Speaker 1: Mute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to Software Radio, Special Operations, Military Nails on straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on? This is rad the host of SOFTWAP Radio and I have a super awesome stoked episode today. But before I introduce my next guest, I gotta tell you I appreciate you checking out the merch store. We've been shipping stuff out to you. We love you picking up the branded softwarep radio goods. Like I say, it keeps the gas place going. So we can keep the show going for you, so I can bring awesome guests and author about who I'm going to talk to in just a second. But I want to mention our book club. So soft rep dot com forward slash book hyphen Club. We have that book club. Brandon Webb and the guys and gals have put all the time and effort into putting a book club together for you. Go check it out. Read a book, read a band book, Just read a book, read a book. Okay?
Speaker 3: Amen? Brother?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Amen? And who that is who is on the video who you hear in the background is none other than Eric Blem. Eric Blem, Welcome to the show Soft Rep Radio.
Speaker 3: So stoked to be here, So stoke.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm going to give you a quote from somebody real quick about you, and it's Eric Blem offers an insightful perspective on how Craig Kelly became the effortless icon that we all revered, as well as sobering details of how his heroic journey tragically ended. The Darkest White is a must read, not just for fans of snowboarding, but for anyone looking for inspiration from an unlikely hero. Tony Hawk, professional skateboarder, wrote that quote about the book that we're here to talk about, which is The Darkest White, and to precursor that, like Star Wars, okay, how they go backwards. Yeah, you also have a book called Fearless that's been out and that really took off top ten biopic. You know, you wrote about Adam Brown and the heroics that happened and he ultimately succumbed to the injuries. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Correct? It was. It was a redemption story.
Speaker 4: He was killed in combat, putting himself in the line of fire to keep his brother safe and accomplish a mission.
Speaker 3: And it's a yeah, it's a it's.
Speaker 4: A story that has resonated with so many walks of life because it is a redempt story. It's kind of like the Prodigal Sun meets Sealed Team six meets train Spotting, you know.
Speaker 2: And I'm not trying to confuse my viewer or my listener that there's multiple things going on here in this intro. Okay, First of all, we got Eric blem on the on the line, all right, and he was the editor of trans World Snowboarding editor in chief, right.
Speaker 3: Yep, once upon a time in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Time that was my bible, okay, and my god. I had a skate shop when I was thirteen years old in Leyton, Utah. And I carried Transworld skate and snow and I got the dealer issues. And I would always love to flip to the very very very very back and go Utah Layton Skateboard Village. Boom. I'm in this thing like the phone book. I have a purpose.
Speaker 4: Are you talking about transwrow snowboarding business, the business pubs too, the trade wise as well?
Speaker 3: Yes, so well there was the shop. I just have to interview you.
Speaker 2: See. I went to SIA when I was seventeen in Vegas. See, so that was like, I'm forty six now, so ninety. I had my shop when I was thirteen till I was about eighteen, and it was from like ninety one till about ninety four ninety five, so about four years, maybe fourteen.
Speaker 4: I was finishing college in ninety three, and during that final year of SDSU Journalism school, I was hired as the managing editor of Snowboarding Business. So I put together that little rag of a magazine that you used to love, and I'm so stoked to hear somebody out there actually read it.
Speaker 2: I did. I love it. I just want you to know that when Guy my editing director or my editor in chief of software, it's like Rad get Eric on the show. I love his book Fearless. I'm like, yeah, that's great. I get the Seal community, but you know what you have in common as a snowboarder and as an extreme athlete, just like a seal or any of these rangers or any of these guys that go through infantry or anybody who joins the military puts himself as a healthy person. They are able body. They are chasing, you know, the two mile qualifications, they're doing the push ups. You know, I see that in snowboarding. I see that in these athletes like Craig Kelly, like Mark McMorris, like these guys out there, they're training, they're standing on one leg, they're doing squats, they're doing all these different types of burpies and flutter kicks, and you know, it's all about the core, and you know it just crosses over. I've got friends in the specops community, Eric, and I know my listener wants to listen to you, and I'm fan boying over you, bro. But Brandon Webb, who runs this, you know, former Navy seal sniper, he's going to see.
Speaker 4: I know Brandon and read his you know, his early book and we met via his word, via the written words, is how we met.
Speaker 2: I love that he's getting ready to go to Shamanee. And before COVID hit, he went and did Big Mountain Heroes where he took veterans from where wherever they were at and he took them up to Shamane on soft Rep's dime, which is no easy task. And they had Nick Cahill, who's been on National Geographic as a videographer video of the whole thing. One awards Big Mountain Heroes. I just want to put it out there so that you know my listener hears that. And uh, I mean, bro, I got a snowboard right behind me on the wall. You got snowboards right behind you.
Speaker 3: I'm surround there in the front of me.
Speaker 4: It's like I'm I'm squeezed in by the memories and the nostalgia of my life because snowboarding gave me a path and I just make me feel good to have him around me, just like books.
Speaker 2: I love that. And so you went to college. Huh, so you chose the college path as a young man, and what did you chase in college? What was that exactly? That degree that you went after.
Speaker 4: I didn't necessarily chase college. I chased a goal to be a professional snowboarder.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 4: I went to one year of a community college, Palamar College, out in San Marcos, California. After high school, I graduated high school eighty seven, went to one year junior college. Didn't quite know what I wanted to do. Always loved reading, honestly, and IM were the magazines. International Snowboard Magazine was the mag at the time. It was the bible for snowboarders. And I decided I'm going to go and try and make it as a pro, and I moved to Breckenersh, Colorado. That was inspired by my mom, who died when I was seventeen from cancer, and she had told me, whatever last you know, when you know how it is with that with cancer, you know, eventually lose your speech and it becomes a fricking nightmare. But imagine a seventeen year old kid listening to his mom on her deathbed and she just said, you know, they worked a lot. My parents were entrepreneurs. She was a pharmacist, my dad was a CPA. They were retailers, and she just said, if there's anything you want to do in life, do it now because you never know about tomorrow. I mean they put off a lot for retirement and whatever. We're all behind the eight ball. And so that inspired me to go out there and I'm going to try and encapsulate a whole bunch and the shoot this route that took me to this whole thing.
Speaker 3: Worked at a ski shop, rode one hundred and.
Speaker 4: Twenty days that year, got sponsored, blew my knee out, and somewhere in there I met a travel writer on a chairlift when I had my season passed, and he started interviewing me about Breckinridge, like, where's the best happy hours? You know, where's the best place to grab a bike? Where can I find powder two days after the storm? You know, these kind of questions.
Speaker 2: In person podcast, Yeah, on a chair, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: And so he.
Speaker 4: Did this and then I turned around and said, you know, I eventually want to go to school. And this was before my injury and I and I just said, did you major in any what did you do? And he said, I major journalism and I worked for this newspaper. They sent me out here on assignment. I'm gonna I'm at the Beaver Creek Resort, which was a shanky lodge at the bottom of the hill at peak nine I think it is at Britain Breckenridge and free lift tickets.
Speaker 3: Write a story and I have all, what a scam.
Speaker 4: And that's when he said, you know, journalism, And so I blew my knee out. A couple of years later, after I was sponsored and got through that route and I thought, you know what, I'm gonna knuckle down. I'm gonna get my degree in journalism. I still want to be in this world of snowboarding. My goal is to be an editor and writer for ISM and went back to school and got the degree.
Speaker 3: ISM went out of business. I was crushed.
Speaker 4: And Transworld, I found out, was just an ocean side up up the road. And so I ended up finding a place at rental between Ocean Side and San Diego State in Encinitas and Cardiff by the Sea actually and got a place, and I would commute to school for the last classes, and I would commute north to trans World and ultimately work my way up to the ladder. And with F and A, I was able to see the world on someone else's dimes, snowboarding with my heros.
Speaker 2: You know, one of my I want to say, there's a cover of te Hay just bombing off of a cliff on the cover of the trans World. That was just one of my favorite photos of him just going just ham off this cliff, huge cliff.
Speaker 3: You probably I got the magazine right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a few years, right, and forgive me. I should have kept all these things of nostalgia from my skate shop. But I'll tell you this, I did one time get like this. This This card was inside of one of these business dealer magazines that came to my shop. And I was just young, sixteen year old Aaron sitting behind the shop one day and it's like fill this out and try to win something from Plan B or something like Girl Skateboards and so and so I get this skateboard in the mail after filling out that little postcard, right, and I open it up and and it's signed by Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, and it's got Guy Mariano on it and he's kicking a soccer ball with his little girl skateboard. And I just want to say that it's because of that magazine and that influenced my life as a skateboard shop owner as a young man trying to get these brands and trying to find what brand I can purchase to have in my area. It's because of you, bro, trans World transformed my life.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: I will tell Peggy Cousins and Larry Balma and Louise Balma and Brian Selstrom and all the people, Kevin Kinnear, Grant Britain, Dave Swift, all these names, skin Phillips.
Speaker 4: I mean, all these people would love to hear that. And you know what, it's pretty special. We had a reunion, a trans World reunion from all the magazines that they did not too long ago.
Speaker 3: And it did.
Speaker 4: I went in there and it was just kind of like it was just a feel good vibe of just standing in the middle of this aura of people that all had that similar experience, and some of the people I didn't know. It's like yeah, and it was kind of like when you're with a group of snowboarders from back in the Golden Age. It's kind of like what I've tried to tell people to explain. I'm like, I know you, but I don't know you, or I don't know you, but I know you, and it's because we all have that common thing and it made the world a little smaller place and you know that hand, that nod that whatever, you know.
Speaker 3: It it was a good thing.
Speaker 2: Well, you put friends of mine in the magazines, like Jason Brown, you know, I mean, you know I skated with him, yeah here in Utah.
Speaker 4: Well you you earlier mentioned a shot of Terrier with a huge cliff and I don't know if this.
Speaker 2: Is it or not that is it, but.
Speaker 3: That was a huge thing.
Speaker 4: And I just and I have I mean my you can kind of see if you look over this way. I mean, those those are all yeah magazine then up here in my wall.
Speaker 3: I mean, these are the history books of the sport.
Speaker 4: And I was able to pull them all out when it was time to circle back and.
Speaker 2: Tell me skate shop in a ninety three or ninety four backpage, if it's like local skate shops, you know how there was a list right.
Speaker 3: In snowboarding or in trans in the skateboarding was it?
Speaker 2: What did what? Did snowboarding have that or did?
Speaker 3: I thought they both they both did? They both did for sure. I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Baller, I'd be everywhere, bro.
Speaker 4: I mean the earliest ones this was I SM I told you, God, I know you might be too young.
Speaker 2: I love Yeah, No, that's legit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And Burt Lamar Vision Streetwear back cover when he you know, I mean just just.
Speaker 2: Is that a SIMS snowboard SIMS.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when Burt Lamar was on SIMS at first, and what I say, world champs like Burt Lamar. And that was during the period when Craig Kelly was in a legal dispute with SIMS because he dropped jump ship from SIMS went to Burton.
Speaker 2: With to Burton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all that, Yeah, it's all covered in the book, Not that I'm trying to sell a book, but.
Speaker 2: You know, well, well let's talk about your the darkest white you know what I mean, obviously you're you're deal. The arch is white to me is exactly what it is. It's like, you know, the snow's all white and then it's all dark. It's just gone. You know, it's just like to me, it's abby, it's you know, you can look up, you know the things about Craig Kelly and those that perished, you know, but tell me about Craig and what moved you to want to just tell the story of the Michael Jordan of snowboarding at the time of Michael Jordan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, exactly, he will. I mean, honestly, I have to. I can actually have a prop here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So take you to.
Speaker 4: The moment of that a catalyst. So this Craig Kelly is my co pilot. If you can see that. That was a sticker that was made by a kid in Utah the X Games the year when he died in two thousand and three, and it was you know, Craig was he was kind of like the compass that pointed the way for a lot of snowboarders in our generation. And I was fifteen years after his death, in a chairlift line taking my son snowboarding, and this kid in the lift line next to me, a kid who looks like he should know better, Like you know, he's in his twenties or whatever, but he's got his gears, gnarly boards chipped up, he rides a lot, and he looks down at that and just looks over says, who's Craig Kelly? And I just was floored because Craig Kelly was everything us and I realized at that point, Wow, the new generation doesn't even know who he is. And I didn't want him to be forgotten. And that's what made me decide I want to tell the story. Because I knew Craig personally just through magazine articles. We were friends. We weren't buddies, you know, like because he grew up with and whatnot, or the Mount Baker hardcore that he rode with at Mount Baker, right, but you know we were close. We spent time together, and anybody who spent time with Craig got to experience his He just has this aura and he was snowboarding's first professional.
Speaker 3: He was a guy who brought discipline and training.
Speaker 4: He worked his ass off with a four time world chain and that's what really makes him. I think the special ops communities would all appreciate Craig because he was that guy who kind of he was a child of adversity and a lot of special ops guys were and are. And so he had forced parents, last key kid. His dad ran a trucking business. There was times when he'd be home alone for weeks at a time. If something was going to happen in his life, he was going to make it happen. At the same time, he loved his parents. They loved him and just had to grow up a little bit early. And he rose up and he was smart. He was cerebral. He was going to the University of Washington majoring in chemical engineering. Just a bright guy, super smart, and then he decided two quarters shy of graduating.
Speaker 3: He started the university. By the way, he had moved up in school.
Speaker 4: He was seventeen years old his freshman year in college, so he was like the baby in a fraternity. So anyways, he he was this guy who decided, I think I can make it at the pro snowboarder in a sport that didn't even exist. Yet dropped out of college where he had this promising career to make a lot of money compared to you know, the near poverty that he grew up with and became an icon and it's just a great story and he inspired so many people. He was eloquent, he was smart, and he had this ethereal style that just it made him beautiful to wash no matter what he was doing, freestyle, half pipe, tricks, but especially cow plants, hand plants, and drek, especially especially though in powder. And he ultimately left, you know, turned and walked away from all of it and returned to the back country because he that was kind of where he felt snowboarding was most pure and where he he you know, he followed, he followed his bliss and decided, I'm going to go back into the back country and he ultimately became a was endeavoring to become a mountain guide at a time in his life when he was thirty six years old when he had kind of dropped off the map publicly, and the way I describe it, I know, I'm sorry, I'm an eighties kid, but he was the Obi Wan Kenobi of snowboarding, and that was who way this mysterious Misto soul snowsurfer, soulsurfing snowsurfer who but was always progressing inside and was tragically killed during his training to become the first snowboarding mountain guide for the ACMG Association of Canadian Mountain Guys, which is renowned around the world. You know they are, they are gnarly, they are like the top percent. Just like such, they actually.
Speaker 2: Trained to follow. Yeah, he gave others the wake that they could ride on to.
Speaker 4: He broke down the walls with the ACMG. He was the first snowboarder, split boarder that they allowed to even attempt their training certification process. And people to this day, the people who followed after in the first one, they always give credit to Craig.
Speaker 3: And so I want the world to know about Craig.
Speaker 4: I want everybody on the planet to know who Craig was, at least the snowboarders and the skiers. I don't want anybody to see a Craig Kelly is my co pilot sticker and say who's Craig Kelly.
Speaker 3: And that's my goal with this book.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. I have actually on my snowboard in my tuley right now. I have an I ride with Jake Sticker yeah on there, and I also do the I ride for others hashtag whenever I post up snowboard picks. It's like, you know, I have that mindset as well as I don't want to take it for granted. Yesterday I was traversing Milli Bowl with my wife and we take Milly at Brighton go all the way up, go in front of Milly Bowl and it was just straight shoots and ladders all the way down and I slid out for like, I don't know, five six seconds and I got all this slough at the base of my feet and I just come to a stop and I'm just like, oh man, I'm playing with I mean, like, I know, we avalanche bust up there and the ski patrol is really great at it, but I mean, you know, you just have this awareness all of a sudden, and my wife's above me. She's like, are you gonna slide down? Or are you gonna snowboard down? It's like, oh, I stood up. I was like, I'm snowboard down?
Speaker 4: What are you talking about? You didn't see anything? Isn't enough the droids you're looking for?
Speaker 2: No, dude, We're literally traversing. You know, what you look like would be powder, but it's wet and it's heavy. And I was talking crap to Millie the mountain as I was riding, and then she just stuck me in the snow and I said, all right. I was like, fair enough, Millie, all right, the.
Speaker 3: Mountain will put you in your place. Nature always wins.
Speaker 2: Always. I mean, if you're not ready and you're not alert and you're not aware of what's around you, you know, I'm like, give me, give me three second lead time to navigate myself, is what I'll say to her if we're writing, you know, give me three seconds the lead time, and then you come to me like kind of like that, and just make sure I don't go off a cliff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, do that. That's awesome. So that that is funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I taught my wife to snowboard now, six years ago. She learned at forty. Oh she's hard charger. She's faster than me. I thought. I was, like, oh, I grew up with Jason Brown and went to school with JP and all these different guys, and like, she's gone, I bet she.
Speaker 4: I bet she carves because they they learned the mechanics better, they're I mean, I don't want to throw, you know, hips grace graceful, and the mechanics and all comes together, and it's just it's a different look when you see a woman ride.
Speaker 3: They can ride anything that a guy can nowadays.
Speaker 4: And oh my god, if you look at the half pipe and everything, it's it blows my mind.
Speaker 3: There is there is.
Speaker 4: There is a even much more even play playing field now than it was when we started. But it's it's great, it's really honestly. The snowboarding has become like what skiing was. I don't know if you've noticed, but like the kids, a lot of the kids are winning to ski, so they rebel against their parents who were snowboarders. And Cody Townsend, who you know, the guy did the fifty project that you know, writing all the fifty best ski lines in the.
Speaker 3: World, and he's working on that amazing skier, nicest guy in the world.
Speaker 4: And I came to find out that his dad wrote a Craig Kelly are I sent him. I sent him a copy of the book a while back, and he said, you know, I think what would move on the early generation where my parents were both snowboarders, and I rebelled and said I want to ski, and and now he's like, you know, one of the most amazing world.
Speaker 2: I can't laugh at that. I started as a skier at Powder Mountain here in Utah, and with my skate shop, I was like, I gotta get on the snow first. I started as a cross country skier. I wanted to do the biathlon, so my father encouraged that and would train me to do cross country ski by athlon and he wanted to see me do it, so he's like, let's go do it. And then I liked the downhill part of skiing, and so I started downhill skiing, got some K two's and I bought my own boots, my own Nordica's psych hustling, and then I started riding at Powder Mountain and I'm sitting on the night ski lift and as we're going up at Powdered Mountain, I look over and there's a bonfire and I just see these snowboarders wearing surreals. Bro and he's just like up the stairs. He's like, I'll be right there, Bro, up the stairs. And I was like, I want to walk like that. I don't want to I don't want to wear robocot boots. Yeah, dead or alive. You're coming with me? Here, I come. You know what I'm saying, Dude, It's like I can't run. So from then on, I wrote a Burton split tail board that I had in my skate shop. That was I was trying to sell, but nobody wanted it because it was too old school.
Speaker 4: Was probably a Burton Elite black and red. Maybe it was yellow yellow, Oh, the yellow with like the pinky weird whatever it was lee tail. Yep, I remember, I know exactly the board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and having a skate shop allowed me access to people like getting rid of stuff that they didn't know they wanted, you know, back in the day. And I remember I had like this Burton twin tip demo board. It said demo in the bottom of the p tex stuff. Yeah, well I'll sell that.
Speaker 4: Well I'm just I mean, thirteen years old to be the entrepreneur and want to open a shop and stoke you know, you know, you probably I don't know, they probably weren't a lot of skaters, or maybe there were a lot of skaters, but there wasn't a shop.
Speaker 3: But whatever it was, dude, thirteen year old entrepreneur.
Speaker 4: You need to meet Ken Auchenbach and have him on your show someday because he opens the first snowboard shop in Calgary out of his parents' garage.
Speaker 2: That's basically a wee could talk, you know. I started selling grilled cheese sandwiches because kids were selling lemonade, and I would sell them for two bucks. And then my dad had a vending machine in his armory because he was an army guy, and he's like, well, I'm gonna feed all my guys when they come to drill, so I'll have a coke machine and a vending machine. And so we had some stuff in the garage and I would bring it outside and sell it, and i'd sell it right there on the corner and the kids would come and buy it from me. My dad's like, how much money did you make today? I was like thirty six bucks. He's like how much bread do you use? And I was like the whole loaf. He's like how much melvida? How much melvida? I was like, I don't know, maybe like half the brick of elvida. And he's like, well that costs four dollars, okay. And I was like all right, and he started busting out how much electricity cost, and how much the house that I lived in that, how's the food cost? And then he started telling me about you know, how much I made, and he's like, what'd you sell the diet cokes for? I said two for a dollar. Everything was fifty cents in the Vendom machine. It changed to sixty cents and I didn't realize it, and at the time it was breaking everyone's dollars, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You can't buy anything out of a venue machine for less than two bucks.
Speaker 2: Now, no, So I had to pay him back for the diet cokes and the Velveta, but he said I made enough off the bread that he let me keep it. And that's how I actually got my cross country ski poles. It was by hustling for money and he wanted to see me earn it, and that's how I got my in Ordica ski boots. Was hustling and then I said, hey, Dad, right here, there's a uh this distributor, Smoot Hill Distribution. It's called smoot Hill out of la Or California. I was like, let me fill this out and get me a business license. And he looked at me, and he's like, all right, So I took my one hundred dollars that I had saved up in my little cash register, gave it to him. He got me a business license, and then I applied to Smoot Hill and I started getting in skateboard but I couldn't afford a roll of tape. It was like eighty something bucks and I can afford like two skateboard decks. So I just started flipping skateboards. And then they'd go to the other skate shop that's in Ogden and he's like, where are you getting all these skateboards because he's grip taping them. He's not selling on the board, just the grip tape because I didn't have it. Yeah, but all my homies in the area were like, I'm buying ree boys skateboards from his garage. And so next thing, you know, my dad's like, we need to get you a little shop, and so we it's not my shows.
Speaker 4: What a great story, No, I mean, listen, I mean that's kind of I love story.
Speaker 3: I love people's stories. And that's and.
Speaker 2: So how you transitioning from snowboarding to military. My dad was fully supportive of that same culture. He was a Green Beret. He saw the whole awesome snowboarding, skiing, downhill, Nordic crossover. You know, he trained me in it.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, that's not I mean a lot of people they don't get it. They're like, where, where, how did this happen? And for me, you know, I, first of all, I always understood the wisdom of older people, and I would always listen to stories, and I was always interested in military history.
Speaker 3: And what really did the turn for me? Is?
Speaker 4: I mean after I after I graduated, after I worked for transport for many years and you know, saw the world went freelance and started. I wrote my first book called The Last Season, which was more kind of like a It's a story of a backcountry ranger who went missing while on patrol. He was a guy who everybody went to when someone went missing, and then one day he went missing and they had to find him. It's a great it's an awesome story. Again, The Last Season, it's uh call. It's takes place in Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park and it kind of tells the story backstory of the history of national parks and seasonal park rangers they called you know, they called them. I think they called them like three month wonders or things because they would worked just that season area time of year. But anyways, so there was that book and then uh nine to eleven happened, and around that same period of time, I always again loved military history.
Speaker 3: I had a neighbor who was a Vietnam VET when I was a kid.
Speaker 4: I was the last key kid, so I would go and toss the football around with him. He would show me his old photo albums. He showed me this shot I remember one time of a helmet that I actually I didn't have one. I got all sorts of crap here because I like it, but I mean, I love it even I have a you know, old school Vietnam era help it. And he had a picture of his that had a huge dent on the side where he had been side swiped by by a friendly fire by a missile and that's what took him out of the war. But he had been a tunnel rap who was the guy that went in with the you know, the pistol, And you tell me all these stories and I was just rapped by it. And so my mom and dad they subscribed to Time Life books and I read the whole history of the Vietnam War, you know, tet offensive and you know the military zone and the you know Cambodia and the Hochiman Trail. I mean, I learned all this stuff at a very young age. It was fascinated by it and read the Battle of Midway. So I had that base of respecting the military, loving the history, loving the stories, and then saving Private Ryan came out and Band of Brothers and the kind of the storyline that was going with those movies and.
Speaker 3: Those shows and things with the World War two vetts.
Speaker 4: At that point, we're getting old and a lot of them didn't talk about it, and a lot of their stories were dying with them. And so fast forward to after nine to eleven, I just you know, looked at what was going on. I've been telling these adventure stories and snowboarding and having a good time, enjoying this life we have in America, right, and I thought, you know, the War on Terror happened. I got married three days after nine to eleven. It was like a celebration, you know, it was kind of like the ultimate few to terrorism.
Speaker 3: No life goes on. We've got this wedding plan and we're going to party and.
Speaker 4: I just thought, you know, this is our this is history happening right now, and this is our current, this is our current, greatest generation. And a lot of people, these guys are coming back and women, and they're not talking about it either. You know, it's war, it's shitty and yeah, and so I just do yeah, And so I just thought, what can I do?
Speaker 3: What's my part in this? I didn't serve the military at that point.
Speaker 4: I mean at the age when I would have wanted to, I was so far from wanting to do that. But I always had a great respect for it. I always say thank you for your service when I see somebody. And I know some people can have a problem with that whatever, but I'm sorry when I see old guys with their caps on and their you know whatever, but you know shift they were on or whatever. I walk up and my kids see you walk up. And one of the proudest moments is not too longo. Like, you know, my sixteen year old daughter, when she was probably thirteen, at an airport, walked up on her own to this old gentleman and then sitting down with a hat and thanking for a service.
Speaker 3: And I thought, what a moment.
Speaker 2: The fact that you said, we live in America and you get to do all this is like, what the thank you? I think that service members are cool with bro the fact that you said, we live in America, we get to do this. Yeah, we live here.
Speaker 4: It's and also, I mean, you look at this whole community. I'm sorry, but I have I've traveled around the world. I've snowboarded in Iran. I've been to Russia and snowboarding and skiing and skateboarding.
Speaker 3: All these companies started in like America.
Speaker 4: They and those guys, I've talked to them, and they're and they and the and that I have a great skier, addicted most diehard skier ever that lived in the in the projects outside of Moscow.
Speaker 3: And he would always just say, I you know, we didn't.
Speaker 4: Have companies because their leaders are free, couldn't make this happen anyway.
Speaker 2: We can say, that's how it is. They get to say what they want. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, he always tell me their subways and their infrastructure is beautiful, marble statues, amazing. I took the Trans Siberian Railway from China through Manchiia all the way across Siberia to Moscow with my girlfriend at the time of wife now and got to experience some of that, and a lot of kids haven't been able to do that.
Speaker 2: No, you're not. I still see you seem to move it for me, So.
Speaker 3: That's an issue, are you okay? Okay okay.
Speaker 4: So anyways, going back to why I decided to write these stories, that was really it. I really decided to write these stories, these military stories, because I figured that's my part in all this. I can tell the stories. I can do it, you know, being a fairly moderate. Not that they moderate exists anymore.
Speaker 3: You're not. You're either fast, you're far right or far left.
Speaker 2: There's no like, you can't be just like.
Speaker 4: There's no in between. But but I thought of myself. I thought of myself as being pretty moderate. But I also thought of myself as someone who I just want to tell the story from the perspective of the guys and or women on the ground. And that's what I wanted to do. That's what I endeavored to do, and I thought, this is how I can honor and be, you know, do something for my places. So I stepped away from all that fun and actresss whatever, and I'm going to find a story to tell that will document our current generations of warriors.
Speaker 3: And it started with the only thing We're dying for.
Speaker 4: I went and sat in on a class of at the time of the major, but after nine to eleven he was a captain of an Oda five seven four Jason Amern found out that he had been the military advisor.
Speaker 3: For Hamid Karzai president and who became the president.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the most I look back and I'm my way, this is the most geopolitically significant SF mission probably of all time, because that is what they do, right. They go in, they foment a rebellion among a group, overthrow whatever the.
Speaker 3: Bad guys, which I agree were the bad guys.
Speaker 4: The Taliban were bad guys for sure, and within the postumee he wanted he was. They went into the south. Everybody else, the original horseholders went in with the Northern Alliance, and they went in with standing armies of you know, people who were warriors. They had been fighting the mujah haden early on against Russia and everything. He went in with this unknown statesman and basically when once they found out this small under strength, ohda, there's only eleven instead of twelve, they went in and.
Speaker 2: There was a you're talking about horse that's what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm talking this is This is the group I rode about within the South. They're all considered the horsemen that era because they went in, But these guys didn't ride horses.
Speaker 3: They were in the South and they rode trust I.
Speaker 2: Was going to say, I interviewed the commander of the horseman, who was the guy that taught them how to ride the horses?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean, there's totally anyways, that was my first deal.
Speaker 3: I went in. I met this guy. He was teaching at west Point.
Speaker 4: He was teaching Arabic at West Point, and she kind of liked the fact that I was not a New York Times or Wall Street journal like political writer. I had no I had no spin, I had no angle, I had nothing going Paul political.
Speaker 3: I just said I want to tell the story. And he had read my book the.
Speaker 4: Last Season, and he thought it was cool that I was a snowboarder and worked for a snowbeary magazine. And he said, if you go and talked to the family members of the guys on my team who did not survive, and they're into letting you tell the story, he said, I'll tell you everything I can, you know, aside from TTP's and whatever. And he had kept scrupulous notes of his conversation with Carsie and everything I did.
Speaker 3: Daniel H.
Speaker 4: Pedatory and Daniel Age Pedatory was in Cheshire, Massachusetts, and Donnie Davis JD was from Oh my gosh, Tennessee. And I went to there and I talked to their families and this. They said, I would love it if you tell their story. And when I left it was really cool. I mean for me, I never whole punch it. I mean, I tell the story like it happened. And at first I was it was tough. I'm like, I'm going to learn things about these guys. This was battle and there was a friendly fire incident that happened.
Speaker 2: This is not really friendly, right the joke about friendly fire is it not really friendly when you're getting shot?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is that that person shot? How's that friendly?
Speaker 3: It's blue on blue. But this was a friendly fire incident.
Speaker 4: This is friendly fire in the fact that, if you can imagine, a staff element came in and decided they wanted to call some jay dam bombs in and they called it a two thousand pounds jay damn in on their own position and so it was horrible. It was all mass, casular situation. But Pedatory, Daniel H. Pedatory, was the radio man, and so the parents were always kind of wondering, like was he the guy that called it in?
Speaker 3: They were kind of curious, and I went and stayed with them.
Speaker 4: I went to Cheshire, the classic New England town where the in the Berkshires, where the tallest building is the church steeple, I mean, classic town, white buildings, visited his graves, slept in his bedroom as as a boy that he slept in as the boy. They showed me, you know, where he would be up in the window and snipe at his buddies with a baby gun.
Speaker 3: All these great stories.
Speaker 4: And after I left his dad, well, the first night we got there, they were really nervous, and we started with a few beers and then went to the whiskey bottle and then we opened up. We walked talked until like three in the morning, and then the next day we checked. I hung out for a few days and then when I was leaving, he said, Eric, I know you're going to do a great job.
Speaker 3: Just do me one favor.
Speaker 4: And he's telling me this while he's shaking my hand, one of those long, maybe a little bit uncomfortable, overly long handshakes, pulled in tight, and he just says, tell it like it happened. He said, Dan believed in accountability, and I don't know exactly what happened. I'm hoping that you'll find out, but I want to know, and we just want it, he said. Don't candy coat everything, you know, don't make him an a stud. And if he was, you know, really a C plus student, you know, I mean, jel it like it happened. And that was such an amazing thing for me as as a young writer, to kind of have that permission and say, hey, these people just want to know what happened. They don't necessarily want they don't want this, you know, propaganda. They don't want something that's going to just kind of necessarily elevate their sons. They want to be respectful, respectful of course, but they want to know the truth. And that set the stage for every one of my books thereafter. And I that's what I've been able to do. I've always just thought, you know what, at the end of the day, I can always stand on the truth, and I know what where every line comes in my books I know, if someone asked me, why do you put this there, I will tell them if there's a hole in my book, sorry, because I've always told people when I get to talk to students occasionally, now i'll tell them. In nonfiction, you know, you're going to kind of find places where you cannot feel a you know, a certain aspect of the story, and don't make it up. It's better to have a little hole in your story than to feel it with bullshit.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, it's just it's to me.
Speaker 4: It's just been an honor to tell these stories and and and each one has led to the next. I mean, Adam Brown, you know, came after that. And then I told the story of Roy Benavitez, the Medal of Honor recipient.
Speaker 3: You don't win a Medal of Honor, of course, being a civilian.
Speaker 4: And I learned that, right, yeah, you're you're, yeah, you're a recipient.
Speaker 3: So some people said he won the Medal of Honor, and they will look.
Speaker 2: At you and say they don't really want it.
Speaker 3: They don't want that.
Speaker 4: No, And so anyways, I just was able to get into this community that appreciated it, and I thought, what I can do that maybe somebody who is writing a memoir that is in deep in these worlds, maybe they can't make it quite as accessible to the general public. And honestly, the general public needs to read these stories. And so I feel like I can help. I was able to help bridge that gap, be respectful and you know, inspire people with the things people have overcome, the.
Speaker 2: Things that people will read that you write, like Business Magazine hopefully, or like you or like this, Yeah, Craig Kelly, the darkest white right, because it's real.
Speaker 4: It's real, it's real stuff, and I and it is, you know, the one I think the nicest compliment I ever got from another from a special Ops guy when actually Green Gray where he said, dude, I read this book and you're a civilian and you weren't there, and as I read this story, I felt like I was there beside those guys. And he said, that is a credit to you, and thank you. He said, the terminology was great, And you explained what my mom or dad this guy had, you know, parents said I want my parents to read this because they can help explain to them what I do in a way that I can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and sometimes it takes an outside perspective to bring it to table, right, you don't have you know, the guys are so in that world all the time, and they're so jaded all of the acronyms and everything that goes on, and they just say these things to each other like mos or or you know whatever the acronym is, and civilians are like, what is that? You know, it's a whole other world. So to have you come into that world and be able to decipher these code words and bring it to a story and then deliver it in a way that is based off of the reality of what these guys went through, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: I was crazy acronym challenged. I mean, these guys would start talking. I would have to say, whoa, whoa, whoa. You just said three things and I have no idea what you just said?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's a partow down? What's a forward? That er refueling? Wait? What's a fob at a at a fact at a de fact? Is that where we eat? Wait?
Speaker 4: And it was cool too, like as I got into it, I mean early on, actually I did. I was embedded with with a platoon of army rangers up to do a magazine article.
Speaker 2: I want to do that time.
Speaker 4: I got to do it in nineteen ninety nine before like nine to eleven, and it.
Speaker 3: Was that kicked my ass.
Speaker 4: At the end of this thirty six hour I was literally pissing blood. I mean, the guy out in the field gave me an ivy to rehydrate me.
Speaker 3: I was I thought I was in shape.
Speaker 4: I thought I thought that I was in shape, but I was in civilian shape.
Speaker 3: I wasn't in Korean War era shape. Rock shape. Yeah, it was. It was crazy. But the what was kind of cool about following that.
Speaker 4: I loved the Ranger history and you know, point to Hawk and I went, I've gone to Normandy went there to check that out and see those cliffs, and it was cool.
Speaker 3: Like when nine to eleven happened.
Speaker 4: Early on some of the original like you know, grainy footage of a ground operation was an airfield with men.
Speaker 3: They showed the parachutes.
Speaker 4: Coming down all this, and it was on the news and it didn't say who it was or whatever. They said, American forces are coming in, and I remember leaning over to my girlfriend saying, those are Rangers. They specialized in airfield seizures. And like two days later they said we've come to find out that the group that whatever with army rangers than Michael, like, I was like a hero to my buddy. They're all, how did you know that? I'm like, because that's what they do. They do and and you know, I don't know. It's just it's it's fascinating to me. And it's a way of showing, you know, know a little bit of it of our the different unit's history, you know everything from Dale presso Leb to whatever. It's just, you know, it's nice to know your country's history. And the people would give us this world. I'll circle back to it again. I love it. And and Craig by telling Craig's story, he really lived that as well. And he was a guy who had friends who from all walks of life. He had a guy one of his closest mentors had escaped Czechoslovakia and was huge on personal freedoms, and so he had friends on that were a very on the red side of the spectrum and the blue side both and he was this guy that just could always see the good in both sides.
Speaker 3: He was somebody that would have flourished.
Speaker 4: And not lost friends during the COVID fiasco when people are being so divided. He really could bridge the gap. And that's another special thing about Craig Kelly. So he I don't know, it's just time to tell his story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's awesome. We need more people like that that can just bridge the gap and just be like, hey, look you know, just yea yeah.
Speaker 4: No, he he could do that, and I think you know, people respected him.
Speaker 3: First of all.
Speaker 4: He was really smart and he could look at everything, but he would His widow, Savina would say how he had this I'm paraphrasing her, this amazing ability to look at a person and kind of see the good in them or the whatever, you know, and focus on that and not necessarily define them by something that you might perceive as not so good.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's not how she said it.
Speaker 4: She said it much more eloquently, but she and she noticed that in Craig as well, and we need more people like that.
Speaker 3: We need more people like he just had.
Speaker 2: He had the ability to just see them like see something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well he was an ambassador. Yeah, I mean he was an ambassador of snowboarding. When people win. You know, skiers hated snowboarders or you know, so everybody thought and so it was fun.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, it was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was both and that's what you.
Speaker 3: Want to do. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: I love honestly at this point, what I love is that whoever is out in the mountains in nature, enjoy outside with the kids, with their wife, with their friends, whatever. Just get out there and to do something that's fun. Go for a hype in nature, for a hike, yeah, or swimming even better like nowadays, I don't care splipboard through my splipboard on. Go hike for two hours and get one run and I'm like my heart is.
Speaker 3: Full for a week.
Speaker 2: You earn those turns though. When you split board. You know, for those of you that may not know what split boarding is, it's where you take a snowboard and you saw it down the middle and you put the bindings forward, and then you put these skins on the bottom of them that strap on, and then they slap on the bottom, and then you start to cross country ski uphill because you've got some grip. And then you get to the top and then you take your skis that were split and you put them together and they got latches and then they latch together and now you can turn your binding sideways. And you can go down the mountain like the rest of us sideways, right, Yes, you're just to break that.
Speaker 4: Grow up as a crossair, that Nordic mentality of going up and walking up the mountain and going down without sinking down to your knees or whatever. And post holing makes it much less tedious and more energy to go down. And so you're basically across the sphere on the way up in a snowsurfer on the way down and almost you know, so many companies now there were kits originally that you could do exactly what you said the middle now with Jones Snowboards, Burton winter Stick, everybody, all of these they have.
Speaker 2: I think there's a Nitros splip for too.
Speaker 3: The very first with a Nitros split.
Speaker 4: And honestly, I my favorite article in transport was when I I don't know if you remember It's a Chameleon, where I poached all the scary that didn't allow snowboarding bottle lift ticket at Keystone. That was me well with my altar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, you're like, I'm gonna go ride these places with your splits.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna, I'm gonna it was when the first split came out, I have never I still have never skied in my life.
Speaker 3: I've been somewhere in since eighty three ish.
Speaker 4: And but that board came out and I thought, you know, they're hard boots.
Speaker 3: They look like skis.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go buy a lift ticket and all these these few dinosaur resorts that don't allow snowboarding to get in the on the lift, I'm gonna go to the top of the busiest run, I'm gonna pop into the trees. I'm gonna turn it back into a snowboard, and I'm gonna ride down the center and I'm gonna ride as many runs as i can until the stroll tackles me and kicks me off.
Speaker 3: And I did it at Three Mountains, the first.
Speaker 2: Rocket skis, rocket skis, I got them.
Speaker 3: It was great. I got to I got to be a I got to be a spy.
Speaker 4: I basically created all of your guys said that we hired a spy named the Chameleon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you blended.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's how I did it. And then I did Park City the next year. I called it irony in the washouts because at that point they did not allow snowboarding, but they were bidding for the Olympic snowboarding, you know.
Speaker 2: And they said that we were going to get it unless you know, one of the ski resorts here. I don't want to give them credit for who they are. They're a town in Utah. I don't want to call them their name because they won't allow snowboarding. You can hike it, but they will allow you to go up there, you know, And I just find that to be unfair. And back in the day, Jake Burton was like, we're boy, you know, the Olympic should be boycotted until you know snowboarding is allowed at that specific resort.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, I know, I know exactly what you're talking about. And Toos, New Mexico, I rode Taois before anybody else. There was a little free towist movement.
Speaker 2: I mean Snowbasin didn't allow snowboarding. My wife asked me, and I can't come up with an answer of why I'd never snowboarded at Basin. And I grew up. I went to Powder Mountain in Nordic Vality, my backyards up there and in the northern Utah area, and I was like, oh, they didn't allow snowboarding. I was like that's what it was for a while, think about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, And I mean in the very beginning, I get it, like when the equipment was as horrible as it was, and literally it was questionable if could could turn left right and stop on a dime and not hit each somebody. But that was in the very beginning. It didn't once high back bindings came into play and steel edges. It was there was no difference between the out of control danger zone of a beginning at the beginning snowboard, you know. Yeah, so there's all these things that were you know, at play. But and then there's a mad River Glen on the East coast. You know, they have that little spumper sticker that says mad River Glenn ski it if you can. I know a guy his name with Greg Saladino, and he is kind of an inventor, just a genius guy, and he wrote made his own play on that and made sticker that said mad River Glenn.
Speaker 3: I'd write it if I could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exact exactly, you know, that's exactly it. That's so great. I love it, and I love snowboarding. And I know I've had you for almost an hour of your time and and we've talked about, you know, the Darkest White, which is the Craig Kelly story. And uh, he's an extreme athlete US snowboard champion. Uh And and I mean that he won the US Championships here, right, and so.
Speaker 4: For you were the four time you know, world champions and seven times in various disciplines back in the eighties and nineties. Basically, Craig Kelly was the Sean White of the eighties and nineties. Everybody out there knows who Shawn White is, right or Chloe Kimp. You know who these writers are? Now who are these olympians that are on the tip of every ones Mark mc morris at that point, Yeah, exactly. I like it to anybody out there who Travis Rice?
Speaker 2: I got to say that hard. I gotta say, Travis Rice. Oh, how can I not talk about the Navy Seal of snowboarding with that? Bringing up Travis Rice. I mean, the guy literally has a TV of the terrain, what is underneath it, and the lines that should be not ran and all of the things that you do for like a combat mission. He is pre planning a year in advance to drop what he drops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dude, he is another very cerebral writer who has a a.
Speaker 3: Gift for terrain.
Speaker 2: I write five wide and I'm six foot five, Okay.
Speaker 4: I I should write a Wow, you're six five?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? And I ride a one fifty seven but I like it.
Speaker 3: You ride one fifty seven and you're six ft five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I write.
Speaker 3: It's five nine and a half on a good day.
Speaker 4: And I have a hard time being old school going below one sixty two.
Speaker 2: I told what I do, I should probably ride like.
Speaker 3: I'm reading. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I used to carry Avalanche snowboards. They were this brand and uh, I know Bavalanche, and there was like a one back country. It was super tall. I was like, how am I ever going to sell that?
Speaker 3: That thing was huge? You know.
Speaker 4: I have some of those old boards as well, and yeah, I don't need them that long. And honestly, it is true nowadays the shorter boards with the effective running edge and the length and everything, you know, especially a camera board, you don't necessarily need the length. I'm like, a one fifty eight is kind of should be my k board. I think I just like to have the river for the book tour. I'm this whole book tour to honor Craig, I'm leaving. Literally, I don't know when you're gonna able to put this up, but I'm you know, my book tours starting on the twenty six is the first day of the book tour in Boulder, Colorado, and then I get to go to Edwards and Running.
Speaker 3: Vale and Big Sky.
Speaker 4: I will come to Utah eventually. In fact, I'm gonna be on Uh. Can I say another podcast?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: The bomb hole? The bomb Yeah, the bomber, Yeah, the bomb Hole. Those guys are awesome.
Speaker 2: As long as they say my podcast softw Rep.
Speaker 4: You say what you should be on the bomb hole. I'm not kidding. No, you should be on the bomb hole. Your your history and everything and your whole vibe. Oh, snowboard, you are the epitome of snowboarding right there. And I can't believe you're in Utah and that you're not on that, that you're not on not that I believe they're not in Utah. I can't believe you're in Utah and haven't been on the bomb hole yet. No, No, you should.
Speaker 2: I've hosted a Brighton, been the MC for those things like we had the Wizards Festival for Slug Magazine out here and all that stuff, and yeah, you know the bomb hole is awesome. They bring their limo out and everybody loves to ride for them, and like you know, baby Kangaroo or Joey Fava, he's out here. Pat just won the X Games. Uh freestyle there.
Speaker 4: I'm going to do a call in for the book at some point here next week for them, like a Tony McCollugh. And at some point I'm gonna I want to get out there and do it and event to get back out to you.
Speaker 2: We have to together one day, bro, oh.
Speaker 3: For sure, you kidding me? Apri or afternoon and then are.
Speaker 2: Exactly well, we can go to the new Snake Creek lodge that just open called Sidewinder at Brighton and have the Doyles come over and just have something to eat, some chicken strips.
Speaker 4: That's perfect. Now, it's it's gonna be a really fun man. I'm honestly right now my biggest decision. It's pretty funny. But I'm going on this book tour and the best thing you can do to honor Craig Kelly. First of all, it would be amazing if it hit a bestseller list. You know, that would be awesome for Craig because he was such a competitive guy once upon a time, and I'm competitive myself, so I hope everybody out there might consider picking up a coffee. But in addition to that, best way that I could do, the best way I could honor Craig is to go on a book tour and snowboard everywhere I go.
Speaker 3: And so right now my.
Speaker 4: Biggest question is I'm putting together my little quiver and I like.
Speaker 3: To have one.
Speaker 4: I'd like, you know, one board generally, but my quiver is that I'm gonna bring that board that started this whole process that I showed you, a Burton Juice Wagon from twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: It's got a narrow tail, a little hot wider in the shovel for pow.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 4: It's a great board for carving. I'm riding Jones Stratos. It's amazing. And and then I have my one fifty eight rob Kingwell Winterstick.
Speaker 3: It's the arc.
Speaker 4: And so those are my three boards and I'm gonna bring on this trip. And it's funny because I packed them like a week ago.
Speaker 2: You're ready now, I'm ready sleeping over there like up at five thirty in the morning, all dressed in their bed ready to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 4: My friends actually called me Fireball when I was I was a kid knocking on windows at five am down patrol surf with them. Yeah, let's go, dude, it's five am. I'm all, we want to get there early.
Speaker 2: And you already have like a couple like hot topl or coffee goal. You're like, what are you doing? Let's go?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah for sure, Yeah, let's I mean you're burning daylight. You can sleep when you're dead exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I think that is the best way to go out on the show is that if you're burned out, you'll sleep when you're dead. So don't give up until then. And then second you go check out The Darkest White, the book written by Eric blem and the life story of Craig Kelly. And you know how he was a hard charger. He's got more.
Speaker 4: It is a it's a survival story like The Perfect Storm, only in the mountains.
Speaker 3: Yes, well that part will Rocky World.
Speaker 4: It's a cautionary tale, but it's it's an inspiring story. Like I was saying, I think I think that this community would love it. And I'm just dope that you can lets some people know about it. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I can't, we will, we shall, And it's going to have a little link on there too that my guys will dissertate down there when they type it out and listen to it and listen to what we talk about, and Anton and Mark and Brandon and all you guys that listen to these podcasts after I record them. I want to thank you for all your effort that you put into making these shows the number one rated podcast. You tell me it is, you tell me it's number one, guys. I'm behind the scenes, so I'll keep it going. And with that, I just want to say check out our book club soft rep dot com Forward slash hyphen book Club Right now, we're running promos on softwap dot com, So make sure you're going over there and visiting us, and make sure you're checking out you know, Eric Blem's books and his life stories that he's putting out there for us. And if you can find an old copy of trans World Snowboarding, go look it up. I think there's probably digital formats of it out there online that you could probably find and.
Speaker 4: Just see what it's everything. It's an audio. It's electronic everything nowadays. Are you kidding me? It's in every single format you can find. Fearless readers. The fearless will love it. And I just want to do one final shout out. You're going to get the last word, but I just want to say, you know, thank you all the listeners.
Speaker 3: You know, a lot of you have worn their uniform. I never did, but I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you all for what you've done and your family sacrifices for the rest of us that we can live this freaking awesome life that we get to live here, and that's the fascination of America.
Speaker 3: Thank case.
Speaker 2: So my last word is to my veterans who have served, who can go to the VA to ask their doc or for recreational therapy. Okay, go to them and say, hey, can you please prescribe me something other than pills? So let's get thrills before pills. Okay. So if you can go outside, get prescription for a snowboard, get a prescription for some snowshoes, get a prescription for some roller blades, go do that, a skateboard, whatever it is, you know, go outside, enjoy yourself. Ask your VA representative for recreational therapy. You think I'm joking, but those dudes that lose their legs that ride in buckets down the mountain are getting recreational therapy. It's a thing, Okay, So get out there, enjoy yourself, touch some water and just live life to the best. Okay, And eric On behalf of everybody here. Brandon Webb, who's a hard charge of skier, he probably will be thrilled to know that I had this conversation with you. Thank you so much for being on our show, Soft Reap Radio, and I will say peace
Speaker 1: Listening Sylph Red Radio