Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Good morning. I maybe Morris and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: We begin with the intersection of politics and law. Former President Donald Trump facing a deadline today to post a nine figure bond to appeal is civil fraud judgment in New York. Bloomberg's Nathan Hagar with that story.
Speaker 3: Trump has been ordered to post one hundred and twenty percent of the four hundred and fifty four million dollar verdict against him for inflating his asset values. That amounts to a bond of about five hundred and forty five million dollars. Last week, the former president told an appeals court that amount is unattainable because the insurance companies would only take cash as collateral, not real estate. Trump says he has almost five hundred million dollars in cash on hand. He says he intends to use a substantial amount of that on his campaign, which is already spending millions on Trump's legal fees. In Washington, I'm Nathan Hager, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, Nathan, thank you. While staying with politics, the US Senate passed legislation over the weekend to avoid a partial government shutdown, The Senate cleared the sprawling one point two trillion dollar package on a seventy four to twenty four vote. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer spoke after the vote.
Speaker 4: It is good for the American people that we have reached the bipartisan agreement to complete the job of funding the government.
Speaker 1: And it comes after the House passed the bill Friday despite stiff opposition from far right Republicans, but striking that budget deal triggered a new attempt to remove House Speaker Mike Johnson. Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who was removed in October, says he does not see the motion picking up much traction.
Speaker 5: The one advice I would give to the Conference and to the Speaker is do not be fearful of a motion to vacate. I do not think they could do it again. That was sheerly based on Matt Gates trying to stop an ethics complaint. I don't think the Democrats will go along with it too.
Speaker 1: And Kevin McCarthy speaking on Face the Nation from CBS, which can be heard Sundays on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Now, let's turn to the latest on the deadly terror attacks in Russia. Russia has charged fore men in connection with the Moscow concert hall attack, where at least one hundred and thirty seven people were killed. Islamic State has taken responsibility for the attack. Putin and other officials have made vague claims of involvement from Ukraine. Tony Halpin leads Bloomberg Government's coverage of Russia.
Speaker 6: In any normal country, a massacre of this size would immediately raise questions about the competence of the security services, and there be political demands for heads to roll in the leadership. But nothing of that sort is happening in Russia because put In, even though he dismissed warnings of a terrorist attack just a few days before it actually took place, doesn't, of course, want to hold the FSB accountable for these failures, and it serves the Russian state's purpose to try and blame things on Ukraine because they're desperately trying to maintain support for the war, and that's raising questions about what they might be planning next.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Tony Halpin says the violence was the singlest, big, biggest loss of life from a militant assault in Moscow since two thousand and two.
Speaker 1: Well, there's new developments amy on the war in the Middle East. This morning, Vice President Kamala Harris is warning Israel against a major attack on the Gozen, the city of a Rafa, that's where more than a million Palestinians have sad refuge as the war against Hamas continues. Harris spoke on ABC's This Week.
Speaker 7: We've been very clear that it would be a mistake to move into Rafa with any type of military operation, a mistake, but would there be consequences if he does move forward. Well, we're going to take it one step at a time, but we've been very clear in terms of our perspective on whether or not that should happen.
Speaker 1: And Vice President Harris speaking on ABC's This Week, heard Sundays on Bloomberg Radio, Israel says it must send troops into Rafa because it's a last remaining bastion of Hamas. Israeli intelligence estimates there are around five to eight thousand Hamas fighters and group leaders in the city.
Speaker 2: Turning to markets now, US futures are lower, Treasury yields are higher. As we begin this new trading week. Bond traders are cautiously reloading wagers that burn them. Just a few weeks ago, as the FED and other central banks appears said to start cutting rates as soon as June. We get more from Bloomberg's Mike mackenzie.
Speaker 8: The bomb market has on seven occasions now positioned itself with the so called Fed pivot trade, and it's been burnt every time because it's just a case of me, you've got to get the.
Speaker 3: Timing right on this trade.
Speaker 8: So all signs indicate that central banks, not just the FED, but you know, the Bank of England and the European Central Bank are looking to do a coordinated sort of easying around June, and that really depends on whether the data allows them to do it.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Mike mackenzie says investors will be eyeing a busy week of economic data, including the Fed's preferred inflation gauge that's due out on Friday, which, by the way, happens to be a market holiday.
Speaker 1: Well, we turn to company news now Amy and more details are coming out from Tim cook visit to China. The Apple CEO is pitching artificial intelligence as an essential tool for businesses committed to reducing carbon footprints. And Cook spoke at a forum yesterday in Beijing.
Speaker 9: We would not be able to recover the level of material that we do today for recitement without AI. I mean, it's already fundamental in our calculation, and I think it provides an enormous tool in the toolkit for every company that's wishing to be carbon neutral or to lower their emissions by substantial amount.
Speaker 1: Apple CEO Tim Cook appeared at the annual China Development Forum on Carbon neutrality and climate change. It's part of a week of public displays of Apple's commitment to China.
Speaker 2: Staying in Asia. It looks like electric carmaker BYD is cutting prices further in China. Bloomberg Daybreak Asia anchor Brian Curtis bringing us to tails now from Hong Kong.
Speaker 10: Not only has byd unseated Test the world's top selling ev maker, but he has now set its sights on Toyota and Volkswagen. These new cuts are some of the most aggressive we've seen in China's bruising price war. The automaker is discounting almost every electric and hybrid car model itselves. Data from the Portal sixteen eight eighty eight dot Com shows BYD has cut prices on more than one hundred existing model versions. Its most affordable car now sells for less than ten thousand US dollars in Hong Kong. Brian Curtis, Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Radio, All right, Brian, thank you well. Jennet Yellen or reportedly visit China next month, Politico is reporting the Treasury secretary we'll meet with the country senior leaders. Yellen previously travel to Beijing in July. And it's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. And for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr. Michael, good Morning.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Karon, New Jersey First Lady Tammy Snyder Murphy has made a big announcement in her race for the Senate.
Speaker 1: Any busy, invigorating, and yes, challenging months, I am suspending my Senate campaign today.
Speaker 11: Bloomberg's Ed Baxter as the story.
Speaker 12: The race is for the seat of Democrat Bob Menendez, who's pleated not guilty to federal bribery charges. He said he will not run for the Democratic nomination, but did leave open an independent candidacy. Murphy says she's been genuine and factual throughout, but that it's become clear that the campaign would become divisive and negative. She says she's not willing to do that. Both she and New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy previously worked at Goldman Sachs Ad Baxter Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 11: New York Mayor Eric Adams canceled a plan trip to the US Mexico border over the weekend. According to City Hall, there were safety concerns in one of the Mexican cities that he planned to visit. As the reason for the change. Adams had been invited by executive director of the faith based organization Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley to meet with her and her team at the southern border. The Supreme Court is set to hear oral arguments tomorrow in the case centered reducing access to a widely used abortion drug. Mifa pristone is usually part of a two pill regimen for medication abortion. The question is whether mifa pristone can continue to be prescribed and mailed to individuals in the same manner as other medications. In legal briefs filed with the court, medical professionals call it among the most safest medications ever approved by the Food and Drug Administration, while the Christian Conservative group suing the agency says the drug has led to tens of thousands of emergency complications. Liola Law School professor Jessica.
Speaker 1: Levinson in the end, I think the Court will be reticent to really undermine the power of the FDA because they know this isn't just about MIFA pristone.
Speaker 3: This is also about other drugs.
Speaker 11: Professor Levinson spoke to CBS. Next month, the High Court weill way allowing state bans on abortion even when an emergency room doctor believes ending of pregnancy would preserve the mother's health. Heavy rain and quarter size hail fell in southern California, with wind gusts approaching sixty miles an hour in the Mountain area over the weekend. In the northeast, police reported hundreds of traffic accidents as drivers grappled with icy roads. People in New England spent Sunday digging out after a major weekend storm that dumped more than two feet of snow in some areas. The International Space Station is due to welcome to cosmonauts and a US astronaut this morning. They begin a six months name global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with the Bloomberg News. Now, I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 1: All right, Michael Barr, thank you. It's time now for the Bloomberg Spores Update with John stash Hour.
Speaker 4: John, good morning, Good morning, Karen's really some first round surprises in the NCAA tournament, but things win much more according to Foreman, Round two and the tourney heads of the sweet sixteen with all the one seeds, all the two still alive. Defennanch champion Yukon very much alive. Huskies keep winning easily. At Barclay's. They led Northwestern forty to eighteen at halftime, went on to win seventy five fifty eight. Yukon's now won eight consecutive NCAA games, all by thirteen and more points. The coach is Dan Hurley, that.
Speaker 13: We're bulletproof, you know again, elite offense, elite defense, you know. Didn't love the offensive rebounding today and didn't love the second half defensive rebounding, you know, but again, twenty assists, seven turnovers. One player had fourteen fourteen and eight point. Court had twenty and ten. You know it's tough to lose when you have that level of quality.
Speaker 4: Yukon now heads the Boston to play a rematch of last year's title game with San Diego State. The last nine one easily over Yale. Perdue won by thirty nine over Utah State. Nothing easy about Houston's win. Texas A and M down twelve with two minutes left in regulation, hit a three pointer at the buzzer to force overtime. The Cougars, top seeds in the South, pulled out to win one hundred to ninety five. NBA Miami be Cleveland by thirty seven. At the next FET, the lowly Piston Sun at the guard Nick's will move into a tie for third with the Cats, Devils, and Islanders, both trying to work their way into the playoffs. They met at Ubs. Devil's won four nothing, the Capitals won three nothing. Some of the Yankees still in Florida, like Marcus Stroman. He pitched six scoreless innings. There's a game today with the Mets. The others are in Mexico a four to three losses. Forty one year old x Yankee Robinson Cano had three hits with a home run of the game with that Mexican team today, and then everyone goes to Houston for Thursday's opener.
Speaker 11: The Dodgers are back from Korea.
Speaker 4: Today's show, Hey Otani meets the media to answer questions about his former interpreter accused of stealing millions from him. Georgia's starting running back Trevor at In arrested for dui. John Stashewer Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 14: Coast to Coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Today is the deadline for Donald Trump. He has to post bond to cover a four hundred and fifty four million dollars civil fraud verdict or risk having New York State start the process of seizing his assets. We begin with that story when we welcome in Terry Haynes, the founder of Pangaea Policy. Terry tell us what's going to happen today with Donald Trump?
Speaker 15: Sixty four dollars? Question, isn't it Amy? Good morning? You know, I bet that what happens is a little bit you know. James has two paths here. Basically, one is to start seizing assets. The other one is to wait for appeal. My instinct is she does a little bit of both. Frankly, that she takes something as a as kind of a hostage. But I don't know whether it's a big splash place like Trump Tower itself or smaller maybe a hotel, but you know, takes something and meanwhile awaits the outcome of the appeal. The problem for James is that the is that this very process where you've got to post a bond of one hundred percent or more, uh, just to appeal is is draconian. And if this gets into certainly into a federal court, I'd bet I'd bet it gets struck down. So she actually has to proceed a lot more carefully than her rhetoric indicates.
Speaker 2: How does this impact has been for the presidency?
Speaker 15: You know, I think, as you all say on this channel, uh, I think that I think that this is largely priced in. You know wrote the uh. You know, those who are outraged will be outraged, those who aren't, and you know, wishing Meal will be And it doesn't convince anybody else. They know it's uh uh, they know it's a bad situation. But are they going to be swayed one way or the other. Uh. I doubt it, particularly compared to what the hot button issues are and everything I get from talking to people who are in the political field. I mean, actually, you know, talking to voters, you know on the ground, UH, is that the economy and border security remain by far the top two issues. So I think this is spice one way or the other.
Speaker 2: Let's shift gears end. At Capitol Hill, the House and Senate passed that spending bill. President Biden signed it into law early Saturday. What does this bill do? I mean, when do we see another shut down countdown?
Speaker 15: Well, you won't. You feel good or bad about this, It's up to you. But if you won't until basically the first of October, spending now is done until the end of the fiscal year, which comes the first of October. I think largely what you'll see pre and post election, so roughly until the end of the calendar year is Congress kicking the can and essentially saying, look, you know, the outcome of the election is good to determine what spending is. But markets should make no mistake. You know, markets have largely priced the sort of the performative stuff in as well anyway. But markets should make no mistake, is not going to be any any major change in spending no matter who wins the election, and the debt and defsit problems that exists will continue to exist, so you know, net, it's not going to matter very much.
Speaker 2: We got about a minute left here. Some far right Republicans not at all happy at House Speaker Mike Johnson even allowed this to come up for a vote at all, So what does his future look like?
Speaker 15: You know? I bet he, I bet he sticks. The Congresswoman Green's motion is out there but is not triggered, so it's She expresses disappointment with what Johnson did on spending. But you know, this is also the kind of performative cowardice that makes Washington what it is today. She expresses, the you know, tries to pull the trigger after the deed is done, so that tells you everything you need to know. It also is designed to perform some kind of a block on Ukraine voting, but I think that it probably gives centrists in both parties, who are already trying to rally here more gas to actually try to get something on Ukraine done. So I'd watch that space I've said that, I think it makes so a little more likely that happens.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Bloomberg Daybreak today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 2: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, Sirius Xmthiheartradio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Amy Morris.
Speaker 3: And I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg Daybreak