Speaker 1: Gang. Forgive me for the way I'm dressed. I know we're recording to Zach. You look spiffy, Joel. You look wonderful. Daniel, you are a lifesaver and you look great. You look healthy. You look like you're having a lot of fun in New York. With your blurred background.
Speaker 2: We're doing okay.
Speaker 1: I have been in my animation studio for three days. The wife has not seen me. I've been I haven't showered. Really. I had my buddy elder Son come from He's worked in many studios before, and he's come to the crib and he's officially hung lights for me. My animation. We finished at We were supposed to record it one point thirty. We finished at one twenty nine, and I gathered everything and ran up at been this motherfucker and I I was late. But hey, I'm gonna tell you something right now. You ain't never gonna see like. Look, I've learned so much in the past three days about lighting, which is something Zach, I know you know a little bit about I don't know if you know anything about it, Dan l I don't know if you know anything about it, Joelle, but it means so much to.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: Know, creating something and or it just looks flat and depth of field and all of that stuff. All of these things fall into play, and it's been an awesome experience. And thank you for letting me share that. I can see how excited you. We're glad that my wife said that shit too. She was like, I can see how excited you are. I walked by and you sounded like a little fucking geek.
Speaker 2: Well, not everyone has a passion that they love as much as you love stop motion animation. So I think we're all very happy for you. Thank you very much, even if it makes you fifteen minutes late with no idea.
Speaker 1: I deserve it. I deserve it.
Speaker 2: The audience is lucky that we're not going to give them the full Sarah Chalk experience. We're going to cut out the fifteen minutes you just needed to help set stop recording.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Tell me about it. What have you been doing.
Speaker 2: I've been directing the TV show Shrinking, and it's really fun and great. I really loved it. The episodes are so I directed episodes three and four this year and I'm done. I'm gonna start editing next week. And I had so much fun.
Speaker 1: Tony Harrison's board anecdotes or anything.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you his story. You'll laugh at that. I he's he really likes me, and he's very nice to me, and we get along. This time, I bonded with him more and he it's I still get giddy when he says my name, which is just funny because just Zach went. But when he calls across the set and he has a question.
Speaker 1: He's like Zach.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh my god, he says my name. But I'll tell you a funny story. I was wearing these really loud Gucci shoes sneakers that I had bought in Vegas after I lost in Blackjack. I was with Bill and I got crushed in Blackjack, and I was like, feeling like such a loser. I was like, I'm gonna go buy stupid expensive sneakers. And I went and bought these very loud Gucci sneakers because I do I don't really dress I don't dress flashy at all. I wear just pretty much the same three things every day. But I do like loud, fucking weird sneakers anyway. So I'm wearing these on set and Harrison goes, what's the story with these sneakers, and I go, I was actually in Vegas with Bill and he won like all this money in blackjack and I got crushed and I was like bummed out. So I went and bought these at the Gucci store and he goes and those cheered you up.
Speaker 4: He's real Harrison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Harrison didn't understand. I'm sure Harrison understands retail therapy. He just didn't understand why those particularly loud Gucci sneakers were retail therapy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're getting to know the real Harrison for it. Everybody knows. Everybody else who doesn't have the privilege of getting to hang out with him frequently knows the freaking persona. You know what I mean, You're seeing vulnerability and all that stuff. That's I envy that. I envy that about. I envy that because you got that with Morgan, you got that with Harrison. Yeah, you know what I mean? You you Michael Michael Caine, Yeah, fucking you know the list, like.
Speaker 2: Work with some legends. I gotta say, Harrison's just so cool, and he's so good on the show. The scripts are so good this year, and he's just incredible and and what's cool about an actor like that is, you know, first time through, they're basically like where do you want me to stand? Pretty much this time it was more like, felt way more collaborative, like what do you think should it be more of this or this? And that's just that's when it gets really cool.
Speaker 1: I love it. That's so cool, bro, Yeah, that's so fucking cool. I mean, we can't talk about some of the stories that you told me off camera, I mean off but just some of the things you've said, just you know, I've already gone to friends and been like and then Zach said he said this, and fucking when Zach told me that, oh my god, my heart melted, like just it's just so fucking awesome, and I go, yeah, I'm really happy for you, but also fuck your sound machines. Zach. I wanted you to come.
Speaker 2: I wanted you to come visit, but that just never seemed to work out.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think I could handle myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that you'd behave either. The other thing is I want to just say to the words, have a movie coming out. I think when this airs, it'll be out. It's a movie. It's gonna be I think it's in like fifty theaters in the US, but in a lot more in Canada. It's a movie I made with Vanessa Hudgens called French Girl. And but anyway, you most likely will be able to get it on demand wherever you buy a rent movies like iTunes or Amazon or whatever. And it's really cute. It's like to Meet the Parents kind of romantic comedy where I'm going to propose to my girlfriend. I'm absolutely in love with her, and she's French Canadian and she gets a job offer in her home city of Quebec City, and I think, oh, that's where I'll propose in front of her whole family. I'll make it so dramatic and romantic, and we go up there. And while I'm up there meeting her French, beautiful French family that live on a farm and they're lovely people, I'm a little bit of a fish out of water. I don't speak any French. And while I'm there, I learned that the woman who's offering her this chef position, played by Vanessa Hudgens, used to be her lover and she wants to get my girlfriend back. And so it becomes like Vanessa and I competing over this amazing, beautiful French woman.
Speaker 1: Why y'all gotta compete?
Speaker 2: Hilarity ensues, Yeah, why y'all gotta compete? Well, I don't think either one of us wants to share the amazing woman.
Speaker 1: I'm not a sharer either. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: And anyway, it's really cute, it's really funny. It's kind of meet the parents' tone because everything I try and do goes wrong, and I think you'll like it.
Speaker 1: Chela is a door, very fun. Yeah, I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 2: I get to you a lot of physical comedy, which I haven't done since Scrubs, and that's fun.
Speaker 1: So now you shot this a while ago, too, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, shot it a while ago, yes, but it's finally coming out. It's good. Vanessa is really hot and funny in it, as always, as always, she's great and Nedda tic tic boom. Yes, what do you think is speaking of Vanessa? And only because she was hosting the Red Carpet. The oscars were really great this year, weren't they They were great?
Speaker 4: Oscars were fine.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna say something really quick.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, this sounds controversial.
Speaker 1: It's not controversial, Okay, two lights out moments and the Oscars, I think there were. It was lights out seeing it coming out with the freaking thing, lights out, hilarious. You can't sit here and tell me you didn't laughing, funny, very funny. And then gossling coming out there and doing kin I don't can fuck with anybody, says, lights out, both of them.
Speaker 2: Not that hilarious. You crushed that. But also there were other moments. Billy Eilish's performance I thought was I was credible.
Speaker 1: Just right, But I wasn't laughing like I was laughing watching those two things. I you know, I expect to see great, dramatic and heartfelt performances like the you know, the there was a standing ovation for the for the Memoriam, you know what I mean. You know what I mean. I expect to see grand you know, dramatic. It's the Oscars. It's rare that you laugh your ass off like that. Yeah, where you were you giggling so hard at what's going on?
Speaker 2: I'm just telling you a goose pumpy moment for me, I agree, those were hilarious moments. But when Billy and Phineas were singing and then and it was just very simple, right, and then they had yet to reveal that there was an orchestra back there. And then so they were spinning on this little simple turntable, and then the stage opened up to reveal Ricky Minor and the orchestra, and I got goosebumps all over my whole body. It was so good.
Speaker 1: First of all, shout out Ricky Minor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ricky Miner's got a monopoly on those award shows.
Speaker 1: I love him.
Speaker 4: Is for people.
Speaker 2: Not oh, he's a famous conductor and producer, but he seems to always have the Whenever there's a big award show and a big ass orchestra, he's usually the one conducting the orchestra.
Speaker 1: Not only that, he's just an incredible person when he seems me he is always so nice and loving. And I just I really shout out Ricky Minor.
Speaker 2: I just don't really want he Minor listens to the podcast, but maybe now someone will know.
Speaker 1: He's his favorite podcast. I've already he told me it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were a lot of good I love the sort of style of having the actors come out and say something nice about each of the nominees. That was so elegant, beautiful, so lovely and moving, super moving, and also just like a great opportunity for every nominee to be honored by another person who's receiving award, but also for the winner to then be congratulated and kind of like welcomed into that club.
Speaker 5: Just being like congratulations. It was beautiful. I really loved it.
Speaker 1: And for the losers to wish that they were welcomed.
Speaker 2: I like what Daniel said, You're still honored in a way. Divine Joy Randolph is that her name?
Speaker 4: That's correct?
Speaker 2: When she started crying because what Lupina and Young said, Oh my gosh, that was one of the most moving moments of the night. I thought.
Speaker 3: When she was already classmates at Yale, I think divines one year under Lapida and so yeah, when they were able to especially when they were able to have these emotional ties and relationships to one another like amazone, Yeah yeah, but in the way that they were able to give it to a friend so a Frank could give it to her, like, it just made everything much more emotional and sweep.
Speaker 1: Yes, Emma is Emma.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, Emma. If there's one person, a young person who deserves two oscars already, it's Emma Stone. She is so fucking good. She's really good and Donald. I know you'll never see that movie, but you're missing them. One of the most amazing performances ever. I wish I could tell you there was lightsabers in it, so you'd at least peek at it.
Speaker 1: Is there music.
Speaker 3: There's beautiful music, strange, bizarre, awesome music and gorgeous set design.
Speaker 2: Will be Wan.
Speaker 1: Isn't it for some reason like Alice in Wonderland.
Speaker 2: No, it's sort of a Frankenstein story. It's basically about about how a guy, Willem Dafoe, creates a young woman.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like, now I want to see this movie.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like my movie.
Speaker 1: We always joke about weird science.
Speaker 2: It's like a modern day artful weird science.
Speaker 1: I am now interested. I would like to see this movie.
Speaker 2: And it's on Hulu. You can watch it. Yeah, it's really good. I highly recommend it. And just the design, I mean it won all the design awards as it should. The costumes, these make up, these sets. You're gonna think like, wow, is this all cgi? I can't believe someone would have built all of this. It's all built on stage in Hungary. I believe.
Speaker 4: Rgo Lamos is just a guy.
Speaker 2: Interesting I saw, but I got so into it that I watched her behind the scenes, which I'm sure anyone listening can track down on YouTube. And it was just about how they built these sets which were enormous and like Emma Stone's interviewed and she says, you could get lost in these cities and they're all on stage, like enormous stages. Really cool.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of how much how big Star Wars sets. Oh god, it used to be before the CG and the volume and all of that.
Speaker 4: Stuff, the whole city for and or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's it is huge. That was an exception.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So as you say, bring it back, it's going back around and coming back.
Speaker 2: Are you excited about that?
Speaker 4: I am very excited.
Speaker 1: I like all of it. I'm gonna be honest with you. I still love it. Even though it's on, even though it's on a television screen behind the actors, I still love it. It's still it's still Star Wars to me.
Speaker 2: Has anyone seen done too?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: No, And I really want to see it, but I'm waiting for it to because I have a thing about going to theaters. Now. Man, it just doesn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I, yeah, I see Doune too in a theater. I'm gonna go see in the theater.
Speaker 3: Theater, Donald, it's not that expensive. What's you're done several times?
Speaker 2: What's your fear?
Speaker 1: My fear about movie theaters. It's not my fear. I don't have a fear about it. It's just COVID set off something completely different in me when it comes to that ship.
Speaker 2: And I still master movie theater.
Speaker 1: I don't like I want to be comfortable too, though.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go see it. I'm gonna go see it in some giant imax either, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean. And I'm gonna be honest with you. Back in the day, I would try and get seats that were separated from people anyway, And now you can't do that regardless, you know what I mean. Like, if I want to sit two rows over, I mean a seat over at the if there's three seats or four seats and I want to sit in the middle of those four seats, I can't do that shit. And you used to be able to do stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Well, go if you go to a day screening, I think a week day, but.
Speaker 1: Dune, this is gonna be like one of the number one. It's got to be one of the number one.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm sure that if that's your biggest concern, I'm sure you could find a weekday, early morning screening where you don't have to sit on top of people.
Speaker 1: I'm animating, man, didn't you hear how we started this shit? I just want to wait until it comes out and I can watch it on my big screen at home with the sound machine and pop some popcorn and enjoy it that way. I mean, you see where I'm sitting.
Speaker 2: Okay, I go off off, I get it.
Speaker 4: Dad my dances every time every just like my dad. He's like, no, wait till it comes. I got a big screen downstairs. I don't need the movie theater.
Speaker 1: I don't need it anymore. I don't need it dates happening in this house.
Speaker 2: What's sad though? It is like what's sad though? Is like I hear you, and a lot of people listening agree with you. I just it's just so sad, like we were all everyone in the movie industry is like clutching on, like, well, at least we have these big ten polls where people will still go to the theater and now people are being like, nah, my TV is big enough, fuck it, and we're watching the death of the movie theater in real time. It's a it's a tough thing, but anyway, it is what it is, and at least there's lots of good entertainment. And it'll just shift to to your home TV and will always have the ballet.
Speaker 1: I'll always have the balet. Everything was beautiful.
Speaker 2: I want to play the audience a song. It's one of the most beautiful things has it ever heard. I sent this to you guys in your d MS, and it's just it's just it's become a very important song to me in my life, and I wanted to share with you guys. Okay, hold on, I got to cue it up everyone this. I want to give a shout out to the Instagram account there. I ruined it spelled t h e r E. I ruined it. Okay, this is Donald. This goes out to you.
Speaker 1: I like big butts.
Speaker 6: I cannot lie you other brothers.
Speaker 2: Canton night.
Speaker 1: When a girl walks in with an any pity, waste.
Speaker 5: And a round thing in your face, you get strong because you notice that but wor stuff.
Speaker 1: You pull up to.
Speaker 2: Deep in the gen.
Speaker 1: She's wear rich.
Speaker 2: Ju all that jump inside that trunk. Hey, Hey, I'm a gad cat. Can't you try? Can you trunk up? There? You go? It goes on and on. But that's uh, I think that's that's what's an important thing for us all to hear.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you played it. I feel culturally enriched.
Speaker 2: Amen. All right, let's get in a season nine dollar counter sent.
Speaker 1: I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I gotta do it. You gotta we gotta do it. Do it, do it, do it?
Speaker 1: You honor me?
Speaker 2: Do it?
Speaker 1: My six seven stories that show we made about a bunch of times and nurses in Canada, he said, he's the stories netlik knowe here yea.
Speaker 2: All right, Welcome to season nine. Everyone, I'm sure has a lot to say.
Speaker 1: Please leave them in Joel's inbox. She's been waiting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: iHeart at gmail dot.
Speaker 2: Com, RBS, iHeart at gmail dot com. I want to hear what you have to say about season nine.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Donald, I want to start with Daniel and Joel first, okay, and what they thought, because I feel like I'm I I need to. I don't want to. I don't want to start.
Speaker 2: I would rather I can start I mean, but go ahead, Joelle, what do you have to say broad strokes? Joel, you don't have to keep I got, well it's a long podcast. You can you don't have to keep it brief.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: I think it was so lovely to see Zach opening up. You're like, wow, this you'll so familiar, how lovely, the eagle grand the shouting from the hospital so cool. And then as soon as they were like, it's a different hospital, I said.
Speaker 7: Skirt, this is scrubs.
Speaker 1: Where are we?
Speaker 4: What's happening?
Speaker 3: I miss the dirty hospitle new and clean, and it's so big and like lush and green like this.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel right.
Speaker 3: And immediately I heard Bill in the back of my mind being like, it's a different show. It's a different show.
Speaker 8: Think of it.
Speaker 3: It's a different show. And I said, okay, if I try to lean into that. I like the Lucy character. She's fun on punch Cole in the face.
Speaker 4: I don't like him. It's a horrible person.
Speaker 3: I'm intrigued by des relationship with the guy that Cox eventually calls his number one. Cox says, a straight up teacher, fascinating. There was like a lot of as I was watched its like, there's so much stuff that works. I just don't think it had found his footing in the pilot, which is very common for TV. So if I were watching this fresh, I would be like, I will watch another couple of episodes and see if they find their groove. I like what's being set up. It does not feel like Scrubs, even though I see the Scrubs cast Sarah putting her boobs on your head. I mean, I almost on the floor.
Speaker 2: They're heavy, I said, they're heavy.
Speaker 4: That's a weird moment.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll jump in. I want to say something just to start off season nine, and I really did feel this when I watched it, to say, when we dis season nine, we are never ever meaning to diss any of these wonderful actors, because I think I wanted to just start out by saying one of the things I got right off the bat was, Gosh, these new kids quote unquote are so funny and so talented and so pretty, and they're all really, really talented people. It was a kind of herculean task for them to try and step into the roles of a beloved ensemble that I've been doing it for eight years and it's a big ask, but nonetheless they were put in that position. I think Carrie Boshe is adorable and lovable and funny. But yeah, as a viewer, I'm watching it going why is this so clean? And why what is this environment?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: It's funny? We know how that that that line from Madam Webb was getting dragged so much they even mentioned it the oscars. What was that sentence? It was like when you were she was my mom, when she was a doctor?
Speaker 4: Do you know that sense amazon rainforest? Oh gosh, I.
Speaker 2: Don't have the line, Dan All, they'll find it, But it was like it was like the reason they're making fun of it is because it was like so much exposition, like condensed into one quick moment. And that's why I felt like that JD had one line that was like that. It was like explaining why we're in this weird environment and and and why I everyone now works at a school and like and then and they tore down the hospital and they all work and we all work in a school now. I don't know, it's just weird, right, I have the line?
Speaker 5: What's the line? So it was a joke from John mulaney. He said with that sound we wouldn't have been able to hear such classical line says you're going to need a bigger boat, or I'll have what she's having. And he was in the Amazon with my mother when she was researching spiders just before she died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like making fun of them for like cramming all his exposition into one sentence. But anyway, that's my first impression is that, you know, Carrie Bisa and Franco and Eliza Koop and all all this gang, they were really they're really talented, Mickey Wheeland, They're all really funny and talented. It was just a big ask of them.
Speaker 1: Donald, go ahead, Anniel, do you want to go?
Speaker 5: I'll very briefly echo some of the thoughts I'm hearing here, like I think the only thing I'll add is that seeing a lot of these actors when they're particularly young, seeing a very young Dave Franco, when we have seen him like grow up so much over the years in between this time was definitely like a oh, look at that. And seeing you guys again in this kind of out of place but still in place. It was almost like an uncanny valley where it's like, as Joelle said, it's like it is Scrub, but it's also kind of not like it is, you guys, and it's so many of the main players. It felt so familiar and yet so distant, which was I think, you know, as Bill was saying, try and think of it as a spin off, think of it something new. But there was so much that was reminiscent about it that the strangeness made me feel even farther away from it than it did make it feel familiar. Yeah, and I think, like we said when we were talking about doing a spin off or like what the spinoff would be many episodes ago, it's like it's a big ask to just, all of the sudden, introduce a bunch of new people and expect it to hit as hard as it did, even with so many of these familiar faces, And like you're saying, great actors, it was a big ask. It was a big ask of the audience. And yeah, I don't know if I don't know if it landed properly.
Speaker 1: All right, they did something that never works, all right. I echo everything you guys said. It was absolutely everybody on this Bad Boy it is talented, everyone is you know, you know what I mean. But they did something that never works, and every show on television does it. When they're trying to survive, they try to fucking Sam that shit or cousin Oliver that shit, and it never works. And that's what I'm ready.
Speaker 2: To explain, that reference to young people that don't get a difference reference.
Speaker 1: So when shows get old and the kids get older, and people and networks feel like the audience can't relate the audience that we want to watch, the show can't relate anymore. Writers are forced to create a new character to bring life to the show, and for some it's Sam. On different strokes. There was Arnold and Willis and Kimberly when they were kids, and that's what the show was about them being kids. But when they got older, it was like, we can't write the same story, Like Arnold can't get kidnapped anymore. He's nineteen years old, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: They bringing a young, cute kid.
Speaker 1: So they bring in a young cute kid and they let all of those stories happen to that kid. And that's what they tried to do with Scrubs. They felt like, for some reason, the audience can't relate to these guys going through these stories. Anymore. It was really about when they were Scrubs was really new and fresh, when they were young and they were energetic, and they were and they were and they were and they didn't know all the answers. Let's recreate that again. Even better, Let's throw them in a school and turn it into a classroom setting head of the class, and we'll bring back all of our favorites to teach these kids right that shit doesn't work. Now.
Speaker 2: Were you and Johnny c the only regulars from the original cast or was Sarah?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 2: I think Sarah and.
Speaker 1: I comes back and does like six episodes. You do six episodes when you leave, Sarah comes, there's six episodes where it's you and you're still narrating the show, trying to keep everybody there right, and then you leave and it's all thrown on to Carrie BChE and and I'm gonna be honest with you, guys, it's a big ask. Yeah, it's not the same show.
Speaker 2: But she's very charming and able.
Speaker 1: I love her fucking jumping over the counter and doing that stuff.
Speaker 2: She's I like to think I discovered Carrie Bouche, but I but Bill would probably fight me on that because I cast her in a pilot that my brother Adam wrote, and it probably didn't get picked up, but we shot it and we cast her and she was so good in it. And I feel like I must have mentioned her and showed Bill the pilot. He would probably have a different answer for that, but I think that. But anyway, I always thought she's so so charming and interesting.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Another thing that came to my mind is do you remember him in Groundhog Day when he naturally falls on the ground in a romantic way with it's Annie mccarwell, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then when his con is finally working, Yes.
Speaker 2: And then he tries to like recreate it and it's so cringe it doesn't happen naturally. Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That That's kind of how I felt watching this. I felt like we're trying to like cringely recreate like something that was working. So you and I doing an eagle like and saying eagle twice and screaming from across the parking lot, just like we did when when you came back from your honeymoon. It just felt like we were doing that that Groundhog Day of trying to like recreate something that had been magical.
Speaker 1: All right, I might say one last thing and then you're going to be mad. You guys are gonna be mad.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna be mad. We want your honesty.
Speaker 1: The show got better when it was just focused on us. Also, like what hundred I didn't give two craps about the interns or yeah, no you were.
Speaker 2: But you have to look at it from a non biased point of view.
Speaker 1: Do you think you were just was just going into this. If I was just coming into this show and I had never seen Scrubs before in my life, right, and this was the first introduction, I'd be like, oh, wow, this is a really cool show. These guys are great. But after nine, after eight years, and then going into this and then bringing back the same people and then saying it's Scrubs with Bill's right, that was the mistake. They should have called that ship something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, med School just maybe we should have been.
Speaker 1: Maybe we shouldn't have been in it. Maybe driving down to.
Speaker 2: Sunset Boulevard today and there was like a billboard for the New Law and Order with Tony Goldwyn, and then there was a bill a separate billboard for SVU, and then there was a separate billboard for another one. Yeah, and I was like, uh, there's like so many law and orders and like it could have that would have that wouldn't have better. Yeah, it would have been a better route to be like med School. Yeah, and Bill Bill Bill has said he tried so hard for that, but they didn't want to do that because they were worried about the branding of it. O.
Speaker 1: I would have been dope, then you can compete against your own show and stuff like that, Scrubs, Scrubs, Med School. Then you have the crossovers. Yeah, that would have been fire Man. It didn't work.
Speaker 2: It didn't work like that. Also an another variable that was, you know, changing the environment so drastically, I think in addition to it being you know, for those of you who listened, all eight years of Scrubs were filmed at an actual abandoned hospital. This is the first season that was shot on sets. So when you're when you see the outdoor area, that's actually the back lot of.
Speaker 1: The back those are those are office buildings on Culver City Studios. On the Culver City Studios.
Speaker 10: I think it's now Amazon, right, Yeah, that's the new That was the new buildings that they had built for the people that worked and the other side where we filmed like the quad and all that stuff was where like Gone with the Wind and all of that shit was filmed.
Speaker 1: Uh, and that used to be that used to be the bag the offices.
Speaker 2: I think pieces of Wizard of Oz maybe were shot there. Like it's an old lot along with next it is Sony, which which definitely had some Wizard of Oz. I'm not sure what falls where, but yeah, lots of old classic movies. And then then it was called the Culver City Lot and now I think it's been bought by Amazon if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: It was Culver Studios when we were there.
Speaker 2: Okay, and that's where Bill shot Cougartown and that's why it was moved there so Bill could kind of run back and forth.
Speaker 1: Between run back and forth.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he didn't do much running back and forth.
Speaker 1: But in theory he could overread Cougartown like this.
Speaker 2: He could oversee Cougartown. But anyway, when you're seeing all those exterior shots, that's like, yeah, Donald's right, it's not even a backlot. It's just like it's just like that was just the outdoor area of this lot. And then all the interior stuff was was were sets on a stage and also in addition to that, it was we had shot eight years on sixteen millimeter film and I believe this this was the first time the show moved to HD video, So all of those factors make it have quite a different look.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: The look was a bigger factor than I anticipated. It really makes a difference. It's a huge, huge difference.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, my big laughs, my big laughs. Okay, stories that I'm interested in.
Speaker 2: Wait, We're going to go through the whole show and I'll just do your highlights.
Speaker 1: My bad. I thought we were.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't like the way I looked either.
Speaker 1: You don't like the way you looked? Yeah, I just I just you know, I could tell you, talk to you about the way I looked. I had fake like all right, so my teeth are not real. They're not the teeth that I were born with. I've got veneers and I'm I've but this was going through the process of it, so at this point I had like fake like not even veneers. So it's like that gel that they put yeah, kind of pretty much, but it's like the gel that they put in your mouth and then they shape your teeth to make it look like you have teeth and stuff like that. And so when I look at this, all I see is the and you have to have this wash because they've this is back in the day, because they've grinded down your teeth and your gums are like exposed and stuff like that. And so when I look at that, all I see is just the smell that I was going through at that time.
Speaker 2: How long did you have to have a smelly teeth?
Speaker 1: It was for like a good three months and stuff like that. So while we were filming this, and then towards the end, I get my permanent jump offs in.
Speaker 2: I think, will you let us know when we were watching these when you have.
Speaker 1: Your when it skips over, Oh, you'll be able to tell because the smile gets so big.
Speaker 2: Should we take a break, Dew, great idea, Zach, all right, we're gonna take a break. When we come back, we're going to talk about how much Donald loves season nine, what you're trying to get into one day, or what you're.
Speaker 1: Trying to do.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. Well, there's not a lot of us in this episode. Let's talk about who is there. You got Dave Franco. You got Carrie Masha, You've got Eliza Coop, You've got Nicky.
Speaker 1: Wheelan, you got Michael Winslow. Michael his real name.
Speaker 2: That's gonna sound what.
Speaker 1: That's what I called him. So I got a I got a great story about that too. His name is Mike Mosley.
Speaker 2: Mike Mosley.
Speaker 1: He did a great too, but but I thought his last name was For some reason, I confused him with Michael Winslow, and so I started calling him Winslow on set. You know, Michael went cringe right, no doubt. So he throws a party and I'm old man at this time, but I'll give fuck I'm like thirty seven, and he doesn't invite any of the older people. I don't get to invite Zacherson, and I'm pissed off. But he invites all the young motherfuckers but he doesn't invite the o G cast. I'm like this mother right, And I go to a live I go to Eliza Cooper and I go, yo, hold on, Eliza, you got invited to Michael Winslow's party. And she was like, who I said, Michael Winslow, you know the dude that place drew And she goes, you mean Michael Mosley and I go, oh, I go, yeah, well he didn't invite me to the party. You've been calling him Michael Winslow.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, did you ever did you ever take ownership of that and apologize?
Speaker 1: I was like, motherfucker, why didn't you correct me and say my name is fucking Michael Moseley. He's like, I didn't realize that you were calling me Michael Winslow. Like, mother fin you out so full of shit Winslow. It's like how motherfuckers call me clueless.
Speaker 2: Last, in the spirit of us trying to recreate moments all our groundhog Day, I thought when we hugged and well, I say, you smell like you've been in prison, that was.
Speaker 1: Not funny at all.
Speaker 6: And also it was when you.
Speaker 2: Know what our hug was like like seasons one through eight, It used to be like we did two guys who love each other. This was like these two on a fuck Yeah.
Speaker 1: Dude, I'm knocked over the stunt man to get to you.
Speaker 2: It was too much. The look of the smelling you is like, like, yeah, too much.
Speaker 1: I think she comes by and she goes to you guys, But I think that's the joke also because she's like, you guys need a room. It was, but we skipped so much. See, this is what I'm talking about. This is what I'm talking about. The show gets funny to me right when my head is on the motherfucking on the damn thing. That's when I was like, all right, this is funny.
Speaker 2: The white mannekin. It's funny when you give all your students an f because they're white.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's when I started laughing, this is funny.
Speaker 2: Well raise your hand if you're white. Yeah, that was funny that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We have a little guy love reprise right after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then we run each other.
Speaker 2: We said, I seem like a prisoner. And then then someone is like, well, how long has it been since you guys seen each other? We carpooled here this morning. Then we see the new title sequence, which is really weird. I don't think I've ever seen it.
Speaker 1: That's nice. I remember shooting it.
Speaker 2: It's not bane. I remember shooting it too. I remember being like, why do I have to be in this? I'm not even in the show anymore.
Speaker 1: Six episodes.
Speaker 2: But then it's it's it's Wahs and the artist named wa was It's not laslow Bane. It's not Chad from laslow Baine singing his own song.
Speaker 1: It's very melancholic all of a sudden, like they're trying to do I don't know, man, it said, Listen, I'm not hating on the show. I just feel like it was the room being honest. It was I think, and I'm not gonna lie. I laughed a couple of times. It just didn't feel like it's just branded wrong. I agree with that the branding should have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let me give you a little thing. On the title sequence, it's a new version covered by singer songwriter Waz, who was featured before on Scrubs in My Full Moon and who was also responsible for the music in Bill Lawrence this other show, Cougartown. The chest X ray in the title sequence is no longer backwards. And also Bill Lawrence managed to sneak in Med School like he wanted in an attempt to position the new season as a spin off.
Speaker 1: That's what it should have been, right then and there. It should have just said in Med School and not Scrubs. And I don't think. I don't think we should have been in it. That's just me from We're from where we're at right now. I think we're so distracting to the audience. This is why we're so distracting to the audience, you know what I mean, the one person that could be there. You keep Eliza, and you can even bring in Kelso. But we're so distracting to the audience that it makes it so that it's like, wait, is this scrubs or is this or is this med school? Who am I supposed to follow you doing the monologue and her doing the monologue? It's confused. It's you know what I mean, as a watcher, it's like, Uh.
Speaker 2: The idea was to pass the torch and to warm up the audience to Carriebousche, and then little by little JD fades out. That was the that was the plan.
Speaker 1: We're really heavily in this story. In the beginning of it, though, I.
Speaker 2: Laughed the janitor quits when he finds out that JD's not really coming back.
Speaker 1: A lot of people know this, but he was contracted to do the middle Yeah, but I'm saying story wise, it's funny when they do that.
Speaker 2: I laughed at that little flashback when when you tell him that I'm never coming back.
Speaker 1: You he just puts them and he puts them up. It doesn't it doesn't track.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he just hands off the mop and leaves. His whole goal, his whole reason for staying at the hospital.
Speaker 1: Was the torture. Left you left in the last episode.
Speaker 2: Right, No, there's a flashback. It's not saying recently, it's saying after flashback.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't track. So you're saying the day you left, the day you were out to out after all of that ship.
Speaker 2: That's what happened. That's what's funny about it.
Speaker 1: No, they could have just said they laid his ass off. They said something like that. That would have been I think it's funny that he leaves. It doesn't track because.
Speaker 2: He's His reason for being was the torture JD. When he doesn't have JD, he's like, fuck this, I retire.
Speaker 1: He was there before JD. The whole conversation about the episode about how he the group's always changed and everything like that.
Speaker 2: I know, but like, just like, just like JD was Cox's favorite student, JD became the Janitor's raison debtra his reason for existing. He committed his whole life to torturing JD. And when JD was gone. He was like, I'm going to retire. O. Fuck this place.
Speaker 1: There's so many people. He sold the scroll arm.
Speaker 2: Hand with Stephen. He does Stephen, Stephen who whatever? We didn't do we ever find out what happened Stephen. Okay, So JD has Stephen somewhere. Okay, so let's get in some more of this. Cox has has numbers.
Speaker 1: Was that seeing him in front of all of those people, man doing the freaking monologue now is good as he's in a as as if he's in a perscenium.
Speaker 2: I was good. I thought. I thought that set, by the way, was good. Was if you're going to do a college classroom set, that was a really good looking set by Cabin McMullen. And I thought Johnny did a good job with that monologue.
Speaker 1: Obviously, I I was pissed off after I saw his office, I mean his uh, his classroom, and then I saw my classroom the size of a shoe box.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the idea is that he gets to freaking he gets the freaking hole. Yeah, that was good though, I mean was that was he did a really good job. And then we see me meet so he Cox gives different numbers to the med students, and he gives Kerryebsha nineteen, meaning her ranking is nineteenth from his favorite. And we meet the beautiful Australian actress Nikki Wheeland, who doesn't have much to do in this first episode.
Speaker 1: But nobody can understand what.
Speaker 2: Nobody can understand her. That's kind of funny.
Speaker 1: What is she saying?
Speaker 2: He has no idea what she's saying. Drew and Eliza we established they have. There's a lot of sex in this episode.
Speaker 1: They established their relationships quite early.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: I think they really wanted to say in the pilot, like, guys, there's gonna be lots of sex, please stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Sex with a lot of young people.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, young people will be banging. Please stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Tonight on a very special episode of Med School. There will be banging.
Speaker 2: Yes, tonight, there'll be some jokes and banging on SCOF. So you've got Carrie Bouchet hooking up with Dave Franco, And how fucked up is it that Dave Franco takes a secret picture of her bending over and prints it and then just carries it around and carries it around.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I was confused. Is he carrying it around to show people we never know, or is he carrying it around because he never wants to forget the moment? I mean, is it a central Like first of all, one, two, his ass should be in jail for shit like that, right, don't you go to jail for stuff like that?
Speaker 4: Well you can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, First of all, it's so fucked up. And then the only thing I hated more than that was the fact that when Jad finally has a good teacher moment, he becomes he's very you know, empathized with Carrie Bouchet obviously because he was in her spot. That's the whole point of handing off this journey to carry Boschet's character. And then he leads her off and then sneaks a look at the picture again. It was so like I was like no, I was like, no, that is not the way. First of all, how does he recognize her if it's a picture of her bent over?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: She says, this is a picture of me, and then I think JD responds to that.
Speaker 2: Okay, But but just for Clarity's sake, I know it was a comedy and everything, but when we see Cole take the picture and she's bent over, like she's putting her socks on or whatever. So it doesn't really make sense that she would be able to.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what I'm trying to say. It's collogy. Now. The way the show looks it does feel very national lampoon ish, old school lampoonish.
Speaker 4: He does have lampoonish vibes, Yeah, lampoonish, Spottish.
Speaker 2: Now, JD. I really didn't like JD as a teacher. I know that's supposed to be the joke that he's like so performative and lights camera teach. It's like so much and none of the students are into it. Understandably, there was a cool fantasy when camera teach. What I w It's funny because he's supposed to be like bad at it, which we're supposed to go, oh, I see JD's not good at this. But I was kind of cringing, like, oh, he's annoying. I don't want to be I don't know, but what what hold on?
Speaker 1: Lights, camera teach. He's not teaching for the students, he's teaching for him. He's freaking I'm fucking on stage. He's on stage at this moment.
Speaker 4: JD's imagination there isn't a full camera crew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, he's living in a musical theater. He has to come up with a sign for when to take them to diagnosity. He comes up with Sam. Yeah, he's living his dream as a performer in front of that giant classroom.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Now I did like the fantasy of I thought it was shot well. When Carrie leaps over the Yeah, and Johnny c who would totally be cast as a sheriff on a man hunt, totally southern sheriff on a manhunt with dogs. Johnny would get that part.
Speaker 1: I thought that, say less, Johnny, would you want what?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: A state trooper on a manhunt with a dog?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm there, stay less, Can my biceps be out?
Speaker 1: I'm there?
Speaker 2: Can the Can the shirt around my biceps be very fitted? Okay, I'll get the next flight out there.
Speaker 1: I am on my way. Where are we feeling? New Mexico? On my way?
Speaker 2: I've worked there. I'm on my way.
Speaker 1: Are we staying the Andolous? I'll be there.
Speaker 2: So what's it called the there's like two hotels in New Mexico in Albuquerque where actors always stay. Is that what the one that you're talking about?
Speaker 1: The andolous.
Speaker 2: I think that maybe what I stayed in too.
Speaker 1: That's the one everybody says, with the courtyard downstairs with the little booths all around.
Speaker 2: And I think, so you stay stayed in another one, that's the one I stayed in one that was kind of nice.
Speaker 1: This was nice. It's nice, or it was when I was there, the fourth Star hotel. Let's take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after these fine words. Okay, So Lucy sleeps with cold. We got the picture.
Speaker 1: Oh, I liked.
Speaker 2: I laughed at that when I said to Cox, stay open for business in here in your heart cage.
Speaker 1: I liked. I liked that. JD's wearing the jacket from Dangerous Minds?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so how did JD get the jacket from danger sions?
Speaker 1: We never learned that back probably wanted out an auction. Michelle Fifer probably hadn't auction, but he was auctioning off and on.
Speaker 2: But he adds the professorial. Uh, why do professors always have those? Someone tell me about it? Why that is a trope? Why do professors always no? But what is the what is the reason?
Speaker 1: What is the reason? On their table, they're on the desk talking to the kids grading with their heads down.
Speaker 2: I just want to know why we associate elbow patches with professors.
Speaker 1: It has to be because the elbows are on the desks all the time. So uh.
Speaker 5: Based on a little cursory web search, it looks like the stereotype started because tweed was a relatively cheap, but warm material, and professors were a relatively poorly paid class of professionals, so they kept wearing them until the elbows were out, and then they patched them.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's that makes sense, But now it's become just a thing. If you're going to play a professor, you better have some elbow patches on. So but JD when he bought her Michelle Pfeiffer's Dangerous Mind's coat, it didn't have elbow patches, so he added them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his leather is the leather jacket, right, No, the.
Speaker 2: Leather patches probably sweded.
Speaker 1: Probably, I'm talking about the jacket. She wears a leather jacket in that I'm I'm confusing it with freaking La la land. She wears a leather jacket, the red leather jacket or the audition confused? Oh, for the audition, that's Dangerous Minds meets.
Speaker 2: Oh when she does the Dangerous Minds audition. That's it's so funny. What does she say about?
Speaker 1: No you you you be chilling? You, you be bucking? Yeah, you be tripping? Yeah? Why you be tripped?
Speaker 8: Lady?
Speaker 1: Why you be tripping?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: No, such you be tripping?
Speaker 2: And I love that the casting director is like, it's actually it's.
Speaker 1: An actual casting director that's reading with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey lady, you be tripping? No, no, Jamal, lady, why you be tripping? And I think the character's name is Jamal?
Speaker 1: Right, but lady, why you be tripping? Right?
Speaker 2: It might be I don't know, can you look that up? Guys does play casting director in?
Speaker 1: But why do you be tripping? That's it's a hilarity. No, I want to say it's like no raheem, but it's probably no Jamal.
Speaker 2: It's something like, I think it's Jamal, No Jamal, you be tripping?
Speaker 1: You be tripping?
Speaker 2: That ship's hilarious. And anyone who's an actor who's been out here in this town that the reason that is so funny is because a some casting directors will will read like that to you, and you're like, you have to act off of it and to the idea of like, you know, just doing it of her auditioning for a d Dre's minds like role was just so funny. Damn, I don't know if I'm open TikTok. You know they're about to ban this sucking app anyway.
Speaker 1: That's gone, dude, TikTok about to be gone.
Speaker 2: Can you play it? Play it in the Yeah, I got to kill I got you hold on, Daniel's going to play it for us.
Speaker 7: This is my classroom.
Speaker 2: You don't like it? The doors from my left lady, Why you be tripping like that? No, Jamal, you be tripping. But you know it's so good about a stone room. She sold the ship out of.
Speaker 1: It, like you were like, this is where this is where I get pissed off. In the beginning of the movie, that first audition she goes to where she's studying it. In the we're doing La La Land all of a sudden, I digress. But anyway, the beginning of the movies, we watch podcast when she goes to the freaking audition and she's freaking standing there and she's talking to like her lover on the phone and she's like, Yo, so you're gonna when are you gonna tell her, you're gonna tell your wife in such and such that we're together, or when you and he's and he has to change your heart, and she and and she has to play it off like she's happy, but she's crying and she's crushed, and the casting director is not paying attention. She's killing it in that scene, she's destroying it, and the casting director doesn't see it. That's just so frustrating.
Speaker 2: But I know, like during that movie, if you're supposed to think that she's a great actress early on or not, because I think you're supposed to be see for one woman show, it didn't look that great, right.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 1: I think the thing is that's the whole thing. There are so many great actors out there, and until you get your break, until somebody's willing to take a chance on you, you're not going to get that work right, right. And so here she is killing all of this shit. She's in there fucking crushing it, and all these other people suck and she's fucking nailing it, and the cast and director's got fucking Joe Blow on their mind and is not thinking of them, right, And same thing with you know what I mean, Same thing with the director directors like, yeah, she's different, She's not the one. You know, I'm really into this girl. I'm not into this girl. Fuck this, let's go with you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like it's it's and then and then to your point, when she has that audition where she sings that audition song, someone she's so dropped into what they were looking for. That someone then takes a chance on her, and her career takes off, and it.
Speaker 1: Takes off, and it's like finally I see you, and then everybody sees her.
Speaker 2: Now do you need to go into your loud monologue about how there's plenty of jazz clubs in Paris? And Ryan Goslin could have gone there.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, because Ryan's just can now it's all good, all right.
Speaker 2: I really missed the era of you drunk tweeting about Lawa Land while you were on airplanes. That was a phase.
Speaker 1: I watched that movie because I listen, man, that movie.
Speaker 2: I would love back when I was on Twitter donalds Alane again because he's fucking he's writing tweets like there are plenty of jazz clubs in Paris. I don't know why he didn't follow her.
Speaker 1: No, because he didn't need to. I don't look now. I look at it and I'm like, look in my eyes. This story is it's the journey, right, everybody has a different journey, and he's two connected at one point. But I did want them to be together in the Beautiful Beautiful, And he's so happy at the end of the movie. Also, so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I don't know that he's happy at the end of the movie.
Speaker 1: He had exactly what he wanted, you know what I mean. But he didn't want her back then either, Yes he did.
Speaker 2: You don't think his heart was breaking and she walks out of the club.
Speaker 1: No, he would have made it to the show. He would have made it to the show if he wanted her.
Speaker 2: No, when she walks out of the club after he would have made it.
Speaker 1: To the show. He would have told just a legend to kiss my fucking ass. I gotta go see my decision he needs way more important. That's the decision he made then. But years later, when she comes with her husband to the jazz show and Lee is about to leave and at the door has that fantasy and they make eye contact, I think he realizes that she's the one that got away, and he's so sad that she's walking on. I think they both realized what life could have been for them if they would have stayed together, and how happy they could have been. But I think when they look at each other, they're both in a really good space.
Speaker 2: I disagree. I think, do you guys have that interpretation of it?
Speaker 4: I like that it's kind of ambiguous. I've had It's nice to my father, rest.
Speaker 2: In peace, used to love a good end of Lalla Land debate, but I don't. Sorry, Joell, what's your interpretation? My interpretation was always that that they both melancholic.
Speaker 1: Okay, my interpretation used to be your interpretation. It did, but I've watched it a few times since he's really.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: Since I my thought initially was that he was sad but happy for her, and she was like, Wow, that would have been interesting if I stayed with him, But life turned out pretty sweet for me. She was good, like she seems like, in such a great place at the end, and he.
Speaker 2: I think Chazelle went out of his way to make that husband not exciting and not as sexy and not as interesting as Ryan's character was.
Speaker 1: Yes, but don't know anything about him.
Speaker 4: Here's a secret reveal to all.
Speaker 3: There is a ton of romance, and I really feel like there's a lot of a lot of romances end with Okay, I could have been with this exciting person, but they wouldn't have been the healthy person for me. So I went with this person who's more subdude, but who gets me and is very supportive and has made my life better, you know, And that's kind of the fame I got with him. Like, no, he's not as like hot and exciting and like fun as she had with Ryan, but he's stable and she was able to have.
Speaker 1: His character's name it is Sebastian.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, that's a Sebastian. I've really been there for her. He loves her, and because of that, she was able to have the career that she wanted.
Speaker 2: Daniel, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 5: I'm tempted to agree. I mean, you know, it's it's the sexy thing to want her to be with Ryan Gosling. It's the sexy thing to have that fiery sorry Sebastian Park to do a Sebastian. It's the dangerous thing. But that's not life. Sometimes that's not life.
Speaker 1: Have thought that would have been the worst thing ever if she was with him, if you really think about it, as self centered as he was as well, you know what I mean, Like she would have she needed somebody who's not going to be heartbreak.
Speaker 2: The way they look at each other at the end.
Speaker 4: O, thank so much, so so much what might have been between the two.
Speaker 2: I think that makes a better movie. It's too together. I don't want the I don't want the I don't want the ending to be any different. I'm just I love the ending. I think it's brilliant in that it gives the audience this discussion, and they can have this discussion this many years later. This, I just my personal interpretation is that they that there was a longing for what could have been.
Speaker 1: We could do how about this? How about this? Let's do the Notebook.
Speaker 2: At the end of the Notebook as well as I know Lala Lane, oh, you.
Speaker 1: Just do it like this. At the end of the movie the Notebook, she's with the dude that she you know, fell in love with on the lake, that, you know what I mean, instead of the other guy, right, the one that was the good guy right at the end. It's not like her life would have been that much different. I think she would have still now gone back to uh. She would have had a great life with him in the Notebook, she would had a great life with that guy. She would have had a great life with the Ryan Goslin character and this one in La La Lande. I feel like it's the same thing. She would have had a great life with this dude and she would have had a great like she's having a great life with the guy. There is no wrong answer at the end for her. For him, it's a fucking huge difference, bro. And that's why you're saying, I don't know if he's happy or not. The difference at the end is in his mind. Holy shit, we would have been I would have been jay z I would you know? To her Beyonce instead, I'm fucking underground backpack rapper. And who's still in the club.
Speaker 2: But he has club, he has his own jazz club. What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he don't got his own label. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And that's not my interpresion at all. I'm sorry, audience will stop.
Speaker 1: Some metation is the temptation? Listen?
Speaker 4: My point is you talk about La land.
Speaker 2: Oh really, this podcast? What if this potat just became one hundred percent each week we talk about No, I just I just on that he's got his own jazz club. He's happy. I'm sure he's like hooking up. I'm saying he's content with his career, his dreams come true. He owns the jazz club. But then the love of his life walks back in with her husband, and I always felt that he was crushed. Okay, Yeah, and then he dropped the ball by not going to Paris and by not going to her one woman show.
Speaker 1: He didn't he wasn't invited.
Speaker 2: Well, he fucked up by not going to the one woman show for sure. That's where he To be fair, I'm glad did not to sit through that woman show. It didn't look that great.
Speaker 6: Okay, she became a movie star because of it, right, But that doesn't mean a genius talented actress necessarily writes the best one woman show that you have to sit through for two hours and be like, it looks like you're having so much fun up there.
Speaker 2: To Pasadena or something like that. I don't know. All right back to we'll take a break and then we're going to finish our summary. We'll be right back after this. What you're trying to get into one day or shoe what you're trying to do?
Speaker 1: Advertisements and we're back, all right? Likes a little assfl They don't even act like you don't okay, I think there was a lot of ass play in this episode.
Speaker 2: How do you know there's ass play?
Speaker 1: I'm just guessing, Okay, I'm assuming, I'm assuming making an ass out of you and me.
Speaker 2: I'm okay. So Drew Cox says he's going to take a look. By the way, Beard fa Say still works at this hospital. I saw.
Speaker 1: I have to say, so of these people in the background are playing interns and they were interned when we were interns, So there's something wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, Beard fa Say is definitely a doctor, he's not an intern, and he's still.
Speaker 1: Well Sean is an intern and he was. And then what the fuck is Reggie in the purple Scrubs doing in the in the rounds?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe he decided to become a med student.
Speaker 1: But why does he still got the purple on?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It was probably like them not know the rules of the different scrubs colors episode one or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Boy, they're already crossing, They're already crossing the line.
Speaker 2: Cox takes an interest in Drew.
Speaker 1: And let's say why he takes an interest in Drew Cox does not. Cox likes to pick on the weaker ones, the weaker, the weaker, uh, insecure uh interns. Cox has always enjoyed picking on and he's doing it to Lucy carry Bhay's character. And Drew sees it and decides to jump in the way and be a shield for Lucy and be like a big brother to stop Cox's rage on her and turned the attention elsewhere because he's been in jail and he's you know, we learned that his backstory is that he dropped out of he dropped he flunked out or he.
Speaker 2: Like I think he had dropped out or flamed out, meaning just emotionally couldn't handle. Because there's a lot of references to how hard is the am Men student, and there's some there's some there's a couple of references to like, you guys aren't going to last and and and so he flamed out and then for some reason he was in jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something that he did.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we ever learned that. In these twelve episodes, we'll find out.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll see, But Joe seems to get a kick out of him.
Speaker 2: And then JD, as we said earlier, finally talks to Lucy. And that's kind of nice because he feels like he's a really bad teacher. He doesn't get invited out to party with them. They don't come to his beer party in the classroom. Only Turk shows up and JD has these glow stick necklaces to wear, and Turk won't even wear the glowstick necklaces.
Speaker 1: And then they go on to walk and the that's kind of off brand though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like Turk would have rock the glowstick necklace.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's him and JD. They're on about they're outside. I love that term, by the way, what yeah sad outside said like if you want to instead of what you're trying to get into, Yeah, you want to go outside.
Speaker 2: That's a term.
Speaker 1: That's the new. Remember when you was a kid and used to say that to people, Yo, you going outside? Uh huh, that's back. But for adults, we outside, Yo, we outside, Yo meet us outside, were coming out of we outside you And when you outside, you got you gotta be really outside. According to Beyonce, because if you're not that, you're not that outside, right.
Speaker 2: I'll start using that because I like what you're trying to get into.
Speaker 1: I need to. I still like what you're trying to get into.
Speaker 2: Don't get a twisted So when you when I text you to do something, you want me to say, do you want to go outside?
Speaker 1: I maan, if you could find a funny way to say it, you're.
Speaker 2: Trying to go outside?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I always think about you, and I'm like, if it just feels like you're not trying to get into.
Speaker 1: Anything, I'm not trying to r s v P.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't rs VP on my birthday.
Speaker 1: I'll be at your brunch. Bro. I'm fucking skipping Vegas to go to your brunch. Bro. Why were you going to guess my kid got made hoops basketball? I'm skipping that it to be at your brunch. Bro.
Speaker 2: He's gonna take them. He's not ask some other parents to take them.
Speaker 1: Man, come on now, really, parenting one O one, you can't.
Speaker 2: You can't have other parents that you trust.
Speaker 1: You sleepovers either.
Speaker 2: Sorry, guys, because of his nut allergy.
Speaker 1: That's one reason these motherfuckers I don't know. These motherfuckers they know that they know that they might know the kids. I don't know.
Speaker 2: These does want to have a.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you want to have if your kids want to sleep over here, that's cool. But there's no way I'm letting my kids sleep over your house. I'm sorry. I've even I've even I've even I've even designed my house so that if my kid wants to have friends over, it's fun for the kids when they get here and they can have fun.
Speaker 2: Have a question.
Speaker 1: She's not going nowhere, and she's not going nowhere to go. I'm sorry, very if there's a select few, there's a very select few, and you have to and my wife has either vetted, like.
Speaker 2: Straight up, man, vetting's important, you got a vat no.
Speaker 1: But even vetting, even vetting doesn't necessarily crack the service. Anybody could be anybody in an interview, you know what I mean, I could be somebody else. I'm i fucking somebody else in every interview that I go with.
Speaker 2: So your kids will never your kids will never be allowed to sleep at a friend's.
Speaker 1: House, not until they're much older.
Speaker 2: So those poor kids are like, I just want to go to a movie and sleep over my friend's house. No, go to a movie.
Speaker 1: No, you can go to a movie. I'll take you to a movie. If that's the case. I don't mind that shit. You're not sleeping over them. I'll be picking you up. There you go, all right, un everybody starts to go down. Guess who's coming to get you? What time you're going to bed? You don't know. I'll be there at eight thirty, nine thirty the latest.
Speaker 2: That's what's up. That's what's up. That, my friends, is what's up? So we Joel organized a debate between some fans. Hell, Joelle, how did this work out? What happened?
Speaker 3: So we asked you guys to send you your voicemails to scrupsiheart atgmail dot com, picking an episode and whether you loved it or you hated it. So we got a ton of emails, a handful of voicemails. If you want to send in for any future episodes, just make sure you put like which episode it is in the title. So we have one positive person in one who is not feeling season nine.
Speaker 2: All right, let me ask you a question before we continue. Were these people saying the whole season or specific episodes?
Speaker 3: I reach out to them and ask them to record specifically on season one episode one.
Speaker 1: So that's okay.
Speaker 2: So if you're going to something different, if you're gonna submit going forward, what we'd like you to do if you want to be on the air is pick a specific episode and put in the subject heading to Joel, this is about season nine episode four. Here's why I love it, Here's why I hate it. Maybe put season nine episode four love or season nine episode four hate, just to make it simple for Jewell, because she's a very busy woman, very smart, and and Carmen who helps us.
Speaker 1: Carmen, shout out Carmen.
Speaker 2: And what's the max time, Joell? Like three minutes.
Speaker 4: Maxe minutes max?
Speaker 2: Anyone audio audio?
Speaker 3: Okay, So this is for Scrubs season nine, episode one. We'll start with Aaron.
Speaker 4: She was not a fan.
Speaker 1: Oh Aaron, Okay, go ahead, Hey.
Speaker 8: Zach, Donald, Joel, and Daniel. My name is Aaron Fodorco and I'm calling on behalf.
Speaker 7: Of all season nine haters.
Speaker 8: Specifically, I'm going to talk about why I hated season nine episode one so much. It is the biggest tease of my entire life. To me, what made Scrubs so perfect was the fact that Jad was casted perfectly by Zach Raft. Thank you, and anyone who knows me knows I love Zach Brath. So season nine was an absolute keeyas because it gave me exactly what I wanted.
Speaker 7: From the start.
Speaker 8: I got an opening monologue about how he talks about Sacred Heart and his time there, and from that moment he has one of the funniest episodes I have seen from him in a long time.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: Some examples are the entire scene where JD and Turk are trying to find each other in the hospital and the eagle scene where they are running around the campus and they run into doctor Cox. But I think the funniest thing about this episode is when JD says to doctor Cox, stay open for business in your heart cage. That is probably the hardest I've laughed this entire season of Scrubs, and it is a shame that it was given to me in season nine, episode one. And finally, what made Scrubs work was the chemistry that was built between the core cast over eight seasons, and Bill Lawrence gave us exactly that in season nine, episode one. Scrubs is synonymous with JD, which is anonymous with Zach Brath and The only thing that season nine left me wanting more of.
Speaker 7: Was Zach Brath JD and Zach Brath in the same way that Christopher Walkin needed more Cowbo.
Speaker 8: I believe it even nine of Scrubs to have worked better, it had to have been named something completely different. And the only reason that I am able to forgive Bill Lawrence for Scrubs is that he created ted Lasso. Thank you, guys, Love you guys. This is absolutely amazing. Thank you for letting me talk my shit on season nine. I've been waiting a lifetime to do this.
Speaker 2: What's your name again, name Aaron? Thank you so much. Thank you for the very nice words about me and well said. I think she mentioned a couple things we mentioned, although she happened to love the moment when we did an eagle and you know what I think.
Speaker 1: I think this is probably one of the best ideas in a long time. And this is why if Star Wars did this, this would be great. People got to air out their fucking you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, grievances, you know what I mean, and not be.
Speaker 1: Penalized for it and not judged for it or whatever. You know what I mean. A young lady expressed everything she wanted to express. She has a very she's very fond of you, Zach, obviously. So I don't think the show would have worked. I don't think the show would have worked. Regard if you had, if you would have been in All six, I mean thirteen or twelve, I bet you she would have loved it. So I will say this is a great way. As long as you don't hurt nobody's feelings, I'm all for it. I'm sure. I'm sure there have people that said some shit like and this, I say something about this asshole and.
Speaker 2: Make Does this make you want to go? Do you wish now that you could go on a Star Wars podcast and say the grievances you have about something you don't like in Star Wars?
Speaker 1: Everybody knows my grievances. Fucking fucking Star Wars knows my grievances. I don't think I'm gonna ever do a Star Wars again.
Speaker 2: Because you think you've hurt someone's feelings.
Speaker 1: I might have hurt someone's feelings.
Speaker 2: Dave Feloney, do you think that, Davey No way. I've heard just like you say fuck your sound effects machine.
Speaker 1: Do you think no definitely feel like whoever was involved with the sequel trilogy might be like, I don't like like, I don't like Donald Faison anymore.
Speaker 2: You sure they love you. Although when we were at the Pineo, you did give love to Kathleen Kennedy's twin instead of her.
Speaker 1: That may have heard. And I was being fake too when I did it too, And I deserve that also, boy, and I was, and I deserve that.
Speaker 2: If you have an identical twin and you're hosting a giant premiere, I'm sure a lot of people are gonna get confused. She should wear a T shirt that says I'm not Kathleen Kennedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also I shouldn't have went up to Kathleen Kennedy and or who I thought was Kathleen Kennedy and lied my ass off on how much I enjoyed the movie because I really didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, now you're definitely not gonna be all right, Joell, Let's hear the person who loves Season nine, episode one, Dan, I'll take it away, got you? Here is here is Samantha?
Speaker 7: He y'all.
Speaker 9: My name is Samantha and I'm from North Carolina. Episode one of season nine is my favorite.
Speaker 7: Because it gives you a sense of normalcy. You have right off the bat, JD walking in doing his inner monologue thing.
Speaker 9: We have Elliott over here yelling at Med students in our high pitch, cute little voice, cute little pregnant belly Turk, he's.
Speaker 7: Being a silly old self.
Speaker 9: We've got doctor Cox with his egotistical, diabolical cutthroat itself telling these med students You're gonna kill somebody, and you still like. And then you got j D and Churk acting like we've not seen each other in what I'm guessing years, but they just carpolled to school together.
Speaker 7: But they're running to each other.
Speaker 9: And it's like a flashback in a sense from their honey like or Carla and Turks honeymoon, and I guess Judi and Turks honeymoon.
Speaker 1: We were together.
Speaker 9: But I also like the med students. You have Lucy, Drew and Cole. They all bring this weird little trio dynamic that you had with Elliott, Turk and JD. And it was kind of like a warming you up to a new thing. Also, like the fact that Joe was brought over. Joe was probably one of my absolute favorites in season eight, like she had this just dark self about her, and I feel like I have a dark side, like dark self, like dark humor, and I love that about her, Like she just cracks these dark jokes to kind of deal with things, and I feel like I do the same thing, so I basically connected with that.
Speaker 7: So her coming over was a nice adjustment as well. But honestly, my.
Speaker 9: Favorite part that still actually made everything still feel normal was when doctor Cox took on Drew.
Speaker 7: As his number one.
Speaker 9: And of course, you know how JD gets when Doctor Cox takes any interest in anybody else, he gets so jealous. And I absolutely love that shit, because it's either doctor Cox just likes to fuck with him about it or he just well, doctor Cox just knows who's going to be a good doctor and so he takes on that person, and and even j D knows that, but he still gets jealous because he never gets that affection from doctor Cox. I feel like it was just a great transition into season nine, And to be honest, I liked season nine.
Speaker 7: I'm probably gonna be one of the only ones that do.
Speaker 9: But I enjoyed the season, and I enjoyed this podcast, and I want to say thank you guys so much for this opportunity. Thank you Joe, Well and Donald and Zach. I love y'all so much. And hey, Daniel nice, I thought she was.
Speaker 2: Gonna skip you down, but you gotta shout.
Speaker 7: Out wonderful thank you again so much.
Speaker 2: Very sweet Samantha. Right, thank you Samantha very much, and go ahead, don.
Speaker 1: I You know, I once again think that this is something that a bunch of companies, and especially tentpole shows and movies should do. You should have the opportunity to as long as you don't hurt anybody's feelings, the positive and the negative, what works and what doesn't work, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: That achould be an interesting way to review a movie because it's like what Ciskel and Ebert used to do. You know, remember that great show where they would like pash it out sometimes because now now things are just rotten tomatoes. I was listening to Samantha, and I'm thinking, like I would love to hear like people do it like I mean a pro and con of the film, Like let me hear the person who loved it and then the person who didn't like it. And there are reasons like as opposed to just like someone's blanket statement. That was interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as long as you don't disrespect anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and be respectful as both of those as both of those women were respectful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what's up.
Speaker 2: Well, No, I did I think in the in the macro when I zoom out, I did not dislike it as much as I thought I was going to.
Speaker 1: I will agree with you.
Speaker 2: The leads are clearly charming. I mean, not us, The new leads are clearly charming people. And was written by Bill Lawrence. It was directed by Michael Spiller, who's a wonderful director. And there's it. That is episode one of season nine. Everybody donald is going.
Speaker 1: To be interesting. This is going to be interesting because you know, you get it, I get it. The gripe is what a difference in name makes. You know what I mean by naming it Scrubs, everybody has beef. I really do believe that if it wasn't called Scrubs and it was a spin off of Scrubs and intended to be a spinoff of Scrubs, like if it looked like a spin off book, you know what I mean, it would be way more successful and people would have gravitated towards It was because I laughed, right, I laughed because I laughed a couple of times out loud. And there are Scrubs episodes where I didn't laugh at all and you laugh it.
Speaker 2: Did you laugh at stay open for business? In your heart?
Speaker 1: Came dude? I laughed at us. I'm not gonna lie. I laughed at the guy love shit and me knocking dude over.
Speaker 2: I laughed at your face is so funny.
Speaker 1: The determination to hug you. I did not laugh at the prison line, but I laughed at everything else. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You know it's good. One thing I thought as we were listening to these women's opinions was like, this exercise might be informative if and when we do a Scrubs reunion, like to help us not fall in well a bill, but us as well, to not fall into pitfalls. You know, how can we make that something new and fresh and different while still giving the audience something they want, which is seeing everyone and all the characters and where they are these days.
Speaker 1: The other question is do you bring back the people from med school? No? No, but they're all huge stars now, all of them. All of them are big stars Sarry Dave. We'll see we're gonna introduce We're gonna introduce a couple of other characters.
Speaker 2: I love that Rob Maschio makes a little cameo with.
Speaker 1: Credits.
Speaker 2: Rob will definitely be in the in the new incarnation.
Speaker 1: I would love to see.
Speaker 2: He's gonna have to get in shape. I don't think he's got that body currently.
Speaker 1: He looks pretty good in the pictures.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying. I'm just saying that I think Rob would be the first to say, if you want me in the banana hammock, I need to go to the gym.
Speaker 1: No, because the banana hammock is going to be full. No, if this it matters right, It's not about it's not about the physique.
Speaker 2: We know that he's we know that, we know that he's got a third leg. We made about a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of a story.
Speaker 6: Should know.
Speaker 2: So Gadder round you here, up, Gadder round you here.
Speaker 1: Up.
Speaker 10: Screetcha mi ando mm hmm