Speaker 1: Hello puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the Dollop of Wild Honey in your throat coating puzzle Lozenge. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and we are live at the on Air Fest in Historic Brooklyn. Thank you. We are here in the iHeart Theater. I don't know if it's permanently iHeart, but it is for tonight, the iHeart Theater, and I am here with our guests, the writer, culinary pioneer, host of the sport Full podcast, The Amazing Dan Pashman. Thank you, Dan, Hello Aj Lob Greg, and we are also joined by Chief Puzzle Officer Greg Puliska.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm glad I want to win some pasta this time.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm still here. Dan.
Speaker 3: Are you a fan of charades? Yes, big fan. Excellent.
Speaker 1: Are not going to do chares because it's a podcast and we found listeners do not like silent clues. However, we are going to play a version of charades. It's called literary charades. It's actually the original charades before they did acted charades, and what they did was they would do poems or writing where they clue each syllable or part of a word and this was popular in seventeen hundreds France. Jane Austen wrote some charades. So I'll give you an example. The first part is a word that comes after taxi, So taxi blank might be you can say it another word for a synonym of taxi in the synonym of taxi synonym of taxi cab cab right, and then add to that what a sheriff wears on his chest badge.
Speaker 3: So put those together. Cabbage, cab, cabbage.
Speaker 1: Cabbage exactly, exactly the type of food I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: There's a pasta in the book Kimchi, my new cookbook that episode today where you have her on and I was like, now I'm really starving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got kimchi, carbonaro and Kimchia. Greca is act your precursor to carbonara, which is guanchalle pecorino, romano cheese, black pepper, but no egg.
Speaker 2: I've got to go get some.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Griica actually gave birth to carbonara, and I'm a i'm Achiana is Grecia with tomato sauce added. Carbonara is Grecia with egg added, and we do a m Carbonara and kima in the book.
Speaker 3: I feel we gotta get back to the focus. We gotta.
Speaker 4: Talk about pasta.
Speaker 3: You got me going, I feel like you say the word pasta.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: I'm just say I'm running this puzzle.
Speaker 3: This puzzle is not about pasta, but each clue can be related to pasta.
Speaker 1: Yes, you will always find a link. So all of these are going to be food types of food. Now I would ask please refrain from saying the whole thing until the final clue. Just answer the different parts and then at the end you'll say the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Are you ready, I'm ready?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: This is a three parter, so it's got three clues. Something you use to write on a blackboard.
Speaker 2: Chalk chalk.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, this is uh. Books aimed at women are sometimes condescendingly called chick blank lit.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you got chalk, you got lit. And this is the type of animal that Bullwinkle was or is he lives?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'll never die.
Speaker 1: He was a moose, all right, now put it together. Chocolate moose, chocolate moose.
Speaker 4: Who all right?
Speaker 3: I didn't even say choc lit moose. He just went straight to it. All right.
Speaker 1: How about this one? When you've had enough dinner. You might say, I've had my blank, Phil, Phil, you're getting some help from the audience. They just cannot resist.
Speaker 3: Foukner wrote a book called.
Speaker 1: As I Blank Dying Lay Lay and this is the Yellow A yellow creature and despicable me might be called a a minion. Okay, put them together, Phil lay Mignon, Phil lay Mignon.
Speaker 4: Very good. All right.
Speaker 1: He doesn't even go to the middle where he goes, Phil lay minion. He just goes straight. All right, here's four core clues. But I think you're ready for it.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, all right. This is what you do outside the box that I was just talking about in the intro.
Speaker 1: If you are creative, uh think, yes, this is what appears on a sport if you leave it out in the rain.
Speaker 3: Water well true, true, that is true.
Speaker 2: Then later.
Speaker 3: Or any metal in water.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was picturing a plastic sport. That's why.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Rust yes, okay, okay, so you got think you got rust for Blank's sake.
Speaker 3: For Blank's sake, pizza, yep, pizte. Nice.
Speaker 1: What you say to the doctor when he wants to look in the mouth? Ah, all right, not put him together? Think cross think, yes, that's it. Alright, thin crust pizza, thin crust pizza. All right, all right, just one or two more? How about hammerhead blank? Oh this is a three parter, three part hammerhead blank, shark right, adorable or away?
Speaker 3: They meet in movies.
Speaker 4: Meet wait, cute?
Speaker 2: Cute?
Speaker 3: Okay, exactly? And what about a word before canal canal?
Speaker 4: Panama?
Speaker 3: True cute, Panama perfect? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: All right, now put together?
Speaker 4: What was the first one?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 4: I wasn't think it was shark cuteierie shark coterie.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love that, and I love that you took all right? How about all right? Well, it's good.
Speaker 4: It's good it was your because I don't know a third canal cod canal?
Speaker 2: Actually, I guess cute, a whole other dish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want it. You can't eat it, but you can look it looks great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you Dan. That was fantastic. Where can people hear or read more of your work?
Speaker 4: So the sport Full podcast available where you get your podcast? My Castellypasta Shape is available and a lot of stores around the country. You can also just order it online to your door from Spolini sfog l I n I and my new book Anything's possible eighty one inventive posta Recipes for Saucy People is available hoerever books are sold. It's a lot of non traditional and very obscure postag issues. There's not a single recipe from Marinara sauce or a plain old meat sauce. None of the recipes that you've seen a million times before.
Speaker 1: Love it And in fact, I think we agreed we're gonna give away one as a prize to a listener. So if you get this extra credit, send it to the Puzzler dot com and we will pick a winner randomly and send them the book. All right, so this is your extra credit. People, Are you ready? This is a three part free three parter. This is a product. First part a product made by maiden Form. Second part a dog breed border blank border blank, and third part football player blank grandkowski drunk.
Speaker 3: Okay, do it? You can sound it out right after I see some clay. Yes, thank you for the hands in the air.
Speaker 1: And in the meantime, everybody, please don't forget to subscribe. Maybe rate us. I recommend five stars. That's the easiest. Your finger justis goes there and we'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly. Wow.
Speaker 2: Hello Puzzlers. Chief Puzzle Officer Greg Pliska here with the extra credit answer from our previous show. We played a pasta game with Dan Pashman in which every answer was a two word rhyming phrase, with one of the words a kind of pasta. Your extra credit clue was this soft dough dumplings eaten by the Norse god of mischief, and of course that is Loki nyolki. Sounds delicious. See you here next time.