Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make an.
Speaker 2: A decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host, Rashwan MacDonald.
Speaker 1: Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe the size of your AHA, It's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own keep winning. My next guest is a perfect example of leading with her gifts, understanding the purpose, and accomplishing her dreams because she lives them every day. Her name is Shirley raft In the Word winning actress, singer, producer, author, and philanthropist. Sureley's renowned entertainment career on screen and stage spans over a three decks aids in the ever changing entertainment landscape. Shirl's career has spanned a range of comedy, drama, TV, famme and theater. She's starting currently in a new comedy series, very very funny comedy series Calls Abbot Elementary airs on ABC on Tuesday nights at nine pm. And also I saw the three episodes on Hulu, so you can catch on ABC dot Com or Hulu. I saw him on Hulu all three episodes. Fantastic. But she plays the character Barbara, a long time and respected Philadelphia Kidneycarten teacher, and it's amazing and very very relatable. By the way, and while working in front of the camera, she keeps her life busy. She's also a passionate health advocate and honored AIDS advocate. She is the founding director of Diva. Please welcome to Money Making Conversations Masterclass. The incredible, incredibly accomplished. Shirley Raff. How you doing, Cheryl?
Speaker 3: I'm doing.
Speaker 1: What should I say, Miss Rapp? What should I say, Miss Ralph?
Speaker 4: Because you can say goddess.
Speaker 1: Because you look like a goddess. You look like a diva. You have an amazing career. I recently saw this interview it was on YouTube which we was talking about Sidney Poitier.
Speaker 4: You know it's so interesting. Well, first of all, you gave me, you took a few years off of my career, which I'm sure is a wonderful thing, except for the fact that it's been close to forty five years.
Speaker 3: My very first job.
Speaker 4: I was nineteen years old, fresh at college, and Sidney Quatier gave me my very first job in a film called A Piece of the Action, which was the last of a trilogy of.
Speaker 3: Films that he did.
Speaker 4: Me absolutely, and I played a bad young girl, Barbara hanleyper.
Speaker 3: It's so funny because Barbara Hanley.
Speaker 4: I've been hearing people say that's why Barbara Howard is such a great teacher, because she.
Speaker 3: Was Barbara Hanley.
Speaker 4: So I just love the fact that people are able, you know, through all of these generations, are able to put it together full circle like that, and that The start for me was mister Potier, who stayed in touch with me for most of my career. The last time I spoke with him, I had just gotten cast in a series called Instant.
Speaker 1: Mom Y Tamari right, Tamori.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, And he was so wonderful and he told me how proud he was of me and that I didn't let him down, and it was a great, great conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, the interesting thing about your character, because you know, I've been a sitcom writer and so I've been fortunate to you know, create lines or saraph and Johnson, who was Sarahani.
Speaker 4: You know, sarap Phony is one of the greats Sarah is another one of those people who you know, she was one of the creators of Moesha. And from generation to generation people know Sarah from.
Speaker 3: The Quad, they know her from you know, so many things, and right now she's on Queen Sugar.
Speaker 4: But there have been so many series that Sarah Finney has had a major hand in quite literally.
Speaker 1: Well you know, you you've had your hands in several levels. You know. We can all go back to Dreamgirls, and I remember what I was doing the Steve My first income was Steve Harvey's and me and the boys and all we could do. And that was in nineteen ninety four. And all they kept saying, we got to get Shirley Raff on it because she's the one, She's the one. We got to have a messal because he needed a love interest our first because our first love interest was Wendy Rickare Robinson. He said, yes, he's good, but we gotta get Shirley Raff. And I remember it was just a push in the writer's room, and all the executive producers, all the ABC networks said, she's the one and you've always had that. She's the one tone from the industry and it comes from not only relationships, but doing the job and being a professional. And a lot of people misstep that because of the fact that you can only I think, have a long career when people have worked with you and want to work with you again. Talk about longevity and relationships.
Speaker 3: I think you just put your voice on it.
Speaker 4: Who knows you, who likes you, who wants to work with you, who wants to work with you again.
Speaker 3: I just came back from Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: You know, I commute my husband, Senator Hughes of Pennsylvania. He and I, well, I do the commuting. But we were laughing because a friend of mine has a new series, Sean McBride. Shy and I did a movie together called Distinguished Gentleman.
Speaker 3: Absolutely Murphy, Absolutely Yeah. And then Shy and I have you know, on and off, you know, in Touch.
Speaker 4: He got his new sitcom and he said, I got to get shry.
Speaker 3: Lee Rout and I can't.
Speaker 4: I was on the plane and they were like, Shi has asked me if you do this show with him, and you know it's small, But I'm just like when your friends and people call you because they've got to have you, the least you can say is okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, I never to tell everybody I've been in the room when they've been demanding and asking for this young lady, this diva, this goddess. And over the years I've seen her, you know, and I guess what. She came on the set and she delivered. But here's the thing about it is that she delivered with humbleness, professionalism. There's a certain way you come on because I've been fortunate to be around a lot of stars, and some stars I don't want to be around, okay, and some talent that aren't stars I don't want to be around. Okay, we don't even get in that because she knows what I'm talking about. And so, but the problem that the issue is always delivering. If because we are working under a stress situation, you know, we have to deliver. We're doing lines, we have to make sure the lin reach right. You have to write a character, you have to come in and we're all hoping in praying that this series gets renewed. People watching the series and get the ratings. There's so many things that go into creating the project. Then you have to put it out there and see if the geral public likes it. And then you have to have a talent like Shirley Raff who wants to promote it. See see if she.
Speaker 4: Doesn't want to saying you see, that's why you're doing this show about money making because promotion, promotion, promotion. You can have the most incredible idea script series out there, but if nobody knows it's there, it means absolutely nothing. You know, I shoot two series. I shoot Abviod Elementary, and I shoot a series called Motherland Fort Salem, which is an outstanding series on the Spree form. Absolutely I don't I got you, I got about you.
Speaker 1: I got you. Okay, I got you because Demetria she's that's.
Speaker 4: Exactly right, and people should see Demetria.
Speaker 3: People should see the show.
Speaker 4: When you've got a woman like me as the forty fifth, the forty fifth president of the United States in an alternative world where the future is truly feminine, they should see it.
Speaker 3: But they don't see it because of a lack of promotion.
Speaker 4: But Abviod Elementary, Abbod elementary is pouring the sauce, stated on Nymorrow.
Speaker 1: You hear me.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh.
Speaker 4: When we were shooting this show in secret, people were like, molte up, wait a minute.
Speaker 3: That that little girl from what Black Lady Sketch show? No, no, no, that little woman.
Speaker 4: From BuzzFeed, the Q Lady that I call her the true Queen Bee.
Speaker 3: Oh, we need to know about this. It has been amazing. It is amazing.
Speaker 1: You know, thing't think about it because before the show came on my radar, you know, it hit buzz And then my staff I said we shouldn't have you saw emplementary. I said, no, I have seen Raell. You got to see it. It's funny. This is funny. This is really really funny. And so and then I saw an article on her. Because I live in two city. I live in Atlanta, I live in Houston. I always read the Houston newspaper and I just saw an article on the creator and the lead in and I was just reading about her, and I go okay. And then they said, oh, you know, Shirley Raft scheduled to do your show. I go okay, I gotta watch it because what I don't do, Shiryl I do not interview people on that, you know, just read your bio and ask your in their questions. I hate that. I hate that. So I'm sitting on my sofa yesterday and I saw episode one, I saw episode two, I saw episode three, and I the principle.
Speaker 3: James.
Speaker 4: Now James, I think is a bright talent that she has not acted before.
Speaker 3: This is her a show like this, and she is killing it.
Speaker 1: Killing it you. And and here's the thing about it is set in Philadelphia as a kindergarten citty, you know.
Speaker 3: Like it's a primary.
Speaker 1: Primary school center and so and so when we say that means that it's a public school, correct, because they are. They're struggling for funds, they're struggling to kids supplies, they're struggling to deliver adequate and correct education to these young kids. And and it is a black population of kids to attending school, which is typical for a public school. And her character, Barber is the seasoned teacher. I would say, you always have these shows where you have to have somebody who's extreme, and that's uh, that's the white character. She's extreme because you don't know if she because she has a line and she said, you know, I can make more money on the streets, and you don't know what that means. You go, is that drugs? Is that prostitution? What is she talking about?
Speaker 4: And that's played by Lisa and Walter and is really amazing and wonderful as well.
Speaker 1: And you feel the reality of a character, you feel the comedic frustration of all these characters that are put together. And I think that's what it all happens when we talk about this series Abbott Elementary. You do a table read, surel and a table reader to tell everybody's like you know, they bring everybody in the cast, the producers there, sometimes network is there, of course, the person who wrote the script and other writers and then the cast sits around the table and they read the script. Okay in seats. That's when you really get a sign a sense. So if something's flat or something works, they will expand on it. You add to it all that, We'll fix that, We'll fix that, We'll fix that. How is it that table read? When you set down for this series.
Speaker 5: The pilot, Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more money making conversations now, class, Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Hosted by Rashan MacDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 4: I honestly have to tell you that sitting there listening to the show, I really knew that I was onto something very special. When we were doing dream Girls back in the day and we would stand in the wings and listen to Jennifer Holidays sing, I knew we were onto something special. When I met Brandy doing Moesha and this young girl came on in all of her braides and just being herself, I knew we were onto something special. That table read with ABD Elementary I was doing.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: First of all, I felt you were you were two of my teachers in high school. That's that's Lenda Trailer, she's my biology teacher, and as Georgia Nelson that she was my math teacher. You know, they were both people who focused me. Who who who allowed me to sit here in this chair today because of those two teachers. So I felt your character Barble was very relatable from that step because because I needed that, I needed that person that Okay, you stop stop all this silliness. This is who you are and that's what your character is, defines this role in there and the beauty of this series and everybody. It's kind of like shot like it's a docuseriies. In other words, if it makes it seem like a documentary team is following them around. Cool. So you get a lot of action towards the camera and then a lot of did I say that in front of the camera, and so so and so so that also plays into another a fourth wall and you are the fourth wall that they're talking to. And that really makes for an original concept for us to review this sitcom because I'm pretty sure it's a single camera they're shooting. It's not a multi camera, single camera no we have.
Speaker 4: It's amazing because what Quinta has developed here is something.
Speaker 3: Literally brand new.
Speaker 4: Okay, well maybe it's not brand new, but it's it's very different because when we're working, we have a whole ballet going on with the cameras.
Speaker 3: They they're never still. They're they're not on you know, not rack and roll.
Speaker 4: They're sort of scooters with wheels and everything.
Speaker 3: So they're there. It's almost like a dance, right that.
Speaker 4: They're doing each other to make sure that they catch everything.
Speaker 3: There are some things that they have caught and I was like.
Speaker 4: I know they didn't just catch that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: And sometimes I see the show and I'm like, oh my god, they're like watching everything.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's like that, and it's been it's been great to be a part of something brand new. And I say this a lot, but Quina Brunson, when I look at Quinta Brunsen, I feel the way I believe Maya Angelou.
Speaker 3: Felt when she looked at me.
Speaker 4: Maya Angelou looked at me and said, one day, when I hear you speak ry Lee Ralph, I know it was all worth it. And I felt so oh my god. It just made me feel so good. And now when I look at Quinta and here she is, writing, creating, producing this show, I look at her and I've been through it with this industry, and I feel it was all worth it, and I'm just so proud of her.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and you should be. You know, her background, her mom was a teacher. The Quinta that's the star of the show and the creator, and so that so she's she's she's gaining information from a lifestyle that she grew up around. And then it still goes back to the characters that you know, the whether it's the janitor, whether it's the sub teacher.
Speaker 4: William Stanford janitor, and he is funny because he's always in the room and then he says something crazy and you're like, I forgot he was right there.
Speaker 1: Oh he knows y'all. When y'all in the break room, he can say whatever, y'all not listening, I'm going fishing. I'm going fishing. Nobody goes what did he say? But exactly, well, you know that. It's just the fun part about it. I'm speaking to Shirley Ralph Credible. Shirley Ralph I on one show.
Speaker 6: We all know her history and television stage director author, uh, but this show that she's starting in Abbot Elementary, which airs on ABC on Tuesdays.
Speaker 1: If you miss it, go to ABC dot Com, go to Hulu. I called it on Hulu. It's an amazing show from a docu series style. Because the cameras they they are there. Sometimes they go ooh, I didn't know what the cameras were there. I didn't really mean to say that. You're gonna cut that right and then so and so it captures a lifestyle. It's a very modern approach to school. The principal. The school principal, she actually has a green screen studio in her in her office. And so that's why I really loved about it. It felt so modern, but it didn't feel forced. And I think that I think that that's important that people hear that, because I had a friend of mine that were saying that they were working on a project, a sitcom project, and they said that the executive came back and said, well, it feels kind of dated, it feels like a feels like a traditional sitcom. Well, this is not a traditional sitcom. And I'm just gonna let you know that it's a very innovative. It's very it's very modern, it's very sensitive. It also has those dramatic moments which I like in brilliant sitcoms, where you know, we can laugh through the pain, but then we got the message of the pain.
Speaker 3: Talk about that, thank you. You know, it's so interesting.
Speaker 4: When I first saw the script, I loved the character of the principle and I said to Quin to give me a shot at the principal, and she said, no, absolutely not. We need a queen from Missus Howard, and that's you.
Speaker 1: Yes, and she.
Speaker 4: Has given me the wonderful task of doing exactly what you just said.
Speaker 3: I delivered the heart and the message of the show.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really interesting you say that, because you know, if you you know a slice of my life. And I grew up in the hood, and I grew up a six sisters, two brothers, two bedroom shotgun house. That was me. So I go through high school and I'm going to tell you it wasn't to college that I actually used a fork knife. You know. So when I would eat, and when I eat, my friends would go, why you eat everything with a spoon? Well, that's all I had at the house was a spoon, and so I would cut my meat with a spoon. I would they go, dude, there's a knife and a frot there. Well, guess what I didn't know. I didn't have it, so guess what I was. I was cool with it, And then of course I realized, Okay, there are others that you can use. Did you use But that's exactly what you're saying. If you don't know, then you're comfortable with Guess what. It didn't hurt my growth. It didn't stump my growth. It was just something I didn't know was available to me. But it didn't stop me from being successful. And that's what I take away from that line. When I saw that moment, it was just a flashback to my life when I was just in college cutting everything with a spoon. I was eating with a spoon, and when I when I went through the line, I just grabbed a spoon and because you know, they got a knife and fok over, I go, okay, no, biggie, I'm cool.
Speaker 3: But wonderful point.
Speaker 4: The wonderful point to this is that you were raised in a home that made you feel good about what you had.
Speaker 3: You did not feel.
Speaker 4: Less than yes, And I love the fact that we were able to say that out loud. You should not be made to feel less than because you don't have as much as others. You know, I tell you, I'm a plane ordinary middle class child of the sixties kid.
Speaker 3: And I always thought I was rich, always thought I was rich.
Speaker 1: I grew up and.
Speaker 3: Found out I was rich right now.
Speaker 4: Parents made me feel good about what I had and where I was in life. And just like you, it did not stop me from reaching for my dreams.
Speaker 3: It did not deter me from being becoming who it was. I am still becoming.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about you being an eight A actor before I close out, because I think it's important. Part of who you are. I've seen what you've done over the years is you've been front and center, and I think that's important that people know that. You know, you want to you know, like I see how recently Betty White passed away and they honored her on one hundredth birthday by because he's an advocate for pets, you know, animals, so and I'm not comparing her activism for AGE to pets. I'm just saying that people are more than what you see they are. They do more behind the scenes and sometimes just because they are public figures, you're entertained. That's all we care about. That's all we want to know. You've been an activist in age. Talk about why that was so. You've been honored the United Nations, You've been honored the Jamaica. You know, you have been an international advocate. Talk about why that has been so important to you.
Speaker 4: As an original company member of dream Girls, the musical, the original on Broadway, you know, we lost one third of our company to AIDS, not HIV to AIDS, and nobody said anything about that loss, And somehow it stuck with me and I said, no, we have to do better. We have to acknowledge these talented, amazing, beautiful men that we have lost, and a few women too, but not in our company.
Speaker 3: But that's how I got involved. And it's so hard for.
Speaker 4: Me now after everything I learned about the HIV virus. That tell me a lot about human behavior. People are hard headed. Yes, people do not believe the truth even when it is told to them. People enjoy lives. When they say ignorance is not bliss, it is only a saying as a warning.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: When it came to HIV, we knew that condoms were a known barrier to the disease.
Speaker 3: Could we get people to wear condoms?
Speaker 4: Could we get women to carry condoms and protect themselves? No, it doesn't feel good, it doesn't fit HIV get tested?
Speaker 3: Could we get people to get tested? And if they did get tested, they would.
Speaker 4: Only go in for their first test and would not come back for their results. People who know or knew that they were positive for HIV back in the day did not tell anybody and.
Speaker 3: Then act like it's a lie.
Speaker 4: Yes, HIV did not have to become a black woman in the South burden, but it is. People are hard headed, they don't want to listen to the truth, and they want to make up all kind of stories around these things, talking about why should people why should the government be telling me what to do? Well, here's here's some things that you don't have to do. Please, do not get a driver's license. Get out there and drive without your license. See what happens when they find you driving without a license. Please, if you're in a state where they charge you income tax, don't pay your taxes.
Speaker 3: Just don't pay your taxes, because when.
Speaker 4: The IRS finds you, you're going to see what happens when people tell you some of the things that you have to do. And by the way, we vaccinate our children for a lot of diseases so that they can go to school, so that other children don't get sick. I suggest you try not vaccinating your child for anything, because that child will not.
Speaker 3: Be going to school anywhere. So those are just a few of the things that the government tells you you must do. What you're going to do, that's what I need to know what you're going to do, because see.
Speaker 4: I need you to survive and I need you to fight for our dog on right to vote, because if you want to make some money, you need to be able to vote and tell people where to spend the money that they have got for you that you don't know about because you're not part of this, you're not voting.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, don't get misstarted. That's my life.
Speaker 1: Well, I will tell you this. That little porster right there will be clipped and put on my social media because that's the part of it life. That's Shirley Raft. I know that's surely if I've seen, that's the part that you're hearing this interview. She's a water win actress, singer, producer, author, philanthropist. She's a goddess. She's a diva. More importantly, on Tuesdays, Hulu, ABC dot Com, watch a very funny series, Abbot Elementary. It stars in Arizon ABC, but it got so many great outlets that you can see. It's a brilliant comedy set in Philadelphia primary school. You, my friend, are outstanding. You still look amazing. Thank you for taking the time to Money Made Conversation Masterclass. Shirley Raft. I'm your host Sean McDonald, Thank you.
Speaker 5: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts