Speaker 1: Only fifteen to ten touched up sucker. All right, welcome to another edition to Chargers Weekly, and this is sort of the beginning of free agency. We've moved on from a player, we've restructured a deal, but in the moment that we are recording this, there is still some business to be done. Daniel Popper kind enough to join me this week on Chargers Weekly as we try to break it all down figure it out. Be sure to follow Daniel on Twitter, subscribe to The Athletic. Nobody does a better chop. The man's got a freaking spreadsheet. He's projecting voidable years. If it's two voidable years, this is what our cap situation looks like. If it's four, this is what it looks like. There is a colored chart. There's red, there's green, there's yellow. It really is. He's the best. And there's a reason why people always get excited and have notifications set up anytime you post something, Daniel, So thanks for man. We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate the intro. So I come from a family of accountants. You guys all think that my spreadsheet is great. When I show it to my dad and my brother, they are appalled. And they wanted to own me. So I'm appreciative that everyone else loves the spreadsheet because in the family, I make the worst spreadsheets than anybody.
Speaker 1: Listen, they can have their their green glass shaded lamp and their visor in their pencils, and you've got a snowboard behind you, a hoodie and you get to talk about football. So I think you're all right. You could you could take their derision and you're still coming out ahead. Hey man, So let's get into it. This is what I expected to be, you know, and I think it's what I don't just say that because it's hindsight, but we've been talking about it on Charger's Weekly. I thought, moving forward, the way Khalil played last year, how important he was to tu Ley, it felt like that there was something there that they could figure you're out, and obviously we've heard Aboutcinin repeatedly from everybody that's been hired at how important he is, so just level of surprise and maybe what you think is still to come.
Speaker 2: Daniel, Yeah, I think these were the natural first two steps, you know, after moving on from Eric Kendricks, you know, Mike with the savings that they were going to get there with him coming off the injury, it just felt like a release was always going to happen there. They weren't going to have much leverage in a trade market to try and move him. A lot of teams were just going to wait him out and try and you know, get after him on the open market.
Speaker 3: So that one made sense.
Speaker 2: And then it felt like they were going to make a decision here between the two edge rushers as far as keeping one of them. That was sort of what I heard coming out of the combine. It made sense. And like you said, Khalil was unbelievable last year, and you're trying to set a culture here. I think, like performance is one thing, but you're also trying to shift things, and like that was one of the big reasons why the Chargers went and traded for Khalil in the first place.
Speaker 3: Like they obviously felt like he had some good football left, but.
Speaker 2: The way he works, his leadership, his experience, like all of those different types of things, his play style, everything, Like people want to follow that and it helps you really establish like what your players do on a day to day basis. And so I think when you like sort of pile all that together, like Okay, he was great last year. You know, obviously the front office and Joe Ortiz and the coaching said with Jim Harbar, you know, watching the tape from last year. You watched the tape last year, you see a guy that's still an elite edge rusher, and then I think those other sort of more intangible things of what he brings from a leadership standpoint to the locker room, it just makes sense to keep him around as you try and sort of reset this thing and build it into twenty four and potentially beyond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think, you know, you got to keep somebody. That's the other thing. Like this defense is bear, I mean it is. You've got Kenneth Murray's now a Titan. Eric Kendricks is now a cowboy. You're talking Nick Namon day On Henley. Who are special teamers at linebacker, They've got one, I guess you can maybe say two. Since Job played in the slot a little bit in a sante in joh they brought back the lowie. I thought that was likely to happen, just because again they've got to completely restock this defense. Daniel, and I know you do a great job over you know, posting every Day at the Athletic of you know, here's here's the top ten free agents that make sense, and man, it looks like there's no interior lining for them to go out and get and sign. And I don't know how that all comes together when it comes to trying to piece this thing to be just average, right, butting up against average for Jesse.
Speaker 2: Metter, Yeah, no, I think you're right on it. Like those you mentioned two positions that I'm sort of looking at, like linebacker, they've got very little there, you know, and I think Nick can play like Nick has gone in there and Eman and he's played well in spots.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I remember the Vikings game he made that game sealing playing the end zone against t J. Hockinson that Kenneth Murray picked off. And then obviously we've seen flashes for dayon on special teams. He's fantastic athlete. That hamstring injury kind of set him back last year. So it's you know, there's there's two players there, right, But like you go through a season, like you know, to use a term, you know from the previous regime, it's an attrition position, right, like linebackers do often get hurt. Obviously, Kendricks and Murray were healthy of last year, but you don't really see that a lot. And then obviously the interior of the defensive line. You know this, you know, Horties and Harbor I have talked about building through the trenches. That obviously applies to offense, that also applies to defense, right, and you see what what the Niners have been able to do in like four days where they've completely turned over their defensive line and and gone out and traded for guys and signed guys, and who knows, they might not even be done yet. Like that's a team that builds to the trenches, builds through the defensive line and offensive line.
Speaker 3: And so like how do you go about it?
Speaker 2: You know, if they make more moves here and clear up more cap space, like maybe they can just take a bunch of dart tosses, you know, Like I go back to sort of what what Houston did early on in the Casario era, where they're just signing, you know, a bunch of guys on veteran minimum deals, and just like if two or three of those guys show up in training camp, now all of a sudden, you have some players and you can sort of make it work. Corners another interesting position. I would throw Dean Leonard in there. I think he's got some capacity on the outside. I've seen him make plays. You know, he's got some speed, He's got a little bit of length that heel injury down the stretch.
Speaker 3: Like I would have loved to see a little bit.
Speaker 2: More out of him, you know, Jae you mentioned, But like I think they need a little more experience in the slot too, Like you know, they I think they made a mistake last year. Like I think Jah has a future in the league, Like I think he can play in there, and he's a really good special teams player. But I think they made a mistake of not adding more experience in there, so they had a second option in the slot when it didn't work out for a sante and training camp and early on in the season and then they you know, obviously, you know, Josh struggled a bit. So like Arthur Malette is a guy that is interesting to me because he's played the plays.
Speaker 3: He played in the defense last year.
Speaker 2: Obviously different defensive coordinator, but he's gonna be familiar with the scheme and he played really well in the slot last year for the Ravens. Like can you go get him on a cheap deal and potentially patchwork it in at corner. But yeah, like at safety, I think getting a low he back was enormous, Like there were two guys really and you can tell me if you agree with this money, but I feel like there were two guys on defense that you could really rely on, like week after week, and for me it was Khalil and a Lohi, Like those were the guys that were showing up and playing like discipline mistake free football and then giving you something in terms of getting the football and for Khalil getting after the quarterback and that type of thing. So a lot of work to do defensively, I agree, And there's not a lot of pathways there, Like they're gonna have to do really really well in the draft this year to you know, put a contender together if that's the plan.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, if you want to look at the horror film of a Lowi and people point out that he's not a natural free I just thought he repeatedly got put in crappy positions last year, and I think you can not saying you can explain it all the way, but you can explain a lot of it away where he has gotten no business being tasked with some of the things he was being asked to do, or just some of the busted coverages and guys handing off when they shouldn't have been. And that's what led to a lot of that. And I think he said it perfectly, Daniel, that it's he's a smart player. He's got incredible instincts and I'll take that over sheer athleticism any day. Just just being able to I think, you know, even point to kind of Kath Murray a little bit. Right, here's a guy that has got that has built to play football. When you see him and you stand next to him, you're like, my god, and you can just see there's that tick that that just it's a beat slow. And that's what Aloe has. He's just so good at reading and reacting. And I think it was just one hundred percent with you a priority that they had to get him back the one thing. And you know, I talked about this, I do the thing for Valleys through Belief, and I was talking to Chris Harris and and we were, you know, discussing like this is a team that is just for the last However, many years they have not invested in corner like they've just that they don't. You know, you can point to the Jason Jackson they tried, so they tried with j C. But really outside of that, you're you're talking about, you know, one second round pick from Asante, Mikey Davis was a nice surprise as an undrafted free agent. Chris Harris was a short term kind of now on the back end slot like if they trade back. You know, everybody's talking about offense, offense and wide receiver and tackle, and it's like, well, if you got the number one corner sitting there, this is something we have not seen this team do in the first round since Jason Barrett. If it's Mitchell or Arnold, like those are two really good corners that could go a long way and helping his team out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I think in a trade down scenario and a trade down scenario, I think corner has to be on the table. I'd be curious who you like between those two guys. You know, I watched a little bit of Arnold. He to me is like really has the coverage instincts. Yeah, you know you can see it, like he just like we talk about a low. He like you can see guys on tape that sort of have that feel for the position. They just know how to cover, how to move their body, how to flip their hips, to defend in certain situations based on leverage.
Speaker 3: Like you can see that he has that.
Speaker 2: You know, how much of it is feel, how much of it is the coaching Alabama doesn't really matter.
Speaker 3: He has that.
Speaker 2: Mitchell to me, seems like more of a trade c guy. Obviously he had huge ball production in college at Toledo, But like, yeah, I think like that corner is a position that I've been watching a little bit because in the trade down scenario, it would make a lot of sense because they don't have a ton there and like you said, they haven't really invested through the draft as far as building that position group out, and they certainly need some help, whether it's a guy that can play inside or outside, like they could use you know, they could use players at sort of either spot there.
Speaker 3: And you know, corner is going to be important.
Speaker 2: Like that was one of the things that just never came together, you know, over the last three seasons on defense, is you just never had a group that really played together. Right, There was one stretch The best defensive stretch of the past three years was down the stretch of the twenty two season when they won four in a row and made the playoffs. And what you had as a group playing together, and what you had was a playback playbook that had been paired down and really fit into who was playing. And that's what guys talked about when it all sort of came together. There you had some cohesion and really a plant like, Okay, this is where everyone was playing. And then you go into twenty three and it's revolving doors and in the first, you know, three four games of the season. So I'm with you, like, I think corner is totally an option in a trade hut scenario. Who do you like between those two guys?
Speaker 1: I like Arnold. I think you know you can. I appreciate the traits and he obviously everybody I talked to it was at the Senior Bowls said that Mitchell was impressive and that they saw what they needed to see. But for me, it's not the forty. It's look, those are important, don't get me wrong. It's a position where the forty is important and the explosives that the Burt and the Broad are important man, when you just watch him in those drills and how smove he is, Like that really jumped out to me. And plus Alabama's got a track record. You know, Nick just coaches defensive backs up and you know, I just I feel I'd feel more comfortable with that in a first round situation. Like the interesting thing about corner is premium position, but you still find guys that come out of the second round that come out of the third round, Like that really happens at tackle, like it just you almost never get the tackle that comes out of the second third, like it just it's a first round position. Same thing, Like I know, you know, yes, you can find edge, Max Crosby and Turner, like there are those guys, but like edge tends to be a first round position. And like I'm becoming more and more in hammered with Dallas, Like I really am starting to say wow, Like if you trade back and he's sitting there, the idea that you compare me into Lee moving forward for the ten years is also interesting to be Like, that's the thing about five is stick and pick. I think it might have been you that they posted it, and I never quite thought about it in that context. But you always hear best player available, and nobody has done that more than the Ravens, Kyle Hamilton. They actually do it. So if they stick at five, it's gonna be wide receiver. I would have to believe that just the grades on Neighbors or at Dunsa or or or Harrison or higher than what they would have on all or. And the thing about tackle is I feel like I feel like they're all together. It's just preference. Like I think you talked to and I would love to know what Devlin and Nick think. You know, how they would break it down. But like I look at Fuaga and I see like a total Jim Harblaugh just type of tackle. Latham obviously has got the measurables, Like there are so many different directions they could go that work. That's what's crazy, Like that's the tough part about it, Like, yes this works. On the line, we need to be more physical and run. Yes this works. You need to explosiveness. We have not had an explosive receiver with just incredible traits like you have with those three. You need a corner, you need another edge, Like that's the top part. That's what's so tough about that particular pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I want to talk about a lot of it. Let's start with the tackles, because I agree with you one hundred percent. Like I turned on the Fuaga film and I was like, that's got it. He's just he's just mean. He's a bully, Like he goes. Like you watch even a little bit of his tape, guys are flying everywhere, and it doesn't matter what position they play. I saw him tossing around edge rushers. I saw him tossing around defensive tackles, certainly defensive backs, linebackers, Like he just he's mean, and like you know, like as far as pass protection, like, are there some weaknesses there as far as guys getting to his outside?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: But like if you're talking about trading down potentially in that you know, eight to thirteen range, and you want to bring in a guy that you know fits what you're trying to do offensively and and how you're trying to build your team and the identity of the team, like that guy makes so much sense. I agree with you, Like basically, you look, I had conversations at the combine. I heard five different tackles at the top of different people's boards. You know between, you know the teams, you know, you know, draft experts, consultants, you know, media, Like everyone has a different guy that they like, which is interesting because usually you have a group maybe a two two.
Speaker 3: Tackles that you're designed between.
Speaker 2: This is genuinely like five guys that you're deciding between, and it's about who you really like. You know, all is a guy, great athleticism, great size. We talk about feel for the position at corner, right, this guy is a feel for the position at tackle. It's not always pretty, but he understands angles and he understands how to get his body in between a defender and a quarterback or in between the defender and a running back, and to clear and.
Speaker 3: To clear holes. And so it's it's a pick your poison situation.
Speaker 2: And with that, it's like, Okay, do you feel comfortable taking a guy at five at who might be a little bit flawed and maybe isn't that like slam dunk prospect. That's why when I did first mock, and also when we've done our beat writer mocks, like, I don't know how you pass on the league neighbors if he's there like this, assuming Harrison is gone, but I'm totally with you, Like that's the type of difference maker.
Speaker 3: That the Chargers have been looking for for forever.
Speaker 2: And like he jumps off the screen with his way, the way he accelerates out of his brakes, particularly on deep balls, the way he can set up defenders on deep balls, Like it's not just run straight, Like he has some deception in terms of how he plays in the deep part of the field. So, like you said, like in a trade down scenario, it opens the door for a lot of stuff. At five, you feel like, okay, it's receiver, maybe tackle if you trade down, Like you know, they need they need help everywhere. And so I wouldn't really be surprised by by anything.
Speaker 1: I think the you know, that's exactly exactly that would be surprising. I think in terms of like just we it's gonna be a trade down. I just don't see how it's not. Especially you know this this free agent cycle further solidifies the premium on an elite wide receiver on a rookie contract. I mean, when Calvin Ridley has a down year and he's getting ninety two million dollars and I believe Calvin's all one. I love him, I love his game, and it was a weird situation, but still ninety two million dollars. Like, so they're going to have I think someone's going to look at either Neighbors or Donsay and say, let's go get him, and like that's a lot of people. It's funny. Like the one thing I take more incoming on than anything week after week is, look, do I have a little bit of a bias? Yeah? I do. I'm a West Coast guy and I like a doosa, and I do believe in culture setters and culture changers. I think you know, what Klen Debor did at at Washington was obviously predicated on Michael Pennox, but I think at Dounsay was as important to that as Pennix was at creating what they created it in Washington. He is I said this about a mon ra when you know when he you know when kind of the charge. I knew we're in that middle round draft and I was like, listen, I don't know anything about the measurables and what you're looking for, but I can tell you my daughter was in high school when he was at Modern Day and when they were in those Bosco games, there was one guy. There was one guy and it was Jet Sweets and it was at the running back position and in the red zone. That dude refused to let that team lose. And that's how I feel about a Donesay, Like when the chips are down, that guy comes up with something and.
Speaker 3: He's got a little mic to him in that way, especially.
Speaker 1: Exactly, but just a superior athlete, like a Larry fitzg Like, that's what he reminds me of, is Larry Fitzgerald. Here is a gigantic receiver that has the explosiveness that you see the way he works his breaks. So but look, I'm with you, neighbors. Is incredible and that's sort of the level of explosiveness that we haven't seen here. And so I do I want to make it clear, I have no problem if they draft the receiver at five. I have no issue with that. I just don't. I think there are so many bigger issues on this team that if they trade back and take the tackle or the defensive end or the corner instead, they can get McConkey, they can get Wilson, they can get you know, Addie or Worthy out of tech. They can find another way to make it pure salt. They can find a way to make it work and add to that room while maybe getting something that I think would be more impactful right now. If that makes.
Speaker 3: Sense, Yeah, no, I think it makes sense. Two points.
Speaker 2: First point is you trade down and you give up your chance to take neighbors and or a Doonza and those guys become what we think they're going to become.
Speaker 1: That's tough.
Speaker 2: That's tough, especially coming from Baltimore, where you know, in Hortiz, where like best player available is what you do. You know that would be a little bit difficult. The other thing is what are you asking for in return?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Obviously that depends on where you're trading down to. If it's nine, that's different than eleven, that's different. Then with the Vikings, that's different than thirteen with the Raiders. Nine obviously being the Bears. The Bears would be the one trading up for the receiver, the other two and more like trying to trade up for a quarterback. Are you looking for twenty twenty four capital to add as much this roster right now as possible, or are you thinking down the road. Hey, let's try and get a future first, and then all of a sudden, you know, we'll do what we can this year, piece it together and hope Justin can carry us. And then all of a sudden, you got two first round picks in you know, twenty twenty five, potentially high picks.
Speaker 3: If one of these teams is trading up.
Speaker 2: For a quarterback and that rookie starts and then all of a sudden, you're really cooking, right, So that's my I don't know what they're gonna do. I would probably and I did this in our beat writer mock little tease, I would probably target future first in twenty twenty five because I think those are I think there's a market inefficiency there. I think the Eagles have been attacking it more anybody else. Well, where teams are like, yeah, take a future first, like we're going to make the playoffs and it'll be like the twenty six pick, and then you know they're the right you know, the Panthers and they end up like one fifteen or whatever, one sixteen, two and fifteen whatever they were. So that's where I would go that direction. But I'm curious what you think, what you would do and what you think they would do as far as a return in a trade down scenario.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it works both ways. For me, I'm fine with either just because of how deep this draft is. And you know, I think it would depend on how deep it is a wide receiver, how deep it is at o line. You know, if you feel really good about what you're getting in return, you know you could. So let's say you get an extra second. Well what if you decide to package those together, jump back up and now you've got Graham Barton, who a lot of people think is the best projected So now you trade back, you get your tackle, you trade back up with that extra second, and now you've solidified your offensive line. You're done the most important trench position offensively, and you move forward. Now that said, I'm going to this is what I do regularly on this is I contradict myself the idea, you know, but we just saw it like that. The thing is, it's nebulous, it's constantly changing. We just saw a freaking hunt get a one hundred million dollar contract at interior line to be average. So like that's that all comes that all becomes part of it. That if you can get a a an elite level starter locked in for five years on the offensive line, you know, you're talking about Slater Zion. I believe say I believe Zion is going to have a big year with this new I just I feel it. I just look at him. He's smart. I feel like that's fine. So, like, if you can now get four of your five offensive linemen to be in what you believe is an elite category and they're all young, and they're on different pay scales moving forward, that to me makes a lot of sense. So that's where I think about, and you would even maybe have to trade back in. I know there's a lot of interior linemen that whether it's center, Wisconsin and State, like, there's a lot of centers that people like that you're gonna be able to get in the second, maybe third, even fourth. Rauh like the one name that I've heard as like, and I'm gonna you could probably remember how to prize up Totanu, the Washington tackle guard who's being projected middle of the round, like the top interior alignment I like coming out. There's people that think he's in the best lineman, Like, dude, this guy you can play him at tackle, He's fine, you want to put him at guard, He's gonna be the best guard. In the draft, you want to put him at center, and this guy could end up being the next great center for the next fifteen years in the NFL. So like that's where it all gets sort of interesting. Now, is I make this answer way too long? Daniel? I love the idea of next year because, like, if we're just being realistic, I mean, if we're really looking at the way this thing is lined up this year, You're playing the AFC North, You've got the Chiefs in York Division, and you know you can try to get and these guys are competitive and I believe in them. I believe they will instill some sort of winning culture and toughness and they can win every one of these games and make the postseason. But especially if it's the Bears, because that's very similar to what the Dolphins did for Jalen Wato when they traded up, and they sacrifice the future first, you know, and to me, I would take that swing. I would take that swing in a division with the Lions and a vision with the Packers if that's what you can get out, if you can get a future first from the Bears to go from nine to five, because they want to pair an elite receiver with Caleb right away and get rolling. I would one one hundred percent do that as opposed to going back two more spots and taking a two on a three this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, Like I'm with you, like I lean toward future first capital in twenty five. But like it's really about what they want the timeline to be, and that's what we really don't know, you know, like if they're like, hey, we like you know, Jim Harbaugh came in San Francisco, they were six and ten, he turned that thing around in one year, Like he could look at this and say like, we're going to turn this around, like we're going to do it in one year, and in that case, then training down and getting capital this year. I love your idea of you know, potentially packaging the two seconds to move back in the first and going to get a center if a center's falling like that. That makes a lot of sense to me. But it's all about timeline. We got a little bit I wrote about this yesterday. We got a little bit of a taste, right and then keeping Khalil Mack to like, hey, not a full tear down here, We're not going to shred it up. So you know, that tells you that, hey, they're trying to do a little something here because they're pushing some of Khalil's money down the road, you know. But you know in the end, they're probably going to fall somewhere in the middle. And it's like, Okay, what is exactly the timeline here and how does that impact the draft strategy in terms of what they're looking for in trade down scenario?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I think you know, you also look at the division and obviously we focus on the Chiefs because that's the easiest way to get in the tournament, right to win the division. But behind it, you've got a bridge quarterback signed by the Raiders, and that you would assume they want to find that. The you know, word is that they are trying to get up into that top three. I don't think they're going to be able to get there. I can't imagine any of those three teams passing on any of these three quarterbacks. All listen, all the Drake may shade that is out there from the talking heads, don't believe it that the teams love him. Teams freaking love this guy. He's going in the top three. Okay, So, and I would be floored if Washington knowing what's coming next year. And granted, look, Jayden Daniels was not on the radar last year coming into this year, but this is the quarterback class. This is the class that everybody wants. So I just don't envision the Raiders being able to get up there. So they have Minshew obviously on a bridge deal, and he's going to compete with it. O. I've no idea what the Broncos are going to do. That's four games, that's four of your games right there in division. You know, do we think the NFC South is a huge mountain to overcome? Falcons are obviously going to be good with Kirk much better, But you get the Panthers, the Bucks and the Saints, like you can piece this together and feel like, Okay, I think we can get there. I think you know, and I think when you have Justin at quarterback, I think you just that that's what that's what you sort of highlighted here, Daniel. I think you're exactly right. When Justin's your quarterback, you want to go after it every year because just think about that Bengals roster that that Joe Burrow took to the Super Bowl. You know, on how many questions surrounded that offensive line, you know, and then Nwrickson ends up popping as that free agent, Like it just all came together. What did they do? They took the receiver instead of the tackles, you know, they took the receiver instead of Yeah, they took the receiver instead of the tackle, and it became yeah. So like I think that's how they can And it looks like based on you know, kind of you doing the that detective work of Khalil Mackett's, Like I think that's what they're thinking. They're thinking when you have justin even though you have no defensive tackles, no linebackers, you need a corner like they can still visualize, you know, and and but what like I would love to get your take on this. Yeah, I like Josh Palmer. I like Josh Palmer like has.
Speaker 2: Come from like I don't, I don't know where, Like everyone, it feels like the fan base is super down on him, like he's a new player, like he's he's like a really good number three receiver, which is and they took him in the third round. Like like I was actually thinking about that last night. I was like that was a good pick, Like he's a really consistent player. He's he doesn't really have a lot of weaknesses in his game, Like he's he's a good route runner, he's got good hands, he's got good feel. He can you know, get to multiple areas of the field, you know, short, intermediate, and even deep sometimes, Like.
Speaker 3: He's a good third receiver. I don't know where it.
Speaker 2: Came from that everyone soured on him so much. The question in the receiving room is Quintin, you know, why are they going to get out of him?
Speaker 3: I know that.
Speaker 2: They're like they're excited about you know what he could be, right san Jaylal, the receivers coach coming in from Seattle, you know you look at what he did with DK Metcalf. Yeah, you know, obviously different players, but you talk about molding tools into something tangible on the field, Like, you know, I could see him taking a step. That's really the question mark to me, Like I have a lot more faith than Josh Palmer to be a consistent performer than I do Quintin based on what I've seen.
Speaker 1: Hundred per one hundred percent. And I brought this up last week. I said the thing like, show me a Harbaugh team that had a highlight wide receiver. There aren't many that There were none at Michigan, there were none at Stanford. You could argue Crabtree, he might have been top ten twenty, that would be like, you know, but really it was Frank Gored Vernon Davis who had monster year. The year that Crabtree had his eleven hundred yard season, Vernon Davis had him. It's your year of that year. So it's like they maybe they have enough with Keenan. Allen's better than Michael Crimetrie ever was. So you've already got Keenans a one and that's you know, they signed dis Lee, so that could potentially help you out at right tackle. You actually have a tight end who can block for a change and help you out on that side of the line. So like now, to me, like there's a lot of that just continues to add to the many different directions they've been going. I don't know if you known' where I'm going with this, but like, to me, that then can bring the brock Bauers conversation into play where you know, we've got we feel like we've got enough. What if we add a truly unique weapon you know, like because like the thing when the thing when he showed up in San Francisco and took a six and ten team to thirteen and three. They were stacked, you know, like that team, Patrick Willis, Nabarro Bowman at linebacker, Aldo Smith, the maud Brooks Justice at the front. They had Staliot left tackle, They had Frank go or Bernon Davis, like they had players. And so I think the idea of do we have enough where we could really kind of drop this. I just don't know if Joe Ortiz wants his first ever first dround pick for the Chargers to be that kind of swing on a brock Bowers if you're going to pass up the receiver, you know, are you saying that? I'm saying if they traded down, traded down, could break? Could brock Bowers then be that piece and just be that total Swiss army knife of hey man, try to figure this out, Try to that the Travis Kelcey, the you know, that sort of level, because like people, I think forget Bernon Davis was a complete bust. Do you think about the meltdown that Mike Singletary had about him? And you know, I want you guys coming off the field that aren't all non shalot and like that little rant and what arbad do? He came in and he's like, you're in, We're going to feature you. And guy ends up having back to back monster seasons.
Speaker 2: He's a physical specimen though Vernon Davis, like at the University of Maryland where he went, That's where I went to school. I mean, he still has every single weightlifting record like to college decades ago. So I listen trade down scenario, like, sure, brock Bauer should be available, Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised by anything. My issue is really positional value. If you take him at five, he's got to be a top five player by the end of the contract, and then people saying that you can get the surplus value on.
Speaker 3: The second deal.
Speaker 2: In order to do that, he has to be Travis Kelce or Mark Andrews. He has to be your one a passing option in the offense. And that's like a there's just not a lot of margin for air.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: If you take him at nine to ten, eleven to thirteen.
Speaker 2: Range, the cap hit in the fourth year of the contract is around six million, which is like okay, now you have to be a top fifteen player, top seventeen player at the position. That to me is like, okay, I can see surplus value in that contract. The issue with me is all about, okay, how do you get the value out of it at five on the rookie deal so that when you pay him, you know, you're not like, you know, sinking value in both the rookie deal and right and the second contract.
Speaker 3: But that I think people are high on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that applies. Also. You know, this is something I brought up too that that people forget about, is the gap between number five and number nine, and then the gap between number five and like number twelve. Its gigant in terms of what money wise, I mean you are. So if you have let's just say you're like, okay, if you like all these tackles, this is our identity. Let's build out this line. If you've got you know, Fuaga and Fishanu and alt and late them and they're all plumped together, absolutely trade down and don't hand over eight whatever it is twenty nine million dollars thirty I think it's a thirty five million dollar contract. Give out a twenty two million dollar contract instead and get a pleyer that's got the same on a grade. It just the trade down scenario to me makes so much sense in less the grade on neighbors and a doone's ay, it's so far ahead of everybody else that you can ignore that gap that it's just not worth it to take that drop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed. So as far as offensive line, I want I wanted to go back to this.
Speaker 2: So yeah, let's say they trade down and they get Fuaga and they feel like he can play at right tackle, and then they're able to get a center in the second round. Then maybe they signed you know, Bradley Boseman or some sort of veteran center to consider there. Okay, so you feel like you have left tackle set with Rashaan, you have left guard set with I, And I agree with you. I think like with a different scheme and different coaching, I think he can be the player they expected him to be when they drafted.
Speaker 3: Him in the first round. You've got two guys competing at center.
Speaker 2: You've got two guys basically competing at right tackle with you know, Trey, and then you're rooking in this scenario, Fuaga, what do you do at right guard? That's really like a big question now, do you. Basically, what I think they could do is if they take a guy like Fuaga, who some people think will be a better guard than tackle. You have basically Jamari Salary, who can play at tackle and guard, has played guard, you know, was better at tackle. You have Fuaga who can play both spots, and then maybe you give you know, Trey Pipkins a look inside and you have three guys sort of competing for those two spots. My question would be, you know, what what would you do at right guard? Because the offensive line is going to be really really important. They got Gus Edwards, you know, they feel like they got a pure runner there downhill, physical, they finally got a blocking tight end after I've been writing about it ad nauseum for like seventeen years. But you got to also, you know, fill out that that offensive line and feel like you can get push on both sides.
Speaker 3: So you have a two way go in the running game. So what would you do there? If the vision is a running game, what do you do at that right guard?
Speaker 1: Yeah? To me, it's you know, the the Trey Pipkins thing becomes a look again attrition position. Right just get hurt so to be able to have a swing like Trey I think, or to have, you know, have another tackle helps a lot. To have positional flexibility with Jamari helps, you know. I don't know what you think. I thought make Fadden played pretty well last year when he jumped it, you know, that would be like I would probably lead with him over Sawyer. I do think and and look, I believe in this coaching staff. I just I think the world of Nick. I really do. He's one of the smartest guys I've ever talked football with. And he's someone that I think just understands that position so well and comes from that background that that I that I love, you know, all state wrestler, incredible hands, understands leverage, and I think you you know, and Devlin obviously think that a lot of people think very highly of Devlin. So to me, look, I don't know, I don't I can't speak, I don't want. I don't think the coaching was where it should have been last year. What they focused on, I'll leave it that way. What they chose to focus on on the offensive line is not what I think you need to focus on when it comes to offensive line, and that will be rectified this year. And I believe you will see and that's where it becomes interesting. I just I feel like Dan, we've seen, like I feel like we've seen a little bit too much variance from Trey to feel really good about going into a season knowing how just over and over and over again, teams would line up their best rusher against him and it would be an issue. Now again, you said you've been at nauseam asking for that blocking tight end to help out over there, get backs that can help pass pro you know, and help out over there, and feel good about Rashan. But like to me, that's kind of where I come out, and maybe this this this particular staff is like, oh no, we're good with Trey, we can we can work with this this he's got enough and we can work with this. But like to me, that's where that that right. Just to answer your left or right guard question, depending on where they want to put Zion moving forward. I thought mcfad looked pretty good, Yeah, I did. I think they can work with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was really good in the Broncos game. Like I watching that tape, I was like, Okay, that that guy can potentially play in the league. There, which is a really good point The other really good point is that we have no idea how much coaching is going to impact you know, all of these guys. And I think you said it well, so I'm not even.
Speaker 3: Going to try and explain it to I tried to.
Speaker 2: I think that was very deft and how he went about that like, I think, you know, I actually give it.
Speaker 3: I'll give it a spin.
Speaker 2: So I think, like in order and I'll take what Greg Roman said at his introductory press conference to beat writers. In order to be a good running team, there has to be intention and what he said is you actually have to call the runs.
Speaker 3: You got to do it, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think there was some frustration among all the players involved in the run game that they would get away from it, and that was under both Joe Lombardi and Kellen Moore, and it was like we got to get in a rhythm. Like the human element of this thing I think gets lost. It's like, if you're an offensive lineman, you want to get after people. And so you know, if you if there are a couple of runs early in the game that don't hit, you got to stick with it because those guys want to get after people. And this is that's the vision, that's what these guys believe in, from Harba to Roman. You got to call them. You gotta have an identity, you have to have an intention, and then you have to get after people. So I think on a philosophical level, like you can probably expect elevated play in the run game from all of these offensive lineman strictly because of that.
Speaker 3: And then you then you start talking.
Speaker 2: About like the details, the specifics of technique and all that kind of stuff. If that improves from a coaching standpoint, you know how much improvement are you going to see when you have both of those things working together, the philosophical approach and the intention, and then also you know better day to day practice to practice snap to snap, coaching on the on the technique and stuff, and so like, I think they have pieces there, but like, if they're gonna build it this way and they're gonna be a running team and they want to be a bully, you got to keep investing an offensive line.
Speaker 3: It's got to be where you're just turning it over every year.
Speaker 2: More talent, more talent, more talent, create that competition and just have that talent base.
Speaker 3: So that if guys do leaving free agency, you.
Speaker 2: Get a compic and you got another player coming up, and that's I think about they're trying to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, to me, that's again this is this is what you're doing long term. You just said it. I think there's you think about what the Packers do every year when they draft a receiver, if not too in the third and fourth route, Like every year I draft a running back and I would draft an offensive lineman Like that's that, Hey, rounds three through six, two of those picks are going to be O linemen and running back. Like that to me is just keep charring and like you said, it's just a you can let him walk. You get your compic and here's the next guy we plug in because this is how we're going to play. And I think that's one thing about Roman is you know he he is from what you know. My understanding is he's someone who has been in control of everything. He is not just a play caller. He is invested in when it comes to the run game, the O line he is in. He's not just the play he is the running back. He's coaching the O line, he's calling the O line, He's calling everything. When it comes to the runs, and it's one of the reasons why there's just so much consistency because he knows front to back. It's not just a call on a play sheet, it's this is how it needs to be executed. This is why it's being executed this way. And it's not about this one play. It's about the full sixty minutes of where we're going front to back. And I think it's also why the sort of passing game coordinator has always been important in those offenses. And that's where the whole Harbaugh thing comes in, you know, with having Rome and this is a pair that's been very comfortable, you know, merging, you know what Roman is so good at with you know, Jim Arba, who probably doesn't get enough credit because he's viewed I think more as like that CEO culture ceter toughness, which is true. But this is a guy that can call offense. This is a guy that knows how to call office. So I think that's kind of what people lose sight on, is that, Yeah, romans here to kind of rebuild this run game, which has never existed since they moved here in twenty seventeen. It really hasn't existed for the last fifteen twenty years. And you know, when you marry that with what Harbaugh was able to do, I'm very, very excited to see something we just haven't seen, just a style that we have not seen. And look, Anthony Lyne tried to do it, you know, he tried to do it. They just didn't think that the line was it was bad. Like the line was bad in those years when you think it is crazy to think about what they rolled out there on the offensive line, I don't want which is why. Yeah, I mean the forest layup Dan Feeney, Antosh sam Tevia tackle of Ocoon who was on one leg, you know, but pretty much the entire time he was here. And oh shoot, remind me of whom I forgetting from Chicago, Mia Michael Schofield like you have you can't like you got no chance, You've got no chance. So to be able to have that those bodies, the amount of talent they have, this you can really make an elite unit. And and look there's you know, look at what they had at Michigan. You're talking about a team that won the award for the best offensive line, guys that were winning the Rimington Trophy. Like that's how they did it. You know, look what you put into the league. What do you put in the league from Stanford to Michigan. Lineman, defensive and offensive linement, that's what they put into the league. And guys who excel at their positions in the league. So and a quarterback and a quarterback exactly quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's because I think I guess your point right, Like I think this whole idea that Greg Roman's going to come in as the play caller is just going to be smash mouth and only smash mouth, like Jim Harbaugh played fifteen years in the league. Like this guy was slinging it like he's a quarterback. I think a Greg Roman offense filtered through Jim Harbaugh is very different than a Greg Roman offense filtered through John Harbor, who's a special team this defensive coach. And I will say this like this is going to be a Jim Harbaugh offense, Like he is very involved in these early stages of building this offense. He's not taking a back seat at all whatsoever. And so I think you're right on it there. The one thing is like they're gonna have alignment here, and if you go back to the previous regime. They were kind of patching the run game together, like they wanted ideas from a bunch of different places, you know, they wanted to outside outside zone stuff, you know, from the Shanahan Tree. So they brought in Shane Day at quarterbacks coach, and they had Frank Smith who was really the one implementing it, but it never really coached for a Shanahan Tree head coach or offensive guy. And then you had some you know, different elements you know from the New Orleans days, and they were trying to kind of bring it all together and that's tough to do. Like you need that alignment, you know, from the head coach on down as far as like this is gonna be our identity schematically, philosophically right to produce. And then when you translate that to the players, they know exactly what you're about.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's not like, hey, we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna do some of this and some of this and some of this and some of this is all gonna come together and be great.
Speaker 3: They're like, well, what are we?
Speaker 2: And I think Corey Linsley talked that about that like a lot publicly, like hey, we we never really had that identity of okay, we're gonna be whatever it is. We're gonna be an outside zone team, or we're gonna be like a duo downhill team like it was never. That vision was never, you know, crystallized in a way that the players felt super confident about and that I can guarantee you that will not happen under the Harvard.
Speaker 3: Room and regime.
Speaker 1: Let's I'm with you that they are going to have an identity. I can promise you that. And because they look, they've run you know gap and you'll, like you said, I think you'll see a lot of gap, a lot of duo and in power, you know, God's play. That's what you're gonna see. I'll make just to say what back and.
Speaker 3: You're unless they think this said, I mean maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you said it. Let's let's finish with that. The guys that they have signed. We did not dig into the Gus Edwards. You kind of briefly mentioned Will Disley, but everybody had had tracked you know that connected that those two dots Gus Edwards makes too much sense. And I'm anxious to see if they maybe decide to get the other guy as well. On a one year flyer coming off an injury. Just bring Dobbin sober because man, I'm freaking.
Speaker 3: So much upside there.
Speaker 2: Like give him ave minimum contract with like tons of incentives up to you know, up to like that market level of six million, and like if he comes back from the injury and he's anything close to what he was, yes, you know.
Speaker 3: Before the Achilles or even before the a c L. Like, all of a sudden, you've got two really good backs.
Speaker 2: You compliment him with a with a rookie, and then all of a sudden, you got really good competition in camp as well, where Isaiah Spiller's got to prove himself. He's going to stay on the roster. Like that plan makes a makes a lot of sense to me as well. I love the potential JK. Dobbins play if they can set up the contract that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but just kidding gus out of here. And actually not any legitimate big back who has shown can be productive, yeah in this league something they haven't had. They have not had a back like this since they arrived in twenty seventeen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, I think we've talked about a lot of the issues with the running game that they're trying to fix.
Speaker 3: The one we haven't touched on.
Speaker 2: Is that, like they just never had that pure runner and they tried to find it, like that guy that's just downhill between the tackles that can play that type of bully style that you want in the run game. Austin is a Eckler, is a fantastic player, like super dynamic, but the strength of his game was never as like a runner of the football, like he could do it, but where he brought value was as a pass catcher, you know, being able to line up in different spots and then being you know, in my opinion, maybe the best angle route.
Speaker 3: Runner in the league.
Speaker 2: Joshua Kelly has some of those traits, but I just don't think he ever had sort of that natural feel of how to see the vision, how to hit holes. It just never felt really natural, and I think that was part of the reason he didn't take the step. Some of it is the other stuff we talked about, between the blocking itself and the philosophy. So I think you know, with Edwards, what you have is a guy that can be that type of bully like And the one thing that's really interesting to me about Gus Edwards is, yeah, he's twenty nine, but he doesn't have a ton of mileage. No, like you're talking about. I think it's like seven hundred and fifty maybe eight hundred career touches. Compare that to Eckler, who's at you know, two thousand career touches and is the same age.
Speaker 3: Like, I think it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: You're not even paying that much for him, but you're also bringing in a guy who doesn't have a ton of mileage, and maybe these are the years where he becomes that workhorse and you can really put that load on him because he hasn't had that load in years past.
Speaker 3: So I think it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: You know, as far as the vision, the fit, the contract, all that, I thought it was a great sign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't tell you how many third and ones, Like you're watching them trot Eckler out there or Joshua Chilly and it's like, will you give it to the guy who's two hundred and twenty pounds that's on the sideline at least gives Spiller the shot to make has happened, don't stop going with the guy that's two zero five. So to have someone with actual girth that can maybe push that file, you know the three feet that you needed to go. Not to mention, I would assume Greg Roman and Jim Arbar and have a very long conversation and making sure Justin Herbert's a lot more comfortable like quarterback sneaks, knowing how valuable that is and just that the other coordinators and coaches could not convey to him to be more effective on that front. Disally was someone that we had, you know, whether it was parkin center or Disley. It seemed like those Seattle tight ends were connected to the Charterers and well as well, and they finally get a tight end who is very good at blocking and plenty capable in the receiving game.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I was looking through potential options that they could afford, and Disley was the guy that jumped out to me, you need a blocker like you need a guy that can block like and I shouldn't be getting like worked up about it because they finally signed the guy that I've been waiting for them to sign for five years. But it felt like I could not understand why they wouldn't go out and just get a blocking tight end on a cheap deal. You know, like there was all expensive, Chris Manhertz like two years million, like just go do it. Like there were opportunities to go sign one of these guys and they were like, no, we're going to roll with Gerald Everett and we believe Trem m kitty's going to take the step. And it's like, well, I'm no football expert, but I was watching Trey McKitty week over week and I never saw it at any point, So I don't know why the confidence was there, But bygones, be bygones, right, Like I think, yes, what you're seeing now is like, well, this coaching staff and the front office are the line that they want to run the football. And if you want to run the football, you got to have a tight end that can block, and that's why.
Speaker 3: They prioritized it.
Speaker 2: So you go out with limited cap space, you get a runner with the physicality that you're looking for, and you get a professional blocker at tight end. And like that to me is like, Okay, this makes a lot of sense. You can see what the vision is, you can see what the process is, you can see what they.
Speaker 3: Want to do.
Speaker 2: They've said it publicly and it's aligned with the moves that they're making. And I think it's it's a little bit of a change of pace from from what we've seen in recent seasons from the organization.
Speaker 1: And I always said we were going to do about thirty and we ended up with fifty one.
Speaker 3: But we honestly we could.
Speaker 1: We could. I got a prep for an Iowa Indiana or in Iowa, Iowa state, in a Penn State Indiana game tonight. So why I'm in a hotel room and it's why we have Daniel Popper looking like the Ultimate Warrior with the the sun coming through the blinds, trying like hell, you're trying like l but.
Speaker 2: Honestly, yeah, like when I'm working because I get great natural light in my office, but it's not great for when I'm recording podcasts because these are this is definitely gonna get screenshotted and used as.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Ultimate Warrior dude, it is. It is lined up perfectly. There are moments where I'm telling you, man, we just got to get you some some sweet freaking suede tassels coming off your freaking swoll biceps and you will be good to go. Brother. That's our that's our teas to get you to go to the YouTube and the Chargers dot Com to watch the video portion of it, but be sure to follow Daniel on Twitter, subscribe to The Athletic. It's it's just the best man. He does a hell of a job and you can post and stuff every single day and uh to put a button on it because I like feeling like I'm right and if you agree with me then that makes me feel good. Yeah, if you told me they can, they got to go out and get one more free agent. JK. Dobbins is my guy. Like, I was like that, just that makes way too much sense to me. Obviously, they need a center, they need defensive daggles, all that stuff. They're gonna go bargain shopping here these next couple of weeks once they get the contract squared away with Joey and and Genan and figure out how much more money they have.
Speaker 3: But my guys, Bran do make so much sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there, I assume there's a cop pick there, but I don't think he's gonna cost that much.
Speaker 3: No, he got cut. He got cut by the We got cut. Yeah, I know, we got cut.
Speaker 2: Perfect for the super Bowl team in twenty twenty one, but he lost to Todd the Coleman. Shelton last year, so probably get him at a decent price because he didn't start last year. We were talking about at with considerable experience in the playoffs as well.
Speaker 3: That's the guy that.
Speaker 2: Makes a ton of sense if they can get him for the right price. But you know me, I'm always gonna focus on offensive linemen because exactly talking about it until I see a complete unit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is our year, I feel it. It's we're all lined up. It's all lined up. Yeah, all right, So appreciate you all, chargers weekly in the books. Unfortunately, nothing new on Keenan Allen and Joey Bosa as the time at the moment that we recorded this, so I would assume that's going to get probably squarreed away in the next couple days, maybe even hours by the time we posted, So forgive us our trespasses if in fact that happens. But thank you for for downloaded listening. We appreciate your subscribe to your friends, rate comment, do it all, and we'll be back again next week.