Speaker 1: Hey guys, it's spilled Courtney with an army of normal folks. And we continue now with part two of our conversation with big Al Haldron. Right after these brief messages from our Jenner sponsors, somebody had an elephant from a circus to drag stuff in Joplin.
Speaker 2: While we were there in the church parking lot. There was a circus that was coming into town and they were going to be performing on that Friday night. And the tornado hits whatever a few days prior to the arena's gone, and the town. Who's going to a circus? You're trying to You're looking for Fluffy because it's your dog's running around, right, So the circus people came over to the church and they and circus people are in interesting and there's a whole other out holding story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think everybody listening knows that circus people are interesting.
Speaker 2: They're very interesting. They're an interesting lot.
Speaker 1: Parney's roadies, all of it. Yeah, they were very gips and all kinds of things. I supposed to say. This song about probably is a song about that, And I think what I just said is probably politically incorrect, but oh.
Speaker 2: Well, oh well, it's me and you right, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: So about ninety five thousand other people listening.
Speaker 2: But it's okay, yeah, that's all right, that's.
Speaker 1: Maybe one hundred thousand. So tell the story, okay.
Speaker 2: Now that I'm scared. So the circus came and said, because there was a lot of kids and everybody was in line all that, and they said, can we perform in the parking lot? We just like to entertain some of the kids. So they brought out they were and said, also, we're not able to make any money. We got to we got to pay some of the bills. Could we give camel rides in the parking lot? So they set their camel ride up in the parking lot and for two dollars, they'd throw three or four kids on that and they'd give camel ride in the parking lot. Made a fortune made, of course, the kids were riding the camel. The jugglers are out there juggling and doing all that. Well, they ended up we got clear from that where we were at at the church. When you just say it was on like the southeast side of the of the area that was affected. If you go on the northwest side, they were out there and they had a problem they had. There was a big ravine, huge ravine, and however would the tornado come in? It just thinks, I mean, you just remember this thing. This was an F five. It was on the ground for twenty two miles and it only moved at a couple miles an hour, which are the dangerous ones because it's a grinder. It's just a grinder. It's barely moving hardly at all, and so it just grinds everything up and then just pukes it up. You know, two houses down whatever it Brent picked up here, it grinds, it pukes it when it gets too heavy, and it just grinds trees, cars, flipping them up, carrying trees and just nuts. So it's throwing all these all the heavy stuff when it come over top that ravine, everything that it's pulling, the big heavy stuff dropped it in the ravine, which is like thirty cars and trucks. So at the bottom of this ravine it's like a just a jungle mess of cars. They've got to get him out of there because there's gas and oil and they're afraid of polluting the river that was down there and the revine. Every I didn't ask, but probably was probably was one hundred and I think we looked at one hundred and fifty eight people killed. I would say, yes. So we get over there, and the problem was the ravine was so it was so steep. They would put a guy, uh, they'd put a mountaineering guy, rescue guy on the cable and then the truck would just start letting the cable out and he'd let the cable the guy down the ravine. He'd hook the cable on down there, get out of the way, and they would drag a truck up. Well, they didn't bring a big enough wreckord. Wow, and then almost flipped the big it was a big record, but it was they needed the big semi records, which you've you know with your other business. Probably sometimes they needed one of those, and it needed to be farther away and it needed to be tethered to something because then they start pulling it up up it was it was about ready to flip it over into the ravine. So they stopped stop that, they let it back down. Well, elephants during the brother they used to set up circus tants with elephants. They have these huge, huge leather harnesses they put on them and then they would just take that elephant and they would hook a cable on the back and they would they have they have a skid plate on those big tip poles, and they put the big out and they would hook and it had a ring on the bottom of it. They hook onto that and the elephant just walks away and it just skid plates and as that thing comes up, the tip goes up. So the guy was like, eh, we'd pull those out. He had elephant can pull x amount of pounds. So they just put the guy put a huge cable on the back of that elephant and let the elephant backed up and let the guy down hooked on. The elephant just went you take a watermelon and you walk in front of him and the elephant will just follow the watermelon. He walked over and all said, we look, becomes a car flipping over the thing.
Speaker 1: Crazy.
Speaker 2: And they did that all for promotion stuff. So Alex, you get some and so he was like, he said, we can't do that many of them, but let's let's get the ones out that you need off the top. Because once they got some of them out of that that were really nestled in there, then they did that. So all of a sudden. So we sat there and watched them pull two or three over and then he put the elephant back in the truck and they went on. So just just crazy, you know that. It's just crazy kind of stuff, you know, with that and build the things that we saw. The house was completely gone except every I mean it was. It was just a concrete slab next to the hospital that had the million dollar helicopter laying upside down. They couldn't get it out of there when they saw it was too late coming in. They couldn't fly fly off, had to leave it. It was on top of the helicopter, on the helipa on the hospital and the helipad, and it just flipped it off and landed it down almost on the road. The house right next to it, the pad was completely cleaned off except three bowling balls in a triangle right where they were in the closet. Never moved them.
Speaker 1: You're kidding me.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what the heck wouldn't I believe this? And one of the guys at the church said, did you see the three bowling balls? I said, well, we saw a house. He goes right, yeah, left of the hospital with the three bowling balls. He goes, nobody will move them. It's there all. It's this crazy, superstitious thing. There's something about those three. Never rolled them, never moved them. That's where they were. The guy went and got him. They made him put him back because everybody want to see the three bowling balls.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Across the street from that literally was a nursing home and a church. And this church had a It was made out of TV antenna, TV tower, you know, triangle trusting, huge cross. The church is gone and the cross is stand in The nursing home is gone. When I mean gone, it looks like it was never there, just a slab. It just wiped them clean off it and that TV tower and they have no idea and the TV tower and the cross was still standing. That's not a god thing. I don't know what is bill?
Speaker 1: All right? So that was the Joplin experience. Yeah, and after that you thought, well we kind of figured out how this works, yep, And so you created your own big al Munsey response team. What was the next one.
Speaker 2: The next one was actually in Indiana. Went to drive very far for this one thing. Yeah, it was in Henryville, and we ended up down in Saliarsville. Henryville's down southern Indiana, south of Columbus, southern part of the state, between Columbus and the Louisville off right off. It sets right on Highway sixty five. We came through it on the way down. On the way down here, we got to Henryville and they didn't need us. They had it was a it's a really little tail, it's a really really little town. They really didn't need it. So they sent us on to Saliersville, Kentucky, and it's same tornadoes, same tornado spots. It came through Henryville, came across going east west to east, came through Henryville, absolutely just destroyed. It hit the high school. They had just gotten out of school. They thank goodness. They released the kids early, had a school bus and a hair salon setting upside down. The town just got squished pretty bad. But while we got there, there was some local barbecue guys and some people seven, so they had plenty of food. But they got to Salarsville, this thing then it started jumping, and a lot of hills and hollers and it was jumping over these ravines. But it got down into Saliersville and just in these ravines and it didn't move. It moved again real slow, and it just was crushing. The houses were a little more random. You had to drive back to places, and I just have to say it was a little tougher there. You didn't want to sneak up on some of these guys because we saw some shotguns and I'm like, hey.
Speaker 1: Worried about loaders.
Speaker 2: I think they just carry them with them all the time. It was and I had and this time I've got my oldest daughter with me. Katie was with me and both of my girls have gone on one one trip with me. So it was again Bob Ball and Rocky, you know, the King of Barbecue, We're with us. It a small group. Tony Raleigh, my buddy that was that had got killed in the car wreck, and Katie. We were all in one vehicle and Bob and Rocky were in another one. So we got Sagersville and there was no place to set up because we try to get someplace. We need some water, we need a garden hose, we can just clean things, electricity if we can find it. So on the outskirts of town there's a funeral home. He said, well, we're good, but he said, we got a funeral in three days for the eight people that were killed in town. Several children, several kids. He said, we have a huge funeral here. You can be here, and I've got it and I'll provide it to you and I'll give you some money. And and again happened again. Grocery store just down the street. Colors are temping down. Well, I go down, I thought. Tony's like, rinse and repeat, let's go do it. We bought every We bought all their meat. They didn't have as much. What they had was probably five hundred Totino's pizzas. And I'm not talking big ones. I'm talking you know, the little midsize going on decent sized microwave you could go and she he's like, you guys, got any interested in a Totino's pizza. I'm like, are they in the freezer? And he goes yeah. I said how much? He said, oh, quarter apiece. I gotta get rid of him, because I'm woman to do with all of them. I said, well take them all. So I throw all those puppies in the truck and bring back to them and they're like rock. He's like, oh man, you're down there, I knew you were going to that grocery store. I knew you went and cut that deal. I said, I got you sport. But I said, what's a Totina pizza on a smoker? Dude? He said, I don't know, but we're going to find out. And that has become a thing.
Speaker 1: Smoked pizza awesome.
Speaker 2: And if you don't believe me, go buy. You got to buy the cheap stuff. Don't buy good ones. You buy the cheap Tatina's, throw them on a smoker. So all these barbecue guys, you really think.
Speaker 1: Alex, I don't think to Tina's is ever now going to be a sponsor of the show.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, there by the cheap ones, Well we do. Totinas will now become a sponsor of the show, because they should, because they should do that.
Speaker 1: And they should make a pizza called the Twister.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the Big Rocky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Big Big Rocky. It was lacking, could be sausage twister, could be pepperoni.
Speaker 2: And what I should say have said was inexpensive because we only paid a quarter apiece for him, and we and those things and the kids and the line. Once the word got out, they were.
Speaker 1: Like these people are smoking pizza.
Speaker 2: It was unbelievable at the funeral home, at the funeral home for Good and it ran down and I don't know how long. That line was several hundred people for hours, and they were burning taking those pizzas off, and Rocky was throwing a little extra parmesan on them and throw a little barbecue on him. And and they're quick. I mean he's making them, he's pulling them off as fast as they can, and they're just cutting them into force, throwing them on a plate. Went crazy.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: The state police had set up a station they always have, they always build it, put up a couple of tents on the remote because they're going out on calls and gas calls and people looters and all that kind of stuff. Well, those guys came down, they saw, they came. We got in there and got set up late that evening, came in. We had ribs with us, and so I'd always bring in some stuff that we want to eat because Rocky makes what he calls the pork Trinity. It's pork wrapped and pork wrapped in pork, so it's on Dee's sausage and he butterflies a tenderloin, puts on dewey sausage in it and then wraps it with thick apple wood smoke bacon wraps it and then we cut it. When you once it's all done, slow cooks that puppy for many how many hours and it's it's submersed in apple cider vinegar. Okay, pull that out, cook it and so we have when you slice, it looks like a car tire.
Speaker 1: So it's like a.
Speaker 2: Hub with all baby sausage. Just putting on a bun, put in a sandwich, one of the greatest things delivery. Just dip it and barbecue sauce and have at it. Well, those guys heard about that. They actually came by and so we gave one of the the head. He was the head of the northern Northern Kentucky. He's head with the entire state police for the northern half of Kentucky. He came down, he took a couple of them and these guys and all of a sudden, here comes all these cop cars. They're just coming in. I mean, the boys were coming in. He's like, he's like, you got you one of those things. Rocky said, well, yeah, I've got a feeder pet war like that. Just feed those guys, Rocky, I said, I'm going to get mileage out of them. Next two days, I could get anywhere. Police escort are where I went coming because there's traffic jam. It's the only one little road in now. I just you get in behind him. They just take you right down the middle. At sixty miles an hour. I could get any We had to get gas and get places. If not, we'd be there all day. So they got down the stairs. All of a sudden, they've picked their tent up and moved and moved to the funeral home parking lot because they were doing police escort the next day for the funeral also, but they moved in. He's like, why should we go away from the food. We've been trying to find food for these guys. I said, we'll feed you. So there's thirty twenty thirty State police cop cars a plus. We just leave our stuff out. What are you going to do steal it? I mean, these guys are arm So there's some photographs of us. It was hilarious. So the Toyota guys always put magnets, Toyota magnets on their trucks, they ay, and we take pr pictures for them. Hey, Toyota can solve any problem, even at a tornado, and they use it for all their publicity. I told the officer and the night we were getting ready to leave, said, hey, would you be up for a couple of really cool pictures? I said, I want to spoof our general manager. So there's a picture of all of the guys and Katie's standing there going with her hands like this, and three of the officers with hands on their pistols like ready to ready to jump us, and we're all on the truck like like they're going to search us with that. But make sure they could see the Toyota, and I said, I sat back and said, so sorry about the trucks. It didn't go as well as we thought. They've been pounded all the vehicles. Sorry, sorry, Chad, He's like, what the heck you guys playing with us and what? So there's so there's some there was some fun picture. Now on the way home, Katie had to be back in school, so we were going to and through through a Sunday. We're going to have to drive all night because she got to be back in school. That next you know, at eight o'clock the next so we're barely going to get her. Just get back in time for it, going at sixty miles an hour, but it's hills and hollers.
Speaker 1: I said.
Speaker 2: I told the police. I said, you got any pull because I didn't know who he was at this time. Told him guy said, any guy's going to pull with the the state police guys. I said, he's like, that's Northern that guy you've been giving crap to for two days, that's Northern Kentucky's superintendent. He said why, I told him he was just go talk to him. I said, I need to drive ninety miles an hour through the Northern Kentucky to get this kid home for school. He pulled out his business card. I never I honestly never looked at the back of it. He wrote something on the back and then he radioed and he said, okay, gold Chrysler van plate number dooo do do do whatever it was he said, got carte blanche to the Ohio River. If you see him, please escort no one stop him. Just escort him. And he has my card and will identify him health and we'll wave at you if you pull up beside him. His name's such and such. Holdron got his daughter trying to get her back to school. He's been helping our family and our friends down here. We need to take good care of him. Getting there as soon as you can, he said, Now when you cross the river, I can't help you. In Indiana, and I had hammered down. I don't know how fast a Chrysler van will go, but we found out that night, and we had the hammer down, and sure enough, all of a sudden they come out and I saw some lights come on and then off, and then right beside me, he's waving. I waved at him, he said, and he pulled out in front of me and he and I was. I was on and cleared all the way clear to through Louisville through. Yeah. So it was, you know, so fun. So, you know, we see a lot, we've seen a lot of tragedy with it and heard a lot of crazy stories. But people, I will tell you, you can make something. Really. It's been so positive for my for my with my family, with all these things, with my daughter, the lessons and the people. She's you know, freshman's sophomore like high school?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: When Kate went, yeah, that she had. She was going up and talking to older people and serving them and taking them meals and just listening to them cry and parents talk about we've lost everything, we have no insurance. What we have left is what we have left, just the lessons and the appreciation for what you have is remarkable.
Speaker 1: So again, army of normal Folks is about normal folks seeing areas of need and filling it, which is exactly what this is not part of anything. Just accept humanity. Yes, sir, tell me about the last one that you've been on.
Speaker 2: The last one was really was the most recent one, most recent one, and actually.
Speaker 1: It's not the last. You're going to keep doing it.
Speaker 2: Us doing it was in as actually up and it was an Indian. Again we've been solving Indiana got hit holes. Probably about a third of that community, which would have been the southern part of the tornado, just came through it, jumped and jumped over a cemetery of all things, kind of weird, jumped over the cemetery and just took out a hilarrea. We did not do a lot there other than we really took a load of generators because that's what they really needed. A lot. Some of the houses were damaged.
Speaker 1: Are you every time calling up people and saying, I'm going here, I need money? Yeah, they just just coming out with fifteen dollars Facebook. Facebook's a wonderful time. They're just rolling out. And then we got a pocketful of money, and you're going to spend it where you think it needs most, and people trust you with that, and you don't come back with any of it.
Speaker 2: That's correct. That's a perfect summary of exactly when this time they needed generous we bought.
Speaker 1: I had eight, once again, stopping every home depot and those on the way in.
Speaker 2: Actually I had a little I had a little bit of a couple of days time. I went to twelve pawn shops and bought all the generators I could, and so and exp because I need a place I can wheel and deal that and I don't need new ones. They're only going to need them for a week or so. So I just got used inner And they're like, now every pawn shop thinks that the price of a generator should be new, And I said, if I want to buy new, I'll just go to Minard's and get a brand new one. But I'm wanting to buy yours as a matter of fact, I'll buy them all. So how much. Well they're four dollars apiece. I said, oh, you said one hundred and twenty five bucks. That'd be great. I'll just load them up. And the guy says, well, one fifty and I said, well that's great. I guess I didn't hear you the first time. Well, so I heard it the second time. But I want them all started up. And by the way, all those extension cords laying over there in that bucket, you're going to throw those in two because how many generators have you sold this week? And the answer was zero. And Al's going to take six of them, put them in the back. And I said, and we'll just go in and I said, I want them all with full tanks a gay. So we take gas can's extension cords. And that's what we were. And it was great because when you think about it, was really interesting. Roger is a gentleman that an older gentleman that I am usher with at church. He is an extra ordinary human being. He talks exactly one hundred and eighty degrees as much as I do. I think Roger in the first year, I think.
Speaker 1: Hey, Chris, what's it like in a room with those two guys. Yeah you hear yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Roger spoke seven words to me in the first year. I assured with him the whole year. Wonderful guy. He is a working machine. He would be, he would he would, he would be. You wouldn't need an extra new machine to stack lumber. Roger could stack it as fast as that. I mean, unbelievable. He's just just a neat, neat guy. And so he was the only one who went with me. And so I went and grabbed the generators and I said, you want to go? He said absolutely, and had never went and done anything like this, just went with me. He's in and out of the back. But we couldn't get into the area, could not get out. They had they had.
Speaker 1: It all blocked off, all.
Speaker 2: Cordon off the city. The city guys were blocking off. I said, look, I'm in and out. I and I went, and so I and I even went this time. I did try to go through the which is always a mistake. It's always a mistake. Permission is Forgiveness is much easier than permission. And so but I came across an assistant fire chief that was there from an adjacent that were there there staffing one of the fire departments because the local fire departments out in that area because they have gas fires all the time, and just so these guys are man in there. So I ran this young kid. I said, I can't get in there, and I got these generators. They just want me to drop them off. I said, I know more than all of you. I've been to nine ten of these. I know how it goes. These are all going home with the employees that are here. They're going to steal them all because that's what they're going to do. Seeing it done, seeing them load them in their trucks, heard them in the stories.
Speaker 1: Told me.
Speaker 2: I said, I'm taking them directly to people, whether I have to drive through the playground area or not. He goes, Ah, the police are a little jumping whatever. I said. I said, so, what's your position? He said, I'm fire chief at a little lot coal out here. He goes, but I'm a county sheriff too. I said, get in the truck. I said, you had anything to eat? He goes, we haven't eaten for I said, and we don't have any smokers. When I don't have my guy who's with I just got Roger. So I said, well, we're going to go to lunch wherever you want in town. I'm buying. He was really I said yeah, I said, you get me in there now. So we pull up. He's like cousins with the guy holding the you know, blocking the road. He goes, just get out of the way. You don't want to argue with this guy. You're gonna We're gonna be here for an hour. So we went. We were only there for a few hours, but just he had people that just need electricity, and so we fire them all up. Some of them are new, you put oil in them. We just get them fired up, get them going, run cords into him. It was the least of anything we've ever done. But the ten people that we took jenerators to it changed their life. Maybe for just a day or two, but it changed their life.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, m give me al give our listeners the most memorable story you have of all of these? What do you call this thing? Hotshots? What do you call yourselves when you go do this? Do you even call yourself anything? All right?
Speaker 2: I mean, we're just gonna call it.
Speaker 1: We're guys, We're just gonna call it the Mounsie Mobile disaster Relief. Perfect, all right, the mobile monthly disaster relief that is basically al hitting up everybody he knows from money and time of need and driving into what you called hell. Give us, give us maybe the most memorable from a a standpoint of you know, driving out, you made a difference.
Speaker 2: Ah, I would say, I would. I would say if it was Joplin, it was that first one because we were so wrong.
Speaker 1: Besides Joplin. Yeah, something something you haven't heard, something we haven't heard. Tell us, tell us what else? I look. Yeah, I'm hoping people hear you and say there's something I could do. And the next time there's a disaster within five hundred miles of me, I'm gonna go raise fourteen thousand dollars, look up my van and trailer and I'm going and I'm gonna cook, and I'm gonna serve. This is I'm sitting here, actually listening to you, thinking I've got a lumber yard here with every tool and trailer and things known to mankind. It is something I could do, And I think it would be cool to take my son's and see what service looks like in the face.
Speaker 2: Of next time we come south. We're just gonna scoop you on the way, Tyler.
Speaker 1: But in the face of I mean, let's be candid. Sure people have lost everything, including family members in these things. They are desperate, and you're rolling in serving, and so I'm hoping people will be motivated when they hear you to think, why couldn't I do that? An army of normal folks serving in areas of need. What that we haven't heard are things that people might see and what they can expect.
Speaker 2: And probably probably Ida, which was New Orleans area grand Isle.
Speaker 1: We had a that's dangerous down there.
Speaker 2: It was very dangerous. We were so dumb that we don't know what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Sometimes will tell me about Ida and Grande.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that was a crew and I had Fortunately, I had two really good Munsey City Police officers with me in our a truck.
Speaker 1: And how many of you went there was six that time, two trucks, trucks taking a smoker.
Speaker 2: Smokers are already there. We pulled, we pulled a trailer down of supplies. I don't know how many cookies we took this time. It was nuts. It was I think we had one.
Speaker 1: Hundred dozen, one hundred dozen cookies and six guys. Two cops are among the six guys.
Speaker 2: And they have enough ammunition under that back seat and they have a full auto with them. I got full auto. I mean that's and he one of them. I mean, and you're headed a grand a grand as we're we're rolling down these guys because they have badges, they drive like a bat out of hell. I mean, I'm pulling a trailer and I'm trying to keep up and it's it's hard, and they these guys are rolling, I mean, they are rolling. So it was a great trip. Dear friend Kenny Glob went with me, and as goes with me. He's kind of right hand a man on some of these trips with that gives me more crap than anybody in the world. But you know, still a still taking brother by another mother. Well, so we go, We're all the way, We're going all the way down there, and when you get down into grand Isle, you know, that's where that's where the pirates and now the drug dealers, that's where they're bringing in all. That's where the drugs are coming in. One of the great places are great, very very very tough, very very very well. They can't get all of the bridges have been.
Speaker 1: By the way, were you surprised by the dialect because it's an interesting dialect in and around there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess yes, a little bit. It catches me off because I laugh because I only know the dialect by movies, right, and it's always played up pretty hard. I always know it by by Adam Sandler, you know, by the guy that was. That's about the only thing that way I really have it.
Speaker 1: But that's what we're talking about. We're talking about.
Speaker 2: It was. It was we were at a church and we had we had great accommodations which were which were a very large that had power. Because we were on there was kind of a niche in there and this church or the larcher and the pastor or the associate pastor there was wonder if he said, just pick you a room out and we are fixed. We will, My ladies are fixing this huge breakfast every morning for all of you. You can just take a room. We will lock it. You can leave all your stuff in there. You don't have to move it every day. Sleeping bags, we got air mattresses for you. We just normally don't have that. They were also a location that was where all supplies were coming in, so I didn't even have to big barrow. I just walk out in the morning, load the trucks up. We'd throw thirty tarps in shovels, just fill it full, and then we were going to We were going to a home depot and buying other things that we would need if we need a chain saw or something.
Speaker 1: You hit everybody up for money on the way down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, and our goal is to come back. We need only enough money to fill that tank for the last time and then get the months it was zero and if not, we throw it in the money bag of the seat. So we got down there, and the problem was none of the local none of the people that had any sense and that knew anything, would take food out into grand Isle. Those people have been isolated. Some of them had an't eat anything in three days. All food's gone. They've been wiped off because they're scared of the people that are out there. They said, these are scary people, and guys from the church are I going. You guys don't want to go? Well, of course all you got to do is tell us six that we don't shouldn't go do something. And of course we're like we're in, we're going, we're going, and now when we go anymore, because on the way down there we had got a report that there was a gentleman after it hit. Just remember the things that are in swamps that got shoved inland by the surge ten miles like snakes, like very large, very very very large snakes, and alligators and everything else just got washed in. Lady and husband down the basement to get stuff out. He said, how do you go on out and get that. I'm going to get grab one more thing. She never saw him again. The gator had him to the arm and drug him off. Wow, she never saw him again at that time. I would have to say that. The next thing I did was go to my gun safe and we loaded several clips into the glock and it was and then I had two of them with me and they were in the console of the truck. And we never not had one with us. Because where you're at, you're in washed areas where had been flooded. Would you'd once in a while you could you could see where gators had drugged. We really never saw any with that, but the locals were saying, oh, yeah, they're over there. There's one there's one behind them. He said, we had three gators in our swimming pool. We came out that morning and there's three glligators in the swimming pool. And so here's the thing you got to go do that we've never taken. Chris been with me with one. We had a neighbor lady and her son wanted to go, and that was down at Livonia, Arkansas. We typically do not take a lot of ladies with us, just because sometimes there's things that I'm going to go do and that we might say that out of respect. I don't want my wife there. It's a boy's trip. It's like it's like a golf trip. There's sometimes I don't want my daughter over there because Dad might go do something. I'm not saying I'd ever regret it, but I might borrow something. It just happens. Bill things happened. So they so we ended up we were there, so we were taking meals down there and then they diverted us and said that they got a bridge and a boat just got like hundreds of meals taken in from a different feeding state and I think they were taken in by the state police. So it was a different grip. So ours just went to a different feeding station. We just moved stuff all day long. But we went into some areas and that's what and that's what I'll tell everybody. We really had very few problems ever, And we were in some of the poorest of the poor areas down in that Grand Isle area, in some of the area where they or the local they said, just don't go there. That is where all the drug dealers and everything.
Speaker 1: But that's also where the biggest need was.
Speaker 2: Probably it's where we will go every time. Give us. We want the worst of the worst situation because and you know what, they were the most appreciative people, kindest people, because we treated them reasonable and maybe in the first people they said, well, you know, nobody comes over here and brings up to everything. Everything goes to the north side of town. I said, so we're here, what do you want and we could use this and this and this. I'm like, we'll be right back. We go borrow some stuff and we come back borrow yes, sir, whether they returned it or not, I could care less. I borrowed it. I'm gone, Yeah, I got to move on to and you know, and we just we go find that stuff for them. And then you also get the whole, the whole other side. There was a gentleman from a home depot, was a general assistant general manager at a home depot down there. We go in and we we pick up I don't know we bought that nine thousand dollars worth of stuff. I don't know how many extension cords they had deals on some generators. They just had a truckload in and we just and we bought a bunch of and so we get up and we go through the line. I've done the math. It's nine grand. We've got about eighteen grand with us, so we're we're in a great position still. I've only got a few days left and we've already bought I don't know how much meat and and got and so we had we had a lot of money really left with us. And you know, you just never know where generosity is going to come out. And he came up in the general major. He came up and said, I was talking to one of the guys and said, what are you guys doing with all this? He reselling them because there's a hell, it's a black market down there. You get generator, your gold, you can double the money on it and quick views.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 2: We came out from Muncie and he saw herre the you know, a couple that some of the checks and all that and on the side of the truck and he's like yeah, and all of a sudden, we get up in our bills four thousand dollars. Wow, Well the guy that paid it wasn't the guy that he was talking to. See, we didn't he did, sew him to four thousand dollars, paid him four thousand dollars, paid the cash or four thousnd dollar. We got in the truck, got out and said, I said how much how mu should you give him? He said, oh, forty two hundred dollars. I said, dude, you go back. I said that was like nine grand I did the math. I did quick hillbilly math on a piece of paper and Brian and Bryan said, and the guy's out there and he's waving Asisdon just had this whole crew out outside, you know, and was waving at me and those guys off my trunds and all my guys.
Speaker 1: But that's part of the thing is action effort and generosity beget action effort and generosity all day long when you start, it's amazing how many people will follow. But you've got to start.
Speaker 2: You gotta start a fight. There's no fight. I mean once in a while, you just got to call it out and just go do it. And I will tell everybody I don't care what is, it doesn't matter how small. But and I do what I do, and I don't apologize ever for that. What fits me doesn't fit you, doesn't fit somebody else. But every little thing, every little idea, or every little offer of kindness and or generosity, I think there'll be somebody appreciate it and the world will move you to you just can't be scared. But also don't let don't let the governing factors at these things dictate what you do, because what they do is they gather assets, take credit for it, and pass them out. You go do it, just win and doubt. Door to door is an interesting.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been asked, well, what part of organization you with.
Speaker 2: Every time we go?
Speaker 1: And what do you say?
Speaker 2: We just say, we're just a bunch of dudes from months seeing you want to beer and it's a barbecue, and it's a barbecue and it's and it's when you you lead with food and a cold drink on a hot day. You can make all the friends in the world and that and it's such a great thing. And Bob and Rocky and those guys been so generous of just letting us kind of horn in on it. But then we go do a you do because I don't like to cook. I don't like to be pigeonl because I want to be toe to toe. I want to go talk to the guy who's got problem if I can fix that problem. If you want to know, what makes me happy is when you have a problem and I fix it. That's what makes out hold and happy. That's why I get up in the morning and just it's just fun to go do that. Because when they when they when you're pulling away and they're standing at the driveway waving and he's got electricity. Now he's got a generator, maybe a coat because we didn't need a coat or need a pair of boots or gloves, and a cookie and he's hold one of your cokes in his hand, and it's just kind of like, well, his day wasn't worse, his day got better because you showed up on his doorstep. What happens is this stuff gets. I saw at Joplin a a a loader, a payload, what I call a payloader at a stone quarry, a big one. There was a front endloader, thank you, yeah, bucketer.
Speaker 1: You got like the front end of a bacco or even bigger. Yes, And this was huge, huge, big, articulating in the middle, big front end loader exactly.
Speaker 2: And that thing. There was a mountain by side the church, and I mean a mountain. It was probably fifteen twenty feet tall, spread down. And that was the little packets that churches put together in a ziplock bag that has a toothbrush, toothpaste, maybe a little deodorant that everybody builds, all these churches built. I bet you there was fifty thousand packages, and there was a front loader scooping them and putting them into a depression and covering them with dirt, just waste. And so do the math. It probably was about four dollars, okay, even travel size at a buck apiece. Four bucks times fifty thousand, two hundred thousand dollars. I could have fed all of Joplin with really good rocky barbecue the whole They could have stayed for weeks. We could have take can care of all of that. It would have bought one hundred generators, could have given aybody a brand new generator with extension cord. They would have been fine and all that because they don't know what to go do. The worst thing is doing something and doing what everybody else has done. Sometimes you just need to go to the fight and figure out what the fight is. Then go back, go volunteer at one, figure out going. They don't need that.
Speaker 1: And what we we figured out, you know what's a good way to find out what somebody needs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ask them, ask them, just to ask them, you need some.
Speaker 1: Toothpaste or some leather gloves.
Speaker 2: And you looked at and here's the thing. The guys were giving the gloves to the women and the men's hands were bloody. Craziest thing I saw, and I've got to tell you because you love this story, the funniest thing we saw and it was only in a photograph and then we heard the story told to us. It was the first day we showed up Joplin. There's a picture of a couple officers and there's a guy he was not in good shape in one of the chairs, like we're sitting in a just a an office chair, and he's got his hands on his knees and he's duct taped to the chair. He looks like life is not going well for him in the last three days. The story goes that he was a looter stealing copper and the three brothers whose mom I believe had perished at the Joplin at their homestead. He was out one of those nights looting the copper from their property and these boys came up and they were going through That's what we did a lot of They're just looking. We'd find joy bullets and ammunition everywhere you had a metal detectory, it would just it would have just screamed all the time. They were just ammunition. Is amazing. We never found any guns, though. We did see about a sixteen foot snake dead as we picked up a wall trying to find it, and we found it. We found a lady's photograph album, probably the greatest thing I ever found. She took it, left everything else on the property, clutched it, got in her van, Melissa kiss and left and Tony Riley opened the thing up and I grabbed it and was like, she goes, that's all I came for. I wanted all my family pictures the rest of it. I'm not looking through it. Well, these boys were just down the street, and we left there and pulled up and where they and these guys were telling us the story that lived across the street from said, so you hear about the guy in the chairs, and they said, well, made front page of the paper. So these three boys caught him and he said, well, hey, I'm just to my house here, trying to get some copper and get some money out of it. And they go, oh, really, we live here. So they played with him like a cat does with a mouse before they kill it. So they they beat him up. They found a desk chair across the street, put him in the chair, duct taped him to it, tied a rope onto the chair, and drug him up and down the road free times. They then taped a sign that was on his chest on this newspaper it may still be up him, I may have a staple in my shop, and it said I am a looter. Please shoot me in the face. They taped it on his They taped it on his chest, and they took him and just threw him in the back of the pickup truck, drove him to the police. Station. Now the police are not at the station. They're all out. You know. At that night they left door front door and they found it and then reporter got took a picture of him and there was like three officers. You know. It's kind of like the old Wildlist, you know, if they killed the guy with a bounty, they all got there a little face with you, I like and it was an I frigan and he you get drugg in a chair down a road. That's not that's that's not a happy day bill. Yeah. Interesting.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back when you guys get back from any of these and you decompress from it and you think about all of it, what is the greatest lesson you get from it?
Speaker 2: Now? God bless me with some great friends, some great contributors to any of these things that we do, because you don't do it without can't. They don't take air at you know, home depot. They still like cash. And that he just has provided me with the opportunity with a family that's understanding that lets me go run away, you know, and go do that. And that he and he just that that he'll love on he'll love on me and my guys. He's always protected us. We've never really had any any problems, and we have a ball and that he that it's something that I enjoy. And it's terrible to say, but I never can't. I can't wait to go to the next one because it's a hoot all the way down there. We just get to make those boy trips. We just laugh and raise hell all the way down there and all the way back and we get we just go do wherever. They're like, well we're gonna do today. I'm going we're going to go to the left and we're going to work to the right, and when we get halfway done, we're gonna And there's always this little pop up taco stands, you know. It's literally like Bubba with a grill and mom and they're trying to make some money because their place of employment got smoked, and they're doing some of the best food. We just we work four hours, we eat, and we work four hours more. We just always go left to right and then at the end we go Rocky's got something ribs or something waiting for us, and it's rent and repeat, three or four days in a row. I don't get to do that all the time, and it's just God has blessed me with the ability to actually logistics. Most people don't like the logistics. It's with your company. If people had to do all the things you had to do, they like, oh, it's great, he's got this great big wood come in whatever. And they do not see what I saw in one hour today, okay, And if they saw that and had to go do that, they don't want to do that. Bill, And I've been blessed enough that that doesn't bother me. And I like I like having stuff that I can share, and it just makes me happy when people will vow you what I'm doing and take it.
Speaker 1: Have you stayed in touch with any of the people we've met on these trips.
Speaker 2: No, we intentionally don't.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were there to do what we did and leave and leave and go out. I was there and then, and God has not told me to go do that. Even with the secret families. Families we intentionally.
Speaker 1: Write secret families.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to be I don't I don't know that I have the capacity to be responsible for that many families, because there may be some that call me every week, and we have a lot. It's we're kind of a we're kind of commandos. We we kind of come in raid do what we do make that situation better. But that's the key, that's the key, getting in, do make it better. Let's make it better and then move on because somebody else will be skilled and doing that. Our pastor that at our church that just retired here last year, great guy, Mark Dill is a wonderful pastor. Great guy. He always laughed. He always because I always have an analogy in a story for everything. And I always told him, I said, you know, I'm not the guy that's going to be day to day counseling and dealing with somebody's problem because somebody's son has an addiction problem or that. I'm not that guy. I'm not that counselor I'm not that data. I'm not the fifth grade teacher, my lovely life, fifth grade teacher. She she buys in those thirty kids. I mean it's like she's like cooland she may be their teacher, but she's dealing with their families and dealing with that. I'm not built that way. And I always told them, Mark, I'll catch them, you claim them, and I'll get them. I'll get them here and we'll tell them about that I'll sell it and that, but keeping them here someone else needs to do that.
Speaker 1: But that's the beauty of it. And it speaks exactly to what we always talk about. That's your discipline and your passion seeing an opportunity in a place of need where your discipline your passion meet opportunity someone else's discipline and passion is and that's okay. And if you have an army of normal folks with varied sundry disciplines and passions meeting opportunities, areas of needs get filled as they need it by different people, different disciplines, and yours happens to be commando, which I just had a mental picture of what commando means.
Speaker 2: And I'm a little yeahsle disturbed should be disturbed And that's a well and I guess even and going to going to your analogy and I we we got to watch Undefeated the other night. Wow, pretty cool. It's a team. You didn't need money to carry the ball. You don't need to knock someone's head off, right, and that he had his job to do and his job to do. Those the lignement are not the same as the running back. That running back bear be quick and bear getting the end zone. But somebody's got a clear hole. My job is a clear hole. I'm not a running back. I'm more alignment and I like that and I you're right, and I think everybody stay in your lane, do what you do really well.
Speaker 1: And do what you're passionate about, and burn out on anything you're passionate about.
Speaker 2: Amen. Amen. And that's and that's the key to it, because you want to go back, you want to go do other things, you want to go do it again. I can't wait. We haven't been on one for I mean the Solvent one. There wasn't a lot there. I'm ready for another three or four day or you know, here and there, and the guys are all they're not chomping at the bit, but they if I'd say go there, I mean it's they're they're lock and load. They're ready to rock and roll with it.
Speaker 1: Have to be confused with you're ready for somebody to get hit by.
Speaker 2: Not at all. But it's when it happens. We want to be we want ready to go. And we've been very blessed that we've been able to buy. There was these guys, the guys we had initially joined up with there were three smokers, and if I get this right, there was one in Oklahoma, Bob had one in Muncie, and then there was one out of Minneapolis. So these guys all met up because they all bought smokers from the same guy who's some truck driver in Texas that builds these on the size welder and so he built and so they need they want more. So part of the sometimes when we have money left over, we'll leave it with one of them. And we gave him enough money they built two more. So months he has two. There's two down in Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: So you literally have smokers on step by waiting to go to the next disaster grad rock and roll. That's hilious. If anybody here's us and wants to support this, I guess they just reach out.
Speaker 2: To you absolutely and it's you know again, it's ahldron h O L d r E and at aalyscollections dot net. And if you'll love it and want to go do that send me a check. You ask me how much five hundred dollars?
Speaker 1: What if they want to meet you somewhere, Oh.
Speaker 2: My god, next time, you let me know and tell me where you're at. And if we go someplace in that area, or give me your email address. I'll tell you, and you can raise money in your town. Throw some guys in a truck. You go meet us and we'll teach you and you'll just take you with us. I'll have three trucks out of four, and uh, we'll we'll show them the ropes. Wait some good barbecue and do that. And if they contact you, guys, you'll you'll get me. You'll get them to me. And uh, you know it's people always say, and here's the thing, folks, I'll tell you, here's the key to to raising money. Ask for what you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't say hey I need some money, say hey I need five hundred.
Speaker 2: Be specific, and you have to make up a number. Anyway. If you just say, it's easy to ask and they'll give you five bucks, fifties a little harder, five hundreds a little bit harder. Tell them go raise the five hundred. You don't have to be all yours. Go get for your friends to give you a hundred, and throw a hundred and send me a check. We will put it. Here's the thing. I have seen so much money wasted at these events by groups. And then I will well intentioned. They just but there's a lot of pump and circumstances and salaries. We don't have salaries. We take days off work and probably lose money and go and go do that. If you find a local group that's doing something that you can put money in mouth, that's what you want to support. You want to and you should always ask, and you should know where your money is going. I will tell you specifically where it's going. I'm going to buy I'm gonna buy one brand new generator with your check. I'm going to buy one hundred pounds of pork with it. But if you want to come and join us, we would love it, and we'll have a ball.
Speaker 1: And we'll teach you and you can go do it yourself the next time.
Speaker 2: In your area. It might be someplace that we can't get to. I can't if something happens in California, it's hard, we can't get there, we can't drive there. It's not going to But if it's central United States, but we've been to. We were out at Sandy, my youngest daughter went to. When Sandy hit New Jersey, we took a crew, took two crews out to New Jersey. So that probably Mississippi. That's not true Texas East.
Speaker 1: You know, we were the eastern half of the United States.
Speaker 2: If you're in sure, reach out to let me know.
Speaker 1: It's awesome. Al you're the best. Uh. This concludes the second Alholdroom segment of an army of normal folks and brother. I can't tell you how much I appreciated the first story and the second story. And this time you're coming down and spending time. I hope you have a great time in our fair city. Enjoy some real barbecue.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do it. Absolutely. Yeah, it's some real good but we're going to Yeah, we're gonna we're gonna have some tomorrow lunch yet after it.
Speaker 1: And yes, sir and my friend, thank you so much for being a beautiful illustration of you don't have to be an a lister. You don't have to be part of an organization. All you have to have is a passion of discipline, sying area need, and even a six point five can get stuff done.
Speaker 2: Hold on, baby, thank you for your time. You guys are your courtesy and willingness to do this. I just think this thing is going to have legs forever. You I mean, what you guys, do is is just awesome and it's just neat. It's neat to see you guys care and you get to care enough to go do it. And I saw that walking around your company with your employees, I saw they all seem to like their jobs and there's a huge lover of respect. I appreciate it, and that's pretty cool. I appreciate that. Thanks for being here. You're awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and thank you for joining us this week. If Big Al or another guest has inspired you in general, or better yet, inspired you to take action by responding to a natural disaster, supporting on the ground groups like Big Owl's or something else entirely, please let me know. I'd love to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill at normalfolks dot us and you will hear back from me. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with friends and on social subscribe to the podcast, rate and review it, Become a premium member at normalfolks dot us. All these things that will help us grow an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Courtney. I'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: M