Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you're making a decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host with Sean McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe the size of your fature, it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own. Keep winning. You heard it, Stop reading other people's success stories and start living your own. What does that mean? That means that a lot of people out there are dreaming without a plan. That means a lot of people out there are trying to establish hope without a plan. They're going out there on faith without a plan or budget. I've done that. Believe me. I'm not pointing a finger at you, because you know I say, when you're point a finger, the thumb points back at you. So when I talk to you about this show, and I talk about the advantages. Listen to a guy who's made mistakes. Listen to the guy who some people have said he's successful. I don't judge by success. By saying I'm successful, I let you be the judge. And by doing that then I can come across as an honest person who's only an example. You can follow my leads or you can listen to my advice. Either way, it's been written etcheton Stone. Like I said, I'm not asking you to follow me on social media. I'm just asking you to hear what I got to say, and I want you to hear what I got to say. When I bring guests on that I feel have value, can create a goal in your life that can make your life a lot simpler or relatable. My guest is an accomplished interior designer. This first time I have an interior designer on my show, and I'm one of these people, and I share you some of my interior designer story. I think I'm pretty good, but you know, I have a weird way of doing it. Is if with expertise is spanning into kitchens, bathrooms, renovations, art, art, consentation, and writing, Please welcome the money making conversation. Master class the One and Only Melody Vonne. How you doing, Melodie.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a great intro. I appreciate that. I am wonderful. And by the way, as an interior designer, I can often tell persons decor by their wardrobe. And you're quite spiffy, sir, Well, thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm one of these people. When I cook in the kitchen, I clean as I go. So so if you if you can take that away from my look, I'm a guy who will undergo my car is clean. Know they're throwing trash in the back seat or the astray got no clean as I go. And I think that when I when I when my whole thing that I'm a visual person and I'm listening, I'm talking to an expert in that tearing design. So now I can talk about what I see, love it. And so when I go into a room, I just I just start visualizing yep, that space. Talk about how you go about doing it?
Speaker 2: Wow, Well, I tell you to me. Homes are living beings. Homes have heartbeats, they have rhythm. And when I go into a space, I see the potential in it. I look at from a I incorporate functue. So I always look for Functual is an Asian form of incorporating design. It's called a bogwad. Every corner has a purpose, your prosperity corner, your family corner, et cetera, and so forth. But I incorporate a little bit of all of those spiritualities and consciousness into design. But I go from a practical standpoint being who lives here, how's this space going to be functioned? What color? Exuberant? Certain energies like blue is calming and green is prosperity, and so all of those kind of tie into Hey, I'm not mad at a red room. That's energy, exciting, passion, love, Hey listen what room.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't walk in a black room?
Speaker 2: Or you know what, it's more so the purpose in what you're entering the room. Okay, so if you're going into a bedroom and you want to relax, then you want to be aware of certain colors that are more energetic, like a bright yellow or bright orange. So what your purpose? That's not relax that's not a relaxing that's the energy that's energetic. Yeah, I know. Color is power and spiriture placement, how rhythms flow, and how the air flows throughout a room.
Speaker 3: All of that.
Speaker 2: Really, that's what design is all about, color theory, space planning, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So how did the academic wise? What did you do in college? Is that what you did in college?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: So I attempted my school journey HBCU, FAM shout out.
Speaker 3: I was one of the.
Speaker 2: Orange and green, Orange and green, which are very strong colors prosperity and happiness. But yeah, I attended FAM and hung out there, one of those I'm a ratler heart, never quite graduating, but listen, I'm a rattler baby, and my purpose was public relations and journalism. But I got caught up into the work world and moved to Atlanta and was a manager for the Gap, which I's didn't really mentioned, and got into the art world, did some volunteering at the Apex, and did some corporate did the art world and the art world does well. I was a docent at the Apex Museum. Sending love to Dan Moore who was recently transitioned. But the Apex Museum was my first introduction into art on the Atlanta scene.
Speaker 1: Because your college was writing college, yep, and.
Speaker 2: Then Atlanta was the art Listen I journal even now I have been working on a book for a minute. I think we are. We all have a story to tell. And what I like to do in my writing is share what I know with the world. I at one point wrote for Rolling Out there was a segment called space Invasions, and I would share trends about what the current trends are in the design world and how best to utilize in terior designers. So I did Space Invasions with Rolling Out under Munth's insteed for about three or four years, and hopefully you do something. I'm working on a couple other type of so you know.
Speaker 1: When you talk about, you know, writing with AI coming out now, yeah, yeah, you know, like this young lady I think recently she used grammarly for her for her report and she got kicked out of school because of Grammarly. And I used Grammarly for corrections. Yeah, and and the professor said she was cheating, right, So and then I remember they said that you know that Sports Illustrated I believe was using AI AI. Yeah a lot of the articles. Now when you hear that and you're a writer, yeah, are you mad?
Speaker 2: Not at all? I'm like, help me in truth, I tell you, even AI when it relates to design. First of all, you have to tell AI what you want, so there's that. And then second, when it comes to design, you can source renderings, you can source design concepts, but you still need a human being to do the logistics, to actually install, to do the work behind the renderings or the design concepts. And when it comes to writing, yeah, I think these on some levels we're getting away from what we've done as far as sourcing for writing materials. But I think also AI is sharpening the writing skills because if you write something and you're using the wrong terms addiction AI.
Speaker 1: Definitely because I'm gonna tell you it helps me because I'm always communicating, I'm always emailing individuals, and Grammarly it helps me out knowing that my letter structure typos it catches a lot of type exactly. You know a lot of people send you emails. Please excuse my dipos you know, well, hopefully GRAMDMA and fixing that catch it. I don't excuse nothing over here, I hoping them. So you send a structure only through Grammarly. And so in the design world, you like I said, you your Radlett Hall. Yeah, journalism moved to Atlanta. Yeah, Okay, we steal this whole sign brown. Where did this come from?
Speaker 2: No, Well, my father was a landscaper. I was born in New York but grew up in Florida. Okay, so in moving to Florida, my father's only job really he could get would be cutting grass in the landscape, and he took that and created a company, Lost and Brown Landscape And would go to these huge homes. I as a child would sneak in and see how beautiful they would to be designed, and I would run home and kind of try to recreate it right. And I always had that little love for design, but never really gave it a title because I never saw anybody of color doing interior design. The first black interior designer in the Florida area was Cecil Hayes, and she was out of the Fort Ladder to Miami. She did a lot of the Superstar homes and then in New York. The brother who actually started the movement for interior designer was based out of New York and d C just an average Hey, I'm an interior designer and I'm a person of color. I didn't see that growing up, so I didn't know it was possible. It wasn't until life shifts changing from corporate America because I was working with ge and got laid off, went to a divorce, all of this happening, and I came back what brings me joy? And that's when I sat still and I realized that design was my heart.
Speaker 1: You said a lot there. That was about twenty years worth of college. Yeah, got it.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna slow you down. You were not going to do my show life this short. Just shut my show L O L and l A L. Hey, you know when I when I when I want to go back for a mate. When you was talking about going to these homes. I remember in high school, my friends was going. I lit my little beat up little car and we should go in all these neighborhoods that we couldn't afford, and I would just see how. I would just see yard designs and just see and that really stayed with me, you know, and I always would recommend people. You know, you can't you can't have a dream if you don't know where to start exactly, you know what I'm saying. And so that was my starting point seeing things. That's what is your dream? I always tell people, you don't have a dream unless you have a starting point or a goal. And so early on my dream was I would I would look at car magazines and look at these different cars that I could afford. And I like to believe that those cars I saw in high school, I'm driving today and the same thing. And I think that when I look at the homes that I see out there, it's been blessed in my life because I had a goal in high school and I was driving, and I remember police would run me out of the neighborhood while you're over here, because with all those memories, and I would look at you know, ornings I look at the edges. I look at the edges and all that stuff, and it really really is what my foundation is, the setting goals for my personal life.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Totally? Totally? And you hit on something as far as the rooflines and the angles. I always it's like a gentleman's suit. The certain cuts and the angles on a suit is how the actual home structure. And you also mentioned seeing it and then now you're living it. Vision boards and that's, you know, from a spiritual standpoint, people talk about vision boards right cut it out, and that's what you, well, you're triggering your mind that this is what I want to achieve. And if you don't have a goal or something to move towards, then it's hard to actually achieve it. That's where design concepts come in. As a designer person, I don't know what I like. Well, here, let's do some Let's create a Pinterest board or give me some of your color, your favorite colors. Let me create a rendering or design kind and then we'll build from that. So it's the same thing. You have an empty shell of a room and then now this is your CELFA, this is your LFE picture, and all these other elements and create that story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, cause I really want to. My show was really dedicated to AI, to that because of the fact that I think it's a term out that's being used to scare people, because I always tell people, if you type in where's my where's my favorite dog food store press enter, that's AI. Yeah, okay, yes, any GPS system is AI. Yes, okay. When you when you when you sit down and you like you said, you know, you look at any home designer show, they just show you these little movement the chair comes in walls and so you are saying early on, you would bringing the home baby, bringing on you know, because I think that in life were all moving so fast. We need that creative source versus sitting around trying to put themsel something in black and white, hold it up up and writing someone hold it up. Life doesn't work like that.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct, one hundred percent and one thing. I you know, I'm one of those persons where I'm like, if this is what I have, bring it on and then let me work with it. To me, AI, artificial intelligence is a jewel. We just have to learn how to let it work with us versus working against us.
Speaker 1: Okay, see my question talking to the jewel. How did you get into interior designs?
Speaker 2: I heard the day?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ma, did two kids move back? I'm here? Okay, Now how did you like? Friend you? Rattler didn't finished Atlanta brought you here? How did you get into interior doesness?
Speaker 2: Wow? Well, truth be told. My girlfriends would always call me over to their homes because they know I would sit there and say can I do this? And I would move the furniture around. So I've always done it. How do I make it a career? I got a business card, I started taking classes. I went back to school and became a licensed certified and terror designer.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I knew that it was a thing because well, when I got laid off, I took a maus Bridge test and it said that I was a business person and very creative. I'm gonna bring them together, and I from that point said I need school. So I went back and got my certification design. It was a two year window. But I'm continued like a millennial before millennial, okay, but I'm continuously going. Education is key. Though I didn't Clark Atlanta HBCU. I have more certifications than so many different arenas.
Speaker 1: They called me to go to break. When we come back, we're gonna learn more about my millennial friend here. You know she started millennials.
Speaker 3: She gave me.
Speaker 1: This is the one who hell up the care. You don't have to finish in four years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, start your life in two.
Speaker 1: There you go get the work the Melanie V and you listen to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. Don't go nowhere, please come back.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rushan McDonald. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to Melanievond Melody Bond in regards to interior design, renovation, art consultation. But just start the side of the show off. I was once living in one of my houses with my wife and I loved it, and then one day, over a period of time, I didn't like the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, this is that normally totally completely, and it's also honest because oftentimes people are in beautiful spaces and there's no need to shift. There's no need to buy a new sofa or buy anything new or paint because everything's perfect. But you've changed. So just like your skin sheds at seven years, your home to core and the energy of your home changes. And what I first recommend is move the furniture around a little bit at a minimum, paint the walls. But it's time to just kind of stir up that energy again and make a shift. Your your needs may be different, whereas before you might have not socialized, and now you want to have more cocktail gatherings, or you have grandkids versus your children coming back from college.
Speaker 1: So that's all mean I want.
Speaker 2: I just want to feel relaxed, relaxed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, somehow I was walking into that house and I wasn't relaxing anymore. Yeah, so I found I actually find my little zenz spaces. Yeah, and I couldn't find them anymore or it felt either go upstairs to find yeah, you know what I'm saying, to go upstairs to find that zin spot. And so because because as you get older, you physically change, you don't feel like putting forth effort to do anything. So it's someone like you want to to meet. Yep, I just want to come in the house during that walking my door falling.
Speaker 2: Baby, Yep, you know what I'm saying. You know, I totally do.
Speaker 1: But they got to be in the kitchen to be next to the bathroom almost with a cruise ship cap.
Speaker 2: Yes, well you know what COVID did that to a lot of us though it changed the way we live, so a lot of you know, during COVID, I did more uh school, living room, dining room setups. But you are one hundred percent correct in that you feel different in your space, and it is time to hire and TIERR designer.
Speaker 1: That's where you from. I see a lot of advertising on TV about these walking in the targets, opened the door, shut the door, you sit down, that you're in the tube? Is that all those of us as popular as they say they are.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's an advertisement, So let's let's go there first. Actually, the biggest trend now are curbless showers, curbless bathrooms, wet rooms where there's literally no separation between the shower, the the free standing tub and the toilet area. It's like one open space. And that's the direction a lot of homes are going to because we are living longer and we're needing that type of environment. Yeah yeah, we're living volunteer and nineties and doing it cute. But that's one of the big trends. And those walking you know, we can revamp your bathroom. Yeah that's possible, but trust and believe in another five years you may need to do it again, just because and for those who have it, it's a great whoever thought of that idea koodles to them because they're trillionaires at this point. But the true trend and the true lifestyle change in bathrooms is a full fully tiled it's called curve liss a frameless bathroom.
Speaker 1: Right now, your father did landscape and that was a landscape. Now you know, when we about to sell the house, they always have the well landscape that they're ups your value. Do the kitchen or do the bathroom? What ups the value of a house if you're trying to sell.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you asked that because I'm actually in conversation with someone who's about to sell a five million hour house and I'm like, you gotta stage it. But the true values of homes now, Staging means creating an environment, creating a designed core that anyone can say, oh I could live here, meaning very neutral sofas, separate or acknowledging the space, how large it is, how it can be functioned, how it can be used, furniture, artwork, et cetera. But the value comes in hardwood floors for resale. Even though vinyl are the rave, but viyl vinyl floors are they are giving rage. Trust me, all of these condos throughout Atlanta, hardwood floors you're using a lot of those are made up of vinyl flooring or engineer flooring.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you just put down now?
Speaker 2: Vinyl has come a long way, baby, it's called luxury vinyl. Plane that rolled out. No, there's strips. They look like heartwood.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I got to get him into Florida Core. And yes, and by the way, I'm a senior designer at Florida Core as well. In Bucket. Okay, it's the design studio. I had to give you some love.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we're real cute. So you come in, you won't get dusty. You have something to drink, and you look at the beautiful tile.
Speaker 1: Okay, because that vinyl. Okay, but from a.
Speaker 2: Resale perspective, heartwood still number one.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Kitchen and bath okay. And landscape okay, let's go to the kitchen.
Speaker 1: What do I have to do in the kitchen? Make that pop?
Speaker 2: Beautiful solid surface countertop be it Cambria, which is a brand, but any solid surface really light veins, but even some dark like concretes are really sexy. Right now for countertops concrete concrete, so grant is out. Granted is easing out concrete.
Speaker 1: It absorbs water.
Speaker 2: I know, but it's very back to what's happening. It's a no you put a ceilant over it, and it's great for baking. So multi countertop options, but size.
Speaker 1: Does to seal it sustain the heat.
Speaker 2: It does. Yeah, concrete countertops are kind of the rave, however, for a that's for a more modern or more loft I'm thinking of all these loft apartments that Atlanta has somehow gotten, but from a tradition. From a traditional standpoint, I am a quartz girl. I love a solid surface, a quartz or a quartz. Night stone, granted is still number one because it's kind of affordable, but it's porous, so you really should seal it at least once a year so that you won't get those stains in it. But everybody you know, granted go to You can't go wrong with a granite but as he dances, But my favorite is a court so that so.
Speaker 1: That so so really you've shot your board down with the vinyl cow the viol floor and not a granite countertop. Okay, I know that's the relationship is still strong. They go to the restroom the back. Yeah, what what what do I have to do to make that pop?
Speaker 4: Tile?
Speaker 2: Til? My favorite is marble, but marble requires a little bit of maintenance. A little bit of ceiling, but large format tiles which can be used for countertops and for a floor you ever go into, like Sacks or Bloomingdale's those beautiful floors. That's porcelain tile. Okay, so porcelain tile throughout the entire home, as well as every wall in the bathroom. Okay, til it up. Oh gorgeous.
Speaker 1: So no whirlpool baths, so no, we're more.
Speaker 2: Into like the suckers, the sunken curved what type of curveless curveless bathroom?
Speaker 1: Walking down? You just shower, shower heads, a bench, your wife because.
Speaker 2: You shower, No way, and that's where design comes from, because my job would be to make sure the water flow is appropriate. So no one gets what not the homeboy?
Speaker 1: That's your oh white complaining. I'm with when you stop.
Speaker 2: Look in bathrooms. Now you've got TVs. You have speakers in the light fixtures.
Speaker 1: Oh we got a call here? Is that Barbara in New York?
Speaker 2: Is that hello?
Speaker 1: Okay? We can keep talking?
Speaker 4: Is it? Oh? No?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 1: Barbara from New York? Barbara?
Speaker 3: Yes, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: You have a question? Here is Rishon McDonald speaking alone with Ms Vaughan. How you doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have a question, but I have a comment to me.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I know Melody Vaughan. She was a colleague of mine in New York, Okay, and I can tell you that she is one of the best designers that on the East Coast.
Speaker 2: She is very.
Speaker 3: She keeps it kind of together and quiet and on the down low. But her talent and her renown throughout New York and Brooklyn was huge, and we were very, very sorry to see her go back to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna just tell you this, Barbara. She told her she ran through her story so fast. I didn't even know she came from New York. She didn't say nothing about New York. All I knew was fam you in Atlanta. New York never popped up.
Speaker 2: We talked about it.
Speaker 1: This is the story we talked off air. We said nothing. See now, I know with guests like her, Barbara, we got to keep all our conversations on air. She went YadA, YadA, YadA, YadA. Dad was a landscaper and then I started doing pools, Barbara, Barbara, I needed this call to really amplified somebody. Let us know that I have a superstar on the call.
Speaker 3: Here have a superstar. Thank you, thank you for one of the founding members of the Bad Guild, the Black Artists and Designers, which is a worldwide organization, and she was one of the designers that kicked it off.
Speaker 1: Barbara. Okay, Barbara, she's embarrassing her. You know she can't turn red, but she's trying. She trying. So Barbara, thank you for all this extra information. But you need to call early in the show because you can't call them when you show about the okay o train. I got to train the people call for you. You know, she she's ready to call. So fine, Thank you, Barber from New York. Appreciate you. She's fantastic. But you know those those the whole purpose of money making conversations, master classes that you are an individual to bring on the show a new superstars, and I try to create a platform to let your story because it resonates because it's a lot of Barberas who are been mentored, who work with individuals like you. And you don't know your value till you hear from That's what that's what. That's what all commercials are. They're just bragging about cars, bragging about the best chicken, bragging about the Hamburgers all that stuff. So I always tell people, you got to learn how to brag. The original bragger with Muhammad al Lee say that he was the regular brand. The prime time is the new original. And so you know, I got a great book out right now came I believe in March twelve. But the thing I always tell you and individuals like you, is that the blessings that you bring to the table have to be shared in or to be for you to appreciate it. Because you don't appreciate it, then you don't understand your value. And I always tell people your value or your cost, because you know you have a ferd and fee you charge and you know you get there. You have a resume. Yeah, but tend when it comes to personal value, we bush that resume their aside. And that happens a lot in the black community. White people don't do that.
Speaker 2: They tell everybody, everybody exactly people that's bragging. I know, you know, to kind of piggyback that, and I know we gotta jump off. I joined the National Association for Black Women in Construction, okay, and that has been life changing for me. These women are building not just homes, but they're building institutions. We have black women in construction and National Association.
Speaker 1: Good right, So it means you got I know what you're doing coming back, So you're gonna come back on my show. I think, yes, we're doing this. She's a fantastic guess. She's one of the bands. According to Barbara in Harlem. She has two kids, their sons them Women's Syracuse. She's doing the thing. Used to work for a depot. But when we tell that story publicly, thank you for coming on with Joe.
Speaker 2: Thank you such a blessing, and thank you for all that you do, and congratulations to this fiftieth and I love it. I think w C Okay is definitely a part of my soul.
Speaker 1: Yes, my soul. They let me come on the airby Tuesday to talk to people like you, which is a lesson.
Speaker 4: Okay, we talked to Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Master Class. Money Making Conversations Master Class with rough Shan mc donald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts.