Speaker 1: But all right, job.
Speaker 2: All across the USC Compton watch Bay to La, come on to California, y day, come out in the valley.
Speaker 1: We present that Keller County.
Speaker 3: So if you're keeping it.
Speaker 2: Real on your side of your town, you tune into Gainst the Chronicles Chronic Goals. We gonna tell you how we goals. If I lie my nose will girl like Pinocchio. We're gonna tell you the truth and nothing but the truths the chronic Goals.
Speaker 1: This is not your average shows.
Speaker 2: You're now tuned into the rail mc ain't, Big change and big spells the streets.
Speaker 3: Hello, Welcome to the Gainst the Chronicles podcast, the production of iHeart Radio and Black Effect Podcast Network. Make sure you download the iHeart app and subscribe to Against the Chronicles For my Apple users, hit the Purple Michael your front screen, subscribed Against the Chronicles, leave a start rating the comment what's happening, and welcome to another episode the Gangs the Chronicles Podcast. I'm with my homeboy, Yeah today, you know he. I think it's well established man that we older gentlemen we OG's what the youngsters like to call ogs, right right, But I like to think that we come from the dopest time period of our heyday, the nineties, the late ladies, in the early nineties. Don't you think that there was probably the dopest times in hip hop?
Speaker 4: Them some good years, the years you know, we had some real you know, we had some the introduction of the street shit and you know, and hip hop was kind of universal, you know, you know, we appreciated all type of motherfuckers.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You can bang you some West Coast shit, but then you still can bang you some motherfucking EPMD or some.
Speaker 3: Ll cool J. Big Daddy came. You feel me. It was a good It was a good era. And the biggest thing is everybody was a riginal What no more m cs and what no more Big Daddy Kynes? You know you didn't have you know, right now, you can't tell people apart. They sound just alike.
Speaker 4: With an art of storytelling exactly to be you know, minished forgotten. We had tales from the hood, so to speak.
Speaker 3: We got it.
Speaker 4: We had a lot of you know, and even to not be on some streets ship East Coast homies told tales too, you get me.
Speaker 3: But that's how you learned about everybody's community across the.
Speaker 4: Country, whether it was it was you know, ll telling stories about you know, I Need Love or Hollace Queen's and you know, run DMC telling stories about you know they Adidas and ship like that. Concepts and stories and ship is what is what kept the ear intrigued. And that's what made it a good era, you know, because everybody, well we had we had to ship called you know, niggas was biting.
Speaker 3: Nobody wanted to bite each other. Yeah, that was like a cardinal seeing back then you got a billion niggas saying jail right now you feel Yeah, for sure. I told y'all is publishing.
Speaker 4: Niggas niggas you know, we had, we had, like I said, we had the.
Speaker 3: Niggas made records of don't bite my ship. You get me for real. And I don't want nobody to say that we out here because ideos some dope youngs are here. Oh definitely, you know, some dope kids out here doing anything, you know.
Speaker 4: And in this in this era of of what it's called hip hop, you got a few storytellers out there, a few you know, uh, a few niggas who done been through some situations who ready to tell their stories and you know, make good music. Like I said, any motherfucker can make a song or raph can you put together music in the in the sense of where it's considered you know, you're just not making a gang of run on sentences together and ship. You telling the story taking a nigga to the progress as far as the song is concerned. Uh, you know, so I don't think that's that's a thought today everybody. I'm just gonna go in there and just bust nigga, going for fuck it. And I guess that's what they call uh freestyling.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just a It's just a freestyle.
Speaker 4: And I'm not gonna speak or no particular subject or tell no story.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna rap.
Speaker 4: Nigga one plus one is fun and fun in the sun nigga, their eggs is done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's crazy they're doing it. But you know what, man, we had a lot of dope people. Man. It took us through journeys to their prospective neighborhoods. Man, one of these the guy we got on stage with us tonight, Now, he did you know what you did? Put out a rap album. So I say you can put out a rap album. But you told said I tried that ship. You know, you gave everybody a glimpse of what LA was like. Right.
Speaker 5: So the thing about the album is that I was I did a video with Scarface called the Magine Video, and so I was like, damn all the rappers trying to be active.
Speaker 1: I said, let me just let me try this ship.
Speaker 3: Plus we got to check out that motherfucker.
Speaker 1: To ship, you know what I did.
Speaker 5: But I also love music and like I sing a little bit, so I always loved music. So my boy seven aralius. You know, we went out to rap a lot and we signed a production production deal together.
Speaker 3: That's dope.
Speaker 1: That's what really, that's how it.
Speaker 3: So you did that with seven and seven wound up. That's how old girl from Murder and when she redid the Mary Mary Mary and went down there and got that shape from them. Boy, he said, y'all using my stuff.
Speaker 5: So what happened was like me and seven used to when Seven first started. Seven was a talented producer, but he wasn't into flipping lyrics and he didn't know how to I knew I know all music.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, say, if.
Speaker 5: You you you you kind of like gospel. You know you got that you play the chords grade, But I said, think about flipping and like using different melodies and flipping the melodies or whatever. So then like I taught him out of you know what I'm saying. I taught him how to do that. But he was always a talented producer and could play. But we kind of we kind of matched, you know, matched. He was the first person to tell me that I was producing though, because I would hear melody or I would do it. He'd be like, you know, that's producing, and the other homies wouldn't tell me that.
Speaker 3: They was just a definitely they're getting their money man shout out at the home. What EP, me and him was just talking when you hear stuff like twisters? What's twist is big record? He had not overnight celebrity, but the other one Slow Jams. My boy EP played every every chord that was on that motherfucker though, every court that was on that motherfucker. And you know, everybody don't get that credit. You know, they get a keyboarders.
Speaker 4: To make sure. Guy used to play for me, Willie Z. I used to shot him out on records and ship because he was talented. You know what I'm saying. So I didn't want to take credit for motherfucker's playing and niggas being gifted with that ship you give me U, So I definitely would recognize the musicians who play.
Speaker 3: Sure. You have to you have to man for sure. Man, it's so tiring.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 3: What I was saying was Man be in the nineties, Man minutes to society. I always say, it's wonder if they had a time capsule for motherfuckers, like a thousand years from now, a glimpse of certain time periods. Was that would be a movie that I would put in that time capsule to say, this is how stuff really was kind of in the neighborhood, not everywhere, but in the neighborhood. And it told the story of not just South central LA, but that's Compton, that's Long Beach, that's Newark, New Jersey, that's Brooklyn. You feel what I'm saying is, you know, the characters changed a little bit in the dress code, change a little bit, but it's the same stuff going on. When y'all did that movie This Is for You two eight, when y'all did that movie Man thirty some years ago. Now did y'all think it would have the impact that it has today.
Speaker 4: Don't Tyring could probably you know, address that better because he was, you know, an actor and getting into that shit. Me was just on some Hey. You know, I didn't even think they was gonna call a nigga to be in the movie. Uh So, but to think about, you know, down the road and history and future, and I just saw it, as you know, uh it was a gang of movies being made at that time that focused on the neighborhoods and poverty and the gang violence and the police brutality and all of that shit. So I don't know if I saw it going as far you get me, because you know, with rapping shit or hip hop whatever, we was always kept to a certain you know, we was always looked upon as you know, the outside the black sheep, and especially if you did the music I was doing. You know, you gotta you gotta double, you gotta double funny.
Speaker 3: Look, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: They already didn't like the fact of the hip hop, but then if you did what we was doing, you know, talking about the oppression in the streets and the gang violence and all of that, they really didn't like a motherfucker.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if.
Speaker 4: I saw it getting as big as it could be because of the nature of what it was. Now to us, it was gonna be the shit you get me, But it's like that crossover shit. You know, you put out a record and you aiming for it to be great in your sector, but then next thing, you know, that motherfucker playing all over in Europe and you can walk through the fucking casinos in Vegas and they got it in the elevators, and you reach that crossover status. So I don't know if I thought it would reach that crossover status, Like.
Speaker 3: Definitely, it definitely crossed over. And Tyron, if I'm not mistaken, that was your first major that was your first leading role.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm my first major leading role. So what what what should we started? Did I think it was going to be successful?
Speaker 3: Oh? Did you even Let's go back to you auditioning for the.
Speaker 1: So me auditioned. So I'm at the house.
Speaker 5: I just finished auditioning for Boys in Hood like two weeks before then. John Singleton like, are you perfect for the part? So I'm thinking this is when I first learned about Hollywood. I'm like John single said, I'm perfect. I'm like, Okay, cool, I'm gonna be in Boys in the Hood. I'm I'm excited. And then when I didn't get the part, I'm at the house with uh, with my girlfriend at the time in high school, you know what I'm saying, rubbing on her and.
Speaker 3: Are you in high school? This time?
Speaker 1: I was in high school a year removed my high school.
Speaker 5: My girlf was still in high school, so she was in she was in eleventh twelfth grade. I just graduated, and so I'm at the house and all I hear, uh, how does the Bible South Central? And I'm like, I see it on the juke box. Remember we had jukebox back of the day and all that stuff, And I'm like, wait a minute, I said, that's the move. I'm hearing the lines on the on the TV, and I'm like, I just auditioned for that. So and I just I said, it's just gonna be crazy. I could just I could just tell the energy of it that the movie was gonna be huge. So I was kind of like like, damn, that was my shot. And then next thing I know, like a like a month or two later, like I got the call for a minutes my Homeboy, the Rest in Peace, Tommy gun he Uh and my homeboy Tylo. We drove to the audition with no breaks with Red. It was like a bill or something. They had no breaks. We had like fire out with the gas. We had like five out. When the game we trying to get to Hollywood. I didn't call my.
Speaker 1: Hair and I didn't do nothing. I was I was. I was like, man, it ain't gonna. It ain't nothing.
Speaker 3: It's just some random That's when you wind up getting some ship though most of the time you ain't gonna. That's when it pop off.
Speaker 1: So I get there.
Speaker 5: I get there and Alan Hughes is like, man, we've been looking for you for years.
Speaker 1: I said, huh. I'm like confused, Like, what did they see where they want me?
Speaker 5: So they seen the rhythmation with Janet Jackson, they seen they seen me do Michael Jordan's playground. They seen uh, and I did just American's Most Wanted where I played the blood.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I played the blood.
Speaker 5: And so then they were just like they seen all the uh, they seen all those different kind of characters and they was like, Okay, well we've seen him in uh Janet Jackson rhimation. So we know, he has emotion and it was in facial expression that we like. So then when I did the play, when I played the Blood, they seen I knew how to They knew I knew how to do all that.
Speaker 1: So they to them, they said, he's he's the guy.
Speaker 5: He's young because they didn't want to they didn't want to say cripple blood in the movie. We needed somebody that was just like had the Street the Street, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true because you never knew, they never really identified and we didn't we didn't try to. Uh.
Speaker 4: That was one and I guess one of their points. I mean, because we had just had uh uh, we had colors who you know, was heavy influenced on crip and blood, and I'm pretty sure that brought a lot of tension to you know, people for exploiting that. So wanting to do these neighborhood movies, I guess dudes tried to you know, stray away from actually saying you saw it in Boys in the Hood too. You knew Cube in them was from you know, the crip side, because then they had the enemies in Red you get, but nobody actually said blood or crip in the movie. So that's what we tried to. I guess that's what they tried to focus on with Minutes You Get Me, and then it wasn't really on and they probably threw a little bit in there you get Me putting me in the movie. Uh the dudes who shot, you know, tiring in them. They was in Burgundy at the Hamburger stand. But I get not wanting to, you know, because we had enough problems with with cripping in the blood, you know what I'm saying, and just trying to like really just trying to survive in La and Compton. And then I'm pretty sure, you know, just like the thought of doing records. I never wanted to just oh yeah, I'm a crip. I'm a crip. I'm a crip, because I wanted blood niggas to buy my records too. So that's why I was always just pushing the issue of the city and the neighborhood. It don't matter what neighborhood you're from, whether you wearing red or blue or purple or whatever, it's still problems going on that we all going through because we're growing up here. So I guess that was that was one of the points of not trying to focus you know, too heavy on the cripping and blood and shit.
Speaker 3: So you go up there and how soon did they let you know you had the part? Because I know when I was going on auditions sometimes you may have to go. I've been on as many as five auditions for the same part.
Speaker 5: They basically told me there they was just like when they say were looking for you and the energy, and they it wasn't like a a reading or anything.
Speaker 3: Like or it wasn't so they pretty much probably when he wrote.
Speaker 1: That part, he was probably had had me in mind.
Speaker 5: And next thing I know, like a week or later, I'm at Rosco with my uncle and they like, they just go, we want you to play Cane, the lead character in Minutes a Society.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm just like, I'm just trying.
Speaker 5: I'm like Jesus Christ, okay, you know I'm trying to. I'm like, I've been here before in my mind. I'm like, calm down or whatever. So to your point, when I when I got the film, I did not know it was gonna be huge like that. I just thought I thought like I believed in me, and I was like, it's gonna be a I'm gonna give my all to it. But I have no idea that it was going to be like that until I went to the screening.
Speaker 3: When it's a hood, it's a certifying classes.
Speaker 5: When I went to the screening of it, when they when they first screened it for the audience and I was in the I was in the screening and they just they were cheering and they were crying and they were laughing, and they all those three elements let me know that I had we had a hit.
Speaker 1: They did, all.
Speaker 3: Three of them had the premiere eight screen.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you went. I went to the screening right before.
Speaker 3: The screen is different than the premiere.
Speaker 5: Right before it was right before all the the real it was like the when they have the audience from you know, how they have an audience that AI come see it, and they was they were They laughed, they cried, they start clapping, they were cheering.
Speaker 1: They did everything. I said, Oh ship, I said, I knew, I knew.
Speaker 5: And then the way it was, the way it was filmed, it wasn't a typical street. It was the way it was they focused on the light being red and then green, and then the it like took you on a roller coat. How how to be in South Central LA trying to survive it.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. It was like they it was directed.
Speaker 5: It wasn't just a bunch of It wasn't just a bunch of niggas talking about nigga break yours.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. It wasn't like that, Like we actually cared.
Speaker 5: It's like even when we're in the car, ate like, hey man, you niggas acting like bitches like nigga just nigga, you know what I mean, Like we were We were friends. It wasn't just like some niggas just go do this ship and we had each other back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could tell that y'all had a camaraderie and a thing like a played the big homie perfectly. You know, he played the big homie perfect because he was telling every everybody had a certain reference and respect for him. When he said, y'all niggas shut the fuck up. Y'all sound like some bitches, and then he say something funny, yeah.
Speaker 5: And then when he had to happen when when when we came short, he finished it off like when we was running, hey, y'all, you need to help man, Like we got it. We don't need no evidence. We don't need nobody almost alive. Don't don't dump dump we out like the big homie like na, we don't need nobody to live.
Speaker 3: Niggas and my homie fine be gonna appreciate this. When I hustle, we hustle in front of a Hamburger stand that was on Anaheim, just like that, cross the street from it on Ohio and Anaheim and a long beach, right And when I tell you, without going in too much detail, when shit go down, it go down just that quick. Oh definitely. So it was a very realistic scene that right there was. It was very realistic because that's how it happened. You either some work chilling or somebody else is just some work chilling and they don't have no idea on what's about to happen. Vengeans go down that quick in.
Speaker 4: The streets, Oh definitely. Situations arise pretty quickly. You don't get too much time to think about it. When they get ready to go down, you just react and hopefully you've been out there enough that your reaction time is good when you know some shit to getting ready to go down, because if that's not, then usually that's how you get caught slipping and niggas end up dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was a whole bunch of stuff in the movie, man, just the whole When you guys, when you initially read that script, right, you didn't have a clue that it was gonna be that significant.
Speaker 5: Nah it it read more, it read more Street. But when you look at it, it was really educational. Like it was very educational, I would like to me, like it showed you, like most niggas be living with their grandmamas and like that that's really real, Like niggas grandmamast really be raising niggas.
Speaker 3: In a lot. It was very realistic, That's what I said. It was very realistic. Yeah. They they hit on a lot of.
Speaker 4: I think in depth ship about life growing up in the projects and and uh, you know, stuck in limbo, in in in trying to be accepted by the hood, and you know, having their motherfucking grandma, grandpa back values to where you want to do good.
Speaker 3: You know, you want to be.
Speaker 4: A straight kid or you know, a straight motherfucker. But when you live in in a section where peer pressure is everything and belonging is everything, and especially as you know.
Speaker 3: A single kid, you get me. You got no.
Speaker 4: Brothers, no sisters, no cousins, and you know, so influenced to become affiliated is heavy.
Speaker 3: And that was the thing about that film. Man. It shows you everything because what I got from is you know, you would think watching it that people just get a lot of street stuff from it, you know, the whole gang banging element and all that. I think with people, more than anything else got from it, man, is that property is a motherfucker dog and when you black and growing up without much dog. Because I think the most powerful part in the film was when your grandfather asked you, came, do you give a fuck if you live or die? And you really looked at him like, shit, I don't know. I'm trying to get through the day. Right.
Speaker 5: You got to understand growing up in a neighborhood, like what is it really for you to do? Actually, if you're not entertainment or like, what is it actually to do? It ain't nothing to do but to get in some kind of trouble because you're trying to get your money.
Speaker 3: Think about this, Think about if this man right at the end of the table didn't have storytelling and rapping ability, or if you didn't know how to act, what would y'all be doing now, you just life life.
Speaker 4: You know, you fortunate to be put in a position like you know, I was able to write down your tales and stories and shit I saw participated in. But before then, shit, like I said, the quest was to be from the neighborhood. Shit Like you be a kid and you might, oh, yeah, I'm gonna be a fireman, or I'm gonna be a policeman or a football or sports motherfucker.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: But then when you're living in poverty once again, and shit, everybody in the neighborhood is selling dope and gang banging and like minutes, try to walk that line, right because you're in the neighborhood and you were a kid. As a kid, you don't really know what's going on around you the world.
Speaker 3: You're a kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you're riding your bike down the street where two niggas just got killed last night.
Speaker 3: You don't, you don't. You don't focus on that as if you and to humanize the characters, right, because even Old Dog, as fucked up as Old Dog was, you still saw at the end of the day, he was just a little kid from the hood that was trying to survive and I mean, this is doing what he had to do. That's what I'm handed. You get me. I'm not educated. You give me. That shit stopped and he probably had some mental problems too.
Speaker 4: That shit probably stopped when I was you know, like I said, when you four and five and you going to school and everything is fun until you face with dealing with the reality of nigga. We in poverty like a motherfucker, and it starts affecting you and fucking with you to where your dreams of being something other than what's around you, that shit is gone all whole good.
Speaker 3: It's like, so.
Speaker 4: To be able to you know, do what you do or whatever, and to just make it out of the situation is in problems for a lot of niggas. And that's why you got a lot of niggas from the era of my days who you know, got thirty twenty five years to life in the pen and you know, or just now coming home and you know, all this new wave of technology and internet and all this shit. But that's why a lot of us, a lot of us was faced with that because we didn't have no choice back then. You get me, It's a lot of choices today for you to stray away from growing up in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Back then. Shit, it were I.
Speaker 4: Didn't you know, we didn't have too many sports teams and niggas didn't have private trainers and camps and all that shit, you know, And all I knew about in the neighborhood was the niggas who were slanging and who got bussed on, you know, last night or whatever whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean. So it's kind of hard to stray away from that for real. And you was raised like I guess she was made for that part because she was raised by your grandmother too, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was, Well, my mom my mom had me when she was like thirteen fourteen in the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Whatever, So my mom was there.
Speaker 5: She just was a kid as well, so we were we were like kids together kind of thing. And my grandmother and I have my aunties, so I just, you know, I've seen a lot, you know what I mean. I understood that I didn't want to be in gangs because my uncle played football. He never dranked and never smoke, and I just always remembered that like he wanted to be something.
Speaker 1: So I was like, well, I gotta I gotta figure this out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she was playing football and stuff too.
Speaker 1: You went to her, Yeah, went to Sarah, you went to high school.
Speaker 3: I mean you talked about that you was a defensive back man, and yeah, Tying is a physical motherfucker. I know you know. We ain't gonna talk like the other people. Tyron got some squabbles.
Speaker 5: Man, I wouldn't even say. I just defend myself like any other human being. It ain't about who can and when you if you're protecting yourself, it's not about having squads. It's about like, I don't I don't real I don't mess with nobody.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't want no issues. I know how to walk away from an issue. I know how to do all those things. It's just when I can't. I just want to defend myself like any other human being.
Speaker 3: Man. And us as you go win when you don't, when you want to, don't start problems. You usually wanted to be a victor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's anybody, anybody. If you if you got started, I feel like you should win. If you didn't start, start no trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you get this role, man, how quick do your life change?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: It's it's crazy because I grew up on fifty first and Hoover, and where I come from. I just always like to just do normal stuff like walk to the liquor.
Speaker 1: Store and do stuff that I was just accustomed to doing.
Speaker 5: I remember going to the liquor store and and it was just like the cars start piling up on the block or whatever, and I just I was like, Okay, this is this is this is a little different. But I'm still a little naive because I'm just like that's all I know is just how to like I'm not I didn't come from Hollywood. I didn't come for where my nobody in my family was in Hollywood, so I didn't know, like I can't walk down the street no more, I can't go to the liquor store do regular stuff, like go to the actual liquor store. I was like, I'm gonna go to the lick store and buy me some more fucking policies and stuff you just like regular.
Speaker 3: Shit and pulling up on the side of the road, on you.
Speaker 1: Pulling up on the side road, honking.
Speaker 5: But it wasn't just all kind of stuff, no, nothing dangerous, but just crowded just like Okay, it's a scene here, like the movie was big, big, to where I now, I've made a scene in the neighborhood if I'm there, that's all.
Speaker 3: When did you realize you had to get about that motherfucker?
Speaker 5: Well, I always I never got out of it. I just knew that I had to. It's just the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not like that, but you know, you know you have to if you want to have a peace of mind, you got to make a move.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just understand as a time and a place like a certain times like Dippy and Dip. It ain't about just oh, I can't you over here. That's not what it is. It's just about picking and choosing how to do it. Like you just can't. I just can't go to the to the uh the liquor bank just cause I cause I think it's cool to do cause you just gotta.
Speaker 1: It's just different cause people will test you. People will test you. People will How.
Speaker 3: Often did you get tested you? Especially you playing the road that you was playing, you was you know, you was a hard body in the movie.
Speaker 5: I got tested a lot in the w L Let me just say a lot of people loved us, first of all, like the movie, like so as much as I got tested it was a billion millions of people that didn't test. They loved they was a fan of our work and all that kind of stuff. So when I did get tested, it was basically more about you look a little little in person.
Speaker 4: I mean you and you And then it's usually always uh from your own stepping grounds. You know, you get appreciated when you go up the places, not that you are uh uh intimidating to people, but just for the fa that people respect what you do as far as making records or acting or whatever. It's like it's something about growing up here and growing up in a neighborhood that could it's it's it's gonna ride you until niggas feel like you ain't a threat anymore to the Then it's like, oh man, that nigga, you know whatever.
Speaker 3: Oh that's tiring on you know whatever.
Speaker 4: But like you said, the motherfucker want to test you because first of all, you come from the land of where you know niggas is about that life of pulling the niggas card.
Speaker 3: You get me, so.
Speaker 4: It's always gonna be one you feel me like shit, oh nigga, this nigga was hard in the movie, or this nigga grew up on so and so and WHOOPI won't thing. I remember, I went to go with this shit and walked and that's where you get that.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, man.
Speaker 4: So so you you didn't have to do because you came from Cleveland.
Speaker 3: So you know what, though, Man, the biggest thing I get now is why you don't call I called you twenty times while you're not picking up the phone, and it's like, dude, you called me at two o'clock in the morning or some crazy time at five o'clock in the morning. No, I'm not answering my phone. But for the most part, it's more love. But this stuff I'm not go front. You always have certain people that know how to strike a nerve with you. Oh definitely, they just want to strike a nerve. You're like, why are you coming at me with that silly shit right now? You know what I mean. But for the most part, it's love. Like you said, so you're doing this man. That was one of those defining roads man, that where usually in Hollywood somebody get that type of part, you know, have that type of performance. They turn in that type of performance, they wind up just elevating.
Speaker 6: Yeah when they're white.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that's that's what I was gonna. Do you feel that us as black people, man, do you think Hollywood just kind of give us the short end of the stick all the time.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't.
Speaker 5: I would say we give ourselves a short end sometime a little bit. Well, we did a we did a great film, right, me A Lorenz and Jay We did a great film, right, Alan Hughes and Albert Hughes.
Speaker 1: They directed it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: The phone never rung again for none, none of that chemistry. Yeah, because you think, but.
Speaker 5: But but look at the look look at it like this, when you look at Ryan Coogler, that did Fruitville with Michael B.
Speaker 1: Jordan, Right, he did, then he.
Speaker 5: Did Creed, then he directed Creed, then he let Michael B. Jordan direct Creed, and then he did Black Panther.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: When you think of John Singleton, he tyresse baby boy, fast and furious.
Speaker 1: What's the what the the one did with Mark Wallburg?
Speaker 3: Mark Wallburg?
Speaker 1: But the brothers, Yeah, brothers, that's all John Singleton.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: So even with with Spike Lee, I think that with us and I'm nobody owes anybody, nothing, nobody, but what this man did for minutes with the with the with the with that song that I think this describe that movie better than any movie I've ever seen in my life. It was just hand in hand, right, you don't come back, and not that they owe anything, but like as a as as a filmmaker's you know, you don't come back.
Speaker 1: Oh let's run it back, Jordan running back with sometimes you can. It's okay to run.
Speaker 5: Things back, you know what I mean, but to not but to not to not run it back and to kind of like sometimes people want to cross over and they think that the crossing over mean are often to go do uh Benjamin but whatever, like a white film.
Speaker 4: But I tell all, I'm gonna do some some Tom Cruise, I'm gonna shoot Mission Impossible next or you know, and I get it. Their directorship, you know, following minutes took a different route, you get me. They was doing horror films and all kinds of shit, and it probably was a lot of requests from the streets and uh to follow up with something in that line. But like you said, once they felt like shit, we didn't. We done left the block, nigga. Now we done moved up to Hollywood Hills because we're not staying We're not staying on fifty first, no more, Nigga Now, were staying in motherfucking behind the gates down the street for motherfucking you know so now or it's I say the same thing about Nigga's record. Sometimes, you know, they come in hungry. You hear it, You hear the songs, depression, poverty, nigga. If I make it, you know, I'm a whatever, whatever, and then motherfuckers go, damn yeah, blow up, sell three four million records, next thing, you know, Nigga, I've been had, Nigga. I'm on my fucking five million dollar yacht. Nigga, we drinking fucking champagne out of the bitches, ass cracks and shit, and.
Speaker 3: Like what happened to that?
Speaker 4: You know, like sometimes you gotta not forget about what got you.
Speaker 3: And it's hard to keep it, man, Because I'm gonna tell you it's hard to keep it because it's a certain amount of pressure and stress to come with any amount of success. Oh, definitely, because you always and then it's one of them things. Let me ask you this, cause I'm pretty sure you went with this. People always think you got more than what you actually had. How did you deal with telling certain family members know what certain homies know. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I always gave what I had. It didn't like if I had one hundred dollar I could give.
Speaker 3: See I'm not talking about no money like that, because I think everybody do that. You know, you see the homie the only needs something. You look out for him.
Speaker 5: Let me let me, let me say something norm So, getting back to what A said, look at Mark scors I think he did edgy.
Speaker 1: Films as well.
Speaker 3: Mark.
Speaker 5: You say he didn't, but you guess what he did. You know what he understood about it. He's like, shit, I'm I'm going with the narrow. I'm gonna run it back with Pesci. I'm gonna run it back because he understood that that chemerastry, that dynamic when.
Speaker 6: You you can't teach chemistry, and when you have that kind of chemistry, you just don't let When when Dre and Snoop did the Chronic Guy, they knew, they knew that they had they knew that they had chemistry.
Speaker 1: So they're like, you know what we're gonna have to that's what this is.
Speaker 3: We're gonna We're gonna make this a franchise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna run this back. So I just feel like I just feel like people just ancient to cross over. It's kind of like that's like eight. That's like eight doing what he did, and then all of a sudden he uh doing a country album or something like that.
Speaker 1: It's just you can, you can.
Speaker 4: I was too afraid to lose my core fans. You get you get presented with chances to go over, you know, and do something different. Maybe it would have been beneficial more than what my career has been.
Speaker 3: Maybe not. I just never wanted to stray away from what got me there. I tell you this right now. I love Timberland, but I don't want to exactly, you know. I just I just I never wanted and then when I got faced.
Speaker 4: With ship like that, I just took the lower and said, fuck it, I'm good. I just didn't want to, I guess disappoint the motherfuckers who walk through the struggle with me through those records, and then I turn around and go, Okay, thank you, thanks, fuck y'all. I'm finna go grab this motherfucking money bag and I'm finna rap about you know, partying and santro peis with you know, butt naked bitches and we partying and drinking and throwing money y'all out there. I didn't want my core fans to be like, what the fuck like dude?
Speaker 3: You know, so.
Speaker 4: Some some people take that route because the money is more. You know, I want to be that image. You So now I'm gonna go from wearing khakis and driving in a six ' four to I'm pulling up in the Bugatti. Nigga would fur on my boots and shit and my pants pockets and ship and you know, I got on the sea through tank top and ship like that and in a big fur hat because that's what they call fashion now. So you know, some people tend to, you know, go astray.
Speaker 3: You know, it's evidently it's a certain formula. You feel like they didn't they were too busy, they were too concerned with crossing over and doing other things. Is there's nothing wrong with wanting to scale.
Speaker 1: Listen, I think that. I think they don't own nobody, nothing. You can do. What you want to do is theirs their life.
Speaker 5: But what I'm saying is a lot of times people say I don't owe or help, Well.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 5: For I don't, oh, I don't help you know if if if if eight got a podcast or longer a podcast, and I rock with y'all, like, what's wrong?
Speaker 1: What's helping is okay? Like I think we I think we're messed up with we thinking it's I don't.
Speaker 5: Own nobody or it's not that you own old boy, nothing like that, but it's you kind of well, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I will say, just and I agree with you. I feel like this, man, if I have the means of helping somebody that I call my homeboy, homegirl, family member, relative, if I have a means of helping them out, and they understand that they would have to dedicate a certain amount of time and work to it, I'm all in. Just don't expect me to do everything, but I'm definitely gonna help you. I feel like I'm obligated, right.
Speaker 5: So so look at it like this, Say we somewhere and we see somebody finish jumping Hughes brothers, Right, is it our obligation to help them?
Speaker 1: Motherfuckers?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But if I feel like, man, that's the right thing to do.
Speaker 5: Shit Like if I see a somewhere and it ain't looking good, I feel like it's the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: And now hold on, homemi nigga, we both goin to get beat up or whatever that is.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's the right thing to do. It don't have to beat you, don't all. There's nothing wrong with being that kind of person that help. And I think people will get caught up in like you know what, in their own in their own and own business, where Alan Albert, you know, it wouldn't have hurt to help, It wouldn't have you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's all. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And then you when you go through the white films, it's so many white directors that you I don't you don't even know who they are. That's why when you do a Minuce or a Boys in the Hood, you get noticed. Like John Singleton, we know you did that. It's noticeable of your how good your work is because it's for the culture. But when you do what all if Alan gonna do Jurrassic Park right now, nobody's gonna care because we've seen seven of them already.
Speaker 3: Yeah for real, why.
Speaker 1: Already seen them? E f Grade Grade did Fast and Furious. John Singley did Fast and Furious.
Speaker 5: We know John Single did for Boys in the Hood because it stood out because he told a story about what everybody in our culture can relate to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you see what is That's why I think snowfall orisonated with so many people, which was his last work. It was kind of back a return back to the to the roofs, were going back to the neighborhood, you know, and it was a success.
Speaker 4: That's always an intriguing story for people, true situations that that they get to probably glance across or heard about or whatever.
Speaker 3: And uh saw.
Speaker 4: Truthfulness and situations always intrigue people.
Speaker 3: I just think White America, man, it's still captivated to this day about our lifestyle, especially people in Middle America that don't you know, you figure somebody in I can't say Omaha, Nebraska is kind of hood. They got they they got their spots down there, but somewhere like Bismarck, North Dakota where they don't see a lot of black people. Those type of spots are enclaves, man, that have a tendency just kind of live in their own world. I think people are all always like intrigued with what we got going on in the community. So you work pretty consistently. I would say that because you always got something going on. It's a lot of movies. I'll be sitting and watching TV at night. Sometimes I'm like this, Tyron, I don't even know Tyron was in this ship. So you stay working.
Speaker 5: This is the thing when you do when you when you do some classic it's gonna always. It's like doing a classic album. You know you're gonna always. It's it's hard to it's hard to top those you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: No matter how.
Speaker 5: Dope you are, you can do a big like it's hard to It's just hard to top those things. You know what I'm saying, All the stuff eight has done. I'm throw straight up minute. Everybody always requests one of that's one of the one of the one of the top requests because like whoever God wrote that with him? That was that was that that that song. It's that's that movie song right there is like you know when when Ice Cube did How to Survive South Central, that was dope.
Speaker 1: But this motherfucker right here.
Speaker 4: We also had a song on the Boys in the Hood soundtrack too, We had growing Up in It that became a number one single when they had on a billboard rap chart. I just like I said, being influenced. You you feel me and it's not too difficult because I'm living this ship. You get me. U. I'm seeing the poverty, I'm seeing the gangs. I'm ship.
Speaker 3: I'm running with a gang. Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, straps and cracksacks and and and and hood rats in the neighborhood. And that was my life. You feel me.
Speaker 1: To tell those stories, it's genius and it's great. I can't.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna let you undermine the fact that you grew up in Yeah, you grew up in it.
Speaker 1: But to tell those stories and to and to get it, to.
Speaker 5: Get it across and for it to resonate like that, that's that's that's that's a It's a lot of niggas that can talk about getting shot this or that. What to have the you have to be gifted to make somebody like to articulate like.
Speaker 1: I'm at the liquor store with the.
Speaker 5: Strap the Japanese all that kind of like you have to like that ship is like that is entailed.
Speaker 1: Those are those are you.
Speaker 3: Know those little minute details you have?
Speaker 5: You have you have the minute details that niggas don't know how to explain in the hood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it was, like like you said, the details was because.
Speaker 3: I wake up every day and I come over here. I'm standing over here with.
Speaker 4: Niggas and we're selling crack together, and you know, old niggas is dying, and and you know, we go on the funerals and all that type of shit. You know, I got a mom at home who don't understand, but you know, because she's from a different time.
Speaker 3: Like what I'm saying, we.
Speaker 4: Struggled with with slaves shit and and racism and all that, and I don't understand with this gang shit like y'all driving around shooting at each other and and and and wearing bandanas. Like my folks didn't understand it. And especially because I was the only motherfucker doing it, you feel me. Everybody else in my relatives they were still down south, you get me. They were still in the Mississippis and the Texas and shit, and so, like, what the fuck is going on out in California?
Speaker 5: Hey, You and you and Pop were the only rappers to explain the relationship between the Jeff Jeff Panese and the blacks, Like you know what I mean, y'all the only ones with him with Natasha, but the relationship with how we felt when we were in those careers.
Speaker 4: With the way we stereotype we had and it's crazy, because it's crazy when you think about it, to think like.
Speaker 3: This, we grew up here.
Speaker 4: And but you know, all in all, the majority of the liquor stores were owned by Japanese people, and you know, they had just had the spot meets, they had the liquor stores and all that. But you know that that came from and we over here struggling like a motherfucker motherfucker's needing food stamps and county checks and ship like that and so and and for us to be you get me like, damn, we got it from from the white people and ship back in the days long time, and now to be both coming out because y'all came out of some fucked up shit too, yeah, wanting to be in our neighborhood and now we're getting the dirty looks like you feel.
Speaker 3: Well, from what I understand, all of that was set up systematically kind of right, definitely, because like you said, they went through their own shit too, right, They went through a lot of shit. America did them dirty. Exactly what they did was they would give them loans, but they would only let them come to the black community because rather divide, you understand what I mean. It's almost like some divide and conquer type shit, you know what I mean, right, because they got them scared from the moment they come over. You think about it, if you come to a country right where, you probably haven't seen very many of these people over here, but everything you hear about them is fucked up and bad. So now you put them in the community, and the truth of the matter is a lot of them people in them stories don't make a lot of money. You feel what I mean. They're being overhead. And I knew when I worked in the liquor business, a lot of those people lived in their stories. Man. What they would do. They would get a family come over. You will see a brother come over. He would get a liquor store and he would live in the back of that store. Right then once he built the store up, he's usually going to go buy another one right in the neighborhood. And then you would see his brother you coming there the next week. Who are you? Yeah, Japanese and Korean people, that's all because they ain't all.
Speaker 5: Japanese, but they used to give us like they used to give us credit.
Speaker 1: And I don't know about you, but they just didn't give you.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: They give you credit like in my neighborhood.
Speaker 3: You can oh yeah, I think that's nationwide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they make you could pay next week.
Speaker 5: So it seemed like they had they had front.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what the thing is, because we in this weird we in this weird situation kind of together. They're trying to survive in the store, right, and they know the average person that got any kinpe of success in the neighbor but he knows I'm gonna have to deal with m c A. Aaron when he come in here. I'm gonna have to deal with Tyr. And I know them and in many cases they've known you for many years. You feel what I'm saying. So Grandma, she taking care of the kids, right, she might be to go down there and get a couple of gallons of milk, some eggs and pancakes, you know, some pancake mixed some cereal or whatever on credit until you get that one check that gotta last through the whole month.
Speaker 1: And see when you in your neighborhood in my neighborhood. We end up getting cool with the jazz.
Speaker 5: It's just when you go to another neighbor like when you when you're outside and another time, and.
Speaker 3: I gotta correct you a little bit because you be seeing them old white people racist words. You didn't mean to dog, but everything is so sensitive now. The Japanese people, and some of them are Korean. Everybody in Japanese.
Speaker 5: Don't excuse me because I really don't know so that it's called instead of Japanese, is called Korean.
Speaker 3: No, No, Korean is Korean is one nationality. You got jap got people that are from Japan that are indigenous to Japan.
Speaker 1: Prejudice.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Japan is definitely prejudiced. There's definitely prejudice.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't even know that.
Speaker 3: What. No, man, everything is, everything is different. Now. That's why I'm telling you, I'll make it my business to be you know, I'm a media now, so I make it my business and I'm a you know, thank you clean that shit up harm you know. But Korean people are Korean people. They have their own proud, rich hair. It's Japanese people or Japanese. You know, you got Cambodian people, you know, you've got different nationalities. You got different nationalities. So man, you going through this hell of a run. Man you're working and everything back to you felt like the phone wouldn't ringing like it should be because you're an excellent actor.
Speaker 1: I felt like.
Speaker 5: I felt like after minutes they said, you know, they said, like you're going to be a star. So I just took it literally, I took it for face value, like, you know, if it was if it was another actor, like a white actor or whatever, it would have been. Could you imagine somebody having that kind of hit. So I just took it that way. But but it wasn't that way.
Speaker 3: You think you might have got type cast because you played that role so well. You think they just saw you as the black urban kid from the community. It was kind of like.
Speaker 4: Because look at all of I mean, Lorenz got rolls and they went back to the well with Lorenz with with dead presidents. So I don't know if that's because.
Speaker 3: I just they fell they did the brothers did do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did dead presidents. And then he wasn't type cast as old dogs.
Speaker 3: He had character in the movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he got he got romance rolls and army Vietnam rolls and you know so, but then they come back and they offer you always the hood roles or the or the dope dealer on the corner rolls. And it's crazy because those roles were reversed in minutes because Tyron was the one trying to make the decision if I'm gonna do with a wax and old dog and them is doing or I'm a dude with Grandma on them and the girl is saying that I should before.
Speaker 3: It's that's why I say he was Kendrick before Kendrick existed. You know, the good kid man sitting right and he is just like not really a gangster, but like not a gang member, but just a dude teetering.
Speaker 4: Right outside the eggs. You do a little bit here and there, but he's kind of flew up in the neighborhood. Most of your friends are affiliated. Now, you might have not been jumped in yet or claiming the hood, but you best believe you got about three or four or five niggas or homeboys that you went to elementary school with and whatever whatever. Then niggas is full fledged banion and they still considered your friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for real, and Tyring you never got married because woman was on your ass. Dog back then, we an't have women.
Speaker 4: Man said, we are trying to be niggas said, we all had women.
Speaker 1: Let me play, so let me, let me let me.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna tap into the type cast thing, like the type cast situation, right, I don't really care, Like I'm an actor, Like what if I had to play a game bringer a billion times, I'll put him a billion times a different billion ways.
Speaker 1: I don't really That's like.
Speaker 5: Saying if Tupac or is he typecast because all he could do, all he do is tell stories about what's going on in his hood or but that don't that that don't matter. I don't think if you look at Robert de Niro, it's about it's about you getting a role and you're doing it. Like even even even even in minutes, I wasn't. I wasn't always. If you look at minutes, I was vulnerable. I cried, I showed it more I didn't. I showed my range. I wasn't just had a gun in my And.
Speaker 3: Let's not get a twist. It ain't like you ain't working because you just had You just did some stuff for.
Speaker 5: Fox, right, Oh yeah, yeah, I got my television shows on Fox right now, executive producing on a on a TV show call Alert, you know, so that's behind the scenes. So no, it's not about me not working. We just we're just talking about we're just keeping it real right now.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, because you should be having more FaceTime on the camera. The first when I start hanging around Eight, the first thing I asked him because I said, man, you was doing some hell of her. Then I found out later on he really wasn't acting, you know, but you should have had more roles. And then it comes you know, eight should have had more roles. You should have been because I was expecting you to go to that like but that Leonardo DiCaprio level.
Speaker 1: Damn that but that But that that's life, man. Life is just real, Like it ain't. It's like life. Life is just life is just real, Like you know what I mean. So you just gotta you can't you can't.
Speaker 5: I'm healthy, we breathing, We still hear, like, you know, there's a lot of I'm just I'm fortunate.
Speaker 1: Even with Belly, I was supposed.
Speaker 5: To be the lead character, you know, but it was meant for dm X because DMX wasn't gonna be here that long, and God wanted that for him.
Speaker 1: That was his thing for him to have at that moment, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: You know, so you have to you just have to understand, like people like Michael Jackson he died at fifty, were still here, right, he probably would give anything just to have a subway sandwich. So I'm just happy that me and we're still here. Like, as long as we're here still, we still got opportunities. And we don't know why things happen the way they do.
Speaker 1: You just don't know.
Speaker 4: I look at it like, and this is something like I tell my son because and this is with with any profession, it's that it's that uh, that's saying you take the high road, I'll take the low road. Uh, And somebody gonna be there before the next person.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Never said you wasn't gonna get there, just said it was gonna take you longer because you taking the lower You feel me, So I try to tell that to my son, and I even tell it to myself. It's motherfuckers who can come in today, tomorrow, the overnight success. You've been doing this shit for fifteen years and you be like God damn, But then if you.
Speaker 3: Look up, you're still on that same road.
Speaker 4: You get me nothing, it's just been you even had a boulder in your path, or motherfucking your tire was flat, or motherfucker you had to get a new engine put in the car. But if you look up, you're still on the same road. It's not to the point to where it just ain't you get me? Oh, motherfucker, you might as well go junk this car or you're never gonna Nobody told you you get me. Nigga, I'm still rolling you get me, and it's not to where. Like I said, you donet hit them too many. Motherfucking nigga. If you you on that road, still you on that road. And as long as you still breathing and you still can work, you still going there. You feel me, You still going there. You might look up fifteen years from now, you just now pulling into that motherfucker spot like god damn, it took me long to get here. But so I tell that's why I tell my son, don't this.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: A nigga put out a record today and tomorrow he don sold ten million copies.
Speaker 3: It might take you ten years to sell ten copies that dude might not be around in two or three years.
Speaker 4: That's how it works sometimes. So I appreciate, appreciate the position and the opportunity.
Speaker 3: If you got it still, you get me.
Speaker 4: Ain't a motherfucker, ain't buried you underground and you got a headstone. Motherfucker, you're still here. So if you could come compete, compete, Nobody telling you you can't.
Speaker 3: You don't.
Speaker 4: Motherfuckers be with the age ship sometime or you this, or nigga, please, I still can motherfucking act circles around and nigganna rap around the motherfucker.
Speaker 3: If I needed to, you get me. So that's what I always say, and like and like Tyron said, Man, they ain't like motherfucker's on their death bed dogs.
Speaker 4: So it's like you just told you you're still in the car. You got a flatter to her, but you got a spur on the trunk the nigga. Let's roll roll up some motherfucker weed. Nigga, let's get back over the road, NIGGI.
Speaker 3: Man, he was clowning earlier when you first came in. Man, you've been making your rounds. Man, you're starting to beat man. One of the most sought after the Cats online for interviews.
Speaker 1: Man, I think, I think, I just I think people like my My My approach is kind of honest. Yeah, it's I'm messy. I just tell the truth the way that I see you say the truth.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you a question with women, man, and you don't have to say who if if you had one of them Hollywood's moments man, with one of them starlets. Man, you was fantasizing the bar before you got on and you had her in your bed, and he was like, damn, I'm about to knock this down. Have you ever had that moment?
Speaker 1: I've had fantasies about women, you know, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Talking about.
Speaker 4: If they always wanted to know some woman some sexual shit like he always want to know some sexual.
Speaker 3: Ship still get off.
Speaker 4: Hey, man, I think when I first came on the show, he was, hey, man, you know you did all that rapping and acting.
Speaker 3: You ain't never met one of them celebrities. You that celebrity. You ain't never had no celebrity. Don't tell you what I don't. You don't kiss and tell.
Speaker 5: You can't and tell man, you know, and I'm not really into like celebrity female. I like, I just like women like I I see a woman at the bus stop and putting and busting you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, that's a question. Do you find it easier having relationships with regular like women outside the entertainment industry?
Speaker 1: I just don't.
Speaker 5: Like I've always felt like I would like to date a woman that I could show her something more like if you if I was to day somebody like a.
Speaker 1: Like a celebrity, like what can what can you? What can make her smile? She already been seeing every everything.
Speaker 5: But if you take somebody that ain't never seen nothing, you'd be like, oh, we're gonna go to Hawaii or they were like, oh my god, it's it's like something, it's something.
Speaker 3: Yeah. People gotta be able to appreciate, you know, there's nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's nothing I could do to make Beyonce or someone somebody of that caliber appreciates them.
Speaker 3: What I'm what?
Speaker 1: What can I get a bunch of some buccie flip floppers up?
Speaker 3: Like it's like that's the thing she never got divorced the hard time.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like the saying, and what can I get a motherfucker who already got everything?
Speaker 3: You get me? That's real? So Okay, there we go.
Speaker 1: You like square women, yeah, I like I like colored I like square women. You know, I don't. I don't mind a woman not having something for itself. Like I'm not a trick or that. You know what I mean. Ain't that?
Speaker 5: You know a woman can have a job and and and and do something for a person. You know, I'm not driving out, but I'll do the same thing.
Speaker 1: But I'm not. I don't have to have no I don't. I'm not gonna. I don't have to be with no star woman like I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: That don't make me feel comfortable, like, oh, I'm with you know, somebody of that caliber, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, and I hear about a new fight that you don't have all the time. I'll be watching your interviews. Dog, I'll be laughing like a motherfucker. I saw some ship that says you beat up Casey and jokes you at the same time.
Speaker 1: I never, I never, I've never in my mind.
Speaker 3: I said some ship about you and Trey d Wrestling.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, trad we we was at Snoop House and we was a so hey, you know back in you know you go body, you slap box.
Speaker 3: You know that definitely.
Speaker 1: So at Snoop House, you know, you gotta you gotta do some things.
Speaker 5: But we all out there, you know, everybody slap boxing or whatever that whatever it is, it's all in fun. It's all ain't nobody it ain't nothing real about it. And so then uh me and Trady, you know, we just we got down on on some on some on some wrestle you know, playing you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It was, yeah you wrestled before, Yeah, like we see it ain't if you do that because I wrestled. So if you a dude that actually wrestled, man, it's not fair wrestling dude that ain't never wrestled before. You go get the vantage. You get to take advantage of them a little bit.
Speaker 5: It's all about balance and all that kind of stuff. But now trad D is like, you know, trad D is the homie like he real he you know, he ain't no ego. Like if you if you if you're strong, you're gonna tell you he tripping like that.
Speaker 3: Like I wonder what's up with these people in them titles? Man? Like this Internet is motherfuck.
Speaker 4: That's just because you just have to watch, you know, because like you, like I say every time. The main thing is content and it's not about truth or lie. It's just about getting the story out there and let people decipher their own decision. Dog, these motherfuckers is lying. Dog motherfuckers say. And that's like I said, that's what people do to develop content. I gotta get you to come to my site or my channel or my page. So I mean, like, there's not too many people who gonna go around like, oh you lie, I'm gonna sue you. You know, that's for the upper you know, motherfuckers who feel like they were to a regular nigga, nigga, that nigga liing, and it's not gonna do anything. It's not gonna affect me because it's a lie. And most of the time, if you let the ship die out and die out faster than its start, and when you keep adding fuel to the fucking.
Speaker 3: Fire, then you don't take it. You got to leave it alone.
Speaker 4: You're gonna take a campfire to a brush fire, nigga if you just keep adding fuel to it. So most of the time, if you just let that motherfucker die out, so it's gonna die itself out.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Man, So what's next for Tyran Turner, Man, what's next.
Speaker 5: Basically just I'm more on the creative side, man, trying to create my own, my own stuff, like my own TV show, put myself on my own stuff. You know what I mean, I don't necessarily I want to. I want to hustle in every aspect of it. I'll if some offers come, I'll do that. If I have to meet and take meetings for for for movies or television, whatever, I.
Speaker 1: Would do it.
Speaker 5: I'm just hustle all the way around the board. But my main focus is just creating myself.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, I know, we got some things that we go start working on, Like I told you, just a few books that I've recently acquired the rights to work with that and putting that situation together. Then we got a series I'm real excited about, man, that's gonna be starring MC eight. And then you know, I'm talking like real earlier about it, but I'm talking to some I mean, like, you know, you get to that second stage and where you talk about getting the funding for stuff and all that. So I'm real excited about that because it's gonna be able to put him in a different light but in the same light that people used to seeing them just another side of it. You feel what I mean, And I think that's gonna be dope. Manca's a lot of people don't know that you direct and everything too. Yeah. I love that.
Speaker 5: Yep, I understand what I want. I see the vision and I would you know, that's one of my one of the things I want to do.
Speaker 1: See. At first, when you get in the business, you're like, well, I just want to be an actor. Then you learned this shit, You're like, man, I'm a fucking filmmaker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've been around and never Yeah, the way you know at least what it's supposed to look like, and you work with the best. Let me ask you this, we in the day and the time, man, that where really when I see actors and actresses online that have had, you know, a certain amount of notoriety and success talk about, oh I'm not getting no parts, I'm like, you could go put your own movies out. I would if I had a certain level of infamy. If I was you know, I had a certain level of status and I was an actor actress, I wouldn't be tripping on nobody. And I give me I'm gonna produce my own stuff. You can go directly. You got sites like to be Amazon, Prime, Peacock, you have all these different opportunities and outlets. You can go do your own thing.
Speaker 5: Now, Okay, Well it's kind of like this, like it's easier said to done. Like some people are just used to the way things are. Like I'm like when people be telling me that stuff, I'll be like, I'm just used to the studio. I'm used to like you so familiar with it, Like nobody want to just lear I don't want to go straight to DVD or I don't want to go to to be like we're so used to just kind of like the system of how it's supposed.
Speaker 3: To that regular that regular machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, regular machine.
Speaker 4: A lot of stuff you have to you just have to jump out there and try this ship and then usually that's how SURE becomes successful when you take that chance. You know, if you don't want to take that chance, then you're probably gonna be sitting where you were sitting and begin with.
Speaker 3: Man, I gotta give a lot of love to the homies and Detroit, Michigan. Sorry to cut you off, Dennis Reed. The murder painct out there Detroit is not exactly Hollywood. They've created they thing. I was talking to one of the homie shots of The Twins Man, but they was telling me that Detroit looked like it was in the nineties. Now in the eighties, you know, Cats is really out there getting to it into their bag. Independent films have done so well in Detroit and his mass to change neighborhoods. You got brothers out there rejuvenating the whole block. Now they buying up all the old houses on the block. There used to be crack spots and they're rebuilding them. Stuff like that. Man, It's real dope, and it's a lot of opportunity out there. There's a lot of money out there, dog, And I think when you got people such as yourself with your pedigree, I think you could do very well in that space. Bro.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so too, Like I'm definitely gonna I'm definitely gonna take it.
Speaker 1: Take my crack at it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: It's like kind of like you you probably understand how to do independent music or whatever, but there was one point where you kind of knew what it was like my label.
Speaker 1: Taking taking care of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was you in that A lot of people were skeptical, but like I said, at one at one point you have to uh just take a chance. And uh that's what basically, you know, is how you continue your career or whatever, because at one point in time you're gonna get cut or fired or laid off, or we're gonna go in a different direction. And it's all business, you get me. You can't look at shit personal. So you gotta be you gotta be ready for the next chapter.
Speaker 3: That's all. That's all. If if you have the business mind and.
Speaker 4: Just the willingness and time, then you know, just got to put forth that effort and take that plungs, you know, do that bungee jump, you know, just take that chance, and then that's how shit pay off for you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Just my question that you ate. Do you have like do you actually have a favorite song that you recorded on?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I like everything I do, whether it's you know, whether it's the more popular shit for the people, or it's whether it's something personal. I just try to put pride in there whatever I write, you know, because it's for the people and people spending their money or the time to listen to it. So I try not to deliver no bullshit, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think, Man, going back to what you said earlier, I see this a lot. Man. Me being in management, certain guys that were used to being on labels and a label taking care of everything. Like they like going fresh frunt and everything is already taken care of. They don't have to call nobody, don't have to set nothing up. They like going to the studio. Everything is taking care of already. I think when you already used to every opportunity I've ever got, I kind of have to. It was all through my own dime. You feel what I'm saying. So I've always bettered on myself and been like, you know what, I'm gonna go do this. If it works, I'll reap the benefits. If it don't work, back to the drawing board to go do something else. Man, I'm finally glad to get you on here. Man, I'm glad we finally got you on here. Is you the hommy? I said, Man, I got tired of people hitting me up? Man, can you step me up with tiring? I said, I'm gonna need to get him on my show. Man, y'all have to wait now, for sure. I had to wait. Man.
Speaker 4: Now my son is in college right now playing football. Yeah, he's quarterback. So he's at home right now for spring break. I'm trying to get to the house right now.
Speaker 3: Quarter he he's uh six feet and he got wheels too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, threat quarterback. So he's a three star. He's been playing this game since he was five, so he's determined to make something out of it. But just the fact that he's able to go to college. He's at a D one f c S school, so.
Speaker 3: He loves it. So it is what it is. Dreams coming true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's all we try to do. Make it better for the kids and give him, you know, a different position. How many kids you got twins?
Speaker 3: Twins? See, Tyrant is a consummate Baxter Man. Yeah, yay. You ever see yourself getting married? I don't want to get married, right.
Speaker 4: That's a whole another interview though, Yeah, that's another that's another time they'll say your love connection. Hey, I want to tell you before we get up out of here, we have a new YouTube channel to Gainst the chronic Go to the YouTube channel of the Gainst the Chronicles man check.
Speaker 3: Us out, and we're gonna well. That concludes another episode of the Gainst the Chronicles podcast. Be sure to download the iHeart app and subscribe to The Gangst Chronicles podcast For Apple users, find a purple micae on the front of your screen, subscribe to the show, leave a comment and rating. Executive producers for The Gangst Chronicles podcasts of Norman Steel Aaron M. C a Tyler, Our visual media director is Brian Wyatt, and our audio editors tell It Hayes. The Gangster Chronicles is a production of iHeartMedia Network and the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app Apple Podcasts wherever you're listening to your podcasts