Speaker 1: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. How long should it take when you feel like you finally found your true love? How far into that relationship should you wait to propose?
Speaker 3: WHOA?
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: I thought you're going to go with like Elbom or like whoa.
Speaker 1: I'm just asking it in general, like it should you wait ninety months? Ninety days? That's ninety seconds?
Speaker 3: No, okay, ninety seconds.
Speaker 1: I mean at subway just the other day, I felt like I was in love with the way that my sandwich artist built me that cold cut combo. And they're lucky it only took them eighty seven seconds to make it, because I almost got down on one knee right there. Three more seconds, you would have had me. You would have had me forever. I would have been changed. Man. But the reason that I bring it up is because one of our listeners says he knew pretty quickly when he met the right woman. Tim, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: My gosh, Jim, what a setup? Do you feel like more nervous? Are better after hearing all of that from.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey, I'll be honest, I feel a little bit better. So The situation is, I'm currently engaged. My fiance's name is Jessica.
Speaker 1: Already engaged. Okay, you've already asked her the question.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought you're going to do it on our show.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot, all.
Speaker 3: Right, fine, what do you want from us?
Speaker 1: All the magic has gone. I think what Brook meant to say is congratulations on engagement, and it's really exciting.
Speaker 3: How long have you guys been engaged.
Speaker 2: We've been engaged a few weeks.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's so brand new. Wow, god, is it fun to start saying fiance?
Speaker 1: You are literally calling us from cloud nine? Right, Oh my god, your reception is great, my friend, So clearly there's some sort of issue you're dealing with. Kind of walk us through what's going on?
Speaker 2: All right? So the bad story is we got engaged. What it's felt like a good amount of time for us, but other people think it's quick. Okay, I proposed when we were only together for four months?
Speaker 3: Four months?
Speaker 1: Okay, oh the question.
Speaker 3: You know, some people are just ready in their life, you know, and and like it's a lot about timing. And she obviously said yes, so she was ready.
Speaker 1: Is she pregnant or something? Or you really love Jeffrey.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't matter, No, it's just asking.
Speaker 1: You're doing it for love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally since our first date. It feels like we've known each other for years, but our first date lasted like twelve hours. Like we went out for to grab a cup of coffee, we had lunch, we had dinner, and you know, like it feels strange when we say it out loud if we've only noticed other, you know, like just over five months at this point. If that, like, we have friends who will outright say we're crazy. Our family is not at all shy saying that we're rushing this.
Speaker 3: Okay, so they're like not fully on board, they're kind of criticizing you a little bit.
Speaker 1: Is that the issue we're dealing with?
Speaker 2: Not quite. So here's my main issue. We were just sitting around having dinner the other night, and completely unprompted, Jessica mentions, Hey, I read an article and apparently more and more young couples are doing prenups now.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, especially because people are getting married later. So you know, men and women are going into a relationship with some stuff established.
Speaker 1: And they're like, you know, responsibility. It's interesting that she just brought that up. Randomly out of the blue to you.
Speaker 3: How else are you bringing it up? I mean, who else does it come up? It's not like it's definitely important to talk about and see where you both stand before you get married.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she didn't go on with that line of thoughts. She didn't say should we get a prenup? How do you feel about a prenup? She literally said more people are doing it and then change the topic. So now I'm like, I think she brought it up because she thinks I'm going to ask her for one.
Speaker 1: Oh, that you're going to ask her for a prenup.
Speaker 2: I don't want to sound gross about this, but financially, I'm like, way more well off than she is. I have sell cars at a very high end dealership, and she's still very young in her career, and I'm happy to be the breadwinner. But you know, I just think financially it's responsible, and I think having a prenup it would look good for our families to show it's like, yes, we're doing this quickly, but we're not reckless about it.
Speaker 3: So were you already thinking of asking her to sign a prenup before she randomly brought it up?
Speaker 2: I mean, It's something that I assumed we would talk about. But you know, our wedding isn't for another year almost. I figured it would be like a few months from now at least.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a wild thing about getting engaged so quickly, Like you don't even have time to have those type of conversations.
Speaker 1: Or judge, Yeah we're wanting to Yeah, you're just you want to get it done.
Speaker 3: So wait, you think that she doesn't want one.
Speaker 2: I'm ninety five percent sure she'd be okay with it. She's really progressive and open minded. But that five percent of uncertainty of not knowing exactly how sure she is, that's why you're here.
Speaker 1: Okay, what made you email us for help?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What are you looking to get out of this phone call? Well?
Speaker 2: I just know that prenups can sometimes create a lot of tension in a relationship if you don't do it in a tactful way. And I don't think we would break up over something like this.
Speaker 1: But you're good, thank you. What's not tactful about asking for a prenup over the radio? That's pretty classy if you asked me romantic, how did you ask your husband for a prenum?
Speaker 3: We don't have a prenup. I never signed a prenup.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, that's not what he wants to heart to a premum.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, my only girlfriend signed a prenup is now divorced. O, what are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm sure just pretend that you didn't hear that, but it's true. It's a lie. Okay, she's definitely gonna say yes when we asked her for a prenup.
Speaker 2: I don't know. You guys are ready to be feeling a lot worse about You're good.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and also, Book and her friends come from a very conservative group. Your girlfriend very progressive, forward looking. I'm sure she's going to be much more open to it. We'll come back give you a little bit of advice unless you ask your girl for a prenups on the radio when you're awkward Tuesday phone calls. It's coming up right after this hold on that it's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. I am really curious to know what advice my co hosts have for today's awkward Tuesday caller. Oh too, because anytime I've seen this scenario played out in movies or on TV, shows like when Bugs Bunny brought it up to Babs. It has always been very awkward that happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah it did. That's why Bugs never got married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Babs went storming out of the after that. All they feel shocked, little feelings of betrayal, like oh, so you're planning to leave me. I'm just thankful that we have two experts here, Jose and Brooke, who can help our listener Tim today to broach the subject of a prenup because he's already engaged to Jessica after they've been dating for about four months.
Speaker 3: I like he got that done. But it's more nerve racking to ask about the prenup than it is to ask about getting married.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so seeds of doubt in relation, for sure. I agree. But Brooke, you recently had to cut your husband out of his own will, so I don't know how you have that conversation with him. Maybe you'll have great advice for Tim here.
Speaker 3: What do you think hire a great attorney?
Speaker 2: I'm gidding.
Speaker 3: I think the thing is here is it's the approach Tim okay, And the great news is is that she's the one that's already brought it up. So that's your jumping off point. You're like, hey, remember when you were talking about that trend where couples are talking about prenups.
Speaker 1: She broke the ice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so then it like lowers her defenses. Right, It's not gonna come off like it's aggressive.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking of this because you brought it up, accused her of it being her id. Yes, what do you think about that? Tim?
Speaker 2: I mean that sounds like a natural approach. I guess I demand this.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's one nugget of advice, Jose, what do you think Regardless of what you do or what you say, you have to reassure her throughout the call, saying, look, this is just in case we're never gonna need this, We're never gonna use this. This is literally a legal precaution wild emergencies on Now.
Speaker 3: Doth protest too much? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think it's smart. It's like every building has an emergency fire extinguisher in it.
Speaker 3: If your building manager tells you four times also in you an apartment where the fire extinguisher.
Speaker 1: Then I feel extra safe whenever I step into this building, Tim, do you feel extra safe with us during this call? Where your emergency exit plan?
Speaker 2: I mean I feel as ray as I'm gonna be. But you guys, do me a favor if she just says yes that it's all cool to you, Please not play the awkward sound effect.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, we want to play the awkward noise. We'll play a bunch of crickets. Sounds rich crickets, though all these crickets have pre nuts. So here we go. I'm gonna dial your fiance, Jessica. We're gonna step away and let you do this. Man, good luck. We'll jump in if you feel like you need a little help. But here we go.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hey, babe, Hey, wait.
Speaker 3: A foot number.
Speaker 4: I recognize this number.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know I'm at work right now. I can't find my cell phone, so I just called you from one of the office phones. Did they doing so far?
Speaker 4: It's fine. Did you call the pharmacy and make sure that everything was good?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I haven't done that yet, but i'll do it since I'm off the fun with you. So I hope I'm not bothering you or interrupting or anything. But I was just thinking about something and I wondered if you had like a quick second of talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, you know you got You're good go ahead, what's up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just I wanted to say first of all, that you know I feel so safe in our relationships, and did you do you feel the same way you feel safe? Also?
Speaker 4: Should should I feel safe? I think I should?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Like I feel safe?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I mean of course, that's literally my only goal in life is to make sure you feel safe and happy.
Speaker 4: And yeah, no, I definitely feel safe. Like this is a weird call. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Well? On that topic of safety, I remember the other night you were talking about that article you read and how troubles our age are getting prenups before their wedding. Yeah, well, I've been thinking a lot about that since you said it, and not that we would ever need it, but just in case, I think it might make us safe if maybe we got one. Are you serious? I yeah, I mean you know, you mentioned it and I thought it was a pretty good idea. Like, I just I'll just say it. Do you want to get a prenup?
Speaker 4: Uh? Okay, I guess so?
Speaker 2: Oh really?
Speaker 4: I yeah, yeah, I'm actually glad glad you brought it up because, like my dad was asking me to bring it up with you.
Speaker 2: What wait, why was why was he Why was he asking you to bring it up to me.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've been dating for four months and we're engaged, so we haven't really crossed all of the boundaries and information. So, uh, there's my great grandfather was like an early investor in oil trades. It's to my families like tilsa rich, so this could be great. Oh what's going on?
Speaker 3: Oh, a couple of financial advisors on the phone.
Speaker 1: Jessica, welcome to our show. You're on with Broken Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 5: No, no, my name.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Sorry, I tricked you. I needed to ask you this question. I've just been stressing out about how to do it.
Speaker 1: Bro, you're the one that got tricked itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tricking.
Speaker 1: Just so you know, Jessica, this is called an awkward Tuesday phone call. We were really expecting a lot more pushback on the pre map question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is awkward.
Speaker 3: We're so good.
Speaker 2: I mean, Babe, why is this the first time I'm hearing about this?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, because you've only been together four months?
Speaker 1: The first thing you say, hi, we're billionaires. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I really didn't know when the right time to bring this up, but my dad was definitely pressuring me yeah, Oh.
Speaker 3: My gosh, well, I mean it's great news Jessica because he's so on.
Speaker 1: Board where he was. Does that mean that I wouldn't be any more? Don't change your mind? What bro, she's rich?
Speaker 2: What now?
Speaker 3: Because she's rich? So the prenup is only to protect you if you're rich.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like Jessica's father isn't one hundred percent certain that this relationship is going to work out. Oh, tue of doubt.
Speaker 4: He's never ever like any of my four months.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're joking.
Speaker 3: I don't think she is.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding? Have you been engaged before, Jessica?
Speaker 3: Which is fine, I mean never married, but yeah, I'm engaged and Tim.
Speaker 1: You knew about that, right or is this the first time you're finding out that too?
Speaker 2: I'm you might need to hit that awkward button again.
Speaker 1: Talking to do.
Speaker 2: There's a lot we obviously need to talk about. Maybe we didn't like hash this all that one. Get home tonight, and maybe maybe you could pay for dinner for a change.
Speaker 3: Oh, my tables, you know that's totally fair, my treat.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of ground to cover.
Speaker 3: It sounds like more than one ex fiance.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, yeah, we we aimed to get her to agree to a prenup and we did it, aggressively agreed to it. And not only did she agree, she forced him to agree back to another person double prenups today.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, babe, just to be clear, we're never gonna need this. I will love you forever. So if you don't want to get a prenups after all and go through all of it, I'm cool with that.
Speaker 5: Oh what a sweet thing to say to love Israel.
Speaker 3: It's brooking Jeffrey in the morning.