Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 3: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how shape this into the people we are today.
Speaker 4: Who are ready for an episode with no filler today, welcome to how did we get weird?
Speaker 2: So Jonah, I.
Speaker 4: Know we're very excited for our guest today. And when we were kids, you went to one of his concerts and got me a pretty awesome piece of merch.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that I do.
Speaker 3: This is the only time you've ever asked me for a T shirt from a concert I went to. This is in high school, and I believe this is Bryan's first, maybe one of his first tours with Bad Religion. This was on the Gray Race tour. Yes, it was at the Agora in Cleveland. I want to say maybe ninety six ish unwritten law opened up ringing a.
Speaker 1: Bell this spring chaw content polls. Yes, I do I know the Agora well, and uh, yeah, that makes sense. You should have said, Hi, I would have given you a discount. I would have been family deal. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would have been way too nervous to say. I still actually feel very nervous. Talk to me Brian. But yeah, Vanessa was like a fan of the record and the Gray Race, and I got her a shirt.
Speaker 1: I believe it was a Ringer shirt which were big.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was a blue I don't know if you remember these, Brian. It was a blue Ringer shirt that said bad religion and yellow letters and then there were like yellow around the edge of the sleeves.
Speaker 1: Right, I do. And that was that was one without the Crossbuster on it. So it could be it, wouldn't you know, for people who aren't really making going to make that jump to that sort of anti Christian icon. They had a way, right, and that's full service. That's what we were about them in ninety.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really made the jump to the Crossbuster because I had the whole tapestry with it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you, we love you Foraul R. Really we were both representing in different ways. But I remember I got quite a few compliments on this shirt and felt very cool in it.
Speaker 1: Oh good, I'm glad. I think I might have one in dead stock up in the attics somewhere, so.
Speaker 4: Wow, I wonder if I still have mine. If not, I'll probably just give you a little text after the show.
Speaker 1: I'll see what I can do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, yeah, let's go ahead and introduced to his guests. If you haven't figured it out, you know, Brian is a guitar player in Bad Religion. He was one of the founding members of Minor Threat. His other projects include basically every notable punk and hardcore band, Dagnasty, Government Issue, The Meat Men, Junkyard, and of course, more recently, Beat Rats and Fake Names.
Speaker 1: Let's give it up for Brian Baker. I probably missed some stuff there, but there's others. But no, you touched on the you know, the highlights and this this interesting.
Speaker 3: Journey, yes, yeah, and you know, speaking of Ringer shirts, like that was an era where like I was wearing a lot of Jinko's wallet chains, ringers. Did you get into that kind of fashion during that time?
Speaker 1: I mean I liked a Ringer just you know, when I'm thinking about a Ringer show, I was like, that's what Brian Wilson wore in the Beach Boys, you know. So it was always a classic look for me. But I was I was in a very experimental phase in the mid nineties with Bad Religion because I I'd come out of a hard rock band and so when I joined the band, I had like shoulder length bleached hair, and then within about six months I have these blue spiky hair and I'm just I'm just re re establishing my punkness, but yet I'm thirty now. It was a very it was confusing, but very exhilarating at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where did you feeld of feel more comfortable? I'd imagine, you know, you came from that obviously minor threat and a discord scene to do. What was it like when you were in Junkyard? What was that aesthetic like for you?
Speaker 1: It wasn't really that different from later Dagnasty and the people in Junkyard were all from punk bands. So we had a guy from the Big Boys and a couple of guys from a band called Decry in California who were, uh, you know, an early and early LA punk band. So it was just a little bit more debaucherous and it was dumber than punk. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a great time. I mean that's you know, I was playing guitar.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, I associate with Vanessa. I don't if you remember this. When I was growing up, I had this set of these like glam metal trading cards, like guilty. Yeah, I can't remember what they were called, but I had all the bands of that era, and you could collect different members and I'm pretty sure the members of Junkyard were in this next to like skid Row and oh well.
Speaker 1: Not only are you sure, but well they were called rock cards and keeping with rock cards with the big brains here, oh rock cards, and there were Junkyard was included in this, in this collection of rock cards. And fortunately for me, maybe fifteen years ago, I found a brick of Junkyard specific rock cards on eBay and I paid maybe ten or fifteen dollars for a thousand cards, and so I've been using them for Christmas presents for friends and family ever since. And oh my gosh, yeah I have I have three. There are three three different scenes that I'm featured genomic cards. So if you are a collector, collector, whoa free Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 4: Cool to that you had your own cards. Yeah, I remember, Jonah, you had those cards. I think around that time, I had a lot of Nino two and O cards where you could get a card with each member of the cast of Nino two and O.
Speaker 1: So those were not.
Speaker 2: As cool, I would say, respect and probably not as valuable.
Speaker 1: Well maybe maybe you and Brian could get a train going or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, n KOTB cards had a few of those too.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you were a card. You're a big card, right.
Speaker 3: I'm curious like when you were a kid, obviously, like you famously kind of started minor three at or join Manu Thret when you're fifteen, or helped start it, and like, were you what were you kind of like as a kid, because obviously you're a very talented musician. Were you like practicing all the time or were you in DC or how did that kind of come together?
Speaker 1: Well, you're you're being you're being very charitable. I was. I mean, I could play an instrument, but it was I was the only child, and so that was really what informed my playing. It was just something to do and I was you know, I read a lot, and my parents didn't like each other, and you know, it's hard to I think it was in a solitary existence. I wouldn't. I didn't want to characterize it in a modern sense because you know, there's pitfalls there. But it was like it was fun. I liked making my own fun and being by myself, and so a lot of these you know, trappings of that era, Like I was a big cartoon person and a and a you know, a snack person and you know, stuff you do in the house by yourself. And then there was a good there was a guitar too. I mean that's really how I look at it. I wasn't trying to be a musician. It was just, you know, there was the guitar.
Speaker 4: And what cartoons and snacks were you kind of checking out at that time.
Speaker 1: I was a I loved carps, so I was a big speed racer guy, which was I don't know if everyone's familiar with that. It was a Japanese basically Japanese manga that there was an anime of this family that had a race team, and you know, I didn't know it was Japanese. It was just weird, right for now what is obviously obviously well, I now, I know. So that was a car one that I was into. And there was a cartoon called Wacky Races that I used to watch too. That was I think it came out in the very late sixties and I was watching it. I was born in sixty five, so you know, every every episode was a race of these like thirty teens made of different, you know, different stereotypes basically, but at the time, it was like, here's the Undertaker and he's driving a tombstone. You know, you're the Cageman. They're they're driving a rock.
Speaker 4: So you're going specifically for car race related I was just content.
Speaker 1: I just I loved the cars, and it was kind of it was a thing. It was a cartoon called speed Buggy, which was like the poor Man Scooby Doo, and it almost was Scooby Doo except for that they drove around in a buggy that was that could talk, and then they solved mysteries with the help of the buggy that they were in. It was also you know, yeah, the sentient. Yeah, it was. It was great. That's so cool.
Speaker 3: I was so into cars as a kid too, I've been I don't know if you remember this, but our mom said that I would just sit behind the wheel of the parked car and just imagine driving for like hours as a kid.
Speaker 1: That's so cute. I didn't know that. I'm guilty of that myself. I did exactly that.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird because when I quickly I'd like to just say that my dad was wonderful to me, but when you hear this, it's insane. One of my best memories is we used to go and share a house on Long Island with another family when I was eight nine years old. This would be our summer vacation. We go for a week and there was this was like in East Hampton basically, and there was a gas station on Montauk Highway where there would be every season there would be like five or six wrecked cars that were lined up on the side of the gas station. And I don't know how this worked out, but my father Bobby obviously had a relationship with a person at the gas station because he would leave me at the gas station to go do whatever dads do in the wrecked cars. And we called it the Crash the Car Place. And I'm sure it was probably only for like forty five minutes or an hour that he would leave me with a man at a gas station to crawl around broken glass and sit behind the wheel of these of these whatever these cars were. And I just loved it, and it was you know, it was not at all abusive, and I did make it through no tetanus. But it's just a while to think about that now you know, liability being what it is. And one of the cars, and I will never forget this was a Mercedes one ninety SL which is a beautiful two door convertible Mercedes they made the late fifties the early sixties, just iconic cars and now one would be worth you know, one, hundreds of thousands of dollars, And this wrecked Mercedes was there every season because we must have gone three or four years in a row and the other cars would change, but the one ninety would stay, big white steering wheel. Crazy. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is incredible and incredible that you would be in a band called junk Yard later when you were kind of hanging out at like a junk yard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then that's where I gained a lot of the experience that I used in Junkyard, being so familiar with the ins and out right right. Yeah, and they still smell the car. It's crazy, there's like a total sense memory. Crazy you. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, I want to ask, as someone who watched a lot of Heathcliff growing up, what would you say that's a pretty accurate representation of a Junkyard.
Speaker 2: Did you ever watch it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I never watched Teeth Cliff. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: It's a bunch of cats and other animals.
Speaker 1: The cat eats garbage, I think basically, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think the cat eats garbage.
Speaker 1: We had the top Cat, which I think predates Heathcliff, which was a number of cats who did. I think that they were ali cats and maybe trash cats. It was kind of like a feline fat Albert. Okay, in a way, it's hard. It's an ensemble cat.
Speaker 2: Interesting. I feel like I kind of.
Speaker 5: Am yeah, top Cat, remembering this a little a lot of Brooklyn accents. Okay, Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 4: Now this is feels sort of like taking a step back from what you just said in terms of cars. But the other thing that Jonah would do is Jonah would buy a lot of posters of cars and have them up in his room. And there's one poster in particular that he bought at the scholastic book sale at TV at at school, and he wouldn't take it out of the plastic because he wanted to protect testerosis.
Speaker 1: So you got I was just going to say the Lamborghini, Yeah it was.
Speaker 3: It was either it was either a Lamborghini, Kootash or Ferrari Testosa.
Speaker 1: Those are kind of the two two well, which which color was red? Yeah, totally. Yes.
Speaker 3: Did you have any posters in your room growing up that you were too scared to take out that you're in grass?
Speaker 1: No? I did not. You sound cooler than me. No, that's not nut. I just didn't. I wish that precious with my stuff. Yeah, I understand, I want I went punk right right junk yard?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well so did you, Johannah. But you just really wanted to protect the value of your.
Speaker 1: I wanted to protect the value of those posters in.
Speaker 2: Case you wanted to resell it one day. Very smart.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, Brent was it?
Speaker 3: And maybe this is just kind of like a scenario made up in my head, like you as a kid would wake up and then go to Hokandas and see Ian and Henry rowing and getting ice cream. Was that kind of like a typical day.
Speaker 1: For you or not really like that? Yeah, we would definitely. Just the things is that are the you know, ground zero for punk when I was fifteen was Georgetown in Washington, d C. Which is just really kind of an upscale, older part of the city. You know, a lot of the buildings were you know, late eighteenth century, and Hoggandaws was actually like the Hogan Dows was in a row house. It's very very very tree and you know still have this the street car tracks and the h and So it was really kind of a fun juxtaposition that these you know, these these private school punks were wandering the mean streets of Georgetown and you know, stopping at Hagendaws to say hello to there, hello to their friends. But we also went to a Roy Rogers. There was a Roy Rogers restaurant if he walks down, and that was a big hangout. The drummer for Iron Cross was basically found a. He was obsessed with getting I think they would give you free buns and then he would use the Fixen's bar and create his own punk sandwich at no charge. He went on to own the black Cat Nightcice, so that shows you he was smart with his money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, wow, Wow, that's it. Yeah, that's very exciting. United Nations. We played our first show ever really at the black Cat.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, Obama's inauguration date in two thousand and eight. Black Cat's awesome. Still there, Ren Rath though, Yeah, very cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're hanging out Roy rogers Hagen dass like, what were some but were you?
Speaker 1: Were you skateboarding? Like what was some other stuff you were kind of I mean I was, I was skateboarding long before I was punk, and I think, well, punk kind of took over in every way, like I mean, for starters, the boots that kind of slowed down in your skate and I think that there was I was kind of I think I was more preoccupied with walking long distances to no specific place, looking kind of sullen and you know, checking my you know.
Speaker 4: Could you talk us through the whole look that you're rocking here? Like the boots I assume are like big kind of combatty boots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there are combaty boots. When I first when I was, when I first went in, my mother was very very my parents were separated at that point, and my mother was very helpful and so and she was also kind of cool. She looked a little like David Bowie and she dressed like and so my first punk outfit was that I had her red hair dog and had kind of the spiky red hair that we had kind of cut our on our own, and I was wearing she had I was wearing her she had some like skinny jeans that had zippers up the back. But they were fashion for you know, ladies, skinny jeans. But but but they worked somehow too.
Speaker 2: It's there's something about being a skinny.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, once and not a lot, but yeah, and uh. And there would be the big combat books that we all got from Sunny Surplus, which was the you know, the surplus store in Georgetown, which is convenient that we could we could stock up there and then and for me, I had I had one. I had a JAM T shirt was the first T shirt that I bought, like a commercial punk shirts at the Jam. But a lot of it was a lot of it was just thrift stores. Or you'd have a white shirt and then you'd write something hey, maybe like with paint. I don't even think it was a sharpie. I think it was just poster paint. Okay, a band name or how you're feeling, you know, or what's what's right right right right? Yeah. And I had a leather jacket, but you kind of went from leather jacket to sort of or or just tattered, you know, twenty year old black suit coat. Okay, that would be that was a big one. Too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, how many you know, because Brian, you have like very cool style and but like you know, I you wear a lot of band shirts. Obviously I have a lot of band shirts. My wife is sort of trying to get me to paar down the band shirts. Yeah, it's kind of a yeah, ongoing thing. Do you ever get rid of them? How many do you think you have?
Speaker 1: Do you do? You? Do you ever wear just like a black shirt or shirt with a stripe or something. Well, you know, it's funny, I said, in my real life, I don't wear a lot of band shirts. You see pictures of me playing, right, and I do like to represent when I play shirt I always wear a Yeah, I'll wear a discharged shirt. Or I went through a phase where I would wear bands that I was in before Bad Religion or you know, like my other band shirts on stage with Bad Religion, because I thought that was being you know, a little wink in a nod. But in retrospect, I'm not a Centroz signals. But you know, I think pairing it down to the real, the real quality is important. I mean, you don't have to you don't have to you know completely, you know, walk off that path.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Joni, you can always send me your shirts because I think we're kind of the same size, because you're a pretty slender guy. And I always love wearing your band shirts, and sometimes I do. I will admit I wear them as kind of a poser because I don't I'm not as familiar with the band as you are.
Speaker 1: But you know, in the interest, I've heard it's not cool to be quizzed about what you're wearing anymore. I think your shirts. Yeah, that's probably true, right, because I feel you're not supposed to do that. That used to happen a lot. Yeah, okay, yeah, really all right, Yeah, tell.
Speaker 4: Me when did you see them? And what's your favorite drummer?
Speaker 1: What's the drummer's mom's name? Right, exactly, Stephanie. To answer your question, John, I've probably got a couple hundred of these okay things from you know, fair Iss years, and I don't I haven't really done anything with them. I have this grand plan that eventually I'm going to have, you know, I'll have some amazing you know, tag saale and then I'll donate it to an animal shelter or make some big deal out of it. But now it's just in uh, you know storage container land right right, right right. I check in once every maybe two years when I'm trying to oh where was that? Where's that? I know that still fits? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What's it like for you? Like listening to these? Because I was in a band? You know, bands is like a teenager fourteen, fifteen, sixteen year old. They weren't the best bands. There's like recordings don't exist of them, no one would want to hear them. Oh no, obviously you were in Minor Threat, which is a band that's still obviously very sol what's it like listening to like fifteen year old Brian playing music as an adult because most people don't ever hear that stuff again, right.
Speaker 1: It's weird, it's right now, it's just gratitude. It's like, wow, what a you know, how nice is that that this is here to listen to for starters and the whole idea of right place, right time, and you know, being this disaffected teenager and going to the same high school with some other people who felt the same way, and we formed this band because that's what we did. There was no expectation, there was no you know, you were trying to do anything other than this was an after school activity basically, and so listening to it, you know, I'm proud of it. I'm very grateful, and you know, some of it's not really great, but that's you know, that's it. At least there's a document of it. So and then this was at a time when people didn't you know, record every single thing that they did right and then shared it with everybody in the world. Yeah, so it's nice that that stuff existing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you were fifteen, do you remember what your band like practices were like, Like, were you because when I was fifteen, I would have been like, let's get some fruit roll ups and like, you know, anyway, it's probably not what things like.
Speaker 1: No, Well, you know what the advantage for me is that I was the youngest guy in the band by a couple of years. And so when I was fifteen in mine when we first started, Ian and Jeff were eighteen. They were out of high school and they were you know, Ian was it was really Ian's vision and he was really motivated to do this band and to get get these songs out. And so I was kind of lucky to be in that tailwind. So we didn't really we took practicing seriously. It wasn't. I mean, it wasn't really a hangout. We wanted to be we wanted to be good. Yeah, and all of our other friends around town were all doing the same thing. Everyone was going you know that it was it would be almost like, well, you know, between four and seven, you don't hear you know, no one's on the street because they're all ruckers there and their parents' basements. You know, so we kind of did take it seriously. It wasn't. The messing around was like the shows was just yeah that yeah, you know, that's that's the social event where you're goofing around and hanging out and where's the bass player? Oh he went to get pizza? Okay, well you know next to us right right right? I noone care, nobody cares.
Speaker 2: That's great, that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so yeah, Vanessa minor Threat weren't sitting around eating for us.
Speaker 2: I apologize that that was I was thinking.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking about that purely about the age, your age at that time, and not about the product you're creating.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, to be fair, if we'd all been my age, there would been no product. It's a lot of fruit roll ups and you know, dang dongs right right right.
Speaker 3: Save that, I thought, Brian, because we were going to take a quick break and we're going to be right back with your topic. And we're back with Brian Baker. So Brian, you give us an incredible segue. So thank you for that. Yes, sure, sure, we were going to talk about snacks today and we wanted to start with Stofer's Frozen Dinners because Stofer's headquarters on if you knew, this is in Cleveland and we would drive past it all the time in soul in Ohio.
Speaker 1: Yes, did not know? Did not know?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: Was it orange? Black and white? Was the building painted like I believe it was not?
Speaker 3: But it was right next to Nesley's headquarters. Nestley apparently owned Stofers, and it was these two kind of white buildings, and I thought it was our corporate offices. But I did some research and I think that's it. I think that's where they make the French red. I think that's where they produce it.
Speaker 1: All. Yeah, wow, well the lucky you do local? I mean, yeah, here, I am growing up in Washington, d C. Right by the you know, the Lincoln Memorial and the Capitol Building, and you've got the stuffs factory.
Speaker 2: So you know, there's pros and cons to where you live, and some were also.
Speaker 1: I would have traded. I would have traded places with you and still young Ma, big young me.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, they had pretty good distribution, so uh, I'm sure you got it out there. Yeah, what were what were some of your favorite.
Speaker 1: Well that was the thing is it's stove. First was my food? Okay, Yeah, I think I mentioned before I had my parents were separated. I was punk. My mother was not. Uh she was wonderful, but she wasn't the high on our priority was not worrying about what I'm doing or whether I'm fence or if I'm home or I mean, this is are you talking to somebody who at fifteen I just went on tour, went on went on tour actually up to Ohio, you know, and it it's like she was. I would say that was a permissive house, okay. And I was a cell feeder and it was Stuffer's and that's what we had in the house. So here I am, I'm fifteen, and it's uh, you know, I'm I'm a big The French Butt pizza, of course, is the core. It's it's the foundation that we build our stuffs ration with. But then there's the you know, the Mac and Cheese has on trip that was huge in the house. Mac and Chee and mom would join in. Sometimes it's not just sad me behind my son, right, you know, and we've sometimes a member of my member of minor threat might stop in for some turkey tetrasine's. Oh my gosh, that's right, because we had plenty. We were Stuffer's people. I I think it's funny that one of my favorites was Welsh rare bit, which was just a cheese sauce Welsh rare. I mean like talk about you know this this anglophilic, you know, punk kid, like do you have Welsh air bit? I'm really it's delicious on toast, like we never even had the toast. It was this is just this bizarro offshoot staffer's side dish that my mom just kept wow. And I didn't even know it was a bag of cheese. It might have been a boiling bag. But of course, you know, duved tailing nice with the stuffers. I believe we owned the first microwave in Washington that was the size of an apartment block. And you know, I'm still probably suffering folks of the tap in you know, micro ranger or whatever it was. And then we were there was the Swedish meat ball, right pre Ikea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people think Ikea made them famous.
Speaker 1: Sorry you right? And Stoers had the decency to include like an egg noodle, right, so that really tied it all over the course. But yeah, that was that was. That was the food, and the drink was cocoa. Oh yeah, I don't think I drank water until I was twenty two or twenty three years old. Wow wow, yeah yeah, So and that was on doctor's orders. Were you microwaving these or were using the oven? Because I think the thing about this sof for stuff was to take like seven hours in the oven to make these things. Well, I think it was either or it depends like are you making? Is this dinner? Are you? Are you having dinner with mom? And is it nighttime?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Why don't we just put in the oven and get a little crust on top of it?
Speaker 2: Right, You're going to get a better.
Speaker 1: Right, But I know that everything went in the microwave eventually, Yeah, I mean, especially when you're on the go. And we didn't, we didn't look, we weren't monstrous. We didn't microwave the French bread pizza. That's okay, that's important, right, Even though we had the microwave of the browning element, it never worked. That caused the fuse to pay. Yeah, still we never we just we respected the French.
Speaker 4: Well, it seems like if you microwave the French bread pizza, it wouldn't the bread wouldn't get so hard that it would almost break your teeth every time you invite into it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember that element.
Speaker 1: I do. I do. Look, I have one of those. I was really I think the first time I had COVID because when I get sick, I go immediately back to like I.
Speaker 4: Would actually I want stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have any craft singles like stuff that you know? And I know that my wife showed up with French ship pizzas because I've had them in recent memory, you know, in the last couple of years. Yeah, yeah, they hurt your teeth.
Speaker 4: That's very sweet that she did that, And yeah, they hurt your teeth. A lot of this stuff stuffers obviously still exists. In a lot of this stuff still exists, and it's really funny. It's really funny looking at the website like we were. We were looking at the you know, the different the French but pizza aside the mac and cheese and the other the other entrees and stuff come in different sizes, which are party size, family size, and meals for one. I know that's Jonah and I were like, this feels sad, but they describe it like this, the meals for one, delicious bites for solo nights. After a long day, you deserve to treat yourself with a quick and comforting meal like our ultimate five cheese mac or bowl foles, fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Find your favorite and explore all our meals for I know the meals for one thing absolutely defastated.
Speaker 1: I think delicious bites for solo nights.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then yeah. Family size.
Speaker 4: Their motto is feed the family and party size. It's bigger portions for bigger plans. But this is also something that we found funny. The mac and cheese also has one additional size that's only for the mac and cheese, called large size for someone who's like, I don't want to just have a meal for one of mac and cheese. If I'm going mac and cheese I'm going hard, which is what I would say.
Speaker 1: One and a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't really remember the meals for one, but I do, or maybe I do, But I really remember being at people's houses and them having the party size of sto for stuff and being like, WHOA, what the.
Speaker 1: Hell is this? You know, wow, I remember the big the big mac and cheese, But I don't. I don't, you know, I'm from a little slightly different era. I mean I predate lean cuisine. Just to put some perspective on this, Like I was in Stover's prior to the lean cuisine revolution, which changed it all right, right right, you know, we didn't have fancy sizes, but they did have a big the things that were sides in none of themselves. I think that they did have the larger.
Speaker 2: Ones, right right, right, right right.
Speaker 1: I guess my mom was never tempted, you know, to think of the economy. We could have split the mac and cheese.
Speaker 4: I mean, can you imagine anything more fun than opening up your freezer and there's a party size of Stuffer's mac and cheese. I'd be like, this is it must be my birthday or something. It seems so fun, And yet I'm sure if you always had it, you would get sick of.
Speaker 1: It very quickly, or maybe not. It's pretty delicious. I don't think I cared about food. I think it was more of a fuel thing. Yeah, it's hard to describe. I can't. I can't project me now. Yeah, because I would This is stuff that I just you know, I just would never eat.
Speaker 4: I've always wanted to be that way of like food is fuel. But I'm always like when can I get more of it? And I'm can I love it?
Speaker 1: I was just this will be a lifelong battle.
Speaker 3: Yes, So, Brian, I actually went to UH. I had a friend in middle school whose dad worked for Nestle. Yes, and we got to go to I believe a Cleveland Guardians or Cleveland Bablon Brown's game baseball or football game. Okay, yeah, Brown's game. And we had a load Nestlie had a load for this sports game and it was full of Neslie products. Oh and like I remember just eating like popping these like mini Nestli crunch bars. Just I don't remember what sport it was, but I just remember eating so much Nestlie crunched and hot chocolate.
Speaker 1: I mean, were you into chocolate? What were some of the year kind of deserts you're in. It's funny. I wasn't a chocolate person, but I am now I'm a dark chocolate lunatic now.
Speaker 4: But I was not.
Speaker 1: I wasn't into bark chocolate.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 1: I was not a Hershey NESTLEI guy. What I was into was hostess, Okay, plies. That was it, the hostess big wheel, which is what they were called in my region. You may know them as a ding dong or if you're one of our friends in Canada, a king down, you know, old king Don Bouchard up through Manitoba. Okay, the you know, the the hockey puck thats dipped in chocolate with a you know, a cylindrical ho ho kind of. It's like it's a it's a hockey puck with cream in the middle and it's dipped in chocolate. These things we got them in twelve packs, and the twelve pack was in the refrigerator, not beer. Okay, big wheels. Because my mom was like she liked and chilled, and you know she was in on this too, right, we were not you know, this was it wasn't all my idea. So you would get these big wheal ding dong things. You'd open them up and then you'd just eat the chocolate off, and then you'd have round two, which is you go and attack the cupcake. Let's call it fun the hockey puck cupcake and take that out separately. And so that chocolate I was fine with. I don't know why. Maybe proximity to the cake. I don't know. Maybe because it was thin, it wasn't so much of a chocolate commitment. I love so hos too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are so good.
Speaker 4: Can I say something without offending either of you, which is that I don't know? Which is that being into dark chocolate. I don't think today, even though you're both into dark chocolate, it doesn't really make you a chocoholic. And I'm not saying that you claim to be, but I think chocoholics like myself are into more into milk chocolate because that's more like it. And again, I'm not going to spend too long on this because I can see from both of your faces that you're not really enjoying it. But it's a true chocoholic I think is obsessed with milk chocolate, and that's controversial. I'm probably going to get a lot of I'm probably going to get a lot of feedback on this, a lot of.
Speaker 1: Negative feedback up. Yeah yeah. Let me just ask you a question. What's your bar count? What's your daily bar count with.
Speaker 2: Your chocolate bars.
Speaker 4: That's fair, that's pretty low, and I bet yours is pretty high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm I can easily be a two bar day guy. Just I think you're just your utility chocolate, your you know, your choco love okay, you know, just a nice little three dollars you know, jammer in there that you have to go to the other store for. I knocked two of those out in the day, and that makes me a chocoholic, okay. And I know, yeah, I know, I know a lot about aholicking. And this one, this one's real, okay, Okay, Yeah, with the.
Speaker 3: Dark chocolate, you're getting a lot less sugar so you can eat more of it. And it is sugared out.
Speaker 1: I think so. And I believe that it's got a you know, I keep hearing that it's got a little go fast to it. Also that there's you know, some of it's caffeinated or.
Speaker 4: Right there is caffeine. I think, yeah, yeah, okay, I take it back. I'm sorry that I accused of both of them being chocoholics.
Speaker 1: Just as long as we're all enjoying chocolate, isn't that really what matters?
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, getting back to now, speaking of controversy, did you know that Stofers was sued no less than three times for absolutely hilarious reasons. Do you want to get into the first Jon had found the first one, so I don't want to take it.
Speaker 3: There was a they were sued by Applebee's over using the term skillet sensations. Yeah, because Applebee's saying they coined the phrase in nineteen ninety seven and Stofers came out with it right after for some frozen dinners, and there was this big lawsuit they both wanted to use a name. Neslee eventually agreed to stop using the phrase skillet sensations and marketing and renamed it Stofer's Skillets in two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: Wow, and they like that, no skillet sensations.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, everybody fighting over skillet sensations, which doesn't seem like it's that good of a name.
Speaker 2: But also Stofer's being like, okay, you can have it.
Speaker 4: Now, we're going to rename it Stofer's skillets is a little bit like, okay, you.
Speaker 1: Could have yeah, little big applebee. Yeah. Now.
Speaker 4: Another one that happened even prior to this, in nineteen ninety one, it's funny you brought up Lian Cuisine, is that the Federal Trade Commission issued a complaint that Stofers had misrepresented the sodium content and their Lian Cuisine entrees by stating that they were low in sodium because.
Speaker 1: Because they weren't, and they were not, and they.
Speaker 4: And Stoffers argued that the campaign had focused on good taste and controlled sodium, fat, and calories, and that the sodium claim was relative, reflecting a lower amount of sodium, not necessary, that the entrees were low sodium, so I think they were like, it's lower than our other stuff, so everything's relative. But the Federal Trade Commission ruled in favor or the judge rule in favor of the Federal Trade Commission. And the last one, which happened in twenty eleven, there was a recall placed on again Line Cuisine spaghetti and meatballs after consumers reported finding pieces of plastic in their meals.
Speaker 1: That's not that's not me, that's not what they paid for.
Speaker 4: And so uh in twenty sixteen, here's another one. So that was twenty eleven. So that was a little bit of a recall. Another recall in twenty sixteen when a number of Stofer's products were voluntarily recalled on the suspicion that they contained small pieces of glass.
Speaker 1: Well, let's they've gone upscale from the plastic though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it seems just like.
Speaker 4: We're gonna we're gonna put some kind of non edible material in here.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be nice. Yeah, I mean the glass is slightly more dangerous. You might think. It really depends what kind of glass row. Right, that's true, that's true, exactly right.
Speaker 3: What how were your thoughts on like little Debbie, were you into like seapercakes or something?
Speaker 1: No, well that was quick. No, No hostess, hostess, any any any rogue snack caick was absolutely unacceptable. And to say it with the with the hostess, fruit pie, the cherry, specifically the fruit pie. That obsession carried through into my early forties. This was a product. It was on the rider for every bad religion show. Awesome, I man, woe is the runner who would show up with a counterfeit with something other than a hostess cherry Pie. Here's your intimates. Get back to that store.
Speaker 2: Did did you tell them to go for a walk?
Speaker 1: Of course I had people. I had people do that every time. I'd never directly.
Speaker 4: Just why every time I talk about going for a walk, I start singing that song and Jonah says, Venessa's not that funny that millions times?
Speaker 1: God, that guitar solo is so such a devil for me that I have to play that occasionally. It's just it's a dumb solo and it's hard. But I digress.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, do you think, but think about it got me to be able to do that bit for years, so it was worth it, right.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't let you. I didn't let that breathe at all. I should have really let you have it. I just was I was running over you trying to think of intimates.
Speaker 4: And no, I look, I really snuck it in there and I and you caught it.
Speaker 1: So tasty cake, that's what I was going. Tasty cake, tasty tasty taste. You hate to go right back to Lantham Severn, Maryland with that one. Okay, they're made, okay, Okay, you know before we got a break.
Speaker 3: I gotta say there are some riffing solos on that on that record, the greatest record I'm thinking. I listened to it yesterday. It's it's drunk sincerity. I think maybe that one has like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a fun one. That's cool. We still we just started playing that again actually live when you come see Bad Religion live this year?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, incredible. And also I wanted to promote I got this Glenny Friedman Minor Threat book.
Speaker 1: That's a great book, just because it's great because Glenn's such a great photographer. The subject matters. They are for discussion. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I want to say I'm I'm a huge Bad Religion fan too, And I I don't mean to just talk about going for a walk, but I for a walk. Really, I've gotten so much mileage out of that song, and I will continue to for their.
Speaker 1: Please please don't. Hopefully our time together will add to it in some way. That's right.
Speaker 4: I have one more question before we go to break two, which is you were saying hostess for a period of time. Jonah got very into the teenage mutant Ninja turtle pies.
Speaker 2: Did you ever have were those Hostess?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. They may have been.
Speaker 2: A very limited amount of time.
Speaker 3: We think they had like custard inside of them or something. This was I was, yeah, I think I was out of I was out of pie. Yeah, except for the cherry pies.
Speaker 1: The cherry pie.
Speaker 3: They were hostess. They were filled with vanilla pudding and they were green. But this might have been. This is probably like early nineties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess in retrospect that age, it would have been weird if you were like, oh, there's these delicious looking cherry ones, but I'm going to buy the disgusting looking to your Ninja journal.
Speaker 1: But Jonah really like them, and.
Speaker 3: I wish those are on your rider. That would have been incredible. It would have been great.
Speaker 1: It would have been people have to go find them. All right, Well, we are going to take a quick break and we'll be right back with Brian Baker.
Speaker 4: We're back, and we'd like to play a game that's relatively new for us, and it's called Congratulations You Baked Yourself.
Speaker 1: Congratulations you Baked Yourself.
Speaker 4: So basically, in this game, we will discuss three culinary dishes that are making a comeback in a nostalgic way, and the rules are sort of unclear, but at the end of reading all three, we'll pick which one we're most excited about, and that will be the dish ultimately that we decide has baked itself. It's a play and congratulate you played yourself, except congratulations, you baked yourself. And I think if I explain it anymore, it's not going to make it sound less stupid.
Speaker 2: So let's get started.
Speaker 1: Right and realized, I have no frame of reference for even what you're referring to. So this is it's just going to be good fun for my son.
Speaker 4: Yeaht perfect, perfect, Jonna, do you want to read this first one?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: So this first dish that apparently is making a comeback is classic macaroni salad with ham, and this is from Southern Living all of these and it says, are you looking for an easy, fuss free recipe for a pot look, given this macaroni. Give this macaroni salad with ham a try, because you can't get much easier than a recipe with only two steps. So basically, there are salads, and there are Southern salads. Not a lot of prep work. It's a layered salad. You just boil some pasta starn ham, vegetables, mayonnaise, and seasoning, then cover and chill for at least two hours. Brian, what do you think about.
Speaker 1: A clarifying okay, just horror fun. Yeah, yeah, that's yeah, yeah, it's not that's just not that's just not what I do. Yeah, you know, I mean it's I know that the ham is pre sliced and it comes in a in a vacuum pack, and it's like, you know, that's that's where it just all goes wrong, right, right, right, right, right? Yeah? What if it was Stofer's salad with ham and you're you're like, little Brian Baker, what do you think this sounds good? De youer still? Now well now you're talking about hot ham and hot mayonnaise. And I don't even think, little Brian Baker, you know, because by its nature, we are heating it. I don't really think there was not a line of that's true. You're right, You're right, you're yeah. I I I agree with Brian. I think it sounds pretty gross. I also think we the word salad is he's very kind of liberally, I think, And yeah, there's still a lot of work that works. It's not good for you, Yeah, not a lot of green stuff in this. Uh your thoughts on this, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's tough for me.
Speaker 4: The idea of putting all of this stuff in so much Manny's And then what kind of chilled me was when it says at the end chill for at least two hours.
Speaker 2: It just feels like it all starts.
Speaker 4: To congeal in a way that yeah, is not uh not my style.
Speaker 2: I'll say, yeah, so so.
Speaker 1: Not for me, But.
Speaker 2: You know, onto the next.
Speaker 1: Maybe for people, maybe for someone who enjoys Southern Living magazine, that's right, Yes, that's right. Maybe be good for them.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And speaking of which, the next one that's coming back is called pineapple fluff. Texture is the star of this fluff recipe. You get creamy, chewy, and crunchy in every tropical bite. So this is a sweet side dish, okay, side dish or dessert. You choose that you can whip up with just ten active minutes of prep time, and you use macadamia nuts, pineapple, and coconut to combine for flavors that are so tropical and just plain fun. No, before they list the ingredients that you need to make this, Jonah made a comment which it says to make pineapple fluff you'll need, and then Jonah wrote in parentheses, besides a total lack of dignity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're gonna have to put your dignity aside. You're gonna have to ask what the active make. You know, it's ten minutes of active work. Yeah, but how much Dorman? How much? How much Dorman work? Exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just you know, it's just can crush pineapple and juice, pineapple flavored gelatin, frozen whip topping like cool whip, mini marshmallows, unsweetened shreaded coconut, and maceadamia nuts for the necessary crunch. Apparently it tastes like fluffy, airy light dessert.
Speaker 1: Right, well, yeah it's a catastrophe. But yeah, but also it is being billed as a potential side dish. What what would this pair well with? Right? Great question.
Speaker 4: I don't know, maybe your ham and whatnot.
Speaker 1: So you're I think you I think you may have just a.
Speaker 4: Classic macaroni salad with ham, because yeah, yeah, so that's well.
Speaker 1: Out of time. Would not eat okay, Eddie.
Speaker 3: This seems like something like maybe you eat at vacation at like an amusement park. Or something right, but not something you would make at home. Right, Yeah, that's a vibe I get.
Speaker 4: But maybe that's what I didn't even know they make pineapple jello. But maybe it's because people making this pineapple fluff left and right.
Speaker 1: I can believe that I can believe in pineapple jello. That seems reasonable to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just it's not when it's mixed with a bunch of marshmallows and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hawaiian Thanksgiving, right, it's big. It's big on you know, right.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's get into this last one before we decide. This one's tomato soup cake. This is well, it's already went. Okay, Yeah, look what it has to fight in here.
Speaker 1: I know, I know.
Speaker 3: It's not the toughest, says this article says. Tomato soup isn't just a major conversation starter at a dinner party for a surprising ingredient. It's also a beautiful to serve and delicious to eat with loads of warm spices, similar to carrot cake. Your guests would never know there was tomato soup in the recipe, but you'll definitely want to tell them anyways, because knowing is the fun part. Okay, we guys, just talk about the way this article is written. I mean, this is so the tone of this is so bizarre. It's like you want to like prank your friends, but also you're super fool your guests, but also like this person feels like weirdly proud of it.
Speaker 1: Like it's a weird tone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little aggressive, it's a little yeah. Yeah. Yeah. So you resent your guests or you haven't. There's a lot of issues that have not been worked out. I think i'm the in the author's case. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think the idea of like having someone eat something and then being like tell them like the unexpected ingredient afterwards, or something that feels weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, you're drinking decaf.
Speaker 2: That's what I said to Jonah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's the Farley skit.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I said to Jonah when we were talking about this.
Speaker 1: I was like, it reminds me so much of the Chris I've had some great tomato cakes in my life, but it's so funny. That's a change.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does seem like, uh, yeah, fuck you, you just had tomato, you idiot. Okay, So, but so this seems it seems like sort of it would be your pick though, Brian, like it feels the.
Speaker 1: Tomato cake, I could see that being I could see it made with less chemicals.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, I'm kind of interested in the use of tomato, you know, in a fruit format, because you know, someone could chime in here, who's better with vegetables? But it isn't tomato sort of on that.
Speaker 4: I believe it technically right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm more attracted to that. Yeah, it seems a little more rustic. Yes. Also, they haven't told us really what's in it yet, so this could all, this could all Yeah, actually.
Speaker 3: Well I can tell you what's in it. It's it's a salt, sugar, love those butter eggs, vanilla extract, baking spray with flour and golden raisins.
Speaker 1: And then you got to make a cream cheese for us.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, Tony, you left it the most important part.
Speaker 3: There's a can of can of condensed tomato seas such as Campbell's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of sugar and salt in there too. Yeah, I mean still I have no problem with any of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Yeah, I wonder what the color would be like at this, like, I wonder if you're going to be seeing Red when you make it.
Speaker 2: Or if I think you are.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, Now that reminds me of a song on the first Mining Fret record, Seeing Red. And it was interesting because we, of course the straight edge kids. We lived on tomato, ca, Coca Cola and Hostess, you know, and Makai made the best tomato cake in Northwest Washington. I'm gonna call him now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I look, I'm interested in this. They say it tastes a lot like carrot cake. It has a cream cheese frosting. I go, where do I sign? You know, I'm definitely this is you have to sign for it. Sign in a cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and allspice in it too.
Speaker 2: This sounds very good to me.
Speaker 4: And I will say I was just at a restaurant recently and I had this like tomato toast the tomato on It was really sweet, and I thought, I think we're really missing the boat here, that we're not using tomato as a dessert more often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm with you. Yeah, Yeah, I like it too. Yeah. Yeah, So, Brian, if you had to vote to bring back one of these items, and just to recap, it's a classic macaroni cead with ham, pineapple fluff and tomato soup cage. Which one are you are you voting for? I'm gonna go with the tomato soup cake, John, Okay, Yeah, Vanessa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going I'm going straight to that tomato soup cake too. In fact, I genuinely might try and make this. I don't know when, and I don't know how, and I don't know where, and I do know that it probably never will, but I it appeals to me.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, same hair. I think it sounds like the most edible and yeah, well it's not crazy, right, it's not great, it's not just it's not just horrifying. It's fine. Can it could work? It could not work.
Speaker 1: You just move on to the next thing.
Speaker 3: Brian, thank you so much for coming on. What do you have coming up? I know we just saw bad religions playing no values. That's very exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just found that out today that we're playing just the punkst of a normal punk fests in Pomona, California with The Misfits and our friends Social Distortion, who we will be touring the US with Prior to that, there's a big Bad Religion social Distortion track across the US. We're co headlining, you know, flip flopping basically drawing straws to see you gets to go home first. I'm sorry, I met we're co headlining. I'm really really looking forward to this trip. We're going to be all over the US and we we test drove this in Australia a year ago doing some shows for Social Distortion and we got along just like houses on Fire. So it's going to be a good show.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm really looking forward to that. And then I have I have a month in Europe on the festival circuit, as one does in Bad Religion, and I will be right now. I believe I'm going to be in Europe again in November with my band Fake Names, which features Brennan from Fugazi I'm sure you're familiar with, and friend Johnny Temple from Girls Against Boys, who's very handsome, members of s A and the Faith. It's basically a celebration of the DC high school system where all the guys from different bands. We've made our own band called Fake Names, Yes, with a singer from there a singer from Refused, just the one who does all the heavy lifting. But yes, and expendable is incredible. I did the bio for that actually for re Epitaph. Oh that's it. I think that's when we met.
Speaker 3: I think, so yeah, yeah, and so great record and yeah, I just remember you and Social Stars must have crossed paths during that whole another state of mind that era right, Well, their.
Speaker 1: Their vehicle broke down in front of our house. So that's how you get to know somebody when they can't get away. Wow, that must have been with like eighty five or something. Now that was eighty that was eighty two or eighty three at the very latest. I think I might have been eighty eighty two a long time.
Speaker 4: Agow incredible, And you're doing a lot of touring dates and you're telling me there's going to be hostess cherry pies on all of these at all of these venues.
Speaker 1: Well now there will be, now that we've resurrected this tradition and we're going to play a walk every night. And I'm going to think. I'm going to think about the Bears as I launched into that awkward yet uplifting solo that I foolishly wrote myself, not knowing I would have to reproduce in thousands of times.
Speaker 4: We feel honored and also, you know, hopefully we can see you when you're in our respective cities, and you know, we maybe we'll come backstage and grab a cherry pie.
Speaker 2: That's not why we're going.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're going to see you, but but you know, we'll just should it be there, you know, I guess.
Speaker 1: Right, if I can't find it, don't blame the runner, right, just realize that we've been I've been visited by friends. Yeah, of course we'd love to see it. You know, if you have any other dietary needs, let us know in advance. We have a crack staff. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's really awesome. We're both such big fans of yours in it. Thank you so much for doing this. It was really cool to get to talk to you.
Speaker 1: And you know, I've had a really I've had a great time. And when i've I've listened to a few others of these and I just I just love it. It's great. It's got this kind of like hardcore delicious dish vibe, but it's the sibling thing. You Your energy's off the charts we should keep ad keep at that's very nice.
Speaker 4: I'm going to watch our parents and tell them that, yeah, that you said that, but they'll listen to all Right.
Speaker 3: If you enjoyed that, please subscribe to the podcast and keep an eye for next week's episode of How Did We Get Weird, where we would discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones like Stofer's rosen Dinners. Yeah, posted snacks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all of it right, all of it
Speaker 1: Had every reason