Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the eleven herbs and Spices in your original puzzle recipe. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and I am here with Chief Puzzle Officer Greg Pliska. Welcome Greg, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, Aj. I'm glad to be released from the Puzzle Lab once.
Speaker 1: Again, just temporarily, but yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: What's the product with the eleven herbs and spices? Is that?
Speaker 1: Like I thought it was KFC?
Speaker 2: Oh here, KFC. You're right, yeah, KFC the secret eleven herbs and spices very good.
Speaker 1: But I thought they had figured out at least like seven or eight of the secret herbs and spices.
Speaker 2: Now that we've mentioned KFC, do we get a sponsorship?
Speaker 1: Interesting? I always thought I like that it used to be Kentucky Fried Chicken, and that I feel they now they just.
Speaker 2: They've gone away from Kentucky Fried and Chicken.
Speaker 1: Right. I guess if you switch from Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC, you know, you could start serving donuts. You could start serving like my salads.
Speaker 2: In broiled beef instead from Tennessee Toxey. Broiled beef could be a thing exact. Well, this puzzle has nothing to do with any of that.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 2: You've read the entire Encyclopedia, yes, and forgotten it, and now you've taken a deep dive into the US Constitution.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: True, So I figure you're an expert on every fact related to the United States.
Speaker 1: Exactly, wrong, exactly, But I will do my best. I yes, I have forgotten about ninety nine point eight percent of the Encyclopedia, which was my first book and my my recent book, The Year of Living Constitutionally, I do still remember a lot of constitutional stuff. So if that's it, I might be a okay. But if it's not, then who knows?
Speaker 2: Well? For better or for worse? This puzzle is completely fictional, okay. I so instead of being about the United States, I'm calling it the Untied States.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I like it, okay, because I've made up fake facts about each state, and in each fact it ends, the fact ends with an anagram of the state name, and you have to come up with the state.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, all right, I'm already in my mind. I'm trying to get one step ahead of you. I think I have one.
Speaker 2: I have one, or you already have a state name anagram in your head.
Speaker 1: I do That's it.
Speaker 2: So do you want to give me the example or should I give you the example?
Speaker 1: Well, let me try this, Let me try this. This would be the fact that there is a special charge on all lassos and spurs. In other words, it's a some rodeo taxi.
Speaker 2: Yes, very good. And that would be the state of Texas.
Speaker 1: So I got one, you got one.
Speaker 2: Excellent. I like when you give the example for the puzzle I'm doing. And in fact, my example was also for the state of Texas. Still using this state has been under the flag of six different nations, each dedicated to chopping down trees using a very specific axe set.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. Yeah, that's hard.
Speaker 2: All right, So remember the fake fact will always end with the anagram of the state name. Gotcha, all right, here's your first one. This was the most debaunched of the early colonies and was considered a very.
Speaker 1: Lewd area, a lud area. Okay, uh that is? Oh, I got it, Okay, I got it. I got it. It is And I don't know if this is true. I'd be interested to see the statistics. But it was.
Speaker 2: Delaware, Yes, it was Delaware. No, these are all fake. In fact, Delaware has laws to prohibit the showing of our and X rated movies at drive in movie theaters even today, even today, so it's a very not back back in colonial days, they also did not show extra in movies at drive in theaters.
Speaker 1: Well it's nice because they didn't have them then, and they probably don't have drive in theaters now. So right, we're out of the danger zone.
Speaker 2: There was that brief window of drive in movies, right, all right, here's another one for you. Early Spanish settlers in this state learned the history of Seminole celebrations when they discovered the remnants of an old fairly.
Speaker 1: Fair, okay, that is, or remnants of an old fair. That's interesting, all right, Well, I was thinking, Arizona, that doesn't work. Let's say, let's say I am wait, say it again. Remnants of an old fair is the end?
Speaker 2: Remnants of an old fair is the nds.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I don't know, Oh I am blanking.
Speaker 2: Mention of the seminoles is of course Native American people who lived in this in this territory. They they continue to live there today. In fact.
Speaker 1: Interesting, all right, Well give me the first letter that'll help that.
Speaker 2: In fact, we'll give it away.
Speaker 1: It starts with an F Uh so, my mind is so foggy, I can't remember. I do know, I do know that there was a state called Franklin for a while. But it's not Franklin. It is.
Speaker 2: It's got the letters of old Fair in it. It starts with.
Speaker 1: An F and Florida. I was taking west for some reason. Oh my god. All right, Florida, Florida.
Speaker 2: All right, here's another one during the gold.
Speaker 1: But I give myself. No, I'm just saying I should get extra credit for the Franklin thing, even though I totally.
Speaker 2: Absolutely see that's the remnants. That's the last point two percent of your reading of the encyclopedia is knowing there was a state called Franklin, Okay good during the gold Rush. This state became known for a different mining industry, and the fumes from it filled the land with a noxious coal odor. Coal odor. It's impossible to say coal filled noxious coal odor.
Speaker 1: All Right, this one I think I do have. I think because this one you can do, because you know you're only anagrammy couple letters. Colorado Colorado exactly goes to Colorado, Okay currently.
Speaker 2: Is eleventh in the US and coal production with eight active mines.
Speaker 1: Well, good for this I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully not too much coal odor. All right, there's another one. Spanish conquistadors discovered this state by sailing in the wrong direction in search of African oil.
Speaker 1: African Okay, I think I got it. Uh No, I don't. I thought I had it. I thought it was Louisiana. But that's not it.
Speaker 2: That's not going to be an anagram of African oil.
Speaker 1: And I thought as well, I thought it was Florida because when I heard the conquistadors it was uh so it is not that. Hold on, I am still suffering from my cold medicine mind, so I need.
Speaker 2: Well, this is a This is a western state that a lot of Spanish settlers came through, both conquistadors and missionaries.
Speaker 1: Wait, California.
Speaker 2: California is in fact an anagram of African oil.
Speaker 1: Oh well, this is interesting. I do not This actually is not interesting. But it's interesting to me that I wrote oil and my writing was so messy. The L looked like a D, so I was like, what state has a D in it? No state with these letters. So there you go.
Speaker 2: You had african oid.
Speaker 1: African oid. That didn't work.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's do two more of these.
Speaker 1: All right, I can make this.
Speaker 2: This colony developed its own version of the aesop fable when it held a popular rabbit and turtle race in the seventeenth century, with a prize of a pound of marijuana to the winner. The news headline the next day was hair Wind's hemp.
Speaker 1: Hair Wind's hemp. I love it, all right, this one I feel I got. I don't know how I got it, but it's New Hampshire exactly.
Speaker 2: But you just anagrammed hair winds hemp and hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah it works and does How did you look into New Hampshire and their and their hemp rules and their podet I didn't. I did.
Speaker 2: It's look it's live free or die state. I'm sure everyone's getting stoned up there all the time.
Speaker 1: That's what I felt. All right, good? What else?
Speaker 2: You your last one? This midwestern state began as a nature preserve, with special attention given to amphibians to care for the little creatures. Naturalists would build tiny oak toad huts.
Speaker 1: Oak toad huts, okay ok toad huts. Well, it's interesting because I feel oak toad huts is a Dakota, But so there's a South or a North Dakota.
Speaker 2: Yes, which one has an essen? It?
Speaker 1: That one? I think I can answer. Give me a second, South Dakota, South Dakota.
Speaker 2: South Dakota exactly all right, because today there are there are actually five different kinds of toads in South Dakota, none of which live in huts.
Speaker 1: That we know of. Well, look at that, say, we learned something real, real facts as well. And by the way, Associate puzzler Andrea, am I right that Franklin was briefly a state? Or was it just an idea for a state that never got off the ground. We'll find that out. And while she's doing that, do you have one for the uh puzzlers at home? Perhaps?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm gonna turn this around for the folks at home, since they've got plenty of time, and assuming they've arrived home and have their pencil and paper out, they can work this the other way. So I'm going to give the name of the state in the clue and they have to figure out what the anagram toward anagram is. All right here it is. During the colonial era, Massachusetts had a grape growing industry they wanted to keep secret from the British. This meant that along the coast there were many hidden blank blank.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So you take the letters of Massachusetts and anagram to finish that sentence that along the coast there were many hidden blank blank.
Speaker 1: Got it? Okay? So letters are Massachusetts, rearrange them to fill in the blanks. One last note is that the fourteenth state was supposed to be Franklin in East Tennessee, but it was never recognized, so it was an unrecognized proposed state. I recognize, so I feel it's I mean, he is my favorite of the founding fathers, so that he didn't get his own state to me, is he gone out right?
Speaker 2: James seem right.
Speaker 1: Puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast and tell your friends rate us perhaps five stars, and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 2: Hello puzzlers. Greg Pliska here up from the Puzzle Lab with the extra credit answer from our previous show, we played Masterpieces with James Altacher, in which each answer is a word or phrase that has the name of a chess piece inside of it. The extra credit that aj gave you was this, what do you call a particularly impish chess piece, one that moves only diagonally. The answer, of course, is Archbishop. For that and more archword play, join us here day on the Puzzler podcast. Thanks for playing along with the team here at The Puzzler with Aj Jacobs. I'm Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle Officer. Our executive producers are Neelie Lohman and Adam Neuhouse of New House Ideas and Lindsay Hoffman of iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Jody Averragan and Brittany Brown of Roulette Productions, with production support from Claire Biddegar Curtis. Our associate producer is Andrea Schoenberg. The Puzzler with Aj Jacobs is a co production with New House Ideas and is distributed by Starched patois also known as iHeart Podcasts. If you want to know more about puzzling puzzles, please check out the book The Puzzler by AJ Jacobs, a history of puzzles that The New York Times called fun and funny. It features an original puzzle hunt by Yours Truly, and is available wherever you get your books and puzzlers for all your puzzling needs, go visit the puzzler dot com. See you there,