Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the triple Backflip in your Puzzle Trampoline Routine. I'm your host, A J. Jacobs, and today's guest is the wonderful Charlotte Wilder, Sportswriter podcast host Substacker All sorts of things with Jack of All Trades Jack Jilles. There you go. Welcome, Thank you for coming back. And as you know, we are an audio show, so sometimes we like to do audio quizzes, which is not something you can get in your paper inning puzzles. We did a name that Game show sound effect with Ken Jennings where we would play him a little beeper buzz and he would have to name the game show. One of my proudest moments on the Puzzler I stumped Ken Jennings on a Jeopardy sound effect. No, it's exciting, yes, incredulity.
Speaker 2: No, that's awesome, that's the goal, right it.
Speaker 1: It was from the nineteen seventies version of Jeopardy. It was the harp, the glissando.
Speaker 2: I should still know that.
Speaker 1: Sorry, he was. Yeah, he was excited to be stumped because it's such a rare occasion for him. All right, So for you though we have name that sports sound. So we're going to play clips of sports sounds and you're going to have to guess, and if you get him right, I'm going to say woo. And if you get him wrong, I'll do a raspberry or something or boo something like that. We'll see. But are you ready for sports sound number one?
Speaker 2: Yes? I sure, am maj excellent. Oh I've got you got it. Yeah, it's bowling pins getting knocked.
Speaker 1: Down exactly, but how many? Is it a five? Eight or strike? That's no way you can It was a strike, just so you know, but you got it there was. You didn't have to get the strike part. You got it Allre you ready for number two? Sports Sound number two?
Speaker 2: Yes? Oh it's a short one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this play again. You might want to play a couple of times.
Speaker 2: I have two guesses that might either is on both?
Speaker 1: Tell me both?
Speaker 2: Okay. My first thought was is it pool? When? What is that called when you hit the white ball at the other ones? What it's called a break? A break break?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is that an interesting or a hockey slap shot?
Speaker 1: That is so interesting? It is neither one of those. This is something you would hear on your wonderful show. Oddball about the end be a.
Speaker 2: You're gonna stump me on basketball the way you stumped Ken Jennings on Jeopardy. I shouldn't have made fun of Ken, I did. Okay, I'm gonna listen to it one more time.
Speaker 1: Okay, good?
Speaker 2: Oh? Is it? Is it? Nothing but Nette?
Speaker 1: It's nothing but that. It's a swish exactly, thanks, and just so you know, it's a Kobe Bryant swish. I won't make you try to guess that.
Speaker 2: I don't think I could have, but thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, this one, yeah, some of these are tricky. This next one. Uh, are you ready? Let's listen to Sports Sound number three.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I need to listen again.
Speaker 1: All right now, I am here for hints for this one.
Speaker 2: I have like a sense memory of this. Maybe not? But is this a hockey player getting slammed into the boards.
Speaker 1: No, weirdly, that was a found we were gonna play later, but you just have you scooped us. No, this is in a game a sport that you follow, uh and it was actually it happened to be a game with one of your favorite teams that you we were just talking about last week. So which was exactly.
Speaker 2: It's not like helmets colliding, is it?
Speaker 1: No, no dark, but it is something colliding.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh, of course a j it's a doin.
Speaker 1: It's a doink exactly, and it's a very particular it's like bong woing wing wing wing ling wing.
Speaker 2: Well. I don't think people realize just how deep the sound is, like how tall the uprights are, so that when you hit it there's a lot of metal to vibrate.
Speaker 1: That was interesting to me. I did not know. By the way, this was a Randy Bullock, who was then with the Tennessee Titans, dwinking in a game with your patriots.
Speaker 2: That ectually that was great for the Patriots. That was very bad for the Titans.
Speaker 1: See, I wanted to bring you a happy memory.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Of course that did just bring me right back to where I was when I was watching that game. Wow.
Speaker 1: Great, we're here to help, all right. Last one, let's play clip number. Whatever's the clip number for?
Speaker 2: Is that a tennis rally?
Speaker 1: It is a tennis rally. It is nice some grunting from the tennis court. And Annie, would you like to would you like to guess who might be those grunters.
Speaker 2: Is one of them, Serena.
Speaker 3: No, she is.
Speaker 1: Listed in the top ten grunters. Like I found many lists online, but this one was listed as a higher than.
Speaker 2: Krnakova.
Speaker 1: No, but it's kind of the right era it is now it sounds sounds like Krnikova. I don't. I think she got in trouble and is not allowed to play anymore.
Speaker 2: Caroline Wosnowski or no, it is, well, there is.
Speaker 1: There are two of them, and they were listed as one and two best grunters in some article. Victoria Azarinka is the first, which I didn't know. But the second I didn't know is she's very tall. Russian doping problem, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I can't.
Speaker 1: Martina, No, Maria exactly, you got it. We got but that was just extra credit. You got it. It was the grunting well, very nicely done. Oh by the way, since I spent so much time researching grunts on the internet, I and my friend do a quick supercut of grunts from different sports. This is not really a quiz because it's very hard. But let's just play the grunt supercut really quickly for I try to guess. Sure, you can try to guess. It's gonna be hard, all right. Number six is the grunt supercut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's too hard. I can't guess. So I know that one of them basketball though, I know that.
Speaker 1: You got it. The first one is is Joel Embiid. I think I'm saying his name right, drawing a foul, and the next was shot putter. There's a boxer getting hit, heavyweight boxer, martial arts and the football wide receiver. I think it was a grunt. I looked into it. They grunt sometimes when they make a turn, not even like in there. What's that about.
Speaker 2: I just like the I think people don't fully understand the amount of effort it takes to quickly change direction. I think that's actually this is interesting to me about sports in general, is that when when you're watching a game, say you're watching basketball, and someone sort of you know, juke somebody else or quickly pivots off of their one leg. The amount of strength that takes, if you're going full speed and you're you know, over six five two one hundred pounds is insane. And so I that's also for football. I would imagine.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting. Yeah, it's like the inertia. Yeah, all right, well that is very helpful. Well, I loved having you this week and I learned a lot about sports and you did great, So thank you for coming on. Where can people find more Charlotte Wilder, Well.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Aj. I'm going to need more puzzles. I'm all amped up now. I'm like, can you do more? Can I have some more puzzles?
Speaker 1: Do it off the air? I'm free all night right.
Speaker 2: Uh, you can find me and the co host of Oddball with them and Al Hassen on The Metal Lark for Metal Lark Media, a bunch of other shows a Metal Ark and The Wilder Things dot substack dot com.
Speaker 1: Lovely, And before we wrap up, as always for all you puzzlers at home, here is your extra credit sports sound. It is going to be Jody Sports Sound number five on the lists Jay, so you'll get the answer to that next episode. And puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler Podcast and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello, puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle officer, and I'm here with the extra credit from our previous episode. We played the wide Opposite world of sports with Charlotte Wilder, where every answer is the opposite of a Big four North American sports team. The clue we gave you for extra credit was this hockey team never uses a shift. That's trickier than our usual extra credits. But I bet a lot of you got it. This is the Washington lower cases, the opposite of the Washington capitals. Get it, shift like on a typewriter keyboard. Yeah, you got it. We'll see you next time.