Speaker 1: A lot of the groups, and we are not going to get into specific sk You and I would talk about that off the record. They want to do what's fluffy and looks good and take a lot of pictures.
Speaker 2: I understand when you say a lot of the groups, you mean a lot of the quote AID people correct or AID really not people.
Speaker 1: Organization organizations, and they're on the edges. They don't roll into hell. We only roll into hell. If it's not crazy, we don't go. If it's just, if it's fluffy and all that, we don't want to go. It has to be something where I know that we're affecting some change, where they're hungry, where they don't have stuff. Our goal is to buy, borrow, or steal whatever supplies. Every guy on the street that just had his house washed away he needs, he may need a tarp to sleep under. I'll get it to him. I'll either bring it because I bought it. I know where the facilities are. You can get anywhere with good barbecue. I can buy and bribe my way into anywhere with good barbecue and a cold beer. Colder the beer the more you get in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Courtney. I'm a normal guy. I'm a husband, a father, an entrepreneur, and I've been a football coach an inner city Memphis And believe it or not, that last part it led to an oscar for the film about our team. That movie is called Undefeated. I believe our country's problems guys will never be solved by a bunch of fancy people in nice suits using big words that nobody ever uses on CNN and Fox, but rather an army of normal folks us you and me just deciding, Hey, maybe I can help.
Speaker 3: That's what big Al Holdron, the voice we just heard, has done. You may remember Big Al from our episode about.
Speaker 2: His extraordinary charity Secret Families, but today we're talking about his response effort when natural disaster strike. Can not wait for you to meet and know Big Al even more right after these brief messages from our general sponsors. So everybody, this is a first, And since we're not even yet a year old, there's a lot of firsts. I think first will be harder to come by three or four years down the road, but this is a first. Some of you will remember big Al Holdron from Indiana, who on one day assembles a whole bunch of volunteers, about twenty five hundred or so two thousand, and they go out into their community and give away christ trees and ten thousand gifts all in one day. A massive undertaking. And we told this story at Christmas. While talking to Big Al, found out he's involved in a lot of other stuff. And because we found out the story right at Christmas time, we did what we very rarely do, which was a remote interview. As you know, we like to do face to face interviews. In ninety nine percent of our interviews are always face to face. I think we'd lose some synergy when you're not face to face. But timing was we wanted to hit it for Christmas, didn't have time, so we did it. But when talking big Al said he'd love to come to Memphis one day, and he told me about other stuff. So here's a first. We are now interviewing the same guest for a second time on a different topic. For Big Al, you are now a first for an army of normal folks and two.
Speaker 1: Time guests, two time winner, two time winner.
Speaker 2: Good day Army and normal folks, winn and thank you, thank you and your wife absolutely for driving uh to Memphis.
Speaker 1: How was drift drive was interesting? We thought Indiana had a lot of construction, but man, Kentucky, Tennessee, they've bought every orange barrel that's left the United States. I think we passed them all. A lot of construction. It was a lot of rain on the way down you Nashville, right, we did. We did down through nic.
Speaker 2: I mean Nashville. The construction in the traffic in Nashville has just gotten unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And we happened hit we happen to hit Louisville also at rush hour. Oh yeah, so that was real special.
Speaker 3: But that was right.
Speaker 1: We had a we had some business down in southern Indiana, so it was a great drive. NICs just get away and we looked forth. Never had really spend any time in Memphis on some of these things we're going to talk about. I've blown through Memphis, sorry, police officers, at ninety miles an hour at one o'clock in the morning. But uh, we've gone, you know, going on the on the way to Dallas or down into the for one of the tornadoes, one of the hurricanes down in southern Texas. As we've been through a couple of times. So just have some time to really be here. And boy, I mean here's the reality Bill Well, guy, hey, guess that's right. Chicken for lunch.
Speaker 2: That ain't that bad, dude, Gus is fried chicken in Memphis for everybody? Is wow? Pretty freaking good. We're going for barbecue, but we've got some fried chicken around here too.
Speaker 1: We're going to Rendezvous tomorrow for barbecue. There's what I've been recommended. So they have it your way through? Did you stop in? The Basspro just came from there right before I saw you and the two of your place.
Speaker 2: So the bass Pro Memphis Memphis is the whole idea behind the name Memphis is after Memphis Egypt. Sure, because Memphis on the Nile on well So and somebody's infinite wisdom. At some point they built because we're Memphis. They built a big pyramid on the river in Memphis, and it was our basketball arena and it seated seventeen or eighteen thousand people and it was the state of the art thing. Forty years ago. Then when the FedEx Forum was built and the Grizzlies moved to the FedEx's form off Bill Street, here's this pyramid sitting empty and it sat empty for a few years. Everybody's like, what we're going to do, and then they go and put a bass pro in it. We're like, who puts a bass pro and a big silver pyramid? It's cool, but once you get inside cool. It is the largest freestanding singular elevator in the world that goes all the way up to the top. And while it is a store, it also looks like a natural Louisiana habitat.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable, is there. It's fantastic. Good. So you're gonna do that. You're gonna do Graceland.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do Graceland and Civil Rights Museum.
Speaker 2: The Rights Muzum, and hopefully you have time to stop over at slave Haven, which is an unbelievable stop and story of the underground railroad.
Speaker 1: And I love it because that's a I'm a I'm a Civil War guy a matter of fact. On the way, just on the way, just on the way up, I'm going to Shiloh. Good dude, I gotta see Shiloh. And I and I didn't even know of the other battlefield that's right there on the interstate. Yeah, I mean right, that stuff is not Peterson an hour and a half for here. Yeah, we passed on the way up. I'm like, we're we are pulling in.
Speaker 3: And sitting out there.
Speaker 1: On the right on the road. I'm like, I am in you. Yeah, it won't be hard to get me to see.
Speaker 3: You were in.
Speaker 2: You were in the middle of all of it. And you got to know that Vicksburg, Mississippi, which was the capital of the Confederacy for some time, is only two and a half hour south of here.
Speaker 1: Next trip will be making there'll be an extra day added for some Civil War battlefields. I'm an old Gettysburg guy.
Speaker 2: So before we get to it, one more thing, and this is I hope, I hope our listeners are interested in any of this. But there is a company, an old lumber company. It's been around for a century called Anderson Tully Lumber Company. And at one time, if you got on a helicopter in Vicksburg, Mississippi and follow the Misssippi River up to Saint Louis, eighty five percent of all the land you would see on that trip they owned. They owned all the islands and all the land on both sides. The largest lumber producer in the world for many, many years, for many years. It was the most single expensive stock that you could buy. Incredible old family. Long story anyway, one of the islands they owned is Davis Island, which was Jefferson Davis's home, and they built it on the island to be for as a safe haven. And they owned that island and they allowed one hunt on it a year and I got to hunt one time, deer hunt and Jameson Davis House was still there. It was in disrepair, but it was still there. And so the history of all through there is unbelievable. So enjoy Memphis. I'm glad you're here. Thanks, congratulations on being the first two time guests.
Speaker 1: I love and I'm honored. I am honored. So cool so.
Speaker 3: To recap.
Speaker 2: Al and his army of twenty two hundred volunteers provide ten thousand Christmas gifts to two thousand families can't afford them in their community of Muncie, Indiana, and they make it all happen on a single Saturday and only ten hours, which is a phenomenal deal. And y'all, Al is a small business owner. He wants a collection agency, and he's kind of like when Bush was talking about compassionate conservatism. Al is a compassionate collection agency guy. He does his job, but he's the kind of guy that's not going to try to make people feel awful. And it was always interesting to me that this guy that's donating all this time and doing all this for all these families that are need and his day job is a guy calling up people and saying, hey, you owe money, pay your bills. But like any industry, is a good way to do it a bad way to do it, and you told us all about that, so I'm interested. Let's follow up on the first time we met. Have you had any of the army of normal folks listeners reach out about Secret Families, which is what Secret Families everybody is. If you hadn't heard the episode, and I hope you go back and listen to it, Secret Families is what eventually became the nonprofit that does this amazing work.
Speaker 3: In Monthcie, I'm.
Speaker 2: Curious, have you had anybody reach out to you about what's been the We've never been able to ask this of a guest. Sure, what's been the follow up and feedback from your first appearance?
Speaker 1: And a guy called me about three days after you guys posted it, And I believe the first name is Joe.
Speaker 3: I'd sorry.
Speaker 1: Joe Pena, a gentleman out of Oklahoma called me in and said, hey, listen to build stuff all the time we're in. I've already started finding people in our community that have some interest. We're interested. Can we do a zoom call. We did an hour zoom call, talked about it. I told him, really, hey, here's what we need. Here's what you need to do, because this will show that there's some true interest in it for us to get involved. I said, we can teach you how to do it. It's no problem. It's a day or two. We can teach you to show you. You know, you can do ten or fifteen families at first year. You get your feet wet, and then we'll just raise you and it gets bigger and bigger. We can show you how to go do them. And I said, so, just go find some people I get about. I don't know. It's probably about a week later. I get a photograph texted to me of a list of it looked like some family members and fifteen other couples. He goes, we're getting ready to go. Gott to finalize that and make sure everybody else is still in give me some bullet points. I gave him some things to talk to him about. And so now we're going to get back with him and we're either going to go down and do a training with them, teach them, do a big zoom call with them. So if it wasn't for you guys, So that's number nine. So we had eight on the board, seven Indiana, one in Lexington that is doing it out and many of them are done out of car dealerships. And then which is which is.
Speaker 2: But you need a big open you need a big open space, and you need it's a perfect fit.
Speaker 1: It's it's a wonderful it's a wonderful situation. So I to him the same thing. Go look, go find a car dealership, Go talk to the school. He sends me back the list. I've already talked to three two or three school superintendents. Got a car dealership, I got twenty. Family is ready to go. So on we go, and uh, you know, yay on army and normal folk promote and which is exactly what you guys are. It's what you want to be. It's why you're doing this right.
Speaker 2: Trying to do is connect people, get it, going to use their passion and discipline and meet need of opportunity, opportunities of need and learn from one another and create a little army that talks to you. So Monsey is where it started. But you're saying there's now eight secret families.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every we do it by county, that's right. So that's all all the surrounding counties around months the Indiana and then also then down in Lexington, and that's it's not odd because he owns the dealership that you work with, Steve Gates owns and and I want to and I called him Bill Gates I think four times on the previous podcast. His name is Steve is Stephen and he is phenomenal to my apologies and thank you for all you do because without you and your dealership and that Mounsey toyto dealership, this and happened. And he's phenomenal to He carried it. That's his home dealership down there. He carried it back to He carried it back and just said we're going to do it, and got his whole dealership involved. All their families started there expanding it. And it's funny. We always uh Chris and we laugh and some of our some of my friends out of Indianapolis, laugh the world. The world eventually evolves and points to Muncie, Indiana, and then back out.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 1: And the gal that the gal that was uh that is his right hand gal who really took secret families for him and expanded it. Her dad I played basketball with in high school. She's from Muncie and she had worked with Chris and her team for years as a young girl. Did you have her? She was a student of my wife's here with me.
Speaker 3: She was a student of yours. Yes, what a small world.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 3: And so I guess the world does revolver.
Speaker 1: And she happens to be going and she was going into she was in college since she was a little with her mom and dad who had been shoppers for us. And she's going to college three miles from his car dealership in Lexington, and she all of a sudden finds out that he's going to go do that, and through conversation and so she goes down. She goes I know how to do it. You can call out if you want, But I've been involved since I'm a little kid. I know exactly what's going on. And so now she was down there being involved in the running party.
Speaker 2: And now a guy reaches out from an army and normal folks just listening says, I love it, and now you're going to be doing in Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 1: Now we're in Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: So anybody else listening, go back to the Big Alholdron episode from around Christmas time. Listen to it and maybe you can be Satellite number ten ten emails how many reindeer and Santa slay? Is it nine eight plus rudolphice time nine?
Speaker 3: Correct? So currently one slave's being fully pulled. That's correct. More sleigh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they're going to have babies eventually, right, Yeah, and yeah, come on a little Rudolph somewhere.
Speaker 3: Danser Team number two. Let's get going.
Speaker 2: Yes, if anybody wants to reach you, we're going to finish this up and go to the new stuff. Anybody wants to reach you about secret families.
Speaker 1: How do they reach you? You can reach me by email at AHLDRON h O, L D R E N at atlas at l A S Collections and that's ORLWI an S dot net. Or you can call me at seven sixty five seven four four O three six nine at seven sixty five seven four four O three six nine anytime, be happy to.
Speaker 2: Talk anybody that has been thinking about something to do that they can't commit to year end, I mean over the course of a whole year, but they want to do something. Al and his crew have figured out how in a short period of time, concentrated on one Saturday, to affect the very most neediest people among us who need the happy times at the most part of the year.
Speaker 3: Which is Christmas.
Speaker 2: And if you're like I just can't get involved in something that takes a day or two days every week or three days every month, but I would love to do something, I'll have something for you. And I hope you will listen to the episode if you hadn't heard it, remember it if you did hear it, and consider starting at secret families in your neighborhood.
Speaker 3: It literally puts a.
Speaker 2: Smile on the faces of children who otherwise will not have a spile on Christmas Day. And frankly, they're families Christmas trees. And once again you will get fifty times more out of it than you put into it. You can just ask Al amen, brother, and now a few messages from our general sponsors. But first I hope you'll consider becoming a Premium member of the Army at Normalfolks dot us. By becoming one for ten bucks a month or one thousand dollars a year, can get access to cool benefits like bonus episodes, a yearly group call, and even a one on one call with me. Frankly, guys, premium memberships also help us to grow this army that our country desperately needs right now.
Speaker 3: So I hope you'll think about it. We'll be right back, all right.
Speaker 2: So that's the follow up. Yeah, new stuff you started talking about. You know, well, we also whenever there's a natural disaster, we load up and run headlong into it. And I thought, what and you hear about these stories of these people, well, first the Red Cross and organizations. Sure, but and you hear about like if something happen and in and around Memphis, some folks from Memphis might go across the neighborhoods to help out with the chainsaw or something. Sure, but you and a group of guys, like a tornado, a hurricane or whatever, yep, y'all load up and.
Speaker 1: Roll pretty much a couple of trucks, a couple usually a couple of tundrd trucks from the Toyota dealership. Of course, we do secret families, right, we make phone call. He says, come on and pick up a couple of trucks, and yeah, and succinctly that's exactly what we do. Typically, it's either usually in groups of either four eight of us.
Speaker 3: Big not of your fireman or anything. Are you.
Speaker 1: Oh no, there's a couple. We have a couple officers that have gone on the last couple with us. But typically that's kind of a unique and actual.
Speaker 3: They're just normal guys.
Speaker 1: These just guys that I know you're on a collection agency. Yeah, pretty much when you're not thirty years old anymore. Oh god, no, just turn sixty two. I mean, I've got some it's a we have a I mean, the one crew's a individual guys, a small construction company guy.
Speaker 3: It works. It's probably handy for this work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We don't let him bring any tools whatever, because you know, you know about construction guys. You know I'll be there on Tuesday. They didn't tell you which tuesday, you know, so we can't he when you're on time. When you're with me, you're on your time, on task and we're rolling. I mean it's a I mean, it's a it's giddy up time. My poor wife has tolerated that for a long.
Speaker 2: She's in she's sitting five feet from al, laughing with the sweetest look on her face and her hands across her lap, bobbing her head up and down like.
Speaker 1: Yep, Bill, I'll kick. I'm just gonna say, I all kicked my coverage.
Speaker 3: I mean we established that in the first Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's and there's not one person the word we wouldn't tell you that.
Speaker 3: And you also told me that the holdings are six point.
Speaker 1: Fives, six point five all day long. We are every scale, every scale and on everything that we were six point five. That's who we are, and we're really not good at it. My god, that's a We're not talking six six or six four. We're talking six five.
Speaker 3: We're talking an army of normal folks six point five long.
Speaker 1: Anybody it's be on that needs to be just don't go with me. I'll drive you a not so we uh, we load up and so we got the carpenter, we got the printer, you know, we got the collection guy. We have the old retired guy who yells at me because we move too fast. We have a guy who works at Ball State, two cops andross section.
Speaker 3: Of It's just and it is these.
Speaker 2: People have had a disaster in their community. Surely to God, eight people with two trucks can get down there and figure out a white house.
Speaker 1: And we go without any plan, which is the we have a zero plan. But here we here we go, and the the deal is there's a gentleman, and please world pray for this man. His name is Bob Ball. He runs an inner city ministry called Blood and Fire Ministries in Months, Indiana, one of the great I went to the same high school as him. He was about four years older than me. Phenomenal human being is fighting a cancer battle. So the army and normal folks. You pray for Bob Ball when you hear this. Every time you listen to this podcast, you listen and you pray for him. He's the one that kind of started it. And these guys uh him and along with a guy named a Rocky Fuller. Rocky looks like you're and I his brother got it okay, same guy felt Oh and if and if and if the fight breaks out, they are the two guys you want standing there. Got it because we're not retreating. We're gonna, We're gonna solve it.
Speaker 3: It's too much effort to go back.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's just solve it right here, because you know, if I run, I'm just gonna get tired. They still gotta fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, well Rocky, and I'd rather I'd rather see him coming to be hit in the back of the head.
Speaker 3: And I'm too fat out run anybody.
Speaker 1: Oh day, Lord, Rocky is a chef and is just a great, great, great human being. Funniest heck, well, those two were down and this thing, the whole thing started. They were at Katrina. So they were down at Katrina and they were cooking.
Speaker 3: So they stop.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sorry, why did they go to Katrina? Because it hit?
Speaker 2: And so these two guys were the first of these guys from Monsie yep.
Speaker 1: And we weren't even attached. We weren't even doing our part.
Speaker 2: Then and Katrina happen. And they looked each other and said, surely, God, we can help. And Bob's is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bob's attached with a group and I believe Feeding America and which is a huge, large organization. Uh, they had a smoker and so they pulled the smoker down there and they were down two guys, these two guys in the stand health and kind of through that Bob had been connected. So they go down and then they spot them in a place where there's no food. Because when you get down to these places some of these times, and we'll talk about Joplin there I met the town is missing. I mean it's not like there's something still standing. Guses isn't standing. It's gone that.
Speaker 3: Which means no water, no sanitary and no.
Speaker 1: Food and no buildings. I mean, that's just they just washed away and crushed and you got cars in trees, and you got dead animals everywhere, and you got people that they haven't searched the buildings for and they're putting xes on them and there's so they're down there cooking and they get down there and they so they go on you know, we all go on volunteer donations. We're not, I mean it's our own nickel and whoever gives us money. So they get down there, they come back. The short stories, they come back from Katrina and Joplin hits at the end. After they've been at Katrina for weeks, they're out of food and they're out of money. What are they doing. First of all, yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: They take a they take a they take a.
Speaker 1: Cooker, smoker, big smoker, and then they.
Speaker 3: Go down and they go to Katrina in place you don't have food, and they just start cooking.
Speaker 1: Start cooking, and people are lined up as far as you can see to get a pulled pork in Typically, we have a our to our tornado meal is we cook it every time. Is it's a it's uh, it's a it's pulled porkpropriate.
Speaker 2: It is so inappropriate that I'm laughing. I wish you people could see Big Oul because he's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Our tornado meal is.
Speaker 1: Our tornado meal is, and it's pulled pork. It's as good as you ever had, so easy, just as easy. I'm as good as you ever had pulled pork in Memphis. Yeah, these guys have no clue. Rocket, these folks from Rocky would dominate. You're in rock SATs. Rocky would dominate. These guys would have no idea what we have the.
Speaker 2: World Championship Barbecue cook Off down here every spring. He had to pull his thing down here and get in the big leagues.
Speaker 1: Well, you know the reality is, you know we someone else. We're gonna let someone else win a trophy when someone wants, you know.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: So as peanut coleslaw, peanut cole slaw, homemade cookies, peanut coleslaw, and barbecue baked beans, and it's like five different beans and it's and the main thing is we can cook a lot of it because we're sometimes feeding one thousand to twenty five hundred people in a day.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in Katrina, I want to set this up, so we go into what you guys have actually morphed into. Sure, in Katrina, they show up with this cooker and they just start cooking because nobody has any food, nobody has any power. They're cooking and if you had a if you did have a grill, it was probably washed away in Katrina.
Speaker 1: It's out to sea now somewhere.
Speaker 2: So they're from Indiana. Where are they getting the meat to cook and the buns and all that stuff?
Speaker 1: They take a lot with them and then but they do with Feeding America, and there's some there'll be stations set up. So once they get to buildings out to the outskirts where there's places there's there's supplies coming in. Because I'd say there's.
Speaker 3: Supplies, and somebody's got to actually do something.
Speaker 1: They gotta go get them, and somebody's got to go get the supplies, get them back down into what a lot of what happens a lot, and I've seen it over and over and all this whole list of all these that will run through some stories with the problem is is getting a to B because the smokers out here are the people out here, but mainly a lot of the groups, and we are not going to get into specific sk You and I would talk about that off the record, and it would be a whole different conversation than what is appropriate for your podcast. They want to do what's fluffy and looks good and take a lot of pictures.
Speaker 2: I understand when you say a lot of the groups, you mean a lot of the quote AID people correct or AID really not people.
Speaker 1: Organization organizations, and they're on the edges and we're not where the people. They're not where they're not they're not into They don't roll into hell. We only roll into hell. If it's not crazy, we don't go. If it's just if it's fluffy and all that, we don't want to go. It has to be something where I know that we're affecting some change where they're hungry, where they don't have stuff. Our goal is to buy, borrow, or steal whatever supplies every That guy on the street that just had his house washed away, he needs, he may need a tarp to sleep under, I'll get it to him. I'll either bring it because I bought it. I know where the facilities are. You can get anywhere with good barbecue. I can buy and bribe my way into anywhere with good barbecue and a cold beer. Colder the beer the more you get in, and that means National Guard guys, that means state police officers could care less. My goal is I've got to get there. Well, a lot of times that they get blocked off. They don't let those groups in. They'll let me in because so that's what we that's what we're moving who on several weeks, several weeks just.
Speaker 3: Cooking, they were just cooking out, sleeping in the truck, or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wherever you can. Sometimes if you can find a church building YMCA. Sometimes we have to drive some of the places where we may have to drive an hour.
Speaker 3: To get a shelter to then go back, so we can go.
Speaker 1: Back and we go back in the morning and they'll go back and roll back in at four o'clock. Get that smoker started because they got have food ready for eleven. Start serving. Then we usually serve. We don't do eat breakfast. They only will serve lunch and dinner. And well they'll cook whatever they can get their hands on, so they'll go out come back. We've slept under trucks, in trucks we were in. When we were down in Texas, I forget the that was Harvey. Down at the color of the tip of Texas. We slept in a jail. The jail had not been effected so that we had one cell, so we had four sets of stainless steel bunks and we had eight guys there, so we had Yeah, we were in the jail, so we.
Speaker 2: Going to get to that. My question is these guys spent three week down there. Yeah, were you aware they were down there?
Speaker 1: Yes, I knew they were there, but I really wasn't affiliated.
Speaker 3: With Bob and you did just nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were just doing they were doing that night they roll Joplin happens with Joplin is a twister seventh like one of the seventh. Worst death fatalities are they in Jopling. So they're in they're down in Katrina and they're they're eventually they're just going to come home because they're out of money and they're out of food, so they're coming back to Munsie to really just take a nap, reload a little bit. They get a call and say, Joplin just got eliminated from the map. Half of the whole city is gone. I mean when I mean gone, I mean you can look out and there's no trees, there's no buildings, and it just looks like a desert barrel landscape just with stuff chewed up. So they said, we need you in Joplin. We don't have any cooking stations. Off they go. They go to Joplin.
Speaker 3: They didn't even get back to No.
Speaker 1: They would straight to Joplin. Met up with another crew of guys and we'll talk about some of those other guys. They met that other crew there. So when they got there, they have no food, no money, so they're.
Speaker 3: Just they had the cooker, that's it.
Speaker 1: And then there was a Tyson semi pulled up, reefer truck pulled up, and so they had Tyson chicken frozen chicken. So they're just gonna fix chicken. This is where I come in. This is when I get the So I get a text message and it was kind of a massive text to a bunch of people, said we need money, we need food. God speaks to me on Wednesdays. Okay, Wednesdays, Wednesday. I have no idea when I when I when I when I when I get when I get out.
Speaker 3: Of the average day in the middle of the week, I get it Wednesday is.
Speaker 1: It's kind of hum day. And so God talks to me on Wednesday's when he tells me to go to these I mean that more sincerely than you. And all of a sudden, so I get this text from Bob, and I'm like, going.
Speaker 3: What does Bob say?
Speaker 1: But Bob, Bob just get I get this text. I said, Okay, I said, I just text him back and it was quick.
Speaker 3: What did he say to you on the text?
Speaker 1: Just the text? He said, where we need money, we need money donated.
Speaker 3: And we need food and probably stuff.
Speaker 1: And just anything because they gotta have pans and gloves and everything and just everything. And we're out and we've just we're kind of rolling in here and we're trying to make it up as we go along, and so I text him back, and this was on Wednesday, and so I'm like, so I pray about it, you know, kind of quick hat my desk forgot to ask permission for my wife. Probably would have been a good phone call to make. And just I texted him back and said, I'm coming with all kinds of stuff, gonna fill a van, gonna grab somebody and go. He's like, all right. So he called me and said what are you going to do? And I said, I'm gonna make it up as I go along, which is usually what I do. And so' and.
Speaker 2: So once again it's Chris right, yes, all right again Chris is in the corner giggling and shaking her head up.
Speaker 3: Does he make everything up as he goes?
Speaker 4: It's just kind of been your life. Just just go go, go go go. Oh that sounds good, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But he's effective.
Speaker 2: So you get a text and you say, I'm on the I'm gonna grab somebody.
Speaker 1: And one on the way we're gonna who are you gonna grab? A Guy's name's Tony Rawley. Uh, Tony is no longer with us. Tony was killed in a car accident several years after we had we had gone was a dear friend just to Ben there. But he all looks like the fourth brother, uh, the fourth fourth Courtney Brother, big old dude. And so it was just the two, just him and I I said. I told him. I said, hey, Bob Balls and Struggle Bush, we're gonna raise some money. And I said, you just start texting everybody you know and put the word out and uh, let's raise all Uh Choplin.
Speaker 3: Was it was.
Speaker 2: It was hot, okay, So I was, it's it's on the other side of secret families.
Speaker 1: Where it's it's summer, I want to say. And so I said, you in. I said, here's the thing. I don't want to go and stay forever. So let's go. And I told Bob because when the kind of the order of events bill with any of these going on, when it hits, they quarantine the whole area because you can't travel. There's live power lines down, there's trees in the road.
Speaker 3: There's cars and truth with all the laughter and all, you've.
Speaker 1: Got it there, and they will not let you in an area until they put They usually put and I think this is true, they put a they'll put a red X on the property or on the ground that there's a body under there. Well they mark the bodies with certain they put an X because they've checked it and there is none. If there's a body, they're bringing cadaver dogs in and they bring all those dogs everywhere, and they don't want you there because the dogs are picking up your sent also, so they have can't get in for a while. So they're on the edge of it with it. And this big church they're in this this big church parking lot they're set up. They're just feeding people because you know, everybody that was where their house got squished, they've all moved to the outskirts or into other towns and they're coming back to get go through their stuff, running through and when they go to responders, everybody's got to eat. You got you got police to feed, you, got everybody else to go do it. So they're just working that with what they've got right now. And so you've got to give it a few days, usually about four days. So this is on a Wednesday. God's told me to go. Tony Rowley said, we can.
Speaker 3: Go getness setting call you on Thursday that I had a whole week for you to say.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's been awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wait till next Wednesday.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you gotta call me on Wednesday. I mean, I'm a m I'm a busy guy. They'll let me just kid. They so give us some time. So they got kind of all clear that they had really opened it up on a Monday, and I told Bob just keep in touch with us, let us know because it took us a few days. So we just sent out text, called everybody. We had some other lists of people and said, hey, I'm gonna go. You guys know Bob ball give me five hundred bucks. And people did, and we had I think between Tony and I, he had to be I made him. Somebody always gets made treasure, which means we have a money bag with hundreds wrapped as thousands in that bag, and I think Tony and I had somewhere between twelve and fourteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: So in three or four days, Yeah, people, he's fourteen grand in cash. Yep, you load up a bunch of crap in a van that's probably also donated.
Speaker 3: Nope, that was our van, God lover, No, not the van, but stuff in the van.
Speaker 1: Oh, stuff in the van.
Speaker 3: Meet And so if you don't.
Speaker 2: Have any empt you don't. You're a you run a collection agency, yep, and your Santa.
Speaker 1: Claus one day at one day a year, at one.
Speaker 3: Day a year, and.
Speaker 2: Nobody you're not part of an India. Nobody tabs you. It's there's need, go do it. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's go do it, and so and let's have fun. We we gotta make it fun. No game won't go back with you if you don't have fun the first And.
Speaker 2: Everybody, please remember the thousands of times I get the emails and the questions, is I really want to be effective in help?
Speaker 3: I'm motivated. I'm inspired by hearing all these stories, but I just don't know how. Here's how. You just do it, Just do it. You got to show up. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: So you raised fourteen grand from everybody, from everybody, we say we're going to jop them.
Speaker 1: We get we big bar and steal four big coolers, I mean big big coolers. Throw them in the back of a van of what meat and meat, pork pork butts. Yeah, because they're cooking chicken. They're cooking chicken. They're looking. They want right, I want We're gonna do some. We're gonna do some tornado meal and Rocky's chomping at the bit because that's what he's he wants.
Speaker 3: So we guess you get plates and seasoning and napkins, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we and so and we had well. And we also stopped all the way across Indiana, down round through Saint Louis, all the way across Uri. We stopped because we only had some meat donated. We really didn't have all the connections because we had never done this. We had some money. We stopped at every Walmart then they were they were opened twenty four hours and we were in Wheeland and dealing because you can get deals done with a night manager at a Walmart.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you what you're negotia, what are you saying? We're going to drop it?
Speaker 1: It going to jop on elp with people out how much you're gonna give me and how much do I have to buy? And he would go back and say, well, we've got some stuff that's really got been pulled off. It's got to be used in the next three days. I said it's going to be used in the morning, and be like, That'll sell it to you for ten cents a pound, but you got to buy it all said, I've already backed the van. I'm a loader up baby. So we were buying everything that was as close and then if we needed more that at the end we bought enough just to fill. But once we get the cool.
Speaker 3: So from Indiana to Joplin, you're pillaging walmarts yep.
Speaker 1: And the opening we needed restrooms too, because we drove all night. We drove that whole night because we didn't waste another so we had all night. It was a long drive. I don't know how many hours. There was a lot, so we drive all night. We get there and pull in and they throw it, take it immediately out of the coolers because I need the coolers because then we go back to the local walmart at Joplin that had not been hit and we fill one of them completely full an ice cold beer. And remember it's real hot, and so dude, if you want to get things done, we talked to a National Guard guy and you give him a plate of barbecue and two cold michelobs. I swear to God, I think he would have driven our van wherever we wanted, and they let us go into all the areas that had not had anything. And I'm carrying when the van with me sixty meals already, clamshelled up, cold beer, cold coke, and diet coke, pepsi, diet pepsi in a case, and a whole thing of water. And the people are on homemade cookies. One of the gals, oh, how many dozen? It was like forty dozen homemade cookies. Because here's the thing. When you're working and you're out and it's hot like that, you need sugar, you need energy. So these cookies have now become a thing. So now when we go the things that people don't have. You just remember your house got blown away and you're sorting through all your stuff. You don't even got any gloves because your gloves are in your truck that's in the tree, So you don't have gloves. So we take leather gloves men and women's gloves, cookies, and we will have cold drinks, and we call as much pork as we can, and then we will buy when we go out there. Now we try to call head. Now we do it a little a little more strategic. We try to find meat markets or meat suppliers that are close that we can get out to and we'll cut a deal with them, and then we will buy with it, buy from them. So that's what we that's what we go out and do. So we just show up. They take all of our pork, empty our coolers, We fill them full of drinks, and then ware we go.
Speaker 2: So you got to Joplin and in two days you fed four or five thousand people.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. Yeah, yeah, that's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: They were lined up and they had As we got there, it was so here's the thing. We've got enough meat, but this meat goes quick. I mean, you're feeding that many people. What we had was just I mean it was just a little not enough. And so the first best one of the first best stories. So those guys they empty the coolers, they're going, Okay, you're in charge of procurement. I said, what does exactly does that mean? He goes, we don't have any idea, but here's the things we need and you need to go find them. So we did. And there's and just remember there's churches, and there's places that have pepsi trucks pulling up and unloading pepsis and gatorades and that kind of stuff, and people bringing van fulls of tarps and just I mean, it's just crazy, they're just warehouses. So we go find out. I said, if you guys eat, and may we have anything to eat for a day? I go, wow, I'll be right back. So we go get some meals from the ikaid. We have the cookers, so I bring them back. I feed all their people and they go, bam. Anything you need, I said, well, while you're talking. While we're talking, I need access, but I don't want to sign out because you have to. You have to come and they give you one rake and one shovel. I need forty. I need a box of tarps to throw in the van. I need whatever else I can get my hands on.
Speaker 3: So we just go through.
Speaker 1: I said, I don't want to sign in out, and if this gold vam pulls in, nobody stops me. And I'll feed you all the PEPSI coke and all the barbecue that you can eat in the next four days. Handshake deal. So you always find the director, bribe your way in and away you go. And that's and that's what we do. And so now we just have access to that stuff all night long. And he goes, I said, you guys open twenty four to seven. He goes, yeah. I said, we'll be back around too, and we got to load up for the morning to go do that. So we as we're out and about running around Tony's like we got to find more meat. Bob said, we forgot about. We got busy because what we do Villa is that we will go out and we cordon off and we work the streets whatever area we grab us find us to city map somewhere. So we're working street by street by street north and south the first two days and then east and west the next two days, and we go literally up to every house if there's somebody there, and say what do you need? That's what I think your comment was very sage to people. Just do something if you don't know what to do. When in doubt, run people will either run two problems or away from problems. I like to run two problems, but takes somebody with you that really doesn't care. If they don't care, they're not afraid, We don't scare. We're just going to go talk to them and just say.
Speaker 3: What do you need?
Speaker 1: He goes, I could use a couple of tarps, you know, I need a shovel as he gang gloves nine gang gloves. We got gloves. How about cold beer? Oh my god, you kidding me. I haven't seen a beer in a week. We got one for you have thrown a couple. You're making friends just by being just by being a friend. And you know what, sometimes they want to sit there and cry because their son was killed in the tornado and all they need is set They just want to set in your van and just talk to you because there's nobody else. So we've set on tree stumps, We've set on trees, we've set on whatever lawnchair. We found that the launchair belonged to the guy who lived a mile away, just have to fly in his yard. And we're sitting there just having conversation with me. Once to tell me about his son that was killed, that was pulled out of his car out through the side window and thrown into a retention pond and then their house fell on top of it. Anyone to tell me about that? That And so there's there's some crazy. Now if you can't mentally do that, we're okay with that. And I cook, we just couldn't. You got to do something. You just gotta but here just sometimes just that conversation. So there's some there's some sad stories with it, and we'll talk about some of them. So we're out and about the first best story. We're out about running aund Tony's and you got to know the big glute and he's like, dude, you gotta find some brick and meat. We gotta we bob and then we're gonna kill us if we don't show up. We came out here. You're supposed to be in procurement. We're out serving everybody. I'm going we got to do both. So he pulled over and all of a sudden, he goes used, I'm like, what the hell wheel that van in? Pull in? It's a building. It's not a big it's maybe two thousand, like a home outside, but it's a block building and it's whatever somebody's meat market. No lights on because there's no electricity. I mean, you just remember we're still in the we're on the edge of the zone, no electricity. I walk in and the husband and wife, the older gentleman and his wife are letting their staff go. They have a meeting. They're standing up in the front of the meat coolers and you nothing running and said, we apologize. They've told us it could be a month before we get power back. When our coolers timp down, all this meat has to be thrown away. But we've got about two and a half days. If we don't open the cooler before they start temping down, we can put some out in our refer a little They have a small reefer truck that they they were the ones that sold tenderloins and whatever meet to all the little local people. But I have to let you go. I only have enough money to give you half a paycheck, and I don't know if we're going to be able to reopen or not because I can't meet payroll. If I could meet payroll, I think, you know, if I could get some money, I could get a generator in here, and I think I could do it, and I think we'll make a fortune because we're going to be some of the only meat and the whole part of this county. Now worst, we've kicked the door open because it was stuck, and Tony kicked it open, and we're standing in the back and they're still having the conversation, and I just said, excuse me, customer, and they're like, yeah, do you what do you want? I said, I heard your conversation. I said what if you sold every piece of meat, no matter what it is in here right now? How much would all of that be? What kind of deal can I make on everything? You got all the He goes, you want lamb and you want all that? I said, I didn't ask what it was. I just asked how much. I said, how many pounds of meat do you have? He said, well, Mom, she can tell you exactly. And she goes back to her a little she's working a little manual calculator over there, and said, there's I don't know how much. I mean, thousand pounds of meat in the cooler, some of us frozen, others fresh in the cooler. He said, but that cooler stuff's gotta be done round west. We understand, He said, you mean the sausage and ground everything. I said, just quit asking me questions, Just tell me how much there is. And then he said, well, there's I don't know, forty six hundred pounds of meat. I said, okay, I'll just buy it all. What's the price on it? He goes, you're going to buy it all at any price? I said, no, no, we're going to have a conversation. Well, we'll come to Jesus meeting here, and he said, well, I'll do I can do half of it for fifty cents a pound, just to get my cost back out of it, and the other half I'll do it a dollar a pound. I said, seventy five cents a pound, cross the board cash. I thought he was going to take my arm off, and so we hand him whatever it was five thousand, and I think we made it fifty five hundred just because of the Bobby Felt priest, and.
Speaker 3: So he paid.
Speaker 1: He made all his payroll, rented a generator, and we cut the deal that every morning he had to fill the he had to fill, put meat in in the reefer truck and drive it over to the church. So I didn't have to forget about it anymore. So he's hauling all that meat over there, cleaned it all out, said it would be great, no problem. They got it back. Business is still there and great. We never saw him again. We never went back. I just wrote him a check and he just took all the meat over to Bob and those guys over the next couple of days, I believe, because we didn't see them a whole lot. We're just out doing our thing, and it was perfect.
Speaker 2: So literally by showing up. By showing up, you probably saved the business.
Speaker 3: I hope so.
Speaker 1: And he was. They were wonderful and they were very kind. They kept talking. They kept telling those guys the story of this two idiots that showed up and didn't know where the hell they came from and show I mean, if we'd been five minutes later, he's out, he's gone.
Speaker 2: And that concludes Part one of my conversation with Big al Holdron, and you do not want to miss Part two that's now available to listen to as it just keeps getting better, which isn't bad for six point five guys. Together, guys, we can change this country. But it's gonna start with you. I'll see in part two. Mm hmm