Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Big big shout out to our super producer, mister Maxwilliams. I'm Ben your nol and we're kind of like joining the show in media arrests.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, res Es. Let's jump right in with mo Raka.
Speaker 1: There's something else that we have to get to here. At the risk of sounding a bit pretentious, there is this amazing audio texture. I would haul it to mobituaries in podcast form because you have this tremendous prowess with research and with archival footage. Could you know one of the I think it's actually the very first episode, right about the.
Speaker 3: Kennedy impersonator bond meter. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so in there you're going to the secret CBS vault and pulling footage and stuff. Could you could you tell us like how finding that stuff works?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, so, I mean CBS and there aren't a lot of them, my guests with CBS News a legacy, you know, news Broadcaster is a is kind of a gold mine of history. I mean, the archives go back at this point, I think you know basically I think about one hundred years they are. I'm not, you know, not flattering my bosses by saying this, but it's a mess in there. The archives stuff is just kind of thrown around. It's not They're trying to get it organized, I think. And we were in there. My producer at the time, Megan Marcus, was in there I think essentially in the Kennedy section, and her sister Zoe had said, you know, if you find anything on von Meter, that could be pretty great. So they initially had the idea, and the guy who was working in the archives who was found this great tape, found this great raw tape of a man named von Meter, who was once wildly famous as a Kennedy impersonator, whose career forgive Me, died with the assassination, had much later in life, given an extraordinarily raw interview about what his life was like, I mean really from the beginning. And this was shortly before he died, and only seconds of this interview had ever aired in an overnight show that was long forgotten. So this was virgin material and just so raw and frankly, when I looked at it, I thought it sounds like a sort of Academy Award obsessed. I don't think I am. But I looked at and I thought, this is like a Bill Hayter oscar like the guy, like the way he just he looks, and I could see Bill Hatter basically doing this. But to find that kind of archival stuff is a real gift, you know, especially if no one's ever heard it. And to hear this guy telling a story that only he could tell. What was it like to be incredibly famous, impersonating this president who, whether you liked him or not politically, was incredibly glamorous, and who was the center of American life, not just political but pop cultural life. And then this tragedy happens, this assassination happens. You become a living reminder of this horrible day. And he lived for significantly, I thought, forty years. More so it was almost like biblical forty years in the desert there the archival really led. It was also just a really great episode to begin with, because it was about politics, about comedy, about pop culture, and in a very dramatic way.
Speaker 2: I would like to take this opportunity if I could give a quick shout out to a good friend of Ben and mine as well as the brother of super producer Max Williams Alex Williams, whose podcast Ephemeral is a fantastic example of diving through the refuse of history. He has a great line and his description the best sources on our cultural identity is not the official historical record, asking the anthropologist, it's the town dump. And I just think that is very akin to what you do with digging through these things that a lot of people don't think about or they don't really have a shelf life beyond their functional first appearance. I wonder, you know, especially when you start to use those as jumping off points to dig into these amazing archives you have access to. Do you have any any thoughts just about like what obituary represents in terms of like the historical record or is it just a starting place, like you know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: First time, Yeah, I think it's I think I think it's the first shutter of history. I think it's a I think it's a starting point. I think what's kind of I mean, I don't know. I want every every story, every person's life to kind of represent something beyond just their life. So Lawanda Page, who was hysterical as Aunt Esther and Sanford and Son. If people remember with Red Fox in the seventies. I was on Twitter one day and I saw this picture, this beautiful woman in a swimsuit, young woman, and people somebody said, who does anybody know who this is? And I thought she looked familiar and it turned out to be Lawanda Paige, who on Sanford and Son played this battle axe, this Bible toting battle axe or the adversary. I love that term battle axe, right, yeah, the Bible total battle axe, the adversary of Fred Sandford. And I thought, all right, immediately, there's a great story here. But then it also turned out to be a story about party records because she had become a really big deal comic in the nineteen sixties and seventies, or these things called party records that Red Box really helped Spearhead and Richard Pryor really found his voice on, which were largely black, not entirely, but were these these really raw comedy albums, really profane, hilarious and that came in brown paper pat rappers because the art on them was really adult. But it was it was it was like a whole subgenre lifestyle. I mean, there was so much there, and so that to me is like irresistible as delicious because there's like a and at least two plots A and B plot. There's her life, and then there's the whole history of kind of comedy, you know, running in parallel with it. That's why, by the way, not to go over the top here, why I love doing my cooking show because I always thought there was like three plot lines going. There was the recipe, there was the life of the grandparent, and then there was my relationship with a grandparent, and all three tracks running at the same time.
Speaker 2: Not to mention, cooking in and of itself is such a performative thing, like a storytelling opportunity. It's living history. Yeah, it's great. What we're seeing is.
Speaker 1: The deeper exploration of a public figure versus the lived experience of the person. And it reminds me of the first time I saw a rendering whatever of Abraham Lincoln without a beard.
Speaker 2: And I was like, it's like Alex Trebek without a mustag.
Speaker 1: I was as confused as my old dog used to be if it saw me wearing a hat.
Speaker 2: I was like, this guy was president. This isn't right. It's so funny.
Speaker 3: I love that. That's so interesting because I wonder, because I had that experience too with it. I wonder if that's so, if that's for for how many people that's a moment kind of an epiphany or a jarring moment or something. The first time do you remember the first time you saw Abraham Lincoln without a beard? Yeah, it's really wild. And he also looks without a beard. He it's a little spooky because he looks a little like Jefferson Davis and you're like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh no, and also a little known. In fact, all of his political prowess was contained within his beard, much like Samsung.
Speaker 3: It was Samson exactly.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: He was a facial Samson. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Abraham Lincoln noted amateur wrestler. Uh, comma on that guy.
Speaker 2: He was. It's a true story. That's true. We shout him out.
Speaker 1: He was also a president or something at some point. But you know, you get in situations and did a few things.
Speaker 2: Do we have time for any more dead things?
Speaker 1: We've mentioned floppy disk skew morph So that's our word of the day. We've got one for you that you will surely remember.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 1: What happened to the public payphone? Are there any left in New York City? Do you happen by them?
Speaker 3: I did a story on this for CBS Sunday Morning a few years ago, and I went to one on the Upper West Side. I can't quite remember what the count was when I did this story, which was nearly ten years ago, I think, but there were very, very few. The delight of doing this story was hanging out at a public payphone on the Upper West Side and having at least a couple of moms come by with their little kids, because the kids loved to visit it because it was such a weird artifact. They didn't know what it was for. They thought it was funny. They thought it was like a like a weird play booth or something that you go to Hogwarts or yeah. Yeah, but it was like and these, by the way, the ones that were remaining, at least at that point, weren't charging. And I'm not sure why anyway, but they weren't charging, and so the mother would hand the kid a quarter and the kid would put it in. It was hah, We're having a phone conversation. And you know, they weren't actually using them, but they were seen as such artifacts. So yeah, I don't you know. The it's funny because the phone I don't even remember that many phone booths because then there were the phone kiosks, the one that were that were.
Speaker 2: Never as relevated, right, it was sort of on a pole, like on a pole with a phone booth connected by a chain.
Speaker 1: Or they were like almost like semi detached homes like town homes. You'd see a row of the phones right at like an airport or something.
Speaker 2: And it goes hand in hand with the pager too, by the way, because that was what many people used to do, pag your communication that they'd put in the payphone number. And this is also, uh, it's such an important thing. It's no longer able to be used as a plot point in movies anymore. The payphone.
Speaker 3: Well, I feel it's a great point because I think that you know, Melanie Daniels to go back to Hitchcock, Tippy Hedron's character and the birds would have been dead two thirds of the way through the movie because remember when she when they're in Butadega Bay and the birds start attacking in that sort of climax, like about two thirds of the way through the movie, and they're all hiding in that diner and then she steps out of the diner, but she has to go into a pay booth and that's where she you know, and then the birds start like.
Speaker 2: Just throwing you yeah, I mean her eyes.
Speaker 3: She would have ended up like Suzanne Plachette with like her eyes, eyeballs plucked out, and the movie, the movie would have just ended well, I love I mean, that's always been an interesting dialectic, like Suzanne Plachette and Tippy Hedgron, because I think people really ended up loving Suzanne Plischette more. But Hitchcock preferred blondes, so you know, he killed her off sooner.
Speaker 2: But anyway, got yeah.
Speaker 1: Also Hitchcock had some issues he did he did he really preferred blondes.
Speaker 2: That'd be a diplomatic.
Speaker 3: Well, however, I will tell you that I interviewed two Hitchcock blondes, Eva Marie Saint of course from north By Northwest, and Kim Novack from Vertigo. I have not interviewed I've only met Tippy Edron. I haven't interviewed her. But Eva Marie Saint and Kim Novac both loved Hitchcock.
Speaker 2: Just do you have to point that out? Nice? Okay? Who was it who made some kind of problematic reports that he is that was I thought, that's what.
Speaker 3: But I mean, after all, he you know, had all these birds attacker, so she wasn't gonna be abbey, but she didn't have a phone booth to protect herself.
Speaker 2: Really quickly, I didn't realize that the phone the original phone booth was erected in eighteen eighty one was known as the fans Kiosk in pots in Berlin. I was in Berlin. Yeah, that was a public plaza.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and do we know what it was made of? Because one thing I found in that story also is that the phone boots that were all made of steel were actually kind of terrible, like the the acoustics were really really bad, Like the ones he wanted were the British ones that were all wooden.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Last time I was, I was over in London. I did the same thing as those kids in your in your CBS piece. We happened by you know, one of the At this point it's it's as British as like the famous black cabs or whatever. Uh So I'm an unrepentant basic tourist. So we saw the phone booth and I remember, uh, this is embarrassing, guys. But I remember, like on a cell phone, texting one of my friends in the US and be like, Hey, I'm gonna call you on a phone, and he was like, you have a phone, you're texting me. It was like, hold on for like eight minutes while I figure out this complicated series of numbers.
Speaker 3: And you actually placed a call from the phone booth phone to I think, wow, okay.
Speaker 2: That must have been pricey. I was. It was first.
Speaker 1: It was not the best financial decision a story, you know, But well, I think the three of us were way more impressed with the idea than the person I was calling. But still, you gotta get one under your belt. I'll tell you what I love and I bet you you do tum.
Speaker 2: And this is just something that I think of when I think of like the Golden Age of Hollywood is like those really elegant, wooden, kind of French door telephone boosts that you'd find in hotel lobbies. Yes, if you've ever been to sleep no more. The thing that the mckitchen Hotel, which is very much styled after that era, there's a there's these little phone kiosks you can go into and actually like, you know, pick up the little phone and there's a weird message that is spoken to you. But that is one style. And then of course we've got the They went through different evolutions. You have the kind of French store ones, you have ones that were really bad acoustically, and then they kind of landed on the ones that gave you a little more privacy. Originally they didn't give you privacy. Privacy became a big, a big concern. But it wasn't until eighteen eighty nine that these were actually coin operated. And originally the original ones you had to buy a ticket. Tickets. Yeah, Like, I don't even know how that would work logistically. It's interesting, Scalpers. I love the idea of a phone call.
Speaker 1: Scalper. He's like outside the.
Speaker 2: Booth, you know what I mean, hold out for weeks. You can't get into this booth. You cannot.
Speaker 1: So there there are other things. I think we've got to go to you with this. Given your expertise, what you have been teaching us about the nature of obituaries and indeed the way that the past stays with us even when it seems perhaps ephemeral, we have to ask you, what are some non human things that you believe the future might miss, you know, similar to similar to our jfk impersonator, similar to the pager, even though the page is still sort of around.
Speaker 3: But you know what I'm saying, mean things that are around now that people might miss, Yeah, things that were already missing.
Speaker 1: Right, things that in the in generations from now will be yeah, will be missed.
Speaker 2: Or curiosity if way.
Speaker 1: Like going you know, going the way of the Dodo. In some respects, I feel like it was ethical and responsible of us to mention one of the big downers, which is that print is often in trouble in terms of like newspapers and stuff. But what what do you think, like, if we're sending this as a time capsule to the future, what what will people miss?
Speaker 3: I mean this might seem really obvious and it just occurs to me now, but I mean I think that in twenty or thirty years, you know, our kids and grandkids might think it's funny that people actually drove cars, actually drove them. If the self driving thing happens, I can imagine that I think they might.
Speaker 2: So risky, it's so dangerous. My kid is fifteen and it's about to you know, get a driver's license I live with in Atlanta. I'm terrified. It's just it's always been such a risky proposition. I hope it goes that way. I'm sorry it's been on my mind.
Speaker 3: So well, that's that's interesting, and I also wonder and for real downer, but I think in fifty years people will look back at cancer treatment. I hope they do and think, are you guys crazy that you would pump chemicals into your body? Like then think it was just Barb barrack and like yeah, and think it was just kind of crazy, like the equivalent of like, you know, drilling a hole in your.
Speaker 2: Head or using leashing leaching, Yeah, leaching.
Speaker 3: So I think it could be that, and I think it could be the you know driving as well, Like so people would get behind a wheel and then every year tens of thousands of people would die on the highways, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Roll the dice.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that you mentioned this because I've thought of this one too, and totally think to me, the most bizarre explanation to like future grandkids or generations would be no non autonomous vehicles, Right, we used to drive by ourselves and see, well, how many people died oh a lot. But we had this honor system.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 1: There were lines that were painted on the road and you just sort of agreed that you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Go over them.
Speaker 1: And they're like, oh, so, like you would hit them if you turned, and like, no, no, it was just paint.
Speaker 2: People went nuts. That's funny.
Speaker 3: And I wonder about eyeglasses too.
Speaker 2: One thing.
Speaker 3: Not to gross everyone else out, but this is more like something that I remember from the past that and maybe maybe I've just been fortunate, but I remember pack it on fifty five. I remember in the nineteen seventies. I totally use this kind of gross. But in the nineteen seventies everyone had BO. I just remember that.
Speaker 2: Like it just was so stinky London, the great stink of London before sanitation. I mean, it's just you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, and of course it was mixed in with cigarette smoke and all that.
Speaker 2: People just had.
Speaker 3: Like summer in the nineteen seventies just everyone had BO. And I was like, you know, if you went down this Smithsonian, it was like bo from all over the country was coming down to the air and space being Yeah, it really was like a stew and like and and it was you know, Washington's already kind of very swampy and human, but the whole city just stank. And I I think what happened is maybe deodorant became much and it became much more accessible or something because better and better and better because people don't stink in the same way.
Speaker 2: Do they know? You run out much more so if you're the one you can usually people speak it out. People notice also, I do. I do love that shout out to this Smithsonian. Uh and the idea that every summer they had an accidental bo curation, right.
Speaker 3: Well, they work creating. It's so interesting. You're right, they work curating a lot of BO there. And partly was because it remained and I think it remains free as a taxpayer dollars free, so a lot of tourists would just use it as for the free air conditioning, just so it come in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That is a pro travel tip, y'all. If you if you like, have a flight that's late and you need somewhere to stash your bags, go to a museum. They'll hold your bags for you like a hotel, and then you can just wander around the museum, even leave and have lunch, come back, then get your bags go to the airport, and that secret stays with just us. Just us, do not contact the Smithsonian, folks. I just wanted to really quickly add for my last last bit here. A lot of this makes me think of that scene with Little Elijah Wood and Back to the Future too, where he does, you know, Martin McFly does his thing with the guns the video game cabinet with the like pistols. It's like an old and it's at this point in the in the you know, the timeline of the films. It's the future. This thing is a blast from the pass. He's in this bar or this restaurant, Dino if. It's like very nineties throwback. And he does it and like bbbble knocks him all down, hits all the targets, and then you know, puts him in his holster like he does in the first movie. And then Lille Elijah Wood, wearing his weird future headgear, says you have to use your hands. It's never clear what that actually means, like what would the alternative be to use your mind or what. But I just always that always stuck with me, and it's exact what we're talking about here. You know, the way something that was so obvious and so the only way to go could in five, ten, fifteen, twenty years be just like absurd to a new generation.
Speaker 1: Grandpa's got this weird obsession with using his hands for stuff, Like I know he's from a different time.
Speaker 2: Mo.
Speaker 1: This is been amazing. We have just we have just like two quick last questions. Yeah, that's all right, okay, So uh, fellow ridiculous historians, we are literally hanging out with the gentleman who wrote the book on presidential dogs. I can't believe we didn't mention that, Matt.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. Ye be we love presidential pets, ridiculous system. Yeah, I mean, we've done a couple episodes on it.
Speaker 1: We uh we mentioned your book previously, All the President's Pets, the story of one reporter who refused to roll over with this mode. We have to ask you our producer Max, he met Max. He's gonna kill us if I don't ask you this. Who's your favorite presidential pooch?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I I always I have some affection for Warren Harding's Airdale Laddie Boy, and I love that the newspaper boys of America each gave I guess pennies or was it Yeah, I guess, and that was I think that what went into the statue that was in Maid of Laddie Boy when Warren Harding died before they realized that he was one of the most corrupt residents in history. I loved the Kennedy's romance between Charlie the Welsh Terrier, who was kind of he was sort of he was pretty hot that dog and Pushinka, the beautiful fluffy Russian dog, because I always imagine, I mean, and I say this having never sat through all of Doctor Shivago, but I love the theme music, Lara's theme and and I always you know, I mean, we actually told the story on a podcast about Nepo babies because Charlie the Welsh Terrier was the nephew of Asked from the Thin Man series, and Pushinka was the daughter of Strelko, the first dog to come back from space alive, because the Soviets before then, right when the first dog they sent out like yeah, like I just died out there, that's you know, and but.
Speaker 2: You know, into a camera after or maybe it was the other way.
Speaker 3: And Pushenka then was given as a gift because Khrushchaub was termed by Jackie, I think in Vienna and gave Pushinka, the daughter of Strelka and Belka Belka interestingly, because Belka I didn't I don't think Belka went into space. I think Belka was like a stay at home dad, and you know, well, Ostrelka was off in space. But Pushenka was very beautible, and she was extremely fluffy and as you'd hope, and she came to the White House and the Kennedy's had a managerie pet. But it was Charlie who went in for the kill. I mean, he just I actually thought the clipper of the German shepherd, he probably wanted Pushenka and probably thought he was going to get her. But Charlie just had that swagger and you know, and I've always imagined them with the single string of spaghetti like I have to believe that they did that lady in the tramp thing. But when they when when they they they made love to each other. Pushinka and Charlie de Welsh Terrier. They had their offspring were called Pupneck and so I've always loved that story that the pup knicks were given away during a letter writing campaign, So I've always loved them. I do love Fido, who was the first, of course fighter, and that was you know, that was Lincoln's dog. And Fido is the very first presidential dog to be photographed, and there is a photograph of post photograph with him on what looks like sort of a plinth that sort of draped. And the thing that always saddens me about Fido is that after the president was murdered, that a drunk killed fighter with a bottle, and so that always has upset me. But Fido is just has the soul of Lincoln, as does Lincoln's horse, Old Bob. Like the name of the horse was Old Bob, and he looks like just so kindly. You know, we don't have enough kindly people. It's the word I always associate with, what is it, mister Brownlow and Oliver Twist. He's kindly, like we need more kindly, Like I'm sick of kind I'm wrilli into kindly, and.
Speaker 2: Also like doing poorly, I'm doing poorly kindly. I just remember as a kid, like hearing Fido as just a stand in for dog tunes cartoons. It was just such before I even had any idea what the history was.
Speaker 1: It was like an eponymous trademark or whatever result where you just google something.
Speaker 3: Now there's I think it's I think it's time for a fighter comeback. Yeah, I think it is. Yeah, I think it's time for a fighter. But I think that those are among my favorite. I mean, I love the Coolidge's dogs. I mean it's like Rob Roy and what is the other one. They're in the first Lady Portrait of Grace Coolidge and they're just beautiful, those dogs. And uh, but yeah, there have been there. It's really hard to choose a favorite presidential it was a presidential dog or preessential pet. Yeah, yeah, way, Max is saying what about what what is Max saying? I can't here we go?
Speaker 1: Max's mask is saying, what about the raccoon? Coolidge is raccoon?
Speaker 3: Well, the Coolidge raccoon. Uh yeah, I'm forgetting the name of the raccoon.
Speaker 2: And just get the reccoon.
Speaker 3: Isn't the raccoon? Didn't the raccoon have something to do with like a local softball team or something.
Speaker 2: But Rebecca, Rebecca, now Rebecca the raccoon.
Speaker 3: I do remember Rebecca And yeah, Rebecca, yeah, because I was maybe conflating some of the Hoover's pets with the Coolidge's pets. The Coolidges had the second most pets. The most pets belong to Teddy Roosevelt, who had thirty six pets. What is Max saying there now right? The cow Pauline Waynees is the name of the cow. She's a Holstein and she belonged to Taft. So Taft had the cow. Yeah, and then then Wilson had the ram old Ike and then who developed a tobacco addiction from eating cigarette butts and was retired to a Maryland farm where he.
Speaker 2: Died different time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a really imperdent time.
Speaker 1: Max just wants us to know that they got another another pet, raccoon, I believe Ruben, and Ruben was apparently, according to our chat here, Ruben was severely a second tier pet.
Speaker 2: He was just overshadowed by but he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like the second Darren of raccoons. You know, if you you're a fan of be which But you know, I'll tell you one thing that in this is I have not disclosed this anywhere, and this is hot off the presses from Kinderhook, New York. I recently did a story on Martin van Buren's home, linden Walled, named after the beautiful Linden trees in the Hudson Valley, and I one of the things I was so excited about was that Martin van Buren had been given tiger cubs by the Sultan of Oman during his presidency, and he was known as the little Magician, so I always imagined him sort of as a sincreed or roy, the one who wasn't mauled. Sorry, but I always imagined. And when I went up to Linden Wall to do this story, I asked the ranger about the tiger cubs, and the ranger said, without any warning, without any trigger warning, he said, that's apocryphal. He didn't It's been proven that he did not have tiger cubs from the Sultan of Oman. And I gasped so hard that my producer acted like like as if this was like I was finding out who deep Throat was for the you know, like in Watergate, Like I like that this was so so earth shattering or like such a major like like should be on like all networks at once.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of story you just inherently believe because it seems right to just see. Oh, of course that's true, you know, and you just kind of move on.
Speaker 3: Well, I just with his mutton chops and which they call Martin chops there like to buy gravity. He looked like he looked like he should be in a circus, Martin Vamberen. So it just con It's one of these things that we have to in the news business to be skeptical that just because something seems to fit the narrative, we can't accept it right away. And for me, tiger cubs from the Sultan of Oman underlined affirmed everything I assumed about Martin van Buren, and I should have gotten a second source on it.
Speaker 1: Martin van Buren Kama, who did not, in fact own tiger cubs.
Speaker 2: Comma, you heard it here first God today, that is that is the circle. I was just going to say, speaking of folks that did or did not get mauled, any quick hot takes on Commander the German shepherd that apparently likes to eat secret service agents the White House You major, right, well, no, commander as well. Believe yeah, there's there's two. I don't know if they're both problematic, but the news that I've been seeing is referring to commander the German Shepherd, who I believe like has had multiple attacks, one of which involved a bite so deep that the Secret Service agent had to get six stitches.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, so my service on that beat and did when the book was published in two thousand and four, So I'm not really great with posts. With post two thousand, I moved on to grandmothers and the Ravioli at that point. Jules Jusseran was the French ambassador to the US during the administration of Teddy Roosevelt, and he had the seed of his pants ripped out by a dog that one of the kids had. I think it was a dog that did that. Yeah, can Max check on that Jules Juiceran and that his pants were literally torn by a dog that attacked his ass and want to do Yeah, so can you can we check on that? Get just a quick Google search because it's it did happen? I don't or or maybe it was an evil cat, but I do know that we had all to say that there is a precedent for presidential pets attacking people, attacking officials.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dollie Madison apparently had a very violent McCaw she had Oh wait, wait, what did Max say.
Speaker 1: Max is coming in hot with the facts.
Speaker 2: That seeking in the phone and peacefull in knowledge. It's just for you right now. It is Pete. Uh.
Speaker 1: Pete tore the pants off Jean Jules Jusserande.
Speaker 2: What a name for a diplomat.
Speaker 1: And he also, Pete was a fighter. He was a bull terrier, according to many reports baby a bulldog, maybe a Boston bull terrier. But he's a real hard case Pete uh. And in nineteen oh seven in May he got a little bit of not amazing press for because he had a penchant for fighting another dog that would get in fights with him on the White House grounds and then run away and then come back and fight another day. That's a very interesting thing. Pete had a nemesis. I wasn't aware of that.
Speaker 3: And I have to say, I mean, I wish I had the discipline for it. It would be an interesting piece to write with the news about the Biden's dog. So you know we've been here before.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I like that. You bring it back to history, as we do to always do here on ridiculous systems. Yeah, the thing with history of the name.
Speaker 1: One one more question for you, please, almost a question? So you were also in addition to your many works of journalism, the shows, the podcast Mobituaries from Morocca, you were also in what I think we can agree is objectively the best episode of Law and Order SVU Authority, which is season nine, episode seventeen. So we have to ask what lessons did you give that up and coming actor Robin Williams about showbiz?
Speaker 2: You know, it's so funny.
Speaker 3: First of all, I know that that episode replays a lot because I get a check for four cents like every few months, because I mean, it's aired so many times. The flash mob that I was the leader of in that episode, we shot that scene. One of the scenes at least in Bryant Park. The other one I think was in Grand Central Station. I guess where the two were. And all I remember is that Robin Williams was It's interesting because he was entertaining all the extras and there were so many because there was a flash mob, and you know, when the cameras weren't rolling, but I was standing sort of behind him, and I remember that he kept opening his body up. I really is when I haven't thought about this since then, but he kept sort of opening up his body to bring me into it, and I was sort of a little bit frozen because I thought I can't possibly like join in with you to start trying to like keep these people entertained. So I kept shrinking back. But I thought it was really, I mean it was it was. It was very telling and incredibly generous that he kept doing that, like like you get in here too, and you you know, you be funny with me, and that he was very very approachable.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, ok, sorry, No, I was saying, by all accounts of exactly what you're describing.
Speaker 3: I also remember that when we did the scene like Grand Central Station, Chris Maloney was a really nice guy. I don't know him. I only dealt with him on that. Every single woman, it's felt like who walked through their rush hour was like when they would just come into his orbit, was like ready to just abandon their husband and just like.
Speaker 2: Throw him onto the track. I mean completely.
Speaker 3: I mean like and also like we're talking like New York Long Island, like women who were like you know, you know all types, but like you know, an Italian broad who was like I got a husband at home, but he can feed himself. I mean like like just it was just the energy that was, I mean, how he handled it. It was miraculously the energy at him. He was kind of crazy and.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it was none too subtle.
Speaker 1: But the one of the things here that I think, speaking of form and function, one of the things that we have just encountered here towards towards the end of our show is your gift for storytelling. You bring people back to these moments, right, whether it's whether it is maybe more recent past, maybe it is further into the years of your And we just have to say, and Nola, I'm sorry I derailed us to talk about law and order escue.
Speaker 2: We love it. We're professional big fanc here. We stole the sound cue for the longest time with our previous producer, Casey Pegrams Casey on the case and we do the dump dumb. But then we were eventually alerted by legal that that was probably some very pricey ip and we shouldn't be playing with fire with Dick Wolf because that guy'll come for you. So we just replaced it with us going dump dumb.
Speaker 1: We were told in a very kind way, we got a a our pages went off. We got a three six thousand asterisk eight four.
Speaker 2: And one seven. Yes, and we got a wolf he means business.
Speaker 3: It's I actually was driving my truck and I heard about it over the CB.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I'm with you, Ben. I mean, and it's interesting how that need or that drive to tell stories comes from the place of wanting to share with people and wanting to communicate with people. And it could be talking about a one off acting gig you did in two thousand and eight, or it could literally be delving into the archives of obituaries and history and presidential dogs. And the impulse I think comes from the same place, and that's one of connectedness and wanting to share and be part of the world, you know, And I think, Yeah, you're excellent adit mode.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you both. This is I really enjoyed this. This has been a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Speaking of generosity, so thank you for being so very generous with your time. We do like to deliver.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The documentary about obituary writers for the New York Times is and this was tricky to me too. It's literally named oh bit.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it was right there, the whole right in my backyard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so where can uh this is a question. I feel like we're obligated to do. It's part of the you know, it's part of the show. But uh, you have so many projects, you have so many endeavors. Where can people learn more about your work not just with mobituaries with Moroka, but your your many other projects.
Speaker 3: Oh gee whiz. I think like on X the platform formerly known as Twitter. No, I mean if you, I mean I'm on I'm on CBS Sunday Morning, you know, a couple of a couple of episodes each month. Uh, and the podcast is through there. I have a new book coming out in June because I can't stay away from puns called rock to Genarians about out people who had triumph slate in life, so and so sort of the pre dad, if you will. But yeah, I'm around.
Speaker 2: Well, we appreciate you being around with us on ridiculous history.
Speaker 1: And holy smokes. As much as we want to keep going, we're going to have to call it a day.
Speaker 2: What a ride, nol.
Speaker 1: I think we were both we came in with like high expectations. I think we're both even more surprised.
Speaker 2: Oh man, we well, I mean, first of all, you know, we had all this whole plan about what we were going to do and when mo Roka, you know, is on your podcast. God laughs at your plans when up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some stuff we didn't we didn't get to, but it was just so so much cooler to learn about kind of this history of obituaries, the ephemeral nature of the past, and peak behind the curtain.
Speaker 2: Folks.
Speaker 1: We're recording this like a week after we did the actual show.
Speaker 2: Still reeling, and Max is here stif Yeah, yeah, Max, just.
Speaker 1: Take you super producer Max and h we It's funny because we got for anybody who's been a performer in the past. You know, when you do live shows, you get something sometimes called a show high. And I think we had a show high, man. I think we just like high fived each other and then left. I'm still high, bro, definitely from the show thing. By the way, I was scrolling around when I realized that I have like secret like sort of faux cable through my Roku. It's like the whole menu system and everything like on the old Exfinity, you know, systems where you can like scroll through the different things that are on quote unquote regular TV.
Speaker 2: And little bar popped up said Celebrity Jeopardy and guess who was on him.
Speaker 1: Was it.
Speaker 2: It was Morocca? Oh okay, I didn't know if it was a shot Aalan twist. Funny thing is though the other three like what do you call contestants? Never heard of them, so to me it was the only celebrity featured in this edition of Celebrity. Are they still doing co hosting duties with Ken? It's just Ken. This must have been a rerun because I think Miam Biolic was on it, so I guess that was sort of a trial bassess thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this brings us to anytime we mentioned celebrities. This brings us to our ending credits, the celebrities of Ridiculous history that we would like.
Speaker 2: To thank for making this show possible.
Speaker 1: Super producer mister Max Williams, Thank you, Noel, and of course famous famous arch villain of the show who aspires to be on Celebrity Jeopardy one day, Jonathan Strickland, a k.
Speaker 2: Thequister. Do you think the Celebrity Jeopardy contest and still have to take that brutal test that mortals have to take? Probably not they probably, I.
Speaker 1: Think it depends they might get softballed.
Speaker 2: Mo absolutely did and probably absolutely past it a million percent. The reason I even brought up Mo being on Celebrity Jeopardy is that guy is just a polymath of information. I mean, he is a font of data and as you mentioned, Ben can deliver it and tell stories with such precision and personality that it was just absolutely a joy to get to spend some time with that fellow.
Speaker 1: Thanks so thanks to Mode. Thanks also to Eve's Jeffcoat. Christopher hasiotis Gabe Blues. Yay, I'm saying his.
Speaker 2: Name different now, his backcent on the Gabe, you know, with a little vibe to it, like a like some intonation.
Speaker 1: Big big things course, yeah, big big thanks of course to Zarah and Elizabeth and Dave over Ridiculous Crime and of course no big thanks to.
Speaker 2: You, sir Ah. Yes, of course, thank you Ben and to you as well. We'll see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.