Speaker 1: Hey, this is Anny and Samantha. I'm welcome to Stefan never told you a production of iHeartRadio. And today we thought we would do a look back on when Samantha and I first got our start, our anniversary, our podiversary as you.
Speaker 2: Really pod podcast of oursary podcast and it's more difficult, Okay, perfect.
Speaker 1: That sounds about that's our evolution. No, but yeah, March twenty seconds was depending on when your listening, well it was, it happened in the past. Oh my gosh. It was the anniversary of our endeavor together as our coach are together on this podcast. We launched in twenty nineteen, and I just thought we would take a look look back at that and see how things have changed, how we feel about it. A brief content warning because when we both started, we came out the gates strong with the mini series on Trauma. It was a thirteen episode mini series. I don't think we're gonna go too in depth into anything, but you never know. It will be talked about at least yes, but yeah, I know we've told this story before, but very briefly after Bridget left there was a period where I was just having guest co host all the time, and we were looking for a new host. We had like of spreadsheets of people we were asking, and I believe that it just so happened. I came to a cheese night, a cheese and wine night at your place, and it just sort of came up, like maybe because I was you were doing your thing where you were asking me questions and I was like, oh, I've had this drama in my life. It just sort of came up, like where do we go to talk about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yes, and I know if you want to explain. I know you've talked about it before, but you've told the listeners before. But you were good friends are good friends with previous host Caroline? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I definitely. Again, this is one of those things when you go to a college around the same year you realize you have a lot more in common and then like people crossover and it becomes a small world essentially, because I actually knew Kristin as well previously, because her older sister and I are very close and we met at Uga University of Georgia, so we kind of met through that avenue and that was kind of like, oh, she's a secondary friend of mine essentially because sister of my good friend who she's gonna come and we're gonna go see lay this this year. I'm really excited because we love those we love that musical anyway, Anna, and are so excited. But and on the other end, I met Caroline. I'm through friend of a friend who I had known for a while that because of Uga, like we actually had same friend group in Athens, which is where Uga is. And then we came to Atlanta and we all started hanging out because again, you know, you leave college and how do you make friends. You have to reconnect. And I met Caroline, and from I think our first interaction, which was was like this was when I was actually sociable and cute and I'm like, oh, let's be friends whatever whatnot. And I realized that she was working with Kristen and so I was like, oh my god, you know, small world, let's be friends. And from then on, I met you through her, which the first time we met was at her she had just finished her book unladylike at the time, and she had literally kind of just holed away and I had not seen her, and she decided to have a giant celebration two because she was actually finished and I met you and Sarah and I met y'all at the same time, and then we started hanging out slowly. I'm trying to remember how you ended up getting invited to my cheese night, Like, I'm sure I invited you, but I can't remember the beforehand. What's that beforehand?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, first of all, I remember meeting you because you did the thing that I complained about with people with dogs, where you were like I have to go because yes, And it was like right outside, I was like, you haven't bit here that long.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was making a quick escape because my like introvert self was creeping and like overtaking that I need friends. But at that age, I think what was I I was like, right, thirty five? How long ago was this? It was five six years ago?
Speaker 1: Who'd been like, yeah, twenty seventeen, maybe.
Speaker 2: Twenty seventeen, So I was thirty seven, so I was getting late thirties at this point, and I was like, yeah, I'm done. I will be here for a second. There's a lot of people I don't know, and there was tons of people that I did not know very well, and I'm like, I am liking this lesson less so I will stay here to celebrate with you for a good hour and a half, because you also came in lait, miss, so don't even start with me. You and Sarah came in late because y'all are late people and I'm an on time person. So after a couple hours, like, I'm gone bye. I got a dog's take care of and I think i'd already my friend's already know I'll find an excuse, and I love my dog, so let's go. So I left and I didn't interact with you very long at that point. I remember Caroline had pointed you out and said, you really should. I wish you would have been able to hang out to get to know them. They had gotten there late, and I believe y'all come from a different location of having a good time.
Speaker 1: Well, the way it happened for me, this is absolutely true, and it's gonna sound like a lie. I was walking home from our office, and yes, our coworker friend Sarah, she just passed by me on the street and stopped and yelled get in the car, and I did. But I had no idea what was happening. So I did not come from any good times. I was coming from work and I didn't even know we were going to this until Sarah explained it.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. That's about right, because I didn't know that part. Like all these things happen, I'm trying to still remember in between that and the Cheese Night, because it was definitely like, I know, y'all came to the brewery and we got to really like you were very quick to be like, hey, we're the We're the Sad Dad Club essentially.
Speaker 1: And we were all hanging out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were all hanging out at the brewery on Father's Day. I was working and you two came in and then that like led to other things including y'all getting a brewery tour, having Savor come to that as well, so so many things, but I don't remember from where how we got to that to being at the Cheese Night where like making you bear your soul to me essentially because I get to know people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean making me is pretty stung. But you definitely were like if you would like and I was like, I guess I would. I think what it was a it was a bunch of things happened where we would run into each other. I think the Savor video thing, I'd forgotten about that where the other podcast on Savor we did a kind of video at the brewery Samantha worked out at the time, And we also had a couple of other events where we were both there in some of your friends that I didn't really know at the time. Didn't we get you were there when we went to Southern Comfort, right, yes?
Speaker 2: And I forgot you were there because Dominique, a good friend of mine, also was there and she had actually had pictures of you, and I was like, I forgot, I had forgotten all of this. And it was a good time. We had a great time. I remember there was another night where it wasn't such a good time because it was chaos. It was chaos. So we had a couple of nights, yes, we did. So. Southern Comfort is an Atlanta establishment that has now gone unfortunately that essentially is a truck stop that turns into a hipster karaoke night on Wednesdays, So I mean on Wednesdays on Sundays oddly enough, and we when I was actually cool and hung out outside of my house, we would actually go. But yeah, it's been we had so many hangouts. Like everything is blurred, Everything is blurred, and then it came to that night of me having because I loved having cheese nights at my apartment, having a bunch of people over and just having a good night, and you stayed later than everyone. Callen was there too at one point, and then she left.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, uh.
Speaker 2: And then you and I just sat and talked about what was happening, you being a part of the podcast, what that looked like, because I actually was it. Oh yeah, I guess I had met you previously in between all this, when you had started with Bridget Yeah yeah, and Caroline yes, in Atlanta, and I forgot all of this, but like it was previously before, way before, I guess, a year before, two years before, so we must have been hanging out for a good minute after the fact. And then we just started talking about what you'd experienced, the job that I have, what I've experienced, and then we talked about, you know, the me too movement, and I think I had already been reading on Twitter where people were getting annoyed by the word trigger trigger warning, and I was like that, so, like, I get people not liking catchphrases essentially or things that are overused, but this is actually necessary and I think should have been something from the jump, because we talked about like TV ratings and music readings and how that came about eventually, but like having that conversation of what that looks like and trying to talk about, let's talk about something that's really important to you and to me as well, is the fact that this is something that I can walk with you in your trauma process and we can do this as being a transparent duo in a way that I can be your support as a social work friend, so I know this route as well as talk about my own stuff and then just explore what that looks like on a deeper meaning. And that was essentially it. I think at this point is when I was like, and also, I'm crying every day from my work. Let me see if I can find something less traumatic.
Speaker 1: And so we met up at a local restaurant and we came up with an outline of episodes we wanted to do. It quickly ballooned into more than that, but we decided, Okay, we're going to do this mini series on trauma, and and we were very looking back at it, I do think we were very good at being like, Okay, this is going to be really difficult for us, and so we had things in there that we don't do anymore but were important for that mini series of like checking in what are you doing to take care of yourself? They were very intensive episodes in terms of the interviews we did and then the way we would make the outline. We would get a transcript and then we would search for quotes, and so I know you did, but I was looking back over the outlines and they were pretty intensive, right.
Speaker 2: I remember thinking like as I was going through the outline, seeing all the different subjects that we had and the conversations that we had with different people, which I'm like, man, we had some really great guests. Yeah, and then I'm like, we have to replay these because these were so good, Like, these were so good, I think we should be replayed every two years. But I've been through. I was like yeah. And that was when Andrew was our producer at the time. Poor dude. I'm like, are you okay? Are you hearing our stories? Are you traumatized for us? Okay? Great with us, rather but like going through those transcripts and bring it to us and be like, Okay, here it is. This is what it looks like. W how do you want to do this? And being really like open to everything, we asked like everything we went needed to do with the bonus episodes because it is a lot of work and it was extra for him with those interviews pasting back and forth because we were like, we want this here, we want this here, which now our interviews are a little different because we just do it directly and go along with it. Right those trauma episodes, we definitely had such a plan that we wanted to make sure that everything was highlighted and nothing was watered down. So we took all those things that we thought were really significant into those conversations. But then we would try to come back with some of those interviews again. Like my favorite still is that bonus episode did with Renee and Rebecca, and we spliced the two interviews so you could hear the personal experience with the research and data. I think it's still one of our best episodes and we barely talked in it.
Speaker 1: And I used that a lot in our book. Yeah, I referred back to it so that that episode sticks up to me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's something that I think it was so important because not only was Rebecca willing to share her experience which many women, many victims rather and survivors have had, but also having Renee who had done all the work and research about the backlog of rape kits and coming in being like, yeah, this is verified. This is absolutely what is happening in the system, and not much has changed over five years. Nothing has really changed, And I think that was something that was important to us. Our transparency with the therapy session, which actually I feel like that was a catalyst to what I'm like, we need to do this to do because we wanted to normalize trauma therapy. We wanted to open and not that you don't need therapy for everything, you should have therapy for everything, but having a conversation because one of the first things you had told me was that you had done therapy once it was so traumatic that you could not do it again. Like you're like, I'd have to be in a good place. I do think I need it, but these are the things that I can't do, and me sitting here going like, oh my god, let's talk about this because this is You're not the only one, and this is what this looks like, and we need to have that depth of conversation of why it's important to have a good therapist, and we made sure to have that as part of our episode, as well as the fact that I did the research on finding doctor Coleman and her specialty as well as her availability. And I think she did an amazing I really really did like her. When I stopped doing therapy, I wanted to come back to her, but she was overbooked. I was like, of course she is. She just she's just good and she works a lot with trauma and survivors, and I thought that was so important. And also she works with the queer community as well as a lot of marginalized communities. And it was not all these things that were like, yeah, this is the requirement, let's let's have this on top of the fact that therapy has kind of has changed, like that was the beginning of telehealth. Yeah, honestly, like at the forefront of it, I think better help was coming, but it wasn't accessible to everyone. And not that we're not that's not an ad, that's not a sponsor. We know there's a lot of problems with it. You need to be very very careful of who you pick and choose for your therapy, and you need to be able to shop around, like that's a worldwide truth when it comes to therapists in general, and you have to find someone who was specialized for you. But all of that to say is that that's one of the things that we wanted to talk about, how to find a good thing therapist, what it looks like to have good therapy, and the fact that sometimes you just get stuck, and not all of it's going to be emotional. Some of it is emotional. I think both of ours were emotional for two different reasons, but we wanted to also be the example and what that therapy session may look like. And doctor Coleman was a trooper. I swear like she was like, let's go, and she she was making sure that we were okay throughout the process as well, and I love that. But I think that honestly was the beginning of like, Okay, you've been through this trauma thing, this was your response, and this is where we are, and this is how we're talking about it as a society. Let's break this down a little bit. I don't think it was like from my job, my introduction to podcasts. I felt comfortable in that it was at least in my field right. I don't think I could have come in talking about religious trauma, because that's a whole different conversation, you know, like coming in and having that kind of break down and having a moment to be like, Okay, yes, this is something I know. This is something that I've seen. And I can talk to you about grooming as a professional because I've seen it. I can tell you what it looks like. I've experienced that you've experienced it. But let's talk about the professional level. Let's talk about c SEC or the commercially sexually explorted children and what that looks like. And we need to have this better view of trafficking because this and I hate the word romanticizing, but it is kind of a romanticizing of what sex trafficking looks like today and the fact that we need like no, no, no, no, no, we need to have a true breakdown of what this looks like because it's an intersectional issue that people don't want to see. People just see victims. Oh no, help the victims. And it's all poor white children, poor white women who just got kidnapped. And that's like sometimes that happens, sure, but that's the majority of the case. And this is an intersectional issue, which oftentimes is like dropped by the justice system because they of that one type and do not believe any other types exist, which is a problem. So all these things were like, these are so important, let's just build on it. So I got so excited because these are things that I have dealt with but didn't have a platform to talk about or talk through. So I feel like that was a good introduction, a heavy introduction, but good for me, especially as I was like stepping away from actual practice into like this medium, which was and I think I joked about this before because Caroline a long time ago, and I sat on her patio. I was crying it on her patio because I was distraught because a I was making thirty two thousand, No, at that point, there was maybe twenty nine thousand a year living in Atlanta and not knowing how to move on from all the debt that I had trying to do social work, as well as the fact that I could not imagine anything else because I had that guilt that I had to help everyone, help the children, help the marginalized. I have to help them, and that meant sacrificing my mental health, my physical health. So all of that and sitting there and she kind of was like, you want to do podcasting? And I was like, no, oh my god, I could never. Like I actually said that to her jump cut to cut too, like literally five years later, I'm like, yeah, I think I do. Actually, I'll just take yours s takes. I'm just kidding, but like having this conversation because I could not imagine what that looked like, being an advocate without sacrificing my physical and mental well being, and then coming to that, to being introduced into a platform, to this platform and being able to talk about and correct misinformation, hopefully correct some disinformation, and then also bring awareness to this with you, like with you having me having all the facts and the research behind it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking back at it, it's we did. We did a great job of finding people to talk to. We had amazing interviews, cutting those interviews together across this thirteen episode mini series, but also being we gave those facts, but we also gave kind of the the emotional part of it are our own personal part of it. And one of the reasons why it stands out to me is that if you're asking, well, why don't you do that anymore? Is because it took forever, like we started working on it months before it came out, and when you have a show that publishes as much as we do, that can be impossible. Are very very difficult to do because at the time we didn't know Samantha was going to stay on.
Speaker 2: So oh, apparently I did because I was pushing real hard.
Speaker 1: You did. You kept joking about it, and you know, I that's not to say I love what we do now, It's just like the realities of our workload is different. It's different.
Speaker 2: Literally when from two episodes a week to five to six as well as your one episode would saver two two yep, everything double tripled since then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I think, you know, we there are ways we could maybe do it again in the future. I'm just it would be difficult. It would be really difficult. But when I think about this, it also really did change my life. I mean, not only did I get you, yeah, but I did. That was kind of my first therapy, like actual sticking with therapy for for a long time. And then there are just so many things things that I think about that I still think about that I learned from that from that mini series. There are people I still think about people that we interviewed that I still just stuck with me obviously because when I did the rape Kit chapter, I referenced it because that was so that was such a powerful episode to me. And then we talked about like hiking. I still think about that interview we did. They're still around, we should be back in. We should read Jessica. I think she's in Florida now though, well you know the podcast it back.
Speaker 2: Would we still have to play that game with Renee, I know Suffragetto. Yeah, yes, maybe we'll do a long running series on something less dramatic and just be games and we just play them.
Speaker 1: I would love that. I would love that. Somehow we would make it dramatic. I don't know how.
Speaker 2: I'm really good at that.
Speaker 1: We are well anyway. Also, I just want to shout out before I forget, because we don't say it enough. But when Christina came on much at later, Christina, you have been amazing and valuable. We love you. Every person we've worked with has been so great and listening. I remember after I did my therapy thing, Andrew came in and like sat with me for a minute, like so very kind. People were lucky to do because these topics can be really difficult. And I will say one of the things when I think back now is that I, first of all, didn't know I was a sexual yet when we did this, I think I was starting to think maybe, but I didn't know that. So that has really changed. And some of the stuff I talk about in those like personally have my understanding of them have shifted because of that. Another thing I will say is that, and I know I said this in the Trauma Mini series, but I some things I like, I'm afraid people had come from a small town, they would know who I was talking about, right, And I was kind of living under this hope no one will find it and no one will listen to it if they do, which I think is sort of showing how I never use social media but like everyone else does, which is, you know, fine. But it was when my mom read the book. Actually, the thing that scared me more than her reading the book was she would listen to this mini series. So I think what I talk about in here is I hate to compare traumas in my life, but I think when I talk about and here scarred me way worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she would.
Speaker 1: Be more upset by that, and so after she was like, oh, I should go listen to your podcast, and I was like, please don't, please, don't, please don't. So I think that is one of the things that I'm glad that we did it. There's nothing I regret, but some nights I lay awake thinking about it. Right.
Speaker 2: I remember having that conversation with you about who's going to listen and both of us having a moment of like, oh my god, what if have parents listen? But between the two of us, your parents are more likely to listen than mine, your mother specifically, And it was also before your father's death. I remember thinking that it was around your father's death, but it wasn't hadn't happened yet, so you still had a lot of that trauma lingering over you as well, and the relationships with some of your family members were rocky even then. I'm like, I know it's still constant, but like you've gotten leaps and bounds into where you were then versus and especially with like you be able to talk to them, to where you are today. And again, like part of that was your sexuality and trying to figure all that out, which I was learning with you. I was like, oh, I thought I knew. Apparently I didn't because you I think you said it to me actually on one day the couch thing, and I was like, oh, geese nine. I was like, this is what it is, right, and you were like, you didn't want to tell me I was wrong. But after we started, I was like, oh, I was hong, okay, cool, cool.
Speaker 1: You're like wow.
Speaker 2: And then growing through that because I think you were trying to figure all of that out, like, and that's something we talk about in here about coping and good coping and coming to being the survivor what that looks like, but trying to decipher what was trauma, what is something that it's just you, like that's part of your identity, and you were really having a kind of a come to I guess I'm trying to figure out because it wasn't like dramatic, but understanding that just because there's trauma related to that doesn't mean it negates that identity. Like all these things were swirling. I remember with you trying to get to that point, and like part of that is also discovering still a lot of that and also about the fluidity of it all, which is awesome because like spectrums are better, you know, in conversations when we talk about all of that, and then finding identity is also a gloring thing. It's like it was a whole process, and I'm glad I got to stick around because I wouldn't have been able to see that because even though we were talking, you were still hinting at it in the Trauma series. It didn't come out till much later and all like, oh, I'm learning, I've learned a lot, still learning a lot. I love that and finding that journey in itself because we did we got to examine a lot about ourselves, but also being able to be clinical about it a little bit. Having that data was a good separation and also like a validation in what we were trying to feel here out.
Speaker 1: I believe one of the people we interviewed called it mesearch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they did, You're right, which is great, which is a great reference to what we did. And I'm proud of what we did. I think I'll look at that series is more of like, yeah, that that defined us as a show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm proud of it too. And the thing we joke about it a lot on here, but it's absolutely true. There's a running joke the podcasters prayers, please don't judge me for my first fifty episode, which you know sounds like a lot, But you came in never doing this before, and this was what we tackled, and you did a great job. And I, like, I thought I was worried I would look back and be proud but still be like oh, But instead I was like, you know, yeah, we were still nervous kind of. I don't think you could really hear it, but I could tell just based on for me how anxious I was like, because you never know how someone's going to react to something like that and what messages you're going to get. And by the way, you listeners are amazing.
Speaker 2: Right, That was the other part of this. It was like I came in not knowing how to do this, and I think immediately I was like, I need a vocal coach and I need to acting coach. Who are and I still haven't like obvious, But the amount of people who are criticizing me was so overwhelming, but the amount of people who were backing me was just conquered all of that, Like the people who are longtime listeners who were supporting me then and signing in so excited you're on, so glad you got to stay. We loved your portion like that outdid the criticism for the most part. Like of course I'm still always like the self esteem issues. But having the listeners, you listeners really backing what we were doing and seeing where we were coming from and understanding and empathizing with what we were trying to show in a time that felt really really rocky, and it was Trump era. I mean, it was a rough time and we were all broken, and we wanted to talk about something that the reason why things like his presidency, his actions and his supporters' actions were so traumatic, and why things like the trauma series, trigger warnings therapy were so important, and so having people who understood that, Yes, we lost, we lost some, that's how it happens, but we gained so much more and the people who had always stood by us to the people who discovered us like it was it was. It felt like a victory and it was so uplifting that it kept us going and it makes us make keeps us going to have conversations and honest conversations like this and not feel afraid. We talked about in cells. Oh my god, I know a few times.
Speaker 1: I know. Yeah, yeah, podcasting can feel really lonely sometimes just because it's you and me Samantha coming from our homes over computer and you put it out there and you're like, I don't know, People like is it good? If is it worth anything? And I can hear you saying like you should put some value in your own work, and I do, but it's nice to have someone else be like, yes, that's had some value to me, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, but to be honest, when it comes to podcasting, we're not doing this for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, exactly.
Speaker 2: It can't be that way. If it's that way, of course, we are selfishly picking things that are of interest to us or things that that affects us as marginalized people's and then talking about it because we want to talk about it because we think it's important bringing people who have things that they need to say, have things that they need to share.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But the podcast is like there's ownership by the listeners, and it should be that way that we want you to tell us if something is wrong, or if something is a misinformation, or if something is something that you feel like you can't find and you need us to look deeper into it, or if you love it and you want us talk about it so we can highlight it. We love that. Like that's the fact of the matter is it is lonely and sometimes I forget what we do because I'm like, oh, yeah, this is my job. But to have the listeners, you our family, essentially the Smanty family come back with. But these are the things that are also important to us. That is the bigger picture, and we have to be a part of that bigger picture.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And yeah, just thank you yeah to everyone who supported us on that that mini series on Samantha's coming on.
Speaker 2: I mean that was a true to us. I'm like, if you can stick this out, then we're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you. I'm so glad Samantha this worked.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm very grateful. Happy podcast aversary.
Speaker 1: Happy podcast diversary to you. We didn't get each other gifts, alas, there's still.
Speaker 2: Time special time. Yeah, technically we have one more day because today is the twenty first of March.
Speaker 1: As we record. Yes. Well, also I'm not too picky. If it's close enough, whatever, well, it will work it out.
Speaker 2: Technically, you still have a Christmas present for me, right then, just say that's the anniversary problem.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no no, I would never.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think we probably will do a playlist of that Trauma mini series soon. I think that'd be a good idea, yes, to bring it back. But in the meantime, Truly listeners, thank you so much. Whether you're Newish Oldish listener, as a new when you found the podcast, older you've been around for a while with the podcast. Either way, we appreciate you so much. We're happy to have you and you mean you mean the world to us. So thank you. If you would like to contact us about anything, you can our emails stephaniea mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff I've Never told you. We have a tea public store, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks to always too, our super producer Christina, our executive producer Maya, and our Concurtor Joey.
Speaker 2: Thank you, we love you, We.
Speaker 1: Love you so much, and thanks to you for listening Stuff I Ever told you. Protection of my Heart Radio for more podcast from my Heart radio. You can check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts wherever you listen to your favorite shows.