Speaker 1: Originals. This is an iHeart original.
Speaker 2: In twenty eleven, after many delays, one of the most publicized musicals in all of theater history finally opened on Broadway. It had a brand, it had tons of buzz, and it elicited some strong reactions. It was quite the talk of the town.
Speaker 1: There were bugs.
Speaker 2: The show kept stopping. I mean, the hubbub about the show was everywhere.
Speaker 3: The new actor injury or technical malfunction every week was so bizarre.
Speaker 2: The musical was Spider Man Turn Off the Dark, and for a show that aimed to rise above all of Broadway musicals in terms of scale and ambition, its downfall would turn out to be long and treacherous.
Speaker 4: My husband and I were in the audience tonight Chris Tierney fell and it was awful.
Speaker 2: We honestly thought we'd watched someone die on stage. That fall didn't just traumatize the audience, it echoed a warning. The ambition of Spider Man Turn Off the Dark was swinging dangerously close to the edge. Welcome to very special episodes and I heeart original podcast. I'm your host Danish Schwartz and this is Spider Man Turn Up the Pod. I am so excited about this episode. This has been a subject that has actually been my obsession for a very long time. Jason, I feel like you know that this is the subject that I like bring up in conversation that has just like warped my brain in a way that has altered my physical chemistry permanently. I'm talking, of course, about the Spider Man Turn Off the Dark Musical, a musical I never saw, but that astounds me and delights me to this very day, nonetheless.
Speaker 5: And not just you. We used a quote from this episode in our trailer a couple months ago, and I think more than any other potential episode that people heard about, this is the one we get the most inquiries about when is the Spider Man? And then they often have some story. Sometimes it's not even a good story, like oh I almost went. I knew someone who went, like people just want to be associated with this musical, and I'm so excited we get to tell this story today.
Speaker 2: My best friend did see it on Broadway, and she went to one of those magical performances where something went wrong, and so she has a great story about how, during like one of the swinging scenes, the actor who played Spider Man, Reeve Carney was suspended for like a full ten minutes, just above the audience, like the house lights went on, and this poor guy had to just stay there and he was sort of still doing like pew pew like sort of still staying in character. Like ten minutes is a long time.
Speaker 1: Oh heck were you guys? Are both theater kids correct?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that not obvious?
Speaker 5: I was the star of the fifth grade play, but that was the peak of my acting career.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine either one of you standing on stage for ten minutes and you have nothing to do, nothing, You're just standing there.
Speaker 2: Quiet, suspended above the audience in character.
Speaker 5: Full minute unbelievable with lots of danger. So I never got to see this show. I was living in the New York area during the entire run. I regret it immentally.
Speaker 2: Now I can't believe you didn't see I'm so jealous. I was too young, I did not live in New York, and I did not have disposable income. That's my excuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to see it too. I also really would love to if I could. And this is like an imaginary thing, but you know, the choreographer Bob fosse All that jazz. That guy, right, I would love to be able to talk to him about this show, you know, like, hey, well after you were gone, they did Spider Man. I just like see him ask questions.
Speaker 2: I would love to see Stephen Sondheim's face during a production of this show. For anyone who has not gotten to see the show, and obviously it's no longer running so you can't. You can go to YouTube and look up. I hope it's still up. So I'm saying this, but there is a David Letterman performance of the Broadway show of them singing a song called a Freak like Me Needs Company, and you can see David Letterman's soul leave his body during the performance. Over the course of the performance, you can track it. You see the life draining from his eyes.
Speaker 1: Speaking your souls leaving their body. Any story for me that involves the youtubo's guitarist, the Edge, walking out of a room and then walking back into a dead man, I'm just like tell me this story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't expect deaths, and I knew there were injuries, but.
Speaker 1: This is all surprised. The story dispacked with surprise.
Speaker 5: All right, why don't we get into this one? And we will catch up on the other side.
Speaker 2: As with many recent Broadway shows, the jumping off place for the Spider Man Musical was a movie, specifically the two thousand and two Toby McGuire Spider Man Film, which not only got solid reviews but raked in over eight hundred million dollars. With Disney properties like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King leaping successfully from the screen to Broadway, Marvel was keen to map a similar course for Spidey's newly invigorated brand. Marvel placed spider Man's Broadway future in the hands of charismatic producer Tony Adams and his business partner, entertainment lawyer David Garfinkel. The two convinced no less than Bono and The Edge of U two to compose the songs for the as yet unwritten show. For the director, Bono and the Edge pushed to bring on Julie Taymour, whose production of The Lion King became the most profitable musical of all time, grossing eight point two billion dollars worldwide. Julie Taymour was universally hailed as an uncompromising visionary, and her clout had now earned her creative control over the forthcoming Spider Man musical. To that end, Taymoor would not only direct, but co write the script or in theater, lingo the book. In two thousand and five, the call went out for prospective writing collaborators to submit a sample scene. Playwright and TV writer Glenn Berger was one of many who submit it, but instead of a scene, he wrote a rambling conceptual treatise. It read, as he tells it, like he was on drugs, but good drugs.
Speaker 6: Maybe it wasn't the most exquisitely structured piece of writing I've ever done, but it was enough for me to get an interview, and by the ending of the interview it became clear that the thing that they actually wanted was a scene. So I said, oh, yeah, absolutely, a scene. Great idea. So I said, I'll have it to you tomorrow morning, and I sped back home upstate and spent the night writing a scene. And actually I knew that next morning at dawn birds or twittering, and I press send, and I kind of knew that I nailed it, actually, And so it wasn't surprising when later that afternoon Julie called me and said, yeah, yeah, you Got It.
Speaker 2: Eager to get started, Berger relocated to New York City. Meanwhile, producer and show cheerleader Tony Adams was hammering out the official deal. On October twentieth, though, tragedy struck. Adams had just gotten Bono's and Taymor's signatures on the contract and went to secure the Edges. The Edge left the room to get a pen, and when he came back, Adams was slumped over the table. He'd suffered a stroke. Two days later, he was dead. The show was now in the hands of Adam's partner, David Garfinkel. While Garfinkel was extremely well connected in showbiz circles, he had never before produced a play or musical. Nevertheless, a reading was planned for mid two thousand and seven. Bono and The Edge started writing songs, leaning heavily on their distinctive rock style, while also incorporating faux classical vocal harmonies and typical musical theater razzle dazzle. Glen Berger worked on the book, building dialogue out of the treatment he and Taymor had created. The first act of the show was to be Your Classic Origin Story, as laid out in the comic book, and two thousand and two film Bullied teenager Peter Parker gets bitten by a genetically modified Spider, is sheathed in the iconic form fitting red suit, and becomes the titular superstar, great power, great responsibility, you know the deal. However, the intention was to marry that well known tale with Taymoor's many bold theatrical new ideas. One of these editions was a geek chorus, a pun on the ancient theatrical device of a Greek chorus. Spider Man's geek chorus consists of of four talkative nerds who would move the action along by relaying Peter Parker's thoughts and narrating portions of the events. Here's cobook writer Glenn Berger.
Speaker 6: The idea is that the geeks are generating this sort of fan thick version of Spider Man based on the one hundred and fifty comic books that they've read, and they're arguing about it. What's the best scenario for the fights that they've read or they can come up with, And then when the girl geek, miss Arrow, introduces this character of Arakney from Greek mythology, this character ends up sort of taking the show away from the geeks. That's the idea at least.
Speaker 2: The myth of Arakney was referred to in the first issue of the Ultimate Spider Man comic book series. Basically, Arakney was an arrogant weaver of tapestries transformed through godly intervention into the world's first spider. Tamoor conceived this character as the show's primary villain and planned for the show's second act to end with a jaw dropping battle between a Rakney and our web slinging hero. In the fall of two thousand and six, the four creatives Bono, the Edge, Julie Taymoor, and Glenn Berger gathered at Bono's New York City penthouse to read through the first draft of the script and listen to early versions of the songs. In this intimate setting, it seemed like the show was off to a great start, and as the meeting progressed, the excitement mounted.
Speaker 6: When Bono relaxes, he takes off his sunglasses, you know, and they came off, and they were on the coffee table. The rest of the day. Bono and Edge just had these just germs of ideas for you know, some of the big songs that we wanted for the musical like Rise Above. And then their next song was this bouncing off the Wall song, which is just goofy, you know, throw yourself around the room type of song, and Julie's sort of demonstrating how she imagines the choreography to go. So she begins this nutty dance with her, you know, arms flying all over the place, and Bono understands what she's getting at, and so he's getting up and getting excited about it too, and you could just feel this this real, lovely, lovely little electricity, and things got cooking.
Speaker 2: According to Berger, this joyous collaborative work session was when he learned what the full title of their show would be.
Speaker 6: Bono he had a friend whose daughter didn't like when it gets dark when she goes to bed, and so she likes to leave the lights on. But instead of saying, daddy, you leave the lights on, she says, could you turn off the dark?
Speaker 2: Since internationally famous rock stars Bono and the Edge were constantly distracted by things like making best selling albums and playing sold out arena tours as you do, they still had a lot of songs to complete. As the two thousand and seven reading, which would be attended by theater VIPs and Marvel executives drew near.
Speaker 6: Bono and Edge did have their work cut out for them to have a completed score in time for our first workshop presentation in July two thousand and seven. Definitely only about four or five months before that. They didn't really have anything completed completed, but musicians, you know, they just need a deadline.
Speaker 2: A company of actors performed the script and songs in a rehearsal room without sets, props, costumes, or special effects. Despite the bare bones nature of this presentation, the the show seemed to be in good shape. Oh man.
Speaker 6: The feeling after that reading was we were sitting pretty we were set. Obviously there were some things to work out, but we had a hit man. The songs were killer. The uh, you know, the script. It would get some tweaks, of course, but it was basically there, and that was the consensus. I mean, everyone was feeling such relief. Actually, you know, I mean the idea then is that you build on that. But I think that was probably our peak moment in the evolution of the entire show.
Speaker 2: Enter the technical elements, since flying sequences were so pivotal to the Spider Man story, aerial designers got to work right away. They came up with a plan that would allow two performers to simultaneously spring into the air and duke it out while suspended. It was based on the koreening cameras used at football games, with multiple wires allowing for movement in any direction. However, it hadn't been used on humans, and it certainly hadn't been used on humans performing live in a Broadway theater. In the nineteen fifties musical Peter Pan, the flying scenes were accomplished by humans pulling ropes backstage to counteract the actor's weight on stage, but Spider Man's aerial magic would be controlled by automation. You know, technology, that fool proof thing. Most musicals do a brief run in another city before officially opening in New York. It's known colloquially as an out of town tryout. Here's playwright and Broadway actor Eric Ayoa, who saw Turn Off the Dark several times during its run.
Speaker 7: So shows out of town tryout is when they take the show literally, they take it out of town to try it out. You've been in a studio, you've been rehearsing it. It's a very closed experience. And now you're taking in that last part of the puzzle. The audience. Are they reacting, are they laughing? Are they bored?
Speaker 5: When they leaning?
Speaker 7: When are they falling asleep? What's not clear. The best shows and the best teams are the ones that actually use their out of town wisely and listen to the audiences and to what they're hearing, and perhaps take some of those bad reviews and use that to fuel a better version.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Spider Man's innovative technical demands were making an out of town tryout impossible. Producer David Garfinkel made the call they would start rehearsals for the Broadway production Cold, One of Broadway's biggest houses, was booked, the eighteen hundred seat Hilton Theater. Design meetings took place day and night. Enormous comic book style sets were being built, and a lot of money started getting spent. No one would officially confirm the budget at that time, but insiders estimated it at forty million dollars. On February twenty fourth, two thousand and nine, The New York Times announced that Spider Man Turn Off the Dark would begin preview performances in January twenty ten. Casting began for all thirty one roles. Movie star Evan rachel Wood, who had performed in the two thousand and seven reading, accepted the role of Peter Parker's love interest Mary Jane, and Alan Cumming was on board to place Spidey's nemesis, the Green Goblin. Though opening night was discreetly delayed until February twenty ten to allow for massive renovations to the theater, Excitement swelled amongst the creative team and the newly cast actors, that is, until they found out the production had run out of money, like completely. In an interview with Sixty Minutes, Bono claimed he found out things were in such bad condition when he read about it in the New York Post. Luckily, Bono, being Bono, knew a few people. He convinced Michael Cole, former chairman of Live Nation, to take the producing rains. In regards to the show's finances, Cole said, quote, I can summarize in one word, bankrupt. Turn off the Dark shut down entirely for the remainder of two thousand and nine. While Cole struggled to secure funding, Evan rachel Wood and Alan Cumming both bowed out for on screen jobs, and work didn't resume at the theater until March of twenty ten, while the show struggled to regain its financial footing. Rehearsals officially began that August. Director Taymor shuttled back and forth between the rehearsal room and the theater, which had been renamed the Foxwoods, where sets were getting installed and the aerial team was mapping out how to get, among other things, Spider Man to ride the Green Goblin mid air like a surfboard. A lot of scenes were so complex they couldn't be worked out until the start of tech rehearsals, which was a scary prospect. But what else could be done in the same sixty minutes piece. Taymor owned that fear, saying, oh, yeah, I'm scared. If you don't have fear, then you're not taking a chance. But what I do have is a team. If your collaborators are there, which is what answers the fear question, and they all are as an passioned as you are and believe in it, your fear is mitigated. Soon enough it was time to begin the all important tech rehearsals. Given the show's enormous scale, it made sense that things were going to go slowly. What worried co writer Glenn Berger though, was just how slowly.
Speaker 6: After four days we were getting through forty two seconds of the show for every hour of Tech.
Speaker 2: And to make matters worse, it was only a few days into Tech when the first injury occurred. A dancer playing one of several flying Spider Man was supposed to flip backwards while being hoisted into the air by cables and land on a ramp that was lowering into place behind him. On September twenty sixth, the ramp didn't lower to the proper degree. The off kilter landing fractured the dancer's foot and broke his toe. Then, during a presentation for sales agents and ticket brokers on October nineteenth, another dancer was performing the very same move.
Speaker 6: I remember seeing him WinCE when he made the landing, and I could tell that something might be up.
Speaker 2: Something was up, all right. The dancer had broken both his wrists.
Speaker 6: So alast two injuries now. And really the other thing that no one was really saying out loud, but it was in the back of all our minds, was I hope this doesn't leave the theater, because it would be good if this got out.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately it did. People were talking about Spider Man, and not in the kindest terms, But no one seemed to take more delight in Spider Man's misfortunes than New York Post columnist Michael Reid, who said of the show quote, I've got my foot on its neck and I'm having too much fun to take it off. Reedel gleefully reported any Spidy gossip that crossed his desk, proclaiming in mid November that the budget was now up to sixty five million dollars. Here's dancer Bethany Moore, who months later would wind up getting cast in the show.
Speaker 4: It's not like people were scared to audition. Everybody wanted in on this big blockbuster show.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you had.
Speaker 4: Some like little titis in the background, but the overall was like, they're doing what they can with what they got.
Speaker 2: I just hope everybody's okay. With increased safety measures in place and the New York Department of Labor coming by to sign off on the dangerous stunts, the rehearsal process slowed even further, do either to safety concerns or a need for more time or bow. With the official opening night was moved yet again to January two, thy eleven.
Speaker 4: Everything was so high tech, the pit lists and the air pressure needed for those, and everything was computerizing. If it was off a half an inch of that, emergency stops would happen.
Speaker 2: But hey, the Act one finale, where Spider Man rides the Green Goblin like a surfboard, that at least was looking really cool. Suddenly, before anyone was fully prepared, the first paying audience was filling the Foxwoods Theater for the first preview performance. It was November twenty eighth, twenty ten, and all those people who'd been whispering about the show on the outside were about to find out if it lived up to the hype. The show kept stopping. I think there were four or five holds the first night.
Speaker 3: All I remember is hearing about a new actor injury or technical malfunction every week.
Speaker 7: The Spider Man, who was supposed to repel down into the aisle missed his mark by a few inches, and I ended up having most of Spider Man's torso on my lap, which wasn't the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 2: The first preview of Spider Man Turn Off the Dark ran three and a half hours. Technical issues brought the show to a halt five times. In certain moments, actors dangled helplessly over the heads of the waiting audience while technicians troubleshot the problem. Still, given the size of the undertaking, the fact that there were only five holds was seen by some as a win. Let's hear from dancer Bethany Moore.
Speaker 4: I had seen the show a few weeks before auditioning for it, not knowing that it had anything to do with my future, and though I was kind of confused with some of the more musical theater moments, the spectacle was unlike anything I had seen. It was like on par with the Circusolay kind of thing, where they're flying with silks in the beginning, and the Chrysler building coming out into the audience like a pop up book.
Speaker 2: To make sure that the moments that didn't yet work were raised to the level of those that did, the producers once again decided to move the opening date, this time to February seventh, twenty eleven. There was time to keep working and everyone intended to. Of chief concern was the second act, which was mostly about Spider Man's relationship with mythical Spider Goddess. A Rackney co book writer Glenn Berger, explains.
Speaker 6: The idea was comin. Back one was going to be this grand battle between Spider Man and the Green Goblin, and it was going to be amazing, and there's no way you can top it, but we were going to top it by having Act too be this incredible battle above the heads of the audience, inside this giant web that was going to funnel down from the ceiling over the heads of the audience, and there's going to be this crazy, scrambling spider fight and it was actually going to Act one, but the web funnel that we were counting on didn't work, and so we had to scrap it before even the first preview, and that was a million bucks that you went to a landfill.
Speaker 2: Other moments in Act two were just plain overwhelming, not necessarily in a good way.
Speaker 7: There was this moment that was almost like a fashion runway of villains. They all came at once, and I was like, whoa, whoa, whoall we could really keep this Green Goblin centric.
Speaker 2: Questions about plot clarity, however, paled in comparison to what happened next. On December twentieth, twenty ten, a dancer named Chris Tierney, who did some of the show's most impressive stunt work, was improperly connected to the safety apparatus that suspended him mid air in a live recreation of a comic book style leap in front of that night's audience. Tierney made the leap, and, with a sickening sense of dread, felt the cable go slack with these split second physical intelligence required of a professional at his level. Tierney twisted himself around so he wouldn't land on his head. Mercifully, he landed on his back after falling thirty feet straight down. He broke three vertebrae and four ribs and fractured his elbow, scapula, and skull. The very next day was supposed to have been, at one point, the show's triumphant opening. Instead, Tierney's life threatening fall was making headlines, and a bootleg video of the catastrophe was starting to be spread. First, the theater community took note, with an original Rent cast member writing on Facebook quote they should put Julie Taymore in jail for assault, and Tony Award winning actor Alice Ripley tweeting quote, does someone have to die? Where is the line for these decision makers. I am curious, but soon attention crossed over into the mainstream.
Speaker 3: Now you're all familiar with the Broadway musical Spider Man.
Speaker 6: It's been having its troubles and what had to close down for a while.
Speaker 2: Late night shows poked fun at turn off the Dark, as did Saturday Night Live repeatedly.
Speaker 1: We specialize in assisting clients where sustained injuries while working at or attending the Broadway musical spider Man too perform.
Speaker 2: Publications from The New York Times to The Onion dissected the show's misfortunes. Joan Rivers started opening her stand up act with a moment of silence for quote those Americans risking their lives daily in spider Man the Musical. Here's playwright Eric Ulloa again, who saw the show several times during its run, speaking about the aftermath of Tyranney's fall.
Speaker 7: Of course, when it happened, it was all over the news. I'm like, every local news was on that. And then the weird thing is like and here is just part of societal collapse. Ticket sales went up. Ticket sales went up because it became this weird thing that like you may see someone maimed on Broadway.
Speaker 2: Previews and rehearsals eventually resumed. Opening night was moved again to March fifteenth, but by this point the New York critics had had it. They made a controversial move publishing reviews of Turn Off the Dark on the show's previous opening night February seventh. In his New York Times review, drama critic Ben Brantley said, quote, only when things go wrong in this production does it feel remotely right, if by right one means entertaining, before musing that it may be one of Broadway's worst shows.
Speaker 6: So it became clear to some of us working on the show that things needed to be changed in a more drastic fashion than we were changing them in the preview period. And so these two camps ended up forming and bought on Edge and Me to begin with, we're sort of trying to strike a middle ground to find a way to move things forward. Cut this and move this.
Speaker 2: Inspired by offhand observations made by a crew member, cobook writer Glenn Berger had begun reinvestigating the show's structure. His collaborator didn't exactly approve.
Speaker 6: Julie was in the camp of let's implement the original vision. And if people start introducing other fixes and visions, you know, that have been generated on the fly at the eleventh hour before this original vision gets done, not only is it going to you know, collapse morale, and not only is it vetted in the same way that this original vision was vetted, but really is it going to be as good?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: Can't we just stay the course and see what we have? And so don't introduce this option, don't want to hear it. So it becomes suddenly it becomes Spyer's Spy.
Speaker 2: In early March, director Julie Taymor gave a TED talk discussing her career. She opened the talk with an oblique reference to Spider Man, saying, quote, anybody who creates knows there's that point where it hasn't quite become the phoenix or the burnt char and I am right there on the edge. But she didn't say anything about stepping back from the fire. If anything, she seemed as keen as ever to keep going. She wouldn't have the opportunity to do so. Exactly one week after her TED talk, the New York Times announced Tamor had been fired the producers, along with Bono and the Edge had responded positively to Glenn Berger's outline for a potential restructuring of show, and they just couldn't find common ground with Tamor on implementing these changes. Adjustments included moving the Green Goblin fight from the end of Act one to the end of the show, making Spider Goddess Arachne less of a major villain, and losing the Geek chorus completely. To help implement this overhaul, a new book writer was added to the mix, Roberto Agire Sikassa. As both a playwright and writer for Marvel Comics, he seemed ideal. The New York Times bombshell articles announcing all these shakeups also stated that performances would be shut down while the show retooled. Opening night would be delayed a sixth time a sixth time to June fourteenth, twoenty eleven. Julie Taymor's replacement was Philip William McKinley, who had directed the Hugh Jackman Broadway vehicle The Boy from Oz, as well as several actual circuses. As McKinley got to work overseeing the changes, preview performances resumed. At this point. It's worth noting that most Broadway shows have about thirty preview performances. By March twenty eleven, Spider Man had blown well past one hundred.
Speaker 6: The risk to upsetting the Apple car is that, you know, a whole lot of apples gets filled out of the cart. And there were things both anticipated and not anticipated when Julie left the building, and so several people who we thought would be retained, like Danny Ezralo, the choreographer, ended up just remaining banished out in California. And there were dancers who, you know, when they were becoming upset that the new choreographer was making them learn all these new dance moves, which was confusing to the dancers because they thought all of this was a script problem, not a dancing problem. But a few of the dancers, a couple of them, said well bye, goodbye. At this point, the show had been running in previews for what like seven months, right, and so it wasn't unusual for there to be turnover after seven months. It was just unusual that there was turnover after seven months for a show that still hadn't opened.
Speaker 2: Dancer Bethany Moore, again, I got a call from my agent, and she says, Bethany there's a last minute replacement call for Spider Man.
Speaker 4: Can you make it in two hours? And so I called my agent back and I was like, I will be there in two hours. So I put my hair in a messy ponytail, grabbed some shoes, a shirt off the floor. Look looking back on it, I looked kind of like a rock star. I walk in there and Chase Brock is in there, and I love his stuff. It's very quirky and actor driven, and so I'm just loving this. I feel like I'm doing Thriller and Rup Paul's Drag Race in one combination, and I am thrilled. I left feeling great. I was like, I didn't book it, but I had a great time. This was so much fun. My phone rings just hours after leaving, and it's a two one two number, and we always have a joke if we don't know what two to one two, it's Broadway and I answer it and I couldn't feel my face, I couldn't feel my hands. And with my agent saying, you've got it and you start tomorrow. So I left there, went straight to the place where I was working in Hill's kitchen, I said, I quit. I I'm on Broadway, Bye, Sorry, and wow. We started the next day.
Speaker 2: Bethany Moore was the last performer cast in the lead up to the show's actual opening. All the upheaval meant that Bethany, who was brand new to the show, and the rest of the beleaguered cast who'd been at it for months and months, we're now performing version one point zero, aka the Julie Taymor version, while rehearsing a very different version two point zero. During the day.
Speaker 4: We would learn a new dance in the same song that we had been performing at night in our previews, so we would have to remember what we rehearsed in the morning, not do that at night because it hadn't been tecked. But then you had to go back the next day and teck the one that you'd done before, so you couldn't do the show that you had.
Speaker 2: Done that night.
Speaker 4: We would be backstage and we'd look at each other, like, how does it go? What are we doing tonight? If you saw a whole where there was a light, you're like, that's probably where I should be.
Speaker 2: When they had to hold mid show for technical issues, the cast had a little fun.
Speaker 4: It became almost like a game, so our stage manager would sometimes put on single Ladies, and everybody we ended up having to learn the single eighties dance, or making our own version up and doing it in the ridiculous costumes that we happened to be wearing at that time.
Speaker 2: And when a flying spider man got stuck dangling over the audience's heads.
Speaker 4: He'd pretend to be swimming up there doing the backstroke, and he would also wave.
Speaker 6: At the kids.
Speaker 2: Oh, and the kids loved it.
Speaker 4: They just thought that was the coolest thing.
Speaker 2: The budget was now seventy million dollars. Finally, on April seventeenth, the company played their last performance of Version one point zero. The actors comprising the Geek Chorus promptly lost their jobs, and the show shut down once again, so that the remaining cast and crew could go back into three weeks of tech. In Sunnier News, Chris Tierney, the dancer who had been seriously injured after falling, recovered and rejoined the company in April. Version two point zero, which began previewing in may have its fans and its detractors. A lot of director Tamor's stylish flourishes were gone, but the more straightforward plot was certainly easier to grasp. Moving the Spider Man, Green Goblin Aerials showdown to the end of the show instead of the end of Act one made for a satisfying climax two, because the general consensus is that the scene was a knockout.
Speaker 4: Even when we would be putting somebody in, like an understudy, into the Green Goblin fight or something, we would all go sit in the audience. All the lights are up, nobody's really in costume, and we couldn't get enough. Even the cast. We would sit there and watch, like this is amazing. You try to record it on your little phone and it never captured it. Because I wanted to show how cool it was. You just had to be there. I don't think anybody can deny that they were not in awe of those moments.
Speaker 2: Though the glitches never entirely went away. Turn Off the Dark was finally on track to open, but the fact that things were starting to go more smoothly didn't turn people's attention away. If anything, the mockery intensified.
Speaker 4: I didn't really have time or the capacity to care or see what other people were talking about at that point, which probably in retrospect, was a good thing.
Speaker 2: Spider Man was ineligible for the twenty eleven Tony A Wary Words because it hadn't officially opened, but it was used as a punchline throughout the ceremony. Bono and the Edge gamely chuckled from the audience while host Neil Patrick Harris challenged himself to make all the jokes about their show he could in thirty seconds. This included gems such as.
Speaker 5: Spider Man's the only show on Broadway where the actors in the cast they're actually in castsoo.
Speaker 2: This was two days before Spider Man's for Real this time opening night. Co writer Glenn Berger had barely spoken to Julie Taymour after she'd been fired, but she was very much on his mind in advance of this momentous occasion, which had been years in the making.
Speaker 6: Literally we were about to open. I'm looking at the show and everything that I felt was of worth came from her. We had been talking for years of about what the show was about, and the anthem was rise above, you know, and it was about being the better person and finding ways to move forward. You can talk about it, you can talk about it all the time, but do you live it. It's one thing for artists to like, Oh, these are nice sentiments and I'm gonna put them in a show. But how much of what an artist writes do they mean? Do they live? So in that spirit, I also hadn't slept in like nine months. I called Julie. I knew she wasn't going to pick up. I left the message basically saying, look, everything that's good, it's yours, and you should come and you should see the show, and you should take the bow and accept the plaudits that would be coming to you. Because there was a lot of work.
Speaker 4: Opening night, it felt a little dream like because everybody's energy was buzzy because it was finally happening.
Speaker 2: At the end of the show, late audition director Philip McKinley stood on stage giving shout outs to the cast, crew and creators before calling Julie Taymor up from the house. She received a bouquet of roses and embraced her former collaborators with big smiles all around. After a record breaking one hundred and eighty three previews, a record breaking final budget of seventy five million dollars, notorious injuries, collaborative rifts, and numerous delays, Spider Man Turn Off the Dark had survived its gauntlet of setbacks and controversies and was finally open. The question now, how long would it stick around?
Speaker 1: I saw it well the first act. It was so bizarre, weirdest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 6: I would actually love to see it again.
Speaker 2: Theater fans and columnists speculated that Spider Man Turn Off the Dark wouldn't return its massive investment, nor would it last through the end of twenty eleven. While it's true it never returned its investment, it did remain open on Broadway for two and a half more years. In early twenty twelve, turn Off the Dark had Broadways all time highest grossing week, raking in two point nine million dollars. By the time the twenty twelve Tony Awards rolled around, the now eligible Spider Man received two nominations, one for George Seepen's eye popping forced perspective sets and another for Aiko Ishioka's dazzling costumes. Playwright and Broadway performer Eric Uyoa remembers what was beautiful about the show vividly, even all these years later.
Speaker 7: There was no dearth of great ideas in this show that you know, really interesting choreography that mimicked the idea of comic books and action sequences. I remember the sets were gorgeous. I always think of Spider Man as like some incredible giant opera that happened.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: Sometimes I can go to an opera and while it may not interest me, or it's just much too long and I don't maybe understand the language or whatever it is, like, I hate can leave and go. But Dan, that was pretty to look at. And that's what I can say. You know, with Spider Man as that it did always look great. You know, the money was there, God knows the money was there.
Speaker 2: In early twenty twelve, Spider Man's producers agreed to pay Julie Taymor nearly ten thousand dollars a week for her contribution as original director. By April twenty thirteen, the remainder of the legal disputes were resolved, and, as always happens in showbiz, everyone moved on to other projects. Cast member Bethany Moore left Spider Man Turn Off the Dark in June twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: I left to go do into the Woods in the Park. It felt strange to go from Spider Man to.
Speaker 2: Sondhaig Initially, co writer Glenn Berger had no idea what would be next for him.
Speaker 6: So I found myself washed ashore, you know, at the end of it. And you know, my agent said, Glenn, you've been telling me what's been going on for all these months and years, and I've been on the edge of my seat the whole time. You need to write a book. And that was the last thing I wanted to do, was write a book. But she was right. Someone had to write it, and I was kind of the one who was perfectly placed to write it. And I'm a writer, so I wrote it.
Speaker 2: Berger's book was published in twenty thirteen. Few can argue that the title song of Spider Man, the inside story of the most controversial musical in Broadway history, is hyperbolic.
Speaker 6: Everybody ideally should write a memoir about ten years of their life. When I was writing the memoir, every day I would sit down with my coffee and be very calm, and I start writing, and within an hour, I'm shouting at the screen. I'm saying, Glenn, don listen to that. You have to, you know, And I'm feeling clammy, I'm sweaty, I'm agitated, my heart's racing, and at the end of the day, I say to myself, tomorrow, don't do that. Keep it chill man. What I realized is that I hadn't just recorded these memories in my head. I recorded them in my body, which is what we do, and so I kind of gave into that and just allowed myself to purge. It was like a sauna.
Speaker 2: Producer Michael Cole's son, filmmaker Jacob Cole, shot footage of the show throughout the lead up to opening night, creating a documentary that has yet to be publicly shown. According to one unnamed source, it will quote never see the light of day. On August fifteenth, twenty thirteen, there was tragically, one more major injury during the performance. A hydraulic lift was rising from below the stage. It stopped due to a blockage. A company member's foot was caught between the hydraulic lift and the stage door. The only way to free him was to saw out part of the stage. The performer later sued the producers for negligence, though the producers stated that the injury was due to human error. Eventually, OSHA investigated claimed the producers had failed to secure protective machine guarding and find them after weeks of declining ticket sales, Spider Man Turn Off the Dark closed on January fourth, twenty fourteen. The Foxwoods Theater, formerly The Hilton, is now called the Lyric and is currently home to another brand name star Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Oh and sidebar because of course he's wrapped up in this too. Expelled Congressman George Santos once claimed to be a producer on the show, As with a number of other things, the former congressman has said this is not true. All these years later, questions remain about how the Spider Man Musical failed to become something more lauded. The fact that initial producer Tony Adams died, leaving the show in the hands of producers who hadn't much or any experience in theater is often mentioned. The lack of an out of town tryout surely helped increase the risk from a low simmer to a five alarm fire. Given the show's extremely ambitious tech. It all seemed possible on paper, but in practice.
Speaker 6: You're told that it'll work, and you're told by engineers or whatever, this will be just as good. It will work, I mean, like all the ridiculous dysfunction, which at least was limited to a musical on Broadway.
Speaker 2: There's also been much speculation about how much leeway Taymor got from the producers, how they should perhaps have strong armed her into making clearer or more cost effective choices. And yet here's Julie Taymour, a certified MacArthur genius at the top of her game, someone who has only ever gotten praise for being an uncompromising visionary. It's hard to believe she was ever apt to compromise. Early on, Tamor had had the instinct that the show shouldn't be done in a Broadway theater at all, but more of an arena with circus performers and acrobats. Throughout the process, She'd even told those involved with the show quote, let's not even call it a musical, it's a circus rock and ry drama. Perhaps taking it out of the Broadway frame would have made more sense, after.
Speaker 7: All, wouldn't that be great Spider Man arena tour featuring songs from You two written directly for that arena tour.
Speaker 2: The setbacks, the injuries, the shod in freud. One journalist called it spiden freud of going after the big brand name, the big rock stars, the big theater auteur, the glee of watching them all no pun intended fall. All of that is, of course compelling, but it doesn't reflect those behind the scenes who did excellent work. Nor does it reflect the people in the cast, those Broadway troopers who were far less famous and well compensated than Bono or the Edge or Tamor. Long after the creatives left the building, the cast had to continue actually doing the show night after night, directly in the glare of the spotlight, and yet not ever really spotlet during the long, uphill battle to get Spider Man across the finish line. Maybe the biggest question in all of this is how did they get through it?
Speaker 4: I think the biggest lesson that I learned from Spider Man was learning to love, like, actually love a project, even if you aren't the biggest fan of the musical. And this is going to happen several times during a career. If you're lucky enough to book enough musicals, You're not always going to love the show, but you have to love what you do as a part of that show. And put on my Spider Man sweatshirt and my hoodie over my head, and I'd walk up the stairs around half hour and I would see all the kids coming in in their little Spider Man t shirts or full costumes, and I would hear this little girl in a Spider Man two too, like Santo got me these tickets six months ago. When I'd finally hear, I'm like, oh man, we do something really awesome. It's magic to them, and we get to be a part of that magic.
Speaker 2: Not every Broadway show will become an unqualified artistic or commercial success. In fact, the truth is very few ever are. No show is guaranteed a lengthy run, nor are Broadway theater investors ever guaranteed anything close to a return on their investment. Certainly, no musical is going to appeal to every fan of musicals, nor even less likely, every critic. But you never know what's going to connect with someone watching, what's going to influence the next generation, what moment of live stage magic might inspire someone out there to attempt that uniquely perilous high wire act. The art of making theater.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: Great story lived up to the high one thousand percent, Saron, I know you're going to cast this. Before you do, I just I don't want the movie version of this. I do want that unauthorized documentary that they talked about might exist. I definitely want to see that. I just want to see this show. Can we get the people? This could be a huge thing. They would to gather these people. Put this on again. Everything they're remaking everything, remake this.
Speaker 2: They're still on Broadway. Let's get Reeve Carney back. What's you working on?
Speaker 1: I also would like to see like a cubist version of like all the various bootleg cameras and all the videos there are and stitch those together.
Speaker 5: All right, go for it?
Speaker 1: Casting? What do you got before? Are you casting?
Speaker 5: Also?
Speaker 1: I coined a word with this show? All right? So the Spider Man Show inspired me because I was like trying to describe something about a scene to myself and I was like, well, then all the Spider Man And I was like, wait, spider Man, is that the plural for multiple Spider Man? And I started thinking about, you know the collective nouns for animals. Right, there's like a murder of crows, a crash of rhinos, a bloat of hippos, right, So I was like, what would be the collective noun for a group of Spider Man. So I came up with an amazement of Spider Man.
Speaker 2: An amazement of Spider Man. That's claps to Seren.
Speaker 1: That's why I thought it worked right. But my best friend, he was a huge Spiderman fan, so I had to kind of a running headstart on this one.
Speaker 5: That's good. It wasn't James Lipton, the one who coined a lot of those or helped on Earth a lot of those collective believe.
Speaker 1: That's the story. But I don't know that could be an episode. Did you guys have any very special characters?
Speaker 2: You know, I respect Julie taymor is just vision. I love someone doing something big and new in theater. Look, if you're going to take a familiar property and you're going to bring it into a new arena, make it pun intended a big swing, and so I respect Julie Taymore for her vision.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. No, you know, we had some fun. I don't think there's any way not to with this story. But those people all put a huge amount of time and thought and talent into this, And when something is going badly, Glenn kind of explains, like that first time they realize that, Oh Jude, I hope this doesn't get outside the theater, and that is just such a terrifying human moment. It definitely felt for him and Julie and everyone involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, completely. I think my very special character has to be former Congressman George Santos, who once claimed to be a producer of the Spider Man Show.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, he should bring it back.
Speaker 1: He really should, you know, he should take he should go to Broadway. I think really he's missed his mark. Now you ask about casting, Okay, I thought about this one and it was pretty straightforward, right, So I gave myself only one rule, which was I was trying to cast the fallen Spider Man, you know, the Chris Tianny, the dancer. I excluded all the cinematic Spider Man, and so I went with Donald Glover, who's technically like kind of on the edge of Spider Man. I think he's played him, but he hasn't played him in person. So Donald Glover, Now Julie Tamoor, I thought Jessica Chestin.
Speaker 2: I swear to god, I also think I was also thinking Jessica Chestin to.
Speaker 1: See she's had the same vibe, right, Okay, then so for Bono, I thought Ben Stiller, but if he's not available, Kate Blanchett perfect.
Speaker 2: She can do anything, honestly, she could also be Tamed.
Speaker 1: She could play both, and.
Speaker 2: She could also be Spider. She could be Reeve Carney Goblins.
Speaker 1: Just now, for the Edge, I thought Paul Rudd, just in a surprising, you know, deeply character driven role. And then for the journalist Michael Ridle, I would pick possibly.
Speaker 2: Oh what about Nathan Lane.
Speaker 1: Nathan Lane would be great. Oh my god, but he has had such Broadway energy. I mean it was almost almost too small of.
Speaker 5: A part for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, so how.
Speaker 1: About Matthew Brodericks.
Speaker 2: Just keep it Broadway, I mean, keep it Broadway Broderick can play it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. So there you go. There's my casting.
Speaker 5: Did you have a Glenn Berger, the guy who wrote the book.
Speaker 1: I thought Glen Burger should play Glenn Burger. He was so good as himself. He's the one. Like it's like Jackie Robinson has to play Jackie Robinson in the movie. Glenn Burger plays Glenn Berger.
Speaker 2: I think I'm Mike Glenn Burger. I was picturing like a Bill hatern Bill Hater with glasses, you know, when Bill Hater wears glasses.
Speaker 5: I like that call though, Yeah, did anyone have any other tangent on a run through?
Speaker 1: I did have one thing, which was I tried to imagine, like, you know, you're this theater kid. You want to go to Broadway, right, You've always dreamed of like being on Broadway. You're this dancer. Then eventually you get there, right, and then what happens? Some tech comes up to you and it's like, hey, hey, you know those cameras they got these days that fly over the football field and they got all those cables and motors like you. They guys like, yeah, what if we did that with you? And the guy's like, what do you mean? Like that's our plan? You're gonna love it? Like this is you get the Broadway. And then if it's not that, then you like, let's say you're one of the dancers who falls, right, So then yeah, you're worried you're gonna be buried and just in a Spider Man costume because they can't get it off your body because the bones or whatever. It's just like a tragic scene. I'm like, these poor dancers, they had a dream and then it turned into this.
Speaker 5: I did like listening to the dancer Bethany explaining what it was like totally the audition call, Like, even in the midst of the bad headlines, this was the biggest thing on Broadway. Of course you take that call.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would do it today if they were like Dane, We're doing a revival of Spider Man Turned off the Drug? Do you want to audition? Is a dancer? I don't even know how to dance, And I'm like, I am in that room that show. I'll be a Rackney in the first version.
Speaker 1: Do it do all the shoes totally less dancing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you know what I kind of wish I kind of wish we could have gotten Julie Taymoor's fully unadulterated circus vision, like taking place in like a crazy site specific tent.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that would have been great.
Speaker 1: Also, I was thinking about when they're having all their difficulties, you know that people like in Vegas and Circuslay were like, call me, I can help you with this, Like we do this all the time.
Speaker 5: This is what we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, call us.
Speaker 5: None of us saw this show, But have either of you ever seen anything insane happen in live theater?
Speaker 1: I've never seen like an actor get arrested on stage or anything that wild. But like, I've seen the audience do some wild stuff, like you know, really poorly behaving audience members, not just like you know, way past answering a phone call, like getting in a food fight with like you know, with the drinks that they should not even have in the theater.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So I've seen that, but it doesn't feel like that's not the actors. I feel like I'm associating.
Speaker 2: All right, you want to hear my crazy story?
Speaker 1: Yes, have you seen?
Speaker 2: Did you end up seeing The Music Man with Sutton Foster and Hugh Jackman two times? So here's the thing, and you'll know there's a scene in that and you're like, star power, Hugh Jackman, Son Foster, what charisma. There's a scene I think in the second act, and it's sort of a slow scene where he pushes her or she pushes him, and they break like they make the joke that like she pushed him a little too hard, and then Hugh Jackman sort of steps out a character and is like, ah, what's that thing? You're like, Oh, that's so charming. We get this like winning movie star moment. How casual we got the show where they broke. They do that every single show. They build in in the rehearsals of the show. They built in a moment to break specifically, so it feels special and intimate for the audience.
Speaker 5: The first time I saw it it was so endearing, and then, like I said, I saw it twice thought, Ah, these they're just really good.
Speaker 1: Actors, brilliant. That is so amazing.
Speaker 2: They're such good acting. He truly is the greatest showman.
Speaker 1: I can totally see that.
Speaker 5: That says it all. On another high flying adventure here on the Very Special Episodes podcast. We'll be back next week.
Speaker 2: See you next week.
Speaker 5: Very Special Episodes is made by some very special people. This episode was written by Joe Kenosian Broadway Joe. We call him more on him in a Moment. Our producer is Josh Fisher. Editing and sound design by Chris Childs. Additional editing by Emily Meredof. Story editors are Josh Fisher and Marissa Brown. Mixing and mastering by Beheid Fraser. Original music by Elise McCoy, Research in fact checking by Austin Thompson and Joe Kenosian. Show logo by Lucy Kintonia Very Special Episodes is hosted by Danish Schwartz, Zaren Burnett, and me Jason English. I am your executive producer and we'll see you back here next Wednesday. If you like today's episode, go check out a show called Let's Start a Coup the plot against FDR. That was a six episode series co written and co hosted by Joe Kenosian, who wrote today's story. Lots of character voices. It feels like a play. We ever take that to our first call is the Edge. Very Special Episodes is the production of iHeart Podcasts.