Speaker 1: Pre sale begins March thirteenth at ten a m. Pacific Coach time. Use code R and B money at ticketmaster dot com to get your tickets before public on sale starts March fifteenth. R and B Money, honey real.
Speaker 2: We are Tank take valotizing. We are the authorities on.
Speaker 1: R and B.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen. My name is Tank. I'm J. Valentine.
Speaker 1: And this, ladies and gentlemen, this is the R and B Money Podcast, the authority on all things R and B. Here.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: They said we're doing R and V money tour. I said, if we're gonna do an army money tour, we don't need some R and B money. Yeah, we don't need some expensive individuals.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: They look expensive, to sound expensive and got expensive catalogs. So sitting right here with us right now, you know, let's lady ladies, first, let's let's start with the elegance some of you.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just.
Speaker 1: It starts right here with the expensive carryson up the.
Speaker 3: Y I'm back.
Speaker 1: And then and then you know, we gotta we gotta guy be here man an elder uh lemmarate himself.
Speaker 3: I'mmarade himself.
Speaker 2: He does get emotional, Sir Carl.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, yes, as y'all man, man, y'all so much read What made you come up with this idea?
Speaker 1: I mean, we uh, we need the tour. The album needed a tour, The movement needed a tour, you know, for for us R and B money is it's a call out to everybody, you know what I mean, that everybody that will and are able to assume the responsibility of making sure the R and B that we do, you know what I mean, rises back to the top and carries on. So this call out to you guys was necessary because you know, we've all been holding this fort down for quite some time, and now.
Speaker 2: We get an opportunity to do it together.
Speaker 3: I just asked you because it's just.
Speaker 4: I just kind of always admired, you know what I'm saying, you being able to have vision.
Speaker 3: You know, I watch.
Speaker 4: I watch more than I say, you know, and one thing that I'm anybody that knows me knows that I'm a fan of the rap act. Always been a fan of the what they call the gentleman music, you know, And so studying Frank Sinatra, he created opportunity. You'll find that out very much like Red Fox created opportunities for his comrades and for other people in the genre. And I just thought I was really unique. And we, you know, are not without that because we have definitely you know, we definitely have our R and B officers, shall we say that, do that for us man? You know, Keith Sweat, you know, just one of those cats. And you know it's just a few others that that that you and I and Carrie I love to work with down through the years. And I just just you know, when you called me, the first thing I said to myself, because you know, the right brain is always talking to the left side.
Speaker 5: So when you called me about this tour, the first thing I said was, Wow, this dude really has visions. Because we needed something to remind people how important what we do with.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. I mean, we just you know, you've been on the Army Mighty podcast.
Speaker 1: You all your stories are I just sit here and but I think you know, no, no, you will not. I think we needed you know, as the men you know we are, we are the brawn, you know what I'm saying. But the ladies needed real representation, you know what I'm saying. And they needed it to have some class, you know what I mean, and the beauty to go along. So this is she makes us look good. This is what they says.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't letting it happen. Come on, come on, dag out as Jay saying, you know you gotta take carry right, Yeah, the post we do.
Speaker 4: What do you mean you mean?
Speaker 2: All right? Because too many of y'all.
Speaker 3: To many of y'all.
Speaker 6: No, I'm happy. I'm honored. I'm really honored. I feel like some of me just want anything. We're gonna have fun every night, and I feel I feel like, well, I know fans are gonna be recepted and they're gonna feel that. They're gonna know we're friends, we're family, We're fans.
Speaker 4: Of each other, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna be out there in front of the house a lot of nights fanning the hell out.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know.
Speaker 6: What I mean as a fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 6: I had to think that world.
Speaker 3: But I think it's going to be really fine.
Speaker 4: Is that people, a lot of fans get an opportunity to see exactly how vocally skilled you are. They don't A lot of people are are a lot of people lean more towards they hit records, and sometimes those records, the records, they don't yeah, yeah, they don't reflect what you're really capable of doing.
Speaker 1: So we were just singing here just now and Mike City, who was our brother, he was like, carry got that.
Speaker 5: I said, yeah, Carr, there's a lot of people you know what I mean, really don't know.
Speaker 4: But they get to see it every night though, you know. Yeah, you see the modest.
Speaker 3: We've been. We've been in the trade together already.
Speaker 2: See the models, because you came out before all. But I say that back, Jay came out before all of us.
Speaker 1: But I remember being I remember being young, just getting side and I remember going to somewhere in New York and I remember you walking just kind of working the room.
Speaker 2: And somebody tapped me and that's.
Speaker 1: Was it, Okra, Mic No, No, it was some type of event, you know, like a convention or something like that, and they would just kind of make you know, working through the rounds.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So you know, my question is you've been touring for a long time. Yeah, my first tour was in ninety seven, but I was with somebody. You've been touring as yourself. What do you think the difference is between you know, that time of touring and what you've experienced in the recent years of touring.
Speaker 4: Well, the I'd say the thing that stands out the most of me is that his social media algorithms are somewhat you know, spilled out onto the state and you can kind of see reflections of that, uh with how the rappers go through their catalogs. You know, it used to be, you know that you could get at least two and a half minutes of a record, but now you're getting forty five seconds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no of it.
Speaker 4: So I think that that that, you know, that's really that that's something that just kind of stuck out for me.
Speaker 1: So as a fan here because I'm going to be there as purely as a fan.
Speaker 2: Well, now listen, this does this, this.
Speaker 4: Whole Jay just comes with take and he gonna say, Nope.
Speaker 2: You niggas gotta pay me.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to be there as a fan.
Speaker 1: So as a fan, I want to make sure that all three of y'all are gonna sing the whole damn song. Okay, whole damn Soul, whole damn song.
Speaker 3: All three and damn song all half records that we.
Speaker 4: Cannot escape when you when you said that.
Speaker 2: I'm one of those guys.
Speaker 3: Man, when you thought that, it made me.
Speaker 1: It made me think about my set list and how I do my songs and you and I'm really listening, I'm really pointing out, Okay, I do I do bridge hookout and then I do I do first hook vamp like, and I've made the adjustment. I only made that adjustment. As as the social attention span, has it.
Speaker 6: Has affected, it definitely hasn't. And it's probably not something we ever ever even thought about doing. We've all had it. We've just been it's evolved. Like do I only really do forty five seconds now?
Speaker 3: Mind you?
Speaker 4: When you have a catalog like the Isley Brothers, of course you can only fit for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I think the Jay's point though, it's like, I think we're getting ready to go into a space where our fans who are in very seasons bands right and and have had really real experiences with our songs.
Speaker 2: Every word from.
Speaker 1: Mean something because I mean I think for me too, I've as we went on the road and as you've toured, and I always walk.
Speaker 3: Around the venue.
Speaker 1: I'm always and I just people watch. You know that about people watch and I get to hear people talking about, oh, I wish he would have I wish he would have wish he like, damn they didn't go to this part, and the fan really want to see that. They really you know what I mean, Like, I get it. You know that over the years, now it's these you know shows with ensemble cast it's ten artists. If it's ten artists, I get it, it's three of y'all.
Speaker 3: Though, I want you to play the song.
Speaker 6: What's funny is.
Speaker 3: The crowd let me? Yeah.
Speaker 6: I had already planned to do that. I said this this tour, I want to do some of the slower records that I never really get to get off, some of the vocal records that I never get to get off and play. I'm doing the second verses of stuff I probably never saw. I might not even remember the second version.
Speaker 4: That surprised at those songs on your projects that think the least of them.
Speaker 6: They're waiting to say it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, some of wear up my idea that people actually like, hey, now you know what I mean, that they actually like that record, you know, in a performance setting, until I actually get it at a wedding.
Speaker 4: And then I had an opportunity to see the response from it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll go to YouTube and check the views on the audios of all of all of the album songs and just and see there's one of them. Because we had a record working with me that we had no idea that was jumping in everyone's bedroom and strip club. We had no not say, no idea, no idea. The instrument, the guitar came on and all of a sudden, I love that record.
Speaker 6: I love that record.
Speaker 2: Didn't do it.
Speaker 4: I wished, I wish came out and was an absolute smashed for four weeks and.
Speaker 3: I knew nothing about what was going on at all. I knew nothing about it at all. Well at the time.
Speaker 8: At the time, we were on the European leg of the No Way Out tour, the European the European leg, Yeah, and I didn't know if.
Speaker 4: I didn't know if, but it's a real tour of their legs.
Speaker 3: I did, but I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't know what was going on in the States, and you know, social media wasn't then.
Speaker 3: So they had a gala for Clive Davis. He was leaving Arista Records.
Speaker 4: I'm sure y'all remember that he was leaving Arista, and they had this big gallop for Clive and they said, you guys got to hurry up and get back. You got to get there. So instead of going back to New York, we flew into la and landing at Lax, I was like, okay, all right, So we're driving down Lost.
Speaker 3: You know, we're driving.
Speaker 4: Down and at the time, you know, the street team was how you got things done. That's how you got things done. And we're riding down and all I seen was rolls and rolls and rods of these big orange posters and I remember, I'll never forget. They were fire orange and it was Carl Thomas. I wes Carl Thomas, I wis. I ran out And from the time that I landed at the airport to the time we made it to the hotel, I think I've heard the song maybe six times between two radio stations, and I think that I think that that's when it kind of sunk in.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, I'm hot.
Speaker 3: It's a different situation.
Speaker 2: Than he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, I'm telling you, man, I felt like I'm telling you.
Speaker 3: I felt like Stony Jackson, Jill you.
Speaker 4: I felt like Stony. I like that it's different when you when y'all like stony, I mean Jay.
Speaker 1: As a as a as a manager and a facilitator of all things behind scenes and in front of the scenes, speak to some of the tech, the technical things that go into putting something like this together. Oh well, I think it's the part that people don't see is just the negotiation of it, of everything, of everything. Like people think that you just go on tour and you just show up and people gonna be there and oh, y'all got records, But it's like, no, you don't understand. They're tech writers. There are you know. It's the staff. It's you know, making sure that you have everything in place and that you guys can do your job, because y'all shouldn't have to deal with oh they said they don't got it just has to be like, oh no, it's there as much as you can, right. And I think our situation sometimes is a little different. I even wanna say sometimes it is.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: Different because you also are a musician, right, so since he plays it's really technical, you know what I mean, It's like, yeah, so did.
Speaker 4: They have to this and this and they're gonna have the right now, And I'm like.
Speaker 1: We've been in situations where we've literally been moving rises.
Speaker 4: Back literally but is it literally like green Book, like the movie Green Book, Like they don't have a certain piano, like you can't.
Speaker 1: Well he's easier though, you know what I mean, but figure it out. But when he says, like the stuff, we got it, we'll get into because we're also like, we're the guys, it's like, well, how do we make it happen? So we get to a venue and the people are ten rolls from the front of the stage. That's where they start. Me and this guy, we said, hey, guys, listen, we'd love to touch the people. And she's like, well, you know, we don't have a lot of staff here to move this. This is a barrier, but still barrier going across the whole arena.
Speaker 2: We said, listen, we.
Speaker 1: Will gather people and we will move it ourselves if you will allow us to. And we just start gathering people with the promoters and everybody, and we moved the still barriers ten rows and we help them put down chairs. Because the experience, again, people don't understand, they don't know the technical style, like you said, they just know they're not having a good time.
Speaker 3: It's just really crazy.
Speaker 6: That's my beef.
Speaker 1: You deal them with different stuff that's you know, a sound check that may not be working, or you know, somebody forgot the end.
Speaker 4: But the only all the tours that I've ever been on, the only ones that work is when you have the see a need, feel a need spirit with it, because you got to understand it's just like see a need feeling, see a need feeling need uh. And it's it's kind of like touring is kind of like putting together a great band.
Speaker 3: You know, no band that the first thing that there.
Speaker 4: Is that no band is meant to stay together fab no matter how much you like them, never stay together fever. And just like that, no tour is designed to go flawlessly without hiccup.
Speaker 3: And with our challenge, our.
Speaker 4: Responsibility is to make sure that the audience don't know that it's.
Speaker 1: Long to be accomplished, that it's all all good good.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Listen, when I first day Jay Maiitan, New Orleans, Listen, Madicans, we start, we started, not.
Speaker 6: I was just say I'm hitting oysters before the show.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get fifty on them.
Speaker 3: But that's cool. It's the starting there.
Speaker 4: It's cool be starting there because we just like just just looking at the routing and we have a lot of great R and B cities.
Speaker 3: Orleans, you know, the birthplace of.
Speaker 4: Jazz, Congo Square, the home of.
Speaker 2: The essence Fast.
Speaker 4: Their love for musicality, Yeah, yeah, yeah, their love for rhythmic blues, their love for black music period, just kind of you know what I mean, it stands out. Uh, it's it's kind of like being in d C performing in the Chocolate City, one of the greatest.
Speaker 3: We got two nights. You have two nights in DC. Yeah, yeah, and we should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got too from the D n B.
Speaker 3: I know that's special for you.
Speaker 4: Mama coming home, Mama coming home.
Speaker 1: I want to say this man. Of course, big fans of you guys. Man, I love I love you guys. I love that we're doing this together. I think I think, you know, as much as the R and B my occur is the overlay of.
Speaker 2: The whole thing.
Speaker 1: I think the the nuance of what we're gonna take on.
Speaker 2: Is see a need feeling it.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna be We're gonna be that because our communication between us is really dope. And and if I need someone will come come to you. Or will come to you and if you need something, you come to me. You come to me and and that's how we're gonna that's how we're gonna kill this team. Man, We're gonna kill it together.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'd like this chur to be an example to other artists on if you're determined to do it, that you can make any situational work and not only make it work, but you can thrive. Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: That is that is that is the objective of this whole thing is to drive you know what I mean, so that we can have more legs.
Speaker 2: We don't want.
Speaker 4: Leg me personally, I think a Caribbean leg of.
Speaker 1: There's a Carabbean leg, an off sea leg, there's an Asian leg.
Speaker 2: You love so.
Speaker 3: Mu Nation, who are you know?
Speaker 1: Partners in this we we we're trying to figure out what the overseas.
Speaker 3: Leg because Carlo.
Speaker 2: Just came back from overseas.
Speaker 4: They absolutely love us in Japan. Oh man, you've got show train radio stop front now shout out.
Speaker 2: To the leg, the leg.
Speaker 6: We need legs, but we gotta kill it. We gotta make sure our fans come out support this one.
Speaker 3: Have some legs, love it.
Speaker 2: I love legs. Yes, leg trying to We need to lege your needs, long Legs.
Speaker 1: Bill Needs Yeah, and the Army Money touris on the way.
Speaker 2: Listen. My name is Tank Downtown.
Speaker 1: This is the Army Money Podcast, the Party on All Things On. We are going on the road, The R and B Money Towards your Boy Tank.
Speaker 2: It is Carrie Hilson and it is Carl Thomas.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 2: R and B Money.
Speaker 1: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at Jy Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com, forward Slash R and B Money