Speaker 1: Hi, Hello, welcome. This is Let's talk about MIT's baby, and I am your host Live here with more incredibly fun and weird and interesting content on just women, real women, mythological women, something kind of in between. Did I say my name already? I'm not listening back. I'm live the only person who ever starts talking in these episodes, and yet I introduce myself every time because you never know, you never know. Today I am here, oh my gosh, with a conversation episode with doctor Carla i Escu, who is the Artemis expert. Carl and I have been Internet friends for some time now and have been trying to make this work for so long, and then, like, honestly, one months ago, I was like, I want to have you on, but it's not going to air until March. And thankfully, actually we didn't record ahead of time, which sometimes is helpful because it makes things sound more relevant, like how in today's episode on Artemis, all things Artemis, but specifically Artemis in the real world. That's what I really wanted to emphasize today and what I wanted to pick Carlo's brain about. I wanted Artemis in the real world, how real women of ancient Greece worshiped Artemis. What that looked like? What we know and what we don't know? You know, how that interacted with the extremely patriarchal Athens. Because one of the main and most interesting and pull the best cult that we focus on when it comes to Artemist worship in this episode is this cult from Braweron, which is very close to Athens. It is in Attica. And so the women who were involved with worshiping Artemis at this cult like would have been Athenian and so would have been part of the incredible stricters that were put on Athenian women. And yet, and yet this cult of worship involved girls who were like coming close to marriageable age traveling to Braweron and behaving like bears. Behaving like bears, like a rite of passage kind of thing before you kind of give up your wildness for to be a woman at home, which is an enormous bummer. But we can focus on the behaving like bears part. There's a like twelve year old girls behaving like bears anyway we get into it. Oh, this was such a fun conversation. So many things Artemis and goddess worship broadly. We had such a great time, and Carla also has her own podcast and so much more to do with Artemis that is available. You can find links in the episode description and it is mentioned at the end of the episode as always, but honestly, it was such a joy. You will also hear a lot of inspiration for the episode from two weeks ago that I did on parthenogenesis in women and the Stingray. This, along with the other episodes that are coming this month and which have already been released, was heavily influential when it comes to that episode because I just started thinking about what came before. But tually, this episode is such a joy. So I will not keep rambling and I will just let you dive right into it with me and Carla and oh my god, Artemis. Maybe she's my new obsession. I don't know, like I needed another one, right, conversations better off with bears, Artemis and goddess worship with doctor Carla, I es I would love to hear mostly about like real people interacting with her, because like I can access all the you know, primary sources for the mythology itself, and I love her, but I know that she is just so ripe in terms of like the real life worship, Like I'm thinking of Broweron and the cult there and really like anything to do with you know, like how she was actually worshiped like daily.
Speaker 2: I would I would love so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, actually, I think that's a really great way of looking at her. I'm not sure that she's really been looked at in that way for a long long time. Like I think she's often dismissed. I mean that's one of my pet peeves, that she's often dismissed. Maiden Huntress, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I love the version virgin, love it, this Virgin Huntress.
Speaker 3: And I think when I started my PhD, I was both excited and also a little bit like shocked that she was ignored so much for so long among classicists, you know, there's a standard sort of plays and things like that. But as I dug deeper and deeper, I was like, wait, this countess like fears, She's she's magnificent, she's massive, she's all these words, you know, And I think what I realized is that she is actually a goddess that pertains to women so deeply that early scholars didn't really find much interest in her.
Speaker 1: So you know, we have sur Sorry, I'm just like oh really, I.
Speaker 3: Mean it's shocked, like, you know, so we have a Theena for warn and it's like oh, and then we have Aphrodity for love and sex and it's like ooh right, and all these other goddesses and then Artsmis is like, oh, yeah, like she hunts, I think.
Speaker 1: And she's a virgin, so we care a little less.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't know that they didn't know really where to put her. And when I started digging and digging, I thought, oh wow, she was really the people's goddess. And so I have this now almost like a life passion, a life journey. This, you know, she's become my life pretty much. And everywhere I go she tends to show up and be like, hey, don't forget to tell this story. And so I find her fascinating and yes, so now and so that led to like me trying to open this Artsmith center. And then so in the beginning, I'm like, okay, I'm opening the Artsmith Center. We're going to do courses on the goddess.
Speaker 1: Hey wait, I didn't know about this. I know you as the Artemis expert, but I did not know beyond that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, So I wanted to build a place what's virtual now. I wanted to build a place where women can come without doing like a plastics degree or a PhD, just come and learn about the goddess, several goddesses, but Artimiths of course being central. And so that was sort of the first call. And I started that a couple of years ago online and now we're doing workshops and courses and things like that. But now more and more lately it feels like something tangible for her needs to be done. And so I'm leaving for Creed in April, and I think I'm going to build an actual temple to her live like. I think I'm going to do it like the old ways and literally build a brick and mortar space. I have like this vision of it, and bears have been plaguing me, and so it's my goal. It's my long term goal. But there's something about it, and it's not just me, like there's something in the air. There's something phenomenon of like women coming forward and saying, oh my god, Artnis. I've always connected with her or artist, I want to learn more about her. This is the right time for her to come and so so it's not just me in a sense of like I'm not just out here, although I felt like it was just me for a long time, you know, in the the isolation of academium. But now it seems that people are thirsty for this.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean people are thirsty for goddesses, like absolutely. You know, if I've learned anything by stumbling into this career, it's that people really like to learn about Greek mythology, but particularly goddesses. Like I mean, I've spent the last ten year or not ten got close though, almost seven years, like talking about you know, women in the ancient world and Greek goddesses so specifically, and like it just keeps being proven that people want to hear that because like what you're saying earlier about you know, how she'd been kind of looked over in favor of the other goddesses. Like I just think it's so interesting to look at the goddesses that do have like a law lot of representation in terms of like classic scholarship in the last Yeah, like you said, you know, like like earlier when it was all the dudes right like because like okay, they like aprodiity ooh, big surprise, Like the men, like the sexy one who's like known for me being beautiful, but then also Athena, and like Athena's to me tracks so directly to the ancient world, Like the men loved her then too, and she was like very much the man's goddess, the hero's goddess, Like you know, they gave her all of these masculine qualities and like obviously you know there's nothing wrong with that, but then when you see the way it tied to her importance compared to others, like it's a bummer. And I think about like Artemis in particularly, well, it's actually funny. I hopping onto this call. I'd stopped finishing edits on a conversation that's going to drop on Friday actually with an author about a new novel about Demeter, because Demeter is another really good example of these god that have been kind of overlooked or in the course. In the case of Demeter, you know, it's just all about how she was like sad looking for her daughter, like she doesn't have a lot of like strength, and same with Artemis bizarrely, even though she's like iconically a strong and important goddess, right, but yeah, it was like lady problems, like keep her over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think that for so long she was associated with she became associated with childbirth and marriage and things like that, which she was. And I don't there's no there's no shame in that, so to speak, you know what I mean. But it I think it lacked interest for a lot of early classicists. And I think what it lacked or is their ability to understand the power of that, yeah, you know, right, like the building of community among women around let's say, birthing, Like you don't have the birth to be in the community of birthing, and you don't have to birth the child to be in the community of raising children. Like, so this is a foundational goddess, you know, a goddess who's like literally on the pulse of society. And yet I think early certainly early authors were like, yeah, she's hunting in the woods, you know, with her deer and this whole sort of community, didn't, I say, a kind of hidden matriarchy or that's not the right terminology, but a hidden you know, a support group for women, a time just for women surrounding you know, whatever their experience was in the world was sort of dismissed, and I think that that was their mistake, because this is actually a very powerful aspect of both Athenian culture, who very much was centered around birthing citizens, right, but like just human culture, who you know, requires at least this, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love when these like I recorded a conversation with someone a couple of days ago, and I just love when they they all completely end up aligning, like in these ways that I never kind of see coming because we talked about women as vessels in the ancient world and like so much like lots it to do with that, but that yeah, it reminds me of that too, just even the way you said, like, well, Thethenians were concerned with birthing citizens, Like, yeah, they weren't as concerned with you know, women, or that's maybe putting it kindly even, but they were certainly concerned with citizens. And one thing that I don't think about enough but came up the other day is like they were so concerned with with paternity, which is so interesting too, and like looking at those fears, I don't think necessarily aligns with artemists directly, but like now I kind of can't stop thinking about that. That like fear of paternity and how it how it shows itself in mythology, you know, like because you can just be like, well, I'm not sure that the kid is mine, but maybe it's zeus Is if it's not, you know, and that wouldn't be so bad.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, So this is what I mean. I mean, this is something that was central to their lives, and there's there's one godess that's in charge of that, or certainly home life and women's lives and making sure that women transit or transform from wild girls to marriage of women. You know. So these key factors and let's say in Athenian women's life, but many other Greek women's life as well, and yet for so long she's sort of disregarded. Now, for me, I tend not to lean too much on that patriarchal structure. Sometimes I'm like, yeah, okay, they gave up their wildness to Artsmis, and I feel like that's a later adaptation.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: I think the connection between bears now, I don't know. I've been reading this fantastic book called The Woman Who Married the Bear, and it's really great. It's about mythology in Europe and in North America indigenous culture in which women literally married bears and they became the wives of bears.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. And I also just have to so I now, all I can think of is there was this book in the eighties called Bear and I think it's like Marianne Engel something like that. Yes, and it's basically about that and was like pretty controversial because I'm pretty sure she almost doesn't I don't know anyway, there's a law going on with the woman romancing a bear, and so that's that's really all in that moment. But yeah, like I mean, I guess there's there's more there than I would have ever kind of put together separately.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, lived there is so much. There is so much ow Like there's literal for example, an indigenous North American culture. There's a scholar named Barbara Man. She's really fantastic and she's part of the indigenous culture and she she does a lot of writing on bears. And one of the things she talks about is this cave deitya of the cave and that women in the fifteen thousand years ago. I mean, we're talking about a long, long time ago. Ten fifteen thousand years ago, we go into the caves, and people actually in entire communities, we go into the caves and live with the bears, like in a common relationship, not an intimate sexual relationship relationship. But she says in the mythology there's overlap there, like women would give birth to bear cubs or half bear half like there's lots of mythology, and she goes over lots of mythology, and then there's another scholar that talks about similar things in the Sami culture in Northern Europe and the finn culture and all that, and again we see a ton of bears mating with women, marrying women, protecting women. This idea that bears go into the cave to hibernate a sort of study of going into the womb, the cosmic womb, and that they stay in there for like the whole winter, which is kind of like you know, the pregnancy process, and that when they come out they have cubs. So there's this kind of birthing cosmological idea, right, And this is probably I would say, the essence of Artemis the bear in Braan, because Greeks used to also have lots of bears I mean there used to be lots of bears in Greek, you know, five thousand years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm already thinking of Calisto and in Atalanta, right like they also have these kind of bear origin stories.
Speaker 3: Yes, and so the more I read about the bears, the more I'm fascinating. Now. Glutas of course did a lot of work in with artifacts where she found a lot of artifacts that were half like head of bear, body of women or like this combination of a bear mother and that. And so you know, the word bear, for example, in Germanic culture means to burst or bear to carry.
Speaker 2: Well, but I guess it doesn't.
Speaker 1: I mean English, I mean it means the same too interesting kind of right, like to carry, but you bear a child yet it's the same spelling.
Speaker 3: Yes, or we're like oh you bear down, yeah child.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so so the first time I went to Bern, which was like in two thousand and six, there was no one there. There was no one there, and it was very hard to get any information. They had a little museum to it. It was very hard to get information, particularly local information around that area. And so I knew the usual stuff, you know, there were rituals done here there's a connection to bears that I could never put my finger on. I was like, I don't understand. I know Artemis is connected to deer, I don't understand which this connection to bear comes from, right, And no one was really talking about this, this whole bear Well, maybe marrying bears was not really something acceptable at the time, you.
Speaker 1: Know, valid, fine, And so they were talking about these these these.
Speaker 3: Playing bears and young girls playing bears, and I thought, that's a random thing to do. Why bears? Why not goats, right, I mean, goats are quite stubborn. I love goats, right, And so so the first time it was a little bit hard to First of all, nobody knew where the site was. It was chaos. I walked for miles and miles in the heat. Anyways, I finally got there and they were really they were trying their best to help, but they didn't have as much of a rid. So then I started digging on my own and things like that. The second time I went, there was more willingness to like have a discussion with locals, and so I met a couple of locals that were talking about how this place, that vern was a place of birthing which probably is not surprising, but women would come there and they did ritual, secret rituals which we do not have written down around birthing, and I thought, okay, and then one of the locals was saying to me, you know, it used to have forty columns. There used to be forty columns around the site, one for each week of pregnancy. I was like, okay, that's really fascinating. Yeah, And so there's a lot of mystery around what exactly they did around birthing or even around the menstruation or miners or whatever. And so the idea was that there's power in this bleeding time, in this liminal time, and that the priestesses at Barn and particular Defiginia, we're not writing down or not sharing women's secret rights, which is common across right, like Demeter at rosephoniet Eleusis and other kind of stuff. Yeah, but at Baron, I think because it was seen as a birthing space, it didn't really get enough attention. And so then it leaves us now to take a look at it and go, what was going on here? What is this thing that they that young women shed at Barn and become bears and play wild things before they are sort of restricted or constricted into marriage.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Which breaks our hearts a little bit because Artemis of the wild becomes almost Artemis of restriction. Yeah. And we're told that, you know, the Arctoi that the young she bears leave their robes for Artemis, leave their toys for arts miss. So there, and I think that's very much, of course, a patriarchal development. Perhaps in order for women to continue their secret rights, they had to blend into yeah right, make them political.
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 1: I mean I think about that kind of stuff so often when when it comes to these things about women in the ancient world, because obviously, like you know, archaeological evidence is going to be something else, but in terms of written sources, like it's just so through the eyes and thoughts of men that we just have no idea what could have really been happening there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's interesting for that specifically because it's not a mystery cult, right, like a you know, quote unquote official mystery cult, Like it's more of just like it was just a cult of worship, right, yes, yeah, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, and they have that for every four year procession from Ran to Athens. So there is a little temple on the Acropolis to Artemis Baronia, and I've been to the Acropolis I don't know how many times, and I always miss it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say i've been.
Speaker 2: I can't. I don't even want to try to count how many.
Speaker 1: Times, how many forty euros I spent going up there, right, wow, And.
Speaker 3: I always miss it, and I haven't been up there in a few years. But but now I'm going back to Greece the summer and I'm going to go and see where this spot is because from what I've spoke to others who have been up there, they're like, I don't know, I don't think it's labeled.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's it. I don't think it's labeled.
Speaker 3: So I think I'm going to do a whole video.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: I would like to see that I was there in January, and I granted I was not, like I've been up there so many times that I don't I just kind of like go to just kind of make sure that I'm there. But yeah, now, I mean I'm very curious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I thought that was kind of interesting. And I've seen in other museums, you know, where they have the replicas of the Acropolis, and every single time I've seen them, I very rarely see the little spot for artiments of Baronia. Yeah, so's it's almost you know, And so I think that that's part of my mission too, is like to raise awareness at the fact that they did this. So, I mean, if you've ever been to Ravona or Roan it's they say, oh, it's just outside of Athens, but if you were walking it, it would take your whole day, if not longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, So if you have a procession of for four years that starts in Boronia, which actually just outside of Roonia, there's a town called Artemis, which is so cool, right, I recommend that everyone goes to beach town, go have fun.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, is it is Baron on the coast? Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I try to think that's such a big area and it's so mountainous too, Like yes, I think we often forget we talk about like yeah, like these processions or even like Eleusis and stuff. I mean I think that's definitely like flatter because it's mostly on that like lower coastline. I mean, obviously it would have been different back then anyway. But but like all of Attica is pretty fucking mountainous, so like that takes a lot to do this procession.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have this massive procession of Athenians and like all the Greeks who wanted to participate, from Burran to you know, the acrops are climbing up to the acropolism. And so to me that seems like something that was significant and that really played a key role in the identity of Athenian women, or of young women, or all of the women that were able to participate. It's unclear who was really able to participate. We know for sure obviously citizens were non citizens. It's a little bit unclear, right, And that's I think the problem for a lot of women's history is that we don't have the data because.
Speaker 1: No one cared until now, and now world is lost.
Speaker 3: I just I think, you know, a party, me thinks that. Okay, So I have this group this we're doing this workshop called the Goddess Migration. So we've been talking about the migrating goddesses and one of my students was said something that was really fascinating, and she said, what if they had what if the women who were participating for generations in these rituals. Let's say, had assumed that we two thousand years later would know from the artifacts and from what they left us what to do. But yet no one could predict that we would be so knocked off kilter by patriarchy that we as women today have almost no connection back. Like we're now trying to reach back and figure out what happened. And I thought, yeah, maybe they took it for granted that the stories would be passed down, yeah, unbroken. Yeah, right, and that we would know what I don't know, this river positioned over here and forty columns and this kind of stuff means. And now we're kind of looking back and going, we lost a little bit of that, right, We were disconnected, and we have his men's interpretation of what was going on. They weren't even there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean Aristophanes is writing about it and he doesn't know what the hell he's talking. You know.
Speaker 1: It's also that guy that is just sometimes yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: So anyways, it's been I think it's the time. It's the time to start uncovering and start reaching back. Yeah, how accurate can we get to the rituals that were performed there, I'm not sure. Yeah, among Greek women today, they also are hesitant to share because the Greek Orthodox Church has still such influence.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I was going to say, like, and this is less about you know, Greek Orthodox more so about like, you know, the just sort of the Western world broadly. But the combination of the patriarchy and Christianity like really just meant that we'd lose everything, right, Like, yes, you know, they lived in the patriarchy then, so they would have at least had some kind of like but yeah, like this hope though that it would have been passed on anyway, but at least they had this like grounding in what it meant to live in this patriarchal world, especially in Athens. But what they Nobody could have predicted the damage that Christianity did to anything pagan, let alone anything featuring women so prominently. Like I mean, it's just like, I mean, I'm not a fan of Christianity broadly, but I still think it can't be overstated, like just how much they fucked up. Yeah, yeah, like because women, they would have expected these stories to be passed down, Like I think about that so much in terms of like just what we don't know, you know, like we have all of these myths and they say all of these these things that so objectively like you just look at them sometimes and you're like, there's just no way in hell that the women believed this, you know, like like what did they believe?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: You know, when when they were packing all these Athenian women into the home and not letting them do anything else, Like what did they talk to each other about?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Like what stories did they tell their daughters only? And like uh, just yeah, I mean I want to know so about I think about it all the time when it comes to like the Cycladic figurines, like just the I mean I feel like now there's like I don't even know if it's gotten worse or just how I learned it. But like when I was doing my BA I mean like fifteen years ago, like I just remember that the they were so openly called like goddess figurines, like and it was I was certainly taught in that time, like in an archaeology course that that you know, it was it was pretty well assumed that this suggested that you know, before you know, pre Bronze Age, like there was a matriarchal world, like this goddess worship worshiping world, and it makes so much sense when you think about like the explicit, explicit myths subjugating Gaya and every other woman, Like you can you can read where they were trying to stamp that out after the had taken power kind of you know, yes, but now I feel like I've seen them and it's just like, well, you know, they might not be boobs, they might not be women figurines. Like I just feel like I'm seeing like more alternative now than even what I learned a while ago, which is just sort of surprising because usually things seem to be getting better. But I still like to work off this idea that like, yeah, like I mean that whole of the region very likely worshiped a goddess just before they were writing things down for us to learn about, you know, But it seems so obvious to me that that's how it started, that all of most of human history would have started that way before they started to try to kill each other and then realized that they could get an advantage over women through that.
Speaker 3: Like, yes, there's this concept that tree the last ice age, the only bleeding that humans did was menstrua bly wow, that it was sort of this pastoral not pastoral, sorry, because it's tribal nomadic, but it's this idea that they didn't even hunt to kill, that they didn't even try to keep because there was so much food available. And then there's this idea that post the last Ice Age, the bleeding became like masculine bleeding. There's also been this old idea that men feel the need to bleed in order to connect to the divine, because women naturally bleed to connect to the divine. And so I think people kind of sometimes throw that under the rug as like whatever, you know, it's just natural, you know biology. But it's not about biology. Actually, it's just about power, yeah, and sort of magic, like they say, you know what I mean, the ability to use whatever you have to connect to this higher power, and this higher power being more feminine. I mean, people say, well, is God gendered? Well no, okay, the divine may not be gendered, but a sacred feminine and is still important to the development of you know, nature, yeah, just humans, right, And so trying to say, well, God is non gender, that's fine, but what about this idea of the sacred feminine that protects and nurtures and feeds us, and that ties into environmental issues and women's and everybody's issues right to live sort of freely, and you know, as part of a community. And so I think Artemis was, I would argue, one of the few goddesses whose sole purpose was to protect and watch over this aspect of existence, the natural. Yes, there's a couple others with the wildness and you know, Demitter and Persephone, and there's a couple of others in that way, but she as being in the mountains and in the wild and in the all the animals and then into the birthing. Like, I think that she plays a really a role with action. She takes action in a lot of these things, and she's the only one that actually does not technically is not a mother. This never gets married. I mean they give her a Paulo later on, blah blah, right, because they had to give her something. But it's fascinating to me that they didn't marry her off like they did almost everyone else.
Speaker 2: No, that's true.
Speaker 1: I mean it always is funny to me, the apollo of it all, because he's just it's very funny because I realize I have an email after to respond to about how I need to talk about Apollo publicly, but Apollo is just really such a little shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like have a whole episode called my Apaula sucks.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, and it's got a lot of heat.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, Oh, how can you like art to miss and against Apollo? And I'm like, I'm perfectly comfortable.
Speaker 1: Actually, uh huh, No, Apollo is the only god that I have ever well maybe Zeus. Definitely Apollo and Zeus where I have actually had like angry uh like modern practicers of Hellenism like which is like fine, like worship the gods, do whatever you need to do, but like, don't come tell me that Apolo is gonna come. And I've had people threaten, yes, divine assault on me, like shit talked to zuson Apolo and I'm like, okay, you know what, maybe just go look at the sources and then tell me if I'm wrong, yes, yes, I'm not exactly yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But this link to Artemis is so interesting because he's so insufferable, because he does so many bad things, because it does feel like it is making them Twins is like this way to make her less powerful. They also like they give him more things to be got of, and then of course later we get you know, when when he gets conflated with the sun, and then and then you have like he basically becomes like you know, this all powerful sun god in addition to everything else. Like, yeah, it does feel like like it is a way to make Artemis less.
Speaker 3: Yes, And then the Romans, of course, who keep him as is and then change Artemis to Diana. Yeah, oh, the goddess of the moon or whatever, and you're like, well, hold on a second. This goddess has so much power, and so they slowly do try to diminish her in speaking about artifacts and the word goddess, I am finding I did a whole thing on I went to this exhibit in Chicago. So part of my work is trying to find Artemis everywhere. So lately I found her in the Balkans with the Thracians, you know, not surprising. She's up in the wilderness, so there was.
Speaker 2: She would align with three. Of course that that feels totally good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so Artemis bendis, you know, has sort of been something and writing about. And so I went to the exhibit in Chicago called What is it called something like the Kings of the first Kings of Europe? And I'm I'm Romanian, So I was born up in the Carpathian Mountains, and so I thought, oh my god, Eastern European, it's going to be so cool. I'm gonna go see a blah lah. I go into the exhibit and the word goddess has been taking out of every representation. In fact, the very first thing you see is a circle of statues, got it like half bird, half women. You can see it's a bird face and women. And in the description it says this is a group of women sitting around in a circle. And I lost my shit, Like I lost it. So I did a whole episode with pictures with anyway, I did a whole thing because I was like, what this is clearly bird goddesses. Clearly their faces are birds.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, you can't go if they are half animal, you can't just go calling them women, like well that's how that works anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these all represent the women in the village. What how do you know? These are like premiolithic pieces of any writing? So what, Yes, I do think there is a backlash, certainly there was one against Gimbuddhas as we all know for a long.
Speaker 4: Timehas Maria Gimbutas. Yeah, she Maria Gmbutas is this very famous Lithuanian archaeologist who did I mean she spoke eight languages, I don't know, she had three PhDs.
Speaker 3: She was super super fastricle, yeah, and she wrote on artifacts. So she's an archaeologist by trade, and she was allowed to go like in the back of museums and find all these statues. And basically she's saying, in short, there was a goddess culture. There's thousands and thousands and thousands of artifacts, some that are shown, some that are just thrown in the back of museums. And this is all about sort of matriarchy slash, I don't know, matrefocal, whatever word you want to stick in there, but it was female center. Anyways, as an academic, she got bashed in her time, she got bashed, bash bashed, but a lot of like first wave feminists, second wave feminists did take up her work and used it when they were, you know, working on other women's rights issues and other issues. And then she kind of disappeared for a while. And now I think there starts to be well, I don't know if everyone would agree with about her disappearing, But when I was doing my PhD, for example, I wanted to use a couple of her books because she does excellent artifact work, drawings, excellent. Wow, so like the science of archaeology she does amazing. Yeah, and my own A couple of my supervisors, both of them females, both of them women, were like, now you can't use her work, like that's god is stuff. We don't want to do God is stuff. And this is what I got my PhD in twenty sixteen, so let's say. Yeah, And so I had to cut. I still got to keep one of her books, but I had to cut a lot of scholars that were using the sort of goddess aspect out of my work because then it looked like it was incredible enough.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And so I really So when I finish my PhD, like my mother says, you know, once they give it to you, they can't take it from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was able to like talk more freely about these connections. I mean, artifacts are artifacts, and none of us really have any like we have a methodology of how to identify them, but I can say one hundred.
Speaker 1: No, it's literally impossible, right, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so what I'm seeing now all over our museums lately in the labels is that they take the word goddess out. They even sometimes take the gendered word out. They'll just be like ceramic figurine, I don't know, thirty seven hundred BCE. And you're like, and I'm okay with that to some degree, Like, you know, there has to be a balance between maybe leaning too much in one way. But I'm starry to see it as an erasure. And I'm thinking about young women who go to the museum who maybe know nothing about it, you know anything, they're just young people going or young people actually, and they don't use the terminology goddess, you know, And how does that affect, you know, the future for us, for all of us? Yeah, you don't write like it is kind of problematic, And I don't really know exactly how to fight against that or defend against that other than just talking about it as we are now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and that's something though. The volume of people that are now talking about that kind of stuff, like at the very least, that's you know, it's encouraging, and I find it so encouraging, like because like again, like that this entire the fact that my podcast has become what it has when all I do is focus on the women and how shitty men were, like blows my mind all the time. Like really, I can confirm that hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people want to hear this, and like that's really cool at least, like people want to know it, so just like you know, giving it to them I think is so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, I agree, And I think it helps us to imagine like a space and probably that's why I feel so driven to create a space where women. I mean, we think about women in the patriarchy and the Greco Roman times, and yes they were very much subjugated, but they also had these massive rituals just for themselves and these masks, and like I think about it today, like where would I go today to celebrate artmis or a goddess? Where would I go today where it would be only in celebration of this divinity? Because like, where do we have these spaces and like regular you know, monthly or yearly celebrations where we would gather, where we would drink, where we would dance, where we would play, you know, whatever music, We would have orgiastic rites whatever that means, you know, because there's lots of fantasy. Or when you say or what do you mean? And I think what they're asking, were they having sex?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No? And I'm like, well, I mean they could have, because I don't think Greek men would have cared if women were having sex with one another.
Speaker 1: That is what I say far too often. At this point, I feel like I'm becoming a broken record. But I have this like whole little fantasy world in my head where every time the men were like you can't go out, you just have to hang around with your friends, the women were like, you know what, that's fine, Like my friends make me feel a lot better than you do. So like, because I really do think that they not only like I think that they wouldn't have seen it as sex because they were just so obsessed with like who penetrated whom? Yes, you know, especially in Athens and especially with the whole erastes ramanos with themselves, Like they just wouldn't have seen it as sex. They would be like, I don't know, my wife's like having a nice time with her friend. Like I just think that's so joyful to be like, well, they were probably very sad at the very least.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I agree. I mean that's the way I see it too. That's the way I see even the you know, the main ads and all of any time that people say wild women in the forest, I think, yeah, they were probably drinking, dancing, you know, chilling, doing whatever they wanted. And other than I think the men seeing that freedom as dangerous as far as thinking, right, like women gathering, women thinking, women talking to each other about.
Speaker 1: Women getting drunk, right yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, but women talking to each other about like what is your husband doing and what is your like? Right like men have always, I guess felt in some way that that women are sharp or quicker, smarter and more cunning. Like there's all these words that are associated. And I think every time you see women gathering, even during the witch hunts of Europe, every time you see women gathering, women independence, women talking, uh, there's the authorities start to be suspicious of like what are are they doing? And it's really about power, yeah, you know, and is there a revelue? You know, there's that fear of the I guess the colonizer or the dominator, who is like oh, the people that we subjugate, maybe gathering to speak against us in some.
Speaker 2: Way or prepare yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, for all I know, the women were just chilling, who knows, like just having a great time. Yeah, but I think not knowing caused that.
Speaker 2: Kind of threat, right, yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Then you're right drinking, partying, being naked in the wilderness, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, And I think it's not a coincidence that the only god deeply associated with that stuff is also the most gender fluid god in Dionysus, right, Like Dionysus is the least masculine god. That's what makes him so interesting is that he was very happy to dress up like the women and participate in all of these things. And it wasn't about him being like the man in the situation, like he was just part of it. He is the divine one, but it wasn't about a divine masculinity. It was just about that he was divine. And I think, yeah, like, I mean, I I there's you know, obviously, like there's only little bits of like gender fluidity, and like there are definitely trans stories in the ancient world, but I love all of those. And just like how you can see them tying in to the patriarchal norms and how like, I mean, some are threats and some are not. And it very much depends, I think, on the where the masculinity is coming in to that fluidity. But like, yeah, I mean, I just I love that Dionysus is part of it, and then he's very much like he's not part of it as a man, he's part of it as just Dionysus, you know, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: And I think Artemis is part of that threat because she always has an entourage of women, so they are all living in the wilderness, just hanging out with women and nature and animals, a cute bunnies and cute deer being virgins.
Speaker 2: That's an air quote.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know that she very open to her having intimate relationships with her closest. I mean, if you think about it with Callisto, in order for Zeus to seduce her, Zeus has to transform into Artemis. So to me, that has always been like, well, if you have to transform into Artemist to seduce Callisto, that means that Callisto is not surprised at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it means that her and.
Speaker 3: Artemist are getting it on on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yet like that's so not part of the story.
Speaker 2: Detail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly. And then you know, the focus is of course on Artemist is jealous, wrath and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Because women are angry and jealous.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, they do, that's right. But I think about her and I think, wow, she was living like her best life, because I wouldn't mind to live in the forest with a bunch of women when.
Speaker 1: The alternative is being a woman in Athens, like, yeah, no, I am down, like take me to the forest part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And then if a dude sneaks up on you, like Acteon, then you know, she just she is also actually a goddess that is quite unapologetic, yeah right, and so she's swift. I mean most a lot of the goddesses are quite sip swift with their vengeance, but she, yeah, she's totally unapologetic, and she just well, of course she tortures for Acteon to death and punishes him for his transgression. But that's also I think about consent, right, like, yeah, you're here without consent, and so you're going to so in a way, I don't know, Like sometimes I think there's this sort of there's a bit of a paradox about what women must have felt like living in obviously patriarchy, but having these spaces that were for them as safe spaces away from you know, patriarchal politics. And Verron is definitely one of these places. Yeah, and they came as children, so you have that from when you're very young women. Yeah, right, you must have come with your mother, you must have come with your sister. For the rights, you must have come, right, So there's this long commune. And then as you're older and you're now let's say a wife and mother, you come back and you come back, And so I think maybe that's why I like to come back, and I like to go every time I go to Greece, I go to Buran and just kind of sit there, especially if it's like a nice fall winter day when no one's there, and just kind of sit there and imagine what it would have been like when it's like just full of women and cooking and incense and whatever else you know, was going on. Yeah, it's pretty powerful.
Speaker 6: And then I think, where do we have that in a modern day period. I don't actually have a place like that. Yeah, in modernity, I feel like it's all of those things. Women often make it for ourselves though, you know, like I mean just even just like getting together as a bunch of girls, Like I feel like that's so common in my life, and it kind of feels like its own way of of like kind of making up for that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think I think those are the only spaces where we where they're sort of social gatherings. I don't know if they have religious I mean, I've been part of different groups, like every now and then, different groups will invite me to talk about Artemis, different like goddess groups or Wicked groups or whatever groups, And I really like those kinds of gatherings, But there they feel a little bit few and far between compared to the regularity that was available in the ancient world and pre Greek world even more so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, maybe.
Speaker 3: We're getting I mean, I don't know. Now there's more and more so called pagan temples that are going up. The Greeks have finally allowed Pagans now to be considered a real religion. They just posted something this year or last at the end of last year where they were like Paganism is now acknowledged as a real religion in Greece, and so a lot of the people that are practicing paid in traditions in Greece are now coming forward more and more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, maybe we will see a revival of those kinds of spaces, not just for women, but for everyone who wants to for the state, yeah, you know, in those ways, that would be really incredible.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and I feel like unfortunately in the world that we currently live in, and most I mean the sort of in the English speaking world that I'm you know, most familiar with with at least, like I think that now there is so much horrible transphobia that that's all I think about when I think about like a quote unquote women's only anything, as I just immediately think of those people who don't want to open womanhood to people who weren't born into it, and like it's just sad and gross and like it's so hard because we have that that I feel like is so yeah, like it's just like a it's we're just like in a different horror now.
Speaker 3: It's true, it's it's it's a tough thing. And actually I've talked to a few of my friends about this. It's a tough thing because I feel like a lot of those let's say older women's spaces are holding on so tight to that, yeah, that it's becoming toxic in the in in that way. So I hope, I hope that conversation and moving forward will be able to open up. I mean, the point of having these spaces is that everyone can join and participate. Yeah, but it seems like the conversations that I get into every now and then, they'll be like, you know, you've fought so hard for the space, and it's like, yes, but we've fought for like the rights of everyone, you know. So yeah, It's it's sad to me too sometimes because I like a lot of the pioneers. I mean, they did a lot of work, but you're kind of now adapting the speechtriarchical conservative structure, and it's scary. It's really scary, you're like, so, so I agree. So again, another reason why I'd like to have space because I would really love to have everyone join and everyone be there in body, like in present, not zoom, but like be there and maybe share and maybe worship the goddess and all this kinds of stuff. Yeah, and so that's sort of my vision for the future. It's open to everyone, but I know that we're in a weird space with those with those kinds of groups and that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So hopefully moving forward we can maybe even you know, for Women's months, I mean, we got we've got to figure out, you know, how do we move forward together?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like we have to, we have to. Yeah, I agree, it's so interesting. I've never really thought about it this way. But I'm not I'm not a spiritual person, so I tend to like, especially when it comes to the show, like it tends to feature very much as like there's like historical mythology to me, and there's nothing wrong with seeing it alternatively, but it's to me, like I'm just not, yeah, not in that. But I grew up in a I don't even know how to properly describe it, like in an incredibly woman centric spiritual group that sometimes when I talk about it and explain it too much, it sounds like a cult. So I don't I don't believe it is actually a cult, but it has a lot of qualities. But like I grew up like my mom was in it, and like So I'm just kind of realizing having this conversation, how much more I grew up around the concept of the goddess than other people. My mom, my mom still and like she's still in it. I just don't like deal with it, but my mom's still Every single time I'm with her in the car and she needs to find a parking space, she will say out loud, We're going to ask the parking Goddess. Like, like, I just see, I experienced things something like oh, that was just like how I grew up, and I realized that's super not normal. But like so yeah, I'm like, oh, I think I grew up in like kind of almost like what a little bit. It wasn't it wasn't explicitly to women, but it was like ninety percent women in this thing. So I'm like, oh, right, that was like not totally normal. But I definitely grew up with this like concept of the goddess like everywhere all the time.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. I Mean, I grew up Catholic, so that was not really possible.
Speaker 1: But I'm almost Catholic, So then she did that instead.
Speaker 3: See I think my kids are growing up that way though. I mean I had to put my kids in Catholic school for a little bit when they were young, and I got called in the principal's office because my son was telling his teacher that the goddess created earth and the Goddess creates everything, and they were like and anyway, I called them out and public school. But no, I so I love that idea. I love that where you live like I No, that was not And in fact, this was the first year that I told my mother that I'm no longer celebrating Christmas and that I'm no longer considering myself a Christian. I mean, I haven't for a while, but I haven't said it out loud to my family. Yeah, and yeah, it's I mean, I don't know how it went over, and it's a work in progress. But yeah. So I grew up very much in the masculine world of Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I can see Romania being very a very different time. We were like from Quebec, more Catholic than the rest of the country. True but still Canada.
Speaker 3: True. True. I think it does affect you in some way when you grow up thinking of like using the word goddess, Like even when people say, oh, my goddess, sometimes I still go oh my God. And then you know, like just different things like that, little things like that, and you realize how ingrained in you the patriarchy is. Yeah, and now that I'm I'm starting to adopt artemists also as a spirituality or certainly like the Goddess is certainly in crete where I feel a spirituality there. I don't know if it's all artimist or there's much more archaic divinities there, since there are other divinities there. But now that there's that kind of battle within yourself of like my cerebral brain going okay, like is this real? Like yeah, I know we're in a cave and I know you feel feeling feelings, but like is it really? Like can we document it? And so I'm in this weird transition space between the cerebral and the spiritual.
Speaker 7: Yeah, with the Goddess.
Speaker 3: But you know, in a way, it's a bit of a blessing because I always saw myself as an academic and for life an academic, and I think there's something about this movement that when I published my book, women just came out of the woodwork and were like, oh my God, I love Earth. And then we you know, being invited to groups and timing convers and so you're like suddenly you're like like you like you're saying, like, suddenly I'm surrounded by women who are using this term goddess everywhere, and I'm like, oh my god, this is where I want to live, This is where I want to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love all this. I'm even remembering I in the group that my mom like was part of a lot when I was a kid. She even made a friend who had like changed her name to Artemis. So I like I'm realized, like like, oh, there's like there's recollection connections that i'd ever like fully recognized because I think I grew up with them just like No, then I just became obsessed with Greek mythology. So did I go very far?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: And I think I have my own kind of like spiritual connection to it. But it is more about like this connection to like the history and the people more so than the like more explicit like divinity spirituality. But I think it is so interesting to look at like all the different levels that can and do exist within that like and it's just so about like you know, people's personal you know, choices and and interests, and I don't know, I do It's nice from the very least of just being like the world is becoming a little bit less and by the world, I mean you know, the West where I live, but becoming a little bit less Christian.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, you're right. I would say that that's a that's a good assessment. Yes. This summer, I'm going to Greece and I'm starting to map all the Artemist temples in US, and so I'm doing this whole technical digital thing on Google and blah blah blah. I want to use my own pictures of my own stuff and blah blah. But one of the reasons why I'm doing that is because I want to be able to share like a visual representation of how popular these spaces were, how many of them there were. I guess in my mind, I want to sort of rebuild or reconstruct like what it would have been like in the ancient world to walk around, right, And I mean, I mean, Artemis is my boo, and so I'm here for her. I can't do all that. I can't do all of them. Yeah you throw you know, you saw a rock and you hit ale. So I can't do them. All, but I like this idea, Like I guess, I like something tangible or visual at least so that people everybody can see what it must have been like to live in a space where you had so many options to worship, right, yeah, so many personalities and that you could worship them simultaneously. You know, I don't know that we are. I mean we talk about it and we can imagine it, but I don't know that we can really contextualize it. Maybe it takes a little bit to get used to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's so different, it's so foreign, like in such an interesting way. Yeah, yeah, sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I know, so that's so I think. That's my Yeah, that's my it's my passion, but it's also my goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I love it. And now though I desperately want to know, like, are there more more like areas and temples devoted to Artemis where we know like kind of what what happened? Like I know, we don't know a ton about what happened at Baran, but like is there anything like that elsewhere that we know about?
Speaker 3: I mean, because it's men, we know it's Sparta.
Speaker 1: That Yeah, I was gonna say, I do remember something at Sparta, yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, that they used to whip themselves bloody and let up her statue. I don't know if you know really, Okay, so let me tell you the story and shirt. Okay, So thank you Orthea, and anybody who goes to Sparta, you can go see this temple. In fact, for a long time, I didn't even know that the Spartan's workship Artemis because it's not something they really talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyways, so there's this little temp what looks like a little temple now, and there are a couple of stories from different historians, but basically a priestess of Artemis would stand in the middle of a circle holding a wooden statue of Artemis. They say Arthea means she's erected or stands erect So it's not the hunter goddess. It seems to be more like the Artemis of Ephesus style of goddess. But we don't know, we don't have a piece of it. Anyway, she stands in the middle holding this wooden statue, and around her all the Spartan boys that are about thirteen fourteen years old walk around whipping themselves so self flagellation, right, bleeding, bleeding and splashing the blood onto the statue, and obviously the priest is holding the statue. So they do this in two ways. They do this number one until the last man standing, so that's one, and that's how they would gain sort of honor among the boys. Or they do it until until the priestess says, okay, the statue has drank enough blood, soaked enough in blood that the goddess is satisfied. And they say that actually, this ritual is a replacement ritual to an earlier ritual of human sacrifice where a boy or a young man would be killed and his blood would be poured all over the statue. So they say that this was I don't remember who says that, if it's his, he or someone else, that this was a replacement ritual. Instead of sacrificing one person, they decided to do it communally and spriat and and you know, wa whipped themselves, whipped themselves until the statue is soaked. And so I try to imagine that.
Speaker 1: So when you're in Sparta, this most spartan thing I've ever heard, like it's I try.
Speaker 3: To imagine the priestess in the middle though, because he speak coded in blood too, right.
Speaker 1: It makes me think of if and I among the Turians.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, yes, this is where it comes from. Artemis Orthea is very much connected to the Torean Artemis. And they say that it's actually the same, the same version of this of her that arrives in Sparta. And then some someoneill say that they go from Sparta to Taurists, et cetera. Either way, there's a lot of bleeding and sacrificing on this statue. Yeah, yeah, so we know that one for sure, because we have lots of male writers. Yeah, talk about it, and it's not so secret. It's actually a public ritual because you would honor your family by how long you could stand and lead.
Speaker 2: Yourself of course. Yeah, very Sparta.
Speaker 1: I knew about that temple, but I did not know about those details. But I did know that there was like a big important temple to Artemis in Sparta, and like, oh okay, yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: The Romans tell a story in which they turned it. They made it about cheese. Eventually they make some little story like that they put cheese on the altar and as the boys are running to get the cheese, they're whipped. So whoever is able to through this whipping cycle and get the cheese. Wins, like these kind of games.
Speaker 1: That I feel like I've heard more where it's more about like them scrambling for food and getting punished. But I didn't know about that in connection with Artemith. Unless I did, I don't know. I learned so many things than they followed them by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is a later so I guess they sort of move away from the self whipping as the woman's once the Romans arrive, and so then they make it about food, but they're still getting whipped on the way to get the food, so there's still a sort of a bleeding aspect to it. But yeah, yes, she's quite the bloodthirsty goddess, particularly of course men's blood. She really enjoys their bleeding and suffering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but thinking about that in connection to the fact that she is this kind of like she is a goddess of childbirth. But but I mean, I find her so interesting because she's this goddess of child birth who is notoriously childless. Yes, And so thinking about yeah, men's blood, like you're saying earlier, like men's blood in connection with that, yes, is much more interesting.
Speaker 3: Certainly, Yeah, Yeah, I like this idea that she doesn't have children of her own. I think that it really changes with the Virgin Mary because then she has children, so she becomes this mothering and yet Artemis is a mothering divinity without actually bursting from her body. I love that idea. I think there's a city there that patriarchy doesn't allow for, Like patriarchy goes, oh, you're a mother if you birth, Well.
Speaker 7: Actually that's not true.
Speaker 3: And so I really like that about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there are so many really interesting hold they feel like holdovers from this from the sort of the goddess worshiping time period that came before, probably came before. Like they feel like so many goddess feel like holdovers in that way, like Hestia, Artemis, Athena, Like they all have different in like points and like obviously Artemis is the most kind of in your face because she is also a goddess of childbirth. But like these these goddesses that are quote unquote virgins, but it, you know, we now have this association with that word about like it just has this Christian association, right, like the Virgin Mary. You know she's a virgin, but hers is about being pure it's about being you know, whatever all those different things are. I don't know, not a lot about Christianity. It's great, But like whereas the goddesses you know from Greek myth, it's more about them being unmarried. It's about them being like them. They don't have a husband, and like yes, they also don't have children, But it's not about purity. It's about like marital status. And I do think that's It's something that I didn't really like realize when I first started doing this because the every everything you read just uses the word virgin, and then we just put this connotation on it. But it's like that the perthenos originally meant more like unmarried. Yeah, it's just so much more fucking interesting, and I feel like it doesn't get said enough unless you're like in these you know, deep and you know, much more academic kind of circles with this like greater understanding of the contacts. I just, yes, absolutely wish what contexts existed when you're talking about any of this stuff. Absolutely, it's not about purity. It's not about time in in there, like, it's not about that.
Speaker 3: And you know what's interesting is that there's a lot of rumors. And I say rumors because they haven't been archaeologically or historically evidence. But there's a lot of rumors, let's say, in conversations among academics, that pre patriarchy goddess is like Haarra Athena Artemis had the skill or had the ability of personal geneticism. And so there's this rumors that inside the temples that the priestess's new secrets, whatever they may be, that they had these secret that could allow women to become pregnant to his female daughter or daughters, I want to say, magically, but without the association, you know, without the help of a man, and the way that Hara gives birth to Hephaestus or whatever. Yeah, and so, and what's fascinating is, I don't know if you've seen the stingray that's sort of self impregnant, the personogenetics stingray.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've seen the pregnant sting ray. I didn't know it was personal genetic and that's why it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I would like, why do we care about a pregnant stingray?
Speaker 2: Thank you? That's vital information.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And I just I'm fascinated with her because it's like so she was all, no stingrays are around, just these sharks. And in the beginning, people are like, oh, maybe she's gonna have shark babies. It's not possible for her to get pregnant.
Speaker 7: On her own.
Speaker 3: Now they're actually using that word, like on TikTok and social media and use they're using the word persono geneticism. As a historian, I'm like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, Yeah, that's exciting. Like I know that word not in modern context normally, but I love it.
Speaker 3: Exactly, you know, and so and so that's kind of exciting because it's sort of like scientific, yeah, that this is a natural occurrence. Now I'm not saying that, like I said, there's no evidence that women were you know, yeah, but there's lots of stories like Diya and Harah and other stories in which goddesses do reproduce.
Speaker 1: Let's say, oh yeah, I mean there's countless, like there's so many parthenogenic goddesses and it's yeah, but they're just they're immediately subjugated and like that's like usually by their child and so and also the childs are children are usually men. Oh okay, interesting, Now I'm thinking about so many things when it comes to that like, Okay, I'm gonna have to wreck my brain later and see if there is a parthenogenetic child that it does not immediately subjugate their mother. But regardless, there are so many and it is really interesting that but yeah, I mean you can just kind of see how these stories were transformed, right, how how something existed in the prehistoric time, that then when the stories that we now have were written down whatever, like they were, whether intentionally or otherwise, but like making these changes to benefit the current world order of the patriarchy.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that leads to the double goddess theory and the idea that So there's a couple of questions. First is why do we have so many stories of pressiano genetics goddess. It doesn't make any sense if they had already, if there wasn't something mysterious is happening before. Number one, Yeah, Number two is we have this double goddess and in archaeology we have these kind of blocks with two heads, and for a long time there were mysteries, you know, and lots of scholars today, well lot it's about three talk about how these are possibly mother daughters statues. So the idea that mother to share womb that mother daughter share secrets that mother daughters passed down mysteries, and so this imagine this world in which a goddess parsonogenetically creates a daughter through which she communicates history, ritual story. That daughter then parsono genetically connects another and this idea sort of this magical, fantastical story. But it seems that we have partial obsession, partial repetition of these kinds of stories in the each world that remain unexplained, like why did they just tell us so many of these stories? Why do we have so many double goddess things? And perhaps because women kept lots of secrets or didn't write things down. We don't really have an explanation for that.
Speaker 1: Well, but it's I think it's also I mean, and I'm sure it's you're a phrasing, but I want to point it out to my listeners that like they might have been writing them down, but if they did, they didn't get copied for us to have them, right, Like, it's very likely or possible at least that they wrote a ton of stuff down, but that stuff doesn't naturally last, and so yeah, like unlast, somebody's out there being like this is worthy of my copying my transcription to keep it alive, which like obviously they would never do if it was all about women because Christianity came in and fucked everything up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you're absolutely right. I mean that's a very good point. I mean, like we only have Sapho's little pieces, but exact cent was participating. Why wouldn't others?
Speaker 1: Well, exactly, and we have her little pieces mostly, I have as far as I know, but I haven't looked that deep because of like random survival, right, yeah, like, oh the papyrus was used for something else, so we have it, and that's why she's so damn fragmentary. So like if anything sappho, is this like incredible example of how women wrote stuff down and why we don't.
Speaker 2: Still have it?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, that's actually it may be a little more tragic in a way, right, It's true. That's a little more true. And I mean, I mean we haven't discovered everything, so yeah, it's possible that somewhere, somehow we may come across some other pieces. But yeah, you're right. I mean if the value of those things were not see it was not observed, then we have lost a lot. And you know that repetition or someone overhearing somebody talking and then writing it down and things like that. Again, we get it through men's eyes a lot, and so we don't. That is part of the frustration I think of being of looking back in history, is that we have not yet found all the documentation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think about it all the time because I am deeply obsessed with Euripides, in large part because I think he thought women more people worthy of describing as such. But how like, you know, so many of his plays we only have again because of like this random occurrence, not because they were deemed worthy and so and you know in some of the cases, like I think The Helen being one of them, Like it's a really interesting like way to look at both what they found to be worthy of survival back then. Yeah, but like for lots of different reasons, right, Like the most obvious being that The Helen makes Helen not to blame for the Trojan War, and so like there's not going to be a lot of support for that, because it's really nice to blame the Trojan War on Helen. Yes, But then also because it's a it's a play where Menelaist looks like a little dweeb and Helen saves everyone, and like I don't do you know offhand if if if can I among the Torreans is one of the alphabet plays because I could see it being.
Speaker 2: One, and I know it's in the right yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's in the right letters. Yeah, because because like, yeah, I mean that's another one where like Arrestes and Pilats are like complete dweves who can't do anything if if if Anaa isn't there to help them. Yeah, like those two plays are so similar. I just recently like finished The Turians after not having read it for so long, so it's sort of in my head. But I mean, yeah, I just think that with everything, because we also do know that there were other women poets, like we know their names, but we don't tend to have much that survived if anything, like.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, I mean you're right, you're actually right actually because women entered competitions, so we know that. Yeah, I don't know, like it's it even more tragic now that I think of it, that we don't have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I feel like I can name a couple that I've heard of, of, like like Sappho, but whose work just doesn't serve Like I feel like Arena is one and there's a p anyway. I know, I have a book about it, but like, yeah, yeah, it's it's just so interesting to really look at the stuff that we know existed, but we don't have, let alone everything that we don't even know if it existed because it probably featured or was written exclusively like by women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think that that's part of one of the obstacles that we are hoping to overcome with new digs. I mean, I'm going on it. I'm going to dig, not on the dig in Eritrea where there's a temple to Artemist that's being excavated now, and they found some statuettes and things like that, but I'm always hoping for inscriptions. I'm always hoping for little pieces of writing. They're still digging, so it'll take a few years, but who knows. Like so, those are some of the pieces that we could then again, I mean it would be a small piece, but it would be something that would give us some ideas. So far, all we've done is we found her name on lots of pottery and lots of pots and maybe some like So when I go into museums sometimes, especially the museum at Bern they have a whole wall where they have just shards, just shards of I don't know the thousands of pots and things that were there with her name, and so they've selected the shard with her name and they put it on the wall and I just stand there sometimes and I'm like, oh, look at how many times they wrote her name.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love stuff like that so much. I also just have like a real obsession with like regional Greek museums because they always like the lowest budget museum you've ever been into, but they have the coolest stuff and I love the combination, like no notes, They're just so fun.
Speaker 3: It's true, It's true. My only frustration with places like Koreas, for example, is that they have these massive artifact spaces and then no labels, and it drives me a little bit.
Speaker 1: No labels. And then also, like I swear nine times out of ten, like something's closed. Like I've been to Dal's, I guess only. I've been to Dallas twice, but both times the museum has been closed. Yes, and I know because they're working on it, but I want them to open it. Or I went to Samothraki, which was like quite an effort, and the museum was like mostly closed. I mean I did get it tour by the archaeologist, so I probably shouldn't complain. I knew people, but like still, you know, like just but anyway, yeah, the stuff you find of those little ones. And now though I'm upset with going to burn So is it like I don't I'm a dumb ass and I don't have a driver's license. Is it easy to get to I'm gonna look into it.
Speaker 2: I don't agree. Soon, Yeah you are.
Speaker 3: I saw that you were going on a trip with people and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's excited.
Speaker 1: I keep kind of forgetting about that because I'm afraid of being the center of attention. But that is part of it. But I'm going to be there like probably almost a month and a half so that I can be there for those ten days with all of those people and then also have all the time alone.
Speaker 3: To nice nice or I would say, I would say you'd have to drive to it. You could take the bus, but then you have to walk. Yeah, well, I mean, well comes not bad, but I would say, like about a two kilometer walk, Oh that's not bad.
Speaker 2: I can get that. Yeah, all right, I'm taking notes.
Speaker 1: I need to add more, like places I've been like trying to market all. I'm trying to see everything, and so yeah, I got to add some to the list. I keep just going back to Naxos because it's the greatest place in the world.
Speaker 3: It really is wonderful. Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: But I could use more Artemis. I like, now I'm going to be way more obsessed with her, I think, but I just I think she is one of the goddesses who is kind of most affected by by the patriarchy, by the way that we are, way the way that we can view her without having the like the deep knowledge that comes with like years and years and years of study, right like like even the stuff I can find. And I am, you know, at this point, considerably more well versed in looking for this stuff and in the ancient sources specifically, like compared to just you know, any old person. But at the same time, I still, like am so limited by the ancient sources because and they were just dude, So I can do all my thinking about like what they didn't say or what got lost or whatever, and I do, but you know, like unless you're in academia. Often you just can't get deeper, and that sucks.
Speaker 3: So this is my goal, so and so, and this is my goal with the Artemis Center. But also I think you're right. I think one of the ways that I find Artemis is easy to understand is more through artifacts.
Speaker 1: And yes, yes, you mentioned Artemis emphasis and I realize I really wanted to bring that up. Uh so I just think you said artifacts. And now we have to at least just quickly talk about about the many boobed Artemis.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'm upsetted. Okay, live, we have to do a whole thing because I'm writing. So this is the book that I'm writing now is on Artemis Ephysis. She was part of my dissertation, and now I have, like, I don't know, a bunch of more chapters. But yes, so my argument has always been that those are actually queen d cells and they're Queen d eggs, and I have all this evidence, like all these evidence, photographical evidence and all those kind of evidence, and she actually just started getting boobs once Christianity and European male artists started doing that. So yeah, so those are not.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think they look like them they look like them to us, but they don't look like them in terms of ancient statuary, like.
Speaker 3: They both.
Speaker 2: Don't they okay, on any fare of.
Speaker 3: The ancient copies, I mean, we don't have the originals, but we have some Roman copies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say I saw one for the first time in person. I went to the Capital and Museum in Rome in January and they have one there. And it's interesting because they also though, like I mean, even nipples aside, they don't look like the way that they sculpted breasts in the ancient world.
Speaker 3: Yes, so if you google Queen Bee cells, just simple Google search, you will find a way because cream the eggs are longer and they have a shape, and you'll find a way that they sit on the hive. I don't know how to explain it. Yeah, so yeah, so this is my new Like I have so much to say about her and et Targartis and all these kinds of things that are connected to her. Anyway, it's a long story, but yes, she is. She's very special. She's so much more than a hunter goddess, and she's so much more than everything. She's very very special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might I might have to bring you back to talk about her, and especially in really the relation to at our Goddess, because I've never I don't know enough about beyond Greek sources to like feel like I could do anything justice, but I always want to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, no, she's She's really amazing. And and my argument over my thought process has been, you know, why are timists like why the name are like, Okay, we know historically, but also there's something there's lots of layers. There is what I mean that would have made that the perfect fit. And they actually just found something in Esthesis that is a small statue of the Mistress of Animals and we can trace the Mistress of Animals but to Creeds. And now I'll Creed is my place, like it feels like.
Speaker 2: Home and is amazing.
Speaker 3: It is amazing, right and so and so I'm I'm hoping to live there eventually since I had my EU password I leave.
Speaker 1: Canada jealous, I'm like watching, I'm looking at Greek places as I won't lie.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean once you're so. So there's this there's this really multi layered aspect of artsmiths of Ephesis that I think really embodies her complexity, and I think it's time we talk about her as well. Like I think that there is time that we bring to life the way that ancients worshiped in these multi layered complex ways that I think we have really shrunk down or maybe these one dimensional.
Speaker 2: You know yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, especially even just the mythology like worship broadly. Absolutely, but like I mean, I think about it with the mythology all the time because and you know, if you're not deep in this, you pick up a book and you get a completely skewed view of what it is because it is almost impossible to contextualize it all in a way that is like you know, complete and not bogging down everything. So like I understand, But at the same time, like you go to a store and you just pick up a book called the Greek Mets, even if it's by like you know, a scholar of all of this stuff, and it's still like if you're just reading a quote unquote retelling of the myths themselves, like you're not getting the context of how many centuries were happening within these stories and how much they would have changed and been like regionally specific, and like you know, everyone kind of has to like pick a version and go with it. And it's why I think my show has become both very detailed and maybe sometimes annoying. I don't care. I'm not going to stop, but like, I will always tell all the different versions, and I will never pretend that like there's one answer to anything, there is no, there's no like canon.
Speaker 2: I've been reading.
Speaker 1: I've been doing a lot of research on Medusa for a book that I'm working on in yes, I mean, Medusa's like my pet, she's my artemis. Like but yeah, I mean the Medusa, the trying to contextualize her stories, trying to pick out a cut and dry version, like it is so impossible. And I just keep reading the word canon in a bunch of places, and I'm like, who's canon? Like, what are we I've read twice now, some very like supposedly like fancy academic works referring to a Pseudopolyodorus as a canonical version of her story. No, I guess right, I'm like, why the why? Like I don't think that we should ever be calling anything in Greek myth canon, yes, but if we have to for some strange reason, pseudo Apollodorus is not it.
Speaker 3: No, no, anyway, you know, academia sometimes can be a little out of touch with some things, and yeah, it's it's still a field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean, and I like the work that was most annoying to me. I have this, like I just found it at some used books, but it's like the Oxford Dictionary or like Encyclopedia of Greek and Rollman Men the classical myth and yeah, and I was like not going to use it as a main source, but like at least for like an inspiration for where else to look. But then it says one it's it calls Pseudopolydorus canonical, and then two says that Medusa is linked with this Mesopotamian goddess who I had never heard of. Then I googled it, and even Google can't agree with that at all and instead links her to like a different Mesopotamian divinity. Anyway, it was very interesting and only confused me more than when I started. But yeah, it's it's funny the stuff you find. And then I just think about people who don't have the background knowledge that I have finding that stuff, and you just are like, this is the right answer, you know, And that's just it's too bad.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And you know now you say that part of the reason why I started the school and I did. I have this these courses that are like little courses called Goddess Essentials. One of the reasons why I started that is because exactly this. People would come to me and be like, oh, what do you know about Hekti? And like what's true and what's not true? Or what do you know about Aphrodite and what's true in us? And I thought to myself, Yeah, like, how if you don't want to do a whole degree and you shouldn't have to, ye, Like, come on, how do you look up a source and be like, here's something that tells me about primary source, secondary source, contextualizes it a little bit, but it's short enough that I can do it and I can get it. And I thought, you know what, I'm going to do some of them, not all of them, but I'm going to do like ten goddesses so that if people are like looking for where do I start, you can find it because that has been my problem too. It's like you go digging for something, you fall down the rabbit hole, but then you also find so much stuff that's like what where did you get this from? No, this is hold on wait what and then it creates this chaos?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yeah, yeah, I mean even in just like this. I've only been working on this Medusa piece for a little while, but like the number of places that, without any kind of explanation or or like context at all, say with their whole whole mouth, like the Greek myth of Medusa is, and then they just proceed to tell the version from the Metamorphosies, and I'm like, there is nothing wrong with the version of the Metamorphoses, but it is explicitly and categorically not the Greek myth of Medusa. Like, yes, it has value, but it doesn't have value as being the Greek myth of Medusa.
Speaker 3: Yes, that happened to me with Apollo because I had said something about him being a total douche Canoe and somebody had said to me using the metamorphosis. Oh, well, you know, he only learned about this later, he only did this, and I had to do a whole little spiel about like Roman history is not Greek history and it comes after uh, you know, Greek history, and it's you know, it rewrites the stories however they want, and it's fine, but you know, anyways, So so you're absolutely right that, and I mean, in all fairness, like how not everybody should have to get a degree to understand. We need to have a space that's just that's more clear and more easy to access, and that people can just learn what they need to learn and feel confident that Okay, I've got the basics and now I can go out there and make whatever connections might feel fun for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so maybe we're.
Speaker 3: On our way to that, but maybe we're just you know, maybe this is the movement that's happening now, right because for a long time, of course this was gatekeeping. There was a lot of great gatekeeping around classics.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, right, so now less so yeah, yeah, it's getting better at least. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh well I clearly could talk with this forever, but I will not keep you forever, but I would love if we could. If you have got a couple extra minutes, Yeah, just finish off by telling people where they can find more about like the project you're working on, your podcast, like literally anything you want to share about Artemis and yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so social media is Artemis experts.
Speaker 2: And nice and easy. I love that and I had to.
Speaker 3: Think about it for a long time, and I had my one of my PhD supervisors going, well, aren't you the artemist X? But who else is working in artemists in the world academically And I was like, well, actually, no one is really working on her. And he's like, okay, well then just kick the name and you know, yeah, So I like that, and then the Artemis Center has the whole website. The Goddess Project is my podcast, also born out of this idea that I wanted to talk about goddess is the way I wanted to talk about them, And sometimes when I teach at university we have to stick to like dates and names of emperors and things like that. So I was like, no, let's talk about the tools and all the gory bits. So the Goddess Project is yeah, as the podcast, and yeah, that's good it. Otherwise you could probably find me through those three things, those three places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wonderful. I'll link to things in the apisode description too so they can find it. But this was so much fun. Thank you so much for doing that.
Speaker 3: Thank you Live. I've been looking forward to meeting you for so long.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, say I love it.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I love it and talking with people makes me love it so much more and I needed that today specifically, So thank you.
Speaker 2: This was very fun.
Speaker 3: That makes me okay. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh as always, thank you all so much for listening. I just I mean, I have been having a tough go of it lately. Just now withheld tears long enough that I could record this, We're doing great. Uh you know, I started talking and I had nowhere to go. Honestly, thank you all so much for listening. Thank you all for the really kind notes that you've sent me to when it comes to the utter disaster of a human that I am in this moment while trying to put out incredible content that I've been so excited about for months, Like I have had these episodes planned four months and months, i e. Since before everything I loved exploded in my face and died. And so it's been really hard to feel like I had the ideas that I was so excited about and these people I was so excited to talk to you or in some cases people I'd talked to before, and like, oh, anyway, there's been tough moments, but it's been you know, really tough to to try to create this content and put it out when I have this this like deep desire to do it, but also an inability to function as a human being. Official depression setting in. We're looking into it. But in the meantime, I just really appreciate the supportive nature of my listeners and I just you know, thank you, thank you for not once complaining about this show being a little bit more haphazard lately, and just you know, thank you for being really nice and lovely. And that's all I've got to say. Actually, let's talk about Miss Maybe is written produced by me Live Albert MICHAELA. Smith is the Hermes to My Olympians. My assistant producer Laura Smith.
Speaker 2: Again no relation.
Speaker 1: I think it's funny every time I have to say their name is back to back, like come on, guys, really and any case, Laura Smith is the wonderful audio engineer and production assistant. The podcast is part of the iHeart Podcast Network. Listen on Spotify or Apple or wherever you get your podcasts. Uh, if you are interested in supporting this show or me, or just all the work that I do and you get to listen to for free, I'm not trying to guilty. I promise, but it's just like factual. You can subscribe on Patreon and contribute to the show. There is a ton of back bonus content for you to binge. Honestly, like I can't even I don't even know how many episodes. It's pretty wild how much I've been put out in seven years of having a Patreon. And I say all of that because I've not been very prolific lately. I haven't been able to do anything because you know, I'm barely here.
Speaker 2: But there is so much.
Speaker 1: If you want to contribute to the show, it's patreon dot com, slash myths, baby, and if I let myself continue to talk into this microphone without a script, it's just gonna go poorly. Thank you all so much. You are truly wonderful. I really, truly, honestly could not keep doing this without you. That's a that's a straight up fact. I am live and I love this shit.