Speaker 1: Wake that ans up in the morning. Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody's the vej n V Jess Hilarius Charlamage, the God.
Speaker 3: We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: We got some special guests in the building. People are nervous about these three individuals and then they gonna ruin their lives with this new documentary.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, we have Jay Allen, Nicki Bows and Uncle Luke.
Speaker 2: The documentary Freaknick The Wildest Party Never Told, streaming now on Hulu.
Speaker 3: Welcome, that's good.
Speaker 2: Good. Now we've all seen the doc and a lot of people who haven't were very nervous. They thought they were gonna see older videos.
Speaker 3: Of Uncle Luke throwing money on him.
Speaker 4: They thought they were gonna send videos.
Speaker 2: Of themselves at Freaknick's, you know, torking on cars. They didn't call it torking back then. It was booty shaking on cars. They weren't gonna see that. But the doc is not really like that. It kind of explains the story of the origin, how it started, how it helped so many people, how it helped the land of music and all that. So break down the documentary and why you guys wanted to put this together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were a few years behind. You know what.
Speaker 5: The essence of freaking it was to be able to attend. So when Nick and I created the original concept, you know, we knew we were missing the stories. And that's when we went and found Uncle Luke and found Jermaine so that we could tell the story the right way. And essentially, as we were putting it together, everybody had a freaking story. So what you see is a hybrid of everybody from the DC Metro Club to you know, the people that were at the end telling the story.
Speaker 3: About now what y'all know about Freedman, because y'all weren't that.
Speaker 2: Y'all weren't there, so y'all want to hear stories from uncles, aunties.
Speaker 6: What anybody coming back like, you would wait for them to get back so you can see what happened. They coming back with the shirts with the big Looney Tune characters and the Bart Simpsons and all of that and the music, all of that coming back and you're like, oh, I can't wait to go, only for it to end before you can get there.
Speaker 4: This is interesting though, that I think about it.
Speaker 7: O Ja and Nicky y'all wanted to do the doc but the OG's like the Lukes who not just where they have provided the soundtrack for it. Did y'all not want to tell the story Luke just because you're like, you know what, some thing's been left one said, you know what I mean, some takes the best left off the record.
Speaker 8: Nah, Nah, I mean for me, you know, it's it's always telling the stories, you know, because my story has never been told, you know. And I looked at my whole career, you know, my stories you know, have not been documented, you know, for whatever reason, and uh, you know, when I jumped on this, it was it was about, you know, my whole life story, you know. I was, I did a deal with a film company, and I looked at the actual script that was written for my biopic and then I was like, half of my stories ain't being told. So, you know, I didn't enter into a deal with Swirl Films to be able to do these different parts of my life stories.
Speaker 1: So when Jay and Nicky mentioned Freak nick.
Speaker 8: And I was like, that's another part of my life story that wouldn't have been in a long stripted film, you know, and so be amongst that story and other stories, you know, So you know, that that I'm doing for the next couple of years, you know, document those stories and put them out.
Speaker 1: You know, this is just one part of it.
Speaker 7: You that would do a proper anything about Uncle Luke in this era, everybody's so sensitive.
Speaker 4: People want to cancer folks. Could you ever do that properly? Because you would have to you.
Speaker 1: Can only do it one way. Yeah, you could only do it one way.
Speaker 8: And that's why, like, like I have a I'm doing a biopick with Will Packer, and we negotiating with a couple of different companies. And the unique way of how we put that together, you know, kind of took the sensitivity out of it, because, yeah, you live in a different era, you know. And even with this right here, you know, Freaknick is a large part of my story, you know, and you know I put the freak.
Speaker 1: In Freaknick, and so you know, you had to do it in a unique way.
Speaker 8: Because if you did it, if if we did this story a certain type of way in this life that we live in right now, we're probably be in jail.
Speaker 2: The Uncle Luke ruined Freaknick and changed the HBCU proper picnic of what they were trying to do.
Speaker 3: They were trying to be the dc uh.
Speaker 2: People that couldn't afford to go home were trying to create this brilliant and nice space. And you know, the Greeks were stepping and there was barbecue and there was food.
Speaker 4: And then came let me say.
Speaker 8: You you know.
Speaker 4: You're talking about I would say he enhanced it.
Speaker 3: You would think Atlanta wasn't ready for that, obviously.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not gonna say it wasn't ready.
Speaker 6: It just didn't know it was ready because that him coming there wild'n out and all of that made other people come there and made other acts come there. And then that's where the music came from, and the South got something to say and all of that.
Speaker 4: And I mean, Uncle Luke, and.
Speaker 3: Look what made you want to go to Freknick?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: Was it the buzzing at the time because it was small at first, and then you took it to another level.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, you having a party in Atlanta and it's called Freaknick. I got to be the ambassat, so I mean, so, I mean, basically, you know, this was at the time when I went it was the height of my career, our career, or the controversy going to jail doing all these different things, you know, and then I hear about this little party going on in Atlanta called Freaknik. So then when I heard it, I thought it was a freak party, you know, real talking about I need to be there.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm the king of freakingness. I gotta go show my face in this joint, you feel me.
Speaker 8: And then at the end of the day, you know, we went there and did that, plus some shot videos and all these different things, and come to find out later on down the line, it was like no, no, no, it wasn't No, it wasn't that type of party. It was some people out there with little tps and then little you know, candos and all.
Speaker 1: That they would trying to have a little Greek thing. And before you know it, you know, I put the freaking in the picnic.
Speaker 7: So what was the difference between freak Nick in the classic in Florida the closet was was wild too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I mean you you had different you had different degrees of it all lot and I lived through through through the mall.
Speaker 1: You had Murder Beach, Yes, yeah, same situation.
Speaker 8: You had Murder Beach, then you had Daytona Beach, and you know then you from Daytona Beach, you had Carabana and uh in Canada, so you had different, uh versions of these different parties.
Speaker 1: You know that was generated through young people. Then you had Galvestone, uh, the beach week the bike what it was.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 1: It was some sort of beach weekend out there that we would go frequent.
Speaker 3: Philly Green Yeah.
Speaker 8: Philly Yeah, Yeah, I remember you know, doing that, doing that party, watching people run by my hotel naked. So you had all those type of parties and and uh you know, and Freak Nick was just one that you had.
Speaker 2: To go to during that time. Did you ever get the money you were supposed to get? Because I'm thinking about it now. When Uncle Luke pulled up, it wasn't like a regular rapper where he could just perform with a DJ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you had a lot of people to pay.
Speaker 2: Did you actually get what you was because you you had mc hammer type staff, like you had mad people.
Speaker 8: No, no, not as type staff. I haven't had a whole seven twenty seven. I heard him going to Japan and I'm like, man, you got all these people in here, war drove and all that stuff, like how you pay him?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, my my crew was a big old I mean it was most of the girls.
Speaker 8: It was girls and DJ's and you know, we ain't had too many securities. It was it was new artists like Pitt Bull would be on the bus, you know, Trick Daddy would be on the bus. You know, guys that I was breaking along the way, you know, using my popularity to spend them off to hopefully had him become a hit artist.
Speaker 7: Could you tell me what was the Miami influence on Atlanta sound because Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Was known for his base too. But there's always, you know, a debate about who came first.
Speaker 8: We came first, no question. I started hip hop in the South, yes, no question. I mean it was no hip hop and it was no hip hop nowhere in the South when I basically started. We was touring those areas. We went to Atlanta, they were playing, uh they had New York DJs on the radio, so they didn't even they didn't even play any music. I mean I signed artists out of Atlanta called mc shot d. You know, I would go to Sharon showcase they had, you know, they had some rappers up in Atlanta, you know, Kizzy Rock, They had a few dudes doing some underground stuff. But they really wasn't you know, nobody you know, picked them up, nobody was, nobody signed them. And so I would go there all the time, you know, and pretty much do shows at Sharon Showcase, a hot spot that a little underground spot, you know. And uh and you know, once we went in there, we signed him. He was one of the top rappers in town. And then you know, Kid blew up and then we just kept on moving around. Like even even in New Orleans, we signed a guy named bust Down.
Speaker 1: You know, it was a big hit. You know.
Speaker 8: I always you know, I had these conversations with every time I see bird Man, he tell me the story that he tried to get bust Down and then link him up with me and then get him a deal. I say, well, it all worked out right for you, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But no, it was it was it was no hip hop period, you know.
Speaker 8: And even when we did shows with with New York artists like Rock Him and all of them, they gave us five minutes on stage. Then we would eventually end up in a fight. Uh, run to him see another five minutes and almost end up in a fight with their management and all that, because we you know, we were the only things. So it was like really breaking ground in an area that that it was unheard of.
Speaker 4: That makes so much sense.
Speaker 7: I didn't know that because everybody always credits ideas being a pioneer for Atlanta Base, but you signed, Yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he and he eventually became a pioneer because he was the first one to break out.
Speaker 2: Were you mad at JD back then when he kind of you were doing what you were doing and then he.
Speaker 3: Did the Base All Stars, which was very similar to what you were doing. Were you mad at him back then at all?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, because you know, I know this story.
Speaker 8: I knew the story of Lil John, you know, working at Social Depth and Little John wanted to do bass, you know, and where Lil John got, you know, when he got his opportunity, you know, to show JD that he was you know, he was a producer. You know, he did this vergeon a base, which is we called it R and B based, you know, with the mabu and all that. Yeah, he put a little twist to it instead.
Speaker 1: Of trying to do it the same way we were doing it. So you know, I loved it. I respect it. I mean my thing is the more to marry you for everybody.
Speaker 8: If you diversify anything, then the stand power becomes longer.
Speaker 3: Now, how did y'all get all the footage?
Speaker 2: Because that was when you had big ass cam quarters on you. There was no cell phone footage.
Speaker 3: How did y'all get all that footage?
Speaker 6: Were some people that we interviewed actually had their own footage? And then so when we saw that it wasn't enough, on put up a post and was like, give us all of your footage before So it started coming in and it was it was footage from there. It was footage from I literally went the people's houses who had active DVD I mean, what do you call them? Yes, active VCRs and yeah, went to their house and got that, met people in the in the parking lots.
Speaker 4: However we could get the footage I was getting it.
Speaker 3: Was there any celebrities wilding out back then?
Speaker 2: Because everybody was wilding out back then, and like, let's take that one out because did you have to take anything out? Like we're not gonna put that up, not any celebrities, but you got to take something out?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we definitely took footage job.
Speaker 5: Why well, because again I think when people saw this the announcement, they thought this was some salacious documentary that was being made. But just like Woodstock documentary was made and those stores were ale to be told, just like we go see you know what happens that Marty grawl, Like, black stories deserve the space to be told in a way where it's not a gotcha thing.
Speaker 4: Black people gotta stop trying to get motherfuckers. We be the main ones on social media ready to get each other.
Speaker 5: But even when we put out there announcement, people like, I hope they don't show this picture of me, and like you know what I'm saying, like people people presented it in that way, and we feel like Freak Nick, which is why we have these legends JD.
Speaker 1: Louke.
Speaker 5: We feel like Freak Nick is a story in Black history that deserves to be told because it wasn't just you know, twrking on Peachtree, you know outcast. These these major groups were formed during this time, like these major executives like Shanti Das you know and KP like all these people came out of this ecosystem and so we wanted to make sure we told the full story of Freaknick, not just you can't you can't feel ninety minutes of just torking on p Stree.
Speaker 7: And the funniest part about this is Uncle looked to be having a little smile on his face the whole time, like he just reminiscing about it.
Speaker 1: Right here, I do have all we're getting head in the back of the US waiting.
Speaker 3: Career.
Speaker 1: It was it was very important.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, going to Atlanta in the nineties, in the early nineties when I heard about the actuals, you know, heard about the party, and then going there, we did videos there, we marketed.
Speaker 1: New artists there.
Speaker 8: Uh. But at the same time, you know, I was right there when it kind of went bad, you know, and then trying to work with you know, city officials and try to straighten it out and clean it up, working with different promoters and all that. So I was like really in the thick of things, uh, when it when it when it kind of went bad, and then.
Speaker 1: Tried to actually save it.
Speaker 8: But then, you know, like you see in the doc, you couldn't save something that when the Olympics was coming in, you know, that was too big for everything.
Speaker 1: But but uh, it was. It was really important, you know, especially you know the couple. I remember one video I did.
Speaker 8: I think it was Bounce of the Beat and we rented the whole Nico Hotel and had helicopters flying and had girls over the balcony and all that, and you know that became a big, big song for me.
Speaker 4: Did you ever try to move it?
Speaker 7: Like when they when they was talking about canceling, he was like, man, let's bring it to Miami.
Speaker 8: Well it was all similar, I mean, because we remember we started, uh can Coon, We started doing the parties on Tomorrow Day weekend and can Coon and all the celebrities would come down there.
Speaker 1: And then we moved to South Beach and then same situation right now that you got going on that happened with Freaknick.
Speaker 8: Thought about it, but it was it was It was hard, I mean because you know Atlanta and just like Jays, it became a monster because everybody started using it as a promotional to you know, it wasn't just Atlanta going to Freaknik.
Speaker 1: Now, it was the world coming to Freak Nick.
Speaker 8: It was everybody from Detroit and every black college on that spring break weekend. What a grid lock happened because the city just couldn't hold that many people coming to uh Atlanta like that.
Speaker 2: They tried to do it a couple of years ago, right, it didn't work out. Could ever happened again?
Speaker 4: That's that's tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think free Nick could happen. And everybody has a different opinion. I don't think free Nick could happen the way it did back then. I just think that's impossible. No major metropolitan the city is gonna let you shut him down like that. But one of our other EPs on the project was twenty one Savage And what I love that Savage did. He threw the party with Han, who is a monster out here. But what he did was a free Nick theme party. And when you went to that party, which he graciously allowed us to attend, it felt like freed Nick. He had Uncle Luke on stage. Drake was there, you know what I'm saying, Like it felt like in the nineties. He had a car club with the nineties cars.
Speaker 1: I mean it was.
Speaker 6: He had like the artists that were back then doing it on stage.
Speaker 1: One. Yeah, I think you, I really think it can.
Speaker 8: It can come back, and it can come back in a positive way, because when you really look at the story, you see how it started with you know, some some HBCU grads and they created something because they couldn't afford it. And still to this day, kids can't afford to go to go to dusting and I go to Panama City out South Beach, you know, And I just think in an organized way, because everything is programmed. You know, if you program something, it don't get chaotic. If freak Nick was programmed, it wouldn't have got chaotic. It would have been similar to the Essence Festival right now. We all would be, you know, talking about how it started, how great it is, you know.
Speaker 1: But again, it just it.
Speaker 8: Takes a programming an organization to do something like that. And I think you could kind of bring it back and be able to give a large portion of the money to HBCUs and things like that, do it in a positive way. I'm a firm believer of taking something that was so negative and then creating a positive out of it.
Speaker 1: If you could do that, you know, it'll be a good thing.
Speaker 8: I don't want woke Nick thought you want the girls sitting on your face.
Speaker 4: No, I'm married, But I want some young young man experience that I.
Speaker 1: Want just send them out on the weekend with you.
Speaker 4: But I do like what you said cause I never thought about it. Freak Nick didn't have no programming. It was just everybody was just out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's what they do.
Speaker 8: That's what they do when when they want to shut something down for young African American kids, no different than what's going on on Miami Beach right now, you know, Uh, they'll take it and and and when they want to gentrified neighborhood.
Speaker 1: They let crime, crime, crime, throw it on TV.
Speaker 8: Crime is bad, it's all this, you know, and let it just go real bad so the general public can be behind what they getting ready to really do, which is shut something down, are going.
Speaker 1: To take over a neighborhood.
Speaker 4: That's how you feel about South Beach canceling.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this South Beach got one of the most racist governments ever the mankind. And it's they have a blueprint for whatever council come in and whatever mayor comes in a spring breaking Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 1: You know, I always tell people just don't go there, don't go spend your money there.
Speaker 2: It always bothered me because when you see the white schools and the white people do their spring break, right, they got crime, they drinking and.
Speaker 3: Driving, their public intoxfication, it's fighting and all that.
Speaker 2: They kind of get swept under rug they don't have a problem, but when it's us, they shut it down like and they go hard.
Speaker 3: Like like you said, spring break in Miami where they say two hundred and thirty people got arrested. Those are college kids.
Speaker 2: How they gonna fee to get it exactly, so we're being drunk like that was what spring break was around.
Speaker 3: You walk around with your red cup.
Speaker 1: And have a good time. And what people don't realize is you have a white spring break.
Speaker 8: Well white colleges go all at the same time, and then later in the springtime, you have all the black colleges that have spring break at the same time. So they know, you know, they know the schedules of these different colleges, and like right now it's black college spring break around the world because all of the black college kind of.
Speaker 1: Do that, do that spring break the same time, and so that's why you have it like that. The same thing as Carolina Brother and deal with the myrtle beats.
Speaker 4: The same thing happened black Bike weekend. It's not white bike WEGND but it was like two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: It's like it was kind of like white Bike, but they just.
Speaker 5: Call this bike week exactly one. It's called Black Bike Week. It's you know, completely different and shut down.
Speaker 7: So did you hear earthquake when he was up here Luke and he said that he dropped a nuclear missile.
Speaker 1: You can't miss y'all show when he told me.
Speaker 8: When I when I heard that story right here on your show, it's like, I'm like, oh lord, this man, this man find to blame me.
Speaker 1: My dog too quick. I mean, hey, but that was that was funny.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Do you still feel like hip hop forgot about Florida when fifty celebrations?
Speaker 1: No, no question about it.
Speaker 8: I mean we it was we had the going you know, me and Trick that he had to actually go on social media and say, hey.
Speaker 1: You forgot about it? That's what the fuck is going on. We're part of this, We're major part of this.
Speaker 8: And then people start calling up and like, oh, we're sorry, Oh we want to have invite you, we want you to be a part of this.
Speaker 1: And everything like that. So I mean that that's that's been happening in my entire career.
Speaker 8: And that's that's why I'm you know, before I was mad, but like right now, being able to tell all these stories in different forms, The Freak Nick Coach, Luke Uh, this other show that we're partnering up with Lebron.
Speaker 4: That we get ready to do on you know, scripted series that could be the book of Luke.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's gonna be properly the Dark Side of Luke. Okay, yeah, and so and and give you a real story of Miami.
Speaker 8: And you know, between that and the in the in the movie that we're doing with Will Packer, and then the other uh, the other show with me coaching that we're doing with Smack and straight Hand and all them. So you will see all these different pieces of being able to tell these different stories, which I'm happy right now. So I pretty much created a damn film company out of the whole thing because they didn't tell the story.
Speaker 1: And then I'll get to tell my own story.
Speaker 7: But you hip hop pioneer, Uncle, Look, that's what pisses me off when people have these conversations about hip hop pioneers and hip hop moguls. You wanted the original ones. We don't get down South hip hop without Uncle.
Speaker 3: You don't think they realized what he sacrificed.
Speaker 1: Again went through.
Speaker 4: I don't think you fought the government for hip hop.
Speaker 8: And we got locked up, got locked up like he fought for him on many wasn't fight by himself like I was literally fighting. Yeah, I mean and and just like you say, man, nobody came to my defense. There wasn't no nobody in the industry. Matter of fact, people in the industry was talking ship about me. I mean it would going Donnie Simpson show other rappers and be like, oh, that's not hip hop. You know, got to the point where when we did shows with hip hop artists that they would say, oh, put them on last, and then they would all would leave because you know how you do a show, everybody on the side seeing who rocked the stage and shit. So we we we had to go through a lot, you know people, But then people start understanding. And that's why, you know, I was happy that we put Savager part of this because when he looked at you know, you know, this young kid is trying to understand, you know, just what went on, you know, this part of history, you know, and people like aside Rocket, when I'd sit down conversation with him. You know, man, I would just embrace the history. So you got some artists that go deep into it and then they just want the vibe and like know where this shit came from. But then you got a lot of people that really try to brush it up under the rug. But you know, this doctor, this doctor be the beginning of something big. I think because this is the only this is the only description of the South. You know, on this level, you don't have nothing that ever been done on the South. And I think a large part of it didn't want to tell the story because then a lot of people had to give me too much credit, you feel me, and so you know, when you do that, then it'll be like, Okay, who the fuck was the part of this?
Speaker 1: And not telling these stories.
Speaker 7: I think because so much of the media was in New York back then, so that's who they documented as opposed to the Lukes that you made the prize?
Speaker 4: Did J Prince's the masterpiece?
Speaker 7: Like it wasn't until maybe early two thousands when you started seeing like the South really get his profits and honestly, probably because.
Speaker 1: Of cash money, yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And denial the numbers was too crazy.
Speaker 1: They numbers was crazy.
Speaker 8: I mean and just like you say they were, you know, when you see, I was never affiliated with a major label.
Speaker 1: Only one time I was affiliated with.
Speaker 8: Atlantic Records, and that kind of went bad because Sylvia Ron never embraced me, you know, and what we were doing as far as the label, and then we kind of jumped off of that real quick. But at the same time, so everybody got that big machine behind them, you know, I never had a big machine in which I was happy, you know at the time, because I got all the money, you feel me, I you know, shit, I we pressed the records and manufactured them and sent them out and we pretty much got all the money off of the records, and everybody.
Speaker 1: Kind of live good.
Speaker 8: But at the end of the day, you know, that's why it leads all the way up up to down that I can really tell them stories, you know, because a lot of people don't know a lot of people don't know my I had the first download record ever in the history when you look up the history books, which banned in the USA, and when I came up with the idea of letting every radio station play it on the fourth of July at the same time, and then you know, that's when I was with Atlantic and they downloaded the ship.
Speaker 1: I was like, how you mean download? You know? And I never even knew that existed.
Speaker 8: So it's a lot of different things you know that people don't know that, you know, through these projects that that I'm doing, that they'll get.
Speaker 4: The story to go to they gotta go more quicks.
Speaker 7: Why do you think they tried to ban what you was doing when literally all you was doing was making people dance, making people have sex. But you have all these artists who are killing people on records, selling drugs on records.
Speaker 4: I don't see nobody trying to band them. Why did they try to ban you?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean the thing is I was I was the first, you know what I'm saying. It was the first to cuss on the records, you know. But it was really it was really fun because we say, I looked at what everybody was doing everywhere else, what they was doing in Cali, what they was doing in New York, and you know, I was like, Okay, we ain't gonna sample James Brown.
Speaker 1: We can't be like somebody else. We gotta be like where we're from.
Speaker 8: A lot of people don't understand Miami is half naked people walking around everywhere, you know, strip clubs, naked. So so when when they came after us, it was because, you know, for a couple of reasons. Won the album covers. You know, they you know, they were exotic. Then the back of the album cover the titles were, you know, face down the ass up. Hey, he wants to puts me in all that. I do that because I had no money, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And uh, and I had no budget, you know.
Speaker 8: And so at the end of the day, when you looked at the music and when you when you listen to it, uh, then it started crossing over into white households and that became Then I became a target.
Speaker 1: Same time you had the music industry same way.
Speaker 8: You know, the music industry was against what I was doing because I was taking sales away from everybody else, you know, and then when you take sales away, then it's like, Okay, we gotta shut this motherfucker down. So then they send Tip of Gore our Gore's wife after me, you know, uh, and put me on this list. You know, they they tell George Lucas because at the time my name was Luke Skywalker Records.
Speaker 1: You gotta suit this motherfucker.
Speaker 8: So they were pulling me from all different angles, you know, how to pay him a big ass settlement Lucas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a big ass lawsuit with this motherfucker.
Speaker 8: That's why I don't look at No Star Wars right now the UK records did he sued me in and uh I had.
Speaker 1: To pay got them?
Speaker 3: Uh then you can tell us now right or now?
Speaker 1: It was a half a million dollars, you know.
Speaker 8: Uh back then, you know, and I kind of you know when I saw Kenny Skywalker, okay Looke Skywalker, you know, and this you ain't sue this motherus. So I had a whole bunch of shit that I was going through at the time. And again, you know, a lot of people think that it was one case. It was actually three cases. It was one the Royal Orpiser case. Uh, that went to the spring court.
Speaker 1: I won that. If I don't win that, you don't you know, there's the more satire, there's the more Saturday Night Live and none of that ship. You can't you know, make a joke about somebody.
Speaker 4: Then they had the uh oh so satire that was a satire case. That was a satire that didn't just change music that changed TV and the.
Speaker 8: Internet, because right now they used my case for any Internet claim, whether it's you know, uh, you know, uh, intellectual property, it became an intellectual property, uh satire case.
Speaker 1: And so when you had that ship going on, you know, now you know, I'm fighting this.
Speaker 8: I got to go get this this ruling overturn that the record is deemed I've seen by.
Speaker 1: This federal judge.
Speaker 8: And then I then say fuck him when we go down the street and perform, and then go to jail for it. So I got three cases going on at one time, plus you know, plus all the other shit happening around me trying to run a record company and all that. And that's why that's why, you know, I got really really really deep into the into the politics of it though, you know, and uh and seeing where.
Speaker 1: It was coming from.
Speaker 3: How much did you spend a lawyer fees back then?
Speaker 1: Oh shit, millions of dollars. But then the crazy part, I ain't had to do it. I wasn't going to jail, you know.
Speaker 8: I knew the big picture, and the big picture it was really they was coming out to hip hop, you know, and they was coming out to me. Yeah, I was a part of the game because I was low hanging fruit. I'm not affiliated with a major label, because I'm sitting there like, motherfucker Andrew Dice Clay saying work shit than me on the record, but he's on this label here. So you start putting two and two together and all that, and before you know it, you know, you see how that ship is played out.
Speaker 2: Crazy because you said what you did is really to fight for hip hop for the next artist, but the artists didn't support you at all. All hip hop artists basically said fuck you. But you still knew the bigger picture.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I looked at it from a bigger picture standpoint because I know, all right, these motherfuckers stupid right now, you know, the industry is.
Speaker 1: Not supporting me. You know. I remember going to the Grammys and they was like.
Speaker 8: We want you to go to the Grammys and everything, and we're gonna celebrate your fight for free speech and all this shit.
Speaker 1: And I go there, I sit down on the third row and they man start having this big.
Speaker 8: Speech by you know, artists being attacked and we're fighting, you know, we're supporting all this and everything, you know, our artists for free expression and everything. And right now, we want to honor a person who's out there on the road doing it every night.
Speaker 1: Madonna. I ain't never went back to fucking Grammys.
Speaker 8: This was the last time when you know, celebration of the fifty I went back there. They said that ship. I was like, I don't walked up.
Speaker 1: In there with my ship on. They taking the pictures and all that. No, that that it was crazy, man.
Speaker 8: But but again that that's why I got so deep into fucking politics, man, because I know everything is political.
Speaker 7: I'd love to see that genre of bass music come back. There's a couple of artists that's that's doing it a little bit. And I saw that you was in the studio with Karsha.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, she's bringing it back. She's bringing it back. I mean, it's soon that that we did together. I mean, you know, because I don't go in the studio for no fucking body. I mean people call me all the time, you know, go and sample the ship, you know, so you know, only two people could get me in there, Missy. I went in there with her, uh before COVID and then with Kresha, you know, and uh, you know, I heard the track and I was like, Okay, I could fuck with that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And we went in there and not that out, real, real easy.
Speaker 8: I think it's gonna be a big summer club banger and everything. I'm looking forward to people listening to it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, make sure you check out freak Nick the Wirelace Party.
Speaker 7: Never told now they should build a statue of Uncle Luke in every major hip hop city.
Speaker 4: I'm not you of joking New York, l A.
Speaker 1: Do I get to have a Jenitalor's hanging?
Speaker 3: No, you know what, Nikki Bob, Uncle Luke. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, wake till ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club.