Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make a decision that's going to be best for.
Speaker 2: You and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host with Shan McDonald.
Speaker 1: Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe the size of your Aham, It's time to stop reading other.
Speaker 2: People's success stories to start living your own. Keep winning.
Speaker 1: My next guest can be seen on several NFL Network television series or shows, including Thursday Night Football twenty first in prime NFL Game Day. He is also a Pro Football Hall of Famer former Major League Baseball player who's the only athlete.
Speaker 2: To player on both the Super Bowl and the World Series.
Speaker 1: Coach Philanchepists and father please welcome the Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 3: Dion Sanders, Rishon Rishond Baby, we finally owned it together. I miss you, man.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you something. This is greatful.
Speaker 1: You to say that because Dion's a special person to me, and you know, our relationship is unique in itself because he's a natural motivator. That's why this is a relationship. We've been knowing each other about fifteen to fifteen years for sure, and he know I've always been inspired by his natural gifts.
Speaker 2: Why are you just such a natural motivator, Dion?
Speaker 3: And I think it's something that I saw as a child. I saw a mother who worked careless just so ends could see one another because they never met. I saw a father that struggled with drug addiction, stepfather that struggled with alcoholism. I saw an inner city that I was engulfed in that I lived in and then I resided, and that was headed nowhere in no direction. And something inside of me said, you could take a little bit of this from your mama. You could take a little bit of that and from this. You can take a little bit of that and be whatever you want to be. And no one can stop you if you focus and put your mind to it. No one can stop you if you don't quit. And that was the formula.
Speaker 1: Now, but you know, but you, but you you You describe a background or an environment where there are nothing but roadblocks in life. But you have this natural I can win personality. Da You know that at.
Speaker 3: Prime time things different posh and I see things different, Like like, I'm a football coach and some days it rains, And the first thing I do, the coaches say, well, prim it may rain today. I say, what's a percentage. They say, well, it's a forty percent chance it's gonna rain. I say, what that means is a sixty percent chance. It ain't right. That's just the way I look at that. I just always look at the positive. And everything negative is easy to see. It's easy to really it's easier to take a chance with it. But the positive is something that people overlook. We always think about what we don't have instead of thinking about what we do.
Speaker 1: Because here's the thing about them, I don't know, you know, we must be like this moon be circling whatever. I'm down or something. And I'm one of those guys who stay up all the time. I can always get a text from you. Keep your head up, brother. You know the blessings are going to come your way.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I know you just don't do it for me, but you still take the time to remind your friends.
Speaker 2: There's always a brighter day. That's amazing, Sean.
Speaker 3: I have a text list of a couple hundred people that they've been getting my texts over twenty years every morning between certain hours now I'm off on weekend, but Monday through Friday, they get it. Like, for instance, this morning, say get yourself together and do what you know you need to do and be what you desire to be. Trim the fat off your life. Right now he's holding you back, and you know it. Truth, just a simple That's the first thing to hit my spirit when I woke up this morning, and I put it.
Speaker 2: Out and guess what, and it's received.
Speaker 1: And the thing about it is that Deanna has always known me because yeah, I see him as a talented, handsome, articulate, entertaining guy, and but he always put family.
Speaker 2: First and kids first.
Speaker 1: When I say kids, I'm talking about his youth program, his educational program. Because I would tell him, Man, let's go to LA do a sitcom, Let's go to LA do a talk show, Let's go to New York. He said, Rasha, can you do your talk show on one day?
Speaker 3: You know what. We've had some real conversations like that too. Man, It's like bron you could do this like okay, but but can they shoot him in Dallas? You know, because I'm telling you that you're you're exactly right. You're you're not lying, but well, first of all, you don't lie anyway, but by any means, you are telling the truth. Because I understand what's my purpose is tied to my passion. You know, if I'm not passionate about it, it cannot be my purpose. And God blesses what I'm passionate about, and them things I want to do, but it ain't me. I would love to do it, but it ain't me. And you got the decipher in your life between what you are are you really passionate about and God would bless it? Or things that you want to do, And it's like deciding between needs and wants. Once upon a time, I used to go and get whatever I want it because I had you know, that type of cash, and you could get whatever you want it. Now it's all about your needs. You still have the resources, I still have the finances to do it, but now I'm more importantly focused on my needs.
Speaker 2: Not right right right?
Speaker 1: And you and your family too and what they can do and what they and the legacy and that, but I want to tell everybody about that. You know, we laugh about it, but I just want to let everybody and know. It's something about what's important to not only you, but the people that you impact along the way. And that's important to you because, like I said, like you said, you know you've done. You've been an incredible baseball player, an incredible football player, or.
Speaker 2: The entertainer in the music industry.
Speaker 1: You acted, You've done all these things, but it all came back to what you can do for the next person. And you have turned down millions, flared about millions of opportunities. I say that's negative, because you felt that there was a better opportunity to change lives.
Speaker 3: This part of my piece, it is part of my purpose, ties me to my piece. So when I'm acting in my purpose now I activate my piece. Perfect example, we had a high school baseball game and I took most members of the team to this piece of property that I own in nine acres lake, I mean ac rich and I'm sitting up there with the guys in a circle and I'm teaching them about life and property. I say, see, let me tell you something. Somebody could go out there and buy a Rose Wars Phantom, which is going to be four hundred and fifty maybe a half a million dollars. Time you drive their car off the lot, that depreciates thirty percent. And now that's what you're dealing with. Then it's a new car. Come my next year. People want that. It's a new one. So your car constantly depreciates. Now you could buy this property for the same costs, and not only will it appreciate, but now you get to the point where I'm willing it down to my son. Right then he's keeping it in the family for his sons. It constantly appreciates, and you can enjoy year after year after year, and just teaching them little things like that that we don't think about and no one teaches us.
Speaker 1: And that's a big thing, because you know, I was talking to a gentleman in Houston and he's throwing a documentary on black farmers how they're losing their land because the younger generation they see the land as they don't see the value in the land, and they just sell it.
Speaker 2: And so black farmers are losing their property.
Speaker 1: But as they always say, God's not making more earth, okay earth, He's not making more land.
Speaker 3: You don't make them more But see, that's why I love you, my brother, because I mean, and you downplay it because you're a humble person. But the times that I've called you for advice on the next move for a career, I mean, you're looking at it as you're looking at it as a person who's been there, done that, a person who is not just looking at his own come up, but looking at men saying, okay, for you, this is what's best for you. But we can talk about those type of things because we have that type of relationship, right But oftentimes men, men of color and men of status, we never even conversate with each other because we're so busy competing and that's ignorant. So you've never been that way, and I appreciate you for it.
Speaker 2: Can I be? Can I be?
Speaker 1: And that's why because because a person like you, who I followed your entire career. And before we go to the next break, I want to talk about how did you because see, branding is the word just thrown around by everybody. Everybody got a brand, everybody said they are brand.
Speaker 2: For prid time.
Speaker 1: How did you figure it out? Because man, you're a legend dude, you're a legend. I look at the NFL combines, I look at those players call you on Sunday nights on your show. They all know the who you are, and that means that you're very relevant. But to the modern day player, and a lot of players can't do that, they can't feel how they can just still be themselves and relatable. But Prime Time, the branding machine, is very relatable.
Speaker 3: Why well, First and foremost, I think people are crazy and they understand that it's not October, it ain't Halloween. They know who's trick or treat nowadays, and they know what's real. They know it's genuine, and they know when I talk to them, when I articulate myself to them, it's no motive. There's nothing behind the curtains that I'm trying to get garnish from them because I have means and I have ways. But this is all started in college. Man. I played a position that wasn't handsomely paid, and I forfeited an opportunity to play professional baseball out of high school because I rolled the dice on myself. That's something that I don't bet in Vegas, but I'm gonna bet on Prime all day long. So I said, you know what, I'm gonna go to college and play this football thing because my goal and my dream is to retire my mama for the rest of her life. And once this eight, yeah, once this agent showed me the finances that a cornerback commands in the NFL, I was upset, I was saying, because I started reflecting. I started to reflect on the opportunities that passed out of high school. What did I start thinking about? Okay, this type of money that they're paying d.
Speaker 2: D hold that thought, man, hold that thought.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have more own How the prime time came about in college?
Speaker 2: On our next break with Dion Sanders, Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations masterclass hosted by Rushawn McDonald. How does Rashan McDonald?
Speaker 1: You're listening to Money Making Conversations And before we left, we was talking to my main man, Deon Sanders, and he was telling us about the evolution of prime time. Now, Diane, you were saying that you could have played baseball straight out of high school, pro baseball, but you opted to play football at the defensive back position for the Florida State. Then you got to what your agent you realize how much money was being made that the evolution of prime time started to you all talk to us about that.
Speaker 3: Well, let me slow it down. It was Asians trying to solicit me up until my sophomore year, so they knew I was going to be a baseball player as well as a football player, so they were soliciting me early. And one happened to send me the status of how much defensive backs made in the NFL, and I was alarmed that they were one of the worst paid positions. It really upset me, so I really sat down. Now you better understand. In nineteen eighty five, I came to Florida State where the Firebird where the front license Tate you said Primetime. I thought it was my nickname out of high school, so I already had the moniker. So now it was just enacting it and really marketing it and saying to myself, you know what, I got to create something that surpasses any defensive back in the game because I got the goods, So now I got to give you the drama in the game and the intellect and the savviness and the sponge an antea and I sat in my dormitory room with a black book and wrote down probably about twenty five to fifty quotes that I would say after the game, and I memorized it. It was like if I had a great game, they say, I was like, yeah, yeah, I'm the best thing since Peter but a jelly baby, I thought y'all knew and those things would go national. So now this this added attention, and now they were getting much more than just the defence back. They was getting someone of an entertainer, somewhat of a person who would command people to come see and play, whether they hated them or loved them. And that's what prime time. The brand had came and I just materialized it in my dormitory room in college.
Speaker 1: But not nobody hated you. Now, I'll tell you them when it came to returning.
Speaker 3: Punchs, opposing teams, opposing teams there.
Speaker 2: For they respected you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna just tell you something, man, because everybody wanted you on their team.
Speaker 2: Now it was fear. See.
Speaker 1: See, I'm just when I used to watch you because I was I'm from Texas and I'm just watching this this this guy just just doing some things that I had never seen before with style, with articulation, you know, and then when did the high step, you know, going in the end zone with the touchdown?
Speaker 2: When did that come about? What was the evolution of man?
Speaker 3: That's seven years old plans for the Fort Myns rebels and Fort Mynes flaughter. Man, that means, you know, that's what That's what Walter Payton did when he was in the pros and we grew up watching him. But that's that's the things that we emulated. Then we got an the end zone and we did the Billy Wright shoes Johnson the way back in the day. I mean, we danced because it was a happy time and life and a happy moment. And we knew that no one in my family matriculated to college. Man, no one went to college, right, that wasn't even a thought. So being in the first and being someone that said, you know, I'm gonna get out of here because the only thing was getting us out was the armed forces or job corps, that's the only thing that's or jail, that's what people was leaving to go to. And it tripped me out. Someone was getting ready to go to prison for twenty years and they throwing them a party in the crib I'm like, what's wrong with y'all? Man, hein't going to jail. That's to celebrate, right, And that's just all that kind of stuff that changed my life. It just changed my whole thought process that I got to get up out of here.
Speaker 1: Now this is now. Now you're a legend in so many ways. First of all, the forty second time at the NFL Combine. You know, I know, John Ross supposedly broke your record against what whatever. Okay, you were able to run that fat and become a Hall of Famer. Now, the thing I love about you is that you talked about Billy white hues. Johnson, I knew the little chicken wing leg. But players are still doing the.
Speaker 2: Prime time stroll in the end zone.
Speaker 1: See See, That's why I know why you're still relevant because people, the people, the players still understand that they can communicate with you.
Speaker 2: And it shows every.
Speaker 1: Time at the NFL Combine like this, every type a player came over you, whether it was white or black. They knew they could relax and talk like I would say, real to Dionne.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: That's that's correct, Because I'm there too give them to give to them, to make the support them to encourage them, and a lot of players that I'm fond of that I meet for the first time. I can myself. Man, if you got a problem, man call me. Man, call me before the house catch on fire. Man. I want you to call me when you think you smell smoke so I can help you get up out of there. You said the same, Yeah, yeah, I just I just love these kids, man, and I don't want them to make the same mistakes I made because there was no communication or conversation. Because when you reach that level, no one wants to help you, No one wants to talk to you, and then you can't turn to your family members. They ain't never been nowhere. I mean, how you gonna tell me about how to how to balance this check book and how to how to understand what I need to purchase and what I don't need to purchase. And you ain't never had none, I don't. It was no one to talk to in your family because you're supporting the entire family and friends.
Speaker 1: Now that goes back to albom saying. Is that is that you have to have a supporting group around you that not only believe in your brand, but that you can trust. How did you come about developing that strong support base that protects you but also advises you, but also to challenge you.
Speaker 3: For foolish mistakes. I made some idiotic mistake, and you learn from trialing the era. I had a gentleman that blessed me that passed away a few years ago, named Eugene Parker, African American agent, one of the powerhouse agents in the game. And Eugenie and I met when I was still in college, and he oversaw my entire career. He was always saved, always went home to his wife, always was a man of God, always a good person. And he allowed me to develop into what I am now. But he never pushed me, never shoved me, because he know it would have been too premature. So he let me get a lot of things out of my system. But also he would guide me. The thing about a cut man in the corner and a coach in the corner. In a boxing man, she's telling you left, right, left, right, But when you get hit, all that stuff throws you off. And I was hit a few times, you know, by some nonsense that I didn't expect. He was always there telling me what was wrong, right and what was wrong. So I really had no catastrophic ignorance in my life. I had some bull jump that I can't control that divorces and all that kind of message. We that's just being a man and foolish living. But all together, I kind of kept it on the road.
Speaker 1: Get on, I want to talk about Prime five. That's a twenty one million dollar fundraising initiative. There was well, tell us more about that, Yeah, daid for love it.
Speaker 3: Man. Man, you got to understand, man, poverty is running rapid and now in the cities. Man, and and and we got to have comprehensive, individualized solutions. Man. And I constructed this thing called Private Prime five with the Coke Family, the Coke Network. It's caned to stand together. That's who oversees it. These organizations man to tackle poverty from different angles. We deal with chronic unemployment, family breakdown, addiction and trauma, personal debt, educational failure, and these type of things run rapid in our inner cities. Man and I've got a collected group were raising twenty one million. We already over halfway there. And we're we're funding different groups around the inner city that's been doing it for years. We're just giving them the resources, the structure, the mentors and everything so they could have a scalable impact on society and these inner cities. And we're tackling the poverty at every angle. Man, We're going to do it. We're doing well. I love what we're doing. I love to see the smiles on the people's faces. I love being able to do something for someone that cannot even reciprocate the gesture. That's who I am, Rashana. You know that. And I love the life I live, and I live the life I love.
Speaker 1: And that's why I love about the whole to bring you on the show, because people need to see so many layers and so many layers of individual like you as an entertainer, you know, and you're so you're so relevant and you're so current.
Speaker 2: But I just loved it. Prime five is who he is. And I'm just.
Speaker 1: Telling you, guys, is that is that he knows me. Every every couple of years, I go, hey, yeah, let's go do a television show. He goes with shot where y'all go tape the show at And Dallas is your home and you're giving back and and and and I you know, and and I'm gonna keep coming because you wanted.
Speaker 3: You want to endless people? Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Endless people are ready for shot?
Speaker 3: I do it ready.
Speaker 2: I know because he can cook people.
Speaker 3: He can cook it, he.
Speaker 2: Can dance, he can wrap. He you know, he has an endlessly You know, one of those black don't crack people.
Speaker 3: You need to stop putting all of those good looking food on social media. Man, I'm trying to stay fine. I'm trying to stay fit. And every time I look at one of those pictures that you have cooked up something, Bettery crock ain't got nothing on you. You gotta stop.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: This is what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Man, This we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: Man, We're gonna go to the NFL network. Me and you gonna do a cooking and baking show. Looked at the NFL network because all these football players can cook and bake. And we're gonna go from city to city and take a show, me and you hosting. Brother, You're gonna be cook and barbecue and I'm gonna be bacon. That's what we go do for NFL network.
Speaker 3: Cook eating everything you cooked. But we just do that.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do it, though, he d thank you for coming on the show. Man, Hey, brother.
Speaker 1: You know how I feel about you, man, the one at all time Greats.
Speaker 3: Deon Sanders, thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Master Class. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc.
Speaker 2: More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc.
Speaker 3: Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts