Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Bruce, and thank you so much for pulling up a chair today on Table for two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can start. You can record from my entrance.
Speaker 3: We do, OK.
Speaker 1: We were like, it's just gotta say I've been really good today. I went to the gym, I had my green juice, I did my cold plunge, I did a long intermittent fast all because we're having lunch today with mister Matt Bomer, who is one of the most beautiful men in Hollywood, both inside and out.
Speaker 2: This is the dreamiest man one I could out for.
Speaker 1: He's having an incredible moment in his career. He's been nominated for a Golden Globe, He's been nominated for.
Speaker 3: A Screen Actors Guild Award.
Speaker 1: He's currently you can find him on Fellow Travelers, on Paramount Plus and in the movie Maestro with Bradley Cooper.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to do the kale salad and I'm to add some add some chicken to it. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: So sit back, grab a salad, be healthy, and enjoy.
Speaker 3: I'm Bruce Bosi and this is my podcast Table for two.
Speaker 1: So everybody, if you've pulled up a chair, today, I'm sitting with, as I said earlier when you weren't in the room, one of the not one, the most handsome man in Hollywood, one of the most talented men in Hollywood, a very dear friend of mine, mister Matt Bomer.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to the table for two. I mean, thank you for that introduction. I'm going to slip you, slip you a couple of twenties under the table. Hold that thank you and you.
Speaker 1: Just said too, and congratulations today the Screen Actor.
Speaker 2: Guild Award nomination. Oh my gosh. This, yeah, this one means a lot to me. It really does. Peers. I you know this about me, and anyone who knows me knows this. I love actors, Yes, I really do. I love them all. I even sit it on social media. But I love the salty ones too, you know. I love the complicated ones too, And it's nice to feel that from your community, right. Yeah, it's a dream. I didn't feel like an actor until I was part of a union and I was able to get insurance and finally fix my tooth that have been aching for a year, you know, and that's sent to work done and all those things, you know. I mean, I felt like an actor, but I didn't. I think there was legitimacy to it. When I thought, oh, I can really make a living doing this and sustain to take care of myself and yeah, do all that stuff.
Speaker 1: And you say, you know, I've read and I know you. You know, when you hit New York, your family said, okay, kid, like.
Speaker 3: You're on your own. Do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like no, they weren't paying that in tribes brand just to get it.
Speaker 3: Was like, you're on your own.
Speaker 2: I was on my own.
Speaker 3: It's really important.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have to give it. It's a testament to my parents. I was fortunate enough that I got a little bit of financial assistance to go to college and then my parents foot the rest of the bill, and that I'm eternally indebted to them for that because I was fortunate to get out of college without student debt. Right, it's a big deal. It's a big deal. It's a big deal. But yeah, once I got to New York.
Speaker 1: Here, you're like, all of a sudden, the non student debt, you're just in debt because it just sucks cash right out of you.
Speaker 2: I were two jobs to split a one bedroom apartment to live in the city you did, and and not and now a very desirable place, a place that's prohibitably expensive, but at the time was not.
Speaker 3: Is that interesting?
Speaker 1: It's like impossible now but it took two jobs plus yeah, you obviously having to go out on auditions. Yeah, but before I just also want to say to everybody who's listening, and to you specifically, congratulations on the Globe nomination.
Speaker 3: Travelers was amazing.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's like I told you I twice second time, even with just more powerful than the first. That hit me hard because you know, not only being able to see the representation of two men who fell in love and seeing the sexualization of it, which is not often been depicted as and to see the relationship.
Speaker 3: If you go back to the New York piece, and you were walking into.
Speaker 1: A room and you know, and you had, for lack of a better world, a secret, like you know, you just knew something about yourself that you just had to sort of put aside.
Speaker 3: Going into a room to an audition at a.
Speaker 1: Time when that would have that gotten the way, you know, how did that feel versus how does it? How does it feel now when you as you've become kind of I hate to even say the word like the the embodiment of what it's like to be a leading man, to be able to just be you.
Speaker 2: That's very nice for you to say. I don't know that. I felt at the beginning of my career that I was even keeping a secret because there's no PubL narrative about you. You're first starting out.
Speaker 3: What would you like coffee launch?
Speaker 2: I love a coffee for now. Yeah, I think I'll do some oat milk. Thank you so much. Cool haircut about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're talking about a mullet verse. It's just longer. This is much more refined.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I don't know Kerry Mulligan, who I adore. She did a haircut for this guy on the Jimmy Kimmel Show. I don't know if you saw it or not, but it looked very similar to what you have going on, and I actually loved it. I thought she's kind of brilliant work.
Speaker 3: I have to say, you're the king of mullets.
Speaker 2: Tell your name again at nice time.
Speaker 3: Rick Eric's mullet gets a lot of attention during this show. It's running.
Speaker 2: It's a running bit. Yeah it's good.
Speaker 3: Okay, so oh you say that, but.
Speaker 2: You, so, yeah, you know, I didn't really feel like Yeah, of course, on some level you feel like you're holding a secret, but there was There wasn't anyone who cares to know anything about me. I was just a guy trying to get a job. And in many ways I still feel the same, you know, really well, yeah, I just think, you know, ultimately, you're just an actor or trying to get a job, and if you're fortunate enough to have a little bit of autonomy or choice, then and the right project comes along that you can give voice too. That's great, you know, you said. And what does it feel like now? I think one of the big differences now is that back then, I don't think I would have even gotten to audition for a role like Fellow Travelers. I think it probably would have just gone to a straight actor, right, I think, and you know, they would have done a great job with it. But it's in terms of opportunity, I don't know that I would have even had a chance to be at the table. Now. A lot of that's a testament to run Nice Wanner Robbie Rogers and wanting to bring that sort of authenticity in the storytelling to this piece.
Speaker 1: Do you say that in context, you wouldn't have been at the table if you were openly gay versus not or at a point of just you know no.
Speaker 2: So this is kind of a nuanced answer because what I'm it's not even about famously. I just think that that role wouldn't have been open to auditions, and if it were offered to somebody, it probably at that time would have been offered to a straight actor, right.
Speaker 3: You know, because you know the whole.
Speaker 2: Could have easily been today. You know, you think I.
Speaker 1: Do, well, I mean I guess because I mean I think, like if you just rewind not so long ago, when like something and we've referenced milk with Sean Pagne, who we reference broke Back with Heath and with Jake, and you have like actors that are not gay that are playing these parts, and you've experienced this as any gay actor has, like oh when you get the part, or like oh he's gay, Okay, you know what, I don't think we're gonna go there if or or.
Speaker 2: We'll do one of the characters gay but the other guy has to be straight exactly whatever. Look, these are all versions that work. All those actors gave their hearts and souls and minds to these stories at look at the incredible LGBTQ stories being bit or projects that have been produced and made and done so with love and respect by so many people across the spectrum. Whether it's people drinking people's bathwater or pushing the civil rights movement forward, it's been wherever you fall on that spectrum, it's been kind of an amazing year, told by all different kinds of people. And I think that's great. I think that. And actors are actors. We should play roles, you know, And so what I think is nice is that there are opportunities. Now, I think opportunity is the real word that you know, it's at least you get a shot to be in the room and audition or fight for the role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think getting their role. And well, I mean as as a.
Speaker 1: Person who grew up at a time when you know there was no representation or no the only people you saw on television that kind of felt or looked like you were.
Speaker 2: Just say, am I supposed to focused on anything other than Eric Smellett.
Speaker 3: Now Today is about Eric law Today on Table.
Speaker 2: This episode brought to you by Eric's Matt and Eric Kentucky, Kentucky business in front, but it's a party in back, y'all.
Speaker 3: So tell me about your year. You went to Carnegie Mellon, which I.
Speaker 1: Did interesting because you also went with bevy of actors that are all that your friends that had success or having successful crews.
Speaker 3: What was Carnegie Mellon like for you?
Speaker 1: And in regard to like what did you really lean into, like the theater, the plays, like what were you?
Speaker 2: I was so excited to be there and just have It was a total reset for me in so many ways. And I didn't have I'd already worked professionally as an actor on stage. You had. Yeah, Well, my very first job, which I don't even know if I've ever talked about it in presses, I was a background artist in a Chuck Norris movie that shot in Houston when I was thirteen or twelve, twelve or thirteen, I swear to God now that you did you Yeah, it was in downtown Houston. There was this period where I was doing forensics in middle school and doing these tournaments and things and doing well at those, And so my friend's mom and some of our friends parents, what forensics is like? I would do like a ten minute humorous piece or a dramatic piece or duet acting piece or okay, yeah we're doing forensic files. Yeah you do, studying cadavers and being judged on how well we assessed what had transpired. It does it's it's a weird. It's a weird sharing shared name, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Title anyway, So we had My parents could care less. I remember asking them for headshots and basically like laughed and I'm like, what are you talking about? Get out of here, go play outside, which I'm glad they did. But I had some friends parents who like let me tag along when their kids. So I went and I accompanied my friend to the Mickey Mouse Club audition. I didn't even I just went with her and I was like, I'll try this too, and I was such a jerk. I sang the same song. I was not prepared at all because I didn't even know what was going on. My friend was like ready to go, and I sang the same song the person in front of me sang because I didn't know what else to sing. And the song it was Eternal Flame by the Bengals. Okay, wow, yeah, I think I was twelve eleven maybe, and I ended up getting really close. And I remember the the casting director from Mickey. This is the same year that like Gosling and timber Lake Brittany Christina as people cast and I remember him calling my house and saying, you know, we're thinking about you out here to test for this, but you have to come to Florida, like would your parents come with you? And we were sitting at a dinner table and I was like, hey, mom, would you come with me to They're like, I don't know what are you talking. Come back and eat dinner. And I think the cast directors like, yeah, all right, peace. Not to say that I would have gotten it anyway, because I was nowhere prepared for that opportunity, but.
Speaker 1: Well it sounds like, you know, they saw something and you clearly sound thing.
Speaker 2: But so another one of the gigs that we did is we went there was a movie called Sidekicks with Chuck Norris and the late Jonathan Brandis May he Rest in peace? Who who They were filming in Houston and you could go and be a background artist of this big karate tournament that was kind of the finale of the movement. So we did every day and I got to meet Chuck Norris and uh yeah, that was my first gig. But then I did a play when I was right when I turned eighteen on stage my senior year at the Alley Theater in Houston. We did a street carnae Desire, and so I had some stage experience, but I had no formal training. This is a really long answered.
Speaker 3: I'm fascinated.
Speaker 2: So I was excited to just have some sense of a technique or some way of approaching the work that wasn't just intuitive or just happy, go lucky, you know. And so I was really excited to dig in. And it was a different program at the time it was it was every class is obviously very different. There were some hyper competitive classes. Ours was a pretty loving class. I have to say, we're all still really good friends. I have a text thread with all my classmates. But there was a cut program back then, and I think we started with twenty people in my class and ended with nine.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So you'd come back after the holiday and be like after the holiday, like after Chris, X, Y and Z is not back, did you hear? And you'd have to have these meetings with the faculty. This has all been taken away now, by the way, because it was, you know, sort of branded, you know as the little too cruel for school. Yeah, and you'd meet with the faculty and you'd have to sit in front of that and be in every single one of them would talk about how you did in a voice and speech, how you didn't singing, how you did a movement, how you did enacting, and sort of assess you in front of like a jury basically.
Speaker 1: So that like makes me think of an eat you have to eat, Matt needs nourishment.
Speaker 2: Is it okay that I'm just chewing a microphone?
Speaker 3: This is tabable to real lunch. Some people are like, you know.
Speaker 2: What's it called? What's it called? When you do the tune? And people like the sound of it, what's it called? Like ASMR, this is a very special ASMR episode.
Speaker 3: I do that sometimes.
Speaker 2: I think, brought to you by Kentucky Waterfalls.
Speaker 3: How many times we're going to be able to say Kentucky Waterfalls.
Speaker 1: You bring up something that is I hear, which is like kind of horrible that this was, but kind of setting people up for the nature of your business of just rejection. Yeah, I mean that is really a brutal like what it be basically September through December, you did a play, you did this, and then you just weren't good enough.
Speaker 3: And no, it wasn't it really that.
Speaker 2: It was more about what was your work ethic like because you weren't allowed to be a part of Greek life. It was your sole focus was to be a part of this conservatory, right, And so we were in class and when you're freshman and sophomore, you're building the sets, you're building the costumes, you're running the lights, you're doing all the crew work for the junior and senior shows, which I think is a great thing too. I mean that really was a great entree into the creative process ensemble aspect. But yeah, it's more about, Okay, can you handle forty fifty hours of class a week and also all the rehearsals on top of that, and then doing crew at night and going from one class and doing a Shakespeare monologue and going to another class and doing a restoration piece, then going to another class doing it temporary. Do you have the work ethic, do you have the can you take direction? Do you work well with other people? It was more sometimes about those things. And by the way, a lot of the people who got cut have gone on to have great careers. So I don't know that it was you know, oftentimes it was a very subjective analysis from a very specific faculty.
Speaker 1: But what's so cool about it is it's such a moment in your life that you never have again, and to be able to do all of that and you don't even know really why you're in it, Like this is so special because once you get out of there and you're in the real world and you're hustling and you have two jobs and you live in a one bedroom apartment, it's like, that's done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, and that's and you got permission to fall on your face, yeah, and learn how to fail and find a rehearsal process where it was okay to fail, and to figure out how to connect to something emotionally for the first time, and you're doing it in front of a group of twenty people, it's the bond. And so if you can do that, when all of a sudden you're on set and someone's like, hey, we don't have time to rehearse this. I know it's a big emotional scene. We're probably only get one take before that we lose the sunset. So I'm so sorry about this. Let's just go for it. Everybody roll camera like it just makes it a little bit. It's not it's not the same thing, but it's warmed you up to that kind of preparation.
Speaker 3: That's a big deal. Thanks for pulling up a share today.
Speaker 1: On Table for two before the break, Matt was telling us about his time at Carnegie Mellon. However, unlike those actors who moved to LA right away, Matt started out his career in New York. And I'm curious about those early days pounding the pavement in Manhattan.
Speaker 3: To leave school.
Speaker 1: You come to New York, you know, you've said just you know your training on the shoaps, and everyone who's ever been on a shop says the training is just.
Speaker 3: You can't beat it. It's like you just really get used.
Speaker 1: To learning lines, fast, shifting, changing, and you know, kind of sets you up a foundation your New York years versus the LA years. Because what brought you to LA?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, Well, going back a little bit before I came to New York, I did right after as I was kind of finishing school. I got Sundance Theater Lab, which is kind of you know, the film lab where they work with new directors like Quinton Tarantino, a lot of big directors that come out of that, and they give them the chance to workshop their new material with actors in Sundance at Sundance Sunday, and they do the saying that with theater right, yeah, so uh in and that yes exactly. And so here I was, I just got and I was doing I was working with Craig Lucas and Miss Kaufman and all this, and I was doing the very first workshop of Spring Awakening Duncan Chic, where it was so robbed. He was like still figuring out what court it was on the guitar. And I was meeting all these idols who had just done their work when I was in school. Craig Lucas, I had done a scene of his to get an agent.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And so it was a really studio.
Speaker 3: Great audition for that to get that.
Speaker 2: Casting director came to our school and I did a monologue and I sang for her, and she said, I used to be a singer. I wouldn't call myself a singer anymore, not a real singer, but not in eight shows a week like that would take me about a year to get back there.
Speaker 3: But you do it.
Speaker 2: But but she brought me in when I was in New York and I auditioned, and then from that, I also got an audition for a musical called Thoroughly Modern Millie, and then I got it had the same director both projects, and so I got a job offer for that project as well, and so that brought me to New York. That ended up nine to eleven happened, So we lost the Broadway house. I told the story a lot.
Speaker 3: Oh my gods, I had I would have been, I.
Speaker 2: Would have been on Broadway. First. I was a cover. I wasn't the lead.
Speaker 3: I was a cover.
Speaker 2: But I was also just out of school and it would have been such a different path. But so I was while I was waiting on that house, like we're there waiting for the right house to open up. Nine to eleven happened. I lost my day job and I ended up getting an audition for a soap, which is not like a future I had really envisioned for myself coming out of theater school. But I was like, whatever, let's go, and it was the best thing that ever could have happened to me. It was such a great years. A year, it was like a year and a half and I was terrified to be on camera. I would do anything on stage at that point. I was like, you know, primed for anything after Conservatory, but I hadn't done I'd never really been on camera.
Speaker 1: See, I think, you know, one of the biggest mistakes people make, especially when they're young and they're leading person material, they you know, shoot out to LA to try to be like on like the nine oh two one zero. Let's say I'm referring to my generation at that time, you know, as opposed to building the foundation of really the acting skill, because you'll get there if you got it. So like you doing that in Carnegie Mellon and then coming to New York and then everything happens for a reason. Yeah, to then find yourself so leaving the theater world forcing yourself to get a gig on the TV world. That teaches you the camera tech. Yeah, the camera acting, which is very different. How because like what's different if you can explain the different nuances between theater acting, TV acting and movie acting, because you kind of you know, you're you're like hit them all baby, because like the movie camera, I mean, the screen is so big and I'm not gonna let not say something here because you know, if you haven't seen ma Stroke, how you act with your eyes and your smile.
Speaker 3: You're very good in this movie.
Speaker 1: And there's a moment where Leonard Bernstein comes up to you with the woman that he's with, Alicia Felicia, and you, unprepared have to be gracious and welcoming and kind and everything that is being read from your face.
Speaker 3: Is pain and love and it was.
Speaker 1: It's really was a beautiful thing to do. So that to me is like incredible, thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much, thank you. That's very kind of you to say. I think we were all very fortunate to be in Bradley's hands. I think he brings out the best and everybody and sees what you want to bring in, tries to bring that out in you. But you know, I used to think there was this massive discrepancy between the two. I really did, And the more and more I'm working at the less I feel that discrepancy. Obviously, there are different aspects of your such an actory thing to say, but your instrument that you have to use when you're on stage because the people if it's a you know, fifteen hundred seat house, the people in the back row have to hear you, and depending on how your might you have to take all that into consideration. But in terms of connecting with the other actors and being present with them and trying to find something that's true to what you've rehearsed, but also that's alive in that moment, it's it's not terribly different than what's being unfilmed. Okay II In sumar ards, I always think too, there are some amazing things that can happen on stage that I don't think can happen in any other medium, because it's almost like it's the closest to that kind of collective tribal experience that that theater came out of of, like the guy around the fire and the cave talking about how the hunt went that day. You have that one audience for that one period of time, and it will never be exactly the same examen. So there's something that's so unique about every different show that is just incredible to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because also I would imagine because anything can happen within those two hours that might whether it's a mistake, a drop a line, just a nuance of something a delivered line that you're going to respond and.
Speaker 2: Different actors work differently too. Some people really like to do the same thing every night, so have to learn how to do that work with that as well. And obviously you don't also don't want to go start doing cartwheels. H never heard that because then everything could go disastrously wrong.
Speaker 1: Now you're doing now he's doing, car So you know, I asked Sarah Jessica Parker on the show last season the you know when at what point? You know, when she was getting ready to shoot for Sex in the City and just like that did Carrie? Was there something that she did that all of a sudden Carrie Bradshaw was there because I had read earlier with Marilyn Monroe when she was walking down the stairs with Susan Strasbourg and all these press and she turns to Susan and says, are you ready? Do you want to see her? And as she walks down the stairs, it's like she shifts her whole thing and she greets it.
Speaker 2: And they do that in my week with Marylyn.
Speaker 3: I think that they did so, And Sir Jessica said, you know, you get ready.
Speaker 1: Some days it could be twenty two degrees out, you're outside, you know, you take you down jacket off, you have the poofy skirt on.
Speaker 2: She straps on us Manolo.
Speaker 3: Or you know, now that's Jessica Collectibles.
Speaker 1: And you say, she said, when the word action action Carrie came alive because she was like, because I didn't know, I couldn't tell you who Carrie was going to be at that moment, Carrie was going to be happy, said like, I didn't know, And I thought that was also interesting.
Speaker 2: It's a really exciting way to work.
Speaker 3: Right to your craft. So you know you got you guys. Did you know you did the revival of Boys in the band Billy Freaking who we Love? Who directed the movie making recipes? Joe Mantello.
Speaker 1: I remember going to the rehearsal and watching you guys do it, and I was so nervous watching you guys like here in La but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, it was when we were really on the stage. Yes, it was just like freaking Yes, Joe is like, what is wrong with you? I'm like, it is intense. I was freaked out too.
Speaker 1: So you do this show and you're amazing in it, and the cast is amazing in it, and I just feel like wow, and Joe is such a great director. And then you also then bring it to the screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what same cast with the same director r which is kind of unheard of.
Speaker 3: Crazy. Was there a difference in the character or the development, or in.
Speaker 1: The process of because now it's not that hour and a half show that's live that all of a sudden, you know, somebody does you're like doing the take.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the real challenge in that regard was giving yourself permission in a new medium to not just rely on what you knew worked on stage, not just to rely what you knew would get a laugh on stage right as you've done it one hundred and fifty times or whatever it was. But I think it was less than that. But but to keep exploring and keep find new things, and then Joe could get in and fine tune certain moments, just one moment in particular, because the play ends with this sort of me holding Jim Parson's character in this piazza, and we used had this whole meltdown and my characters trying to comfort him, and on stage it could be any number of ways. Wherever we were that night is just wherever we were that night, right, Sometimes wherever we were that night depending on what had just happened. The hour and a half before.
Speaker 5: And how vicious it got or how crazy it got, or which must mean also like how you enter the room that day, like what was your day, like what was the audience's daylight? What's all the energy that's got into the room collectively that you then go out and do this thing.
Speaker 3: It's just going to be different when.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's one thing I've learned more and more about the work. Not that this is so no one wants to hear this, but to rather than trying to drown things out and make it what you want it to be, to bring everything into what's happening right then and there. You know, it's like this in your day to the work and if we're doing a scene, rather than you know, making X person feel or look like, I want to use what he's actually doing, what's going on in his eye, what happened to his hair that day, or whatever, like really use that.
Speaker 3: Which makes it must that makes it interesting.
Speaker 2: Way that something I remember I was watching a rough cut of my astro with Bradley, and the biggest might have been the biggest lesson I learned from him on this film. I can't believe I'm giving it away for free on your podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Well it's me, but it's just us.
Speaker 2: And he said to me, in the scene he tripped as he was going up the stairs, I don't even know if the scenes in the movie anymore. And I said and something about him doing that. It was in an early scene in the movie at the time, and it just as an audience, Remember, I relaxed because it took a sense of preciousness out of it, because something real and human and in the moment and a live happened in that scene. And I said, were there takes where you didn't trip? And do you care that you tripped or whatever? And he was like, oh, no, I'm hoping that I trip because then something's gonna happen. That's real, right, And I think you know it doesn't happen every take. It doesn't happen every scene, but no, you're always hoping for that. If you've been doing it for a while, that's kind of the moment you're hoping for. Even on stage, that can be what is the most electric if you seem like Mary Leise Parker do a play and you get that sense that like it's never the same.
Speaker 3: Even in her like right, it's just whatever is going on, and it's.
Speaker 2: Electric to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome back to Table for two. Matt's big screen debut was in two thousand and fives The Flight Plan with Jody Foster. Someone who has always loved and been in awe of Jody Foster, I'm curious what it was like to work with such an iconic actor. You know, I am obsessed for years with Jody Foster. I mean, I'm just saying, and you know, she is of my generation, and I just and she and Nayan, I just I was like, Wow, how good are the two of them? And Nia They're incredible. They're incredible.
Speaker 2: I told them both. I want them. I want to see them take it on the road. I want to see those two characters in everything.
Speaker 3: Everything tell me about what I'm working with.
Speaker 2: Beautiful lesbian friendship, not even that beautiful friendship between these women both stunningly beautiful, but have not given themselves over to vanity in a way takes you out of the story, you.
Speaker 3: Know, not at all. It's like, there's so yeah, and they're such Joy.
Speaker 2: Is one of the most beautiful humans to ever exist, I mean.
Speaker 3: Completely, you know.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting to me because in the early nineties, sort of being in la there was just a little bit of a world. She's obviously a very private person and she so I know a couple of people that were close in her circle but did not know her but would see her occasionally.
Speaker 3: And how much the world has changed for being.
Speaker 1: Able to share you know, her life and you worked with her, And when you work with someone like that, how did how do you at that point in your career and age like walk onto a set and be like like I'm about.
Speaker 2: To Oh, I was dying right, dying. It was because it was the first film I ever did ail yeah, holy can and I didn't have a ton to do in it, but it all took place on an airplane, right, so we all had to be there all the time. And you just never knew what this director when you were going to be in a shot and it was going to feature you, when you're going to have a lot line, you know, whenever it was he would just call audibles. Robert Schwuink got a great director and Jody was so it was like the nice boon of the job was that the director of said you can sit in on all the rehearsals with Jody Foster and Peter Sarsguard and watch Sean Bean, watch how they work, watch what their process is like, and watch them on set. And I was like, wait, I'm getting paid to have a masterclass, right, let's go. So And one of the things I learned the most about Jody was just how to handle yourself on a set. She is a consummate professional. She knows the whole cruise name, she knows the whole cast name. And that was a big cast, it was a big movie. And she just was so gracious and kind. And Jody is somebody that wherever my career was after that, if I saw in public, she would treat me the same, like a human. And I think, I look at someone like her, I look at someone like Jason Bateman, and I think one of the hardest things to do is to come up in this industry, Drew Barrymore, and to come out the other end of it a healthy, saying human being, because there's just so many trappings along the way. And Jody is the height of sanity in this industry, the height of humanity in this industries. So what she's achieved and what she has maintained for herself is so commendable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like we went to the Hollywood Bowl and unbeknownst to me, we were in a box with Jody and her wife several months ago, and it was I almost couldn't talk because of the effect that her work had at the time when I was in my twenties, and you know, I mean, I think Jody's like two or three years older than me, so we're really I just felt.
Speaker 2: Like, Wow, she's great. Though it also kind of she's like Julia Roberts. She's great at kind of taking away that veneer as well and completely immediately having a human connection with you. And I think there's a real art to that, and I think it's an unfortunate responsibility of people who are huge stars who then have to do a scene with you to suddenly break it all down and go, right, hey, we're just in the scene together and yeah, we're just two human beings having an interaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, okay, so missedable. You know, one of the things is it responsibility. Do you feel it's a responsibility. I mean that you now carry this torch of being sort of this like leading man at a time that it didn't exist publicly, you know, you've done. You've made choices, many different choices. You've played, you know, from all your you know, your movies and TV. A lot of what you're not playing gay characters. You're just you're playing. But you know you you know, we talk about boys in the band, We talked about fellow travelers. You know, we didn't talk about the normal heart. But my god, what a heartbreaking. I remember running into on the street in New York City and you were like six pounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Do you feel there's like a responsibility that you carry me? You got a beautiful award this year last year by HRC that the President of the United States gave you, which is was a big deal.
Speaker 3: Like you've you've really created a life for yourself where there's a responsibility to How does that feel?
Speaker 2: Do you feel that? It's interesting? I worked with Diane, the lovely Diane Carroll. Maybe she rest in peace. I miss her for six years and I was so curious. I remember talking to her early on, but she was the first African American woman to have her own hour long trimetime show. Anyway, I asked her, I was like, what was that like did you feel? And she and she said I just thought of myself as an actor, right, and who had a great role and I was playing that and that gave me such a sense of perspective at all, because she had had a whole the lifetime to look back on that moment, you know. So I was fortunate to be with her in that moment and and have that answer. But you know, my biggest thing if I'm if I'm able to be in a piece where has LGBTQ themes or characters, and I'm fortunate enough to be, you know, whether it's just an actor or I'm producing, I just don't want to drop the ball, right, That's the only responsibility I feel, because there is this sense of like.
Speaker 3: Which you never will because you take it.
Speaker 2: So you know, there are so many factors that go into something like that, but you just know that it's a rare opportunity just to even get to be at that table. So I want to make sure other people get to be there too, And so that's that's I think that's it's not at the forefront of my mind, but I think that's somewhere in the back of my right. Outside of that, it's so funny that people ask me all these giant social questions and where I fit into the schemes, and there are all questions that I can't answer it right right, you know, they think that I have some grand answer that's going to be the definitive, and it's just not the way the world works, not where the zeitgeist works, and not the way our culture shapes and shifts.
Speaker 1: I've had such a great time today at lunch with my friend Matt Bomer, and I just need to know what life.
Speaker 2: Is like for such a busy actor.
Speaker 1: Mattie, you have, first of all, this is like your this is a true one of many and you've had them happened before. But it's really been fascinating, amazing to watch as your friend, this moment in time that your career has brought you. I think it's also interesting that there was that strike that God made everything weight, so everything.
Speaker 2: It was like getting pulled back on a sling shot, I bet because there was so it was such a you know, the one thing I was bummed about. And it's all, it's fine, it's all panned out fine, But I really wanted to go to the Venice Film Festival because you just don't get to do that every day. And this show Bradley and Carrie and Steve would have just been so cool, assuming they would have even invited me. Who knows, but if they had. But other than that, I had really kind of made this weird piece that the work was just out in the world and it was going to be what it was. Hopefully folks would find the show, and the social media people from the studios and networks would do their job and create awareness however they do. And then all of a sudden, we were unleashed, you know, we were unleashed. I mean, so I just it was like, literally this strike ended. There was a phone call the next hour. I was on a plane the next day, and I have not stopped since stop. It's been pretty wild.
Speaker 1: So I just need to like acknowledge as we, I believe, come to an end to our launch and we have a big weekend ahead of us. To say, the fact that you the generosity of Matt Bomer, if you've pulled up a chair today, the fact that he's sitting with me in a week where he we are celebrating a milestone birthday for his husband, in a week where you just had the Golden Globe weekend, which is prest Press brass in a week where you're does not go unnoticed, unappreciated, and really means the world to me that you would take the time to sit and have just a sort of quiet little lunch in a nook corner of La Bruce.
Speaker 2: We could be in the middle of that Julia Roberts movie and I would make the time for you. That's that, miss, how deep my love for you and Brian and your family goes.
Speaker 3: Thanks so I love you, Matt, I love you too, and thank you everyone for listening and you talk.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 1: Table for two with Bruce Bossi is produced by iHeartRadio seven three seven Park and Airmail. Our executive producers are Bruce Bosi Nathan King. Our supervising producer and editor is Dylan Fagan. Table for two is researched and written by Jack Sullivan. Our sound engineers are Meil B. Klein, Jess Krainich, Evan Taylor, and Jesse Funk. Our music supervisor is Randall Poster. Our talent booking is done by Jane Sarkin. Table for two Social media manager is Gracie Wiener. Special thanks to Amy Sugarman, Uni Scherer, Kevin Yuvane, Bobby Bauer, Alison Kanter Graber, Barbara Jen, Jeff Klein, and the staff at the Tower Bar in the world famous Sunset Tower Hotel in Hollywood. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.