Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha. I'm welcome to Stephan ever told your protection of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome to another edition of Happy Hour. And we're going to put a time stamp here because this is kind of themed, not really themed, and it was by accident, but we're gonna go with it. So today's March fourteenth, twenty twenty four. And if you know, we have just had spring Forward, which was awful and I hated it. I think we all did. I mean, I love the Sunshine, don't get me wrong. I was very happy for the sunshine, not so happy about the losing of the hour and track being very confused about dates and well I'm always confused about dates, let's to be real honest, but the time and what time it was and realizing oh, it's actually like five o'clock and not ten o'clock like it just it puts me off. But also with that comes the quickly following Saint Patrick's Day, which we don't do much of on Smindy. Have we done much with Saint Patrick's Day? No, No, I don't think so so. But we do have kind of a themed thing for our Happy Hour, And as per usual, if you are partaking of anything, just be conscientious and make sure you're taking care of yourself and do everything in moderation. Yeah, and in safety. So with that, and then also, we are not being sponsored by any of the products that we are talking about today. Who knows that could change whatsoever in the future. I don't know, but I don't we're not trying to get sponsorships through these episodes. Surprisingly, when we get it as lovely.
Speaker 1: Right, it's not the goal, but it's a nice outcome, correct.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're happy when a good product comes our way, and we get very excited, especially when it's like being spearheaded by women or marginalized people, because there's not enough of women and marginalized people who are a part of the marginalized group not getting recognition or the opportunity to lead in things like breweries and liquors and ownership in general, and being able to be a part of an industry that is sometimes more often not than not unwelcoming to the marginalized community in itself. So when we get an opportunity to do that and it gets to be on theme, it just feels like it's just perfectly in place. Do you know any Yes, yes, nice, yes, nice. And today we are actually talking about a female owned brewery called Lost Druid, which is actually located in Atlanta. There's only one, Yes, there's only one, and if you ever in Atlanta, you should definitely go by and check it out. They have an amazing food menu as well any great space. They have the best dessert pressles. Like the first time my partner and I went there because it's close to our neighborhood, we got very excited figuring out that we had such a good location that we were that. I mean, the best pretzel they had like these innovative butters and creams, and I was like, yeah, give me this. I dream about those pretzels by the way I do. But yeah, so we're talking about Lost Druid Brewery. They were created right before, like they opened right before the pandemic, so they came in in a really precarious time and delightfully they were able to keep on going and survive through the pandemic. And I actually got to talk to the honor. Her name is Stasha Flamillo Hopek, and I just listened for that name because I didn't meet miss Stasha, and I got to talk to her but I didn't ask for her full name. Rookie mistake, rookie mistake. To be fair, I kind of ambushed her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also sort of awkward to ask someone for their full name name, right, especially if they don't like know, real legit podcasts.
Speaker 2: Right. She looked at me and then rightfully so with a lot of suspicion, like I was gonna ask for money, I'm gon swear to God, we don't. We're not asking for I've already bought the beer, it's in my bag, we're going, and she was like, oh, okay, Like it's kind of like, are you still listening to me? What's happening? But no, Like she was wonderful and answered my questions, but she was in the middle of making a drink for a couple and I just like, hey, I'm here to buy your beer and talk about it. So she was very gracious. She was like okay, and then as most of us, even myself, she doesn't listen to a lot of podcasts at all because she's kind of busy, and I was like, that's fair. I don't listen to a lot of podcasts unless I have to, and that's my job, y'all. Listen to our podcast, please yes, please. Yeah. So she was very very kind and gracious and talk to me for a few minutes. And yeah, and because I'm also awkward and because I did like feel like I am ambushedor I was really like, I'm going to talk really fast and then leave really quickly because that's what I do. Yay, But uh, yeah, so I got a chance to talk with her for a second about the business and about the plans and how this all came about. And it's kind of like a really inspiring story in a very common sense way, I think to me. But yes, before we start, I did buy four different types of beers. I came in with like two in my mind, but ended up with four, and one of them was for my partner who wanted kind of a stout. So we got Baltic porter and it's called check Coulata and I hope I had said that right is c z E K O L A d A, which is again a Baltic porter, which is with a session porter, is what it is saying. And then I also got a German culsh. Coulsh has been my take like thing lately, like I've really enjoyed good culsh called the Reaper of Souls. And then I saw a heff of Iison called Dream of Antiquity. Uh, and this uh to me. My partner was like, it feels more like a red l and I was like, know, it ends like a half of vision, but it starts off with a little darker taste, like a deeper taste than your typical very vibrant like bright one. But I liked it. I liked the switch up because it had both that that feel, so it was nice and that one I got because they did not have that because it's it's a winter half of vison, so again it makes perfect sense in that duality, but they didn't have it on the list, and it was like just a few k's left and I was like, I need to try this though, so I'm get it that So that was like the impulse by and then the beer that I actually have in my hand right now, I'm gonna open it for as mr effect. So if you don't like splashing sounds or does that crisp sounds popping off the cants sound like what is the word for this? All right? So here yeah, as a guess an ode to Saint Patrick's Day, their beer called Crimson King was it, which is an Imperial Irish red Ale, So cheers for first and foremost, and I'm gonna take a stip. Cheers, yeah, And it is exactly what it is. It's a Imperial red Irish red Ale, so you have both of those very like heavier type of beer. So it's not your typical red ale, it's not your Chillians, sorry y'all, because it a little more bite to that. It's very delightful though. So the way they describe this drink, it says it has the hops Styrian bobeck, which I've never heard of, which tells me I've been out of the game for a very long time when I can't quite recognize the hops. The malt is a base dextrin and then some letters and numbers as we know, and it's a yeast is a house English ale number two. So typically yeast are very unique to the location in area, so I'm assuming if it's house, I'm guessing it's from their location. So we have those beers of course. Lost dru it is a Gaelic word for woods. Yeah. In Gaelic it's a knower of thy oak, which is like very themed for them, And yeah, I think a lot of their beers though, are more European style, because you see a lot of Belgian, German Polish types of beers that they purposely put in there. They have a lot of ESB's, if y'all are interested in stuff like that, a lot of variation, though, they have a lot of good beers. That's culsh though their culsh is one of my favorites. What are you drinking on? Because are you drinking on the same thing?
Speaker 1: I am drinking the porter okay.
Speaker 2: Because I didn't get to taste that, tell me about it.
Speaker 1: Kind of a funny story. Samantha is very kind and lovely as a co host, and dropped this beer off to Meme and we gave ourselves enough time to try a couple of the things. I can't find one. I know I have it, and I didn't drink it. It's in my fridge somewhere. But I've told you my fridge is a mess.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't, we rarely don't. You don't really have a lot of food. So I'm kind of how.
Speaker 1: I'm I can take a picture and send it to you, Okay, but it's it's in there somewhere. But I don't know where, so I went with the border, which is also kind of fun theme.
Speaker 2: I guess, so sure, Sure, I mean a Baltic porter.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sure. It does have a high alcohol content. I'll tell you that it's very It's very great though, So I had I had to have a vis in last night and I loved it. And I feel like both of because I've only had two, were very They do have a lot of, like you said, duality or like there's a complexity there. But this is very great because it's kind of got the roasted coffee, kind of nutty almost flavor of a porter. But it it it just goes down a much much easier than some porters do for me, Like it's not it doesn't feel so heavy. Yeah, but it's very nice flavor. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it is supposed to be, again like a session drinking porter. So it is eight percent. Mine is nine point one percent. So we're about to get lit. I'm just kidding to be fair, I don't drink a lot, so there's a likelihood that I'm going to take about half of this and then give the rest of my partner, which has been quite funny because that's then what's happening like lately, I'm just like, I drink two or three STIPs and then here you go, you have it. Cause again I'm just I'm just the lightweight now like it doesn't it's not as enjoyable. But yeah, I think I'm glad to hear confused while you lost who.
Speaker 1: I will find it? But I was so confused, I'm confused to surrend.
Speaker 2: So you have two left and one's lost.
Speaker 1: I thought I have one left and one's lost if you gave me.
Speaker 2: Four, right, right, So you have one left and one's lost, so there's total of two though. Yes, okay, okay, okay, that's what I say. Yeah, this is what happens.
Speaker 1: I was very taken aback when I went to find it today.
Speaker 2: Trying to figure it out. Well, anyway, what's that? Yeah, So we are talking about this brewery who was able to survive, And that was one of the questions I had to ask, Like you surprisingly as a bra especially as a brand new brewery coming out right before the pandemic, how did you maintain, especially in a single location, all of those things, Like you didn't have wide distribution at that point. They don't do distribution actually, and that makes sense, because the laws in Georgia are nuts when it comes to beer and looquers, and it's absurd about who owns owners, who owns the rights to distribution, and who gets paid the most and guess what, it's not the breweries actually unless they make really big deals by selling out. And then you know that conversation. So she was talking about the fact that they just did a really great job and understanding business tactics. And I think this is one of the things that I did get to compliment her, and I didn't have this conversation, but it kind of falls in line when we have talked about stocks and how women are just better about waiting and being patient to let it grow instead of being freaked out and doing last minute decisions or quick decisions and turnarounds, and how women are able to learn the patients and do things through research and not that it's because again we're not saying that that's all women and it's all inherent for all of us, because that's not the case at all. But the fact that she did a she was a business person, she was in the corporate world, and she did really well in the corporate world, but she got burned out as she told me, and was ready for something new and wanted to do something on her own. And though she didn't know necessarily a lot about breweries, she knew about the business, about business sides and what to do and just doing a well put together plan. And the one thing I kept saying is like she kept saying as I asked for her for advice for women who are looking at getting out of that type of corporation to something that could they can you know, do that they might love or at least like grow with and learn with. And she was just talking about planning and making sure you're being realistic. Again, I feel like as most times when it comes to gender roles, for the most part, women have been taught that you better be super sure and ten times more confident than the regular person slash men. That's that whole, Like I have to be not only the best, but ten times more than that to even try for this type of conversation, and in that it does help grow a really good business if you do it correctly. With good beer. So her husband was a homebrewer who was able to bring in all of these different types of beers which were amazing and very different in each one, I think, and these two as a combination were able to make it through this and still have a really good business practice. She talked about how during the pandemic they were able to work on their space in a very smart way, so they have a lot of outdoor seating. Have we taken you yet any No, I've never been. Okay, I'm gonna have to take you because it is one of our favorite locations for larger crowds. I had suggested it to a friend of the show, slash Old co host Caroline for an event she did, and she had people there because not only is it like you go up to the bar so you have your own tabs and think goodness, you know, keep up with things that way, because that can be a mess, but have plenty of seating if they have all these private spaces that they can rent out, which again I think that's really really smart. Especially the location they're at is very like new family friendly, very new new neighborhood. You've been around there and it's currently growing, So I feel like it's really good play to like have that they're outdoor space, so many tables, and they've changed it throughout since my partner and I first visited, but like the awnings and the tables are gorgeous, and then plenty of space for dogs, and like it's good, it's a good spot. And she was just talking about having that as an accessibility, was they were able to keep open essentially. I think I'm pretty sure they had to close down for a little bit, but then like they were ready to open much quicker than a lot of the other spaces because they were able to have that kind of setting and they were able to switch it up real quick from indoor to outdoor. And she was just talking about, you know, making sure you have a good plan, making sure you have again realistic expectations and a true understanding behind what you're doing, and starting a business again, all these things are ideal and all that. And then she also came in saying that we didn't again, we weren't looking to be distributors. We were looking to be brewery that was able to be pretty much a gastropub type of thing. And they brought it an amazing chef I remember reading, and I don't know, we might have some listeners who know more about it eventually, but from what I remember reading, they brought it in like one of the star chefs to start the menu, and the menu was pretty impressive and it still is like that Preszl dessert lives in my mind. I want it, I need it, I need to go back. But making sure that they had a kitchen. So the thing that was different for Georgia is we had huge regulations when it came to kitchens. We also know when it comes to so Safe and all those certifications that happened. Industry people know what I'm talking about when I say this, that they have to follow all these guidelines in order to be open and in order to serve these foods as well. And they planned ahead to make it open that way, which is which was rare for pre pandemic breweries. Like most of the breweries at that point brought in food trucks and brought in which is great, and had like special guests, but that weren't licensed necessarily, so it was a little different. That weren't always promised. I wasn't always there. So this made it a friendly hangout for families and like get together to where it's just not a ruckus of people hopping around bars, although there's a lot of breweries in that location. I was really impressed and really happy by that. But yeah, so having her let us know what's going on and knowing that she was like, look, let's be for real, make sure you know what you're walking into with at least a good plan that you know can't be successful. And I was like, yeah, that makes instead of just like dreams and hopes, doesn't like pay the rent and bring in customers, Let's just be very very honest, you know, like having that understanding, especially with all these breweries that are popping up everywhere, like Atlanta was at one point one of the big largest growing brewery towns cities, and so making sure that they stood out and remained was something there that was very important to her and is very important to her obviously, and not just being out there for the for the trends, because it was trendy to be, you know, a brewer and all these things. And I don't know has that fallen out of favor yet, being a homebrewer out of the hobbies.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not in touch enough with the world.
Speaker 2: I know I'm out of it. I haven't been in the brewery world in so long. It makes me kind of sad. I've thought about the other day, I was like, Okay, if something falls through here, I wonder if I can go work back at a brewery because I'll made me some money at one point in time, and learning about the breweries were all like Bears and Barley's and hops and the science behind it was really incredible. You and I met an event.
Speaker 1: I know there, a professional photo was taken. We've talked about it before and it comes up. It comes up pretty frequently on my digital frame.
Speaker 2: As it should, as it should as a relationship was kindled that we didn't know at this point. But yeah, So having that conversation with her, sitting with her like againt ambushing her a little bit about the business was really really interesting to see and seeing her take and she was very just straightforward and like and knowing this is a business that she's able to do and at least she can control some of the things around her instead of like a corporate demons on her, I guess. And then yeah, having this good space, having good partnerships, hopefully having good employees. They were all very much raving about her. When I was like, oh, so I heard you had a female owner, and they're like, yeah, she's right there, she's really cool, like very like excited that she was with them, And obviously she's there with them helping them out and making sure that she is a part of the crew and working with them, so it was really nice to see as well. And yeah, and these beers are quite delicious.
Speaker 1: They are, and I was thinking that we definitely have to go sometime. But these are very As I've mentioned before, when I do Dungeons and Dragons, I bring themed beers. These are very appropriate. The titles are great, the logo is great, like these would fit right in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, D and D.
Speaker 1: So I have to pick them up.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to grab some. Yep, you're gonna have to go buy because they have a pretty good stock honestly for to go beers. I had more options than I thought, which is why I walked away with four and still thinking about the others as I left. You know, like, I think they have bingo there. I've been dying to play bingo. I don't know why. There's two things I want to do right now, and that's bingo and bowling. I don't know what that is about me and BT dubs. I'm bad at bowling, real bad, like seventies is my score. I think the highest I've ever gotten was like ninety something. I never reached, so I'm not really sure why. And bingo is kind of the luck of the draw. It makes me nervous, like with the stamping. We need to go to bingo sometime.
Speaker 1: I have a whole group that love bingo. We I've got dobbers. I've got four dobbs of difference.
Speaker 2: All right, I think I knew this by you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I enjoy it too. Uh. I rarely win, same with bowling, but I enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Let's go and you know what. Another event that I see and I think is amazing stitching bitch. Apparently they host uh yeah, people to come into craft and stitch while drinking beer. They have a meet up at Lost Druid. I love this.
Speaker 1: Somebody just texted me about that and I was like, but I can't stitch. I can you figure it out?
Speaker 2: Stare at it, like.
Speaker 1: I know, I'll put it in an effort, right.
Speaker 2: I think you would have to, like we would have to do some youtubing.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, and hopefully people who knew how to do it would give you a little like tips. Yeah, here's yeah, go for it.
Speaker 2: I mean it's supposed to be like your socializing and getting to meet people and then obviously trying to make friends here. So that's even better.
Speaker 1: I mean, could they should just if they had just a craft night, like if the Stitch and whatever is Stitch and Drink is just cosplay.
Speaker 2: Oh like the idea of like you're getting together and talking much like inline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm into it.
Speaker 2: We need to go to some of these events. But yeah, so if you were in Atlanta listeners at any point, I know we have a few because we've talked to you, uh, going to Lost druid if Beers and they actually actually do cocktails too. They did really good cocktails. I've had a couple. So they have that, and they also brew. They also have Seltzer's hard Seltzers, and of course they have the non alcoholic stuff as well, like I think they have cokes as such, and obviously water. But yeah, just hanging out and get good food. It's a great option. But I like this practice I she had. They came together with the planet and it's worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing that. Yeah, because during the pandemic, like a brewery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a lot of them saw some really hard times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, but yes, Thank you so much Samantha for bringing this to my attention, to the listener's attention, bring me beer.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Stasha, thank you for letting me push you in and talk to me, talking.
Speaker 1: To me and listeners. Yes, if you have any thought suggestions about this segment, please let us know. You can write in to us at Stephanie and mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff Podcasts, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff I Never Told You. We have a tea public store, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executive producer Maya, and our contruder Joey. Thank you and thanks to you for listening. Stuff I Never Told You is production by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, you can check out the iHeart Radio app Apple Podcasts wherever you listen to favorite shows.