Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Big thanks to our super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do it right this time, guys, Urah.
Speaker 1: This is one for the peasants and the pezz Philosophers.
Speaker 2: Ben, you want to sign my Urah?
Speaker 3: Actually, can I jump in here? I actually have a story for Noel. You know, I always listened to it afterwards because you have to edit it. So I thought up a nomadic device for you in case you ever need to figure out. So it's like, uh, ooh, baby, baby, it's the wild World.
Speaker 2: It says it's ooh uh Okay, I don't remember that. I'll probably never say it again now that I've finally closed the loop on that. But yeah, we are not talking about military words of motivation today. We're talking about something else entirely.
Speaker 1: Yes, going back to the puns peasants philosophers, the we talked about some divisive candies quite recently, and we also arrived at a conversation about an iconic thing pez And I'm not sure you guys whether the rest of the world knows what PEZ is. I've traveled pretty widely and I don't see Pez all the time. But maybe it's like a sleeper hit candy, you know, maybe it's just somewhere in the aisle.
Speaker 2: I guess I feel like people maybe know the dispenser is more than they know the candy, and they're like, what even is that? For me, certainly the dispensers hold a lot more interest than the candy itself, as I find the candy to be of that same echelon of trash candy as like Neco wafers and Smarties.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing, and this is very interesting. This is part of our show today. PEZ has an origin story that may surprise a lot of people. It may indeed be ridiculous history. We're going to go to Teresa mckemmer, writing for Smithsonian Magazine pretty often. Here. Let's give you one quote, folks. Teresa says, one product hits a perfect harmony, the Pez dispenser, part character, part candy, and all collectible. The trinket has delighted kids and collectors around the world for decades, and yet when Austria and confectioner Eduard Hass, the third invented pez. He set out to corner an entirely different marketing. Can I get some dramatic music?
Speaker 2: That's an entirely different market to be sure? So first let's introduce us to our main character, the inventor of PEZ, as you said, Ben Eduard Haas the Third, of course, indeed his bio from MIT. They don't write bios for just anyone. He was born near Vienna, Austria, in eighteen ninety seven and was part of a very enterprising family. His grandfather, Edward Haas the First, was an actual facts doctor and had created a new type of baking powder that was used to make cakes lighter and arier. His son, Edward Haas the Second, briefly attended medical school, but instead of going into the medical field, he ran a wholesale grocery business. Enter Edward the Third, who tries his hand in mixing up a batch of this baking powder. Because I guess it didn't really take off. It was just more of like a pet project of Edward the second and the hopes that he could sell it as part of the wholesale grocery operation. He did succeed in his attempts, which gave him the needed boost of confidence to go into the confectionery business and to jump in here real quick.
Speaker 3: I don't think this source had it in them, but I think it was different source I was reading. I think he was like sixteen when he was doing this, like really young enterprising chap exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, back in the late eighteen hundred's, early nineteen hundreds, sixteen is essentially thirty five years old, right, that's a quick inflation calculation.
Speaker 2: He's a regular Timothy Chame portraying young Willy Wonka.
Speaker 1: Well, it's tough to get into acting, you know, and we wish Tim the best.
Speaker 2: By Jade, I like young Tim. I'm going to see him in June too, this evening.
Speaker 1: So by the nineteen twenties, we've got this family baking business right from Austria, and our buddy, Eh the third takes over managing the company when he turns eighteen, and he does one of the coolest things you could do at the time. Takes out some ads in the local newspaper, which is like posted on social media, and they say.
Speaker 2: Look at this.
Speaker 1: Are you worried about having to measure all your cake mix? Forget about it. We've got pre measured cake mix just for you, and I love that you point out the mit bio.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I mean, obviously, pre measured cake mix is a huge business today, you know, with things like Betty Crocker, boxed cake, you know, angels, all of that stuff. So maybe he seemed early to the parties here, because I guess it wasn't that necessarily that concept that took off, but something that it led to.
Speaker 1: And before we get to that cool story about Betty Crocker and shelf Stable cake mix in particular, they didn't need to add an egg. If you buy it now, you don't need to have an egg. It was entirely a piece of propaganda, meant to make it feel like you were cooking because you cracked an egg and put it into the thing. This is a true story, you believe you You're right, absolutely, no, that has started with cake mix, just like Drake started into grassy but he had so much further to go in.
Speaker 2: The mid nineteen twenty to the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And he started from the bottom of the cake pand a long way to the top. In the mid nineteen twenties, Hass got peppermint oil from a local chemist and he said, I'm going to make a peppermint candy, and the way he pitched it in the Ridiculous History Universe was something like, not just regular peppermint candy. It's elevated, it's sophisticated, it's strong and cold pressed.
Speaker 2: I'd never heard that term as associated with this kind of thing. I guess I just think of that as coffee. But I guess it really is just a particular process of distilling something into something else. I guess it's not just a way of making iced coffee. You can do it with other things to kind of like, you know, steep something.
Speaker 1: I'm picturing I'm picturing a bunch of people sitting around and going.
Speaker 2: Wal we press our pepper mint's hot and he says, hear me out.
Speaker 1: We're gonna put a lot of sugar in these, and we're gonna make them tiny tablets, lozenges, pills, and we're going to also be very mindful about the shape. They're gonna be a little rounded, rectangular bricks. That way we could wrap them more easily.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We talked about this in our Devisive Candy series. The innovation of individual packaging or machine wrapping is huge for the game.
Speaker 2: And also how a lot of those folks that were kind of early to market were using pre existing War era wartime type machines or you know, things that were already used in pharmaceutical manufacturing to press these tablets. That's why they look so pill like. But he did just that and dubbed it PEZ, which is short for a German word that means peppermin that I'm going to give a go to. I believe it's fer minz Minza. Well done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta get weird with the RS on that one. The thing is, this guy sends out sort of prototypes, right demo versions of this to his friends, to his co workers, and they all love it. They love it so much that he starts making little packages for it, little tits, and this this leads to the creation of food manufacturing corporations Pez Candies, and locally they're a hit. You know, people are talking to each other in suburbs of Austria and they're like, you gotta go to Vienna and when you go, you gotta get the good candy. What's the good candy? And they're like, well, you know how we say the resiments. He says, well, just call him PEZ. You want to be cool, you want to be a local. And so Hawes, to his credit, knows he has a smart thing. He knows he's got lightning in a jar here. So he says, how can I get pez outside of Austria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's put this lightning in a ten baby, because ten can be repurposed, you know, like it was still to this day, alzoid tins are used for guitar picks and little trink buttons or whatever, sewing kits, things like that. It's nice to have an extra thing that retains your branding and then is used for other purposes. So he creates these. It's very you know, esthetically pleasing little pocket tins for this candy, and it does gangbusters business at least in regionally, locally, like you said, hosp wanted more. You wanted to take it wide. Oh the whole time.
Speaker 1: By the way, he's handied these things to his friends, right, he's like waving his hands and performatively coughing because they all smoke.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, of course, I mean the Germans. The Germans loved their cigarettesa as did you know Europeans and Americans. This was a golden dime for cigarettes. But I believe to your point been there was enough intel creeping in data that maybe this wasn't the best thing to do. And so there was almost like a new ish market opening up for anti smoking, for quitting smoking cessation. Right. We didn't have nicotine lozenges or patches, but mints early. That was an early form of kind of that oral fixation sort of substitute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in the early days, a lot of the advertisements concerned breath, like fresh breath smelling better, and you could see in some of the ad marketing quotes like no smoking passing allowed, peasy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: They were on to something, and the idea was that they could help people, as you said, quit smoking tobacco. I imagine it was mainly tobacco. And they're coming in at a very weird time socially, because this is post World War two. Smoking is very very in it's very on vogue at this point because everybody's a little bit fatalistic in Europe, just being honest, and so this guy is still thinking of these things as just branded peppermints, and he says, you know, if you're trying to quit, you might have some sort of oral fixation or some need to busy yourself with your hands. So he says, let's give them something else to put in their mouths in place of a tobacco cigarette, and this is how we're going to target smokers. There's a bit of Berneze level calculation here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, because it's also I believe it stemmed from the availability of the peppermint oil and also the reputation that it had as being a bit more of a medicinal kind of thing because it was only really available in pharmacies. But it's my understanding the has for this experiment either like happened into a connect for some peppermint oil or something, you know, and then was like, let's make let's make this peppermint oil into peppermint oil and aid or little tablets that we can sell for the purposes of smoking cessation. So you have the birth of the very first flavor of PEZ.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And going back to the cold pressing, want to give a very important shout out to Sean Peterson, who is the company historian PEZ Candy Incorporated. Sean points out that there is a logic, a method to the madness of cold pressing. To your point, peppermint oil was tricky for most industrial applications because it evaporated in heat. Cold pressing changes this. You put the sugar and the various flavoring together, you literally.
Speaker 2: Just smash it.
Speaker 1: You just smash that stuff together until it becomes cohesive. And originally they didn't have the dispensers. They just had like we're saying, the altoids level metal tins where they were wrapped in foil. But this was a huge technological breakthrough for the Peppermint game.
Speaker 2: Interesting, so cold pressing really is just kind of like suspending something in a solution and just letting it kind of do its thing.
Speaker 1: In the case of pez they just spushed it together. I cannot speak with any sort of authority about cold press coffee.
Speaker 2: It may well just be a mismatching of terms, and the cold pressing that I'm familiar with for like coffee would be a different process. But cold press coffee, oh, I think it's literally just taking a you know, like you know, like macerrating coffee grounds in cold water and then putting it in the fridge and letting it sit in there. Like I have like a cold press kit that's literally just like a like a what do you call it? Like a kind of a narrow carafe, and then it has this sort of agitator stick that you know, fits through the top, and you literally just mix it a lot like you would with a French press, which you do obviously hot, but instead of it being with hot water, it's with cold water, and then you just let it sit in the fridge and then the poor spout on the carath filters out the coffee grounds. You essentially just get like cold water that's been steeped in coffee grounds, but it doesn't require heat. Hmm. Okay, was that a thing you think that Haas was aware of? Or I think it might I don't know, like I'm wondering. It's maybe a conversation for another time, but the history of cold pressing or if these things are indeed related, But it does feel like they might well be, because I think of cold press coffee is a little bit more of a modern thing. But a lot of times things that sort of catch, you know, the the zeitgeist, become in vogue often are things that are old that just haven't really been and had a resurgent moment. You know.
Speaker 1: My favorite example of that is the UH is the resurgence of handmade in your favorite local products. Originally most human things were indeed hand made, So anyway, be cautious when you go to the grocery store, folks, or your favorite tobacconist or your favorite candy store. There is a big psychological question that Haas and his team spend a lot of time on. They think, well, if we are replacing smoking cigarettes, shall we not replace everything? Like, we want to make our new thing as familiar and as seamless in the world of habit as we can. And that is why true story. In nineteen forty seven, Haas and his team designed the pez dispenser on purpose to look like a cigarette lighter.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, that's brilliant marketing. So it's like it's almost like a comb switchblade. You know, it's sort of neuters the thing. You know that was like the danger. It takes the danger out. You know, am I going to kill you? Orre am I handsome? Or it could be both. You could technically shank somebody in the neck with a calm switchblade. You have to have a lot of forward motion. That's very true. It's awesoint. I had no idea about this, but it makes perfect sense. It's got that hinge. It reminds me of like those old classy kind of metal, more slim cigarette lighters from back in the day. That would have been gold and maybe something you would have gotten for retirement, you know what I mean, like these very very yeah, very classy. So it would have been a way of even because hell, guys, lighting a cigarette is also a fixation of its own kind, you know, just flicking that thing, getting that reaction, hearing that sound.
Speaker 1: The muscle memory, the ritualization. It's kind of like when people worry at rosaries, right, or count the beads. It's a it's like a fidget spinner.
Speaker 2: It's like a total fidget spinner. Holy crap, this is brilliant. So they start with it as you know, this very recognizable device. When did they slap Shaggy from Scooby Doo's head on these guys.
Speaker 1: Well, that's gonna take a Oh man, I'm ready to get in nineteen. Oh this is fun. This is not get through this fun weird stuff, and it's going to change the way you look at PEZ, who is not an official sponsor of today's program.
Speaker 2: PEZ should sponsor more podcast stuff. I'm just saying, Yeah, they'd be great for it, you know? Is it funny though? How Pez is one of those legacy brands It literally doesn't have to advertise. Have you ever seen an ad for Pez ever?
Speaker 1: Also, I got to pitch Pez cast You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Well branded content, babe. Oh, Mac's too late sponsors Pez Max is like my arm recovered just for this, for this, and now I'm literally gonna injured it again by slamming my fist down on the desk and rage.
Speaker 1: So it's nineteen forty nine and they advertise at the or they start selling these at the Vienna.
Speaker 2: Trade Fair and Austrian's Fair type situation practically, yeah, and they call.
Speaker 1: It pocket article dispensing container, super saxy Austrian name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, I know Austrian Germany are not the same, and I do know that. Yeah, they have a similar vibe. I've been, I've been adherence to the rules, the little bits, you know what I mean? You know, nonsense, Yes, enjoyment true, z Peppa mants is mandatory. Indeed, mandatory enjoyment. I love that.
Speaker 1: So they do look like and you can again see early designs. The very first Pez container does not have a Scooby doo. Uh Mascot audit. But it looks like a slim, rectangular cigarette lighter. And they probably based it on two things. The resemblance to an earlier piece of technology and the easiest, most efficacious way to package these peppermint bricks. Right, So they were It's strange.
Speaker 2: I didn't know this.
Speaker 1: I assumed the old pez dispensers would have been rat of some sort of metal substance, But no, they were plastic.
Speaker 2: That shocked me a little bit, right, I mean, I guess we're talking nineteen forty seven, so I guess I didn't really think of plastic as being as common as it is now. Is that when did plastic really start to find its way into mass you know, mass produced products.
Speaker 1: We're talking about plastic, plastic, modern plastic.
Speaker 2: Bake light, wasn't it bake light? Yeah? So is this plast What is this?
Speaker 3: After the Second World War? According to Plain Products, and then again during the nineteen sixties and seventies, is like when it really I think started getting.
Speaker 2: Very affordable to do things with plastic. I see, okay, it was it was before.
Speaker 3: It was definitely before the golden age of plastic.
Speaker 2: I thought, so, yeah, that's it. So they were sort of to the to the dance.
Speaker 1: Think about it. They're like early adopters. They are too candy what Apple is to cell phones. You know, they're they're very it's very sexy. If you want to be cool in Vienna and abroad, you pull out your PEZ. And they were originally called pull out.
Speaker 2: Your Pez sounds naughty.
Speaker 1: The only guy can judge us, or maybe the creator of PEZ. At first they called these things, uh, you know. They they sold the container as like an early adopter, look at this kind of flex.
Speaker 2: But they originally commemoratives, like almost like a yeah. It was like a promotional, yes.
Speaker 1: Promotional perfect. They originally didn't call it just Pez. They called it Pez drops, and they marketed it as something that you would buy if you were an adult and doing well in life.
Speaker 2: It was aspirational, got it. Yeah. The advertisements also touted the health benefits and they showed you know, happy affluent couples making out with the caption deliciously fresh breath. You mentioned another slogan earlier. I believe right, Ben, Yeah.
Speaker 1: No smoking pezzing allowed. Also got you've got the again. The parallels with Edward Bernez are amazing here because they also built a street team. They would have they would have free samples, cool looking people out in busy squares or major events. Picture your favorite sports game, there's someone there handing out free samples of Pez they had. They had super attractive people in advertisements who'd be like, are you already pezzing? They were called the Pez Girls. They were very famous in their time. I would argue we can also see some parallels with vaping today.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, they took a took a page out of the old Pez playbook. Right. So this is all of course in Europe early on, and it's not until the early nineteen fifties that the Pez candies start to be available in the United States. But instead of it taking off as some sort of anti smoking aid, seemed like kids were super interested in this new fangled Pez stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we want to give a very special, very important thank you to Haas the third for not making candy cigarettes, you know, for going with Pez the tablet over PEZ the cylinder.
Speaker 2: Much more clean cut, much more wholesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so sales, like you were pointing out, the whole sales are not amazing.
Speaker 2: Just because there's only one demo. It's like just the kids right, Yeah, it's just the kids.
Speaker 1: And at this point, penny candy is still a thing, so it's like, why am I going to buy my kid this weird.
Speaker 2: Flex, expensive European mint?
Speaker 1: Exactly for everybody, uh, for everybody listening along. I want to describe to you, because we are an audio show, fellow ridiculous historians. Noel, you had the most beautiful furrow in your brow. I saw you experiencing that moment where you're like, weird European mints.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I know no shade to weird European mints. I enjoy them every now and again. You know, at the at the Leadle, you get some in the checkout at the Aldi or the Legle. There's some some good ones out there. Like altoids has to be European. Isn't that Swiss or something? It has to be. It's like a legacy euro mint. And and I remember a time where altoids were not as widely available as they are today. And we're in and of themselves a bit of a flex. Altoids are like buttered cookies. You know, they're they're better in the they're better because.
Speaker 3: The ten also ready to be surprised, they're from London.
Speaker 2: Okay, well still why the Fisherman's friend the grossest?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, I don't This may not be a story the Jedi would like me to tell you. But folks, you can listen back through how Stuff works, and should you be an astute history student, you will find most of the old school Stuff podcast had a period where they had to talk about Altoid's, in particular the history, the science, how they're made, what peppermint is anyway, you know, you get in situations, and that's where has found himself because he was like, what they don't like my fancy European anti smoking mints, And then his folks got back to them and he said, well, sir, we apologize. Turns out only chill like the mints in the United States, and low and behold, they leaned into that demographic.
Speaker 2: Huh what else do kids like? Ben uh, fruity flavors, cartoon mascots. Perhaps I think you're onto something.
Speaker 1: Maybe Anticlaus, Yeah, maybe a Popeye, maybe a cowboy, maybe a space trooper of some sort.
Speaker 2: Make them tasted not like extremely strong anti smoking emnts, would rather like oranges and lemons strawberries. Perhaps I'm telling you vapes. It is totally the vape, dude, it's it is. It is entirely that thing that's wild. Only you know, we're just peddling sugar here, not necessarily popcorn, long inducing you know, in inhalables. So by nineteen fifty five, away full vape on this and they have they have notable public figures for children branded in the vape, similar to the way that faster people are gonna come after.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well, vapes weren't a thing at.
Speaker 2: This now it's very and they were not sure.
Speaker 1: They were not peddling something insidious. They were like, let's make this candy. Let's make sure we appeal to the kids, right, just like old dirty bastard said about Wu Tang.
Speaker 2: And so they get for the children, Yeah, they get the uh, they.
Speaker 1: Get the most notable figures for kids in America back in the day we're.
Speaker 2: Talking would have required agreements, would have required licensing, right, and that's when things get really interesting. Sorry, Yeah, what are some of the big names that first rolled out that would have been of the era, Well, Mickey Mouse obviously, what else. We've got Bozo the Clown, who was massive both in stature and shoe size and also popularity, and then of course Casper the Friendly Ghost. So those were some of the earliest and I mean again, I don't have the specifics in front of me, but those would have had to have been marketing agreements between the owners of that intellectual property and company. I would imagine maybe that law was less buttoned up as it is today, and at first they were like, oh, they're gonna love to be associated with this, but I would imagine they would have had to at least talk to those, you know, whoever owned the rights to those characters, because certainly that's the direction that it went in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no kidding, Uh, stay tuned for the ridiculous history Pez dispensers we're going to do. We're not talking. Well, maybe you know it's good to dream the year two, Yeah, the Dare two. Uh. The weird thing about this is they yet again hit on this amazing moment in the zeitgeist society and PEZ becomes a pop culture icon. Everybody's got to have it for several decades. It's kind of like when you see politicians put a little selfie on social media and they've got a tidy bottle of hot sauce there you go.
Speaker 2: I keep that thang on me. No stop it, Hillary Clinton, You're embarrassing yourself. Go home. Well it's like.
Speaker 1: That, but you know, for the world with PEZ, for the Western world, especially in nineteen seventy three, Pez builds a candy factory and warehouse. This is a Wonka moment you were talking about earlier. They build it in Connecticut, in Orange, Connecticut, and it's entirely to supply the Western world with Pez. Or excuse me, it's entirely to supply the United States with PEZ. And now that factory is still around, they make all the Pez. They make so much Pez.
Speaker 2: You guys, apparently they have the large the world's largest PEZ dispenser, because of course they do. It was going to exist. It was going to exist there. Man, they're a veritable Sackler family of candy distribution. Well they're a little better than Sacklers. I know. I can't. It's Gallows humor because it's just so sad. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we do Gallows humor because in these economic times.
Speaker 2: It's tough to afford tears. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this factory is amazing though. It is a study and efficacy. Right now, they make about twelve million tablets. They call them a little pet bites.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that's what Maybe that's what invoked the big pharma thing for me. The twelve million tablets today. You know, they got the medicinal background. But no, maybe tell us a little bit more about what happens to our buddy haas he did. Yeah he overdosed on pens. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, No, I'm joking. That didn't happen. He did, though, pass away in nineteen eighty six, and he did, of course leave behind a massive enterprise of confectionery sweeties. Pez Candy Incorporated actually took you know, became the going concern. It was originally I believe has was his name was in the name of the company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the innovations to the dispensers continued after his death. You know how like if you look at one now, you'll see feet at the base boz can the standout levelsay case, yeah, exactly, yeah, exactly, you nailed it. And if you are a Pez collector there are a ton of Pez collectors, then you're looking at the feet first, the way people look at shoes. You're you're saying, well, how can I tell whether this is a vintage Pez? Dispenser or me reduction.
Speaker 2: Same with matchbox cars. We talked about matchbox cars, I believe in a previous episode. Check that one out there. You know, that's a very similarly collectible thing where you can tell what era they came from and looking at like the wheelbarings or whatever it might be. I think most people have at some point in their life owned a Pez dispenser, you know, bought one on a lark at the grocery store. Checkout Max. You'll be proud to know that the I have. It's actually in my kids room, a unopened star Trek. The next generation theme set of Pez Dispensers, including John Luke Picard as Borg. You guys are nerds. No, yeah, I didn't know yet a name. He's in there. The regular JLP is there, and some of the other hits from that you know era of the show, which one is JLP John Luke Picard. Oh, I'm sorry, I took some liberties there to celebrities there.
Speaker 1: So this is true, and you have hit upon quite a potential investment there, Noel, because these Pez dispensers, for the enthusiast thing self from anywhere for a few bucks to thousands of dollars, as you found, Max, one of the most rarefied of pez Dispenser designs is from nineteen sixty one. It sold for twelve thousand, five hundred US dollars in twenty thirteen, so that's still kind of twelve thousand dollars. And then the station like a political like themed promo branding kind of stuff. Yeah, the donkey of the which which party?
Speaker 2: Is that? Again?
Speaker 3: I always forget Democrats. They they had the donkey and the elephant.
Speaker 1: And originally there was going to be a turkey as the political mascot back at the Dame Ben Franklin Love you wanted that.
Speaker 2: To be the bird the national yeah, instead of the eagle. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I don't know if it's completely apocryphal, but everyone would called uh Andrew Jackson a jackass that he liked it so much that he changed the Democratic Party's symbol to a donkey.
Speaker 2: That's it is.
Speaker 1: But there's validity to it because he definitely was a jackass. Yeah, that's true. And also the donkey was a more respected character in political discourse.
Speaker 2: At the donkey was in the Bible. Man. He ferried U, Jesus and Mary to whatever the wise men I don't remember the story.
Speaker 1: Alex Jones is zading donkeys these days, speaking of speaking of biblical terms for donkeys. So oh yeah, so uh we can. We can go back and forth and explore so many ins and outs. I think you hit on it, guys. The branding is what really set pass apart. The candy itself remained relatively consistent. It was the dispensers that changed.
Speaker 2: I think there have to be some people out there that genuinely enjoy Pez for the flavor. But I like I like it. I just don't like powdery Jockey candy.
Speaker 3: It's mostly nostalgia, yeah, Chris, but my parents would always get Alex and I Pez Spencer's for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Boy is it ever?
Speaker 3: Can I talk about one cool thing I found that Pez has done in the past for jury So they have done two seperate one and they did one for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, and they did one for uh, Prince William and Dutchess Kate, which it was they created like these Pez Spencer Limited run put up the auction and all proceeds when one time one was for Make a Wish Foundation, the other one was for Starlight Children's Foundation. So basically like, hey, we know you. I want to collect it, help us help you. You spend a bunch of money, we'll give it the charity.
Speaker 2: So good. I support that.
Speaker 1: I support uh. I support that probo or branding or merchandising, whatever we want to call it, for charitable causes. And I'm very, very interested in imagining what Jonathan Strickland aka the Quister pest dispenser looks like.
Speaker 2: It would look a lot like the Jean Luke Picard in my Star Wars set.
Speaker 1: Is the Jean Luke Pericard different or JPL as you say, is that different from the locutest? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah? Cutis? Is he has the Yeah? So what I'm saying, there's that guy where he's white and he's got the gear and the eye thingy.
Speaker 4: No, that would be cool though, shine, No, it's a pest dispenser, you know what I say that not knowing enough about you know, uh, are there some really mega bespoke pest dispensers that have moving parts that like like?
Speaker 2: Of course, I thought maybe we could up today's episode by naming a few other pretty pricey pez dispensers that have sold throughout the years, starting with of course the political Donkey, as we mentioned, that's the number one, so maybe we spoiled that one a little bit. But in nineteen fifties, clear space gun Pez Dispenser also sold in a year that is unknown for eleven thousand, two hundred and eleven dollars. And then the Prince Harry and Megan Markle one you mentioned was also a pretty pricey collector's item, although I don't imagine that money would go towards the make a Wish thing. It was just the initial sales, right.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess that's the that's the auction it is.
Speaker 2: That was the auction, Okay, So that was the reason that was so inflated was because it was specifically for like a once one, one of a kind kind of situation.
Speaker 1: I got it, And we want to end with a PSA fellow ridiculous historians Pez enthusiast as well. If you're buying a cap in hook Pez dispenser, it needs to have the soft head.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, what does that mean? I'm glad you asked picturing like as a plushy or something like that. I don't know how that would work.
Speaker 1: It means it means that they were for a time in nineteen seventy nine. During the late nineteen seventies, if we're being honest, for a couple of years, they were cheaper to produce than the typical plastic model, so there were a softer petroleum substance. But then in nineteen seventy nine, same year, the oil crisis hits and it becomes very expensive to make the soft head Captain hook. So if you were ever if you ever find yourself in a PEZ convention and you want to know who knows their business, look for the person who was just individually squeezing Captain hook Pez dispenser as avocados. Yeah, like avocado is just like produce.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't imagine these wouldn't be behind glass though, they wouldn't be letting you squeeze them. But maybe maybe with gloves on. You know, you could if you did happen to find one from your squeezings. You couldn't at about a grand from one of those.
Speaker 1: Uh yes, US dollars even today. I also want to mention you can get a for anybody looking for Halloween ideas. You could get a Pez container costume, and I think you can customize it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we mentioned this off air, But I mean it is a little bit macab the way the candies are essentially, you know, dispensed out of the neck hole of the head. It's you know, the thing goes all the way back at a very severe disturbing angle, and then a weird little rectangle of white candy pops out.
Speaker 1: Aren't there somewhere they've like sculpted the lower jon office.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's like looks like a hinged mouth, like a yeah, it's like a mouth, yeah, a million percent. It's weird, but it's one of those things that we just accept because it's just been It's another example that we run into all the time with history. Now this is state of the obvious of like people being first to market with something. We just grow to accept it, even if it's kind of weird. So where do we land? Are we all fans of pez I like to to Spenser's I think it's cool. Yeah, American kitch, you know, yeah, yeah, even though it's not Americana from Vienna. Yeah, Americana via Vienna. Yeah, there we go. That's fine.
Speaker 1: Apples are from Kazakhstan, and we say as American as apple pie.
Speaker 2: So rits are probably from somewhere in the levant you.
Speaker 1: Know there we go uh with that, We want to give a big, big shout out to our super producer mister Max Williams or research associate mister Max Williams, and our resident Pez model, perhaps non consentually, Jonathan Strickland aka the Quist.
Speaker 2: No, he would be so on board, he would love it. Oh yeah, yeah, now that I think about it, I want to say that at some point he either had made or someone had made a custom bobblehead of Jonathan Strickland. It was him, wizard. Yeah, it sounds about right. It sounds like something he would do. Huge thanks to Chris Frasciotis Ves Jeck Coates here in spirit, Alex Williams, brother of Max, who composed this slam and jam in theme tune that you're hearing right now, big.
Speaker 1: Big thanks to aj Bahama's Jacobs. Check out his show The Puzzler. We got a fellow Ben. He's a real expert on Badasses of the Week. He'll be joining us soon and of course grateful thanks to Megacube.
Speaker 4: Indeed, we'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.