Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best.
Speaker 2: Feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you're making a decision that's going to be best for you and not for what somebody told you to do, and that's when all bets are off.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host, Rashan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success.
Speaker 3: For you and maybe decide to.
Speaker 1: Your ham it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own keep winning. Hi am Rashan McDonald, our host the weekly Money Making Conversation Master Class show. The interviews and information that this show provides off for everyone. It's time to stop reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My guest is author of the book entitled Gumbo Coalition. He's on the show to discuss the documentary Gumbo Coalition, which is currently a streaming on HBO Max. Please Welcome to Money Making Conversations Masterclass. He's the President and CEO of National Urban League, Mark Morio, Mark how are you doing.
Speaker 3: Hey, Rashan Man, thank you for having me. Good good day. And to all of your listeners and viewers out there, let me just say, appreciate the chance to be with you, and congratulations on what you're doing to bring to bring truth about progress. Thank you to people in the community. I appreciate it a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, before we even get it to Goumbago Coalition, I said your title President CEO of the Urban National Urban League, Explain to everybody who don't know what it is. What is the National Urban League?
Speaker 3: So the National Urban League is one of the nation's historic civil rights organizations. We go back to nineteen ten, so we're one hundred and fourteen years young. We are a network of ninety two community based organizations across the nation Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and the Twin Cities New Orleans, Atlanta and I can continue to go all right, but we're a unique historic civil rights organization. We focus on economic empowerment. We focus on bringing programs like job training, job placement, home buyer education, small business advancement, health equity, civic engagement to local communities across the nation. And then we're a national voice with other civil rights organizations, be it the NAACP of the National Action Network, of the Black Women's Roundtable, or the National Council of Negro Women, Lawyers Committee Leadership Conference LDF, and all of the above, because we work in coalition on issues that impact our community, so we are a force in local communities. We zent black people, not only black people, but primarily black people, and we don't purport to speak for all black people, but we speak for a lot of black people absolutely.
Speaker 4: So with that being said, the attack of DEI and we know DEI doesn't just support black people, but it tends to slant it in that direction.
Speaker 1: We know it impacts white women. So talk about your organization and what it does to curb the attack of DEI and also expound to people what is DEI.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you asked that question because to understand it, you got to go back sixty years ago. When the Civil Rights Act of nineteen sixty four passed. It banned discrimination and employment. It banned discrimination in public accommodations, hotels, restaurants, movie theaters, and the like. Band segregation. At that point in nineteen sixty four, black people only held for the most part menial positions in the economy, and we had a class of black people who were professionals and business owners, but they only could serve black people. That was the economy of nineteen sixty four. Doors were opened white women. You're exactly right, latinos Asians, Indigenous Americans, and African Americans walked through doors that had been historically closed. And that change is what and the way and the implementation of that change is what people now sometimes called D E and I. What is d E and I rashon equal opportunity, That's what It is. A level playing field, opportunities for jobs, whether they be in white college jobs, in factor, in government, anywhere in America. It is about access and a level playing field. The attacks on D E and I have to be understood for what they are. They are the old segregationist mentality rearing its ugly head again. No ifs ands or butts about it. They can wash it, they can try to clean it, they can wrap it in swaddling clothes or fancy investments, but it is nothing but an effort to turn the clock back. So we in coalition with many others, are pushing back. We're pushing back in the courts. We're pushing back in the streets. We're pushing back in corporate boardrooms, in state legislatures and city councils to protect that progress that we've made in that progress is not enough, that progress doesn't go far enough. But we are not going to allowed and our When we had the State of Black America, I said not on our watch, right and when I say on our watch, not on the watch of our generation. Can we allow the gains, the progress, the change in America to be reversed because we don't fight back, because we sleep, because we're complacent.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know when I'm speaking to Mark Morayo, he's the president's CEO of the National Urban League, but also in this book noted Gumble Coalition as well as the documentary, he's the former mayor of New Orleans. Now. Also in the documentary he features his mom, which I think is a brilliant relationship because to hear her speak and then see how active she is, to see that you didn't have an you didn't have an option there, sir, between your dad and between your mom, you didn't have an option.
Speaker 3: Mark, my mom and dad, my mother, God bless hers ninety one. My father of course has been deceased from now over thirty years. But they were civil rights warriors and it was instilled into us the pride of being black. It was instilled in us the responsibility to fight for the underdog and those locked out and left out, and it was part of how we were raised. And in that sense, my mother in the documentary reminds us several times that these attacks of today feel like the attacks of the nineteen fifties and sixties. And she's repeatedly said, I haven't seen this in a long time. And as she has told me in numerous private conversations, she says, do something. You all have to do something. You have to organize, you have to fight, you have to make alliances, and you have to fight with intelligence and with passion. So, uh, my mom is is not only my mom, but a role model and a confidant and a mentor and a friend.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's a beautiful to you just staying there because when i'm of course, you know, I met you and I met.
Speaker 1: On the Steve Harvey Morning Show. You came on the show, yeh, And it was the interview by Steve Harvey, and that's when we first met and then when you came back on my show, Money Made coming masterclassed promoting your book, Gumbo Coalition and it's about your ability to bring diverse individuals into your platform to make a better city of New Orleans. Am I correct?
Speaker 3: Yes? And we yeah? And New Orleans is a city majority African American city, but a very very uh diverse in dynamic city. And the challenge of leadership in a city like New Orleans, in a lot of cities, is you got to bring a lot of people to the table in order to build a force to move forward. And that's what we worked hard to do. I had an open door policy. I spoke to people, even people I didn't agree with. But when it was time to decide, the buck stopped with me and we made the decisions that were necessary. And we decided that I was not going to treat those who had not supported me as automatic enemies. Some people didn't support me, I said, if you want to work with me on fair terms, hey, you can be a part of this coalition. And so we had you know, everybody in that coalition, and we named it the Gumbo Coalition because Gumbo's got all sorts of ingredients in it. And our leadership coalition had great ingredients in it, and people I think responded to that because it gave them something to be a part of. Make no mistake about it. You know, equity was at the center. Inclusion was a guiding principle. We moved the city forward. We gave Black people an opportunity to participate in the economy like never before. We bought the Essence Festival to town. We had Super Bowls, we bought the NBA to town. We add a ten thousand new homeowners. It was an important period. But what I tell people is we really worked hard to get everybody pushing in the same direction. And that's a hard thing to do. It's not easy to do, and they are always going to be people who are outside, people who are outlives. But a big tent and a big coalition at the Urban League, we're trying to make sure that as a historic organization, we're not trapped in yesterday. So we've made several initiatives that are designed to bring young people the national urbanly young professionals. Our college initiative called the Black Executive Exchange or the Business Executive Exchange Program. We are working hard because we have to have everyone in the movement. Commons says it well in the song Glory. I love the line it takes the wisdom of the elders and young people's energy, and we can't function simply on an individualistic platform.
Speaker 4: Right, you know, it's beautif. First of all, I want to remind everybody if they don't know, that his dad was the former mayor of New Orleans and it was a beautiful thing that's mentioned in the book Gumbo Colisha, if you care to buy the book or find a book in the library and read up on a book. He made that transition and followed in his father's footstep, and his.
Speaker 1: Mom was along the way. Now, now let's go to what I saw with my wife on HBO Max. It was not of the book per se, same title, but explained to us the difference.
Speaker 3: So in the documentary, me and my partner in the documentary is a Latinas sister by the name of Janet McGee, a strong civil rights leader. She leads Unidos US. It's the largest civil rights organization that focuses on the Latino community. And we've worked together for you know, a long time on a lot of different things, and in this documentary. We wanted to showcase how we work together. We wanted to showcase cooperation and a collaboration between African Americans and Latinos. And then underneath it, there's some important stories. The work of the Urban League in the Greater Metropolitan Saint Louis area of the Saint Louis Urban Leagues Save our Son's Program, which grew out of the tragic murder of Michael Brown in Ferguson. Janet's underlying story was her advocacy on behalf of a family that had been separated by harsh immigration policies, and so those were followed so people could see that in the work that we do, we might be at rallies, we might be testifying before Congress, but we're working with individuals and families and young men and young women on day to day challenges across the nation. I wanted people to see the success of an Urban League re entry program, which is in Saint Louis, just one example of many programs similar to that that we run all across the nation. Janet wanted people to see the pain of an intact family being yanked a part because the husband was deported right or set up for deported because he didn't have the right papers in hand or the right papers at the right time in hand, So all of that, But we also focus on Charlottesville. We also focus on the twenty eighteen and the twenty twenty election, and we focus on, you know, the white supremacy movement, the white nationalist movement, which is tearing the nation apart, and it's manifesting itself in attacks on d E and I, on voter suppression, on book bands and alike. And we wanted people to see we have to have a coalition of black people and white people, and Latinos and Asians and Indigenous Americans, people of all religions Jews, Gentiles, Protestants, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, people that may not be in an organized a formal religion, all genders and gender identities regard we have to build that is focused on democracy, on economic conclusion, on leveling the playing field, and on a just and equitable future.
Speaker 5: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversation Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan MacDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 4: Wow, you know it's really important that. Let me break down a little more detail.
Speaker 1: When the Save His Sons, Save Our Son's program, they feature a young man named Bradley Cobb. Oh yeah, brilliant storytelling. Really at the very beginning when he's introduced, you say, just took the wrong fork in the row. That's all Bradley Cobb did, the wrong fork in the rod because I always tell people in life, you always come to a fork. You know, it's the direction you choose. Can't plan your future, but that doesn't mean you can't turn that fork around. That's the Bradley Cobb story. When he's talking about the Janet story that was featured, that's missus Rose Escabar and her husband was snatched and sent back to El Salvador. So we see that try and play out with the kids and realized that you can make these laws. Politicals put their effect everyday people. And I believe that resonated with me as a viewer. I was compelled to want to know more post story more changes more, because that probably frustrates you doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Mark that you know there are not enough post stories about the Bradley Cobbs or the Rose Escabars.
Speaker 3: So you know, Sean like you, I'm sure I grew up with a lot of Bradley Cobbs. Yes, a lot of guys in my neighborhood may have taken the wrong path for a moment or two. Some took a wrong path and have paid a long, long, long, long sentence for taking them wrong. What I think we're trying to say is we cannot throw people away because a person takes a fork in the word Brothery Cobb. You can tell by listening to him, the brother is brilliant, He's smart, but he also understood, Hey, I did make a bad move. I've paid for it, and I'm going to try to come correct. I'm going to work on a pathway that is going to allow me to live a productive life. And the good thing about saying ourselves is that most of the young the young men in the program, and they were a medium term. I mean these were not people who did on wan or two years with people doing eight, nine, ten, twelve years in the penitentiary in Missouri. That most of them were able and as a scene in the in the documentary were able to come correct and we lost one or two people who repeat they were recipedists, and it goes what we're trying to do is demonstrate not perfection, because there's no perfection, but we're trying to demonstrate his progress. That's true and why we have to invest in Well.
Speaker 1: You know the beauty of this gumble coalition which is streaming on HBO Max right now, you can watch it. I'm talking to Mark Morial, the president CEO of the National Urban League. I felt the way you told the story, you know, the George Floyd is in there, the impact of America, Donald Trump of course.
Speaker 3: Is in there.
Speaker 1: His mom is in there because I think the reason I bring up his mom because I believe you got to have history and one thing you don't want to know when you're talking to somebody who is history, and that is his mom. She can see when history is repeating itself and you should listen to people who've been there that.
Speaker 3: That's what I felt.
Speaker 1: The inclusion of your mom, Mark, was very important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, the documentarian sat down with my mom and then said we have to talk to her as much as possible. And you know, my mom raised five children. She was an accomplished activist and professional in her own right. Started out as about my mom. When she was a young woman, she and her friends tried to join the League of Women Voters in New Orleans and they were not allowed to join because they were black women. They went and started their own organization called the Louisiana League of Good Government, which was a black women's civic association, which had about a thirty to thirty five year life. But when I thought about it, think of the shit determination of these women, Black women, many of them teachers, in their late twenties and early thirties, in the waning days of segregation around the Civil Rights movement, Civil Rights Act, Voters Act, having the gall and the gumption and the drive and the determination to create their own entity. And so what they ended up doing. And I remember this as a boy. She said, after the Civil Rights the Voting Rights Act passed, we had to go into communities and neighborhoods and teach people about voting, how to vote, where to vote, how to get registered, how to evaluate candidates. She said, that was the work we did. We did it in public housing, we did it in neighborhoods. We did it in churches, so you know, as a little boy, I remember running all around with my mom. Sometimes you didn't like it, going to various activities right at various churches, in public housing, and you felt like, I'm being separated from my friends. I want to just hang out with my friends. But it was such an experience of exposure for me to learn about how activism really worked. In those days. You had so many people doing so many things because they were part of a movement. Right.
Speaker 1: You know, as we wrapped this meeting up, let's interview up. Listen, because yes, we went all the way up to the insurrection, which was January sixth. Let's talk today. I'm not talking about politics. I'm talking about America Day. We kind of mentioned it with being under attack, deis HBCUs being under attack. You still reside in the city of New Orleans. Gumbo coalition, this is all about diversity. I think that's all. Mark Cuban was saying, you want to reach out and get everybody, and that's a Gumbo coalition. And he said Mark Cuban, who is the owner of the Dallas math vergs or he sold the team, but he still is the operation lead with the average maverickers saying by having DEI that's what makes corporations and America successful. When by having Gumbo coalition, which is about diversity, which is inclusion, makes America great, not saying so I see d and Gumbo colicious hand in hand.
Speaker 3: Mark Cuban's right. Many are right. Many embrace the fact that if you look at the American future without all of the human talent that we have participating to the fullest and having an opportunity to participate in and enjoy American prosperity, the nation will not move forward. This, you know, Rashwan is really as it's a battle in a fight between the past and the future. People who think, oh, let's go back to what it used to be like know when it used to be people talking about the fifties, you know, a third of the population, fifty percent of the population, women in African Americans were completely excluded. Look, I like to watch old shows. I was watching some old television shows on and I looked at it and I said, every single actor on this show is white men and no women. Then no African Americans. Then I look at the credits, the scroll of credits after the show, I said, even the makeup artists and a ward robe consultants are men. That was America of the nineteen fifties, in the nineteen sixties. So you and in fact had you know, twenty five thirty, maybe thirty five to forty percent of the population that had one hundred percent of the power and the responsibility. So this is not to say black men, white men should not be included. That is not what this is about. It's about saying that everyone needs to be included in decision making in high level positions, and everyone is qualified, everyone has innate ability to participate, and we got to affirm that principle. And that's what the Gumbo Coalition is all about. When you put all of these flavors in gumbo with shot and you put it in a little spice, you can't beat it.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you something. You know from Houston, Texas. You have to sell me on no gumbo. Now, that's what you're trying to tell me. The chuck the road, do that gumbo because the beauty by gumble put it. Look some sausage in there, crabs, chickens, some shrimp, some some tomatoes. Get that root right, that's what Gumbo coalition you know, I know that you know the uh, the Gumbo coalition that's streaming right now current on HBO Max.
Speaker 1: It's been the streaming for a minute. I just wanted to bring light to the correlation, also bring back our relation. Let you know that I'm not only an advocate of your brand and what you represent the National Urban League that anytime, Like I said, this call came to me last week, interview was set up this week that you need your voice heard and spread across this country in some ways this world, because my podcast is international congratulation.
Speaker 3: Here what you've built in, what you are building to talk to people. I like what you're doing on the campuses because US is such an important part of what we all have to do more of which is to really reach out, include listen, have conversations with the emerging generation, with young people. And I'm deeply appreciative and I'll be back again. We'll check in and appreciate you and your team for having me today and look, God bless ing, may a force continue to be with you.
Speaker 5: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Master Class. Money Making Conversations Master Class with Rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot Com. And always remember to lead with your gifts.