Speaker 1: Hello, this is Let's talk about MIT's baby, and I am your host, live here with a very brief intro into it. Just a little bonus episode that we've put together for you today, And by we, I do mean I asked the wonderful Laura Smith, my audio engineer and production to assistant, to scramble together a little bit of a recap episode. Maybe basically, Laura has pulled together portions of two conversations that I aired last year about I mean, not directly necessarily about Hitterai, but featuring Hitterai, and so these are some bits of those conversations which will essentially just help you to further understand the episode that I released this past Tuesday about Hitteri and ancient Greece. And I just thought that they would be a great little accompaniment. And frankly, my computer crashed and I lost the introduction I'd already recorded, and now I've forgotten what I said. But it'll be a fun episode just featuring some further information about these really fascinating women from the ancient world. I just love the idea that we can talk about very real women and the lives they led, good or bad. And I'm so thrilled to be able to bring that to you.
Speaker 2: H M.
Speaker 1: This is the bonus episode. Selections from my conversations with Melissa Funky and Rebecca Fujo Kennedy. The foreign women aspect, now that's all I can think about, you know, seeing the Amazons as this kind of like invading foreign women for h and.
Speaker 2: And and that's one of the earliest so in the when they you know, they didn't start rebuilding the the part of the the acropolis buildings until you know, the build they started commenced with the building of the Parthenon in four forty seven, But there was a lot of building activity in Athens starting in the four sixties, and it was sponsored by Kimone, who was the son of Miltiades, who was the general who led the Day Marathon the Battle of Marathon, and one of the most famous buildings that he sponsored his sister Elpinike, who was the daughter of so Kimone and Elpinike were both the children of Miltides by a foreign woman, by a Thracian princess, and so they often had this like Elpanique especially had this reputation for being a sort of big time party girl, and one of the other women who was well known as a big time party girl. Even gets her own verb is Corsirah, who was probably the daughter of Pisisteritis. In Aristophanes's Uh, one of Aristophes' plays, there's a character who's like he's referred to as being corsirified, meaning he like meaning he's like really like you all into like showy luxury kind of things. But yeah, so they he married alpinike Off. Miltiades dies in prison because he's in debt to the city because the Athenians they're never really kind to their successful generals because they're always worried that they're going to try and overthrow the democracy, so they're always setting them into exile or like something. Right, So Miltides dies in debtors prison because he was charged fifty talents for a botched attempt to take a territory for them, and in order to pay it off, Chimon Mary's his sister off to like the wealthiest man in Athens, and they go on this building spree and sort of build on these buildings in the Agora, and one of the most famous is a building called the Stoa Poikil at the painted Stoa. It's famous because this is where the Stoics get their name. This is where they hung out. But it was famous because it was painted. It had these four paintings in the building, and then later which i'll i'll describe the painting in the second so you can see how this sort of works out. But then later during the Pelpesian War, it was this building where when the Athenians defeated and captured a group of over two hundred Spartans at the island of s Bacteria in four twenty five, they took their shields, as you know, trophies, and they hung them on this building. Wow, and we have one. It's in the Agora Museum. It's very cool. Yeah. But so the building had four paintings in it. Two were mythical, two were historical. The first one is and I can't remember the exact order of them, but they're sort of paired up. But the first one is the Invasion of the Amazons, right, which has Theseus and Heracles sort of fighting the Amazons. Next to it is the Battle of Marathon. And one of things that's very interesting is that the descriptions of the painting that we have from Pausanias, who who saw the paintings describes the Persians and the Amazons of both wearing like leopard print, you know, the sort of they're given the same sort of fits, right, and so you see this also on vase paintings, and so a lot of scholars have argued, our historians have argued that we should see the Amazon stories as an analog for the Persian Wars, which I think is you know, fine. But one of the things that's interesting about the Marathon battle is it shows the sort of protected protective gods and spirits sort of popping up in the corner. And so Athena of course pops up, and theseus pops up. No tieties and kimone claim to be descended from theseus, which is another tie in here, which I'll explain another story in a second. But so so theseus pops up, you know, Pan is there and they're sort of all in the background. And that's the pair that's the painting right next to the ball of the Amazon Anarchy. Then next to that is the the Sack of Troy, which you would think is a really weird thing to put on this building, but it also of course shows up on the Parthenon. But the Sacatory shows up, but the way it's described give you an insight as to why it is on an Athenian monument to Athenians in the center of the painting, and again the Trojans are described as wearing these like leopard print outfits, sort of like the New Jersey Housewives sort of tracksuit with you know, with a Scithian hat, and they are so again we have Trojan war as analogy becomes in this period analogy for Persian wars and the Trojans. This is that when the Trojans finally become Persianified right instead of being Greek as they appear in the homer But the the thing in the center shows the judgment of a guy named little Ajax or ajax Locris, So he's the guy who raped Cassandra on the altar of Zeus and it shows a trial for him according to Pausanias. And there's also a play by Softles that's that was put on around the same time as this building went up, called the ajax Locris, which has as its central feature a trial scene of ajax Locris and the people who the two people shown leading with trial are the two sons of theseus who are inserted into the catalog of ships as having been at the Battle Troy. So Chimone, So, so what's happening simultaneously is one of the things of Chimon's claim to fame is that he because people don't remember that theseus got banished at the end of his life. This is why he's living in toison with Hippolyta, with not with a falta with Fedra and his son Hippolytus. He was kicked out because he killed the fifty sons of the palace, but he had gone to the island of Skyros, where he ended up being buried after his death. And Chimone goes and reclaims his bones and brings them back and reburies them in Athens, right, he finds a super sized skeleton and brings it back because this is the only way they can, like, you know, gain victory, uh in a in a war, you know, of some battle of some sort, and so so he but he does so also by laying claim to his relationships. So we have these three paintings and they're all painted by uh they're painted by different people, but one of them, the Troy, is painted by a painter famous painter named Polygnotus, who is also very famous for his base paintings of Amazon amazon amochies and things. He's also good friends with Sophocles, the playwright who put this play together, and they're all good friends with Pericles. But Polygnotus was also suggested that he had an affair with Elpinike Kim's sister. So, you know, it's like it's like, you know, the the you know what is it, the the real Housewives, the real of Athens kind of thing. But these are all the move and shakers who are passing the laws, funding the buildings that are presenting these new mythologies and embedding them within the Athenian imagination and literally into the landscape by putting them on buildings in the landscape. So you have all this stuff sort of going on where all of a sudden, Amazons and the Trojan War all become analogies for the Persian wars, and then you have these very specific stories that elevate the Athenians in these context, long before the Athenians were ever considered a major player in the Greek stage.
Speaker 1: Right, the Amazonomichi, we've talked like a little bit about that. I know it was like an enormous iconographic setting or you know however I should phrase that, but like you know that it kind of appeared on everything, and so like I don't know quite what I'm asking, but basically it seems to me that there was like a level of respect for the Amazonomicchy, for the Amazons generally, but then still always depicting them as being both defeated by Athens and also this like you know, the foreign aspect. So yeah, I mean, is it always kind of them to Persia or yeah?
Speaker 2: No? So so Andy Stewart, who great art historian who recently just passed away. I loved him, his wonderful human being. But he wrote an article back he was sort of one of the big experts on Koroi and Korey statues, the sort of maiden statues, but also Athenian red figure painting and at pottery and sculpture, and he wrote an article gosh, it might haven't have been in the nineties, but definitely early two thousands of the latest on vas representations of the Amazons and the Amazon Homichy. And one of the things that he so so what he basically argued, and once you see it, you can't and see it. You see it on every vase. Like the Amazons are represented in two ways. One, they're represented simultaneously as foreign invaders. Right, they've got like the skithi and cap on, and they've got animal print leggings and everything. But over top of those animal print leggings and the animal print or like fancy designed leotard, is the keton of of of a parthenos, which is the pre marry, unmarried girl who is available for marriage, like this is the coming of age girl. And his argument was that they are simultaneously figures of fear and danger but also desire. And so I saw a vase painting in the Vatican Museum which he had never seen. But I think it guarantees his interpretation in some ways, because it's not just that they're wearing the guises of the parthenoi. Sometimes they have the leopard prints and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they just have the keton on, but that marks them as desirable.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But in this particular, it's got a Greek warrior running in one direction and he's looking backwards, and it's got an Amazon following him, chasing him, and she's looking at him as well, and it is what we call a callos face. So someone used this vase as a gift for someone that they thought was beautiful and that they were in love with. But the vase has Callos over the male figure and calais over the Amazon. So here you have a Greek Amazon sort of erotic, erotically charged love scene. They're in the middle of a battle against each other, but they're gazing at each other with desire. And this is recognized by whoever owned this pot, because they chose to gift this pot as a sign of erotic affection to a beloved. So I think that there's something about you know, and I think this is where Hippolytus as a mythological figure stands at this focus, because the thing that is wrong with Hippolytus is his rejection of eroticism and physical love entirely. He is he says I have the heart of a Parthenos in his speech. He doesn't say that he hates when he says I have the heart of a Parthenos. And that's going to read weird to anybody in an Athenian audience, right, But that's representing one of the desirable figures about the Amazon. Because He's a male Amazon, right, He's just an Amazon in a man's body. He's a Parthenos, which makes him eligible for and should be desired for marriage, but he rejects it. And so But I think this is what the Amazon is such an interesting figure for them, is that it's not that they're an analogy necessarily for the Persian War itself. They can be used that way, but then they also because of the gender aspect of the Amazons and what they represent, they are the sort of a locus of anxiety about attension between fear and desire. M But they're in danger, a threat to the very fabric of how Athenian life is social life is structured. But that in some ways makes them, makes them want them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes them so interesting. I mean, I imagine there's got to be some kind of inherent tie there too to the fact that they are women warriors, right, like the fear of women in that.
Speaker 2: Role probably, I mean, this is one of the things that makes them. They reject men, they reject marriage, they reject the inside, and they live in the outside. M m.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's like everything Athenian women can't do, right.
Speaker 2: The ideals for the Athenian woman are are like, they're the opposite, but at the same time they embody this one element of the desired pre wife. M right, they're sexually appealing.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. I love that you've not said the word virgin once. By the way, I appreciate that the pre wife is such a good way of describing that.
Speaker 2: Well, because the word part So this is a problem, right a woman, As far as we can tell in our sources, a woman doesn't become a wife officially until she gives birth to her first child. Really, the actual birds the word yes, so that's what stops you from It's not having sex. That's not what makes you not at parthenos, it's having a child. If you sort of do a deep dive into the actual uses of the words in their connotations for women, the dividing line between between parthenos and Gune's childbirth, it's not marriage itself.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: It's not sex. It's not sex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really interesting. I've like over the course of the podcast, I've you know, changed how I phrase things based on because you know, nine times out of ten you read and in a translation it's gonna say the word virgin like almost always, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's wrong. I mean it's it's well, it's only wrong if you conceptualize virgin in the way that Christianity conceptualizes virgin, if you sort of write, if you rethink that like the Greeks actually have where we have evidence that rigidity was renewable, like it was one something you've lost and done, Like you could like not have sex for six months and then you are ritually pure again to be a priestess for a cult, and so you're a version again. Yeah. Right, It's like there are ways around the around that rule. And Sharon James wrote a really short, sort of little study of a poem by Archillicus in this like mass it's like this massive six hundred page companion to Women in the Ancient World, and she writes this like little three page analysis of this little it's a fragmented poem by Archiloicus in which he seduces the sister of like the woman who rejected him or something like that. I can't remember the whole story, but it's it's basically evidence that pre marital sex was not out with respectable women, like right, right, Like the pre marital sex wasn't the thing, like as long as you didn't get pregnant. It's like her argument is like, there's this is there's this is evidence that having sex before marriage was not the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense to in relation to like all the mythological stories of the same time, it's like anytime that that like it needs to kind of serve a purpose where a god, you know, has sex with a mortal woman, like there's always going to be a child because yeah, well yes, of course exactly. They get to do what they want with it. But that's yeah, it's interesting to I mean, I'm just I'm fascinated now by the giving birth aspect because I, like I said, like I've kind of shifted my own phrasing to say unmarried and to clarify you know that that when often when you see the word virgin, it doesn't mean what we think today it means unmarried. But now knowing that it's more about like when the actual birth takes places even more fascinating. That feels like a very late moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's actually quite a few good articles on this. I did a I did a I wrote a book review of the New Greek Lexicon, because that's what we do. We review dictionaries, but they commissioned two different reviews, so one of the reviewers did a sort of general look at the sort of language of the dictionary, and I did a look specifically at the language of race and ethnicity and of gender and women, because this was one of the big things that the writers of the dictionary were really super interested in doing, is updating the language around women and gender and sexuality, because you know that nineteenth century Victorian dictionaries so out of touch with you know, they basically turned the ancient Greeks into Victorians the way they translated these terms, and that's where that term virgin is in there. If you look at the sort of newer Greek dictionary, the new Cambridge Lexicon of the Greek language, like, they're much more nuanced in understanding how the word parthenos, you know, or the word gunei or palaque all sort of all these different htayra which everyone also translates chora, but they're actually six different uses of the term. Paula Que actually has like four different uses, one of which is just means a temple attendant doesn't have anything to do with their relationship to men. So you know, when you actually do deep dives into the usages and you're not being shaded by your sort of Victorian morality. You realize that that these terms have a lot more nuance and they don't fit cleanly into our assumptions about how we want to rebuild the ancient Greeks in our image.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that. I mean, I still I've brought this up recently another conversation when I learned that heteros is often translated as companan or like comrade.
Speaker 2: Well, that's yeah, hit tyros, right, is your your drinking buddies?
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: Is the is a whore? You know it's a high class one. Yeah, So I wrote an article on this because the criteria that people use to classify what is and isn't a hittyrah. And this goes back to an article by Leslie Kirk who was like, hittyrae are courtizans. They get they get gifts. They don't get paid for sex. They get gifts, and a porne is someone who gets paid money for sex. Right, that's very narrow narrow. There are these women, they do exist, right, But this is there's no sort of grand horizontale demimonde hittyra you know it could accord it. Grand court is ins in in fifth centry Athens. But women like Elpinike, who I mentioned earlier, Kaimo's sister. She is probably someone who would have been called a Hittyrah in her own time period, but not as a Cordison. She's known to be a citizen, she's known to be a wife of like the wealthiest Callius, the wealthiest man in Athens. But she's a party girl. I mean, we have all these vases from antiquity that show women at symposia, some of them just women together, and we know that there were women only symposia of they're called symposia, they are called a pennitis, but they My argument in the article was that when we see this term used in the context of the symposium, we have to be careful because it may in fact be that what we're talking about are these wealthy Athenian women who were hanging out together and having parties with each other in the same way that they're Tyroi, the male guys are getting together and having parties together, and that this is like Corsira, you know, this wealthy woman who was known for partying and known for luxury, and these are publicly known figures. These are not women who weren't named. These women were named in very public space, is and shamed. There was a rumor that Elpinike and her brother Kaimun were having an incestuous relationship that was circulating. She was accused of having an affair with Polly Noticed, the painter. But my funtest piece of evidence for Elpinike and for Courseira both is that the Athenians had this thing that I also referred to as the anti election right. So every you would have an election every year if you get a quorum to ostracize, to kick somebody out of the cities, you ostracize and you kick them out for ten years. They don't lose their citizenship, they don't lose their property, or they just have to move out for ten years and they're not allowed back in the city. And normally you would do this if you think somebody is like getting they're aiming at tyranny. It's an anti tyranny law, right, But it was often just used by politicians. Like we know, the last ostracism to take place was like Alcibiades and Nikias were both up to be ostracized, and they got together and colluded to make sure a third person that wasn't either of them got ostracized and the dude, innocent guy who did nothing right, And the Athenians were like, okay, this is like being corrupted. Can't use this anymore.
Speaker 1: That makes sense?
Speaker 3: That checks it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, right, totally, but yeah, so, but Kaimon gets ostracized, and so does a guy named Megacles who's the son of Corsira. And on the ostracon we have ostracon, which are the broken pieces of pottery after which the process is named where you carve the name of the person you want to kick out. And so Megacles has Megacles and has the father's name and has son of Corsira. Like, you don't put the mother's name on there unless the mother name carries a negative value for you, right. Megacles is a guy who while he was off in ostracism land, he went and won the Olympic chariot race. Like he's like, I don't give a fuck, like kick me out of the city. I've got so much money, I don't live wherever I want. He was totally living his best wife, Kaimon, you know the one that from Chyro And it says Kimon son of Miltietes. Take your sister La bone Elpini kane Ito, taking a panique, go get out, and it uses eto the duel so it wants so she's again named and shamed. It's like everybody knows who comeent is take your sister and get the hell out of the city. So these are the women who I think that are the originating words for the sort of negative use of this term katayra. These are party girls. And so when you see later in the fourth century, these women who are sort of not available for marriage, often because they're foreign women, so they can't you know, after the in the fourth century, you know, after four fifty one, the children if you marry a form woman they can't become a citizen. There are still reasons to marry form women because you maybe have citizen children from your first marriage, and so you don't want any more citizen children. But because you have to divide the property equally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the property will just keep.
Speaker 2: Getting smaller and smaller every generation. But when they ban marriage finally in the fourth century, you know, these fore women are completely ineligible for marriage, but they're they're getting paid to come to parties and you know, things like this. So, but those negative connotations I think actually root back to these like really famous, wealthy, don't give a fuck party girls. They're like the Kardashians of their generation. I think. I always think like Paris Hilton, you know, and sort of her heydays.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna age myself by yeah, suggesting Paris Hilton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Like that's sort of you know, and it is that these are the they were, you know, they were in all the time. If we had legal speeches from that period, we know that like friends of Pericles were charged with heresy, would violate, you know, with with sacrileges, and Espagia was supposedly one of these people. Wellspasia is a wealthy foreign woman who is probably married to Pericles. Her sister was married to you know, Alcibiety's the elder. She's not a prostitute. She's living in Perracles's home, She's not running a brothel out of Pericles's home. Like, these are just stories that we tell to demonize these women because they don't fit into our boxes. I actually just wrote the New Ancient History Encyclopedia entry on Aspasia, and you know, pulled in all the evidence to show that this calling this woman at a courtas and or or a madam is just absolutely historically inaccurate and you need to stop people. Yeah, but she's part of this sort of this sort of mythoss of these sort of wealthy elite women, Yeah, who were sort of functioned, they were companions of each other. Yeah, because that's how Sappho talks about She used just the word hit tire to talk about her girlfriends that she hangs out with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it makes sense. Just it's yeah, I mean I just can't.
Speaker 2: I mean when you brought that just like hits one of my pet peeves about no scholarship and no.
Speaker 1: I'm not thrilled to hear all of that. I mean, it's it's amazing. Like so actually, just last week I also recorded with Melissa Funky, who's just rich. Yeah, she's wonderful, and she's got this book coming out about free Nay and so like a lot of this is like connecting right into that conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I actually argue in my Immigrant Women book, I have a little tiny bit on Frene because she shows up in these courtroom discourses. I argued that Frene was not actually prosecuted. You know she was prosecuted because of her relationship with an Athenian man, because she had crossed the boundary that she shouldn't have crossed in this period. But she probably actually, based on the evidence we have, I think she was actually very much integrated into sort of upper class society as the priestess of a foreign cult.
Speaker 1: M interesting.
Speaker 2: We have evidence that she's she's told she was accused in numerous documents. She's accused of bringing foreign gods into the city. And one of the things that she was the sacrilest trial that she was put on trial for was for worshiping a foreign god. But she's hanging out with like all the people that she's there in this context are all wealthy citizens. So she crossed the citizen foreigner boundary in a way that she shouldn't have. But she is not a prostitute or you know, it's like it just doesn't make sense. But she probably was associated in some ways with parties and you know, the wealthy life and potentially with foreign cult. But a lot of foreigners living in Athens, particularly in Piraeus, are associated with foreign cults because foreign cults all had the iss called magnamater. There's so many foreign gods that were brought in to Athens through the port. So a lot of them are priestesses. We have all these tombstones for priestesses a foreign cults. Is it?
Speaker 1: It's Frani? Is that right?
Speaker 3: Or okay? So this is actually a bone of contention.
Speaker 1: Great, let's start there.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Sure I have always called her Franny because of the way that people in North America tend to anglicize certain sounds or from Greek. But Brits call her Phryni, and I suspect Australians too, And so I have had British people like be very scandalized, like, surely you mean Phryni. And you know I call her Frianny. Yeah, I've heard other people call her Frenny. We're not using ancient Greek here too, write so like Frani is no more accurate than Frinny for fun. So right, you know.
Speaker 3: I call her Freddy.
Speaker 4: But I suspect there will be some Brits going, oh my god, what is she doing to this poor name?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? I I prefer it that way, I swear. I mean so many times I'll hear British people pronounce names and it's like it's like they're going with a Shakespearean version, and it so often sounds too much like that to me that I'm like, I kind of prefer almost the North American versions of saying a lot of the names. So I certainly do that too. I've had conversations where I'm like, we're just pronouncing it two different ways throughout, and it is what it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean, I have moments all the time where I'm like, how do I want to say this name? Do I want like to should a kappa be a sea like a soft sea in English?
Speaker 3: But I do it.
Speaker 4: I do it enough, and I tend to pick when i'm teaching what my students are most likely to hear.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah, I certainly make so, especially when it comes to the k Like, yeah, it's very tough to decide with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, it's not a living language in the same way. So if if I were speaking someone's name, for example, obviously I'm not gonna be like, nah, it's coming out the way I'm saying it. Yeah, you know, obviously I would never do that to a person who is alive. I feel like Frenny can handle it. If my pronunciation of her name is like the least distorted aspect of her that has made it to twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: So well, that leads to the perfect way of like the way I kind of wanted to start this, which is just that. So her story, I feel like, unlike most things from ancient Greece, has become like a meme that goes around fairly often of just like that one moment. I won't spoil it all, but that one moment that she seems to be so famous for, and that is all that I know about her. So I really want to hear everything, not least because she's a real ancient woman, So just yeah, please tell me everything.
Speaker 4: So, because it's summer break, I've been kind of, you know, spending time on social media, and I was like, okay, I'm going to just look up on TikTok, Like what do you get for Frenny on TikTok? And You're right, she is a meme. The first thing you get is, oh, she's this woman who flashed her way to freedom, I think is one of the headlines that I've seen, but who was naked in front of people, right, and in a way like that is true, Like She describe her as a meme is not incorrect, Like she's an ancient meme basically, this woman, and so all the stories of her are just various memes that have become compiled in all of these different ways. But there is a real woman at the heart of all this, and we can't quite discover her. And that's just something that you have to accept with a woman like Frenny, figure like Franny, because of the way her stories and details about her have been recorded, is that we're never going to dig down to who is the real Frinny. We might as well hope to find the real Helen of Troy, right, there's no there's no chance. But if we kind of look at the collected stories, that's where we start to get an image of what possibilities there were for a woman like her.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so Freddy, the.
Speaker 4: Story that we are alluding to here, by the way, is the story of her trial.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So she went on trial in fourth century Athens for impiety, and just when it seemed like she was about to be convicted, and it was possible in this kind of a case that it could have been a capital trial, right, she could have been at risk of being put to death, and there are different stories. In one of the stories, one of the versions, she reveals herself. In the other one, the fellow who is representing her high varieties that basically her lawyer in the courtroom, he whips off her dress and she's, of course so outrageously beautiful that all the men, and of course the jury is composed of Athenian citizen men. Of course we're all sitting there.
Speaker 3: Go, oh my god, she's so beautiful.
Speaker 4: And in some of the sources they say it's almost like they're struck with religious awe, like they're looking at Afrodai almost right, and that this this sense of this beauty right causes them to acquit her. So this is this is probably the most famous story about her of the many that are told. But the two most famous stories about her involved nudity.
Speaker 3: Right. So that's the thing about Frinny.
Speaker 4: She is famously, you know, one of the most beautiful women, or at least most attractive women, and she is periodically naked in very prominent settings in public. So the other story about Frinny that is often told, and this there's only one ancient source that actually really makes this connection directly, but is that she is the model for the aphrodite of Cnidos, right, So, yeah, so, and for those who aren't familiar with this statue, you've seen images of it for sure, even if you don't know what it's called. It's the first it's known as the first monumental female nude. So the first nude female statue that is sort of life size are bigger, Right. So, there's other nude images on vase, paintings, on curved freezes and things, but not these statues that would be put into a temple, right. So, yeah, so there's this very famous statue. People will be familiar probably with the image of Abouticelli's Birth of Venus, right, that is that pose is based on the aphrodity of Canidos. So the story the one source that we have from Athenaeus, this late Roman author from Egypt. Right, he says that that Frinny she was again well known in fourth century Athens.
Speaker 3: She's a sex worker. We haven't even touched on that yet, but she's a very famous, exclusive sex worker.
Speaker 4: And she goes to a festival down by the sea, and it seems to be that a festival down in Eleusis, which is sort of in northern Attica, and she's down by the sea and she goes and bathes in thee and as she emerges nude before this crowd, everyone again is kind of struck with awe. And there happened to be a couple of the most famous artists of classical Greece there, Praxidis, the sculptor who sculpts the Aphrodite of Canidos, and Appeles, who is the painter who paints the aphrodite. It's called afrodite anaduomine. So rising from the sea basically, and again that's a very famous pose we'd be kind of familiar with, where it's a nude woman rising out of the sea and she's, of course I'm doing the actions for this and we're on a podcast, but she's sort of wringing out her hair on either side of her head.
Speaker 3: So it's a very famous poems.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna end up talking about that pose probably later anyways. But anyways, of course, you know, these two most famous visual artists who have probably the most impact on visual art, on sculpture, on painting in ancient Greece, just happened to be there to see this famously beautiful woman emerging right, So yes, so she's her fame is largely centered on sort of appearing naked in public.
Speaker 3: At just the right time.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love that for her. What a way to leave a memory. But also especially when it comes to ancient Athens, because like, we don't know a lot of real women who did things that could get them that famous, and that's fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like who are the women whose names we know? A student once asked me this. I was teaching a class on fourth century Athens, and he was like, can you name can you name a woman?
Speaker 3: What are the named women?
Speaker 4: And so I said frenny and then I said lice, And then I just was naming.
Speaker 3: All sex workers, right, which is fine.
Speaker 4: It's okay to know about sex workers, but I couldn't name just regular sort of everyday citizen women or enslaved women. Certainly, and if I was in a pigrapher, if I studied ription, yeah, I probably know a few from gravestones and things like that. But in terms of the ones that I know offhand, I know a little bit about their lives, I know a little bit about their identities. That's it, right, is mostly sex workers?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm thinking Aspasia is the other one that I couldn't think of it because she fourth or fifth, but like, yeah, I mean not a lot, and she's also.
Speaker 3: A century yeah right, but she's also she gets called a sex worker. She gets called a sex worker.
Speaker 4: Okay, she is not likely to have been a sex worker, but she's a woman in public, so why not call her a sex worker?
Speaker 1: Anyways, I think that's how they that course, that's what they were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there are people, there are some people who have suggested even that women like Frenny and so the term that I would apply to her is hittyra, which it just literally means female companion. But like that it just means companion blew my mind because yeah, the way that it is used interchangeably with sex worker.
Speaker 1: All of the time. Yeah, and then I saw it used in relation to Patrick clus and I was like, I'm sorry, it just means companion, and like, yeah, we're translitting it about men, we're saying comrade, and when we're translating about women, we're saying often straight horror. And you're like, okay, then yah, it is the same. Really, that's what we're doing. So yeah, that's fascinating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, in the way that I think that we would also use euphemisms today if I was like, oh I saw so and so and he had a companion, wink wink. You know, it's that kind of thing. But then you get this slippage where you can apply it to women who are in public with men, right, who are not their husbands, and so then it's like are they sex workers? Are they just women who are not doing what you expect or want them to do? So and even in fourth century Athens, especially in the legal trials, right, because quite a few of the sex workers end up on trial.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Think about nay Iira is a good example of this, and there's a very clever way that the speakers use the term hitira because they're kind of suggesting, oh, companion wink wink, the kind of woman that you would give gifts to, wink wink. And then you know, in against Aira, for example, the speaker towards the end he's like, actually she's a porne. She's just a regular old prostitute. So you see, even then they're really aware that there is slippage in this term. So yes, you're right, like in the modern world, we can't just assume if someone calls someone a sex worker, that they are a sex worker, right, I mean, the same is true in the modern world too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Well, and it's just so interesting to have that differentiation because I think, like I'm just thinking of translations, because that's what I come across most. Yeah, so often you get hitterra a hittera, like when it's about a woman translated in these like really derogatory ways. When it I mean, it does just be mean companion. But also, like you said, there's the differentiation between a hitterra and a porne, which is like like ones like I used to, I tend to call them like fancy sex workers on my show, like when I'm referring to the yeah, exact type like you know, more like an escort versus you know, a more you know, the porna is being like more traditional kind of I guess, street style sex workers. But so often in translations it is just like straighthore or something, and it just makes me think of, I mean, just the way things have been translated for us and how that's impacted everything.
Speaker 4: But yes, I mean that's a really big problem, right, Like with with the hittyraye in particular, it's a huge problem. But yeah, there's there's a real like slippage between the terms and definitely like we can't as scholars go, oh, okay, well you like we don't have the receipts to go, oh, well, you charged by the hour, so you're a porne. Oh did you accept a really expensive necklace? Obviously you're a hit TYRT. Like there's gonna be some major slippage there. And even when it comes to like sex work, how do we determine, like what actually is a sex worker? Because the hit Ti ray it seems we're sometimes brought into people's houses for like long term relationships.
Speaker 3: Does is that sex work?
Speaker 4: In my books, it kind of is right, or like there are enslaved people in houses who are basically doing sexual labor, but they're not really like maybe they're not sex workers because that's not how they make a living. Like there's so much slippage there with sexual labor as a whole. And then the terms we use, because they're so often meant to be derogatory, it's really hard to you know, to know, and then you make a bunch of assumptions too about again women in public, women in the wrong place, and ticky boo, we have some misogyny there, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this comes up. I've spoken to Elidie Harper, who wrote The wolf Den, a few times, and I remember like that she was so specific in how she was talking about it, because at least in the first book, like the character is in the actual like The wolf Den, the brothel in POMPEII, And so she made a point of using the word prostitute. She was like she was being prostituted by somebody else, Like there's a difference there between the kind of empowerment that often can come with the term sex worker and it. Yeah, I mean, especially in those cases, like the differences is important to kind of clarify because it, I mean, it's just all about agency and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I genuinely suspect that a woman like Freddy who ended up becoming so famous and so prominent, her beginnings were probably not very pleasant. Again, I'm not going to guarantee anything about this, but you know, the odds are not impossible that she was probably enslaved as a child. And we know again and from speeches like against Naira, that women were brought into the sex trade enslaved very often and often very young. Like the speaker who's talking about Naira says she was basically too young. She wasn't mature enough when she started in sex.
Speaker 3: It's dire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you're.
Speaker 1: Too young, like then, yeah, yeah, then it's.
Speaker 4: Really too young exactly. Yeah, certainly by like twenty twenty three standards, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's it's very easy to be like, oh, she was this beautiful woman who like showed up on the seaside and was, you know, inspired these artists. But when you really think about the power dynamics that were at play probably for most of her life, even once she became and I think it's very likely that she did become very wealthy at some point, there's still the way that Athenian society is set up in particular. You know, anyone can grab her and pop her into court, and she's got to stand there before a bunch of Athenian citizen men and hope that they're not going to put her to death or do something terrible to her. So I think it's very easy when we look at these stories of the HITTI write, to get sort of swept up into the you know, the glamour of it, but there's like a really non glamorous core there that we have to keep in mind all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if she was on trial for impiety, like do we know what that looked like? Do we know what she did or what they did she did?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a great question. Okay, So she is one of our sources mentions that she's accused of introducing new gods, which is also the same for Socrates. It's basically the same charges that Socrates got charged with. And I, you know, thinking about Frenny, I was like, Okay, Frenny's actually kind of in a sense, she's like a parallel to Socrates. And so it's not uncommon to put philosophers and Hittyride together. So like the later Roman authors have a blast they put they make jokes about it all the time about how silly it is to kind of pair these two, and they always have like the hitti Rie are sort of more clever than the the philosophers. Half the time they're getting the best of these famous men, but they're all people who are like trying. They're trying to spend time with wealthy, typically younger Athenian men from elite families and they're like making some money off of this too, Socrates less so, but they are getting something from this relationship. But again, ultimately that power still rests with those elite young men in a way, even though it doesn't seem that way, And so they're vulnerable if public opinion turns. If those men turn on them, they're in big trouble. Which is, it's not quite that the young men that were following Socrates turned on him, but enough public sentiment did, right, and there he was up on trial. And so Frinny is the same. The suggestion is that the fellow who brought her to court, a fellow named Uthius, had been her lover previously and brought her to court. And then the fellow, of course who defends her Hypperieties is like a famous patron of sex workers. He's apparently got like two or three on the go in different households around at when he steps up to defend Frenny. Again, like, these all come from different sources, So I think you know much of it. We have to to really think about a little bit more critically. But these are the stories that are told about her. So yeah, she goes up for trial for impiety. Basically, she's been having gatherings in the lyceum, and of course the lyceum is where Aristotle's school is, right, like that further connection to our philosophers. She's introduced a new god. The name of the god in one of the sources is Esodites, who is like a sort of connected to Dionysus. Right, so's she's doing things that are making people uncomfortable, I think, is the moral of that story. But the punishment in these court cases is not fixed. So what happens in first century Athens when these charges are brought You have a sort of the main trial to see if you're guilty or not, and then you have a second sort of mini trial over what the punishment will be. So you can propose it's the same thing that happens to Socrates. Actually that anyone's ever read socrates Apology is the exact same thing where he gets to propose a sort of an easier punishment for himself. Anyways, and so but the concern is that she could be put to death over this, and again that that moment of revelation is what saves her and saves her life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just the idea that she was too hot for them to kill.
Speaker 3: Like, that's pretty great, that's it right there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so, I mean I realized I should have started this with the note that I will in my introduction anyway, But you've written a book on her, so that, I mean one that's so cool and obviously that's why we're talking. But like, how much do we know we know a book's worth about this woman.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so I I certainly.
Speaker 4: Well I have done. But also there's that like speculation using evidence of other similar figures where you're like, okay, there is this court case about Naira that is one of our most full some sources about the life of any woman in the fourth century, even though it's written from the perspective of someone who is obviously trying to slender her and you know, depict her as this horrible person, but it actually gives us a lot of insight into what the life of a sex worker might have been like. So I'm not saying that Frenny and Nairah are the same, but they lived at the same time, right. The trial of Nairah happened in the three forties when Frinny was pretty active in Athens, so we can kind of go okay, were they were kind of peers in a way, right, they have something in common. And so whether Frinny's story is identical or just shares elements people like Naeirah, and those stories give us this space to kind of speculate in a generative way, which is what we're always doing with Frinny because all of her stories are fragments, right that fragments make you fill in the blanks. So anytime we encounter her, So what are the stories about Frenny?
Speaker 3: Like, what do we know? Okay, we know her. Frinny's a nickname.
Speaker 4: It means toad because her compunction was so pale, And I always always trying to figure out, like what is toad like about a woman's appearance.
Speaker 1: So especially not famously beautiful like she being hot, but her name means toad, Like, Okay, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: How I know.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's kind of like when you call a tall guy shorty, you know, right.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like that maybe, but I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: When I was researching this book, I did look at a lot of pictures of toads just to kind of explore how that metaphor might be working. But yeah, so we know that her original name was manisa Ete, which means like sort of recalling virtue, and she was or excellence. I suppose she was from Thespi or connected to Thespi. Spis in Biotia, which is north of Attica, So she's from Thespi or she has a connection. So some people have suggested her family lived in Athens as resident foreigners, and you would never be an Athenian if you're a resident foreigner, you could never no matter how long or how many generations. In the fourth century, it was impossible basically to become an Athenian. So but I think she probably came to Athens, possibly as a refugee that SBI was destroyed by the Thebans, I think in three seventy one ish, So you know, there's lots of ways that she could have ended up in Athens, but she definitely associated with this town, the Sbi. Okay, so you know what's the deal with the Spi. Well, SBI is famous for its massive sanctuary to the god Aeros, and what's the one you know, Aeros the god of sexy love is how I always translated from my students like desire, right, sexual desire. So you've got the hottest sex worker of the fourth century and she's from the same hometown as like Sexy Love.
Speaker 3: This is all really perfected ideal.
Speaker 4: But I do think she really was connected, you know, if we want to say, Okay, there's a real frenny somewhere in these stories. I do think she's really connected to the SBI. There were statues of her there historically that we know about. There's a coin that references this statue. So at some point the statue was there was of course, like a lot of famous statues, taken out and moved around by the Romans, but it was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a statue of a real woman like that sex worker ended up actually on display.
Speaker 4: That's incredible, on display in a sanctuary. It's a sanctuary to Aros So and apparently it was part of a trio, so Aros, Aphrodite and an afrodite of course, who she's associated with through Prexidilis, but in this very minor way. But yes, so Aphrodite, Prexidiis and Aros all together in this trio, which is great. But there was also a statue of her, a gilded statue at Delphi that was up with a Spartan king and I want to say a famous theban role, but you know, and it was of her, and it wasn't like her posing as someone, it was her as herself. And so you know, you hear there are different anecdotes where people walk in and there, you know, they look at it and they're shocked. Who would put a statue of a sex worker in this, you know in Delphi? Right, But you know she's prominent enough, no matter what, she's prominent enough for it to be accepted that you could find a statue of her in these places. Yeah, which you know, it just has a lot about her profile.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's so cool, it's so cool. Yeah, that just makes me so happy.
Speaker 4: And so like a lot of the writers who think about Frenny, they're really obsessed with these images of her and this connection to Praxicily's. So there's lots of poems epigrams, so that the kind of poem that you would inscribe on a statue base, and often epigrams kind of blur the line between literature and object. So they'll they'll make the object talk if often you know, it'll say you know, like if it's a statue of a cow. Oh, I'm I'm the cow sculpted by Myron. You can practically hear me mooing kind of thing, right. And so for the statues of Frinny or statues connected to Frinny. So there are epigrams about a statue of Aros that was given to Frinny by Praxidiles, and they love to blur the lines in that relationship between like who's the creator, who's inspiring this?
Speaker 3: Is it Aros? Is it Frinny?
Speaker 4: Is Frinny the creator of the statue because she inspired Prexidiles to create this image of Aros, right, and it's this whole yeah, just blurring of lines. There's a very famous letter or fictional letter, i should say, written in the second century CE by a writer named Alcafron, and he's again he's one of these writers writing in Greek under the Roman Empire, and he writes it it's an invitation from Frenny to Prexidis, to this sculptor to come and make love to her beside the statue at this sbi that he has sculpted of her. With the statues of Aeros and Aphrodite, they're like all watching on, right, and she's like you know, like you gave this to me. It's a gift of your love, but from your love for me. And we're not doing anything wrong. We're not defiling anything by making love in a sanctuary. And I suspect that listeners of your podcast know that that's not usually a good thing to do, right, No, you're not doing that there. Don't do that in like Athenis sanctuary because you're not end up in big trouble. But she's like, we're not defiling anything because this is like a divine love that we have, and you've created these divine images. So there's a lot of sort of melding of Frenny with aeros Frenny with Aphrodite, blurring the lines between her and these this divine sort of it's almost like a divine trio Frenny, Aphrodite and aeross together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's a level of irony in there that she was on trial for impiety and then this happened after the fact. Like if anything sounds like impiety, it's like putting a human woman alongside Aerosynaphrodite as like you know, I mean even just connect getting her that close to them in terms of importance and beauty and everything.
Speaker 4: Like exactly or yeah, like putting a picture or a picture and image of her at Delphi? Right, but if you think about and so there's this is actually in it's a dialogue of Plutarch's where you know, a cynic philosopher comes along.
Speaker 3: He's like, what the heck is this doing here?
Speaker 4: This is ridiculous, like any good cynic, right is I don't like anything. But the person with him is like, well, look at everything else here at Delphi. It's all been here because of war, because of terrible things that people have done. Some of it's been stolen. And that's the impiety you're worried about. That's what you find is excessive. And I really love that moment because it's such a great point, right that that you know, like, what is actually so terrible about having this noted woman when you would have you could practically put up a temple to yourself, Not quite a temple, but you know you could you could put up a monument to yourself right inside the most sacred sanctuaries. So why can't Fernie get some action in there? Why?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in the letter I mean literal action too.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: I mean, of course, with the reputation like hers, it's got to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, I mean so I think based on all of these connections to Parksidills and the statues, I do think that at some point she and Practicalys were connected.
Speaker 3: Did they have to have been lovers? I don't think so.
Speaker 4: That's not necessary, right, And that's that's a very common trope that you find, and it starts kind of with stories of people like Frenny and prexidiis that trope that obviously the artist and his model must also have an erotic connection too. They have to be in a relationship of some kind, and that's you know, obviously we know that that's not necessary to create art, but it's a story that like gets told and told and told and told.
Speaker 3: And when artists' models become sort of popular again, you know, especially in the nineteenth century, oh, those stories they start flying around.
Speaker 4: You know, absolutely people are telling those same exact kinds of stories and often connected to images of Frenny too. It goes all the way kind of circles all the way back around again.
Speaker 1: It makes me think, like I obviously I often wonder about this and I don't know anyone who reasonably couldn't. But just like the things that women must have talked about amongst themselves that we don't know, you know, and like yeah, right, like oh yeah, it comes to someone like this, like I just want to know what the Athenian women, well, you know, I don't mean technical Athenian women, I mean women in Athens. You know, what were they thinking and talking to each other about when this was all going on? And I yeah, yeah, imagine.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I've mentioned him already.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite favorite authors from the ancient world is this fellow Alsafron, writing in kind of roughly the second century CE, kind of end of the second century. He's one of those authors writing in Greek about classical Athens under the Roman Empire. Right, he's recreating it, And he is to me the Wes Anderson of the ancient world. He because he recreates this world in such detail. But you know, you've seen a Wes Anderson movie. You're like, oh, yeah, there's the Grand Budapest Hotel.
Speaker 3: It's said in pre war Europe. How do I know that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: I can, oh, if I really look closely at the details, they've actually been kind of invented by Wes Anderson, so you're forced to kind of look at his artistry while you're enjoying this nostalgic image. So that's what Elsafron does. He writes fictional letters and he has four books of them, and the fourth book is called Letters of Hittairie. It is letters written by the Hittirie of Athens. So some of them are the famous ones, like Frinny to each other about sort of their daily lives and what's going on. So there's the letter from Frinny to Praxicaly's. There's a couple letters about the court case right of Frinny.
Speaker 3: But it is it's.
Speaker 4: Sort of the speculative way to think about, like what would these women have said to each other?
Speaker 3: What might they talked about? Right?
Speaker 4: What are they interested in? And so it's this attent, obviously by a male author, but to kind of harness these women's voices and to think about how are these women thinking about their own lives. And that's why I love it, because of course we're in this space where we have next to know words by women themselves, right, but these are like at least purporting to be the.
Speaker 2: Words of these women.
Speaker 4: So yeah, if I could find like a real letter written by Frenny to one of her pals, that's like a document I would give anything for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes me think I have not read enough of this to know kind of how it comes across. And it makes me think of Lucian because I recently have some more digging into him, and I know, yeah, and dialogues like that. Yeah, I've still made a True History, which is a piece of art. But yeah, now I'm interested in all the dialogues that he wrote to mostly because of how much I love the True History.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I mean Lucian that he writes so many different kinds of things and they're all and it's kind of similar to what Elseaphron is doing is stepping back into the world of classical Athens, stepping into kind of this this uh like created nostalgic space. And of course Lucian does it. He's a little bit more ry about it, a little bit more pointed than Alsafron is, but it's the same, it's the same kind of process, and they're part of the same kind of trend, literary trend that's happening. So please read more Lucian, because you're all gonna love it. There's like this is for everyone listening, please read more lution. You're never going to be sad about it. It's amazing. But the so the dialogues of the courtesans too, or that's what they're called, right, dialogues of the Hitirie, it's I love them too. It's the same reason I love Greek tragedy. It's because you have again, it's not the actual voices of women, but it's someone like representing the voice of a woman, right, and you're trying to like incorporate just as a good playwright or a good fictional letter writer, you're actually gonna have to tap into some kind of empathy for their position in society to write it in a compelling and effective way. So I yeah, I'm just in love with anything like that that purports to give the voice of a woman or give voice to a woman, even if it's written by a man.
Speaker 1: I mean, we have to take what we can get, right. I Mean it's why I love Euripides so much because to me, he's the one who actually wanted to know what women thought, and he was like, I'm going to actually examine them as real people, and like, you know, the other two players do they write great women, don't get me wrong, but like Euripides was clearly fascinated by them in a totally different way, at least in terms of what survives, Like yes, it's.
Speaker 4: Just well, I am here to tell you. Also what does not survive? Does the same thing or at least the yes, the fragments? Yeah, yeah, well, and that's I mean, that's the thing is with these women Again, I think it comes down to you have this really constricted society for women, and the ideal for women is very again constricted. They don't have a lot of options. A path is very clearly laid out for them, ideally, but there are women who are not always following that path because of just life, right, life is complicated and it never ideals. And then people depict her and again these are more modern depictions. But there's another painter, Boulonge, who has a painting of her kind of reclining on a bed, and she his model I think was Italian, But they're they're using like a lot of at that time, what are considered like Italian models, Jewish models who are considered to be exotic at that time, and so like so when you know he exhibits this at the Academy and people look at this painting. They're like, Oh, that's not what we think Frinny should look like, right, that's oh my goodness. One of them calls her fat and she is just distinctly not fat. Oh they always they love to do this, right. There's another painter, a Polish painter later who paints her and they say she looks like a man.
Speaker 3: One of the critics. It's like, so, the thing.
Speaker 4: About you know Frinny is that in the stories, in the ancient stories, she is she can be whatever you want her to be, whatever you think is beautiful, whatever you think is pit whatever you can project, because she's a fragment And then I think that's also what makes her compelling, is that because she is fragmentary, that you can do whatever you want. You can fill in the blanks however you want. That is the most pleasurable and satisfying to you. So she becomes. And I think that's something that's common with the way we tell stories about women, prominent women, even in twenty twenty three, right, that these sort of fragmentary narratives where we don't really allow ourselves to know them. Deeply and meaningfully gives us a certain kind of power over them, to mold them into whatever we want them to be.
Speaker 3: And if someone presents.
Speaker 4: To you a version of her, or of a woman like Frenny that isn't what you thought and what you expected and what you took pleasure from, then people tend to get really defensive and angry about it too, at least these art critics, you know, the different images of her. But yeah, so the thing about Freddy is like we don't know enough of these details to really know her, but that I think is another source of what has made her compelling over time.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. And it sounds like so much of the ancient world with just the fragmentary nature of it, all right, and like what, yeah, that's so much more interesting than if we knew everything, like just the big open questions.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and I really think yeah, with fragments, it allows us to think in different ways about things, to kind of we can hyper focus on some details because that's all that we have, right, or we can be more imaginative, and sometimes that speculation can be really generative. It can take us out of the assumptions that we've made about the ancient world as well. Yeah, I mean, obviously I love fragments. I wrote a whole dissertation about them. But it's to me those are some of the most compelling parts of the ancient world, and they're also when we look closely at them, they're often the ones that contradict the dominant narratives that we have about each worlds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, nerds, thank you all so much for listening. As always, I mentioned this, you know, in Tuesday's episode, but I really just wanted to provide you guys with a kind of refresh on this way of learning about these hitterai a little bit further without having to revisit the whole episodes. But if you want to listen to those whole episodes, there's probably a good hour more on each of them if you want to check those out, so you can find those wherever you're listening to this podcast or else. Just you know, enjoy the little extra bits of Hittera that you've gotten today. Thank you all. As always, Let's Talk About Baby is written and produced by me Live Albert Mikaylas Smith is the assistant producer. Laura Smith is the audio engineer and production assistant and was so lovely as to put together these clips today. Thank you to Laura. The podcast is part of the iHeart podcast Network. Listen on Spotify or Apple or wherever you get your podcasts. If you are looking for bonus content, you can subscribe to my Patreon, where you will not only support the free show that I drown over all week and do love, but also you will have access to a load of bonus episodes from the past many many years of putting together this Patreon. Find that at patreon dot com slash MIT's baby. Thank you all. You're just wonderful and lovely and real. People from the ancient world are just such an utter joy and I can't wait to bring you more of them. I am a live and I love this shit.