Speaker 1: And That's what you really missed with Jenna and Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast, Welcome to and That's what you Really miss podcasts. The penultimate episode of season three? Are you kidding? We're already here? I yeah that we've said it now for the past three weeks, but it's true. It feels very weird. And I also have to say, in terms of what it was like in real life filming this, there's something about the very end of the season that feels like it was so far away, oh so like it feels like it exists in no man's land in my mind, because obviously one and two are very fresh in our mind. Somehow are just ingrained right. And then as we've been watching season three, a lot of Season three has actually been once I've seen it's like, oh, yes, I do remember this, Yeah, yeah, where these last two episodes live in my head? And maybe because it was at the end of a season and so exactly as we get to the end of seasons, it feels like last d Yeah, you're checked out mentally, and so I don't remember like where in time these numbers fit because obviously we remember competitions, you remember certain numbers and that's how we relate a lot of episodes to like storyline.
Speaker 2: I have very specific memories of shooting this, and I have no memory at all of shooting some of this.
Speaker 1: And I remember I remember, yeah, the same thing, specific memories of shooting this, but didn't realize they were all in the same episode in my head, like the memories of doing dashboard or doing the fight scene where I'm meeting the popcorn, or the scene where we're all getting ready for Nationals, like all those things live in my memory, but someone realize this is.
Speaker 2: Where they also don't live in my memory with theiric stilts for some reason.
Speaker 1: And same and then watching it, I was like, Eric must have directed this. Yeah, it feels so Eric.
Speaker 2: He also doesn't usually do competition episode.
Speaker 1: No, and I do remember that though I remember thinking, are you okay, Eric? He's always okay, Yeah, of course he's But this was the I mean, he's been training, I feel like, doing proms for years and this was a juggernaut. Truly, there's a lot that happens. Luckily it's all centered around Nationals, which I appreciate. Hm, there's not like a thousand different things happening going in fifteen different.
Speaker 2: Directions where all all roads are pointing to.
Speaker 1: Nationals, and it feels very cohesive in that way where you get that nostalgic feeling in every single scene of graduation so good.
Speaker 2: I also felt very emotional, and I remembered the feeling of like we didn't know what was coming in season four. We didn't know what it was going to be like, we didn't know if we were going to get new cast members, We didn't know.
Speaker 1: Any of this.
Speaker 2: So the feeling was this is the end in some ways, this is the end of an era. What happens next? Where do we go from here? So I do remember that the feelings more than the memories what I was feeling at the time. This definitely jogged my memory. I agree with you, this is not sequential for me at all, but I do remember a lot of it.
Speaker 1: And this is one of those moments where you and I were so excited to get to season three and beyond because we don't have a lot of off the cuff memories right before. It's jogged by watching the episode, and this I feel like was the culmination of that. So far. Yes, I felt so removed from it in like a great way, or I did enjoy it as a viewer. Yes, and you texted me while you were watching it, and then that made me want to watch it and so good. It's so good.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about it. So this season three, episode twenty one, This is Nationals and this aired on May fifteenth, twenty twelve. And this is a penultimate episode of season three. And the number one song was Somebody that I Used to Know by gouta again and Avengers is still number one. I expect it to be on our number one roster for quite a bit of time.
Speaker 1: Come to come, so glean news of the week. This is a big one and I love that this all lined up perfectly. Nationals features Glee's four hundredth musical performance.
Speaker 2: How is that even possible that we dashboard light? Yeah, which just feels right.
Speaker 1: That feels like a time to celebrate, And we were we were doing a competition, which really felt like a celebration. It felt like we're on tour doing a real performance. Oh my god, thank god we didn't do that. I'm around tour, I know. This episode was directed by Eric Stoltz, written by Ali Adler. Yes, whoopees back, Groff is back. We have Rexley icon Owen, and Lindsay Lyon is also an icons Hilton whatever, he's in his own right, I guess, I guess, you know, I just press Hilton was awful to a lot of people. M hmm, okay, let's name it. He just was and got famous off of that and then got upset that people didn't like him. And it's like, you established an entire brand off of being the bad guy and then you have to like own that, you just have to own it. Then. Yeah. I remember he showed up to the tour the first tour we did, and we all avoided him because right us, we were like, we also, you don't deserve the Yeah, like that we were. That was very much in the throws, and it was nice that Lindsay Lewyn's character was calling that out of it.
Speaker 2: It's also I thought those scenes were very funny.
Speaker 1: You know. I have to say, Lindsay Lyon is a national treasure.
Speaker 2: Mother is making her come back and I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: Yes, And she went through a really hard time and she grew up in the public eye and was dealing with the disease and doing that in the public eye. I feel like only magnifies that times and it's in the press and is not kind about that, and they don't make it easy for people to live. And I just think she's so talented, and I'm so happy that she's like back on it and back out there and showing up and doing a cameo. Is this she's even great? That's what you said.
Speaker 2: I think we always said that, like it's so unfortunate the journey she was going through and the challenges she was having, because she's wildly talented. That's the that was like the disappointing part of it. And also as a human, I have my own qualms with Lindsay and him, but I'm so glad she is thriving right, And she was really great on set, and we didn't really know what to expect, especially Eric, who had to kind of lead this ship, and like, you know, you're dealing with Perez who's not an actor, Lindsay who's kind of on this journey, and then and you just don't know what you're going to get. And he said she came prepared. He said, she maybe not quite on time, but prepared, and so like she knew our lines at least.
Speaker 1: I felt really bad for Rex recir the consonate professional kind as anything. Oh my god, and he was just sort of like, what's going on. I love him? I love him. He's very funny and thank god he was there. He was really the anchor in that Oh totally totally.
Speaker 2: And then just like the writing on it and Lindsay willing to like talk about herself in that way and everybody is kind of self aware. I appreciated, yeah game for that fun Yeah. Okay, so before we get too deep into it, there are a lot of songs. I also forgot that the Edge of Glory was the travel Tones number.
Speaker 1: Jenna, you did it. I made Trouble Zone even I was like I and Mercedes wouldn't let you get out of it, which I was like, finally and having like being able to talk to you every week about these things and talking about how desperately you wanted to be in Trouble Tones and then see you get there as a friend, even though we already filmed it and we all forgot about it. It's like, yes, she did it. My jaw was because we've been talking about this so so her wish I was in the Trolltones. Tina, you were you were one time?
Speaker 2: One time anyway, she made it though, I take it so we did at your glory. It's all coming back to me now. Paradise by the Dashboard, Light Starships, Pinball, Wizard Tongue Tied We Are the Champions, and the unreleased and very short version of Starlight Express.
Speaker 1: Unroller Skates by the Portland Scale Blazers Blessed. I love the team names. It's funny.
Speaker 2: It was that that you don't I get it for TV, but like that you don't encounter all the same groups often except for Vocal Adrenaline, our main enemy, we don't encounter any of these groups again. Okay, So this episode we talked about last week was the episode that aired right after a prop so they were concurrent.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine that must be so much fun to watch two.
Speaker 2: Episodes in one, and they were both really fun episode and they directly feed into each other, which didn't always happening.
Speaker 1: That's right. That was like, I feel like these last three or four episodes are all one big story, which is so nice. That's right. This is the second competition to feature real celebrities of judges. The first time wasn't Journey. That's right.
Speaker 2: Two versions of the victory scene were filmed vocal adrenalines when and our whin Vocal Adrenaline didn't get confetti because of the cleanup. But we did shoot both as they do in like Drag Race, where they shoot because there was a live audience. There were so many extras. Brad Salatrak probably had PTSD from the prom King Queen being leaked, and I do remember that.
Speaker 1: I remember that as well, and also I believe the I remember actually I remember it so specifically. The Vocal Adrenaline quote unquote win was very The filming of it was very half assed, totally like they weren't actually using film. Andrew just sort of like roaming around with the steady cam and we were doing all.
Speaker 2: The action, but we really didn't. Yeah, we did it. It was performative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean drag Race really does it. They do the full win for all the finalists.
Speaker 2: Even for our our version. Yeah, the celebrity version. It was like they did it and we didn't know. We didn't In drag Race.
Speaker 1: We didn't know. Obviously, we knew in the script. Even during the airing of the finale, I was texting with the finalists and they didn't even know as it was happening right, Yeah, it was airing so Vocal Adrenaline sings more than one song in an episode for the first time, which I loved. I was really I'm like, are they going to go to another song? Because I really want that. I want if we do three songs, I want to see the other team do three songs.
Speaker 2: So I agreed, and then I also was wondering unique was singing it?
Speaker 1: So last year we got chopped like we they acted like nationals went on for like most couple of competitions, yes, and there was no chopping this one. It was just we went. Yeah. I mean, obviously, I'm kind of glad for.
Speaker 2: It for our sanity. This is the first time New Directions one's first student competition, which is the Death Death Spot.
Speaker 1: I liked that. I was here for too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I re elect drama because you all know, it's like that was oldest time. He never want to go first. People forget the yearbook that Rachel signed was available and published formed to purchase. It was called Glee the Official Oiam McKinley William McKinley High School Yearbook. Who has it out there?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure people, I'm sure we got one. Yeah, probably we had our own yearbook with our crew and everything, which we really, I really liked at the very end of the show. So this is the only Nationals episode where the title doesn't refer to the city where the competition is held. This is also the only Nationals episode where New Directions don't doesn't sing a song related to the city obviously, like in New York, New York really sang I Love New York, and then in Los Angeles when we do that and they saying I Love LA, there's no Chicago song. Fun fact, though, our very good friend Will Malnaughty, whose family is the mal Naughties in Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Pizza Empire, we did get their their box placed in the episode.
Speaker 1: Did you have anything to do with that?
Speaker 2: It was Diana actually who did that. It was Diana very smart and so that that was our little ode to Chicago. And we also weren't in Chicago, so that was also part of it. So in props we see in the direction setlist and Quarantina were already an edge of glory whoopsies. But here's why. Our props people are very busy handling the props for every episode, and you get a list of the characters in each number probably or you look and you see which characters are in it. Maybe they weren't fully reading the script to understand that this was not happening until next.
Speaker 1: Week, right, that's my guess. Yeah. And they were so meticulous and detailed, like, oh yeah, they barely haven't slip ups, so yes, fair, Like, look at all the props, all the students happen every single scene. All of that is like three people in the props department. It was really insane, and they cared like they would run in and adjust things the very last minute. Oh my gosh. Like they had a lot of things to handle.
Speaker 2: Yes, they literally from like a pen, a notebook, an eraser, a backpack, everybody's.
Speaker 1: Backpacks and a lot of things. I think that department, too, because there's so much going on, was like not undervalued. But I don't think people realize the amount of work that goes into unsung heroes. Heroes and just when something is always good and at a certain level, it's easy to take for granted because you don't have to worry about it, right, And that's how they were. They were always just so good. It was like the art department, it was like, you actually didn't ever have to worry about that. That was never a thing. They're good at their job. Exactly when the Teacher of the Year award is being announced, mister Schuster appears to have lipstick smudged on his cheek. I noticed that. After the award is announced and while hugging each Glee member, Quinn wearing red lipstick, kisses him on the cheek. This would mean the scenes were filmed out of order. Is this true? Very possibly? Sometimes we would just do things block shooting. So if we were just shooting all in one direction towards the stage, let's say, you need a thought of us, right, and so if they were trying to get us out, so let's say it was the last scene of the day and they needed us to film the next day to shoot out the twelve members of the glee club would save everybody on the turnaround at the twelve hours that we have to have from the time he wrapped when we can be back on setting. And so it's very likely that that did happen where they shot everybody that was on the stage portion first, and.
Speaker 2: Then they turned the cameras around and then they shoot mister Shoe's stuff on and including the teacher announcement. Yes, so including his speech and everything would be earlier because the cameras would be the other way around.
Speaker 1: It's possible.
Speaker 2: I don't actually remember if we did that, but Eric was very good at block shooting, and he was very efficient, and so I believe that that probably happened. I think you're right, Kevin. When the new directions arrived back at McKinley, Emma show's Will newspaper with a picture of Will holding the Nationals trophy in the choir room on the front page. However, considering the new directions hadn't been back to school yet, how is this possible? Plus Will is wearing the same outfit in the photos he is in the scene. Whoopsies, that's funny.
Speaker 1: I did go back and look at the newspaper again after reading this fun fact and was like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: He is on the same outfit. They took it on the day they printed it. They gave it to Emma. You know, is a quick turnaround for these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not all going to be perfect. This is insane to me. You knew how last time. The like Fox publicity summary of the episode was like a sentence sentence. It was a sentence and didn't really explain anything. Yes, are you ready to hear this one? I'm ready. When Mercedes like Nationals, everyone right, like this is what everyone's been talking about for three years. Here is the official Fox summary of the episode entitled Nationals. When Mercedes comes down with a bad case of food poisoning, Will drafts Tina and Quinn to sub for her. That's it.
Speaker 4: Somebody got really lazy that week. They were really busy, and they designed that was it? What or they pressed? They selected all and deleted by accident.
Speaker 1: It was like it had to be long enough, short enough to fit in the original tweet size. So funny, so funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean talk about bearing the lead here, I mean Mercedes has food poisoning. The scene is ridiculous in the hotel room, partially because of the nicknames that Sue calls Mercedes.
Speaker 1: Insane.
Speaker 2: And all the girls are there most some of the girls are there taking care of Mercedes. And we get a signed Tina and Quinn. We get a signed to do the Trouble Tones because we are not sure if Mercedes is going to be able to perform at Nationals.
Speaker 1: For we kind of.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that scene.
Speaker 1: I don't remember doing that.
Speaker 2: Scene, I mean at all, obviously, because I didn't remember that I was in the trumpet.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what I was thinking, And as I was watching this entire episode, Stolts moves very quickly. Yes, so I think we remember all of these scenes in these competition episodes because there's a lot of us in new environments and they take a really long time to shoot. Stoltz does not do that. You just you go, you're moving, And I think that's what was happening, even we didn't even film dashboard that many times you're you're totally right, and so I think he was just we have about two hours worth of content to fit in an hour, so let's keep it moving.
Speaker 2: And he was always like that with a big episode or not. You know, you would make either make a small episode feel like a big episode, and you make a big episode feel like it was like a normal Glee episode.
Speaker 1: And shout out to Stults because I had nothing to do in this episode and he still cut to me and made me feel like I was still a part of the episode. And I really appreciated that he.
Speaker 2: Always did that. He always made everybody feel included, especially your popcorn moment, which leads me to the rehearsal in that lobby room wherever the hell we were.
Speaker 1: No to young actors, if you're going to choose to eat something in the first take of a scene, you screwed yourself. You have to do it the entirety of the shoot. How much popcorn did you eat? I had so much popcorns in that and it was at Chicago. It was like, so the cheddar and then she's caramu. I love that stuff, and I was just going in on it. And when Naya comes around. We fucked up so many takes because I would get to my face and I was trying to make her laugh and she was trying to make me laugh. I think at some point Stoltz was like, okay, guys, like get it together. He never did that either. No, it was we couldn't and I've said it before, we couldn't look at each other in scenes and we're barely hold like she's so not looking at me, and the take that made it in and I'm barely hanging on if you Sometimes I try to do that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you just have to look away and make it look like you're looking at them. You were barely that both of you. Whenever you guys have lines together, you can always kind of tell you're on the verge.
Speaker 1: I love that. Though it was so much fun, it was chaos. It actually was chaos filming that because there was a lot of steady cam as well. There was a lot of movement everywhere. It felt like the one where they still are set list. Yes, but that's also how you save time. If you keep everything on steady cam, everything's lit in every direction right, you can just keep it moving right, yes, because otherwise what you have to do to get technical about it is you set down tracks or you set down like then you have to get up all that gear and move it to another and cover whoever is facing that specific direction. So when we're all sort of in a circle in this, you have to cover that from that many angles, which is damn near impossible to steady caam. You can see the entire room because you can.
Speaker 2: Just walk around with the camera and they light the whole thing all at once, versus in each setup that they do in the scenes, basically they have to relight it for that part of the room.
Speaker 1: It's like David or russell movie. If you watch any of David or Russell's movies, all of that thing is steady cam. He's got about a billion people in every scene and it just saves so much time. It's so true.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if I breaks out because Puck is studying for geography, people are mad at him, which is crazy for studying. Rachel has her own agenda, obviously, needing everybody to be perfect because carbon Thibodeau might be there, and Quinn is still questionable on her feet. So we are having this wild argument and then Mercedes comes in and she's magically better already, very fast, very fast, thankfully though, thankfully she comes back.
Speaker 1: I love those shots of everybody getting ready for the competition in front of all the lights, and then when she comes in and sort of saves the day. And for once, the things Sue had a student do made sense, like all the recommendations she had for like how she should get better quickly, Like, oh, that's pretty reasonable.
Speaker 2: Sue is really scary this episode because it was so unlike her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was nice because you never get to see into well we did once when Sue. We never seen into the Cheerios competitions. Right, except when she was trying to get Brittany to fly out of that canon can obviously unsafe, but if she is a billion time national champ, then she should have these things, these bits of right she tries to see her. It felt in character for her to know how to do these things, which I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I appreciated see this whole episode. I have to be honest.
Speaker 1: I loved at the end. I know he's skipping ahead here, but when they're walking to the Teacher of the Year celebration and she says, I've been pregnant for an indeterminate amount of months or a determinate amount of time. I love that Sue was on it. She is on it. So another thing that was happening this episode for Rachel is the carmon Thibodeaux of it all, the whoopie of it all right, and she' back. She's hoping, whoop he's going to show up. She doesn't know what he's going to show up. She runs into Jesse, and Jesse somehow magically knows that she bombed her audition and that she's hoping she's going to be there, And I like that exchange between them felt very mature. Everybody felt very mature in this episode. Ben and Jesse interaction too, I know, I honestly it felt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really nice to see Jesse show a little bit of love and truth and.
Speaker 1: Kind of take his walls down. I even liked.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that was the one you're referring to Rachel and Jesse, but I really liked their scene as well together. Yeah, everybody was very adult and mature.
Speaker 1: In this episode. I would like to say John Graff looked extra hot. I mean.
Speaker 2: He looked like at a tan, Like he went away, did you have a tan?
Speaker 1: I don't know. He looked really good. So Tivodeau does show up just in time to see Rachel sing belt out Celene. So fun fact. Fun fact.
Speaker 2: Rachel and Leah actually, if I if my memory is correct, we both were asking for Selene songs for like a long time because we both love Selene, and we both got them. Uh, Leah, I believe was asking for power of Love and Ryan got it wrong.
Speaker 1: Oh he swapped them and swapped it and did. It's all coming back to me.
Speaker 2: Whether he got it wrong or he intentionally did, it's coming back to me because he liked it better. I don't know, but I remember Leah being like I didn't I actually had asked for it.
Speaker 1: The other one, I do remember that. I mean she sounded great, so it's fine. It was awesome.
Speaker 2: She sounded insane, and Carmen Tibodeaux sees her and sees the standing ovation she gets and it's definitely moved. I mean, we'll see, but she's moved.
Speaker 1: And I was moved as a viewer because it's like Rachel Berry is at her best stage, Yes, exactly. See her with her people that even though sometimes she treats questionably, that's her safe space, yes, yes, and she's able to shine with that support like she got after her loan for that audition and choked right, and then you have her with her family and she kills it.
Speaker 2: And also don't remember being on stage.
Speaker 1: See, we were not, I think because our involvement in it was so little. There's paparazzi pictures of us at base camp like doing doing like foot races and on the one, Yeah, because we had so much downtime, that's what happens to the Yeah, we were not on that stage very long, and so my memory of it, you're right, it's sort of non existent because of that, like we shot it so quickly. Well, we also on that day waited quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Of time because some people were late mm hm, and so there was a lot of downtime. Also, the sure was because we were just waiting and so waiting for.
Speaker 1: A very long time. I think they had then they had to swap the.
Speaker 2: Schedule, right, which is never a good thing for National because everything has to kind of go according to planner.
Speaker 1: You're a fact, Yeah, So I imagine they moved up Unique and Vocal Adrenaline to shoot maybe earlier than they were supposed to right well speaking, and I think wait before you Unique, you texted me and said you thought something sounded off about or something weird with Lea's vocals, and there is a line that is like fully ahead of the beat, which never happens. And this is speculation, but I do remember this starting to happen around this time, where if we did not have enough time to go record the song you do with the demo, we do with the demo, And I'm wondering if that's what happened here where she had a lip sync to the demo and so then they had so she had to then go back and match what she was the lip syncing, how she was lip syncing to another person singing, and so therefore the timing could have been off. Interesting. I don't know, I don't remember that happening at that point, but maybe all right, but it didn't happen often. It just happened every once in a while, and it was usually towards the end of the season because that's when we're now behind, right, Okay, good point.
Speaker 2: So Unique is uh is the lead of Vocal Adrenaline at this time, but Unique is now freaking out because Curtain Mercedes after their performance go to where she Unique good luck. They go to them give them a flower, and Unique is saying, I'm not going to go do it. And this is where we start to plant the seed that Unique is going to join New Directions because Unique is not feeling the love from Vocal Adrenaline, is wearing a lot of pressure and curt and Mercedes are just showing him how things are done.
Speaker 1: At McKinley.
Speaker 2: Unique performances were amazing. Alex literally is insane. The split is something that we have.
Speaker 1: To talk about. Ex.
Speaker 2: Split split lift, split lift, but also I mean, the whole thing is in heels, singing them across pinball machines and heels exactly moving pinball machines. And then Starships. Now, I thought that was amazing. I didn't think it was as good as New Direction, And I don't know if that was the editing because they were not supposed to be as good as a New Direction or they're they're their own thing. But maybe it was also the song choice because I don't love Starships, Like.
Speaker 1: I think the song choices were good, but they were a little off. And then also I think, I mean, they've always been a team that just has like one star and they build everything around that, right, and so I think sometimes that works better than other times, Like Bohemian Rhapsody was obviously like oh my god, perfect, literally perfect, and it did feel like it didn't work as well, like I just want to see unique. Yeah, well that's also what it was.
Speaker 2: I think it was the shooting of it, Like the shots of it were very much on unique the whole time, which they should be. But I know that Zag and Brook they choreograph for the bigger picture. For vocal Adrenaline, I knew we didn't see that as much. It was much more closer tighter shots and like the timing of a lot of things, even in new direction stuff. Some of these cannons didn't quite hit like of us moving because they were on close ups of people versus the wide shot.
Speaker 1: However, they did get that crazy move a vocal journaline where they were launching those girls, oh my, going through the air and being caught and all of our everybody's reactions were so good and real because that was insane, Like Zach and Brook. Somehow every year managed to think of some crazier, bigger move yes than the year before. And I don't know how they do it. Psychos full psycho, but I mean just watching Alex Nowell perform is just thank god we got two songs. Well we had to. I want to watch Alex perform anything, everything, anything. I also really loved Curtain Mercedes. When they were talking to me before Kurt says, you know, maybe because unique or Weight is concerned that they can't conjure the strength, and when Kurt is like, maybe unique, unique can carry that for you, and it was just really beautiful and I liked it. They've become they're passing down like they've had to go through the hard times and find their people that support them, and now they're passing it. They're passing it on well exactly.
Speaker 2: It was very reminiscent of Kurt like and Chris even taking on the pressure of being this massive gay icon on a massive show. Yes, and like ever, when they were saying that, he was saying that, I was hearing like, oh, yep, exactly when I feel like, why do I have to be responsible the post Chier for all, It's like mm.
Speaker 1: Hmm, totally, it's exactly. Yeah, it was exactly. It was very well set, very well, very well. I love that scene. I love that scene. And also it turns out there's an MVP award at Nationals. I guess so, but we didn't know.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't know because we've never been to a final Nationals, So I don't actually want to know why they did that. Was it to divert the like, to prolong the win, like because the MVP usually comes from the winning team. Did they then think, like, is this going to prolong the audience's thinking that it's going to be vocal adrenaline that new direction is going to lose.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like it's that because then you do see the new directions reaction and it looks very concerned. But I also think it's something to justify Vocal Journaline not winning because Alex is so good that to not have Alex's team are your active team win feels crazy and so it sort of softens that. I think it makes it more realistic, like, Okay, the team doesn't win, but Unique was so good that we have to award her in this way. And so then as a team effort, new Directions wins, which makes more sense to me. So we've got Vocal and General and through all of this, Thibodeau has been there right, has witnessed the whole scene. Yes, And on her way out, she gets stopped by Jesse Saint James, and Jesse Saint James tells her, I heard what happened with Rachel Berry, and I just need you to know she's the most talented person I've ever met. Not what I was going to expect from him. No, And then I also thought car Tipboat would be like, no, she put you up to this sort of reaction, and it was a really nice exchange and also something I felt like that was really humbling for Jesse Saint James because since the start of Glee Vocal Journaline has been it. Nobody has been better or been able to beat vocal Jorenaline, and Jesse's been the star, right, and but that's all still like small town Ohio stuff, right, And then Thibodeau from the big city and the Star then tells Jesse like, oh, yes, I remember your audition for me and like it was okay, right right right, and for her then whatever happens with Rachel Berry and for him to say that out of Rachel Berry, it all is leading to this realization of how destined and talented Rachel actually is outside of you know, where they're from and their circumstances. Well.
Speaker 2: Also kudos to the writers for re do you mean carbon Thibodeau somehow? Because she she is very tough and she's very harsh, and for her to remember his audition and the specifics of it was, I was like, Okay, she is the real deal. Like she she's legit. She's not just being.
Speaker 1: The devil? Do you know what I mean it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Do you like that She's He's saying Gine's in the sky for her love And I also can't I want to see him do that. I do too. He'd be a lot of spit.
Speaker 2: So much spit would be a lot of spit, because that is the most you have to enunciate in the world. She is right about something that is one of sometime's hardest pieces ever.
Speaker 1: Love it. Did you have you got your college degree in musical theater, in theater performance in my musical theater. Yes, going into that school, applying to that school. Was there an audition process like this? Oh yeah, every school has an audition process for the programs. You have to get into the school on the program. So did you encounter any people that were reminiscent of to Dodo? Oh yeah, for sure. My the the head of my theater musical theater department, was very much like that. She's very tough and not well liked by a lot of people. So then this is really.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was I was told I walk like a pigeon.
Speaker 1: I still that.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of a lot of things, and she's redeemed herself and we're we're all good now. But I guess, but it is. It is similar in a lot of ways. And then there's other harsher schools to swallow conservatories. But yes, this is true. This is truer than the Nationals and the show higher competitions.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah yeah, how did I mean? How many rounds do you have to go through?
Speaker 2: Like? Was it just one audition? Yes, it was one audition for I don't think I had to perform for my minor?
Speaker 1: Did I have to?
Speaker 2: I did have to do a monologue for my theater performance audition, and maybe I did have to sing to get into the minor.
Speaker 1: I had a lot.
Speaker 2: I had auditioned for quite a few schools. I think Juilliard has more rounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. Yeah, obviously I didn't make it past the first round Juilliard, right, he did, hopefully so who artist? Of course he did. That makes sense to me. He turned down going to Juilliard to do glee.
Speaker 2: He did for dance for dance, yes, yes he did. I think to move. I don't know if it was specifically for really, but oh my god, okay, I can't wait to have take apart to some time.
Speaker 1: I'm just very I'm proud of you, Oh my god, thank you you did all that. That seems very intimidating.
Speaker 2: It's very stressful and very intimidating and very scary, and you just want to give up sometimes, but like Rachel Berry, you just do.
Speaker 1: You're going to New York hell or high water. I mean you were Rachel Berry. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: And it was really intense. And I didn't even do half the auditions that like some of these kids did, and these conservatories and things that are so hardcore. I mean so every semester, some of these conservatories have I don't know if it's like this anymore, but they have juries where you go in front of the whole board of like teachers, and they can kick you out of the school.
Speaker 1: At any point or out of the program at any point. Was there any sense of animosity because you had already been on Broadway? Like, was there any sort of like, oh, just because you've done it and you think you're good, are we going to put extra pressure on you exactly to prove that shit? Basically yes, exactly, like you got to prove yourself. I felt a lot of pressure to prove myself that I could do this because I hadn't been in Spring Awakening or Waitress yet or done any of this stuff. It was a lot of kids stuff, So it was like, could I prove that I was actually worthy of being in this industry as not just a kid but an adult artist. And so that was like I put major pressure on myself to do that, and so that was really hard. And then like wanting to audition while I because I had an agent through all throughout college. A lot of college programs you do the senior showcase to then get an agent and manager and get representation. I already had it, and so a lot of schools don't want you to audition outside because number one, they don't feel like you're ready, and number two, you're you're representing the school, so like when you come out, they want you to be ready and represent what they've taught you.
Speaker 2: And so they really don't support people who have agents who are working. And then also if you're working, there's a lot of performance based classes where you have to show up and you can't just like read from the textbook and take the test and then you know, like lecture hall style. And so there was a lot of drama that I went through in school because of that.
Speaker 1: Well, despite all that, you got in and you graduated in three years with a major ani minor. So I did.
Speaker 2: I did what Annelie Ashford did, So she's obviously you know everybody knows who Anily Ashford is at this point now. And I literally saw she. I had the same ta. I said, give me that her courses, give me everything that she did and get me on at the same time.
Speaker 1: And they did. Were you in the same year.
Speaker 2: She was a year ahead of me, early two years out of me, And so I saw her do it, and I was like, I need to do that. She's the only one I would see it. Auditions like equity auditions in the mornings before class.
Speaker 1: Also, you would go to auditions and in the morning before class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because epas you have to go really early to sign up to get on the list, to like make it before their day ends. She'd have a little roly suitcase, and you just like sick of seeing your best sixteen bars and hope that they see something in you if you don't have an agent, right, Yeah, And I also went anyway because I even if my agent didn't get that audition, I would go.
Speaker 1: This makes so much sense because I feel like if you have been through that, you you're just cut from a different cloth. Like you you're wherewithal to withstand different situations. It's just so much higher than the rest of us. And I think because like you, you've done it, where like you've grinded, you've hustled. You know exactly what it's like. And coming from working as a kid and then going through that and then coming out of it and working as an adult, it's not like you've ever coasted, right, and you've fought for all of it, and you.
Speaker 2: Like Glee, also felt like normal almost to me, Like the hustle felt normal to me. Yes, it didn't feel if it was hard, but it didn't feel out of the ordinary until like now when you look back, you're like, none of that is normal.
Speaker 1: What was out of the ordinary was the facing, the public interfacing of it all, right, like you hadn't really experienced that yet, Yes, exactly. That was a very different experience. That was a very because if it was just the work and it was the sixteen hour days and whatever, right, I think it probably would have had very little effect on most of us. But I think it's yeah, but I think especially like you or like Matt or Leah who come from that world, like, yeah, you guys, theater is hard, and if you can do theater, you can do anything.
Speaker 2: And so I.
Speaker 1: Feel like the fame of it all is what makes people funny, Oh totally, because that's mental. It's another mental constraint that there's no training for, right.
Speaker 2: And then social media on top of it, and like the acceptance of was already a thing as an artist. You're looking for external gratification, yes, from elsewhere exactly already as an artist. That's part partially what it is when you start out, and then you get all of this, like you're surrounded by yes, people who tell you you're amazing and all of this, and then you're also brought down by all of these like criticisms and reading the comments and all of that, and that brings you down and you're like is this real?
Speaker 1: This isn't real.
Speaker 2: But then it still feels good when you get good validation. And so there's a lot of that that was. And then like you know, working on the weekends and the press and all of that, which was like kind of comes with the job. It's like it's a taxing time because you don't have time to sit down and like have a moment with your thoughts. You're just surrounded by it all the time. We were just working all the time. That being said, though, I also feel like part of coming from theater is. It's also really tough mentally, where like people are not kind, right, Like you're in constant competition with one another. You also get reviews hmm, but I feel like it's so insulated from the rest of the world. Yes, it's a very small community.
Speaker 1: Correct me if I'm wrong. It's very small community. You all know each other totally. But there is also I feel like, as competitive and as vicious as a theater community community can be, there's also this underlying support because to do it is to care about it, and if you respect one another because you all care about it. Yeah, you know what it takes to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's cut throat, it's not vicious. It's cutthroat for sure. I think they're different. But you're right, you are a great I agree with you. I do agree with you. It is, but it is much more insulart than the spread and the reach that we had on the show. So it's definitely anyway, well you did it, we did do it, that's right. I always that if you need something done, ask like that's funny, nothing gets in your way.
Speaker 1: You can do everything. I feel like you go through all that at a young age and it carries over into other parts of your life. That's interesting. I didn't even think about it like that. And also, your voice is just better than ever, so she still got it. Oh my god, that's so nice. You know, I don't agree with you. That's true. Look if Amber says it, then you know it's true. And she said it.
Speaker 2: Okay, just take it anyway. So new directions, back on track, Back on track, New directions.
Speaker 1: Wins.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we win. We really do win. It's pretty crazy. But we had to win, like we weren't going to not win at this point, right, there.
Speaker 1: Was no way to not win.
Speaker 2: I also feel like Brad saying like, oh, you couldn't win the first time around. I kind of knew we were going to win the second time around, like inside our Glee bubble, I kind of we weren't going to win, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think maybe we knew. I think because we didn't win the second time. It was or the first time it was like, okay, well then we have to like we are going to win the next because who's going to stick around after watching for three seasons and this is crap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was just you know, agreed, Yeah, so very exciting. I actually really love the scene where we're looking at the trophy and like taking it in and I remember shooting that after the Champagne, which we'll talk about.
Speaker 1: I love that scene. I love that moment. And actually all these celebrations felt really great, even our interactions in the slow mo of us getting the trophy on stage and all of us hugging each other, and it all felt, Yeah, it felt really sweet.
Speaker 2: There was also a celebratory thing because it was like this was our last competition together altogether, like we were not all going to perform together.
Speaker 1: Did you feel that while watching it?
Speaker 2: Totally? I understand. I was a viewer the feeling that the emotion that they must have been feeling at that time of this is the end of an era.
Speaker 1: Because I have to say, Corey and Lea really carried that woo because one Corey saying his ass off he was so good, like what but like Corey's best asset I think is his acting is through all of those things where he's not just singing a song the whole time. Through his performance, I was reminded, this is a kid who's never going to get to do this again. This is his last performance with his high school best friends before they all go off. Yeah, and I was it was so emotional. It was really emotional. They didn't present too where it felt like the characters are present taking it all in, like we know we're good at this, we know we can do this, and we've been here before. Yeah, and it felt joyous like all the performances like when you guys are doing Trouble Tones stuff. Everyone was on that wavelength and it just felt really impactful to watch and emotional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed. The numbers were great. I don't know how do you feel about Edge of Glory because I don't think it was the best Trouble Tones number they've done by far, but I love that song.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. It definitely wasn't my favorite trouble Tones number. And also I think because of how the dance was shot, it ended up looking sloppy. Yeah, yes, because I think I things were timed. Layers on the risers, that's exactly right, and so if you're in too close, it just looks like people are messing up and going at different times exactly.
Speaker 2: Canons. The whole thing was cannons. Yes, is that what that's called.
Speaker 1: That's what a cannon is. Yeah, like ro ro Ro. You're ro it's a cannon. That's what you meant by cannon. I'm uneducated. What have we learned? You are educated? I am not. You read books. Yeah, but that's not the profession I'm in. So you're doing the wrong thing. I'm like, Row, that's a cannon. That's the profession I'm in, parenting. Okay, So I do think that that is, you know, that is sort of what was missing from the edge of Glory moments. Yeah, and some of those. And I think what you said about vocal adrenalists too. You need those wider shots to get the full picture. But boy, what I did love that version, Like I love that Yeah, and I loved having all of you like come in for a line here, going for a line there. Diana was singing during my solo, by the way, well there were a couple of times too. I looked at some of the dancers and they were also just singing when really just a solo going on. And I think it was just a mess. Just be better to be safe than sorry. There could be a background in there, just very very low. It was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a moment where I was like, oh, even in passion, like Paradise. I was like, no, no, no, that's not right, but it's okay. It's not right, but it's okay.
Speaker 1: Paradise.
Speaker 2: We really do not We were learning those lyrics like on the side of the stage only yeah, we got those that morning. I think we were learning them in the trailer. I remember Tim coming in the trail, the makeup trailer because it was so last minute. Remember they did that overnight.
Speaker 1: That's right, and we didn't. I remember learning very last minute. I think maybe had one rehearsal of Paradise by dashboard like that I was in. I'm not in that number much, so it's not there's not a lot to do, right, but it was very I'm barely hanging on to this.
Speaker 2: I'm to be really yeah, yeah, yeah, just roll across the stage and I think you look like.
Speaker 1: Somebody pushed me, and then I'll get there totally.
Speaker 2: Well, there are a lot of platforms for you, so those made it difficult.
Speaker 1: That's true. I also think it's funny to me. So so many people have said that this is one of the most memorable or one of their favorite performances in Glee, and that My only thinking for why that could be is because of what.
Speaker 2: It means, right, emotional connection, what a weird song? What is a weird song? And then like the number itself is so like separate. So there's like three people and three people and you're running and then you're free form rocking and it's like it's just chaotic. It's actually what it is. And I don't think it was the most impactful. It's not like Somebody to Love, No, you know, but it's good and it's and it's big, and it felt like new directions of vocal adrenaline moment, which I also understand.
Speaker 1: The movement of it is a little more vocal adrenaline. Yes, how do I say.
Speaker 2: This refined in that way where it's like a little more sterile. Yes, it's a lot more technically good. Yes, yes exactly.
Speaker 1: But then you have acting their faces off, so right, telling the story, which is the important part of it. And I think we deserve to win after looking at all of those performances. I mean, Starlight Express that was ridiculous. I loved it.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm glad they put it down. So we win, and we go back to McKinley and and we when we shot Tongue Tied, I remember Eric not letting us see the sign really Yeah, for some reason, I remember him trying to keep all of it a secret.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. That sounds very Eric, and like I was very emotional watching it. Yeah, it was my favorite part of the episode. So good.
Speaker 2: I remember shooting it, I remember, I remember everything about it, and then like watching it back, I was like, oh crap, this is so good and all the moments within it like too, it's just so so Glee, like the five hundred dollars that Finn and pokuin and the chrack and then the champagne, which I remember shooting that part and I never wanted to be in the champagne or the paint or the whatever. I just never wanted the cleanup. I never wanted to do it. I don't like mess. And Eric told Harry, whispered to Harry and was like, go get jemmauck you Eric, and.
Speaker 1: He got me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're really good. And my whole hair was My hair was all wet. We were all soaked, soaked, you got soaked. But it was really fun.
Speaker 1: It was so much fun, and it just like Eric was so good encouraging Mess and that way my memory of this, of course, per usual is the recording of the song, and it was a hellish experience because it was so high for me, and there was this one really long note and because I'm not properly trained and Alex New likes to call me out on the I don't have great breath support and I could not do the note. And and this scene was happening, like, oh god, oh god, is it in the TV edit? And it sure was. And I just sawt like, hey, what are you?
Speaker 2: I thought it sounded good, but seeing the celebration was just so so good. I loved it. And also just like the whole school celebrating new directions finally, Yes, Like that felt like the victory was like a new direction is finally being accepted and celebrated finally. That's really what got me. Like the signs, I was like, oh my god, that's it.
Speaker 1: I'm out. I felt really good shooting that too. Do you remember like when we did that going down the halls and.
Speaker 2: It's really fun. Yeah, And like the kisses, they're all really cute.
Speaker 1: It really felt real in a lot of ways. It was. It was it's like when you do get to the end of school school year and like your class schedule is different, and so it feels different in those halls. You know. That's how it felt because it was such a different environment from how like these characters normally operate within those halls. Right, it just felt like that that you naturally wanted to celebrate.
Speaker 2: It also felt like a he was like tying up loose sentence kind of thing. He felt very like, oh, Eric did such a beautiful job with that, like really just putting a pin on, Like it was just really good.
Speaker 1: It's been three years of these students not winning, three years of them getting close and just constantly being the underdog, and then when they finally do, it felt like the proper celebration. Yeah, of that. The weird thing was let's talk about it. Oh the pamphlet. As much as I love Emma and her pamphlets and her pamphlets, I was like, why is this in her cut with the students celebrating like their teachers getting it on and it wasn't that important? It felt so weird of like you deserved it because wasn't that important? Why She's like, can we do that in the separate thing? Does that need to be tied to this? I don't know why it made me so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: It made me uncomfortable too. I think you made a lot of feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: But maybe that tell us.
Speaker 2: Yeah us, I don't know, Well, it brings us to mister Shoe. Yeah, mister Shoe finally getting credit where it's due.
Speaker 1: This is a poem.
Speaker 2: This is the Teacher of the Year award, which I don't know that we've ever had before either. And so you thinks she's getting it, or she knows she's not getting it, but she's leading mister Shoode to believe that he's not going to get it and that she's gonna get it. This is very sweet. It's so sweet, mister getting Teacher of the year. Did we shoot I have a question for you. Did we shoot that behind the curtain at the Cows State Day.
Speaker 1: As opposed to at McKinley. I don't know. I don't think they would have done that.
Speaker 2: But we're in the same outfits here, Yeah, we're in our competition outfits, which we all had to get to again because Leah's hair was different. I'm pretty sure to ask if she thought we shot that on the same day as our performances, But it's not because we shot our performances on location and we had to get back in. But Lea's hair is very different. It's much curlier, and there's any.
Speaker 1: Extra time to film extra things.
Speaker 2: Except for that behind the curtain, which I thought maybe, but then I don't think that's right. Maybe my memory is just playing tricks on me. Anyway, make them hair did a really good job of continuity because we looked exactly the same except Rely's hair.
Speaker 1: Are you saying Leah's hair is different behind the curtain? That is in front of the curtain. Just the competition itself, competition to teacher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, mister Shue gets Teacher of the Year ord.
Speaker 1: It's very cute, you know. Leah doing her like almost gets me. It's very good.
Speaker 2: Well, it's because she was very emotional about like the end of the show and so I think or the end of this part of this chapter of the show, and you could tell she was actually probably trying not to cry even more because it as a character. You're like, we don't need her bawling. She probably would have, but it gets me too, It always gets me. And Corey just not crying and being his kind of approach was also is very powerful, and they that's why they make such a good team.
Speaker 1: It's really sweet. I think it's sweet. I think it's sweet. Do you remember filming this, Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: Also very quick, also very quick, mister Saltz. I think we did it twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was remarkably fast. Yes, yes, which makes sense. It goes along with that we did shoot things out of order. I mean we usually did. It was just what saves the most time money exactly. But I'm glad he wanted to tear word.
Speaker 2: Looks and sue and even the sue like giving him, like the reaction was just really sweet.
Speaker 1: Sweet, and it was just again, it was just nice to see everybody winning. It was nice to see the good guys and our show finally get there due across the board, everybody could win together. It was so nice, just.
Speaker 2: Will the whole episode like feeling like what if we don't win, and the fear of it all, like yeah, we're raising the stakes.
Speaker 1: It felt like quintessentially it really it was just joyous and funny and celebratory of these underdogs and like it it was a great episode. Yeah, And I think I would like to hear from people too, like if you were watching this, whether you're you know streaming it now or you're watching and it was on, like, how did it feel to finally get to this and this is what happened? And also it wasn't the season finale. It feels like a season finale. It certainly does. There's more Game of Throne style where an olden episode had the crazies stuff happening. Oh my god, that episode. Should we rate these performances? Okay, let's glory, Jenna, Okay, give it a.
Speaker 2: Okay, A plus I'm coming back to me now, A plus paradise, paradise. I also give it a name.
Speaker 1: Day whatever that was? Hey, yeah, wait, I can't get past starship. The lyric change higher than any other of any other I couldn't get. That's why I think I fast forward. Also, I don't know why, but the music in this episode was mixed so interestingly, where the leads were so hot and the backgrounds are so low that all you hear is just higher than any other, literally higher than any other vocal or instrument, like it was. That's right, Alex something, I mean, I get the performance of B.
Speaker 3: Plus B plus just because right tongue tighty A plus plus the sex plus your your vocal including your vocals.
Speaker 2: We are the champions. It was really sweet, a for effort and emotional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, let's.
Speaker 2: Do some Tardi takes. The cringe moments, I think the teacher giving talking about her intervention episode, coming out and her addiction to pain killers. I was like, wrong time, wrong place, wrong.
Speaker 1: Right. I mean Alex's split lift. The split split lift was stupid. It's so good. Best song. I'm gonna go with Paradise just because it encapsulates everything. Okay, it's a weird song, but the performance, I think, okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that's a tough line between the performance versus song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the prop I mean that big ass trophy of course, and a personal one that the popcorn best lines.
Speaker 2: When it's to hear cringe moment it Fall's response is go softly into that street.
Speaker 1: It's all so good. He is so good. There's a couple of lines and scenes in an episode and he just makes me a lot. It's so good.
Speaker 2: Also, Jesse saying most people don't realize they lost ten pounds during and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, justice for cackle. He I will saying I just don't want everything we work for to collapse because of one bad Brido. It's also like conscious to me, it's so silly accurate. It doesn't take much to bring us down. Performance MVP. Oh man, this is a good one. Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I have to say we never give Jane m VP, but she's always just so solid that sometimes I think it gets overlooked. Sure, but I give her honorable mention in this episode. Mm hmm, I think I think.
Speaker 1: It's a Leah Cory. Yeah, I think it's Ally and Corey agreed. Okay, you really sold this whole episode. Totally dip to Eric Stoltz because he directed a beast of an episode. Oh you know what, You're right, just clap it out forts And also behind the scenes another behind the scenes anible mentioned to Megan Doyle for she knows what she had to do. We'll leave it at that. If she's listening, you really did, okay, Jenna. So, because the oscars are recently, we have two ship we found on tiktoks this week that are related. So first up, we have our girl, kig Lee b Okay, proving that the Glee cast collectively has egots because and she goes through it all. You have Darren and Jane with Emmy's you have Phineas and graph with Grammys, and Phineas with now two Oscars. Congrats Phineas and Billy, and truly we have ours, truly Witz Alex nowle Alie Stroker with Tony Winz Jenna has two and so collectively Glee is egotted, Damn Gina. It's good. Isn't that amazing? Oh? I love that? Yeah, I love that. I mean also like Adina mph Gwyneth Christen, they also have Damn Awards, but for the people who were on the show more often, you know, like Glee club members. Yeah, yeah, that's right. Like, there we go, and our next one is this by our good friends at the Gleek of the Week pod, This wonderful Glee as Best Picture nominees. It goes through. It's phenomenal. It's so good for Barbie, it's you know, Leah saying it tastes like pink, Oh my gosh, so good.
Speaker 2: All the nominations are linked up with a scene or a line from Glee.
Speaker 1: Perfect. It's phenomenal work like this is a movie within itself. Yeah, win an award. It's one of my favorite tiktoks I've ever seen. Oh I love it. It's phenomenal. The Zone of Interest one dark but yeah, great work. I love this. I love this so much. It tastes like bank Anatomy of a Fall was crazy also, but that is our should. We found on tiktoks this week. You need to go look them up if you have not seen them, because they are phenomenal. Jen and I love this episode. Love this episode. And next week we have Goodbye. It's graduation from most of the Gleek Club. So see you next time. And that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.