Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have.
Speaker 2: Because for the first time in your life, you're making a decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host with Sean McDonald.
Speaker 1: Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success.
Speaker 2: For you and maybe the.
Speaker 1: Size of your h It's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own.
Speaker 2: Keep winning.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, this is RAU Sean mcdonne, Thank you. It's my new opening. It's my new opening. I'm bringing drama, I'm bringing entertainment. I'm letting everybody know. It's time to understand your opportunities. If you understand your opportunities, then you can under set goals. If you set goals, then you can start making dreams come true. But the dreams come true based on hard work, and also the dreams come true through based on relationships, based on who supports your dreams, and a lot of people don't understand that they think they can just get it done through prayer, faith. That's part of the process. But the word hard work is consistent in that storyline, and that hard work comes with a proper plan. And that proper plan we're talking about things on Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Is you're trying to be an entrepreneur, a small business, a person who is running a nonprofit. What is that plan and what is that budget? Well, my show, which is really taking off since I've been here in the city of Atlanta, and allow people to come on the show and tell their ideas, talk about their dreams, and talk about things that will make you win. Not necessarily every guest that comes on my show is about a small business. I worry about your health, both mentally and physically. My next guest is about your health. My next sess is a registered dietitian NUTRITIONNIS and Gut and Gut that's gut health and anti inflammatory therapists with over eighteen years of experience in the field of nutrition. She holds bachelor's degrees in exercise science and dietetics dietetics and a master's degree in food and nutrition science. Please welcome to Money making conversation Master Clans Joanne Filman, How you doing, Joanne?
Speaker 3: I'm good.
Speaker 1: How are you well, Joan? You know you had a lot of titles going on there. Okay, I had to get through them because I want people to know I'm talking to an authority, because a lot of people out there, you know, they're shutting up shop with these certificates and just going on by their business and telling you they can make it happen for you. Is we see a lot of commercials out there, what exactly is your position as a registered dietitian nutritionists?
Speaker 3: So as a registered dietician nutritionist, we are titled as the authority in nutrition in the United States. So when you see someone who is a registered dietitian and you know for sure that they have had they have degrees, at least a bachelor's degree. Now it's become master's required program. Know that we've had training and and and in the clinical setting prior to sitting for a board exam to pass that board exam and be able to call ourselves registered dietitian nutritionists. So you know that for sure about someone who has that title.
Speaker 1: Well, you know the thing about it because when I hear it. This is the when I ask questions. You know, I google things and get information. But when I hear first of all, registered, I know a registered nurse, okay, so I know there's something tied to that. Then I hear the word diet and I hear the word nutritionists in your title. So let's start with dietitian. What is what? What what is the role of that being in your title?
Speaker 3: So it's basically, I'm I have a private practice. So in my private practice, what I do is I help people live their best health healthful life. So right, whatever of sat it at your health status currently is, I will help optimize that. Maybe most likely because I specialize in inflammation or anti inflammatory therapy. My goal is to remove inflammation so that you can live your best life. So that the term the word dietrician. We used to just be called registered dietitians, but people were confused, like are you just about diets? Are you a nutritionist? So then we added a few years back to nutritionists to it, so people can know that we are registered dietitian nutritionists, so we know all aspects of nutrition.
Speaker 1: Now this word is coming up because I just want to know when I had the word inflammation, Like, right now, my.
Speaker 2: Left knee is inflamed, So.
Speaker 1: I'm just asking would I come to you for that or that's just a different platform when you talk about inflammation.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you can come to me for that, but when you come to me, I'm going to make sure that we have ruled out anything acute that's going on, anything serious is going on. Have you seen your primary care physician? Have you seen an orthopedis who have you seen before prior you know, prior to seeing me. So with inflammation, you can have inflammation in your need that's related to your diet, absolutely, but you know, inflammation is not always a bad thing. Inflammation is how our body lives. So you know, if we didn't have inflammation, we would actually die. It's when that inflammation doesn't go away. So inflammatory markers are sent out to heal a cut that you have, for example, and you know the markers are supposed to go down after the healing process has occurred. And if those inflammatory markers continue to stay elevated and they sit there and they just you know, low grade inflammation just keeps setting in, then that's when that chronic inflammation sets in. And that's what we don't want to happen.
Speaker 1: Now when I when I look at the whole diet industry, you know, you know, first of all, the whole education process here haveing you on that show on my show, because you know first quarter year, you know, dying and work out training, and that's when people you know, they they're out there trying to jog or doing bikes or trying to lose weight or trying to work out. They hadn't worked out in years. Those needs to start talking to you. That's where the information comes in. Okay, why are you in that bike while you are treadmiller going up hills and you hadn't even done that in years. In stretch, that's the big thing. People don't stretch how That's part of the problem on a lot of injuries that people get is how they prepare the process of getting in shape correct right, right, And when they don't do it right, then they're gonna come to you with inflammatory And you got to figure out why they inflamed correct.
Speaker 3: Right, So they could be inflame for a measure of things. So it could have been overuse of medications over the years that that's antibiotics or even birth control pills. That have to cause some kind of damage to their gut. It could have been a viral infection, right, bacterial section, something that damaged the gut. And now that damage the gut is starting to spread elsewhere in the body where you're noticing it. In your knees, you're noticing you have that brain fog. You can't think straight, you're tired all the time, and you don't know why even though you've had eight plus hours of sleep. So that gut health, balancing your gut health is quite important because if it's imbalanced, it starts manifesting in other aspects of your body.
Speaker 2: And what is gut health? Do you tea health?
Speaker 3: So gut health is basically keeping your gut health the bacteria, the good bacteria that are in your gut balanced. So for most people, it means consuming a diet that's mainly plant based. That doesn't mean you're vegan. It just means that majority of the food that you're eating seventy five percent or more are mainly plant based foods that are very colorful. So we're getting all those nutrients and vitamins and minerals and antioxidants from those foods. Now, if you're doing all that, and you still notice that there's issues going on. It most likely maybe that you have some kind of inflammation that's going on that you don't realize. And then so that's my job. That's when I go in and I dig deeper, because oftentimes people are coming to me and they're like, Joanne, I eat well. I you know, I eat all the good foods I'm supposed to eat, but I still feel this way. And it could be something happened that damaged your gut and now your gut health is not where it should be at and you're intolerant to foods that we quote unquote call healthy foods, and we need to figure out what those foods are so that I could create a therapy that's specific to you and we can reverse this inflammation.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm afraid this is the first time I've ever heard gut health. Yeah, I've heard of food. You've got a good you know, in a negative manner. You know, they're good on you, you know, But you're telling me there's such a thing as goot health, and where your gut health is treated through the food that you eat will impact your lifestyle. That's what you're telling me in this interview.
Speaker 3: Correct, that is correct. So just like you people think of gut health and they think, oh, my stomach is slacked. I don't have a gut what are you talking about. So your gut health is your digestive health. Okay, so we call it your digestive health. So how your digestive system is functioning impacts how the rest of your body is functioning. If you're not absorbing the food that you need to be absorbing properly, then your body is not being fed because those nutrients are not being absorbed to feed the rest of your body. So you'll see people who are iron deficient, have anemia, may have some kind of gut damage going on. Even diabetes, there are studies coming out I'm linking diabetes to get health.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And this really is an interesting scenario because of the fact that when we go go back through I've read earlier in your entrol eighteen years of experience in the field of nutrition and antiflammatory a therapist, and then also gut health. And when I when I and I'll be honest with you, when I heard the word gut I just immediately went to we won't talk about how to flatten your stomach. That's why I went, you know, and you're telling me we're just gonna stop. That's not what we're talking about here. We're not talking about trying to get a six pack. We're not talking about getting the flat stumb. We're talking about eating correctly because of how your gut health affects you.
Speaker 3: Correct absolutely, absolutely, and weight loss could be a goal. Some people come to me because they've been trying to lose weight for years and it's not working, and it's because your gut is not functioning right. So I always tell people my focus is not weight loss. My focus is removing inflammation, and weight loss is going to be a side effect of what we're doing because once everything starts working as it should, then we're going to see that weight loss of Curry. I have athletes come to me as well who are at the level in their career, but they're looking to remove inflammation so that they can, you know, go to the next level and what they're you know, in their sports, well, you know.
Speaker 1: I have a question that came in and this here's the question. Are taking pro u P pro biotics and prebiotics good?
Speaker 3: Yes, they can be good. So probiotics basically are supplements that are feeding the good bacteria in our gut, so we can there's probiotic foods as well, and there's probiotic supplements and prebiotics are a type of fibers, so they're in our food as well, and they're both great for our guts. But some people may who are having who are suffering certain conditions such as IBS irritable baal syndrome, they may not be able to process some of the prebiotics like garlic for instances. So it depends on the person. But it's good for you, but you can't be taking probiotics and prebiotics, and then the rest of your diet is you know, not good.
Speaker 1: The German chocolate cakes and sweet potato popes and all that. That's my diet, unfortunately, that's my tht I love sweets, but I have, you know I have. It's really interesting in my life, you know, because when I was younger, I had a tremendous appetite. You know, I would just I'd love buffets. I would sit down and just consume a lot of foods. And I was I wasn't a people looking good. Where the food's going? Where's the food going?
Speaker 2: Well? How can you eat all that food? Now?
Speaker 1: As I've gotten older, you know, it doesn't take that much to fill me up. And I do drink a tremendous amount of water. And now I'm meeting you for the first time, I'm curious as to what you would say to me if I sat down and just told you my eating habits. Can I can I tell you some about eating habits?
Speaker 2: Sure? Okay? Cool, let's go okay cool. This morning I ate a bagel and strawberry cream cheese.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: That was my breakfast.
Speaker 1: Lunch, I had chicken salad with uh it was The bread was was uh potato bread. It was toasted, okay. And then for dinner, I had a half of a roast beef sandwich and some chips. Now A drunk water. The entire time I was tempted to go get me a root beer. I forgot one thing. I apologized. I also had I went over to this restaurant and got me a turkey chili in sour dough bread.
Speaker 2: That was my lunch.
Speaker 1: So turkey dough and sourdough bread and a chicken salad sandwich was my lunch. And then my dinner was a roast beef sandwich with potato chips.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, Well, I mean there's nothing really bad about what you have consumed, it's what's lacking in it. So if there's.
Speaker 2: Nothing hold on.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: You started out really good, Joey, you know it's this, but but you lacking some stuff about the You ain't gonna make it.
Speaker 2: You know's what you' about to say, You ain't gonna make it.
Speaker 3: I had to get props or do and then I go in.
Speaker 2: And tell you I did what lit I want to hear.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to hold my audience to the next break so you can tell everybody what Rashaan McDonald's doing role when it comes to his diet, because that was a good story right there. I'm told you when I just get up and just eat desserts all day, which is normal in my dessert But when we come back from Money Making Conversations master Class, we're speaking to registered dietitian nutritionists Joanne Fieldman.
Speaker 4: Please don't go anywhere, We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations master Class, hosted by Rashaan McDonald.
Speaker 2: You just heard me list my meal that I ate today.
Speaker 1: Like again, I I started out with a nice bagel with some strawberry cream cheese. Thought I was doing good. Then I went to Launch and got me a salad bowl with some turkey chili inside. You know, I think some veggies in there with the turkey chili. I think some veggies in there. Had me a little chicken salad. There was some celery up in that little chicken salad up in there. Okay, chicken salad was my lunch. Then I rolled on into the station here and found me some potato chips and a roast beef sandwich. Conveyed that all to Miss Joanne Filman. Now she's going to break the news to me. The floor is yours now.
Speaker 3: So, like I said, you are doing okay, you're just lacking in some areas. So earlier I was talking about plant based and making sure that majority of the foods that you're eating are plant based. So to go even deeper into that, not only should the majority be plant based, but most of that plant based part should be non starchy plant based veggies or fruits. So for breakfast, you had that bagel in the cream cheese, I would have paired it with some kind of fruit on the side, some struck even on the side. You could put the strawberries on top of the bagel. I don't know if you had a whole bagel, so depends it was okay. So on your activity levels, your current goals, I may say, oh, you may need to only do half that bagel because the goals we're trying to reach or whatever is going on with you, that may be too much for you. So it depends on the person, very person specific now. But still, we had those vegetables or fruits even for breakfast, same thing for lunch and dinner.
Speaker 2: Could I have eaten a banana with that bagel?
Speaker 3: You could have eaten a banana with the bagel. You could have eaten a banana. But if you were someone who was managing your blood sugars, then we would have said no. I would have said we would have used something else that had lower concentration of fruit toast in it pair that bathel so that we're not spiking your blood sugar. We want something that's higher in fiber because that helps with how your body absorbs those carbohydrates when fiber present as opposed to when it's not present.
Speaker 1: Because I'm very serious when I'm just asking these questions, Because like I bought some oranges keep out on my table, I bought some some peaches, and I bought some plums to keep out on my tape, as well as some strawberries. So you know, uh, I am I headed in the right direction. But I love bananas too. So are the oranges a good thing for me to have and the peaches and the.
Speaker 3: Plums, yes, absolutely, if you are able to tolerate them. There's nothing going on with you. You don't have high blood sugars, that's you know, going crazy. Absolutely, the oranges, the pieces, they're all high in fiber. So pairing them with your breakfast that you just told me is a great option.
Speaker 2: Okay. Cool.
Speaker 1: So so with that being said, go ahead and complete your analysis of what I ate and what I should have done. You told me breakfast I should have at least had some strawberries with the bagels in the cream cheese, some fruit on the side, some fruit on the.
Speaker 3: Side, right right. For lunch, you said you had a bowl, sour dough.
Speaker 1: Bowl, a sour dough bowl with turkey Chilian side, and then a chicken salad sandwich with toasted bread, white bread.
Speaker 3: So again I'm hearing more starchy vegetables and starch and starches period as opposed to non starchy vegetables and or fruits. So I would increase that as well.
Speaker 1: Now, how about if I put some lettud and tomato on the chicken salad sandwich.
Speaker 3: You could, you could put some lettuce and tomato on top of there, but it's I still would say that it's not enough. I would pair it maybe with a side salad, with a salad that's not just greens either, because you know you can only get some many nutrients from just leafy greens. But I would bear it with a side salad that has at least three colors, so some tomatoes, some bell peppers with that side salad. So that alert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love banana peppers, so I like my salad and I do eat salads. I like banana peppers in my salad. I like lettuce and tomatoes of course in the salad. And I also put raisins in my salads all the time.
Speaker 3: You do, well, that that's fine, that's absolutely fine.
Speaker 2: Do something wrong, you said, you laugh, and I said, raisin, I'm all good.
Speaker 3: Right, you are absolutely fine. Everybody has their preferences and their change. There is nothing wrong with it. You know, you're adding the color to your plate. So I would pair it with some kind of salad or even it doesn't even a fresh salad. It could have been something like a salted veggie dish that you have that's cut, so it doesn't have to always be fresh.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, but that's good.
Speaker 1: And I'm taking everything you're taking because I'm just being honest with you as I talk to my listeners and talk to you. Is that you can keep doing something because it's comfortable, or you can or you can improve on what you're doing. And that's what this conversation is about, because this is how I eat and there's nothing for me to make the adjustment because I do like salads. I do like fruit, you know, I do like watermelons. I have to see less watermelons I do. But it's like, should I now make a conscious effort to do it? And I think what you're saying with Sean, yes, yes you should when in terms of your good health.
Speaker 3: Correct correct, Correct, That conscious effort is very important because, like you said, we live in a very habit forming type of lifestyle where we're eating the same things all the time, and unless somebody, unless something's happening, we don't think about switching it up, and sometimes we're deep into whatever is happening for that switch up, you know, to It's not that the switch up is not going to help. It's just that if we have done the switch up earlier on, we would have prevented whatever it is that's now occurring. So this is very good information for everyone.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I closed it out with you know, the half a roast beef sandwich. Roast beef sandwich and some chips. That was my clothes out.
Speaker 3: Were there any vegetables, so yeah, same thing. I would hear it with a fruit vegetables, fruit bowl, any of that to increase the fiber content and add more nutrients.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you something when I left, When I leave here today, I was gonna go by Krispy Kreme and hopefully they had that red light on and your boys gonna stop.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna I'm just gonna tell you that's me. I would have stopped, but you know, I gotta I gotta change. I gotta change.
Speaker 1: You know, I gotta get a lot of compliments on my structure, but I know I'm not doing it right. I know, if I know, you know, I do get up at four thirty am. I do my stretching, I do some like weage. I don't walk enough.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: My left knee is in flames, so you know, because I hate it against the wall. So now when I've talked to you, I was excited and I am still excited. But I though what I've learning is that Rushan, you can continue down this lane of madness or you can just stop and start doing it right when it comes to your gun health. That's the type of person that I am when I walk into you. Got to change my mindset correct right right.
Speaker 3: And this is not to say that we can't have cakes, we can't have ice cream, we can't have this sat or the other, because what is life without enjoying some of this not so healthy food. It's just that when where every night, if you're leaving work, you're going to look for that red light to be on for the Krispy Kreme. If that's an every night occurrence, then you know, I'm gonna say, okay, we need to take a step back. But if every now and again you go to a party, you're enjoying the party. Predominantly eighty five percent or more of your lifestyle should be this form of mainly plant based foods, including animal products. If you are an animal product eater, is fine, but it shouldn't be the primary source of the nutrients that you're consuming.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to registered dietitian Nutrition is Joanne Film and Joanne as we go go close out this interview and what is person specific therapy?
Speaker 3: So I believe that everyone should have persons specific therapy, which means that the therapy I designed for you is going to be around what's going on with you, your lifestyle, your financial capabilities, your cultural preferences. You know, everyone's gut is different. Your gut microbiome is different. It's influenced by how your mom had you, whether it was a C section or vaginal birth, how you were raised, your environment. There's so many different things. It's like your fingerprints. So if I'm going to create a therapy, it needs to be specific to that person and consider are every aspect of their life as I'm creating this therapy. So it's more of a holistic viewpoint that I had when I create therapies for my clients, you know.
Speaker 1: Because this is something I really got to ask you because whenever going to doctor's office, they always have these height and have this weight tied to your height. You know, you know there's five level you should be one seventy three and believe me, I'm not one seventy three. Does how much that weight really matter?
Speaker 3: It matters to a point. The question is what does that weight consists of? What is the what is what is it made out of? So BMI is what the doctors usually look at, which is bogus because it's looking at your height versus your weight, but it doesn't tell us what that weight is made out of. So someone like the Rock Johnson, Duane the Rock Johnson, someone like Lebron James on the bm MY chart, they're considered overweight obese because that chart is not taking into consideration that their weight is majority muscled. So if we're looking at weight, we need to look at what a way to consistent. Is it majority fat or is it majority muscles?
Speaker 1: And that's really important because it kind of confuses us as to what our goals are or what we should look like or are we even healthy?
Speaker 2: Are we you know.
Speaker 1: It really it really means a lot to me to hear this conversation because I'll be honest with you. You've you've you've uh, you made me take notice of what I'm doing and how how I'm eating. And I think that's important because I think that's your job. Your job is to sit down with a person like me and say, yeah, you can keep doing that, but it's not right. You know, if you you want to wake up every day and eat a bagel with strawberries, and you want to do the hot chilia at lunch, and you want to close the day off with some chips and then roll your behind over there to to for some some some doughnuts, to go ahead and do it, but it's I will tell you it gonna be some issues will be issues. I don't care how much water you drink. I don't care how much jogging you do. One day you're gonna jog and you're gonna stop jogging and so. And we're not doing this interview through fear in anybody. We're doing this interview to educate people that when you hear the word healthy, you hear the word die, it's not that big of a deal when it comes like you changing your whole meal structure, that you're gonna go. I can't eat like that. You just want us to live a healthy life, a gut healthy life.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: Correct, And it's baby steps. It's not nothing. Room wasn't built overnight. As the saying goes, you know, it's baby steps. Make small changes so that over time it accumulates and before you know it, you're living the lifestyle that you didn't think you would ever get to.
Speaker 1: This is what we're gonna do. Ninety days today is March ninety days. I want to bring you back, and i want to bring you back, and I'm going to add more vegetables to my diet. I'm going to cut out my donuts, and I'm gonna listen to my registered dietitian nutritionists join failment, I promise you. So ninety days, are you willing to come back and hear the truth from me?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay? Cool?
Speaker 1: So, and I've committed to this and I know I'm gonna lose weight when I do it, and that's all good things. Weight loss and my age is a good thing. And so but I understand now change has to happen. And I'm not saying that out of fear. I'm just saying that out of because I've spoken to a person who's been eighteen years in this business, changing people's lives and understands the value of gut health.
Speaker 3: Thank you for coming on my shall, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: And we'll talk soon. Money Making Conversation Masters Class will be right back. Don't go nowhere, And thank you Joanne Filman for being on this show and changing my values and making me understand how to eat that's important.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Bye bye.
Speaker 5: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Master Class. Money Making Conversations Master Class went through Sean McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts.