Speaker 1: Hey, this is Anny and Samantha. I'm welcome to stephone. Never told you but actually have iHeart radio and welcome to another addition of Happy Hour. As always, if you're choosing to imbibe, whatever you're choosing to do, please do so responsibly. Samantha, are you sipping on anything?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: It's been an odd morning full of stress, so I'm keeping it with my water, but I'm also drinking a little bit of coffee that I have left over because I'm gonna need it.
Speaker 2: No, but that's it from me. What about you?
Speaker 1: I have my red wine. I have my red wine. I'm also having a very stressful day. I'm having a stressful light a couple of weeks. And today I was thinking of all the topics I wanted to do, and so many of them are sad, and I was like, I cannot have that right now. Even my Star Wars one bummed me out. I'm going to come back and talk about that. It's like cool, but it's sad because like the scripts of what would have been without Disney kind of came out and I was like, oh my god, that was so good. Anyway, I will come back and talk about that later today. What I want to talk about is something of a strange confluence is happening, Samantha. I don't know if you know this. We have a Monday mini coming up where we're going to be talking about our anniversary of starting together as a host on the show, even though that's not what we knew was going to happen at the time. Turns out that happened on March twenty seconds, twenty nineteen. That's when our first episode came out. The first episode I did of Savor, the other show I do, came out on March twenty seconds, wow, seven years ago. So I thought, if you all will go with me on this probably shorter trip, but I was gonna look back at kind of me being a host and Saver and Sminty, just a fond look back seven years. So. I know I've told this story before, but I started as a producer editor twenty ten. I was hired full time twenty eleven. Our company is very confusing in that I think we've gone through seven companies, not exaggerating, I'm pretty sure at seven. So at the time the company was how stuff works. A lot of stuff has changed that since, but I've essentially held the same job ish since twenty ten, and I was the editor producer of Sminty and then we kind of moved hands again, the company did and we became very video focused and then I was like the video producer force Minty, which those videos are still up on YouTube and still find them. Those were all me. Those are all me. But then when Kristen and Caroline announced they were gonna leave, they told me in person, I was like, well, I don't know what I'm gonna do then, And unfortunately, I feel like a lot of jobs are like this, but unfortunately in this job, there's always that insecurity of like, well that's the end for me. I guess there's nothing else for me to do. So I thought I might like lose my job. And then I went to I'm still not sure why, but I went to south By Southwest as part of our whole company. That was like a team of ten of us went and I was making video editing video. It was a really busy experience, and because I like planning things, I had planned like months in advance all of these like We've got to get this barbecue here and this here and do this and this and this, and everybody wanted to go with me because I made the plans. You can't just go to Franklin's barbecue fools. So after that friend of the show who's been on here, friend in real life, Lauren Vogelbaum, she sat me down and was like, I think you should be on a show. I've been thinking about starting this food show, and I think you would be great on it. And I really deliberated about it because I was nervous. I'd seen the hate people got, I'd had to deal with it as an intern, I had to answer listener mail as an intern, and so I was really nervous about it and I wasn't sure. I was like, I'm not really qualified. But the more Lauren talked to me about what she was seeing, I was like, Okay, yeah, I could do that, and so I agreed to do it. And the first episode we did was on Sparkling Wine, and I still remember what I wore because I'm so nervous, Like it's not like you could see me. I was so nervous. I remember exactly what I wore. I was like, audibly nervous. I will never listen to that episode again. Like I it wasn't bad, but it was just clear. I was so nervous and I used to edit them at the time, and when you edit yourself, it's not fun. Yeah, but I really liked it, like I liked because I if you've never listened to Savor, which I would recommend, it's a very I liked the history part. It's so it's structured in that Lauren does like the science basics of it is, and I do the history, and there's some like it's not super strict, so sometimes she'll put in history notes. But I liked that I got to research history. Even though a lot of times people will joke with me and they'll be like, I bet that show is so much easier than Sminty is, and a lot in a lot of ways it is. But food is political and there's some dark stuff with food. You don't want to leave that out. And that's you know, looking back over, how I think I've improved from when I started. Those are some of my biggest regrets is I don't think I was the best at like really searching for that stuff when I first started. But it was really scared, Like I was scared. I used to joke that I would it was like I was on a plane in turbulence when I would record, and in the first few episodes, if you listen to Stuff you Should Know, Jerry, who's like one of our big bosses, she sat in on them like right there, like in the small studio Savampa where she was sitting right there, and I just she was the one who hired me, so I knew her, like I was so nervous, and it's been a huge learning curve. And Lauren was very helpful with that. She would send me kind of kind but clear, Okay, we don't really do this, we don't do it this way notes. That was really useful, and especially in the beginning when I felt so like inadequate and incompetent. And one of the things our company often does are used to do. I'm not sure how much they do it now, but what used to do is when a new show starts, they get shows other shows that are established to do ads for them to get like attention to know that it exists. So a lot of those ran for the show at the time it was called food Stuff. I'll get more into that in a second, but a lot of those ran on Stuff You Should Know, which is our biggest podcast in what we call the stuff brands, like the first kind of how stuff works podcasts, and we got so many you know what, I have never proven this is where they came from, but we got a lot of sexist comments from people that I think we're expecting stuff you should know and then listened to us and like the one that I remember most wasn't even that mean. I just remember it was that you giggle like two girls who got into their dad's like our cabinet. Well damn yeah, And I do giggle a lot, Like I know I do that. I do that in real life. It's not something but it made me really anxious about it, and I was like, oh, I shouldn't laugh at all, and you know we're going to talk about this. I'm sure when we do our kind of look back, but when you're sometimes it becomes when you're trying to hold back so much that it's obvious too. Like sometimes like if I just giggle naturally, but I'm trying so hard not to giggle, that becomes something that we will consense as well. Right, Food Stuff is one of the last Stuff shows, and I think we benefited from that because it's really hard to launch a podcast, especially now when there are so many, and I think we did benefit from that, and we were pretty we were successful, but it was it was like trying to find a completely new formula. Stuff I've never told you. Spenty was a different problem, and that there had been other hosts, and then it was finding your voice within that right savor was sort of like make this thing to something people like, it's just interesting. I both were hard, but it was going on well, and then I believe it was I don't know, dates of meaningless. We were told we were told to rebrand, basically because they wanted us to be cooler, I think, which I'm like, why did you have you ever listen to the show We're big nerds.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they wanted us to be cooler, so they wanted us to travel, which was great, but it was really stressful to travel. I don't want to make it sound like I was so lucky. I got to go to Hawaii, I got to go to New Orleans, I got to go to Ashville, I got to go to all these places. It was great, but it was very stressful and it was something we were kind of told you have to do, and that was another changing of Okay. Well, then what is the formula of the show now then? And so many great experiences about it, but there's so many times I'm like, I wish we had like one more day we spent that city, where we could have done a better job if we'd had more time. I'm really proud of what we did, don't get me wrong, but it's just one of those things where like, if you're taking other people's time for interviews, which is what those shows mostly are, I would have loved to have given them more space. But that was a huge learning curve to you because I did most of the producing on that, and like finding the who we were going to interview, which was great because everyone we've interviewed has been really kind and really giving. And also it's cool because a lot of times they would call other friends while we were there and be like, you should talk to them. They're good, which is great. That's a great side when people are like okay, because you know, sometimes like the media comes in and you're expecting some kind of gotcha interview or something, but we're just really curious. And then I believe at the same time, that's when I was asked to be a host on Spin Team, and that that was a really that was also something I deliberated on for a long time. And when I did that, you get a balance, you know, two shows and figure all that out. And then after a Bridget left, there was only me and that was a real stressful chress full time. But then you came to Samantha.
Speaker 2: And I made.
Speaker 3: Which I love going back over the outlines because I want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: But I was like, oh, yeah, I just kept saying, I'm staying.
Speaker 1: Yes you did, and look, I'm glad you did, but yeah, I just I'm I'm I'm excited to for a mondayment. I mean, we did start with a fair very tough topic, but I am excited to revisit that in Monday many But I just thought, how interesting that these two things happened on the same date, kind of a couple of years apart. New Beginnings for you twenty two is my favorite number.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't I didn't plan it, obviously, but hey, look at that. The universe new, the universe new. And I have been feeling weirdly, nostalgicallyly. I'm not sure why, but so I've been thinking about this and yeah, if if you haven't listened to Savor, you can't. We do talk about a lot of feminist stuff over on there. There's a lot of crossover there, there really is. And you've been on Savers.
Speaker 2: And Lauren's been on here for a few a few times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always a fun, fun crossover.
Speaker 3: We still haven't done our supernatural one.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is hilarious to me that both you and Lauren during the pandemic.
Speaker 2: We found ourselves.
Speaker 1: You went on a supernatural journey my friends, which we did talk about odd Smitty a lot when you and I first started, Yes, but yeah, yeah, And we just recorded our Savior anniversary episode with super producers Dylan and Andrew who used to be producers of Sminty, and we talked about that for a little bit. But that was one of the things I was thinking about too, is sometimes we'll get questions from people just you know, asking curious about why.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Sometimes people ask me like why do you do it this way and Savor and this way and Spinte. One of the things that I find kind of humorous is that on Savor, Lauren does the big thing at the end, the social media thing, and then on Spinty I do it and it's sort of because I was so like, I was the newbie when I was on Saver, so I was like too afraid to do it, and then when you started.
Speaker 2: It right.
Speaker 3: The very few episodes that I've ever been by myself and I've done it, I make sure to have your script up because it makes me so nervous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just funny because it's sort of like these artifacts of things that I'm sure a lot of people don't understand, but to us, it's just like, oh yeah, because I was doing it when Samantha wasn't there, so I just kept going. But yeah, I'm so glad that you and I found each other for this show, and you helped me out both on this show and on the Savor by having some support. So thank you well.
Speaker 3: Happy anniversary to both ye, Happy anniversary podcast aniversary.
Speaker 1: I'll take it. I'll take it, yes, And happy podcast aversary to you too, well. Listeners. I hope that this was in any way relatable enjoyable, but I appreciate you letting me go down memory lane. Yes for seconds.
Speaker 2: I love it. Thank you for sharing.
Speaker 1: I still have so many things from that south By Southwest trip because they give out so many free things there you know that. I just I'm looking around like, oh yeah, I remember when I wrote that faris feel and they gave me this. South By Southwest is a scene.
Speaker 2: It is a scene.
Speaker 1: It is It's like a theme park at one section. Wow, one day we should go.
Speaker 2: I want to go.
Speaker 3: Well, I kind of there's a whole lot of uh controversy right now.
Speaker 2: But then also like, yeah, poor Texas.
Speaker 3: I know Texas is trying though, are people in Texas are trying?
Speaker 2: Yes, we support you.
Speaker 1: Know, we do. We do support you. We do absolutely well. Cheers to you, listeners, Cheers to you, and I to us. If you would like to contact us, you can Our email is Stuff Media mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok. It's ephone never told you. We have a tea public store, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executive producer Maya, and our contractor Joey. Thank you and thanks to you for listening. Stuff I never told you. This is production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts or my Heart Radio You can check out the iHeart Radio at Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite show.