Speaker 1: Pushkin Hi, everyone, it's Paul Moldoin. Before we get to this episode, I wanted to let you know that you can binge all twelve episodes of McCartney A Life and Lyrics right now, add free by becoming a Pushkin Plus subscriber. Find Pushkin Plus on the McCartney A Life and Lyrics Show, pedge in Apple Podcasts, or at pushkin dot fm slash Plus.
Speaker 2: One thing we used years later in the Sergeant Pepper album was something that I experienced I had as a kid.
Speaker 3: I would listen to some shows on the BBC.
Speaker 4: It's the Ken Dot Show and it would often.
Speaker 2: Be alive show, whether it be a comedian, and the comedian would come on, came dog, Hello, how are you doing all right? So it's on hey, and they'd be silence.
Speaker 3: And the audience would go arah and.
Speaker 4: Laugh and to me that was like, oh my god, what did.
Speaker 3: He just do?
Speaker 2: And I loved them laughing at the silence because my imagine was he's dropped his trousers.
Speaker 4: No he wasn't.
Speaker 3: On the BBC, He's done a funny face. No, well, what's he done?
Speaker 2: That to me was the start of a sort of fascination with art.
Speaker 3: Of all types. Why did they laugh at that silence?
Speaker 2: I needed to know and I was never going to find out, so I needed to speculate, and art would let me speculated.
Speaker 4: You do a comedy as well, don't know. I didn't play loud.
Speaker 1: I'm Paul mull doon for a while now I have been fortunate to spend time with one of the greatest songwriters of the era.
Speaker 3: And will you look at me, I'm going on to it. I'm actually a performer.
Speaker 1: That is Sir Paul McCartney. We worked together on a book looking at the lyrics of more than one hundred and fifty of his songs, and we recorded many hours of our conversations.
Speaker 2: It was like going back to an old snapshot album looking back on work I hadn't ever analyzed.
Speaker 1: This is McCartney, a life in lyrics, a masterclass, a war, and an improvised journey with one of the most iconic figures in popular music. In this episode, day in of life was in my music room in London, at the top of my house.
Speaker 2: I had and still have a loverly little room with a daily painted piano, and I'd seen a thing of these guys who'd painted a Cadillac psychedelic. So I rang them up and said, we did do a piano for me in a little bit furious at first, but anyway, they did it psychedelic painting, and John would come in and we would sort of sit there for a few hours and write things. And one of us nearly always had the starter. For instance, Ellen Rigby had been my starter and we finished it up together. Day in the life was his starter, which would start by reading the newspaper.
Speaker 5: Read the news today, a bad lucky man who made the grade, and though the news was rough, said.
Speaker 2: I just had to learn when John would bring these things in, it's only these days that I would say, was he talking about himself some that was there some sort of psychological aspect where he's a lucky man who made the grade? And John did round about this time, did get a little bit out in Waybridge doing drugs, and we're a little disillusion because we'd sort of given up playing live. So him bringing that in, I would just go with the picture that he was painting. He was.
Speaker 5: He didn't notice that other nights changed.
Speaker 3: And then he blew his mine out in the car. He didn't know the lights of change.
Speaker 2: But this was about a friend of mine particularly called Tara, was a Guinness. We kind of steered clear of heirs and aristocrats, whereas the Stones didn't know Stones, rather embraced them. A really nice guy, and I say, I used to hang out to go up to Liverpool with him. And yeah, so he died in a car crash in Chelsea somewhere. He'd run the lights, I think, you know, so he didn't notice the lights of change. So this was in our minds, this was about him. He blew his mind out in the car. So again with the drug references, he blew his mind out. And I think we did think you might have been stoned, but that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: You blow my mind. Of course I told him that kind of way.
Speaker 5: A crowd of people stood unstead.
Speaker 6: They've seen his face before, nobody was really sure.
Speaker 2: So that was Tara. He's at the lights and he changed. And then so we're now painting a picture. A crowd of people stood and starred. It's seen his face before, not really sure if he was from the House of Lords. So there's a sort of aristocratic thing. But I think once we've sort of started off with Tara, it doesn't have to stay with him. It can now be anyone in a car, crowd of people looking at who is this guy?
Speaker 4: Or do I recognize him?
Speaker 3: Was he Eli?
Speaker 5: Just a crowd of people turning away?
Speaker 2: John was quite a World War Two buff. He had the works of Winston Churchill. He's a big Winston Churchill fan. I think till later, I think you read.
Speaker 4: A lot about it.
Speaker 7: Was a good writer, he was brilliant.
Speaker 2: I've not read any of this stuff. John had they had, They had a complete set. I remember.
Speaker 3: It's like I said, of encyclopedia, I.
Speaker 6: Just had to do.
Speaker 3: Had they read?
Speaker 2: So we had the film the War, and I just had to look having read the book. It's like a traffic accident where you have to look. That sort of ties back into that. Were turned away this time because they were looking at the traffic accident and now they've turned away because it's the war. But I just had to look. Love to Turn You On, And that was the conspiracy between the two of us, conspiratorial look between us. As we wrote that Love to Turn it, Oh well, okay, this is going to get people talking. We kind of knew exactly what we're doing and that it was being a bit cheeky. The other story about it was this this instrumental break musically, where I at that time had been looking at a lot of listening.
Speaker 3: To a lot of I haven't got stuff.
Speaker 2: That would be like Luciana Berrio and his wife Kathy Beveron and they did shows that like the wheat More Hall and Stockhouse and date there listening.
Speaker 3: To his remember it because.
Speaker 2: Yes, so listening to a bunch of that stuff and not so much listening to it just has just been interested in the concept of it. So I was intrigued by that. So in the middle of the day in the light, because it was sort of a trippy piece, I wanted to have this extraordinary instrumental moment. So I talked to George Marta and I said, okay, the instruction. The instruction here is for everybody in the orchestra to start on the lower snow on their instruments and proceed to their highest note on their instrument over the course of a certain amount of barbs.
Speaker 3: They can proceed at their own pace.
Speaker 2: However they wished to go because I want the kind of cacophony of sound. So came the session and George is a bit dubious about shooting a full symphony Orcases is very expensive.
Speaker 3: We said, that's the Beatles, come on, let's go crazy.
Speaker 2: So and then we started to get fun of the things where he said, what if you're paying all that money?
Speaker 3: He said, you know, do you want them to dress? Because they will? We said, oh yeah. He said what do you want, well, you know, dinner.
Speaker 2: Suits, the sort of black tie, and we said, well, they do funny noses.
Speaker 3: They did actually, But anyway, so we got.
Speaker 2: To the session and I sort of went around sort of saying to them all, okay, might think is crazy starting your bar and.
Speaker 3: I said, you can go anyway we want.
Speaker 2: But they were a bit so George did have to go and rationalize it a bit. So he said to them go from here and be a round about there after ten bars, and we ran about there after fifteen, so he sort of so they did it anyway, and it was a great sound. We reside from Bergson, the Oscar plan, not the Beatles. It encouraged you to think like that, and we were at that period in our growth and we liked the idea that he should be an extension rather than just a continuation.
Speaker 6: Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged the comb across my head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then me I then go back into Fourthland Road, And this is me going to school in the morning. This is my routine. Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a corm across my head, found the.
Speaker 6: Way downstairs and drank a cup, and looking up, I noticed.
Speaker 2: That I was late. That would sort of happen every morning to me, and I would just run to the end of my street where the bus stop was barely catch the bus.
Speaker 6: Found my coat and grabbed my hat, made the bus and seconds for lands.
Speaker 2: It was always a rush, and I knew there was a prefect at the other end at the school with the book and he was going to bust me. If I was one minute past night.
Speaker 6: Way upstairs and had as a smoke, and somebody spoke, and I went into a dream.
Speaker 2: You smoked on the upper deck of buses. So if I'm talking about going on the bus and going upstairs, I immediately thinking them smoking. And the minute I've said the words smoke in the sixties, I'm now talking about cannabis, and the whole upper deck would just be full of cloud of smoke. You know, you would enter that zone.
Speaker 7: Did you think of Sergeant Pepper as a big radio program in some ways.
Speaker 2: Kind of kind of you know, its scope and its imagination was that, and we did use sound effects we found out during during the making of an album like that, you're extending your repertoire and you're imagination, so you're asking for things like a full symphony orchestra. You're asking for things like the sound of elephants running through the jungle.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. I mean, we've talked.
Speaker 7: About this before, the extent which the radio shows were part of the band in your mind, on the front of your mind, but that that actually might have been quite a strong.
Speaker 2: It was a stronger for us on us all because you know, we'd all listen to radio and you have to use your imagination, whereas in TV it's okay, it's wonderful, and movies.
Speaker 4: The thing, but it's laid out for you.
Speaker 2: You can see how Henrietta Gibbs looks, whereas.
Speaker 4: In radio Henrietta Gibbs.
Speaker 3: But I live and breathe and you make your own Henrietta Gibbs.
Speaker 4: Yes, and that was a great thing.
Speaker 2: That was why no one could ever visualize Sergeant Bepper.
Speaker 3: The they tried to make a movie of it.
Speaker 2: Did they It's like, oh, don't do that, because everyone's already got their own.
Speaker 4: Picture Sergeant Dapper.
Speaker 1: And there's Longly Hearts Club.
Speaker 2: Then the joy of this kind of audio approach was that you made your own pictures. If you heard elephants tramping through the jungle, you saw your own.
Speaker 3: Set of elephants.
Speaker 2: You heard an audience laughing for no apparent reason, you made up the reason. And I think that's a very enriching thing that probably all of us from that generation were helped by sort of synapses that were fired as we sort of, you know, lay on the carpet listening to.
Speaker 5: Read news four thousand holes in Blackburn, lankashees.
Speaker 2: And then we go back to read the news today. Oh boy, to top and tailored, and now we have to have another verse. We can't have a lucky man and made the Gracey of the four thousand holes, which is from.
Speaker 8: The newspaper reported in the Daily Mail, January seventeenth, nineteen sixty seven thousand holes in the road in Blackburn, Lancashire, one twenty sixth of a hole per person. According to a council survey.
Speaker 2: There were holes in the streets and like I said, there's four thousand holes in Blackburn.
Speaker 8: If Blackburn is typical, then there are over two million holes in Britain's roads and three hundred thousand in London.
Speaker 5: Well, the holes were rough, small, that comfortable. Now they're not how many.
Speaker 2: Olds it takes to feel around, So you know, the holes became instead of holes in the road, it became a sort of synonym for people absence, kind of just glassholes.
Speaker 1: The inventiveness of A Day in the Life wasn't confined only to the song, but permeated the Beatles approach to the entire album Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band.
Speaker 2: I was with our Roady mal. We had a big bear of a man who was called Mal Evans with our Roady and uh, that's coming back on the plane and he said, will you pass the Sultan Pepper and I misheard him.
Speaker 3: I said what Sergeant Pepper? I said, no, Sultan.
Speaker 2: And I always mantain that one of the things about the Beatles and me and John was that we noticed accidents. Here's the idea we are these four space cadets were just these four people in this slightly weird band. But what it's going to do is gonn of free us up. So we're not going to be the Beatles, which we are now getting a little bit sort of inhibited by having to be those boys. Will now just chuck all that away and we'll be these guys. So I said to everyone, Okay, now, so I want each of us to come up with a list of favorite people because it so I want you know, I want us all to know you because we'll have pictures of them.
Speaker 9: One of the things that strikes me, and I wonder if you'd like to comment on it, is that being an artist really involves having a sense of the whole, the totality of the project and even the product.
Speaker 2: You mean visual artists, any kind of an artists.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean you had a sense of not only playing the music, writing the lyrics, but you know how this thing should look when you gets sided into the world.
Speaker 2: I think if you if you've got a passion for something, you want to be thorough. And I think that's the thing. Sticking with it means that you're actually thinking about it and thinking, well, if we're going to call it's harder PEPPERSONI house combat, what.
Speaker 3: Do they look like?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, well I've got an idea in my brain.
Speaker 2: It's just jumped in my brain, but I will shribble it down, and so that that album was very much like that. But I do think, yeah, you know that that. I I've always had that totality.
Speaker 4: Thing where.
Speaker 2: Music theater performances are concerned.
Speaker 3: As a kid, I would always do that.
Speaker 2: I was sitting with my dad just watching TV and a presenter would come on at the stage to a variety shows on and I would go, he shouldn't have worn that like graysuit. Just worn a dark suit. He would have stood out a bit better. I mean, it was like the Nixon JFK thing. The JFK wore the dark suit and Nixon and it was like, well, he just looked better. So I've always been very involved in that. The Beatles thing. The idea that we had.
Speaker 3: A uniform was sort of one of the original ideas.
Speaker 7: I had some very of this uniform existed already or were you designing that there?
Speaker 3: I suppose that are you designing it? Yeah, because I don't think you'd used this look. You hadn't this frock coat.
Speaker 7: Yeah, with the bottles and things.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's very beatly. It was an instinct.
Speaker 2: So when the Beatles were going to Hamburg, we had a tailor next door to us, mister richards So when I was living in twenty fourth Land Road, I kind of went next door, mister Richardson, you got some materials chose to She gave us a few night sholdren to the guys. We chose a purple sort of wool, the best material for stage. Scratchy, little scratchy little wool anyway, so we got purple pets. And this had come from a very definite experience I'd had when I was eleven in Botlin's seeing this group wear identical clothes and they won the talent contest, and I still have this really crystal clear image of them walking out of that building to go to the pool, and they were all in gray crew next quarters, Tartan flat caps, twat hats as we call them, and Tartan shorts and each with a role towel and anything else. Five of them. It was like ah, and it was like well.
Speaker 3: Mc jay would later called us the foreheaded monster.
Speaker 2: That all came from that, that whole sense of wow, if you do that, people are really going to notice you. And I bet it makes you feel homotroenous.
Speaker 7: Yeah, both from without and from within.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's sort of what happened with the Beatles. And it would probably be me pushing that.
Speaker 2: If you're going to pretend you are Sergeant Peppers, only has to bail to think, oh weare this and this is in Sergeant Peppers, sergeant military epaulets, tassitly things, buttons, and to me it's what it's what you do to get into character. It's somewhat theatrical really. And we went down to Less Square where Berman's the costume he lived and who did theatrical and movie stuff.
Speaker 3: And we all went down the arrange a visit for us.
Speaker 2: We chose our chatterings and got measured, which sort of we did.
Speaker 3: We carried it through. That's what I'm being thorough.
Speaker 2: It's actually it's a it's a lot of what it's about, but it is at the US. Is that going right through all the way. Day in the life, full symphony orchestra, not just messing around here.
Speaker 5: I read the news today, a battle lucky.
Speaker 2: Man who made the great.
Speaker 5: And though the news was rather said, I just had to man.
Speaker 2: I saw the phonograph.
Speaker 1: A day in the life from the beatles nineteen sixty seven album Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Speaker 5: Did you know that changed?
Speaker 1: In the next episode, The Healing Power of Music.
Speaker 6: Take a sad sound and make it better. Remember to letter reteal, then you can start to make it better.
Speaker 1: Het that's next time on McCartney A Life in Lyrics. McCartney A Life in Lyrics is a co production between iHeartMedia NPL and Pushkin Industries.