Speaker 1: Hello Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the delicately folded puzzle Pastry at your Corner Bakery. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and today's guest is the delightful James Altacher. Author. He's a friend of mine, host of the James Altager Podcast, not your average podcast. Welcome James Altager. Aj.
Speaker 2: I've been marking the days down on my calendar until coming on the Puzzler Podcast. I'm so excited to be here. Thank you for inviting me. And I've even been training all morning in anticipation of this. I did word all on the New York Times. I did spelling beyond the New York Times. I did about sixty chest puzzles. I've got my puzzle mind going.
Speaker 1: I like that. Thank you for getting warmed up. We are excited to have you for several reasons. First, you're a great podcast or great writer. Second, we have known each other, we're longtime friends. And third, you have a great name for wordplay. I don't know if you noticed, but you have know this. You have not one, but two hidden words in your name, James Altager. Do you know them well?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's lots of words potentially right, So.
Speaker 1: Not mixing it up, just reading with the words. Well, letters just as they are. There's one o them. Oh, that's true, there's three. I was looking at the ones that span the two words.
Speaker 2: Oh, let me see, let me see.
Speaker 1: So there's one at the end.
Speaker 2: Well, there's there's mesa, you know, like, yes, mesa exactly. I've never thought of this before. This is really interesting. So do they have to span both words?
Speaker 1: Well, these two happen to span both words. Okay, right, jam is in there? H so mesa you have? Oh, there is a salt exactly, salt like.
Speaker 2: I've never thought of that before.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why we're here to help you, so you can know something to talk about at boast about uh at parties. I don't think I only have one. Maybe I'm wrong, Jake Cobbs, CEO bo.
Speaker 2: Wait, what's your first name?
Speaker 1: Well, my first real first name is Arnold. I'm trying. Oh Old, I'm an old. Oh I'm growing into my name. All right. Well that said, our actual puzzle has nothing to do with the hidden words in your name. I just wanted you to know, but it does revolve around your name because we love your initials. JA the mirror image of my initials. So we thought that this puzzle would be about other people and things that have the initial JA and what their podcast might be called if they had a podcast. So, for instance, if there were a podcast hosted by the second President of the United States, it would be the.
Speaker 2: John Adams John Adams Show.
Speaker 1: The John Adams Show exactly. Apparently he was a bit of a cantankerous pill, so might not be popular. Are you ready for the real ones?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought that was I was hoping that was a real one. I'm like, oh, this is easy. Give you more presidential trivia. Presidential trivia for two hundred aj we.
Speaker 1: Are gonna give you that one. We are just because we like you. That counts one for one. All right. This is a podcast hosted by a woman who was famous for her British novels featuring single men in possession of good fortunes and the ladies who loved them.
Speaker 2: Nineteen already a podcast? Oh Jane, Well, okay, Jane Austen probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Jane Austen Show exactly. I don't think. I mean, there's probably podcasts about Jane Austen, but she doesn't host.
Speaker 2: It was there any current podcasts involving this, but I couldn't think of a British there's I couldn't think of a British female author with JA.
Speaker 1: There's JK by the way. J One side note, Andrea Schomberg wrote this puzzle, but I tried to add to it by asking chat GBT for some other jas, and among their suggestions were Jimmy Hendrix and Jean Michel Basquiat. So I love that because it means we still have like six months before it takes over. All right, you're ready for your next podcast. This is a podcast about the era, the era of Flappers, Prohibition, speakeasies, guests like Duke Ellington and Elphitzgerald the JA. So it's not a person, not a person, It is a phrase this time.
Speaker 2: So it's like a Roaring twenties kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Duke Ellington and el Fitzgerald, they're more than Roaring twenties there.
Speaker 2: Right there, like Jazz the Jess Podcast exactly. Okay, I don't have to use JA as initial as abbreviation.
Speaker 1: It's just no no you jay no, no, it's jazz something the era, it's the era jazz.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on the jazz alternatives.
Speaker 1: Or the jazz it's the time period of.
Speaker 2: The jazz and alcohol prohibition period, Jazz and alcohol podcast.
Speaker 1: Jazz, the time period, the jazz age, the jazz age. You got it. We like to see you struggle a little humanizes you. By the way, this I didn't know until researching. Do you say era or era? Which do you say?
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny you asked that. So when I wrote the book Choose Yourself, the original title was to Choose Yourself Era, And I noticed whenever I said the title to people who were asking, oh, what's the title of your next book, everybody kept squinting and saying, did you just say that choose yourself? Error? Like? So, so that's when I I so, I think ERA sounds too much like error.
Speaker 1: Right, especially if you have like a Boston or Brooklyn accent the era era? So did you switch to era?
Speaker 2: No? I just took out the word, said choose yourself.
Speaker 1: There you go, and it was a hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I think books that sound like a call to action.
Speaker 1: Do well, oh interesting, just ordering people around. They like being told what to do. All right, Well, next one, just so you know, era is correct. It's the British pronunciation, and era is the American. So I guess I'm an Anglo phile because I say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why did you say correct about the British pronunciation? Why is that correct?
Speaker 1: I have a soft spot? All right? Are we ready a couple more? This is a podcast where you interview athletes who play a high speed ball game beloved by gamblers. It's played by with wicker baskets on their hands. You ever see that often in Florida?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, the Highlight podcast?
Speaker 1: Exactly, the Highlight Show. All right.
Speaker 2: At first I was thinking lacrosse, but the wicker basket.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, that lacrosse has an a in it. But but no, Jay, all right, all right, this is this one is hard. I actually didn't don't think I would get this. But this is a show about a type of candy consisting of a certain nut covered in colorful hard candy shells.
Speaker 2: It's to wait, say it again. This is a show about a candy that's covered.
Speaker 1: In hard candy shells and they're like different pastel colors. I did not really. I don't think I knew that it rang a bell when I heard it, but I wouldn't have been able to come up with it. That's why I decided to give it to you, because I.
Speaker 2: Kind of forget like jelly beans and all almond.
Speaker 1: You got Almond. Now, the first word is sort of like the uh Chicago Bulls, Chicago Bulls basketball player Michael.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't know the greatest basketball player of all time, Michael, that one. You do know? You know, I happen to know Michael Jordan, right, So you put them together, Almond and Jordan, and you've got the Jordan Almond Show, the Jordan Amend Show.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would not have known that. There's no they are the only what is the Jordan Almond?
Speaker 1: You will definitely recognize that if you see it, it's like it's very eastery. I feel it's it's like pastel pinks and yellows. But I get the feeling that most other people know Jordan Almend's all right, Well you did very well except for the Jordan Almond. But I didn't know that either, So thank you, Jameon.
Speaker 2: It's good puzzles, good puzzle making. I didn't really know. I sometimes trivia is a little hard. It depends if you like are an expert in that area.
Speaker 1: That's right, exactly we try to veer more towards puzzles than trivia. But I guess there's a little crossover. Where can people find more James Altacher content?
Speaker 2: You know, I think they should listen to any podcast episode that includes both you and me. So we've done a bunch of We've done like twenty podcasts together, and now they can listen to the Puzzler and hear us.
Speaker 1: On this show exactly. And we did a special series called Good or Bad Like our dogs overall good for the world are bad for the role. I voted good, but which is a hot.
Speaker 2: I voted bad? And now I have two dogs, a tiny one and a German shepherd.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you doomed yourself. It was fastiny Hubris.
Speaker 2: Probably everything I said was bad. I probably now have I sent kids to college. I said college was bad.
Speaker 1: You did argue colleges I.
Speaker 2: Own a home. I said owning a home was bad. You are full of such a hypocrite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's terrific. All right, Well, thank you, James, And as always, before we wrap up, we have an extra credit for the puzzlers at home. This is a podcast where the host reads resumes of those seeking employment. You'll get the answer to the extra credit next episode and puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler Podcast. If you're enjoying it, tell your friends, maybe even rate it even five stars, and we'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 2: Hello puzzlers. Greg Klisker here with the extra credit answer from our previous episode we did food Charades with Dan Pashman. Your extra credit clue was this product made by maiden Form, dog Breed, border Blank and football player Gronkowski.
Speaker 1: Those three parts are ra Collie and Rob and you put them together and you get broccoli Rob.
Speaker 2: Enjoy your broccoli, Rob, and come back here and enjoy more of the Puzzler Podcast with AJ Jacobs