Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers. Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the smiley face in the margin of your puzzle report card. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and today's guests are legends in the world of puzzles. They are Lisa Spira, David Spira, and pg Law. Three guests a record for the Puzzler. They are the experts of all experts on escape rooms. They founded Room Escape Artist, which is a website that runs funny and useful reviews and news about escape rooms, and they also have a podcast, the Reality Escape Pod, which Greg and I were recent guests on.
Speaker 2: Welcome everybody, Thank you for having us, Thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: There you go. We'll figure out later. Who's who? But to start? David and Lie's I interviewed you for the Puzzler book and at that point you had done about nine hundred escape rooms. It's been a couple of years. What's your number? What are you up to.
Speaker 3: At this point, we've done more than eleven hundred. In fact, I think we're approaching twelve hundred.
Speaker 2: We are, but we've slowed down since you had first met us. Now we're spending a lot more time running the website, running our convention, producing the podcast, we play a little bit.
Speaker 3: Less and we're choosy.
Speaker 1: Got it all right? But you still you've broke a thousand though, so that's important. We're going to get more into in a later episode. We're going to dive a little deeper into escape rooms and the weirdness and delight that they are. But if you had to pick out of those eleven hundred, is there one that is just the weirdest, most mind blowing one you've been or just weirdest doesn't have to be mind blowing.
Speaker 3: I can give an answer for weird and mind blowing. There's a game called The Dome in the Netherlands where you feel like you're in a hallucination and you have no idea what might happen next, and it's it's phenomenal and so impressive. Every time something new happens, it's weird.
Speaker 1: So are you still in the Dome? Perhaps? Do you think that like, if you haven't stopped hallucinating, maybe we never left. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. That's my theory. And David and Lisa, I know that you are married. Did you get married in an escape room?
Speaker 2: We did not get married in an escape room. I did begin my proposal in an escape room with a ring box that did not have a ring in it. It had a scroll with a puzzle on it. That was the beginning of a trail of puzzles that resulted in a custom puzzle box that had a ring.
Speaker 3: And in the end I had a ring and a puzzle box, which is my mass And.
Speaker 1: Did you were what if you didn't solve it, you wouldn't be married? Now? Is that the idea?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right, well, thank god you're a good solver. All right, So we'll talk more about escape rooms in another episode, but today we want to give you some puzzles from our audio escape room, and our chief puzzle Officer, Greg Pliska has come up from the puzzle Lab to deliver one. Hello Greg, I'm glad to be up from the muzzle lab.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me. I wanted before I get into the puzzles to also ask PG a little bit about the podcast, since she's more involved in that end than in the escape room website. So PG tell us a little bit about the podcast.
Speaker 3: Thanks Greg.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I co host the Reality Escape Pod with David and David is a big fan of Survivor and I was actually on Survivor twice and Survivor I've always called it like the world's best immersive game ever, and so on the podcast we talk about we interview different creators from puzzle hunts, escape rooms, LARPs, anything that has to do with immersive gaming. We talked to all of them.
Speaker 1: Like Survivor is the opposite of escape Room. You're trying not to escape, you want to stay there.
Speaker 5: That's that's fair enough, that's fair enough.
Speaker 4: Well, I promise the puzzle today will be less hallucinatory than the dome and less gruelings.
Speaker 2: And we hold you to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, I promise. Now, this game is all about palindromes, which, of course you know what they are things that are the same forwards and backwards. And these are going to be kind of fanciful words or phrases. Uh. My example that I always go to is the clue is this feline is fond of Mexican food, and that, of course is a cat taco cat exactly pg. So these I'm going to give similar clues for these fanciful two word phrases with one twist. Each of these will be themed around you guys and the podcast. Okay, all right, so here's your first one, and anybody you know, if you've got an answer, you can jump in and tell us. Which thinking. Uh, this is a nickname for one of the podcast hosts, especially when he sings opera.
Speaker 2: Well, he is going to be me so.
Speaker 4: Very good. That's okay, jumped over the first hur Yes, so you know it's David, nickname.
Speaker 5: For me, a nickname for the podcast host, especially when he sings opera.
Speaker 3: So won't be Aria for opera. That's a good word to.
Speaker 4: Good thinking, good thinking.
Speaker 5: I got to write this down because it is visualizing.
Speaker 4: I will say that almost all of these are just two words, so these aren't going to be huge long you know, a manic plan, a canal, panama, palindromes. These are shorter spy aias.
Speaker 2: No, that doesn't have the P.
Speaker 4: Nope, nope. It doesn't use your surnames.
Speaker 1: Just your first name. They're too smart. I think they're too smart. That's there you're going, and beyond.
Speaker 4: It's just.
Speaker 3: Oh, diva diva, David.
Speaker 4: Nice diva, David exactly.
Speaker 2: That was my nickname in high school.
Speaker 4: You got it. See, I'm here from your past. This is actually an episode of This Is Your Life?
Speaker 5: Where do you see what You're never living this down. This is what I'm calling you on the podcast from now on.
Speaker 4: All right, here's your second one. Your podcast is very cool, but this would be an even more cool version of it.
Speaker 5: Okay, our podcast. So I'm assuming he's going to use repod and not the entire full out name, which is Reality Escape Pod.
Speaker 3: It's very low and repod starts ore. So this ends in R for cooler repod.
Speaker 4: Do good thinking, Lisa, Doper repod exactly, very good.
Speaker 3: We're going to use that too.
Speaker 4: The repod is dope enough, but this is the Doper repod. All right. This is one possible response to the question, David, what leafy green seasoning should I pick up at the store?
Speaker 5: Leafy green seasoning? So it could be like salad trussing or olive oil.
Speaker 3: Or like parsley, like a seasoning that is leafy.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking. Is parsley or basil or something like that.
Speaker 3: Oh, basil is like me?
Speaker 4: And who is responding to this?
Speaker 3: Well, my letters, Lisa are go.
Speaker 4: Ahead, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: So you have something right there?
Speaker 4: So David, what leafy green seasoning should I pick up at the store? And he would say Basil.
Speaker 3: Lisa, No, but there's a bee.
Speaker 4: You got to flip it the other way, Basil, Basil, there you go, exactly, well played.
Speaker 5: I'm cheating a little bit because when when Lisa said Basil, Greg's AJ's face just lit up.
Speaker 1: It's I am here.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's okay. We're allowed that our faces are clues the hints.
Speaker 5: It's AJ's face is the hint system.
Speaker 1: I am an affordance. I like it. Say you learn something in this podcast.
Speaker 4: You thought a was for Arnold, it's not. It's for affordance. All right, let me give you a couple more. This is an escape experience in Southern Spain.
Speaker 2: Escape experience in Southern Spain.
Speaker 4: Interesting that has an Othello theme.
Speaker 3: And Othello theme.
Speaker 5: That's the My English team is going to be the game of th Yeah. Yeah, my English lit teacher is going to be really disappointed because I cannot remember what city it is set in.
Speaker 4: Don't need the city. It's a it's it's clue on the group of people to whom Othello belongs that were prominent in Southern Spain, among other regions of the levantoms. Yeah, the Moore's Room or the more Room exactly. I actually thought there probably would be one.
Speaker 2: Took me a moment to uh bring back some Shakespeare knowledge.
Speaker 4: All right, let me give I got another one for you. This is one of your podcast hosts primary care physicians.
Speaker 5: Doctor okay, pg's doctor, doctor, Oh, you're so close?
Speaker 4: Or doctor pg's GP, pg's GP exactly, you know. And it's only so many ways you can anagram PG, and that seemed to be the easiest one.
Speaker 2: Respect for finding that anagram.
Speaker 4: I think that's great. I think I've got I'll save one more of these for extra credit.
Speaker 1: Love it. You did fantastic as expected. You escaped our room, I think is that fair to say, Greg?
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, it was a good team effort too.
Speaker 1: And it's very appropriate, at least for me because I happen to be streaming Napoleon the movie. I'm about an hour in, and I'm sure there's going to be a line able was I ere I saw elbow at the end or maybe not? But it's it's weird because he speaks French Napoleon, so I'm not sure. So weird is that I'm not sure he would ever have said abel was I or I saw alba, which is a palindrome supposedly uttered by Napoleon when he was sentenced to Elba. All right, Greg, you mentioned you have an extra credit for the puzzlers at home.
Speaker 4: I do. I actually have two extra credits, one slightly easier and then one harder, so I'm going to give both of them. So the one I think is slightly easier is escape from one of the hosts of repod Love that one there for our listeners. And then this is the trickier one. This requires you to really know who these people are, and it is the suitable response to the question what's that damage to your shirt? Law?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm working on them. I have not solved them, but I guess I have a whole day.
Speaker 5: Good luck. I'm ready to be stocked.
Speaker 1: You'll get the answer next episode, as will I and puzzlers. Please don't forget to subscribe, and if you like the show, tell a friend and we will see here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 4: Hello puzzlers. Greg Pliska here with the extra credit answer from our previous episode. AJ and I played a game I called Untied States, in which each answer was the anagram of a state, or rather each clue ended with an anagram that gave you the name of a state. But for your extra credit, I did flip it around. I gave you this clue. During the colonial era, Massachusetts had a grape growing industry they wanted to keep secret from the British. This meant that along the coast there were many hidden blank blank. If you take the letters of Massachusetts and mixed them up, you get muscat stashes. Along the coast, there were many hidden muscat stashes. I hope you enjoyed a little glass of muscat while you solve that, and we'll see you here next time on the Puzzler.