Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best.
Speaker 2: Feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make a.
Speaker 1: New decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do.
Speaker 2: And that's when all bets are off.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host, Rashaan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your jam it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own.
Speaker 2: Keep winning.
Speaker 1: My next guest deserves a drum rolling, but I don't have a drum roll. During the month of May, she is celebrating her seventy sixth birthday. She has authored six books, including four that are cookbooks. I have one that came out in twenty seventeen, Deserts LaBelle So for Sweets the Scene. She has recently begin sharing some of her personal rights piece on Instagram, which I share on my at Rashaan McDonald Facebook. Please walk on the Money Making Conversations Grammy Award winning artists, actress, entrepreneur and founder of Patty's Good Life Patty LaBelle, Hey.
Speaker 3: You better talk well, you know, how are you, honey?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great.
Speaker 1: First of all, I want to thank you for inspiring me to and and where it'sbin said. I've been changing lives and giving people a voice that didn't have a voice in the fields of entertainment entrepreneurship. Thank you, Patty Label, Thank.
Speaker 3: You too, honey. Thank you so much. And I know you're gonna be that man that I knew you were from back in the day. And look at you now, you're still don't what you do.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about thank you. Let's talk about this food girl. Patty's Good Life. The live features eight hours. I know the feature eight hours because your boy was shopping this morning.
Speaker 2: I went to Walmart I live in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is what I got because I'm gonna be celebrating because you know, it's like, what's a cool way to give her a gift, to show that I'm thinking about it, to show of love. So what I'm gonna do? I said, perfect, you know I'm gonna go. I went and bought him this morning. This was I bought.
Speaker 2: I bought.
Speaker 1: I found the macaroni and cheese. It's made well, I'm gonna tell everybody what it's made with the extra ingreen. It's made with cheddar cheese, Monoye jack cheese, and real butter.
Speaker 2: Then I got the beef risky stew that's.
Speaker 1: Tended to beef brisket and hearty sauce with potatoes, corn peas, and carrots. Then I also got the Southern style greens which is seasoned kale with a touch of hot pepper. And I'm gonna tell you something. This is what I really love. That you got black eyed peas, black eyed pien with smoked turkey, sweet onions, and garlics. Right there, I'm busting that box open because I also got some of your sweet corn bread. I got some of your sweet corn bread, and then you topped it off. Because I came back home, my wife said I didn't know Patty, because you know, she.
Speaker 2: Was saying I thought she just did pies. I said, no, Paddy got it going on. And this was opened her eyes.
Speaker 1: When I pulled out the Okra stew with oprah, tomatoes and sweet corn, she said, that's it.
Speaker 2: She would shut up. Patty got Okrah I said.
Speaker 3: Patty got Yes, that's one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then you know you purchased and you're still doing the things that you want to do. The majoity you give to people, explain that, to explain that that that that love for you have a life, Patty on my show and tell people.
Speaker 3: I guess, I guess it's because of my mom and dad. They were both loving people outgoing the neighborhood and just made people feel like they wanted to smile instead of frowning. And with me, I noticed, you know, since I've been performing for fifty six years and I've touched so many people just when I hug them right, you know, or when I smile and say something positive to them, don't cast you enoughing to be a lister of people. And it's natural for me, It's natural, you.
Speaker 2: Know, which was always cool about you, Patty.
Speaker 1: Like I was interviewing Holly Robinson Pee in December and she was telling me I'm doing it. I'm doing a Christmas show with Patty the bill and it was like her voice dropped down and she was like it was a reverence, you know, like I do. And then you know, because I was girl, you go do something with. It was like we all joined in into tlevel of happiness.
Speaker 2: Girl, you're doing.
Speaker 3: Something with Patty, you know.
Speaker 1: And I like to believe I'm a successful person, and we all know Holly Robinson Peter's a successful person.
Speaker 2: But just to.
Speaker 1: Work with you, work with you means that there's there's something special that's about to happen, because your time means something to us, your treasure.
Speaker 2: Your treasure.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. And I really feel as that you're telling the truth because, as I said, I'm seventy six and I've been working for fifty six years. And whenever I go and say that, I get this great feeling from the audience that they're pleased to be with me that night. Now I'm going to give them something special. Nothing I do is pretend.
Speaker 1: Oh no, when you start flapping those wings, now, no flapping those wings, you know, that's like a signatshire for that. You know she's about to do her things. She's about to do her thing right. Those are the blessings of being able to where.
Speaker 2: Were you at?
Speaker 1: What song do you? What song do you like? What song meant something to do? You have that type of career, that type of brand. And the reason I bring that up because to become an entrepreneur in this level, you know where you where you can go in your store and like I said, I saw your face on the box on several boxes special Yeah, and I know where it started. You know, it started with the Sweet Potato Pie. So let's walk us through that step of being an entrepreneur. And when you when you go in the store sometimes and see your box, your face on that box, talker, tell us about that journey of being an entrepreneur.
Speaker 3: Patty, Okay, when when? Because I've always coaked all my life, and so at one point I said, this is my second love, singing is first, and I should do it and try to feed people.
Speaker 4: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass, hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 3: No, I wasn't thinking about the money at the time, but I just knew how good my food was and I wanted people to say, well, can I have a second. And so it started with the supernet pies and all the sweet items m M that my mother made up. Watch my mother and my aunt make these certain items, and I gravitated to them cooking. Because I was a very shy kid. I stayed at home. I never went out and played with skids. I learned how to cook. So that's my gift and now that I want. When my babies were my grandbabies were in the store and their mother took a video of them and they were walking down the aisle said that's graab, my patty on suplicated. I said, oh, that made me feel like my babies are seeing my face. And I was in the store once and saw it, and it made me feel special, honey, just so blessed, so blessed.
Speaker 1: And you know the real interesting thing about it is that I remember, we won't go back to journey.
Speaker 2: How blessings. And if you're good, I would say, if.
Speaker 1: You treat people writing you're good people, then good things happen to you. Because when you put your sweet potato pie in the store, that young man decided.
Speaker 2: Decided, he decided to taste.
Speaker 1: And the thing about it while he was eating it, and I'm gonna tell you so, I'm gonna tell you how big that got.
Speaker 2: I was in LA and it's a Fox.
Speaker 1: Executive, white guy, white guy, Fox executive, and we was talking about doing a TV show and he said, Rashan, have you seen.
Speaker 2: That Patty label video? I said, what you're talking about? He said, sweet Potato Pie video, that's what you're talking about, and he pulled it out. That's how deep it had gotten. That's how viral had got.
Speaker 3: James, I know, that's wonderful. He's one of my best friends. I didn't know him before that. No, I was shocked to seek the video of myself. I said, Dag, he got it like that. He likes that pie like that. I said, oh God, so we met and in that's history. I mean, we're friends forever.
Speaker 2: But that's that. That's that.
Speaker 1: You can't buy that because once he did, the pies could not stay in the store.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. That's true. And at the beginning when they went out, they were doing really well, but when he did that thing, they weren't even more. He said, thank you, dear Jane.
Speaker 1: Hey, pat Patty pat I went and got a couple, you know, I I but you had to call around, you know, you just couldn't like just walk in wald On and get right said, it's the patty pie. There is the patty pie. Swee pretend the pie. And they knew as soon as you call they knew, no, we're not. They'll be in this Friday Friday. And so you can't buy that type of market. And he gave it to you. And the thing about it is that, you know, I always tell people, you know, once you get an opportunity, make sure you can deliver.
Speaker 2: And you delivered on the.
Speaker 1: Pie, the taste of the pie, the crust of the pie, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: You didn't cheat your fans.
Speaker 1: You didn't cheat me because you know black people, you know we can get hold of it.
Speaker 2: If I come on black people.
Speaker 3: I don't want nobody to beat me up.
Speaker 2: We spent a.
Speaker 1: Hard our money. She's just messing around that because they would not have bought it and drove. And the beauty of it, it happened at the right time doing that Thanksgiving run. Oh, it was just it's just all the stars lined up that lined up for your sweet potato pie. Now did you came back with the peach cobbler? Now, tell us about how did you get into this next line that I just mentioned the macaroni and cheese, the beef brisk.
Speaker 3: Is stewidd Because I'm always making dinner. I'm always looking for a certain thing to add to the chicken or the roast ham or something. So of course my size would have been like the green though macaroni and cheese. I've been making that forever and everybody loves that. And so I said, well, let's just put out a few items and see if people. Why is this way? I don't have to cook dinner. They don't have to buy deserves. I mean they have to buy a dessert spine, but they don't have to measure your own deserves. And it's easy for women or men like you used to buy and relax and not have to cook. Right, and all the food is good.
Speaker 2: Well, it's really reasonable.
Speaker 1: That's why that's I'm telling him, because you're bore about to start promoting.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to be at the level of James.
Speaker 1: Now he did some astronomical you know this product is you know, people want to just.
Speaker 2: Go home, just put it in microway, put it in the oven. It's some great food.
Speaker 1: It's rare, and I guess it's a lot of food in this package.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm opening yet, but I know weight. I know weight.
Speaker 3: I went, I know you do.
Speaker 1: I just got some just a family serving and so and so it was so funny that I was because I'm an old school I'm from Houston, Texas and the country boar. I love buttermilk. I love I love for sugar my butter milk. And so you know when I saw that corn.
Speaker 2: Bread girl, I said, I'm gonna get this. I'm gonna make me some corn bread.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna put that sugar there, but I'm gonna crumble up this good old Paddy good like corn bread in there, and that's gonna be my dessert on Sunday. I'm just gonna let you know.
Speaker 3: I'm just don't you know you're gonna make that into a dessert.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, I'm just gonna have fun because of the fact that you have a you have. You're giving me a gift because you've been doing it all Like I'm gonna just shift a little gear.
Speaker 2: Because you've been an.
Speaker 5: Advocate for adoptions, diabetes, cancer, HIV, AIDS, and many other causes and nonprofit initiatives. What drives that energy, Patty, I.
Speaker 3: Was born with this. I'm I'm a total giver and it don't cost me nothing to give what God has given me. So I give it and with a smile on my face and wait to be asked to do some more stuff because I'm that girl. You know, there's nothing that I can do for people. I can it all we.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate that. I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Okay.
Speaker 1: If you want to hear more interviews on money Making Conversation, go to Moneymaking Conversation dot com.
Speaker 2: I'm ra Sean McDonald. I'm your host.
Speaker 6: Thank you for joining us for this edition of money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts.