Speaker 1: It's the radio segment that was almost a billionaire. Wow, he's back in nineteen ninety seven. He actually invented Google, but he only did it.
Speaker 2: With one oh, so it was Google.
Speaker 1: Nobody even knew what that meant, so Google Gongle would be two genes, so ended up with nothing.
Speaker 2: See even cause confusion.
Speaker 1: Today we all know what Google is all.
Speaker 2: It's laser Stories, a segment where to read weird.
Speaker 1: News stories around the globe, just like everyone else does.
Speaker 2: He said, we've got a laser. There's other googie nubies. Just dumb.
Speaker 1: This first laser story is out of Michigan. Police responded to a burglary alarm the other day when forty two year olds Cody Bellamy tried to break into a former prison.
Speaker 2: Yes you heard that correctly, not out.
Speaker 1: He attempted to break into a non operational prison.
Speaker 2: Wait, there's nobody even in there.
Speaker 3: I felt like maybe he was looking for a buddy.
Speaker 2: Or a former lover.
Speaker 1: That was a closed down prison. So police showed up and found out what the deal was. Turns out Cody was actually going to be incarcerated the next day, so he thought he'd get his sentence started early by checking in a day before.
Speaker 3: I overachiever that Cody always been yes, smart.
Speaker 1: And that's when officers told him that's not how it works, and he was at the.
Speaker 2: Wrong prison anyway.
Speaker 1: The one that he broke into was the Standish Correctional Facility, which closed way back in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: To not tell, He's like, this was easy to get into.
Speaker 1: They also found that he'd driven a twenty fifteen Lexus to the prison, and when the police looked inside they found stolen jewelry, cash, burglary tools, and an unregistered firearmy.
Speaker 2: Nobody got to.
Speaker 3: Like, you're going to jail anyway, you know, you might as well get a couple things in.
Speaker 1: Well. Yeah. When officers asked what was the plan with all that, he said he was going to park his car in the prison parking lot for three years and then drive off with all of his stuff when he got outs.
Speaker 2: Stupid question. Cops obviously that.
Speaker 3: The typical parking policy in a prison.
Speaker 1: I would assume, So yeah, could just lock her door so nobody breaks in. Cody was then arrested and hit with four new charges, including breaking and entering and possession of burglary tools.
Speaker 2: They take him to his next sentences.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, public transit.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: This next laser stories out of Illinois, a mom woke up in the middle of the night because her baby was crying, so after soothing the child, she tucked him back into bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go to your next laser story. Good to him.
Speaker 1: The thing is that she had trouble falling back asleep to pass the time. She opened the lottery app on her phone and it showed that she just won one point four million dollars.
Speaker 3: No matter what, she just woke up the whole house.
Speaker 1: Then the baby did wake up because of all the joy is screaming and yellows.
Speaker 2: Wake up, baby, celebrate with mom now.
Speaker 1: The unnamed mom matched all five numbers in the Lucky Day lotto, using all three of her children's birthdays.
Speaker 2: As lottery numbers. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: The winning numbers were six, eight, sixteen, seventeen, and twenty.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, she's almost gonna be able to recoup the cost of raising them.
Speaker 1: After choosing to remain anonymous, Lucky Mom was written in all caps in the section for the winner's name. Yeah. When she went to lottery headquarters the next day to collect, she was quoted as saying she thinks that winning this much is quote absolutely whack a dudle.
Speaker 2: What out what that's like? Cool?
Speaker 1: Mom?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that.
Speaker 1: She added that she plays the Lucky Day lotto here and there and always uses her kid's birthdays as her lucky numbers. You guys, the other day I scanned my scratch ticket and.
Speaker 2: It was like air roar, go see attendant, And I was.
Speaker 1: Like, I won and it was literally just a broken bark.
Speaker 2: Let's go to your next Lazer story out of in the air up there. I hope it's up there.
Speaker 1: When you think of first class, the last airline that comes to mind is Frontier Airlines. Yeah, first class no offense to Frontier, but they're trying to change that with their newest perk. What and while you still won't be able to get business class or even a free bag of peanuts during the flight, they are going to give you the option that other airlines are not offering plane not that five minutes.
Speaker 3: I actually feel like Frontier would be cool with that.
Speaker 2: Here's what they're doing from now on.
Speaker 1: When you fly Frontier, whether you sit on an aisle or on the window, you're able to buy the.
Speaker 2: Middle seat to That's so cool.
Speaker 1: It's all part of their new Upfront Plus seats, And if you're sitting in the first two rows, you'll be able to throw down an extra forty nine bucks to ensure nobody sits in the middle seat next to you.
Speaker 3: When they cancel my flight the day of, I'm losing double the money. Now, yeah, that is how it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this will all today good for like plus size people too.
Speaker 3: So when you sit down, do you have to let the other person know like, hey, I paid for this, Like that's an awkward there's.
Speaker 1: A sign that's like this is not your seat. I think you should fight to the death over the Okay, that's the frontier way.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: The CEO says they realize many consumers strongly prefer a seating option that offers extra space when flying. Yeah, that's the it's the leaning back in the leg room is what I want. This gives you the option of extra leg room and exclusive use of that arm rests. And right now it's just a pilot program, meaning they're just trying it out. The upfront Plus seating will be available on flights from April ten through April thirtieth, and if it's successful, they might make it a permanent upgrade option. Okay, well, now you can tell people you're flying first class and just done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's next.
Speaker 1: The stories out of hospitality one O one has a waiter or waitress ever drawn a smiley face on your receipt?
Speaker 2: Yes, like they think we're so dumb. The fake cheer will make us tip more. I know it works for me. It's nice of them. Yeah, I'm like, oh, they like me. It turns out they might actually be right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because a new study in the Journal of Hospitality Management found people actually do tip more if they see a smiley face on their receipt.
Speaker 3: Humans are so simple, we all want joy. Okay.
Speaker 1: So they printed different tip suggestions on people's receipts. Yeah, like fifteen, twenty or twenty five percent, and then each one had a different emoji right next to it. So they basically wanted to see if the emojis would shame people to tipping more.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's kind of messed up. I thought you meant like the server was writing it. Well, this was the study.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So the lowest percentage had a neutral face, the rest had smiley faces where the smile got bigger and bigger as the tip percentage went up.
Speaker 2: The highest tip looked like it was just on drugs. Well.
Speaker 1: The result was an eleven percent overall increase in tips. They also tried it with delivery orders and saw a ten percent bump, and takeout orders saw the biggest boost thirty three percent bigger tips. Think it's that human connection, Like you don't ever see the to go person, but if they actually were like, have a nice day, smiley face, I'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, well, what a great person.
Speaker 3: Or if the smiley face was even next to the tip suggestion and it just said, oh, they will smile if I give them that.
Speaker 2: Mile, yeah, probably were Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you want to get a bigger tip, you know what to do or who to see for it.
Speaker 2: Oh wait a minute, if this.
Speaker 1: Guy has a reputation for his big tip, I mean tipping style, big tipping style.
Speaker 3: Got its negative emoji face.
Speaker 1: Now look at that smile on his face. He's a happy little guy. And that's how it means. Laser Stories has come to an end for the day. We'll do it again, same time on Monday
Speaker 3: Brook and Jeffrey in the morning