Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the dollop of Cream in your Butternut Squash Puzzle bisc I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and today's guest is the terrific Charlotte Wilder, sportswriter and host of the show Oddball, the weirdest show about the NBA, according to Charlotte herself. Welcome Charlotte, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Aj. It's fun being on every day this week because I get to tell people to support me in various different ways. So if anyone feels like subscribing to my substack, the Wilder Things dot substack dot com, but by all means, who am I to stop them?
Speaker 1: Well that's a good segue, because today's puzzle is actually about your name, Wilder. We're calling this puzzle Bewilder Wilder, which we hope to do momentarily. We hope that you will eventually figure it out, but we want you to be bewildered for a minute. And the name is actually a clue to how this puzzle works. I'm going to give you clues to two word phrases, and the first word is going to start with the letters B E, and the second word is the same as the first word, but with the bee removed. So, for instance, if I said this is what it's called, would you perplex the sports writer with the first name of Charlotte, you might say the wilder wilder, wilder Wilder. Notice it doesn't always rhyme. So that's a little all right, And this one it's a little more challenging. But I think you're up for it. We've seen you, we've seen you thrive. Okay, are you ready for number one?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: This is a commercial for those little round things you find on a rosary or a necklace or an apicus.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I think I've got it. Do you want me to talk through it or do you want me to say it?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and say it, be crazy.
Speaker 2: I think it's a beat ad.
Speaker 1: It is a beat ad. You got it all right, nicely done, nicely done.
Speaker 2: It took me a second, I did. Momentarily. My mind went blank when you said rosary, and I was like, what is that? Is that a rotary? And then I was like, oh, right, it's the thing that the beads on it, which led me to.
Speaker 1: And I know that you love abacus's or abakai, So I do all right. This is what you might say to someone if you want them to start drinking their glass of booze made by Bombay, Sapphire or Beefeeder or Tanker Ray.
Speaker 2: Well, given the brands you just mentioned, I would imagine that the only thing they could do in that case AJ would begin gin.
Speaker 1: Begin gin exactly. She was not bewildered for long. This is a car rental place owned by butt Head's pal.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, she's but heads pow would be Beavis exactly. So one would imagine that if you take off the B Beavis vis. Oh is it BA.
Speaker 1: B very close? Your vivis is spelled with an A, not just B E v I S B e A v I S.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: That's a good one, thank you. Well, yeah, I mean we are sponsored by Avis, so we were there.
Speaker 3: You go.
Speaker 1: This is a ground stroke in tennis that has done previous to all other ground strokes.
Speaker 2: Okay, so groundstroke, I thought forehand, but that does not start with a B. But it is. But it is a beforehand forehand exactly.
Speaker 1: You went the other way, all right? Two more quick ones. These are muscle pains you feel after a day of going to Sandy Ocean Front spots, so you might get them from swimming or its sun tent. She sounds got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like it's a beach ach a beach.
Speaker 1: Well, it's actually the plural. You're going to many of these ocean fronts.
Speaker 2: Oats, beaches aches.
Speaker 1: Exactly beaches aches because beach does not have an e on the end of it, so he had to go plural.
Speaker 2: Can you tell, by the way, can you tell that my weakness here is spelling?
Speaker 1: Well, you shouldn't have to know how to spell beavis, that is not but I.
Speaker 2: Should know how to spell beach an eight, you know, like my Twitter bio for a while. Actually, when I first joined Twitter a million years ago, was I'm a writer, not a speller, because I'm I'm very bad at spelling, but I you know, somehow managed to strength and words together every once in a while.
Speaker 1: You do a great and you're a great writer and yes, a mediocre speller. You were born in the wrong century. My my new book or upcoming book is about the constitutional era, and you can just spell however the hell you want really back then. Yeah, there, that's great because that's what I do.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there you go. You are you're just an early American, all right. Last one is a boxing venue in an Alaskan street. So a like a body of water up in Alaska. This would be a boxing venue where you might go.
Speaker 2: Okay, so an Alaskan straight. My thought was feured, but that's very Norwegian, so I'm trying to think boxing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say I would recommend going boxing venue first.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, so it's it's the bearing ring.
Speaker 1: The bearing ring. There we go, exactly nicely done. You did great, you got them all, no problem, thank you, thank you. You're spelling disability, so congratulations. Where can people find more of your your great writings slash not great spelling?
Speaker 2: The Wilder Things dot substack dot com?
Speaker 1: You would which I think you have. It's something like it's Charlotte's Web you just live in it? Is that the catch?
Speaker 2: When someone else says it, it sounds I'm like, oh, is that really what I came up with? Huh, Maybe I'll workshop it.
Speaker 1: But no, we like it at the Butler. That's the kind of thing we like. Are you a fan of the book Charlotte's Web?
Speaker 2: Yes, huge fan. I don't think I was named after the spider, but I also don't think I was not named after the spider. It's how I'll put it.
Speaker 1: Got Yeah, it is a lovely book. I actually I have a hot take on Stuart Little, another book by Ebe White, which I really do not like because I think Stuart Little was a horrible little rodent.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's a weird book. Took people don't talking to It's like this lady had a mouse, like her son was a mouse.
Speaker 1: Right. I know that is not discussed, like that would be on the front page of you know, TMC to every sure and so yeah, that is underplayed. But he's also very rude to his parents and just takes off and doesn't call it is I have lots of moral issues with uh, with Stuart Little, all right. So before we wrap up a puzzle for the puzzlers at home, an extra credit this one. It's actually quite a little tricky, but I think it's it's worthwhile. It's actually three words, so it's not two words. It's a Mexican dish that's wrapped in a cornusque and it's made by a very passive man. So what would be a Mexican dish wrapped in a coronusk made by a passive man? You will get the answer next episode, and please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler Podcast. If you're liking it, please tell your friends and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles. Then will puddle you pugglingly.
Speaker 3: Hello puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle Officer, here with the extra credit answer from our previous episode. We played a pie Day game in which you had to insert PI into different words. Your extra credit clue was start with a six letter term used in science fiction for inhabitants of Earth and end up with a species of small turtle that is the mascot for the University of Maryland, and that would be tryin t r RN and terra pin the University of Maryland Terrapins. Hope you enjoyed it, and I hope you catch you here next time on the Puzzler Podcast. Thanks for playing along with the team here at the Puzzler. I'm Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle Officer. Our executive producers are Neelie Lohman and Adam Neuhause of New House Ideas and Lindsay Hoffman of iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Jody Abergan and Britney Brown of Roulette Productions. Our associate producer is Andrea Schoenberg.
Speaker 4: The Puzzler with AJ Jacobs is a co production with New House Ideas and is distributed by Ostriches Adapt No. It's distributed by iHeart Podcasts. So though Ostriches do in fact adapt, don't they.
Speaker 5: If you want to know more about puzzling puzzles, please check out the book The Puzzler by AJ Jacobs, a history of puzzles that The New York Times called fun and funny. It features an original puzzle hunt by yours Truly, and is available wherever you get your books and puzzlers. For For all your puzzling needs, go visit the puzzler dot com.
Speaker 4: See you there,