Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Guiltiest Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host as always, and joining me is my guy Tyler.
Speaker 1: Tyler, what something? How are you doing today?
Speaker 3: Doing well? Staying hydrated?
Speaker 2: Yes, staying hydrated for sure. Welcome back, mister Denzel Perryman. Should be a lot of fun to see the reunion. The prank call video sat Derwlin he was gonna take number three was a nice touch today. So I got a lot to talk about today. Of course, it is that time of the month. We are going to be joined to by mister Trevor Sikima to dive into everything draft related from the Keenan Allen trade as well as the Minnesota Vikings trade that happened last weekend, and some of the other free agency tidbits that the Chargers have been able to do, how the draft formsifications stack up, from signing Bradley Boseman and and things like that.
Speaker 1: So should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: After that interview, we'll jump back on here and we're gonna talk some Keenan Allen legacy. So we wanted to make sure we honored him in the way that he deserves. So I'm gonna have some great conversations with Trevor. Then we'll have some good conversation about keenan A on the other side before we get started. As always, Tyler and I are fans of the team just like you guys are. The opinions that we share on this channel every single week are just that there our opinions that we're very grateful to have this platform with the Chargers and excited to dive in today's show.
Speaker 1: That being said, here is mister Trevor Sikima.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, very happy now to be joined by mister Trevor Sikima. You've heard him on the show several times at this point, hopefully you have converted to be a Stock Exchange member, faithful listener of the pod. We appreciate Trevor for coming on and again, as as always, Trevor, what's up and how you doing tonight?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great, guys. I gotta say like sometimes, you know, I'll go through and do you know reoccurring podcasts with teams and there's not a lot of talk about you know, it's a very quiet, you know, free agency or just overall off season. Not the case with the Chargers. You all have had new GM, new head coach, big free agent moves, the teams look at different you're gonna do, what could they do with the draft? All these possibilities, and so it's great to be with you because of the conversations that we're going to have here on this show. I have naturally in my own personal life as well when I'm just talking to all my friends. So I'm excited for this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if this were last year, it would have been a much much more boring conversations. The Chargers were strapped with cash, same same coaching staff, everything, and they had the twenty first pick instead of the fifth pick. So a lot more possibilities this year. So yes, we'll dive right in. You mentioned the big free agency move. We'll talk about the draft ramifications here, and I mean, just like from a reactionary you know level here, I mean, you cover the sport, you know for a living, right that as fans of the team, we were shocked, gutted by the news of the Keenan Allen trade. Yeah, for you, was that something you expected to happen? And what was just kind of your surface level reaction when you saw that news late on Thursday night last week.
Speaker 4: Look, we knew that the Chargers were going to have to make some moves, right We saw the guys at the top of the list who are big cap casualties or potential cap casualties for this year. You know, all the cap space that was wrapped up into Mike Williams and Keenan Allen and Joey bos and Khalil Mack. And I think if you asked most people, they tell you, okay, rank most likely to least likely of those four that would actually no longer be on the team. Pretty sure Keenan Allen would be like ninety percent of the time number four on that list. And that's where it was for me. I was just very, very shocked that a franchise legend, obviously is out the door. This is somebody who has been a staple identity for the Chargers, you know, throughout so many different parts of their franchise over the last ten years. He's somebody who has been a staple like within not just for Chargers fans, but like I said, he's just he's always been known with that team. If you play fantasy football, you obviously are very fond of Keenan Allen and everything that he has been for you as a heavy volume guy throughout the years while he was in the Chargers organization, and so I was just super shocked. Man I, look, it's it's a business at the end of the day, and you don't There just are not many instances where you get that true storybook wire to wire guy stays with the same team throughout his whole career. Normally there's some sort of blip in that they'll maybe go to a team late in their career, but you know they'll come back, they'll retire on the team, all that kinds of stuff. But man, I was still with all that to say, I was so shocked to see Keenan Allen no longer as a member of the Chargers. It's gonna take some getting used to seeing him in a different jersey for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was in high school when he joined the team, and I'm going on twenty nine now, so it's been a minute since he's been on the team. We had done a live stream right before or we got off. Five minutes later the news broke. We jumped back on and we were just in agony over the move. We said anything constructive or useful. We were just going through certain emotions. Go check it out if you want have fun, it's just us in agony. Do you want to see me miserable for an hour?
Speaker 3: Go watch it.
Speaker 5: So now the million dollar question, and they also of course released Mike Williams. What do the Chargers do at five? Maybe more so do they need to get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all of a sudden, you feel things at number five. Shoot over the last i'd say week, week and a half have gotten way more interesting, right, because it's a very good wide receiver class, especially at the very top. You know, I've been on here on this show and we've talked about Marvin Harrison Junior, We've talked about Molie Neighbors, Romadounza. How I think you can PLoP them and basically most teams in the NFL, and if they're not the wide receiver one, they're a high end wide receiver two. And so that's how talented all of these guys are. I think any of them, if you put them on the Chargers deep chart a probably lead the team in targets. So with those guys in range of being picked, what do you do at number five? Because and the reason why I say it's been an interesting week is because you guys know, Minnesota trades for the number twenty three overall, pick their eye and a trade up for a quarterback. So you go, okay, well, what are the pinpoints of where we think they could trade up to. It's basically Arizona at four, because I don't think New England's going to get out of two, and I don't think that Washington's Sorry, I don't think the Washington's gonna get out of two. I don't think New England's going to get out of three. So see the Arizona Cardinals at four? Where's the Los Angeles Charges at five? That I think Minnesota is really going to be pushing to move up with. So that just becomes very very interesting because it's it's wide receiver we're talking about. Right. If they stay, it's well, they could take offensive line, but we think that it's going to be a wide receiver on the heels of the news. If you don't have Mike Williams, you don't have Keenan Allen. Now it's just Quentin Johnson and he was disappointing last year. Can you really go into next year?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 4: I think they think he's going to get better, But can you go into next year really saying this guy is gonna be our wide receiver one, even for somebody who I liked a lot coming out of TCU, that's a heavy ask. And so that all of a sudden becomes an incredible debate. And I think that it even gets very interesting if Minnesota doesn't trade up with them. Let's say Minnesota trades up to four. Right, so now you've got four quarterbacks. Did we think you're gonna go off the board? One, two, three, four? Guess who's gonna be sitting there on the board at five. Now you're talking about, okay, do we want to trade down or do we want Marvin freakin Harrison Junior? Which we didn't think that that was gonna be a possibility, right. Oh, he could have gone three, he could have gone four, like there was no chance he was gonna get to five. And now a reality exists where he could be the player who is on the board for them, and they might have to choose between a massive trade down if that's kind of what they're still eyeing, if they want to get more picks. But it's different when you're also talking about passing up on a player like that. So it's a fascinating ripple effect that we are seeing with the Chargers getting rid of Keenan Allen and Mike Williams now having just such a massive need at wide receiver and that being the position that is very rich at the spot that they happen to hold right now amidst a lot of trade rumors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned just kind of like what we thought would happen, and like it in my head, I'm looking at pick number five two weeks ago and saying, Okay, if quarterbacks go one through three, Marvin Harrison four, great, you can trade down for a quarterback. You know, on the outside chance the quarterbacks going through four, you could still trade down and have a team move up for a wide receiver because you have Keenan Allen. Well, now you don't have Keenan Allen. And it's just it just like changes your mindset of how you approach this. And of course we're fans your draft media. The team is still going to, I think approach this in the same way. I think they're gonna want to try to get out. But Daniel Jeremiah had them trading out of five today in his mock draft, the Jets came up from Marvin Harrison Junior, who just sigded Mike Williams. I don't know that would change that much for the Jets. But what realistically would be the hall if Marvin Marvin Harrison Junior is there five and the charters say, hey, league, come get this generational wide receiver prospect. What do you think the charters could get in a trade down for a team coming up from Marbin Harrison junior.
Speaker 4: Yeah. One, I wonder when I say personal, I don't I don't really mean like personal in a negative way. I think that when people hear that, they automatically think, like, oh, it's personal. That means it's negative. But I wonder how personal this is for Jim Harbaugh specifically as the person who had to go up against Marvin Harrison Junior twice and Martin Harrison Junior went for over one hundred yards in a touchdown in both of the appearances that Ohio State played against Michigan. Right, Michigan wins both of those games, Sure, but like that, dude's cooking us on the outside and for one of those mission is a great corner too. Will Johnson is going to be a first round pick next year. So like he's producing against Will Johnson and and and Jim Harbaugh knows how talented he is. So it's like, I wonder if that personal touch of it makes the even harder to pass up on him if he is right there. You know the answer to your question, though, it all kind of depends where they're going. And I know that's kind of a cop out, but who would be wanting to trade up for Harrison? Right? You could move maybe one spot down with the Giants who would love to get themselves Marvin Harrison Junior, and you can maybe sell it to them as like, hey, the our phones are open, we're listening to you guys, but we're talking to other teams as well that might want to move up from him. If you really want to, you can move down one spot. So for that, I mean, you're not going to get too much in return for a move down from five to six, especially when a quarterback is not involved. But you know, I think Chicago at nine all of a sudden becomes a realistic target, right because I don't think the Chargers want to move down too far, and the Bears they have Caleb Williams and I get it. They don't have a lot of draft picks this year, but they could sell some future draft picks to say to themselves, Look, we spent in free agency last year, we spent in free agency this year. We're getting Kayla Williams the number one overall pick. Go get Marvin Harrison junior too, Like, do what it takes, and just that offense. Man, that's Keenan Allen, It's Marvin Harrison junior. It's it's it's DJ Moore, It's Cole Kmett, it's Gerald Everett, It's it's uh it's DeAndre Swift like it's Roshawn Johnson, it's Khalil Herbert. Like, all of a sudden, what more could you genuinely want?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, like the offensive line, Yeah, maybe you could have a couple of upgrades here. But at that point, Ryan Poles gets to say, my cards are on the table. I did everything that I could do as a general manager. So either Ibra flues figures it out, or we go into next year and I can I can point to the evidence of how all in I was for this team, and we go get a head coach. They could really take us over the top. To me, I think Chicago at number nine becomes a major player in a trade up to number five. If we're not talking about a quarterback being the player that the trade down for, you know, you can talk about how you know, maybe Denver, now that they move on from Jerry Judy, would they want to do that? I guess so, you know, New Orleans maybe because they move on from from Mike Thomas, but they've still got Shaheed, They've still got chrys Olave. And you can't really get too much further down right, I mean, maybe you're at a point where the Chargers wanted to trade with Jacksonville. I guess at seventeen, who all of a sudden needs a wide receiver one? But do you really want to go from five to seventeen? I mean the price to do that to make you worth the Chargers while would be multiple first round picks, I think to get to that point. So these are just the you know, as you asked that question, and I haven't really had the time to think about it. That's kind of what comes to my head immediately of certain points and teams that might be interested to move up from Marvin Harrison Junior if they would want to do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, great calls there because obviously, obviously the Chargers and the Bears the trades together, that's a possibility for sure, and historically they've done that absolutely.
Speaker 3: And then with the Jaguars, not exactly that.
Speaker 5: You're Hertz call, but the Ravens have traded with the Jaguars five separate times since twenty eleven for picks, for players, et cetera.
Speaker 3: So that is possible.
Speaker 5: The next question, and the guy that's maybe the most involved in the spot for the Chargers at five is JJ McCarthy. And I want to ask this question a bit differently. Why is JJ McCarthy not a Malik Willis situation in terms.
Speaker 3: Of draft hype?
Speaker 5: Because this was a guy that was Ramlik Willis was fourteenth on the consensus board and went several several picks later in the third round.
Speaker 3: Why is this need yah see that situation?
Speaker 4: I think to twenty twenty that was the twenty twenty two class, right, So I think the twenty twenty two class was tough. There wasn't really a good quarterback that I think a team could really play at their flag on. But as you guys know, and a lot of football fans out there know, teams just take a swing at these quarterbacks because they have to. Right, just because a draft class doesn't have good quarterbacks doesn't mean there aren't teams out there who don't have quarterback needs. Right, every single year, there are teams that have quarterback needs. And so draft media was obviously very wrong on these quarterbacks because we can evaluate them from a tape standpoint and maybe a potential standpoint. And I think if you ask people like with Willis, sure, I mean there's things that that are great that he brought to the table with it, but there were serious inconsistencies about his game even when he was at Liberty, Right, So in a perfect world, you probably didn't want to give him anything better than a second round grade, even for as much as you might have liked him. But we all as draft evaluators and maybe couldn't, you know, consensus board makers just think to ourselves, I mean, it's the NFL, They're going to draft one of these guys high. And so I think that that class there was a lot of fool's gold, and for a lot of people, like when I remember that class, it kind of felt were you a Desmond Ritterer guy or were you a Kenny Pickett guy, right, did you trust the tape of which guy more? Because there were it was kind of one of those was probably your QB one, and then Willis was probably QB two. Nom matter what. So, I think Willis gets elevated on those consensus board rankings because he was just that consensus like he was always up there. You know, he was always in that number two spot. So no matter if you kind of believe that Desi Ritter and you know, the height, little bit better arm, or you believe that Kenny Pickett and the incredible final year that he had at Pittsburgh and just that run that he had there in that final season, like whichever one you were on brought him to QB one. And I guess Sam Howe too, right, There's there's plenty of people who believed in Sam Howe to be a potential QB one. It just felt like Malik Willis was always that, Okay, it's this guy, and then I'll probably put Maleak And I think that's the reason why he ended up being a little bit higher on those consensus boards because there wasn't as much variance on him. People went, oh mobile quarterback, big arm. The NFL is gonna give him a chance. We're gonna draft him in the first round. But I really feel as though the NFL just didn't like that class overall, and very clearly how they drafted him. That's been how they drafted them. That has been the case, and I just don't think that there's that same sort of feeling for this class right now. I think the feeling for these guys is legit. The only one that we have now heard the teams seem to be a little bit wish you washed me on is Drake May, which I think is absolutely silly. But there is a lot of love for JJ McCarthy that I genuinely believe is real. I think the same thing for Jade and Daniels. Maybe not enough for Jayden to go to We'll see how that plays out on Draft night, but I don't think McCarthy is in that similar situation like with Will, like Will Levis as well with somebody who just forty eight hours up until Draft day last year. I remember Willis in the betting market, his odds to go number two overall spiked skyrocketed, and we went, WHOA, Okay, somebody knows something about something, and we all kind of scrambled on our final mock drafts, and we're like, okay, well, the betting markets Vegas ain't in the business to lose money, so they're doing something. They got to be doing something on purpose. So we all put Will Levis kind of in the top ten. We're like, okay, he's going top ten. He doesn't even go to the second round. So it's a great question because there always seems to be this quarterback that seems to be a little bit of fool's gold in their hype.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: You go back to twenty twenty one as well. I remember when mac Jones was supposed to go number three overall. Now he doesn't slide too far. He was at fifteen, but again, he was the pawn. It felt like Willis a couple of years ago was the pawn. That sounds insulting, but you guys know what I'm saying, the same thing Will lev Us. You know Levis last year, and so I just don't think McCarthy's the pawn. I really don't. I think that the love for him is legit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it's funny because obviously we're fans of a team coach by Jim Harbaugh and like the second day he was hired, he was like JJ McCarthy should be the first quarterback taken and we were like wait what no, and now like.
Speaker 4: Oh, you don't say, you don't say.
Speaker 2: But specifically from a GM standpoint, I think everybody kind of knows that the Cardinals GM money Austin Fourth and the Chargers GM Joe Ortiz at this point are open for business. It sounds like, what are the chances really that the Cardinals would pass on Marvin Harrison Junior for a trade package? You know now that the Vikings have eleven and twenty three because you look at the Cardinals roster, they just traded away Rondelle Moore, right, Hollywood Brown is It's Kansas City chief right now. And for the longest time, it's been like blinking me on sign Marvin Harrison JUNIORR four. What would you say the chances realistically are that the Cardinals do end up passing on him for in favor of a trade down with the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 4: I wish I had a better answer in terms of like, hey, this is the percentage that I'm sure that I think that it would happen. But it's tough because you look at a general manager who doesn't have much of a track, you know, it just doesn't have much of a background, I should say, a history to how he's going to operate things. The only thing that we really have to go off of is last year, and last year he wouldn't afraid of wheeling deal right. He went from he went from three to twelve to six, got an extra first round pick out of it, and was able to pick the guy at number six that he would have picked at number three. So that is why I love the Cardinals draft the other guys that they drafted. I love Michael Wilson, I love Garrett Williams. So I think that they drafted very very well. That to me, his willingness to do that makes me think that they might not be too scared to Let's say, let's say they get eleven and twenty three, because remember they already have twenty seven as well. So let's say they get eleven, they get twenty three, and then they have twenty seven. But they've also got a I can pull it up here, So they.
Speaker 1: Have like seven picks in the top sixty or something crazy.
Speaker 4: Like they have right now, they have four. They have twenty seven they have thirty five, they have sixty six, and they have seventy one. Oh and they have ninety that's all in the top one hundred picks. That's crazy. So what the Cardinals could do, and the reason I feel they might actually have the guts to trade out at number four and pass on Marvin Harrison Junior is because if they go, all right, we'll go from four to eleven, you go from four to eleven, and then all of a sudden, if you're sitting there at eleven, all right, JJ McCarthy goes to four to the Minnesota Vikings, the Chargers. Let's say take Marvin Harrison Junior. Let's say the New York Giants take Malik Neighbors at six. Now, all of a sudden, Arizona's calling the Titans, and they go, Okay, you are a rebuilding franchise. We'll give you picks later this year in day two, and we'll give you picks in day two next year. Let us go from eleven to seven and we'll get Romo Dnsay. So now, all of a sudden, now they're sitting at seven, they have Romo Dunsay. And then they also pick twenty three and twenty seven and thirty five. So that is why it's a great question would the Cardinals genuinely pass on that type of a wide receiver? And the answer to it, I think lies in what they think of the other two wide receivers, because Austin Ford is not the kind of guy who I think it's just gonna make a trade and then go who, all right, made a trade, We're good to go. If he moves back from four to eleven to twenty three, he's gonna be on the phone immediately with all those other teams saying, okay, I got eleven now. Actually, he probably has these conversations before the draft even starts, because you know, you only got fifteen minutes on the clock, so he's probably already laid the baseline and he probably only makes the move from four to eleven if he feels like maybe he can have the confidence to get back up if they want one of these receivers. So that's again where my mind goes when you ask the question would the Cardinals pass and a guy like this? I think they have the flexibility to be able to pass a guy like that, because I think they can get back up and still be really happy with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Cardinals, I think this is a really.
Speaker 1: Smart move for you.
Speaker 5: I'm happy to clip this out for you and send it to you along with a fruit basket and a bouquet of roses or whatever. Okay, let's say the Chargers, because Jim Harbaugh Greg Gorman, they're gona run the football. Let's say they go trenches and then a corner in the second round because they need one. Who is that receiver? Who are some of their receivers round three, three, et cetera. They really fit what the Chargers want to do, which is to get faster and work the play action game.
Speaker 4: And there's a lot of receivers that I think could be really nice pick somewhere like third fourth round. I think Javon Baker from UCF as somebody who I really like. Now he's like sort of similar to Josh Palmer a little bit, so it's kind of like funny like pairing him with the Chargers, But I think Baker is a really talented player who in a different draft class could be a top eight wide receiver.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 4: I think that he is super talented and he's just gonna get pushed way outside of wide receiver ten and the top ten of receivers taken just because it is it is so talented, but I think that he is really good. Jamari Thrash is somebody else who I like from Louisville who's got a knack for winning deep. He's somebody who I think could really help in that. Like, okay, play action, you keep the defense honest. You've got to be able to pay attention at all times. Brendan Rice from USC as well. He had a lot more strength and power to his game that I was able to see firsthand when he was at the Senior Bowl. You know, some people looked at it and they're like, oh, he can't separate, And okay, he struggled to separate a little bit, but let's not take it away from him. He was also making some of the best contested catches like all week. And so now you've just got this dude who very very high iq of how to win the position. Maybe not quite the smooth athlete that his dad was, but a strong player knows how to make those contested catches. You're gonna be able to get him on the field in blocking down situations for like you said, like that play action.
Speaker 1: Role things like that.
Speaker 4: So those are a handful of guys that trying to think like Johnny Wilson from Florida State, maybe is somebody else as well, just a giant six foot seven, two hundred and forty pound wide receiver who length and measurables alone makes you a good blocker and somebody who could actually help out a lot in the play action game. But he's also somebody who I think wins very very well off the Lion scrimmage with a lot of releases in a way that you would not think for a player of his high So I wonder if just that unique ability is something that they would gravitate towards as well. But I think those are a handful of receivers that when I think like round three, that's what I think could be realistic targets for him.
Speaker 2: There you go, the one of the last things I wanted to ask you about today, Trevor. The Charger signed Bradley Boseman to be their presumable center for the short term. You know, we'll see what happens in the long term here, but Centaer's obviously a position of need Corey Lindsley likely retiring has not been officially announced, but obviously there was like the restructure and all that that went down. So Center's gonna be a spot that a lot of people point to the Chargers on day two. I guess this is maybe a two parter here because there's a lot of hype around the top of the center class. I know in your guys's mock draft you did have Zach Frazier going pretty high along with Graham Barton and Jackson Powers Johnson, So if the Chargers were to look, you know, at one of those guys, is that's something they would have to trade up for at this point? And then if they wanted to, wait, who are maybe kind of your round three, round four guys of a choice there?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean them picking at thirty seven right now. I mean that's that's Zach's Frasier range. I mean I wouldn't sit here and say like, oh, it's unrealistic. You get Zach Frasier. Zach Fraser's a really good player. But I don't know, centers normally not rated that high anyways. I think in mock drafts, for seeing Jackson Powers Johnson mocked in the top twenty, I wonder if that cool is a little bit, you know, like he was great at the Senior Bowl. I just think a lot of people love him. I wonder if that cool is a little bit and we start to see him more towards like all right, well, maybe it's more like a mid twenties kind of a pick with Jackson powers Johnson, like I think about his connection to either the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the Dallas Cowboys or something like mid twenties ish, and does that kind of push Fraser down a little bit further into that early to mid thirties range. I think it's realistic that you could possibly get him there. But you know, if you talk about a third, fourth round kind of players, Cedric Van Prawn from Georgia is somebody who I like because he was entrusted to be the middle of that offensive line during some of Georgia his title runs and when he I think he was a red shirt freshman his first year as a starter, then he was redshirt sophomore, red shirt junior. He was able to start all three years. For him, not exactly the most fleet of foot type of a player, but again for a Jim Harbaugh type of scheme, I mean, bully people up front, man I mean, just like beat people up front, be physical. I think he's gonna love Van Prant, I really do. Obviously, the Michigan Center as well, Drake NuGen Is in his class. Think he could be an option for them. Bo Limmer from Arkansas, he's the guy who's played guard, he's played center. I think his best position is going to be center at the NFL level. But then you can go a little bit further down. There's a couple of names who have had good offseasons. You know, maybe you're talking about early Day three range Hunter Norsad from Penn State. I thought had a really great Shrine Bowl when I was able to see him there. Tannerbordalini played a lot better at the Senior Bowl than I thought. I mean, I watched him on tape and I was like, man, this guy's too light. I don't really feel like he deals with power very well. It's a different story in Mobile. He had a really nice combine week as well. So he's somebody who I think could be a nice center option somewhere on Day three. And then a lot of people like Dolan McMahon from Mensi State as well, who again like played a lot better at the Senior Bowl than I thought then I thought that he was going to So it's a decent center class, it really is. I think there's a lot of different options, whether you want to go for a guy like Power Johnson or Frasier with a top forty pick, or you can wait a little bit, and I think that you could still find a potential starter at center when you get into round three and round four.
Speaker 5: Flipping to the other side now, I've been talking to Cody Alexander about the Chargers scheme and Jesse Minter and what they'll need on defense. They obviously kept the edge rushers opportunity of Joey Buzza, love Khalil Mack, but they need a defensive tackle.
Speaker 3: They need a space eater.
Speaker 5: Who are those guys outside of Devandre Sweat that are like three hundred plus pounds total space eaters?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's tore Sweat. Who's the next Sweat?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no no. But I know I think that that's that's a good question because and it's a great question to have if you're the Chargers, because I think they're they're they're not alone, and that they love one of those base eater type of players. Problem is not a lot of space eaters in this class, right, Like I'm looking at just the big board right now. You got Byron Murphy, you got jeers On Newton, who I think of the first round of tier defensive lineman.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Those guys are very versatile. They could play anything from a shade nose to a four eye technique. You're comfortable with him winning in a lot of ways. I mean there's even reps for jeers On Newton where he's playing five technique defensive end and that's just the kind of versatility that he has. So I think all those guys can play any spot. But then you get to Okay, Braden Fisk really nice one gap penetrating player, but short arms, not somebody that you're gonna want to two gap in an odd front. Ruka Roro Row. You like his versatility, but again, does he have that size and power? The same exact thing goes to Brandon Dorrilys as well. Dorless is a nice option for them, But like when I think of dor Liss, I like his versatility, but I don't like him if you're just saying, hey, plug this gap, like that's what we want you to do. Like I think he brings you a little bit more than that. He's not as big of a player as you would want. I think he's you know, round two eighty five something like that, and so I think that that's not a weight that you would want there. Chris Jenkins Junior from Michigan. I don't mean to bring up another Michigan player, but like Harbass saw what he was kind of holding the line of scrimmage, and I think he actually gives you that power profile to be somebody who could eat up some blocks. But then it's like, you know, Michael Hall Junior from Ohio State, more of a three tech a pass rusher. Dwayne Carter from Duke, same thing, Leonard Taylor the third from Miami, same thing. McKinley Jackson. He's got the size and he's played a little bit of nose, but he was more of that, Hey, we're gonna line you up at nose and you're just gonna beat the center with quickness, not necessarily, We're gonna line you up in nose. Do the whole to and Andre sweat Jordan Davis thing where you fork lift the guy and you're peeking in the backfield and you throw it into the side like that's just not his role in that you get a little bit further down, maybe like a Tyler Tyler Davis from Clemson could fit that mold, Justin Rodgers from Auburn, you know, Keith Randolph from Illinois. But now we're talking about day three guys. So it's just a this is this is ultimately why I tend to put Devandre Sweat a little bit higher in mock drafts than I feel like he should be drafted. I tend to put him like early mid second round, just because he not only is he a uniquely sized individual, he's pretty unique in this class. There's just a lot of pass rush defensive tackles. There's not a lot of those guys who are going to take on two blocks on the line of scrimmage. So if you want one, you might have to pay a premium and draft them a little bit earlier than maybe you'd want. So it is a great question. Unfortunately, I just don't think there's a lot of answers in this class before you get to somewhere on Day three, and then at that point you're kind of taking a flyer on him.
Speaker 1: Anyways, all right, there we go some great information. Tyler did you have any last questions here? I should ask that first.
Speaker 3: I guess, Oh that was it. I got to finish off to do love to see it travel.
Speaker 1: This has been great man listeners here.
Speaker 2: If you are not following Trevor listening to this podcast, I strongly encourage.
Speaker 1: You to do that. Of course. It is mock draft season.
Speaker 2: PFF just introduced a new feature on the simulator, which is I love. They get to control the consensus board. If you want more of the general consensus board instead of just PFFS, you can use that. It's a It's a great simulator, in my opinion, best simulator out there.
Speaker 1: So Charvor, thanks so much for joining us. Man. Well, we'll be in touch soon.
Speaker 4: All right, appreciate you guys anytime.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, we'll take a quick break and that we'll be right back here. All right, Tyler, any final thoughts there about our interview. It is a great discussion today, lots of trade talk obviously, but any final thoughts there.
Speaker 5: Please, Cardinals house on Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 3: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And Chargers don't do that. Take Marvin Harrison Junior. That's that's that's the dreamer now, there you go easy, Yeah, yeah, for sure. Man, it's a it's gonna be very interesting. We're coming up on a little over a month away from the draft, which is crazy to me, wrapping up free and seeing things like that. So it's gonna be a ton of fun. We'll have you guys covered a lot more draft conversations here on this channel as well as our own channel over the next few weeks. That being said, we wanted to essentially put a bow on the Keenan Allen conversation. And I know that there are some people who have already moved on and more power to you, but in our own way, we wanted to express our gratitude for Keenan Allen and the efforts that he has given the Chargers over the last decade. It's been a long time and been some great memories. So we're going to talk about some more of the positive memories. The lasting legacy of Keenan Allen in the Chargers' uniforms. I couldn't say powder blues because they were primarily Navy for a little bit there, but Keenan Allen obviously leaving a lasting legacy with the Chargers here. Can't thank him enough for the lasting memories. And I know, Tyler, you've talked a bit about what he means to your fandom. And I don't know if I've necessarily shared my own store with Keenan Allen because I was on an LDS church mission in Mexico during his rookie season and his sophomore season, and so I didn't get to watch those seasons. I didn't get to watch the great Denver game where he hurtles over and scores a touchdown.
Speaker 1: And I need to just get these emails from my dad.
Speaker 2: Hey, you got to see this Keenan Allen guy when you come back from your mission, like you know. And so I come home and the Chargers were not very good. There was all the moving stuff, and so like I just latched on to Keenan and like what he meant to the team alongside with Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates was still on the anti team all the time, and so you know, it just is it's just a guy that you kind of gravitate towards. He's always been that player. And he kept me, you know, not that I was ever going to leave. Obviously, he wants a fan, always a fan, but he just kind of kept me coming back wanting for more for the Charters and that was unfortunately the couple of seasons where he gets injured and things like that. So it's just, you know, Keenan is the guy that kept me glued to the Chargers alongside Philip Rivers. And I'll always be grateful for what he has meant to the team and the effort, the moments, the positivity, the vibes, everything that he brought to the squad is just He's just a player that I'll always remember. I'll tell my kids, my grandkids, you know, in the future one day about how awesome it was to watch the prime of Keenan Allen and what he meant to the Chargers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Keenan Allen was really the soul of the Chargers. And I think other players have been the heart or the engine that gets the team going. That it really felt like Slayer was the soul there was. It was his personality, it was his musicality, it was his competitiveness, his connection with his teammates, his his playfulness, you know, old fam that's rad, you know, all that sort of stuff. So good, and you know, he'll always be immortalized for the rot running, right, and that's what makes him special. But what made him great was everything else that included, like blocking in the run game. I mean, Tyree Wilson is six six, two seventy and Keenan Allen sent him back to Texas Tech. You know, go watch the Bengals game. I think it was fourth and one. There's a play where Keenana lines up behind the center or the hip pocket of the center because he's gonna block the linebacker at the next level like a full back to make sure they convert, you know, Like he's just he's even the guy I think this past season where the Chargers practice was over, but they needed a corner out there, so He's like, Okay, I'll go get out there after running my own routes with Herbert and I'll go run corner against Mike Williams and against Josh Palmer and make everybody better. Like, yes, he'll always be remembered for the route running. That's what he's known for. That's his thing. But I just appreciate so much and what makes him special is truly everything else about him, that the soul that he was, what he meant for the Chargers tough to tough to see him.
Speaker 3: Go for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think back to my first time coming down to training camp when the Chargers moved to LA back in twenty seven seventeen, and I was just in awe of like seeing that guy in person and running the routes and just working on his craft. And and I think that particular day that I was there, he stayed after for like a half hour just working on a new concept with Philip Rivers and everything like that. And it's just, you know, that kind of stuff is infectious, and we've seen that, you know, bleed into how Josha Palmer has approached his game in particular. And I look at his examples towards all of those other guys, and he's talked about it like that's how it was when he came into the league with Stevie Johnson and Eddie Royle and the examples that they left to him, and he felt that he.
Speaker 1: Needed to be that guy, you know.
Speaker 2: He he it would have been easy for him to not take Mike Williams, Josh Palmer, and Quentin Johnson under his wing, to say, hey, like I'm the alpha here, like you'd better just fall in line. But he was always willing to give his extra time and running on routes and like all the micd up clips of like Josh Palmer Quenton, even like a Jeremy Davis. I remember like going up to Keenan, like asking him about routes and things like that back in the day.
Speaker 1: So it's just it's it's everything.
Speaker 2: Of course the production certainly does does not do harm there, but it's everything that Keenan.
Speaker 1: Was as a player.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if he's ever gonna watch this, probably not, but Keenan, man, sincerely, thank you for everything that you gave to the franchise.
Speaker 1: We will always remember you.
Speaker 2: That being said, Tyler, if you had to pick one moment, one game that kind of, you know, epitomizes the Keenan Allen experience, which would you kind of point to.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, you should give me forty five minutes to talk about it. I think I'll end up giving several star Yeah, yeah, no kidding, now I've already done that. I will start with one that comes to mind, which isn't even a catch or wasn't a catch that counted, I should say, his rookie season, they traveled to Washington and he runs a route and he gets called for offensive pass interference. He didn't touch the defender, but the defensive back went so far the other direction that the ref thought that he must of committed offensive past interference. That's just how good Keenan was as a route runner that he would get called for offensive past interference without ever touching the defensive back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Seeing the clip one hundred times, it never gets old, you know, I think recency biased. The ten thousand yard catch was was amazing. One of the best catches you know, we can ever say that we've seen in and Keenan was never really like a big circus catch guy, but that one, that one definitely stands out. You know, again, just the moment, probably the coolest way to reach ten thousand yards of any player in NFL history. But I think, like still to this day, one of my favorite Keenan Allen games was the Thanksgiving game against the Dallas Cowboys. Again, that was his first season, like coming back from the ACL and the kidney and everything like that, and there were still a lot of doubters about Keenan, you know, in his ability to be an elite receiver, and that was kind of his not launching point because he was already that for us, right, but that was him reminding people like, hey, like I'm about this life. And just the way that he dominated that game, I'll never forget. And I think also because I was at a Thanksgiving holiday celebration with other Cowboys fans, so some of my family members are Cowboys fans, you know, the most popular team in Utah growing up. So watching that game, watching Keenan just torched the Cowboys with Cowboys fans on Thanksgiving, That's always gonna be something that I will remember and appreciate for Keenan Outen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, love that one. Loved the hurdle as you said in Mile High, that was great. Love the game with Philip Rivers against the Packers where it feels like he had twenty catches in the first half. The great catch against the Ravens that he actually ended up suffering the kidney injury because of it, but the catch was awesome. So many plays I think in terms of games, I guess I can also talk about like his literally his best game ever, which was recently against the Minnesota Vikings. This past season was awesome for Keenan Allen. He thinks it was his best season and that's one of those games where you go, yeah, that probably was your best season because he had eighteen catches, two hundred and fifteen yards and a forty nine yard passing touchdown to Mike Williams. I mean, just set record after record and threw almost a fifty yard bomb on top of it. It was an awesome game and they needed him. The Chargers absolutely needed to win that game. They had not won the previous two games, and they were going to blitz like crazy, So a lot of cover zero, a lot of you know, sending their corners on an island, and Keen Alan went okay and caught eighteen passes and just absolutely torched the Vikings that day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The last one, and I think for me is that pass that catch moment from the Dolphins game a couple of seasons ago, where everybody knew that Justin Ever was gonna throw the ball to Keenan Allen and it did not matter.
Speaker 1: He just pinned it right on him.
Speaker 2: Keen ran a great route, got the first down, went down, and won the game.
Speaker 1: That was a cool moment.
Speaker 2: I don't think people really will, like maybe Chargers fans will, but outsiders, I don't think they'll really appreciate how difficult it must be for a guy like Keenan to go from Philip Rivers, who you have this like amazing connection with right like mentally you're just on that mine mold, and then do that again, Like we've never really seen that. Like, of course there's like Davante and Aaron Rodgers and things like that, but usually when that guy goes to another quarterback, it just kind of takes a minute and it just kind of never really comes together at the same level. But right in Justin Herbert's first start, you know, Keene Allen runs a deep over route Tyron Matthew, the Honeymatgers trailing right underneath, and Justin Herbert just trusted and he threw it right at the perfect spot. And that was just kind of the beginning of beautiful romance over the over the last four seasons. So it's something that will go underappreciated, just the ability to mind meld with Rivers and then mine med with Herbert into the.
Speaker 1: Next era of charges football. It was truly a treat to watch.
Speaker 5: How about just being consistent with different offensive coordinators and play caller since twenty thirteen, we were talking Mike McCoy and Frank Reich and Can wizen Hunt and Anthony Lenne is your next coach, Can wizen Hunt again, Shane Stike In, Joe Lombardi, Kellen Moore, And it's like, sure, you want a thousand yards and six touchdowns as an automatic guarantee, especially that six touchdown part that was that was a fun streak for a bit there where he just could not get for six touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: So it is gonna be a little weird obviously watching him in a different uniform new Chargers era. For sure, excited to see how that comes to fruition the vision that the Chargers have for him. But we wanted to do right by Keenan and be able to talk about some of his best moments because he deserves it, and I know that, like there's a lot of talk recently about his legacy and like what he means to the franchise and and you know, all due respect to guys who played and who are in the Hall of Fame who played back in the day, Lance Alworth and Charlie Joyner, those guys of course, Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd.
Speaker 1: To me, Keenan Allen.
Speaker 2: Has the most receptions of any Chargers wide receiver, he has the most yards of any Charges wide receiver. He was the most consistently great in his job of any Chargers wide receiver. So for me, best receiver in franchise history. Probably not on the Mount Rushmore for Chargers legends, because you have Junior seou Lt and obviously Antonio Gates, who are you know, arguably the best players ever at some of their positions. So it's a bit tough for Keenan's to get on that Mount Rushmore. But I think, unequivocally for me, best receiver in franchise history, top ten player in franchise history, when all of a sudden done, number thirteen.
Speaker 1: Should be retired by the team in my opinion going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely could see that.
Speaker 5: I don't think he makes Mount Rushmore, like you said, at least not yet. Obviously, this is not the end of a career. Who we have no idea how many more years he could play. Could be one more year, it could be three more years, could be five more years. Who knows what we'll see a long that goes for I think I'll put in respect where like all Worth and Joiner and then Winslow, not ass maybe O'Neill as well, considering how many sacks he has for the team. Sure, maybe put I put him in like the same conversation. How much further he goes in the rankings of in Chargers history as kind of depends on how he does the next few seasons. But yeah, he's definitely in that conversation as one of the best Charges of all time.
Speaker 2: I think that fourth spot is probably one of the quarterbacks, depending on how you feel about versus rivers.
Speaker 1: But that's that's probably the consensus.
Speaker 2: Top five is is say out Gates, Tommentson, and then the two quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: That's probably the top five.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think Keenan Allen has a legitimate argument to be in the top ten at.
Speaker 3: Least I would agree.
Speaker 1: Great guy.
Speaker 2: All right, Tyler, any final thoughts about Keenan or the draft or whatever before we hop off for the day.
Speaker 3: You know, I've done enough mock drafts. Man, I'm gonna go tick an up.
Speaker 1: And then you're gonna wake up and do a mock draft. Is that what you're gonna say?
Speaker 3: Don't tell them exactly what my albums are.
Speaker 5: We talk about this in confidence. I have an issue, Keep that to yourself, keep that between us.
Speaker 2: I gotcha, I gotcha. All right, guys, thanks so much for tuning in. As always, make sure like, subscribe, comment all that good stuff, Make sure and watch all the great coverage that the Charge have of free agency and things like that. Matt money Smith and Chris Harry will be on this channel obviously later this week, so be sure and tune into them, throw a like and subscribe over on our own channel to the Guilty of Charge podcast, and thanks to Tyler, thanks to Trevor, thanks to Greg Kimp for producing, Thanks to the Charger for having us and that's need for us today.
Speaker 1: As always, hold time