Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 3: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood and nostalgia and how shaped us into the people we are.
Speaker 4: Today, who are very excited to take a deep dive into today's episode.
Speaker 2: If I do say so.
Speaker 1: Myself, Welcome to how did We get Weird?
Speaker 4: So, Jonah, we have some really exciting news about our dad, Yes we do. Our dad had a recent interaction in the suburbs of Cleveland where he lives. And do you want to recount it for our listeners.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: And so our dad had an incident with this car where he was driving on the road and I guess he ran over a bungee cord and it somehow flew up and knocked the handle off his door, right, So he went to the dealership, as he told us, and it was like very expensive. They wanted like one thousand dollars or something to fix this, and so he negotiated with them and he couldn't get the price down, but they were like, you can go to this other place in the area.
Speaker 1: They might be able to do it cheaper.
Speaker 3: So he went in there and then was trying to get a quote and the manager was like, he gave the guy, the manager his license, and the manager was like, are you the first Todd which we talk about in this podcast all the time. Our dad is a first person named Todd. And he was like yes. And this guy, so he thinks, was a big fan of our podcast and was like, I listened all the time. It was actually a childhood friend of mine. Yes, So I want to give him a shout out. Anthony Rockman. He works for I wish, I wish I could remember the name of the place. I think it's like a Nissan place somewhere to Ohio. Yeah, probably'd be better advertising if I knew the name of the place and where it was. I'm going to find it right now. Jonah, Okay, well you're looking it up. But yeah, this is someone who actually we didn't even go to high school with. This is someone who I think just really went Yeah. I think he transferred to Bedford or something. But yeah, he listens to the podcast and recognized our dad and hooked him up with a sweet deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Anthony Rockman, I believe he works at Bedford Nissan. Yeah, he's a manager at Bedford Nissan, and I guess ask for him and say, you know the first not yeah. Yeah, And by the way, Anthony, we apologize if we're like sort of promising deals to people, but you're not going to give them two. But at least we know we I do believe that our dad got his car back and he had had a quality job done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, quality job done, good price. So yeah, check it out. Yeah, if you have car troubles in your Bedford, Ohio. And yeah, so that was.
Speaker 2: Very excit or any of the surrounding areas, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't even think you need to have a Nissan. I don't think our dam has any No, he doesn't have a Nissan. So don't let the name Bedford Nissan scar your way. Now, I will say to Anthony, as the manager of that company, you might want to talk to the owner and say, look, we're limiting ourselves with this name. But regardless, they do a great job on Nissans and other cars. So should we introduce.
Speaker 4: Our guest, Yes, okay, our guests today. We're very excited. She's an actress and commit who co created and co starred in NBC's Best Friends Forever in USA Network's Playing House, and has appeared in other TV shows and movies such as Veep and Bridesmaids, and co hosts the fantastic podcast The Deep Dive along with June Diane Raphael.
Speaker 2: Please welcome Jessica Sinclair.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hello, Hello guys. Thank you so much for having me Jessica.
Speaker 2: We're just thrilled to have you.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, it's funny because I have a younger brother, three years younger, and nothing delights me more than being with a sister brother duo.
Speaker 1: That because so nice.
Speaker 5: I automatically understand it. I understand that you guys were doing synchronized swimming routines in the hotel pools, you.
Speaker 2: Know that, Like there's a certain.
Speaker 5: Kind of prison element to it, where like you're all each other has for so many experiences, you know, like daring my brother to eat a candy in the funeral direct office because we saw like a hundred dead bodies at funerals before we were ten, you know what I mean, Like that kind of shit is just delights me. So it's just so wonderful to be with you too.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: I do feel like we made up some dances together, like we had one babysitter around this makeup dances like you're all each other has.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a babysitter who's like, oh my god, set the toaster on fire, and like you're helping them like like bury the body. You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, I just love it. Yeah, I love it for sure, for sure.
Speaker 3: Do you remember when we went to that? Remember there was at Sunoco gas station on our corner growing up. Yes, do you remember we went there once and our babysitter was like buying cigarettes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, our parents were getting gas and like they were totally like horrified.
Speaker 1: That's so good.
Speaker 4: Wait, so we were there with our parents and we ran into our baby.
Speaker 3: We were like in the back seat. They were like getting gas and they went inside to pay or something. I don't think it was before you could pay it the pump. And yeah, she was buying cigarettes, and I think she was like busted kind of.
Speaker 1: And I think I don't know if she babysat us.
Speaker 4: Again, that's funny because I mean, I know, when you're a kid, unless you have parents, I find that unless my friends who had parents who smoked, Like you think that people who smoke are bad people, Yes, yeah that's a bad person, But it seems like as an adult, you wouldn't think that.
Speaker 2: But maybe it's because she was underage, that.
Speaker 1: Because she was young.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you know, we had this babysitter, Debbie, who we loved, who was great.
Speaker 2: But Debbie, I don't think this was Debbie. Okay, but what was gonna say?
Speaker 4: Debbie had a younger sister who would babysit once in a while, who was kind of a I kind of think she was kind of a bad girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, was a sister. Act.
Speaker 2: There's always a sister. There's a sister act.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that might have been who it was. I don't want to point any fingers. It was probably thirty five years ago, and I have a very bad memory. So she did a few weird things.
Speaker 4: One was she like hated this one girl in my grade and she like drew a like caricature of her while she was babysitting us. And I remember being like, that's weird, Like that's a weird thing to do. She was and she was significantly older than us. I mean, she still was like, shouldn't have hated someone in our grade that much? You know, it was like, how do you even know this person? And then I remember when we were at the Orange Jubilee, which Jessica. Every springtime we have this weekend thing called the Orange Jubilee where they take over the high school parking lot and turn it into a carnival. Okay, And I was one year in a dance company course that was a huge ripoff and we like performed at it, and you know, there's other things happened that weekend at the school. But I remember these girls in my grade were like thought she was like she was like after them, and like I remember them coming up to me and like mom and dad and being like she's after us, And I remember being like, okay's it's crazy because Debbie was a delight. And I'm not going to say her last name because I don't want to out her sister. But Debbie was like the best and so responsible and babysat us every Saturday. But her younger sister would fill in once in a while and she was trouble just.
Speaker 2: Good the capital T.
Speaker 5: And you know, there wasn't really a vetting process back in the day.
Speaker 2: For bas It's like there.
Speaker 5: Was no care dot com, Like nobody was checking references like the amount of and also like God bless our parents. They were really living their best lives because we were with babysitters old time.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, like.
Speaker 4: Our parents went out every Saturday night, Yes, yes, every Saturday night.
Speaker 5: I remember my mom would put on her lair du TOMPs, you know, perfume, you know, and maybe if it was maybe if it was a cold winter night, she'd throw on her fur, her mink.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I don't know where they went, but like, god damn it. There that's aspirational. And we were with god knows who, you know, be babysat and Jonah.
Speaker 4: When you were a little bit older, it was just me being babysat and then sometimes it was me by myself. I think if you were out with your friends. And I just remember always watching Sisters when mom and dad were up, because it was on Saturday night and you know, with Swoozie Kurtz and yes, the whole Jonah. Do you remember watching that show? Do you know what I'm talking about? I do remember they all sort of had boy names.
Speaker 1: It was like.
Speaker 5: Patti Calimbar was one of the actors. But I remember, yes, I remember this so well. Cela Sella Ward, Selma.
Speaker 4: Ward, Yes, Steal Award or Cela Award yeah, and and they all were like Joey Riggy, you know, they all had boy names Jonah, you would one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I mean if you look it up right now, you would one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I do remember it. I remember it.
Speaker 3: This was the era where there were all these like shows like that that were made for adults. That weak ticket fences. Was it one that you were coming into nothing else?
Speaker 2: That's ye, thirty something.
Speaker 5: If you ever watched anything from thirty clip from thirty something, it's one of the most devastating shows you've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Like in the pilot, he's like I go fuck someone else and like you're just.
Speaker 5: Like that was on at eight PM, and I'm pretty sure I watched it with my parents.
Speaker 4: But on Saturday night, all the rules are off, like oh you just tell yeah, you can start that TV as early as you want Now. Creator of thirty something went on to be one of the creators of my sol called Life. So I've always wanted to watch thirty something.
Speaker 5: Watch it, but know that you will need to like journal out a lot of deep and dark feelings because they really go there. It's not like you know, it's not like modern family where there's like a fun rop it's like they're dealing with some serious adult, you know, situations that I.
Speaker 3: Feel like nothing would make me feel older than watching that show because I felt like as a kid that everyone seems so old on that show, and now thirty thirties feels so young. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yah, thirty something.
Speaker 5: They're all like on their third kid, like they're like thirty years old. They're like the sex is dried up. And I'm like, Jesus, you're thirty.
Speaker 2: Like that's bad.
Speaker 5: You know. They're like, I can't do this insurance job anymore. I'm like, you've only been working for three years. What are you talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really no.
Speaker 4: But I remember being a kid and watching my soul culled life started bringing back then and it was like from the creators of thirty something, and I was like, whoa, Like that's old.
Speaker 2: No, I really.
Speaker 5: I really do think a lot about how much TV hours we logged, because I mean, and my parents, you though, like we had to do our homework and stuff, but like I must have logged at least four to five hours a day, like I was cramming it in, you know, like your mom would be making dinner and you'd be like, great, I can get in an hour of back to back reruns, and it was all reruns, so we weren't like, oh, we weren't watching our own media. We were watching the media of this generation before us. So right, like Kate Nally, I love Lucy Tree's Company Boat.
Speaker 2: We watched a lot of Love Boat after school.
Speaker 5: So we're really a product of the seventies, not the eighties or not as Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: True, totally totally.
Speaker 4: And then just Jonah and I both have this thing and I don't know if you had this and I again, it's not a bad show.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the our problem was.
Speaker 4: But when the credits, the opening credits for Mama's Family would come on, it was.
Speaker 2: Like where is the remote? I have to change the channel, I have to turn on.
Speaker 4: Never watch There was never watched an episode of by Life something, So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yes, I would start crying when Mamma's Stanley came on. I would literally start to cry because it was so upset and time.
Speaker 5: Olivia wrote, That's how I was with Mash like I came if I if I hear the theme song, it's like a trigger warning.
Speaker 2: It's like for myself.
Speaker 4: In hell, like I can't know when when when the Mama's Family song, but I don't know if it was because of the way the song was, the way that the show looked like the colors of the you know, like how it was sort of like muted or something.
Speaker 2: I just was like if I watched.
Speaker 4: This, if I watched the full intro and start watching the show, I will die. There is nothing I like, Like I would rather like row something at the TV and smash it then like have to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's also like those TV shows felt so long, Like a half hour show when you're a kid feels like right, I have to sit through five hours. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like Long Day's Journey and Tonight and like for some reason good Times I hated, but which was the one with rerun and and D that wasn't Good Times?
Speaker 2: It was the one no oh god, I forget.
Speaker 5: But there's like sometimes back to back shows you were like loving one, but the next one that followed the first stamp, well, we.
Speaker 4: Used to like amen, like we would watch but then we wouldn't watch, and we liked two two seven. There were certain shows that were on right around that time that were like if that show comes on, if.
Speaker 3: We're out of here. We watched a lot of empty nests that was kind of us.
Speaker 2: So much empty nest.
Speaker 5: So so much empty nest, empty and still, even though I knew so little about hair color at that time, the red, the color red of the sister's hair was so upsetting to me, and I thought, I know there's something better in Hollywood that she could get on her right, right right, And I thought she's an attractive I know they were trying to make her like the sister that couldn't get it together, but I'm like, just with the right you know, give me, give me a pair of plastic gloves and some fairy a hair dye, and I could have given her a better.
Speaker 2: Situation right well.
Speaker 4: As a kid, I remember watching that show and sort of being like, Okay, one of the sisters is sort of more together than the other one or something like. I remember, I couldn't quite I didn't totally get it yet.
Speaker 1: It was on all the time, and the dog.
Speaker 2: My first job ever, like a million years ago.
Speaker 5: The woman who was doing my bakeup was like she left the room and someone said, you know, she's married to Joe Azuzu, right, And I was like, from empty Nest. Remember the neighbor, Yes, divorce, wow, yeah, yeah, and she was a hot she was a hot Toddy. So I'm like, okay, Like they were living on that Empty Nest money for.
Speaker 2: A while and then you know, wow, he had.
Speaker 4: Sort of the best part on Empty Nests because he was and you know, there were two, so it's sort of like Empty Nest was a spinoff of Golden Girls. I think that's right. They lived next door. That was their doctor was that guy? And then and then do you remember it wasn't as long lived, but the shown nurses that was like it would like took place at the hospital where he worked.
Speaker 2: It sounds so familiar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you know that's it's a bummer that we don't have that anymore because I feel like you and I Vanessa could have really made it, made some nice money off just popping in as the neighbor.
Speaker 2: You know, that's fun.
Speaker 5: That's fun because you're in, you're then you're gone for a couple of you're back in, you know, and nobody cares.
Speaker 2: And it all went well for us.
Speaker 4: Then we could have had so much of that network money as the neighbor. You know, let's go maybe the neighbors. You know, they're a preschool teacher. Let's the spinoff takes place at the preschool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like remember remember, sorry, this this is really becoming a reep. But remember Family Ties. Wasn't Courtney Cox his girlfriend? Who or no, no, no, blonde blonde from Melrose Place, Courtney thorn Smith, right, Am?
Speaker 2: I crazy?
Speaker 5: Mandy thorn Smith had her own daycare and that that was its own show.
Speaker 1: I believe it was.
Speaker 4: I think possibly funny because I always think Courtney thorn Smith got her start on Melrose's Place.
Speaker 5: But you're right, she was on Family Tithing in and around right so long. It's like clooney start, you know, showed up was all right, well here he is. He's on soap opera's right. Listen, Yes, it could all happen for us. You know, it's still could happen for us. I'm holding out ho but that was a golden age. That was a golden age.
Speaker 4: Because I also have to say, and I won't get into it because every single podcast we do, the moment I mentioned this, I start talking about it for twenty minutes and we just don't have that kind of time. Sure not to limit you know, and also we don't have that kind of patience from our audience to hear me talk about it every single week. But I watch a lot of General Hospital and a lot of the characters will leave and they'll be like they'll make like an announcement like I'm going to try and like do something else Whereas like you know, Clooney, like I understand why because they're like they've seen all these people do that.
Speaker 2: I think it is so hard for them.
Speaker 4: Then a lot of times six months, a year, or two years later they'd come back. Because I agree with you, it's not that golden age where it's like you show, you show how great you are on a soap opera, and all of a sudden, you're, you know, the next I mean, the last person I can think of that that happened to. Although there is a character in General Hospital who's going to who's absent right now. He's quote they think he's quote unquote dead and he's just gone temporarily to be in the Menendez.
Speaker 2: Brothers God bless him.
Speaker 4: American not horror story, but uh, like one of those carry ones American American crime story. Okay, yeah, so that's a leap. So that's allege that guy. Guess what they say, he's going to come back when he's done. I think he's I think this, I think this one might be dead for real.
Speaker 5: Listen and I and I just told this story on The Deep Dives, so I won't retell it. But I did fart on the set of which was the one with Susan Lucci.
Speaker 2: Is that journal All My Children?
Speaker 5: All My Children? I once was an extra nurse on the set of All My Children, and I farted during a coma scene and I was unfortunately outed by the other extra nurse she because she started laughing.
Speaker 2: Susan Lucci was in the scene. She started laughing.
Speaker 1: I hit like a.
Speaker 4: Sharp By the way, I think it's okay if people hear this twice.
Speaker 2: Can you just tell us exactly what happened.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm telling you it's could be so boring for deep divers, but I had never told you in this story, and she she was so upset that she had She'd waited this long to hear it. But back in the day, when I was in New York, you could I auditioned. I remember like somebody, I think my dad, my eighties businessman dad, like had a buddy who was in like ad sales or something, and he's like, oh, I can get you an audition for all my children. So I went in and I read in this guy's windowless office, and I was not He was like, clearly, you're not a a talented dramatic actress or be good looking enough to ever set foot on the set as a main character, but you can come back as an extra nurse or an extra. And so I would get in my locker, you get like sixty five dollars and you would put on scrubs and then you would just be in the background and the scene. It was like at ten am and I hadn't eaten much and I was standing there. Somebody was dying. Susan Luci was there, she was crying, and I was just supposed to be taking like the measurements, and it was like beep beep, you know, and then all of a sudden, I let out this crazy high fart that hit like a c sharp.
Speaker 2: Wait, I want to back up, Like the measurements, you mean, like just.
Speaker 5: Like taking all sure idols, writing things down, And then all of a sudden it was like.
Speaker 2: Like that, But there was no way to know who did it.
Speaker 5: So I was like, let's keep going like I'm a professional, and there was no way I could have held that back, like they're just what. In fact, probably had hit that high note because I was trying to hold it back, but like that's that's nature. And unfortunately the other nurse extra started laughing, to which the director went bananas and was like good, like.
Speaker 2: What is going on? Why are you guy? Why are you laughing?
Speaker 5: And I thought, this motherfucker and she goes she farted with that in front of everyone. She farted and I was mortified, and that was it. I was never asked back.
Speaker 4: Well, you had a very successful career since then, And I wonder what that had? A punk other nurse who's a sorry, excuse me, dark nurse.
Speaker 5: She was a dark oh dare I went at the same time, like I understood, like sometimes things happen. And again I told you, my daughter calls you the I made a mistake woman, because her lullaby Jonah is the farting scene from SNL where Vanessa played that you know, nineteen thirty screen siren who couldn't stop farting, And that was my last show, last show.
Speaker 2: If she had it wasn't your last show.
Speaker 1: It goes.
Speaker 5: It'll be like she's had a rough day and fourth grade and she'll be like play it and I'm like, babe, no, We've watched it a million times. I'm like okay. And then she's like you know that lady. I'm like, yeah, she's very talented that she's done much more than just this scene. So loves it.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: That really is so nice. That is from the last show I ever did on SNL.
Speaker 5: You and the Rock had so much chemistry. I'd love to see a two hander. Wow, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I really love him and he told me it was an honor to be the host of my last show.
Speaker 2: Oh he's he seems like an officer and a gentleman.
Speaker 5: I want him in my corner, Like if shit goes down, I want to be near the Rock because he'll carry you to safety.
Speaker 4: He's always eating protein. He's so strong. He has a suitcase of protein. I remember him saying he works out every morning. But we would be like, what if your call time is really early? He's like, you get up two hours earlier, and we were like what.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. You're like, no, you let your body decay.
Speaker 4: And and actually you skip it.
Speaker 5: You skip it and you just go to craft service and you sugar to make yourself feel something.
Speaker 4: Well, wow, I think we're going to take a quick commercial break, but we'll be right back with Jessica.
Speaker 2: Saint Clair the Delight, and we.
Speaker 1: Are back Jessica.
Speaker 3: Before we get into our topic, I'm going to ask you about one more show that sure I haven't thought about in a long time, but to a nineteen ninety two show.
Speaker 1: It's called Dear John.
Speaker 2: Dear Was it an AA meeting?
Speaker 1: Was it? Yes?
Speaker 3: It yes?
Speaker 2: And who was who was the guy?
Speaker 3: So the guy is jud Hirsh judd Hurst, Ye, yes, yes, and so this show was launched the same week as Empty Nest. I'm just thinking of like dark premises of shows, and basically Wikipedia says sitcom takes place in New York. Jud Hirsh is John Lacy, a prep school teacher. After ten years of marriage, one day returns home to find a Dear John letter his wife Wendy's leaving him for his best friend. When the court grants Wendy the house and custody of their son.
Speaker 2: This is such backstory.
Speaker 3: John moves into apartment in Queens and then it's like his character synopsis is John a school teacher who tries, not always successfully, to keep his life from falling apart after his acrimonious, financially devastating divorce.
Speaker 1: Like, what kind of premise is this for a show?
Speaker 5: But that's my husband and I were talking about this the same with Welcome Back. Welcome Back Cotter was like the dreams that you had were just welcome back. Like everybody's lives were so bad and they were forced to go home or to teach school. You know, it's like head of the class, like he had a bright future ahead of him, but he's stuck in that gray classroom with Robin Gibbons.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: It was there was a lot of backstory that we had to hear about, usually in the theme song or even growing pains.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, show me that's my right because they're also depressed.
Speaker 3: Growing pains to me. I remember, I just felt like Ellen Thick and his wife were always just like arguing in bed, arguing about something.
Speaker 5: Still, And all I remember is Joanna Kurns changing from a pump to a sneaker.
Speaker 2: She was always like coming back from where I.
Speaker 5: Think she was an anchor woman or something, and this woman is really handling the work life balance with a lot of grace.
Speaker 4: Yes. And you know what else was an interesting show from that era was Who's the Boss? Because it was like the idea was that Judith Light was like this really high power attorney.
Speaker 1: Was she a lawyer?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was a lawyer and she lived with her like mom, who is kind of like a sex pot.
Speaker 2: Yes. And Tony Danza was their housekeeper. Yes, slash nanny really yeah to Alissa Milano.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Vanessa, you did a show yeah with Tony.
Speaker 2: I heard a lot of chemistry with Tony Danza.
Speaker 3: I'm really he's a fan of yours, right, He was very complimentary to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have a Vanessa who don't you have? Vanessa's got riz. She's got riz for days, and like I even when I see her at a cocktail party, and it's not that often, but I make a beeline to get some of that riz like a humming bird, like a homing bird to a feeder, I get as fast as I can over to her.
Speaker 4: That's how I feel with you. I love to see you, I love to hear what do you love to? What are you watching?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not surprised you at Dance's have it?
Speaker 4: I did a show called Celebrity Autobiography that I think that I still do them once in a while, where basically this couple who I feel like one of them, just they've done a lot of theater. They've done, They've done a lot of I feel like everybody knows them, Like a lot of people know them.
Speaker 2: They've done so much cool stuff.
Speaker 4: And basically they put on these shows where they invite kind of like celebrities to read other celebrities sort of biographies for an audience, like snippets of them, sort of making it like they always would do like Britney Spears biography, you know, but you know when it was like okay to be like making fun of right and other celebrities sort of like big, splashy celebrity autobiographies they would have people read. And I did one one year and Tony Danza was doing it too. Oh we were in the same show, and we we sort of like hung out after and then he he had a book reading, and then we did another show together and we walked from one venue to another.
Speaker 5: It's like you may have had a short lived affair with Tony and you didn't realize it was happening, but like a made Tomber type of type of things.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, exactly, Yes, Eugene Pac.
Speaker 4: That's right. What did Eugene Pac do recently, Olivia? I feel like he just did something. It's him and his wife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vanessa, it's a podcast, not a packcast. Maybe we can move on seriously chases.
Speaker 4: But anyway, so I guess I guess the point is I didn't have a short live who lived affair with Tony Danza.
Speaker 1: I mean he is.
Speaker 4: I mean, the thing is, he's just he's like a delightful guy to be around, and even I don't know when we did this ten fifteen years ago, still very very attractive guy.
Speaker 2: Oh I way age very well.
Speaker 3: He did an A and E show I just looked up called Tony Teach Tony Danza where he taught high school.
Speaker 2: What I think that was going on around the time it.
Speaker 1: Must have been.
Speaker 3: And this is the summary for the final episode, which is such an incredible summary. Short Danza gives one student an extension on an essay, but refuses to give another student a similar extension. So if the student tries to drop the class, well, then it says, okay, there's a little more. Danza reaches out to a student who skips class. He also stages a charity show to raise money for a new air conditioner for the school's library. And it says on here that they tried to actually stop the filming of the show the producers because there wasn't enough drama, and Tony Danzel like said, I don't care, like he wouldn't go along with creating the drama. And that's because the guy is a class act.
Speaker 4: He's a class act. We should have him on this podcast too.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, oh.
Speaker 5: You have to he And just like the Rock, it's like these people are entertainers. You know, they can do more than just act. They're dancing, they're weightlifting. There you know, there there's was a box.
Speaker 1: Danto is a boxer.
Speaker 2: He's a boxer. They're both strong guys.
Speaker 5: That's hot. Bring back, bring back the strong guy. Now, Jonah, you've got the mustache for a for a turn of the century strong man.
Speaker 2: You never forget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got the mustash.
Speaker 2: And Jonah you're a strong guy.
Speaker 4: I mean you you have leaner muscle because it's more from yoga. Yeah, Jonah's so good at yoga that like when we used to do yoga classes together in New York. The teachers would always like focus on him a lot, and they'd be like, Joe, like, you're like, watch Jonah do this, And I'd be like, hey, I'm used to being the one who's kind of in the spot like could you shine a little more light on me? And I'd be like half doing it something you're supposed.
Speaker 5: To be mindful, and You're just like, can I get a little more spotlight over here.
Speaker 2: Now, Jonah.
Speaker 5: What I'm interested in you developing as a skill would be being able to hold somebody up.
Speaker 2: Could you hold me up with your feet? Probably?
Speaker 5: And I have heavy it's a great question. I have very heavy bones. I do. My doctor told my mom that she's got extremely dense bones.
Speaker 3: I think there's a name for this, like type like where you're like holding people up.
Speaker 1: I don't think I would be good at that.
Speaker 3: I think that's like a you have to practice a lot, and then it's like you can really get hurt it.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like it's not personal to Jessica.
Speaker 5: It's just general for you to be able to, like, you know, and I don't know what your marital status is, but with the partner, I'd love for you to be able to spin them like a like.
Speaker 2: A pizza pie. If if I'm if it was warranted, yeah I could.
Speaker 3: I am married. I could ask my wife. I feel like she would not be into that.
Speaker 4: I you don't know until you ask. That's right now, speaking of a playful show. Yeah, okay, that's called the segue. Okay, we asked you to bring in something to talk about today, and we've already talked about a lot of TV shows.
Speaker 1: But yeah, one of the shows that you also.
Speaker 4: Watched a lot growing up, in addition to the ones we've discussed, is the Flintstones.
Speaker 2: Now, why is the Flintstone significant to you? You know, it's sad.
Speaker 5: When you look back at your influences, you know, and I've long known this, and I because, well, okay, so I'll just explain. So, like, you know, went to public school in New Jersey. I would get out. Now, kids today are very overscheduled. You know, my daughter's you know, she's at the musical practice. Then she'll go to mathnasium, you know. But we used to just go home, you know, So we go home and then there was these dead hours between like three thirty and five thirty, where like who knows what you were up to right, you didn't have to really do homework. So I would come home. I would get a gigantic bag of Dorito's and a cold frosty coke because I don't think I drank water until I was like maybe thirty, and I would pop that bad Boy open and I would and I think from three to five there were back to back reruns of Flintstones on. And I was so anxious as a child at school, like I was such a I was such a Tracy flick nerd. Like I would have a headache from just like concentrating on the blackboard and like rewriting my notes over and over again. That those are my two hours, kind of like I'd done like a ten hour shift at like the tun can factory. Those are my hours to just check out, right, And I would log this time with the Flintstones. And I found it so comforting because you know, Flintstone's based on the Honeymooners. I guess I never watched the Honeymooners. That show would make me feel sick to my stomach if I ever was forced to watch it, but the plots were always the same, you know, So that felt very comforting. And then I realized when I started running my own shows that I would have to stop myself and think, is this if I was pitching something in the room, is this the plot from the Flintstones? Because Lenin and I my best friend who I write my shows with, and we rebase everything on our real friendship. Lenin has a very Barney energy, and I'm very much fred Wow, Barney is as solid and as stable as they come. Right. We recently likened June actually likened Lenin to a four oh one K. She's a really great return on your investment, Like you're not gonna you know, you're going to make a solid return, and fred Is is definitely more.
Speaker 2: Of a wild card.
Speaker 5: Okay, right, you know, so I do think that if you really did a deep dive, you know on my shows that that very few people have screened, you could probably draw a lot of.
Speaker 2: Connections, you know, to Flintstone's episodes.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And I loved the idea of living next door to your best friend. That's my dream. That's my dream.
Speaker 5: You have matching stonehouses, you know, you go bowling, Like that's that's that's what I dream in life.
Speaker 2: That's all I want.
Speaker 4: It's it does seem like they have really fun lives, Yes.
Speaker 2: They really do.
Speaker 5: It's like the bowling night, the you know, barbecues outside. You know, nobody's really trying.
Speaker 4: To worry about their car because they just walk their cars.
Speaker 5: They walk their cars. That's right, that's right. And all they each have one kid. I don't think they had more than one. So that's manageable.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Things just really manageable, you know. Yeah, and just comforting. So yeah, so that's what I would do, and then I would take that if I could, I would sneak that and maybe i'd show my face downstairs for like a half hour to distract my mother and i'd go back upstairs. And that's when the good stuff started coming on, like Three's Company, it's a living you know, gold I think possibly.
Speaker 2: I don't think Golden RULs was still.
Speaker 5: On, like running at eight o'clock, but definitely Three's Company, which my mom was like, I don't know, there's a lot of sexual innuendos, but that's like, that's really what I was mainlining from like five thirty to seven.
Speaker 4: And that was reruns of three runs, absolute reruns totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were just playing one after another.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly exactly. Yeah, And then I was telling you before we got on. I think Three's Company is the reason I'm here in Santa Monica living because that's all I wanted in my adult life, you know, I wanted to be living at you know, above the Recal Beagle and like, you know, having mad cap sex adventures, you know, right, with different roommates.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because that show in retrospect must have been so inexpensive to film because it really all took place in one room.
Speaker 5: You never left that room. Every so often you went to Chrissy's bedroom, but that was it. And the Regal Beagle, right, they had scenes there, right, they had scenes there, right, But there was and sometimes you're in The Ropers, which, by the way, I just read that Missus Roper, mister and Missus.
Speaker 2: Roper were supposedly forty years old.
Speaker 3: No, yes, yes, I guess by like thirty something logic.
Speaker 5: They should be like done for tired. You were like in a moomoo retired. Oh that is disgusting. You were a disgusting old person by forty. That's so crazy.
Speaker 3: And you know what's crazy is the Ropers they had their own spin off.
Speaker 2: Too, sure did they sued it that it was very short lived. I don't think. I think we only lasted ten episodes or something from.
Speaker 1: Nineteen seventy nine to nineteen eighty wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And was it called The Ropers.
Speaker 1: It was called the Ropers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, wow.
Speaker 5: But I really do like for all the people who say, like, oh, screens are bad for kids, I'm like, I disagree because I don't think. I know, I wouldn't have had the career that I have if I hadn't logged all that time.
Speaker 4: Yes, those are my ten thousand hours. Those were my ten thousand hours. I feel the same way. I think those shows were very helpful, even if I didn't at the time totally understand them, Like I feel like the first oh go ahead jonah.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I think they kind of taught you about like adulthood as a kid. Yes, in a way that kids now have so much media oriented exactly towards them in their own lives.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, yes, yeah. There was like Sesame Street and then thirty something. You didn't really have ride between, and we didn't get to watch TV. It was like if eight o'clock, if eight pm, it was the Golden Girls, Like, yeah, that's for your parents.
Speaker 2: We didn't care about children back then. The first show that.
Speaker 4: I think resonated with me that I think was I don't even I guess it was sort of made for people our age as like kids are teenagers was Blossom. That's why when we had jenavan Oi and my Embiolica on this podcast, I've lost my mind is because that one. Not only that, but like the comedy of it, I really understood and I still to this day, I think it's like one of the funniest shows out.
Speaker 2: Greer but greed, but it was one of the most gifted.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, but I really, like, I really that was the first one where I was like, oh, they're talking about stuff that's like relatable to teenage.
Speaker 5: That's right, I agreed, And then like, I don't know when Saved the Bell, Saved by the Bell happened, but like, right, you know that didn't feel Yeah, I don't know, I.
Speaker 4: Didn't Save by the Bell didn't feel like that relatable.
Speaker 5: No, I feel like I was relating more to two three's company in Flintstones than I was to Save by the Bell. And that's but also it's like, how weird are you? So it's like I'm sure normal kids will probably connecting more to Save by the Bell, right, you know, the weirdos amongst us were like finding comfort in the Flintstones.
Speaker 4: The point is, now that I've bragged about knowing Lenny Holtzman, the point is worth it.
Speaker 2: There weren't that, thank you.
Speaker 4: There weren't that many shows that were like the comedy that's really funny about Yeah, I mean, who's relating to Save by the Bell and being like, yeah, that's all I am with my friends. We're so popular, we go to the dances, we all date and we're but even.
Speaker 5: Think about, like again, Golden Girls is the other one where I'm like, is this a Golden Girls episode? Like I'll find myself in the writer's room being like, how about we do a murder mystery and I'm like, nope, that was a Golden Girls episode.
Speaker 2: Like I they're in me.
Speaker 5: They're like part of my lineage, you know, I'm carrying the stories of my people, and they happen to be episodes from seventies s toitcoms, eighties tox com.
Speaker 2: But I'm thinking about how amazing.
Speaker 5: It is that as children, we were like, yeah, the most popular show is with all women in their sixties and so yes, yes, yeah, yeah, Like that's incredible, that's incredible.
Speaker 4: It's pretty it's pretty awesome. And who is that where is that house? The exterior of that house?
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't know, but that's yeah. God, I wish I could live in that house. Wouldn't you love to live? That's the other dream that Yeah. So these were models, right, so and the other one was mad about you. And I don't know when I got into mad about you. Wasn't maybe until high school or something. I was like, this is me. I'm gonna move to New York and I'm gonna have this kind of shaggy haircut and like Mary Paul Riser, you know, and have like that big bed you know. Yeah, like yeah, these scenes in their bedroom, right, so many scenes in their Yeah, and what's.
Speaker 3: The house is in Brentwood? The Golden Girl?
Speaker 4: It is driving by it.
Speaker 3: But this is this is a really good point because now I feel like if like you made a gen Z show for gen Z, like someone like getting an oat milk latte, then getting avocado toes, then looking at their phone, It's like, Okay, that's not really broadening your horizons that much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, likes to make fun of gen Z, but you're right. I mean gen Z is like on TikTok a lot, like how you can making videos with their phone. It's like, this isn't really that interesting to watch?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, And then you have like other shows like I things that are too scary for me to watch, like Euphoria. I don't know, I'm scared, but I do think I should watch it. I can't handle it. I know that I can't. Yeah, but you know that's again I was. I'm looking always in my media consumption has got to be comfort. Comfort, comfort, comfort. I do not like to push myself. June is the one, and she'll tell you who likes to Like she forced me to go on a run with her. It was the worst hour of my life and she showed up. I didn't have any and my phone ran out of juice. I didn't have anything. I thought, oh, we'll run and talk and she's like, no, I listened to my How I Survived I Survived a crime podcast. She listens to and doesn't speak to you, and so like every time she would take her earbuds out, it would be like and then I scratched his face and I'm like, please, I don't want to hear this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And also, I mean I loved June. I think she's the best. But you know, she's inviting you for a run. I understand why you would think that you'd be kind of conversing during the run.
Speaker 5: Er No, she said, ye, you should have had your own So I had to run with my own thoughts. Wow for an hour. That's really dark. I had to confront a lot of demons during that. And it wasn't the things that she was listening to on her horrible harble, But that's her. Her lullaby are true crime podcasts, Gotcha Survived, you know whatever? And rest Present has a trunk full of people's ears and all that stuff, right, that's what gets.
Speaker 2: That's what lulls her to sleep.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, we didn't have as much of that stuff when we were growing up. And the way that like gen Z and younger people do now, I wonder if it's the reason that they're so much scarier, because you know how like I'm the most for me when I see teenagers, I'm the most scared. You know. I think it's the scariest generations it is, And when I was a teenager, I feel like no one was scared of me. There was nothing. No. And even Jonah, who was you know, listening to punk music and stuff, he had those big jinkos on like he's not scary, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So I no offense Jonah non tek you you know.
Speaker 4: But I think because we were watching Golden Girls an empty nest, you know, there's not much to be scared of with us.
Speaker 5: But I couldn't be more scared the amount of foundation that I see some of these girls getting out from high school. And I'm like, I'm like, bebe avert your eyes, like teens are coming, you know, and she's she's.
Speaker 2: Afraid of them too.
Speaker 5: I think everybody who's not a teen is afraid of teens now, and we shouldn't. Yes Like there the fact that they are so comfortable bearing their mid drift.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: I wasn't even able to go to a pool party unless I had like three beefy teas on that like went down and that I kept on when I was swimming like that, I would have never shown my body to anybody. I might as well have been Mormon, like I had. I wanted to be wearing like full length underwear under everything, so that no one would ever see what was lurked.
Speaker 2: Between totally, totally and also the level of isn't.
Speaker 4: The other thing with teenage girls these days is that they spend a lot of money on makeup, like they for they love Sephora, whereas like we didn't have Sephora, Like we had to go to a department store and the woman working at the makeup counter would be mean to you and treat you like a piece of shit because you're not an adult, and.
Speaker 5: You'd go away with one clinique like nude like Antrol.
Speaker 4: By the way, by the way, did they still make that? Because that they do a great shade. First of all, it's big.
Speaker 2: We're sleeping on clinique. We're sleeping on.
Speaker 4: We're sleeping on clinique. You know my manager slash person. I want to be best friends with Christy Smith. Of course she'm I saw her the other day. She she whips out a lip gloss. No, but I go, that looks great.
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: And then I'm looking at the thing and I'm like, is that clinic?
Speaker 4: She's like black honey, I go, what in the hell?
Speaker 1: Jonah?
Speaker 4: I know this is boring to you, but this will be interesting with some of the listeners.
Speaker 2: She goes, you have to try it on.
Speaker 1: I tried on.
Speaker 4: I go, this is a great We were onto something as like thirteen year olds. Of course we're on Clinique, which is like the most gentle makeup.
Speaker 1: It's Jonah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know, you know the brand Clinic, but as like a teenage girl sort of like or like as a thirteen year old girl, sort of like the closest thing to like not actually being makeup, because they mostly at that time sold skincare, so sort of like your.
Speaker 5: Mom would let you get you could get from there and it wasn't that expensive. But I can't how dare she be using that? I'm not let us know and take an order and it's back.
Speaker 4: It's like I think teenage girls are wearing it again and guess what they're right.
Speaker 5: And the fact they did it. Yeah, we have a lot to learn from teens, for sure, just like we have a lot to learn from the Kardashians about contouring. We have we there's a lot to learn from them, and yet we are scared of them and we should be because they're confidence and that and that generation.
Speaker 2: Will rule the world. Those quess will rule the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we grew up more like we're watching Empty Nest and being like, what happens if, like my medicare doesn't go through.
Speaker 5: I'm just like, what do you do when your ex husband won't let it go?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like Stan?
Speaker 2: Remember Stan? What a fucking genius was Stan?
Speaker 1: Stan?
Speaker 4: When I was on SNL, we used to impersonate the Kardashians and I.
Speaker 2: Was which one were you?
Speaker 4: I can't remember Courtney, which doesn't really It wasn't one of my best. It was because Abby was she did a great Chloe, Yeah, you seem did a great Kim. I think Kristen was Chris, which is really funny, and so like the person who was sort of left was Courtney. And Courtney's a great character, like she would be a great person to impersonate. But I, you know, I was fine. My big thing was that I would say sister. I would say my sisters, I think, or some said.
Speaker 5: But I love them so much and I have long held but I don't want to do it that they wear the appropriate amount of daytime makeup. That we would all be actually happier if we put on a face like that, because why not. Listen, there's a lot to be learned. They're billionaires. And one time, one time, I was in the Javits Center, which is for those of you who don't know, the worst place on earth in New York City.
Speaker 2: It's like where they had a car show. It was a convention.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And we were sent Lennon and I were sent to the upfronts even though our show was like weeks away from being canceled, so I don't really know. We were meant to sit in the audience, but we had to pump breast milk in the public bathroom of the Javit Center. And it was a dark moment. And you know, Hollywood does usually find a way to tell you kind of who you are and the pecking order. And there we were hooked up like in public, you know, pumping, and who came out of the stall but Kim, and she waddled her little skims clad booty on over to us and she put her hand on my shoulder and she said, been there, Wow, And then skadaddled out of there. And I thought that God lesser because that was as low as a you know, as a skunk, and I thought, God, damn it, you know, And I don't know if she'd been there, but who kiss.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I had a similar story that I was going to tell from an upfronts of meeting that please and I think this must have been before that, because I don't think Kim had kids yet. But we were doing an impression of them and they invited us to They didn't invite us, but the E Network invited us to was this thing we were at the E upfront.
Speaker 2: No different one, yekay, this was the E.
Speaker 4: Upfronts for their show, and they invited us and so we got dressed up as them, which again it's strange. I'm also the other thing about Courtney is she's like kind of the tiniest one, Like she's sort of the shortest, littlest one. Yes, and I'm so much bigger than Na seem I'm like twice Na seem set so like proportionally, it didn't make sense that I was Courtney either.
Speaker 2: But anyway, we met them and well, first.
Speaker 4: Of all, Chris was so Chris is such a momager, like she was like she came up to us and she goes, she was like, you girls are funny.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to be funny, Like what do I say?
Speaker 5: Like she was sort of like she wanted to get a master class.
Speaker 4: She was like, I'm giving a speech. I don't even know if this is funny. Like she was so charming, like she just wanted to be in with us in a way that I was like, well, we are like, you know, lovingly though, you know, but doing an impression of your daughters.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure, you know.
Speaker 4: And I remember she I think she was just Kristen wasn't there, Kristin wasn't there to play her, so that was I think that was disappointing.
Speaker 2: But she was like she was like you girls are so funny, blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: But then I remember, I think it was Chloe said to us, to me and Abby, and it seem like, do you guys think we really talk like that? Because we were doing these really extreme voices, no toy so that we weren't really doing them to sound like them. We were doing them to be funny, you know, like you know, yeah, And I remember being I don't know what caught me to this what we're talking, but I remember being scared, like wanting like just wanting to be friends with them and just wanting to not be I remember us being like oh no, like we're just having fun, you know, Like I just remember immediately being.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, I don't want to have I want I want these girls.
Speaker 3: To like me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: And again, those girls were not watching Flintstones an Empty Nest. I can play you that they weren't. And so that instinct for them to like you and to approve of you, that's basic.
Speaker 2: That's survival.
Speaker 5: You're apted to an ancient survival skill as a as an animal human animal. Yes, yeah, because they're like I remember seeing in like a national geographic, like there are these monkeys. If you guys ever seen these monkeys that they live up in the in the mountains of Japan and they go to the hot springs. Have you ever seen this? It's like they go and they sit in these like hot hot springs like a hot tub while the snow comes down, and only the biggest and best looking monkeys get to sit in the hot springs. The rest of the monkeys have to sit outside the hot springs, freezing their tails off and watch the monkeys sitting in the hot springs. And so those of us who were watching Empty Nest, we're outside of the cub, right.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're right. Yeah, I'm happy to be there.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to be everyone who's watching Euphoria.
Speaker 5: Or they're inside the tub, you know, they're inside the tub. Yeah, they're inside the tub. That's okay, you know, because you know, I can't stand that tough forever.
Speaker 2: I wonder what the equivalent.
Speaker 4: You know, we were also watching Flintstones while they're watching.
Speaker 5: Like they were, well they're they're of course they're younger than me, but they were probably God, I wonder what they would have been filling there. I don't even you know what. They're so busy being beautiful that I don't think they even had time. Yeah, they were working on their billion.
Speaker 3: They're probably like on the Starbucks app ordering something really complicated.
Speaker 4: Yes, or shaking those salads, or they're watching what Olivia said that pink drink from Starbucks?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh Olivia. Olivia knows. Olivia possibly wasn't watch.
Speaker 1: Olivia knows a lot more about this stuff.
Speaker 4: Also, they'd probably be watching Save by the Bell, going, oh, Zach and all, Kelly and everyone are such dorks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, like yeah, for them, the popular girls don't even like add up. They're just like yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, My love of them is pretty deep and I and I have a lot of respect for them.
Speaker 2: And I know it's not a popular thing to say, but it's true. They are.
Speaker 5: They are absolutely to be to be feared and to be appreciated for this, for their business prowess. Yes, you know, I have another question related to this.
Speaker 4: You know how again, like shows such as Blossom or My Soul called Life you could sort of relate to. Do you think anyone related to Beverly Hills nine O, two and o or just liked watching it?
Speaker 5: Well, that's interesting because that's another one. What an obsession during high school? I had me too, And in fact, when I go down to the beach nearby my house, it is by the now the public beach, it's by the where where Brandon had the summer job.
Speaker 2: Remember at the beach house. Yeah, the beach club that which.
Speaker 4: By the way, also on say by the bell they remember they went to. They wasn't the same on the beach club problem, but they were similar.
Speaker 2: They it's similar. But yeah, the beach, the Beverly Beach, Beverly Hills Beach Club or something whatever it was.
Speaker 5: But but yeah, like again I was like, oh, life is better there, like I got to get to where that weather is, Like I'm getting out of New York and I do that. So like that also probably can probably influence my move west. And also like the idea that you could like go away with your boyfriend to Mexico. Remember that that episode where she did like went south of the border. I'm like, she's left the country with her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: And also their lockers were outside. Ugh, I mean that's living. That's what feels insane to us. Because with our school.
Speaker 4: We've talked about this on here before, Like you couldn't leave the premises for lunch, Like you couldn't. You had to have a lunch on You could maybe go to the courtyard, which is in the middle school, but that's as far as you get. Your lockers are already outside, and that high school was huge. You probably can go come and go as you please.
Speaker 2: You're halfway out of there.
Speaker 5: And also there was no natural light in our hallways, right, I don't think like it was as close to prison as it could get, Like you don't, yes, yeah, you're inside a fortress exactly. Yeah, So that was I don't think any of that was all aspirational obviously, but boy, Oh boy was it? Was it delicious to acting like adults like that at that young age.
Speaker 4: It was, I mean incredible. Yeah, they would just they went to didn't they go to Paris?
Speaker 2: I think they did. I think they did.
Speaker 5: And I also longed, like my parents weren't divorced, and I was like if only one of when did they get a divorce and then I could, like, you know, live like Dylan or like I just was like, can you just or Kelly's mom, I'm like, God, this is what's holding me back is them staying together his mom?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, somebody just leave somebody. Kelly's mom was so I mean, she had a lot of problems, right, she had a lot of problems, A lot of problems. Would also really glamorous. God, that's what I mean. I was like, I want have divorced.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I was like, yeah, like our parents are so normal.
Speaker 1: They're not like going doing cold.
Speaker 2: It was awful.
Speaker 5: I mean, what were they doing on Saturday nights? I don't know, but it wasn't exciting.
Speaker 4: Like like Kelly's mind, right, We're like, well, our parents are kind of cool.
Speaker 2: They're going out every Saturday night.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're better than us.
Speaker 5: They had a better social life that I have now, I can tell you that much.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, yeah, I mean if Sisters was on, I would still watch it every Saturday.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent. I'm gonna make my I do. I do make my daughter watch as many of the old things as I haven't turned her on to Flintstones, but I feel like her version of that. It's interesting to watch the generational her version of Flintstones as Bob's Burgers. She puts on Bob's and puts it on in the background and like and will drawer or something. But it's like she wants to constantly hear Bob's and like, I get it. I get and except for I've been you know, Mommy's on that. She's like, I fast forward your episodes. I find your voice grading I'm like, wonderful.
Speaker 2: She's like, can we call it? We look at Vanessa's clip again?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Now, were you ever.
Speaker 4: Into just to bring it back to Flintstones for a second as you did? Were you ever into the vitamins, the push pops, any of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: I do remember, I actually ate an entire bottle of Flintstone's vitamins now, yes, and I almost had to have my stomach pumped.
Speaker 1: But they felt like they were candy, right.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: I The other thing I'm fascinated about for our generation now. Lennon will say she was a latchkey kid, and I think literally her mom got home at four fifteen, but she always was She self identifies as a latch key kid. Okay, okay, but we were left alone quite a lot and so and like in like in the house, somebody was there, right, but people weren't always on you or didn't really know where you were what you were doing. And so some morning I got up at like five am. I must have been like, I don't know, seven or seven, six or seven, and I just was like, I'm gonna house one of these bottles of Flintstones vitamins. And I also remember my parents being like, she looks okay, Like nobody.
Speaker 2: Rushed me anywhere. They were like keep an eye on her.
Speaker 3: I know that was probably were mostly sugar and like food coloring.
Speaker 4: I feel like they I might be misremembering this completely, but to me, the candy that I feel like they were the most similar to was sweet tarts, like that sort.
Speaker 5: Of right right, like they were hard, they had a chalky hard but sweet and sour taste.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they were like in the shapes of like flintstones things. And of course you'd be like, oh, I just left to my own devices. Why wouldn't they beat this whole bottle?
Speaker 5: I also did that weirdly to an entire like twelve hard boiled eggs for Easter.
Speaker 2: My mom had them.
Speaker 5: I was just like, I don't know why. I just like sat down to a meal of twelve HARDI.
Speaker 2: I was like, there's a cup. She's like a couple of things wrong with that. One.
Speaker 5: These have been unrefrigerated for three weeks for Easter. Two, Like that's too many eggs. And again they weren't like worried. They were just like, she seems okay, it's like.
Speaker 4: The only person who eats who eats that many eggs as like guesst on. Remember, yeah, I'm eating the fucking weird. That's some weird shit. No, yeah, kids don't do that eat so many eggs.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I have an adult version of this problem, which is that I have like in my living room, like kind of near my couch where I watch TV a lot. I have like a lot of like edibles, but also like a lot of like CBD gummies, which I'm like, these these don't have anything, and then they're just CBD.
Speaker 2: Any think they're good for you, but they're good for you.
Speaker 4: But I'm like they're delicious, like they're like gummy, but then they have sugar on them, and I'm like, I'll have a few of these, you know, like ye'll have more, but I'm like, I just want the candy of it so much, like I don't even care about the CBD effect.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, it's five am.
Speaker 4: I just woke up on my so the TV's blaring, all the lights are on. You know, it's not a great way to live your life when you're i'll say it forty something.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's like you're you're in mister roper. You're in mister roper category.
Speaker 5: It's like you are like on the last years of your life, like, man, make the most of them, like golden years. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, So I'm slowly dying for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I mean I guess, I guess, like why aren't we all buying flintstones vitamins and just down in those, you know, because you probably shouldn't, but but why not go back to them at.
Speaker 1: Least, why not?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And what about the pushpop?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, go ahead? Oh the push pops I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the pushups they were Surbert and orange right, yeah, they were orange. Yeah, but they've been rebranded by Nestle as just like they still make them, but they're not affiliated with the Flintstones anymore.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I love that you have that right on the tip of your tongue. Joanah like you.
Speaker 3: Yeah stuff, Yeah, I just looked it up. But we've talked about it before in the podcast. This is something that I know that is not really that useful in my daily life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, Jessica, you're in luck because we are about to take a commercial break and then we're going to be back with a food oriented game.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I can't wait that it's going to be bad way. So we'll be right back after this break and we're back, all right. So now we're going to play a game. It's called Congratulations You Baked Yourself.
Speaker 1: Congratulations You Baked Yourself.
Speaker 3: And in this game, we're going to discuss three culinary dishes that are making a comeback according to Southern Living magazine, and we're going to make the one we're most excited about that will be theme.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if you picked up on this, Jessica, but it's a play on the term congratulations.
Speaker 2: You played yourself.
Speaker 5: Okay, no, I didn't get that, but I appreciate the back. I haven't the explanation. Much like Chris Carnac, sometimes you need to be.
Speaker 4: Having these funny kids to tell you.
Speaker 2: What's what's what? Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: The first one is it's called pear salad. Pear salad is an exhibit that perhaps Southerners do not know what the word salad means. Okay, anyways, So basically it's like iceberg, lettuce, a romaine, a pair mayonnaise, like in a pile, sort of like all piled on top of each other in a pile.
Speaker 5: I don't want that. You don't want that, okay, people, that sounds disgusting. Actually yeah yeah, And it does have these cherries on it, like kind of like similar to like there's.
Speaker 4: An additional ingredient which lightly sells me on it, which is shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 5: I honest know, I don't know who, what psychopath came up with this, but this is not who something's wrong with these.
Speaker 2: Flavors coming together. Joan, are you interested in this at all?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like it goes back to eighteen ninety nine. I think it's like if you're at like kind of a fancy place and you had like this kind of like high high end ingredients, it might be kind of an interesting thing, right, dry, But I don't think I could eat like a whole pair of sels, right It would be tough.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm holding judgment until I hear the next two to see which one I'd be the most interested in. But it's not it's not something I feel in this moment I need to be eating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I agree with with Jessica. I think that's the cheese. Is not the cheese. Yeah, I can't mind.
Speaker 1: Okay, no cheese.
Speaker 4: Now the next one is crackling corn bread. And this is a meaty, savory, Southern cornbread favorite. Now okay, now it's a natural, it's this is tough.
Speaker 1: This is tough.
Speaker 4: So you know, cornbread is the hottest of the hot topics in the South, apparently according to this article.
Speaker 3: Okay, I guess if you work at Southern Living.
Speaker 4: So this person says, you know, yeah, sugar blasphemy. If you don't, it's tasteless rubbish. So wading into the cornbread wars of another variety might seem risky, but here we go. Okay, so it is a quintessential Southern food. This article really takes a long time to talk. It often only crops up in kitchens a few times a year, and most folks don't want to do the work of rendering the pork to make the cracklings. So pork cracklings are bits of pork that remain after pork fat trimmings are rendered. When the trimmings are heated, the fat will turn to liquid and the leftover bits, the meaty little morsels, are the cracklings.
Speaker 1: Okay, jack it. By the way, chicken.
Speaker 2: Cracklings can also be made from okay.
Speaker 4: Anyway, The point is this kracklin bread has butter, flour, corn meal, granulated sugar, kosher salt, buttermilk, large eggs, and then of course pork cracklands.
Speaker 1: The pork cracklands.
Speaker 4: And I know you guys are going, hey, can you say it one more time so we can absolutely jump through a window.
Speaker 5: It's just like ASMR. You just keep saying pork cracklings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: That's pretty good. It sounds pretty good, much better than the pear salad.
Speaker 4: I guess I start to say that it is shocking to me that the corn bread has actual pork in it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is for me.
Speaker 4: This is something, Jonah, I think our dad would definitely love, but I don't know if it's for me. But Jessica, it sounds like you're interested in it more so than the pear salad.
Speaker 5: Yes, for sure, But I don't need heat in my bread, so that's not like it's not something I'm gonna like.
Speaker 4: If I never had it, I'll be upset. It's not a must. Yeah, okay, no, no, yeah, Jonah, what about you? Are you interested in crackling corn bread?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I am. I mean, I'm not big.
Speaker 3: I don't think it needs but you know, you know, Jerem maguire was like, you have hello, Yeah, I'm like you any kind of variation on corn bread, I'm probably going to be into it.
Speaker 5: I agreed with you, like any kind of sweet bread, and that's what the Midwest, you guys do.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: I remember going to a baby shower outside of in Rockford, Illinois, and they served a cinnabon, basically a cinnamon bun before the meal ever began.
Speaker 2: That was your appetizer.
Speaker 5: So I do think that a sweet bread is a wonderful thing and insane for your blood sugar. You already have diabetes by the time you have launched into the first course.
Speaker 4: Well it sounds like okay, so we've got kind of mixed reviews. Now, Jonah, do you want to read this last one. I'm not I'm going to reserve judgment, but I but I want to see what Jessica thinks of this last one.
Speaker 3: Please, yes. So this last one is pumpkins cheffon Pie. And what's so funny is this was written by someone named Mary Anne Williams. And Williamson I was like, why is she why is she writing?
Speaker 2: She's taking a break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a that's a like a step down to be writing about this pumpkin chaffon pie. But yeah, and so the author says, Pumpkin cheffon pie was never on my radar going up. Okay, it was okay, we got Williams kind of life story going Let's okay, it's a classic pumpkin pie. Ingredients they're used in a different way. So you got ginger snaps for the crust, butter to bind the ginger snap. You got sugar eggs unflavored gelatin, which a signature ingredient for Chiffon pies for the structure, whole milk, pumpkin pie spice, okay, pumpkin pure and orange zest, heavy whipping cream, and powdered sugar. I guess it's like just a different consistency of pumpkin cheffar.
Speaker 2: It's like pumpkin but different. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's less heavy, it's more like looks like it's like lighter and more kind of airy than one of those really dense pumpkin pies you've been grown up beaten for Thanksgiving.
Speaker 5: Okay, like, yeah, got it a little more air whipped into it. Yes, I like my pumpkin pie pretty straightforward. Okay, so and and so I don't need to mess with that. I'm gonna stick with my crafnes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's very nice.
Speaker 2: What do you think about the pumpkin pie person?
Speaker 4: But I am somehow really as good as I am at saying the word kracklens. I'm not interested in meat, as you said, Jessica, I'm not interested in me in my corn bread. So I think of these three things, if I had to pick one, I probably would pick this one because it seems light and easy enough. It seems, you know, we've sort of gone through this article. There's there are quite a few different ones. This one seems like one of the least disgusting to me, So I would say I'm interested in pumpkin cheffon pie. You know, of course, when I think about it, when you know someone was serving this. Whenever I go anywhere and the dessert's not chocolate, I'm like, what the like, why am I here?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Your restaurant goes, yeah, dust your chocolate in their mind, which I've found this at a lot of restaurants lately. They're like, none of the desserts are chocolate, And I go, are you guys out of your fucking mind? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you want to close?
Speaker 1: Ally?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you're begging for me to leave a Yelp review that time.
Speaker 3: Do you feel how do you feel about like a cheese plate when that served for dessert.
Speaker 2: It's not a dessert.
Speaker 4: I'm dessert first, and then I'd like to go back to a cheese plate and just eat it until I'm sick, but not gonna.
Speaker 5: Start with it me too. Yeah, it's fucking crazy. I mean, the French do a lot of things right, but I don't. I don't think they end on cheese. They gotta yeah, they got you gotta slip in some chocolate there. Yeah, yeah, you got to you simply myself. But Jonah, what do you think about a pumpkin chiffon pie?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's you know, pumpkin pie is a real wild card for me because I think it can be really good, but a lot of times it's not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to think back to the pie we just had Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Did we like it? Yeah? It was okay.
Speaker 5: Now, well here's the thing, like, don't give it to me if it's real pumpkin.
Speaker 2: I don't want that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, from the can, Yeah, I want it with condensed milk. I want it from the eighties. I want my pumpkin pie to be from the eighties.
Speaker 3: Every time I make it, it's like, you gotta add that spice and you got to add like a whole jar of it. I feel like to get the right flavor because it's right. The pumpkin is so kind of bland on its own. So that's not really profile. You give me a piece of carrot cake, right.
Speaker 2: Thank you, but give me. If you give me, you give me crosting.
Speaker 4: You may as well just walk out the door right now, just throw it into the garbage.
Speaker 5: And you know what, Los Angeles may be a lot of things, the home of Three's Company, the home of Beverly Hills nine No. Two, and oh, but they love a wit crosting on a fucking cheesecake carrot cake. And you know what you gotta be, you get it a shamed of yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to actually agree with Jessica and this. I think the crackling corn bread, that's that's where i'd go. I think that, I think I would try it. I don't think I need the cracklings, but it's corn bread.
Speaker 1: I'm going to eat it.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be good. I mean, it's hard to mess with corn bread.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, it's your biggest shot. It's your best shot for that mom. Interesting, I think that's a fair sea.
Speaker 4: So two votes for crackling corn bread and one for pumpkin chiffon pie. So it's se that crackling corn bread baked itself.
Speaker 1: Wow, guys are so weird. I'll wait to you hear it with you sound effect.
Speaker 2: You're so fucking I remember the name.
Speaker 1: How did we get so?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, so much perfect. It's really perfect.
Speaker 1: You've done it.
Speaker 4: I mean, where can people find you now that they've listened to us?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, if you want more weird stories. And June and I do talk a fair amount about our childhoods on The Deep Dive. You know, we bounce from whether or not June has over blonded her hair and whether it's falling out to you know, deep grief about her about her mother who's passed, but in the same sentence sometimes but we Yeah, The Deep Dive is our podcast on Lemonada Media and or wherever you get your podcasts and on Instagram.
Speaker 2: I am, I don't know what it is, Saint Clair.
Speaker 5: Jessica, but The Deep Dive actually has a really exciting academy that Vanessa boy. Would we love to have you come on as a dean of something, so think about you know what you could be possibly.
Speaker 2: There's some examples of your peep.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, we have you know, my former nanny is our kind of culinary arts. We have a dean of hydration, Matt McConkey, because he drinks like gowns and gowns of water a day. We have a dean of Cozy valisac about how to yeah tape. She's taught us the art of table scaping. But essentially, people can join the Deep Dive Academy of Significance. They're pursuing their degree insignificance, and we have a one hundred percent acceptance right and everybody gradual no matter whether you definitely met an assignment.
Speaker 4: I'm definitely going to think on what we'd love to have you in to say that you and June have both been guests on like Bitch Session stuff too. I would like to I feel spiritually aligned with your podcast and with Bitch Sash in the podcast world.
Speaker 5: You are already there, Vanessa. The fact we're not together every Tuesday night is something like the fact that we don't have stone houses next to each other is beyond me. Like we all went to college together. Jonah is my older brother, Like we always kindergarten together.
Speaker 2: I'm already so we're all think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that there's a nice uh you know, sort of a crossover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a nice crossover, really nice crossover.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, So if you want to join that, it's the Deepdive Academy dot com.
Speaker 2: Just come and join us, Come and join us. The head Mistress is amazing.
Speaker 4: Well, what a great time we've had with you, Jessica, and thank you for being here, and thank you to everyone for listening. If you enjoyed this, please subscribe to the podcast and keep an eye up for next week's episode of How Did We Get Weird? We will discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones, shows we watched, and more absolute fun and such