Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Morning, everybody in Steve j Envy, Jesse, Laris, Charlamage, the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got some special guests with us this morning. We got the brother Charles Coleman and try mainly welcome.
Speaker 2: Peace, peace, morning, Morning, morning.
Speaker 1: How's everything we.
Speaker 4: Blessed black and Holly, favor and everything good.
Speaker 1: How y'all feeling, man, I'm glad to be here, man, super glad to be here. Glad we can make this happen.
Speaker 2: In the world. But we were here. We're talking it out absolutely. I loved what y'all was doing.
Speaker 4: I love the black men in America the Road to two thousand and twenty four.
Speaker 5: Why was that important to do?
Speaker 6: You know, it's always important for us to in our positions, to center black men.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: We understand that we are absent in so many spaces, right, financial spaces, various.
Speaker 2: Institutions, in certain neighborhoods.
Speaker 6: But for us to be able to elevate our voices the center black men because sometimes we know brothers feel like they're not getting attention at home, they're not getting attention from candidates, they're not getting the attention that they deserve. So Charles and I came together and said, we have this platform, so why not elevate voices.
Speaker 1: And I also think that when you're just talking about our discourse now politically, we have a very lazy way of looking at it. And when I say we, I'm talking about our community. And one of the reasons why is because we like to say, go vote. But that's kind of sort of with the pretext that you're voting in the way that I feel aligned with my interest. If you're not, I'm not necessarily keen on that. And what we wanted to do was present a variety of perspectives in a way that was balanced, that was fair, that allow people to see, all right, I may not agree with that ideologically, but I understand this part of the conversation. And so that was like really really important to both of us.
Speaker 4: Why does it feel like, you know, they already setting it up to if Donald Trump gets back in the White House, it's going to be black men's fault.
Speaker 6: What they're always going to think about it is they don't send the message right. When the message isn't received properly, and you don't motivate folks, you don't explain why you're the better candidate.
Speaker 2: It's almost as.
Speaker 6: If they are requiring and demanding one hundred percent fealty that eighty seven percent of black men voting a certain way isn't enough, and they will most certainly blame us when we don't show up, when their messaging wasn't resonating properly.
Speaker 1: I'll give you an easy one, because you need a bad guy, right, like you need a bad guy, You need a villain in this political conversation. And unfortunately we are in America, and you know, it's easier to paint us as the bad guy rather than to look at data. Right, Like, if you look at the data, if Donald Trump were to win, there's no question that college educated white women and uneducated white women who are voting would have had a huge hand in that. Right, Instead of looking at the demographics that point to a particular area, it's easy to say, I like this narrative, We're gonna put it on black men, and so I think that that's really the answer, is like, you need a villain, and so to compensate for the fact that, to Tremaine's point, you did not do your job, Like it's amazing to me how in our conversation about the elected officials that want our votes, we will put more onus on the voter, yes, who's dissatisfied, rather than on the candidates who have failed to satisfy the.
Speaker 6: Voters and the refusal to actually engage. They're gonna spend the money to get out the vote at the last minute.
Speaker 2: Souls to the polls.
Speaker 6: You don't try to get people in church service and get them to the polls as opposed it, which I first, I hate that they put a little twang in their voice too, Souls to the polls, the little sauce on it. But they're gonna wait till the very last minute instead of actually engaging with the community daily, right being the community set roots up so people know you're there. Talking to brothers all around the country. What they say is they don't ever ever acknowledge us. I was talking to a brother the other day and he said, even with Donald Trumps fullishness, with the sneakers, the sneaker con and all that, at least the devil saying your name. You want somebody to say your name, at least he's saying it. And when he said that, at least the devil saying your name. It sounds like, you know, it sounds wild, but at least there are some overshures there.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm being curious that, you know, where did you become this lightning ride of like controversy around black men in the vote. No. I was trying to have this conversation with somebody and I was trying to go back. I was like, you know, ABC News, that's new. You know what I'm saying. We all know if you don't vote for me, if you ain't black, well you know all that. But I was just like, why is it. Where did this sort of honestly conversation come from.
Speaker 4: I think it's because left wing media does not do a good job of pushing the narratives they want, and they do a good job of pushing right wing media narratives. For example, if I'm on something like this Week ABC and I say Donald Trump is the threat a democracy, Donald Trump's a fascist, Donald Trump let an attempt to cool his country, And then I say, what, Joe Biden is an uninspiring candidate who.
Speaker 2: Don't have no main energy.
Speaker 4: Fox will take that part and highlight it, and instead of the left taking the first part of what I said in highlighting that they'll just respond to what Fox said, and then it becomes this easy villain.
Speaker 1: Though, easy villain, easy villain.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, sometimes I feel like it should go back to the days where you don't know who somebody's candidate is, right, You just talk about voting and getting people to get out there to vote, and you hear both sides or all three sides if you're talking independent, and nobody talks about who they voted for, because I think that creates a form of almost like I'm shaming you because you're voting independent, or I'm shaming you because you're voting Republic, or I'm shaming you because you're voting Democrat, right because you said, you know, we should vote for our interests, right, But if somebody's interest doesn't, you know, fall on Jess's interests, why should I have to go that way? And then if I say I'm voting independent, oh you vote independent, you ef it up to vote.
Speaker 5: You know, he can't win, And I think it really clouds things.
Speaker 3: My mom and my dad never talked, you know, to their friends about who they were voting for.
Speaker 5: They talked about everybody should go register and.
Speaker 3: Vote and what it meant to vote, but they never really talked about what candidate they were voting for.
Speaker 6: The choices have become so stark though, so it's not just a world where idea electrickle down economics or policing in this country, or even voter issues. It's become clearly there are these white supremacist impulses embedded in our politics now, and so it's unfair that now we have to expose ourselves. And sometimes you have the ideas of a democratic plantation and you got to stick to this side of that side. But the stakes are so high that I think it's a legitimate concern of how folks are arriving at their vote. They should have we should have full access of the franchise if you don't, but you should be able to have complete independence and be able to keep it to yourself. But I think in this environment it's become dangerous.
Speaker 1: I agree with MV in the sense that we know that shaming people does not result in folks going to vote. It does not. Shaming people is not a successful strategy, is not a productive strategy. I think this solution ultimately is to create a space that allows for informed perspectives to have a voice and for people to become educated.
Speaker 6: And it's called black men in America, wrote twenty Night four.
Speaker 2: That's the fact.
Speaker 1: It's on peacock right now, check us out, so we outside, So you know, that is definitely a thing. I think that the other side to it is it's incumbered upon us to stop going through this cycle where we either a don't where we stay uneducated about the entire process of specific engagement, or b choose not to share what we know with other people on the off years, right like, how many times are we gonna be like, well, you gotta do this because it's the less of two evils, or you're gonna go ho. The problem that that people on the left that are terrified about another reign of Donald Trump are having is that you had four years and you didn't do anything with it to get people to understand or to get people to feel like this is what's gonna be different. And now you want to sort of do a rush job and shame people to Envy's point or scare people to the.
Speaker 6: Other pointsuise again every cycles, and that.
Speaker 1: Is not an effective strategy. And so I think that if you're gonna get to a place where you're talking about people just sort of being able to, you know, discuss what their interests are and vote along those lines. They have to become educated where that's something that I don't.
Speaker 3: Think people like to have conversations, right Like, so you look at I'll just take Floyd Mayweather, right So, Floyd Mayweather a couple of years ago said he was voting for Donald Trump, and everybody the whole black community hated him, gave the middle finger, turned.
Speaker 5: Their back, whatever, whatever.
Speaker 3: But nobody ever asked them why why he felt that way, you know, or why are you not voting for Joe Biden during that time because he might have felt like, well, Joe Biden did this to me, or my father told me that when he passed this lord affected him. And we never asked why to have those conversations. We're so quick to turn our back on somebody that doesn't necessarily agree that what we have, and we just hate to have conversations.
Speaker 1: I'll give you an example and then sort of an anecdote. Number one, My biggest concern in this entire discussion is that as black people, we are negotiating our views around blackness based off of whether you agree with the candidate who I agree with. That is deeply problematic.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Imagine you have a disagreement with someone in your community who looks like you, about someone who's respectfully not in your community, and because they don't align with your choice of someone who's not in our community, you are now then trying to invalidate their blackness. I'm not about to be argued you over the white people.
Speaker 2: That is absurd, right, So I'll give I'll give you a.
Speaker 6: Great percent the whole conversation to the lands of the white caves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll give you a great example real quick. I have a friend. He's a plumber in Chicago. He employs all black people because he believes in supporting black people and teaching black young men and women trades. He is having trouble bidding on contracts because of the influx of immigrant labor into the city of Chicago, and other contractors are underbidding him because they're paying their contractors, their their employees under the table a lot less. So he's like, look, on this immigration issue, I actually feel like I'm more aligned with what conservatives are saying than what Democrats are saying. And I want to support black I want to support black people. I want to employ black people, I want to put money into the black community. You can't tell me that this man is anti black because he has that position. So when you talk about priorities, it shapes out in very different ways for very different people.
Speaker 6: But you also can't ignore the fact that when you align yourself on a singular interest or a singular issue, that you're also in bid with a whole bunch of other people, namely white supremacists. If you're a Republican, it doesn't make your white supremacist, But if you're white supremacists blatantly, you're probably a Republican. Not to disavowed the idea that there are white supremacist, racising Democratic Party. You know, everyone who was in the fighting for the Union didn't necessarily think black people were equal. They just believed in this idea of the Union. And so they are white supremacists on both sides. But that side on the right now it's become part and parcel of the party now, and especially with Donald Trump's recent take over the RNC, expectancy more of that.
Speaker 2: So what do what do Democrats do?
Speaker 4: Because you know, the messaging of fear, I don't think it is going to work in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: But this is the year we should actually be afraid because you.
Speaker 4: Know, we've been hearing the same rhetoric, rhetoric every election cycle, right, every president's election cycle.
Speaker 2: It's attached to democracy.
Speaker 4: This candidate, specially Republicans, they always demonize them active democracy.
Speaker 2: This is the time it actually is. But you can't make people believe it because you've been saying it for years.
Speaker 6: No, I really don't understand that. So last night I was in an off the record conversation with some folks in the White House, and I had very same conversation about why aren't.
Speaker 2: You, you know, going to the community.
Speaker 6: People don't even even when you look at the charts and unemployment and wealth and everything is on the rise from Donald Trump, but the people don't feel it. And they're still trying to figure out the messaging. They say, you know, we know we're trying to figure out the messaging. You're supposed to be the big ten party filled with empowered black people all across this country, and you're still trying to figure out how to communicate with black men and the way we live so segregated in this country, right, you know, where the black people are. You know what institutions they're in, what neighborhoods they're in. You know, the power brokers, those in the working class, the middle you know who they are. Why aren't you still going to them? They're still trying to figure out how to message all this good news. But to your point earlier, but still responding in that white supremacist kind of echo chamber, it's not doing that, man, services.
Speaker 1: I think it's really a matter of an inability to acknowledge their failures.
Speaker 2: So part of what ail or refusal or refusal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, correct, a refusal that is couched as an inability. That's a that's a great point. I think that part of why the messaging is falling flat is you can't say to me, you can't talk to me about all of the things you're gonna do, all the great things you're gonna that you've done, as if this is is this rosy picture without acknowledging, Yo, we don't mess them up before. We got a lot of work that we need to do, and we acknowledge that. So for as long as that is treated as a cardinal sin, like yo, we can't really talk about that because we're going to alienate white voters. The messaging in terms of black people, and in large part black men, is going to fall flat.
Speaker 6: The political calculus that it takes to say, you know what, we know this is, this is right, but we speak about black men too loudly.
Speaker 2: We know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 6: It's gona be a backlash, a MEYDI, not just from from the right, but also in that center part of your own party.
Speaker 4: You ho tepl but you know, even with Dad, it's like, yo, man, when I hear that, it's like, yeah, I'm a vote, But how can I ever truly support you if you don't even want to say my name in public?
Speaker 2: I ain't no hope.
Speaker 1: You know why?
Speaker 4: Why is talking about black men? Talking about black people are bad electoral?
Speaker 6: But also we have to be honest and again this beyond party. They fear us, so they've marginalized us. And as long as we're pursuing ngraded in any of these spaces in this discourse, we could still again be the boogeyman, the villain, but they never have to actual appeal to it because there's a general consensus that black men are to be feared or not to be respected. Overincarcerated, we're not in college. Were all those things. We've been isolated to the point when it's a common knowledge that we are there.
Speaker 1: This is I get I get so much heat for this, but it's the truth. We've been as a community the side piece of the Democratic Party for so long that when we step out of that role and we start actually asking questions and pushing back, now it's a problem.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And I mean that's really the dynamic that exists, unfortunately with the left. And so it highlights the very complex nature of what it is to be black in America and then engage political systems because you realize, like, Okay, these folks over here are not really for me. These folks over here they mess with me, but they mess with me in the dark when it's convenient, when they need me, when they want something right. And then when you can't have that honest dialogue, you know, to Mby's point, and you start thinking about a third party, you have folks turned on each other, and it's like, well, where do I go?
Speaker 6: What do I do?
Speaker 1: So it's a very very complex space, and it highlights the old quote in America, black people do not have permanent political friends. We only have permanent interests. Interest not something that we need to sort of understand before we sort of blindly align with any political party. We need to figure out what is our ideology first.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 4: I don't know why if you if you're black in America, you shouldn't be able to Republicans or Democrats. When I see these maga crazies that are black, i'man like, man, what is your issue? When I see these black liberals that are crazy over these I'm like.
Speaker 2: What is your issue?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: None of us should be beholden to these parties. It's gotten so rabid.
Speaker 6: I was down South Carolina at a barbershop and I was talking to brothers who are all Democratic voters, right, and you know, I said, are y'all planning to vote for Donald Trump? They said, oh nah, he's a real problem. I said, well, you have homeboys and people in your family who are considering.
Speaker 2: Said yeah.
Speaker 6: I said well why, and they explain why. It felt like more money, it felt like this, but they were not voters. They were not voting for Donald Trump. So I get the clip on on TV. It's running MSNBC all day. I'm down South Carolina doing my thing. And the rabid response from black liberals and some white folks in there. They're like, you and Charlotte Mane, y'all ain't pushing back. I'm like, first of all, what me and Charlotte got to do.
Speaker 2: With each other?
Speaker 6: You became the boogeyman. So all of a sudden, it's like Charlot. They was like you and y'all trying to get to Trump, and I'm like, yo, I'm just asking, brother one. If I come to you and invite you to give me your opinion, I'm not going to beat you up for how you feel. I'm not trying to convince. No, but I'm not don't work for the party, are for the people. I'm here as a messenger. I'm here for the people, not for any politician. But the response, for one second, again, I don't agree with anything cannoneones.
Speaker 2: Has to say, but when you're talking about a democratic plantation, like, is this the plantation they're on? This?
Speaker 6: Have me the brother you'aven known for decades doing this work and I'm a broker of the people, And then this is the response, And.
Speaker 4: All you're doing is amplifying what the people are saying. Guess what that's what they should be. They should have their strategist and their campaign teams down there listening to the police, and then they would understand why people feel the way that they do.
Speaker 2: I'm not making it up.
Speaker 1: It's a true story. And the wild thing about it was that happened literally the special premier on a Sundays for mid on Sunday, February fourth, Right, that happened like literally that Saturday, because that was the Democratic primary in South Carolina. That clip ran, a right wing outlet took it, chopped it up, ran when it made it seem worse than it was. Similar to your points, Charlamagne did exactly what you was talking about. And then all of a sudden we just got all lumped. It became like a whole tech hateration in this dancery, like it was just everybody was catching strays and was and I was with my man, so I'm like, yo, y'all haven't even and they thought it was part of the special, which even if it was. My point was, well, don't you understand that these are actual people who have these concerns and so trying your voters people from the conversation, is it going to make you go away?
Speaker 2: They started exposing it.
Speaker 6: A young brother I felt bad for his younger brother's like twentywo years old, was somewhat reluctant to do this, but I knew his cousin. So everybody came together and he was like, you know my age. I think he was like twenty two. He like, we only voted one time, so all we know is Trump and the pandemic and all this. They started releasing his public information. Oh, you ain't struggling that much. You just bought a house with a girlfriend. I was like, and a young brothers like.
Speaker 2: That's how you beat people out of the process.
Speaker 6: As long as you could create a chilling effect, you're having the opposite responses you want. You want and engage public and young brothers especially that will we proselytizing to their homeboys and be able to be able to articulate some of these ideas right and machinations of the of the machine.
Speaker 2: Instead you push them into a corner. It was terrible, man. These thing people need to change.
Speaker 4: Will Democrats need to change their perception of the hypothetical swing voter, like, you know, because they don't think about black men when they think about yeah, swing voter, like that probably voted for Obama, you know, might have voted for Hillary. But then they're like, you know what, I'm gonna get it just Trump thing to try, you know, then I'm gonna go back to Biden, like you know, I think.
Speaker 1: The only thing that I would say in response to that is Democrats don't have to change that. We have to change that for them. They're not going to make that decision on their own unless there's something that moves them to do so. So as long as I can count on you to show up when I asked you to show up, right, like as my side piece, right.
Speaker 2: The three times, that's the.
Speaker 1: Less I was saying. As long as I can count on you to show up on the show up, that's never gonna change. So that's on us as the elector to say, like I am not set in stone as a voting black, that you can necessarily count on you gotta. I'm available, right, but you gotta work for you, Gotta do something to get me out to vote for your candidate.
Speaker 5: That generational democrat.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: I look at my mother and my father when they started voting, and they would take me to the school to vote. What would they usually do back then?
Speaker 3: Right, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat. Right, that's what That's what they did, right, because that's what their parents did.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So when I first started voting, when I was eighteen, what did I do at first? Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat.
Speaker 5: Democrat, Democrat because I was like that, So my parents didn't That's that's what it was. So a lot of people still do that.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of times Democrats know that that when people go into that booth, they don't care who's on that board. They just gonna do Democrat, Democrat, and Democrat until you start understanding and learning.
Speaker 5: And then when you start understanding learn, you don't know who to learn from.
Speaker 3: You don't know who's right, You don't know what story is a fake. Some people say, well, you go to MSNBC or you go to and some of those stories don't be true. So it's like, who do I rely on to find out the facts when it comes.
Speaker 1: To these people, I think it's you know, I think that it's it's that is a very valid question, and I think in today's age, misinformation is a thing that people don't talk enough about and that actually saw I saw it when Tremaine was telling a story about what happened. How quickly things can get out of hand. I think part of it is you do have to get media from a variety of sources and a variety of perspectives, because that's the only way you can compare and start to see, like, all right, so this is saying something different than this, and this is saying something like what's starting to align, what's starting what actually makes sense? But if you lock yourself into one media source, if you're someone who's just starting out and you're saying, like, all right, I want to kind of figure this out, you need to be able to look at a variety of media sources on the same story. So if it's just like, uh, Donald Trump and marl Argo, what happened today? Read the Fox News article, Read the MSNBC article, read the scene An article, read the BBC article. There're gonna be certain things that are gonna be universe true that will be reported in all of them. You could probably take that as facts.
Speaker 6: But you know, the only way that actually works, though, is if you arrive with a base of information in facts, so you'll be able to arrive and be able to decipher and filter through. Our news filter is so off because people aren't arriving with the baseline information understanding how the system works, let alone the actual nuances of an actual issue. So when you go to Fox, you know that's nonsense because ABC or D or if you go to MSBC, you know that doesn't sound right because I know ABC or D. But to your earlier question, though, this idea of you know, this the mythology around the stories we tell ourselves as Americans, and the mythology around what a working class of voter is, what a middle of the road voter is. They don't take into account a Youngstown, Ohio, which is always the post a child for the working class white man. It's a majority black city who arrived there through the Great Migration, and we're blue collar workers. And so as long as they're trying to do this political you know, acrobatics around, we can't offend this group because we need that working class middle, that white working class. As long as you're that mythology that there's a certain kind of cloistered away black voter and that they're not also in the middle, that not also independent thinkers and they're not also working class or blue collar workers.
Speaker 2: Then you can continue to see the same paradigm.
Speaker 4: And I also think when it comes to MSNBC, CNN, Fox, you know, they're not really interested in reporting the news. They're interested in ratings and revenue. I think Trump brings ratings, and that's why they want to have as many Trump stories as possible. I think this new narrative of black men are black people being against the Democratic Party. I think that is another thing that's getting them a lot of engagement in a lot of ratings. So they're running with storylines as opposed to actually real news.
Speaker 2: I somewhat disagree.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think when we're understanding how the cable news space works, it's like a newspaper. I'm an old newspaper guy. It's like the front page to the metro section is actually news. Then you get to the opate the commentary section. So at MSNBC, you'll have news all day and then you get into a little commentary where it's more opinion. For a long time, you hadn't seen Donald Trump on our airwaves. But then this is the news again. As over we are leaving with the fire, there are more important things happening than death and destruction or the missing kid who got shot in the head or whatever it is. But that actually is the fire. And so I don't know if it's intentional, like we got to get the ratings, let's turn the trump. But also is such a break from our norms which we didn't handle well the first time. So I think we probably need more attention. But just interrogating what this man is doing and saying I think interrogating it more, not just.
Speaker 4: You know not yourn MSNBC run a headline that says Charlamagne is pushing MAGA messaging simply because they asked me. On January fifteenth, Fox News asked me, do I think the border is gonna be an issue in November?
Speaker 2: And I said yes. And the reason I.
Speaker 4: Said yes, it's because based off conversations I'm having with people, whether it's you know, here in New York City when Mayor Eric Adams, you know, they made all of the kids do remote learning so they could house the migrants. Whether it's you know, people I run into the street talking to me about their neighborhoods being overrun with gangs that are coming across the border. It's people in Chicago telling me about how they feel like the micros are getting more resources than they are conversations that regular, everyday black people are having with me. So I said that, how is that maga messaging?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: The number one issue I think, right, I think that we've entered into a space that has become increasingly not even politicized, just polarized. And the sensationalism around people's positions in a way that allows you to sort of just from a binary standpoint, be like you all the way over here, they all the way over here is something that has really hurt dialogue and made it difficult for people to have understanding. And I think, to Envy's earlier point, we don't have conversations anymore, and that's a big problem. And that's one of the reasons why Tremaine and I did the Special Black Men in America the World to twenty twenty four is we really wanted to highlight the fact that number one, these conversations are happening. Whether you try to shame brothers away from having these discussions or not, they are happening, to Charlemagne's point, And number two, they can happen in a space that allows for us to sort of have a die not always agree, but also not be disagreeable about it. And that was something that we really were intentional about when we talked to Jizi, when we talked to Hakim Jeffries to speak of the minority speaker in the House or minority leader in the House. We talked to, you know, people from all walks of life who had very different ideological and political perspectives and heard different things and it was okay, right, And I think that we need more of that. And let me be very honest, Yes, I'm an MSNBC guy. Jermaine is as well, but at the end of the day, we're here for community and I don't expect that any platform, respectfully right, and obviously I banged with MSNBC, but I don't expect that any platform is going to do that for us.
Speaker 2: It's not an institution in America. We got to do that far.
Speaker 1: We have to be the ones to be able to say, like, all right, we can have these conversations ourselves without turning around and being like, oh, well, you don't agree with me and I'm questioning your blackness.
Speaker 6: And we can't and we can't afford to be at eyes in this moment and every moment that preceded this, we cannot afford that. And I think that, you know, it ends up becoming entertainment for some folks when it's really life for death.
Speaker 4: You think we should have more mixed conversations, meaning that you know, I was saying that I feel like the vice president should go on Fox News, she should go on Handy.
Speaker 2: The same way President Obama used to go on O'Reilly fact.
Speaker 4: Though, like I feel like we can't keep talking about people are allowing people to talk about you without talking to them.
Speaker 2: That requires good faith, though.
Speaker 6: It requires that we're gonna arrive at this moment and have a dialogue and disagree and have this discourse and try to unpack a few things, not I gotcha moment that we can circulate on social media for that red meat.
Speaker 2: Let's get a win.
Speaker 6: The liptards that this one that when you can't you can't operate in that environment because it's just not a good faith environment.
Speaker 2: Operator.
Speaker 4: But you don't think it's hard to take you out of context if I'm sitting here talking to you, if the audience is actually watching it in real time. I think it's easier when you make a statement somewhere else, and then Fox can take it and remix it. It is, but I still think it's still gonna be chopped and screw But I still think that Tremaine is absolutely right. You have to come to the conversation with good intentions, right like, if you really do you want to have a conversation, or you're trying to have a gotcha moment, if you're really trying to have a conversation, ask the tough questions, right like, ask the difficult questions, have the difficult issues come up, and let's have a conversation.
Speaker 1: Just keep it balanced, just keeping balanced. If we're going to do it, let's do it. Just keep it balance. I think that's the only caveat. It has to be in a space that is truly about a balanced discussion before you can try to say, oh, well, you know, you shouldn't do that outlet or what have you, because unfortunately, there are too many outlets and platforms that really are just looking for a viral moment as opposed to trying to promote a conversation, because we know controversy gets clicked.
Speaker 4: It seems like it's working for Gavin Newsom though him going on Fox, you know, having conversations with Handity, debating with Ron DeSantis.
Speaker 6: Now all of a sudden, people got his name in the conversation to be president because this is the way. I think he's a singular kind of force. He looks presidential, right, So I think he just has a certain thing about him that I think he can he can move that way where any number of folks left couldn't.
Speaker 2: Move like that though.
Speaker 1: I think also he I think also Gavin Newsom presents a different alternative when you're talking about leftist politics that doesn't exist, and so people are kind of interested in that. You know, people you know and for whatever reasons, then I can name a lot of them. People may not necessarily be thrilled with Kamala as A as being representative or Vice President Harris as being representative of the future of the Democratic Party. So Gavin Newsom steps in and he's more or less unchallenged in terms of that space. He's an early adapter, if you will. So there has some interest there and I think that he's navigated it fairly well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, believing that's unfaired when they say things like you should be scared of a Kamala Harris privacy. Of course, why her policies wouldn't be that different than any other Democrats because he's Black's because.
Speaker 1: She's a woman should not asper No, no, no, these.
Speaker 3: Brothers gotta go. But I just gotta this is away from politics. I just got a question David Banner. It was recently recirculating in the last couple of days that David Banner was talking about HBCUs and he was saying.
Speaker 1: This is Howard University at all times.
Speaker 5: All right, well, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: Question what's the question now.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: You don't want to have to He said, HBCU shouldn't be a choice that all black students should go to HBCU. It shouldn't be an option. They should not go to these white universities. They should have to go to an HBCU.
Speaker 5: And that's what he felt.
Speaker 6: I want to ask, you know, then the problem is, I think I think in all these things, we are still, all these centuries after enslavement, fighting to be whole citizens that we haven't gotten there yet.
Speaker 2: So full access to the franchise, full access.
Speaker 6: To the full fruit of what it means to be an American, and I think that comes with the choices to do whatever we so please. And so certainly we understand these story institutions have been the bed rock and foundation of our communities for a very long time. But I think we do also need to allow black people to go where they want have bad ideas to a pin point about voting.
Speaker 2: Again, we don't require any of that big shot.
Speaker 6: Listen, my wife went to sell In University, so so I don't know we're gonna have to I don't have to fight with her, behalf here.
Speaker 1: For people listening and be put in Hampton helmet up.
Speaker 5: I wasn't. Yeah, but so good.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: The only thing with that is, you know, I went to Hampton University. My daughter didn't. I wanted her to go. But when we went, you know, we went through that whole thing.
Speaker 3: We went Morgan State, we went to Clark, we went to Spelman, we went to Hampton, we went to Howard. But it was the programs that she wanted to do, and the HBCUs didn't have the program which she wanted to major in.
Speaker 5: And that was the biggest problem.
Speaker 3: And you know, when I'm talking to some of the HBCU presidents, I tell them that we have to change a lot of the curriculum.
Speaker 5: Because the coriundlums are still old and they don't have some of the new curriculum.
Speaker 3: Like you know, we had Ryan and Ocho and they were talking about how, you know, brothers are making millions of dollars gaming and not coding, but playing games, and how it's a big business and these creators are making that and a lot of the times our HBCUs don't want that.
Speaker 2: It's if it's free.
Speaker 6: When you think about this idea of a reparation which is in the news now in California and my latest podcast, Undocumented unkind of millions of power reparations, it's like, how are we made whole in this country? We understand the horrors of slavery and then the hell that came after all the violent dispossession that we face of stripping of land and resources, and as part of that, the Freeman's view, establishing these hpcus, these landgrent colleges, I think that would make sense if as part of repair, as far as making us whole, that HBCUs are free, and I think that changes the conversation.
Speaker 1: You know, I am gonna look at this from the standpoint of also being an Hbculum and then when I was when I was at Howard was a Border Trustee member of the Border Trustees twice. So I'm looking at it from like very practical standpoint and being a lawyer. So a lot of people may not really on the top of that head be remembering the Supreme Court's recent decision that outlawed or declared unconstitutional race based admissions considerations, the case against Harford. The significance of that in this conversation is what it is going to do is you have a generation that demographically speaking, is the biggest and largest sense, the Baby Boomers that are now sort of like in college or entering college or in that space. So you have more people who are now going to have less access to more schools because affirmative action is essentially gutted at the collegiate level. Our HBCUs right now cannot they cannot handle the capacity of students that are already there from a housing place, you know this, from a facilities place. You know what I'm saying, Like, it's just a thing, right you go to James Hall, a Pierce Hall right now and it's pink peeling off the walls, and I'm not even being funny, I'm being very serious. Right. So the problem with what David Bannon is saying, and I respect David Banda, I really really do. The problem is it's simply not practical, and it's also not practical. It becomes further further impractical if we are not going to support our institutions with the type of money and funding that they need for it, not just maintenance but also expansion.
Speaker 6: They get you some of that good Ukraine money or right, and their moneyful.
Speaker 2: This money.
Speaker 6: But that's what it comes down to, is like in this whole reparational conversation when posters, you know, and social scientists ask white people, is the problem with the amount of money?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Is it? Who should qualify? Know?
Speaker 6: Is that they don't believe black people are deserving, And so it all comes down to whether we are deserving despite that, not only did we where we drivers of the world, we actually were the wealth.
Speaker 2: He's about eighteen sixty.
Speaker 6: Black bodies were the most valuable commodity in this country, let alone the actual physical structures that we built and the whole entire economy, taking this colony, this small outlier colony, into the global power it is today, right, but it's a matter of what they want to do.
Speaker 2: It's still we're not deserving.
Speaker 1: To your earlier questions, Charlamagne, when you talk about democratic messaging, if foreign aid two words foreign aid right, regardless of where it's going, I don't want to get into that discussion, but that foreign aid are not bad words, then reparations should not be a bad Absolutely, that's really that's the core of what we're talking about. And I don't mean to make it as singularly an issue about reparations, but I'm just using that as an example for when I when I use the term, that term side piece or like, oh, well, you know you kind of we're gonna deprioritize your interests. If you can say foreign aid to whatever countries plural that you're going to say them, then why can't we have this conversation about something that's directly.
Speaker 2: Of those bombs millions?
Speaker 4: You know, you know Donald Trump is gonna say it at some point over the next few months. Donald Trump is going to say, we keep sending all of this money, you know, the Ukraine and all of these countries we're funding NATO that could be used for black people reparations. It's just gonna be a line and watch what it does. Remember Remember I said it. Remember remember what you said earlierbout people don't even want to say black people's name.
Speaker 2: Don't say black man name. He's going to see blacks. My blacks deserve reparations. My blacks. Yeah, my black watch.
Speaker 3: Well, we appreciate you brothers for joining us. Tell them they can catch you, cause I see when does the series come on?
Speaker 6: So it is ouration, the the old so uncounted millions of power of reparations. Where our episode five drops tomorrow. It's the most amazing reparations story you never heard. America actually paid reparations once before for enslavers, and a black man somehow finessed his way into the system and actually got reparation for slavery. Episode five drops tomorrow Thursday.
Speaker 1: All right, and you could also check out Black Men in America The Roads of twenty twenty four on Peacock and streaming live.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, thank you brothers for joining us. Charles Coleman, Jermaine Lee. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, wait till ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club