Speaker 1: So yeah, one Sunday, the gang somebody beat this guy up so bad and he ran into our congregate. Our church was jam packed. He ran in the lobby but naked bleeding. He had got me on Sunday morning, Sunday restrict him and we were like, okay, we gotta do something.
Speaker 2: Welcome to an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Courtney, I'm a normal guy. I'm a husband, I'm a father, I'm an entrepreneur, and I've been a football coach in inner City of Memphis. And the last part it unintentionally led to an oscar for the film about our team. It's called Undefeated. Y'all. I believe our country's problems will never be solved by a bunch of fancy people in nice suits talking big words that nobody understands on seeing in a box, but rather an army of normal folks USh, just you and me deciding, Hey, I can help. That's what Pastor Corey Brooks the voice we just heard is done. Corey started a church in the third most violent neighborhood of Chicago, and the work of his church in nonprofit project Hood has helped improve the neighborhoods so that it's now the fifteenth most violent one and they're just getting started. I can't wait for you to meet Corey. Right after these brief messages from our Jenner sponsors, Pastor Corey Brooks all the way from Chicago. Welcome to Memphis, brother, Thank you appreciate it. I'm glad to be here. I was flight down it was great. You know.
Speaker 1: I love Tennessee, so coming to Memphis is a lessons so I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 2: It's almost a homecoming of sorts. Almost.
Speaker 1: I'm about sixty miles from Memphis. I was born in a little town called Union City, Tennessee, but we actually lived in Kenton, Tennessee, population then of about fifteen hundred. That's up around Obuying and mckibyan County, that's right, and an Oby County kid. Yeah, so home of the white squirrel. It's one of the only places in America that I know of that has white squirrels. I tell everybody all the time that I didn't even know squirrels were different colors. And I can remember when we moved to Indiana, my first little fight on the playground was about a squirrel. You know, I was arguing with this kid. Hey, this squirrel, that's not a squirrel. He was as a brown little thing. I didn't know what it was. I thought it was a rat or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Up there, they've got this albino gene in the square. Yes, how long you grew up there? Right?
Speaker 1: So? Yeah, I was born in Union City, Tennessee, and we moved to Mounsey, Indiana, when I was about ten or eleven. And so I grew up in Munsey, Indiana, And that's where I went to high school. That's where I went to college fall ball State. Right about the Cardinals, Yes, sir, I.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not. I have a friend played football for Boss. So yeah, so years ago. I don't think he was any good. So no count talk about. But that's how I know Ball State's up there.
Speaker 1: And David Letterman, David Letterman, Yeah, he's the most famous graduate of ball State University.
Speaker 2: Dad, and he grew up somewhere around there. I think Indianapolis. Oh that's right. I think you're right. Yeah, that's right. All right, So mom, dad tell me about it. My dad.
Speaker 1: I didn't really know my dad too well. I tell people I probably saw my dad about five times. He was from Union City and even though I lived sixteen miles in Kenton, I didn't have a relationship with him and didn't know him very well. My mom just recently died about a year and a half ago of cancer. But she was a great woman and worked really hard. Made sure I went to church every Sunday. And you know, even when I didn't want to go, she made me go. And that was part of the deal. If you stay in her house, you got to get up and go to church on Sunday morning. So and I'm glad she did, even though I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad she did. How many of you were there? Three of us, all three of you.
Speaker 1: All three of us, Yeah, all three of us gonna be in a few There's a about a twelve year gap between me and my younger my younger brothers, So I was kind of like the babysitter as well. Bet so did your mom remarry My mom remarried to my stepfather, who got addicted to drugs. Really wasn't doing very good when I was a teenager growing up. He wasn't a good wasn't a good man, but thankfully got saved and got a relationship with the Lord changed his life. And he's been drug free now, probably for about thirty years.
Speaker 2: But your experience growing up with him was he was a drug addict.
Speaker 1: Yeah, experience drawing up with him was horrible. Uh, he was a drug addict. Always a bunch of drama in our house, so I remember it very well. And dysfunction, drama, heartache, hardship, all that goes along with all that stuff. So you know that on a personal basis, I know it on a personal base. I think that's I don't think I know that's one of the reasons why my heart is so sensitive toward individuals, especially in Chicago, who are in those kinds of situations. If you come to our church, you'll find me always around the kids or people who come from similar background. So I guess my heart is just kind of turned that way.
Speaker 2: I understand. My dad left when I'm a home when I was four, Mom was married and divorced five times, and you know, the vast majority of the things I've done and work in the community has been with kids who primarily come from that situation. I think we're it's odd, but I think we're drawn to our own trauma. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I think there's a passive scripture in Roma's eight twenty eight. It's my favorite. It talks about how we know that all things work together for good to then the Lord, who are called according to his purpose. And even I believe now, even all the trauma, heartache, hardship, even though it hurt, and even though it was a tough experience, God used it to my advantage. You know, I think calling is very sensitive toward all the people that I deal with.
Speaker 2: Because of my upbringing, I think that only makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Your upbringing. You may have been in church every Sunday, but you were an acchoir boy. Oh no through Saturday. No sense. So tell me about kind of who you were as a as a teen and kind of coming.
Speaker 1: So you know, as a teenager, I knew I was called to preach at like fourteen.
Speaker 2: Now I read that you have a heck, you know, a fourteen years old your quote called to preach? Well, you know you ain't calling yourself nothing but a street hit.
Speaker 1: Well, when you go to church all the time, you know you have some idea of at least I believe you have some idea of a sense of purpose in calling. That's nudging you, that's pushing you. As you know, some people will call it conscious. I was very aware of my spiritual conscious and so at fourteen I kind of fell lad like, think I'm supposed to be a preacher. But the problem I despise preachers. I did not want to be a preacher. I hated you know what, why'd you just have driving? Chicken eating? That's what that was. That was my concept, my mindset. These preachers had these big cats. They just said, who's Brian. Oh, Brian is my assistant, our chief of staff. He grew up in our church. He's since he was about thirteen five.
Speaker 2: Well, if y'all hear a background laugh, Brian, Brian, So what's up? Welcome to show. Yeah, usually I got to put up with Alex do in the background. So I got two of you now, so I actually I got Alex right right right, So if you'll hear a background laugh, right, So now you talk two of them, Yeah, both underpaid and both irritating having good interview so much. All right, So you didn't like preachers because of chicken eating?
Speaker 1: That's all I got out of what you bro You know I was about that was my mind said. I thought, you know, these preachers, they just want to have you know these advents with food and drive Cadillacs. It was a bad perception of what I thought a preacher was.
Speaker 2: Well, but let's be look, they weren't doing much in the community. And so I here and we are very candid. Yeah, I mean, I gotta be careful because I'm a white dude, and if I don't say this properly, people are going to color me the wrong way. But it's not just a perception in urban areas. Yeah, there are some situations where pastoring a church is more of a profession than a calling. Yeah, and that's what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, And I just did not want to be a preacher, and so I did everything I could to rebel against that whole mindset, that whole concept. So fourteen to nineteen, I was partying, drinking, sex and anything I could do to like not be in tune with church. Still in Muni Yeah, still in Munsey, Indiana, smoking weed, smoking weed, Although I tell my son, I didn't do that much weed smoking. I did a lot of beer drinking. Thought it, especially when I found out my junior year, I think it was my junior or somephomore year, I was a real skinny kid and They told me I needed to gain some weight. And I remember seeing a minute bowl in the Jet magazine on a beer diet and they was using it to game.
Speaker 2: Wait, that's all the excuses I need. But the chicken eating would have helped too. So the chicken eating would have helped tremendously. Chicken and beer. So in Memphis, the man who I would say was maybe the most influential pastor in my life. It's man named Tim Russell. He's from the Northeast. He's passed now. He died in COVID and I loved him, still love him. I still will have his text messages on my phone that I refused to erase, and sometimes when I'm in a bad spot, I will pull up his text and just read them as encouragement. I love that man. Anyway. He was president at Geneva College at one time, and he came to Memphis. He became an associate pastor of our church. But he came to Memphis specifically originally to be the chair of the Memphis Center for Urban Theological seminary called Imcuts. And what it was was a bunch of folks got together and said, you know what, there's a lot of really well intentioned churches and pastors in their cities, but a lot of those guys had in those churches hadn't been afforded a true seminary education, and so there's a lot of preaching from the Old Testament, there's a lot of firm brimstone, but there's a little bit of theology you missing in some of it. And we don't want to doubt them, you know, we want to help them. So they started this Memphis Center for Urban Theological Seminary where they offered opportunity for urban preachers to come in and get true theological seminary training to then go back with their churches to hopefully grow a Christian narrative beyond what their limitations had been. And in large part it was pretty successful. But when I hear you talk about what you were put off by, it sounds something like some of that. Yeah, Yeah, it was something like that.
Speaker 1: The whole idea and concept that here you had these guys who were in the community, but they weren't really at least the ones I saw at that time, they weren't really helping the community. Until I came across a pastor that I love to this day, very Dealey has demensia now, but he's my pastor, and I still treated me like a son.
Speaker 2: His name is Willie J.
Speaker 1: Jackson, who also drove a Cadillac. But he was man reverent and loved the Lord and loved people.
Speaker 2: And when I saw that, I was like, Okay, that's who I wanted to be when I was thinking fourteen years old. Yeah, and now a few messages from our general sponsors. But first, I hope you'll subscribe to an army of normal folks wherever you listen to podcasts, so that every episode shows up in your library each week. And if you haven't already, please rate and review us so that more normal folks can discover their army. Thanks for listening today, we'll be right back. We now returned to Pastor Brooks graduating from Ball State with a degree in political science. He thought that he also wanted to be a lawyer, but in his first year of law school, he realized that he really needed to be in seminary. And after graduating from Dallas Theological Pastor Brooks was off to the races with his new calling.
Speaker 1: So I started passing a little bit small church in Richmond, Indiana. I was there for an internship and over the summer when the pastor died. So while I was there, the pastor died, and you know, I had every intention on going back to Dallas, and they came to me and was like, hey, would you be our pastor? You know, and I was like, oh wow. So I thought about it and I made the commitment. So I was like, I might as well. So at twenty two years old, twenty three, get me returned. Twenty three, I started pastoring the Mount Mariah Baptist Church in Richmond, Indiana.
Speaker 2: Not enough experience, not enough wisdom, but it's funny. At twenty three years old, they let me practice on them. At twenty three years old, I got my first head football coach. Well you and I showed it. I showed up as just a football coach. In two weeks before the first game, the head coach said I'm out, deuces, I got a better job out and they look at me and said you're yeah yeah. So when I say not enough experience of wisdom to run a church, absolutely I didn't have the experience of wisdom runner football team either.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you fake it. You fake it till you make it. And that's exactly what I was doing, you know, But you grew up quick. You grew up quick. And whenever I get a chance to go back there, I always tell them how much I appreciate them letting me grew up in front of them and let me make all kinds of mistakes and let me be arrogant, and you know, teaching me and loving me through all of that was It was a great experience. And then when I got married, it was even a greater experience because they loved me and my wife dearly.
Speaker 2: It wasn't an all black church.
Speaker 1: It was an all black church. We had a few white members, but it's predominantly it's predominantly black church.
Speaker 2: I asked that because I said to you before we got on, I think it's reprehensible that we call ourselves Christians and are called to be christ Like, and we allow Sunday to be the most segregated day in our country. I don't mean that as a cut to you being at an all black church, no more than I grew up in an all white church. I just it's so infrequent that we actually talk about really diverse churches, and it's unfortunate.
Speaker 1: It's very unfortunate, And you know, even though I pass on the South side of Chicago.
Speaker 2: I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Speaker 1: One of the things that it pains me dearly is that we don't have more experiences where we come together as people of different races. I really, you know, I would love to pastor multi racial church. And to this point, now we're considering trying to have We got all these Venezuela migrants who are right in our neighborhood, and they come to us every day for help, and so we're helping as many as we can. So we are we're contemplating, Hey, maybe we should have a Spanish speaking worship service because they're now starting to come to our church and now they're listening to me, but they don't even speak English some of the most parts. So you know, it pains me that that there's so much segregation in church and that I wish there were more experiences where all of us come together, because I think that's the height of what Christianity is really supposed to be about.
Speaker 2: So you leave there and you go to.
Speaker 1: I leave Richmond, Indiana, and I go to the most traditional Baptist church in all of the world, West Point Baptists. The West Point Baptist Church, the bastion of the I'm about twenty six, So.
Speaker 2: You're twenty six up in Chicago and you go to this real traditional Baptist church called West Point Baptist. Tell me about it.
Speaker 1: So you know West Point Baptist Church. They it was made up of a lot of teachers, lawyers, more of a in the words of my grandfather from Tennessee, he would call it a high cotton church.
Speaker 2: One of them high cotton churches. He didn't know what it is. I didn't know where's she? Where are you from? I'm from Chicago, but my family is from his mother good. Well, you know it's all about yeah, okay, go ahead. So so you know when I'm at this high cotton church in Chicago and uh, and I'm not fit too good. I'm not fitting in too good. You know.
Speaker 1: They loved me at first, but I really had a heart toward reaching people who were unchurched. The church ironically was on the edge of the projects a lot of I found out later that a lot of people who probably had grown up in the projects when if the college become professional, but they still came to this church. And so it was made up of an older congregation. I really started going after the young people in the neighborhood, and the church was growing by leaps and bounds. But even though it was growing, it was it was such an internal fight going on that I tried to shield people who were new to church. I tried to shield them away from it, but it was obvious they felt like we were taking over their church.
Speaker 2: They didn't want you tearing up the neighborhood. Yeah, they didn't want me to tearing up the neighborhood. They didn't want me tearing up the neighborhood, and they didn't want to mean in their church. Ironically, I mean, in all candor, that's prejudiced, yeah, without doubt. But it's economic prejudice. It's economic prejudice because we're not talking about prejudice educational economic prejudice exactly, which I'm so glad you used that phrase, because that exists and that ain't got nothing to do with white and black folks. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, I tell people all the time that I really think the biggest prejudices that we face today.
Speaker 2: Is not color, but economics and education. Culture. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Culture, We're so divided because of those things, more so than color, And I think we find, you know, you'll find poor blacks and poor whites saying and poor people period saying the same things.
Speaker 2: So we know after hearing this that you leave and we'll go to where you leave, but we're going to take a detour real quick, sent sure political science, Okay, all right. One of my big beliefs is that Fox, CNN, CNBC News Mix, all of those folks are incented by an enormous amount of wealth and power to craft narratives that divide us. And I think DC is full of a lot of lobbies politicians. I mean New York and DC is the cradle of finance and power. Throw in Chicago, in LA. But New York and d C are the leaders of the pack. That's where we get our media, that's where we get our news from, that's where we get our policy from. And it's also piled with an enormous amount of influence, power and wealth. But narratives that come out of there are also crafted to divide us, scare us, to convince us that if you don't side with me on Fox or CNN, and you don't side with me on Republican or Democrats, this is what the big bag ugly people on the other side are going to do to ruin your right. That happens in the church too, oh doubt, without a doubt, it happens all the time, you know.
Speaker 1: I think people are afraid of differences, and we magnify those differences so that people become even more afraid so they can stay the way they are and people don't have to grow and they don't have to build relationships. But I think the more meaningful way is to have dialogue, to have discussion. And I think when we even when we're on the left or the right, where the republic or a Democrat, if we have meaningful dialogue, meaningful discussion, regardless of we're Baptists or Presbyterian, if we sit down and talk, we're going to find out we have way more things in common than we do not in common. And I think sometimes we need to just let's focus on the things that we have in common. We don't have to fight about every single thing. And just because we disagree on a couple of things, that doesn't mean we can't come together and unify and solve some of the issues of the world that we all want to solve. And I think I think somehow, some way, we got to continue to try to fight to bring people together, regardless.
Speaker 2: Of what's your time at West Point Baptist Church is a microcosm of that narrative that was rejected.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was rejected totally. You know, the fact that you could be on the South Side of Chicago and not be welcome to reach out to people who are disenfranchised and disadvantaged and impoverished by black and by black.
Speaker 2: People making you feel that way.
Speaker 1: I had never witnessed that or experienced that, and to see it, I was dumbfounded. I was amazed that you could be in a black community and have elites not want to deal with certain individuals.
Speaker 2: But that's exactly what it was.
Speaker 1: And I think that experience has helped to craft some of the way I think about certain elites.
Speaker 2: Black elites. That is really, really profound. We'll be right back. I gotta tell a story. Yes, go ahead, I'm gonna do the reader's digest. At Leasta like shrimp, I was on the coast on a business trip. She told me to go get some shrimp, put it on ice, and bring it home because we're gonna have a shrimp bolk coast to Memphis five hours so I went to Target, got a thing, and I went got some ice, put it on there, and I went down to the docks to wait on the shrimp boats. You ever been on the docks and a wharf? Yes? You ever been there, Brian? You ever been on docks of the wharf? Yes? It stinks, yes, dish guts yeah, stagnant water. It's future. It makes you want to vomit. It smell so bad. Well, I found something distincts worse than the wharf. The fishermen. The boats show up and I'm waiting on my shrimp, and here they are. They've been out since sun up. Yeah, sundown coming up. They've been hit with sulfur everything, sweat, toothpaste and toothbrushers are more of a suggestion of environment, and don't smoke tupacs of marble red right, And they're repulsive. And so I'm at the suppulsive place around these repulsive people. But my wife told me, get shrimp. I'll do it, shrimp. So I'm headed home. I bot Jack's, Mississippi, which about halfway between the docks and Memphis, and the dawns on me. That's exactly who Christ surrounded himself. Wow, yeah, now what are we doing sitting in hogh cotton when there's people around us starving?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's that's that's kind of how I felt in that church. You know, all of these people are around, they're hurting, they're living in the projects. There's so much there's so much violence and so much chaos. But here we were in this church and everybody was happy just staying like they were and not reaching out to individuals.
Speaker 2: I couldn't. I couldn't stand it. And yeah, and your heart was there because that was your reality of your up brain. Absolutely. Yeah, So I moved.
Speaker 1: And you know, you don't see you don't see it at first, but as you get older, like I am now, you look back over the trauma as your childhood and you look back to where your heart is bent toward. You're like, man, thank you Lord, And I'm glad that God placed me in Chicago, because I tell people all the time, you know, I could have easily gone when you come around of Dallas and Graciologically, you could go anywhere in the country. You can go to the suburb church and have a nice picket fence and grow your family and have a nice place. But I thank God every day that he placed me on the South side of Chicago, and people they think I grew up there. They think it's so such a perfect fit. And I thank God because those are the individuals that I love the minister to. Those are the individuals that I love to be around. I can remember my wife used to get so angry. She's like, why are you around all these guys in gangs all the time. It's just a bunch of gangsters around. But that's who I felt led the minister to, and that's who God put me in front of, and I'm thankful for it.
Speaker 2: So West Point Baptist he went to.
Speaker 1: So I left West I said, you know what, I'm not going to fight them any longer. Let me let them have their church. I'm going to plan a church at Dallas. One of the first things I remembered they had a missions week. I didn't even know what missions was, and so they had a missions week. And during missions week, I went by this table and it was about church planning. And I had never heard of church planning. I heard the church splits, church fights, not church planning, and so so I would read about church planning, study about church planning. I was like, this is what I'm going to do. I'm going to plan a church. But when I got called the Mount Mariah and I got called the West Point, I thought, you know, that's what I'm supposed to do. Because at that time I never heard I didn't know any black pastors who were planning churches. But then when I had that experience at West Point, I was like, you know what, I'm going to do what I learned at Dallas. I'm going to plan a church and I'm going to try it. So I followed the little steps. I got me a little group together, called some of my buddies who were in Chicago, said Hey, I'm going to start a church. I talked about five people who were at the church with me and secretly told them what I was going to do. We started meeting as a little small group, and before you knew it, the little small group, we turned it into a church called New Beginning's Church of Chicago. We started meeting in a school, and I was able to go after those same people that they didn't want in their church, and it instantly started growing like crazy.
Speaker 2: I've always wondered how does a pastor feed his family when he's planning a church, Because there's not a whole lot of people given offerings, ties and everything else. Do you starve when you're doing it?
Speaker 1: Well, no, you starve a little bit. You don't have as much money. So I did work. You know, I've worked at the Athletic Athletes foot for like a year. My wife was a teacher.
Speaker 2: Was my question. So you're actually working, yeah, a job while you're also building a church. So I mean it's a taxing, it's hard work. It's an entrepreneurial endeavor. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: And plus I've always been a good store, even when I was passing the little bit church. I've always always always saved money and I've been good financially. God blessed me to to so you were able to at the weather I budget it. Let me just say that I know how to budget, and we knew how to sustain ourselves and survive off a little. We didn't have a lot, and we thank God for what we had, but we didn't we didn't need a lot at that time.
Speaker 2: Got it and so New Beginnings Church November two thousand and the heart of one of the most dangerous neighborhoods called Woodlawn. Yeah, tell me about Woodlawn.
Speaker 1: So Chicago is made up early history of the mobs, the mafia. You got all the mafia people, but not only mafia in Chicago. That's where a lot of gangs originated. So the Woodline area on the south side of Chicago is where all the gangs in Chicago started, specifically in like six yeah, the sixties. In the sixties, the Woodline area is where black gang started.
Speaker 2: So okay, and I was thinking, wise guys, you're saying the black gangs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but before that, al Capone's home was in the Woodlawn area.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So as those Italian brothers moved out and blacks moved in in the sixties, Blacks in the late sixties, that where gangs. A lot of gangs started right in Woodland. The Black Pea Stones they started there, the Gangster Disciples, the Black Disciples, all of those top gangs on the.
Speaker 2: South side of Chicago started in Woodlawn. And you blop a church down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we said, okay, where's the roughest area in Chicago on the south side, And everybody was like.
Speaker 2: Woodlawn, Woodlawn, Woodline.
Speaker 1: And at that time I hadn't I wasn't real familiar with Woodland, even though because I was in the Bronxbury area. I knew a little bit about it, and we started going visiting it, and I started telling people I wanted to plan a church. I went and talked to the aldermen in that area who's now a member of our present church, and I told her I wanted to put a church in her neighborhood. And she was really receptive, and she showed me some buildings and none of them really appealed. And then I met this gentleman. His name was Herman Roberts. He was one of the first black hotel owners in Chicago, and he had this place called the Roberts Show Club and Lounge, and had this old skating rink.
Speaker 2: And the skating rink was horrible.
Speaker 1: I mean by this time, by this time, this skating rink was a dump, emptied. It had been empty for like five years, and they were having I don't know if you're familiar with it, but they were having what they call rave parties. And so the white kids from the suburbs would come with the black kids in Woodland and they would have these rave parties at this abandoned building. That's what this skating ron does. That work out wonder it was. It was from what I hear, it was a very crazy scene.
Speaker 2: So mister Robert would taking these buildings without people knowing and just have like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they they just have a weekend parties. They do them now they have, you know, warehouses in Chicago where they have big parties and things like that, raves, pop up raves, pop up parties. I don't know what they call them now. But so that's what was going on. That's what was going this place. Yes, and you buy.
Speaker 2: We bought it.
Speaker 1: So everybody was like, didn't even have wire left in it was.
Speaker 2: There was no plumbing, it was no wires. It was it was.
Speaker 1: It was horrible, I mean horrible, but chee well, it really wasn't real cheap. Mister Roberts was a uh you know, he was he was different. So he made us pay five hundred thousand dollars for the building and and the and the property and uh but we had our church. We had saved up that amount of money, so we were able to acquire it and purchase it.
Speaker 2: But if it was a skating rink and bowling al a type thing, it was probably a rather large.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was large. It was a large it's for Chicago. It was a very large footprint, it had parking, it had space. It's you know, fifty thousand square feet in Chicago is a lot. And then they have some some parking. That's even remarkable. So we were able to get that building. And it was a mess, and we we we we gutted the whole building. We volunteered, our church volunteered, everybody volunteered. It took us months and many many dumpsters to empty that whole building out. Then we started, you know, trying to raise money to fix it up, and we finally were able to convince even how we convinced the bank to give us a loan was amazing, But we finally convinced the bank to give us a loan, and we fixed it up and now we thankfully we paid that loan off and we're Jebt free.
Speaker 2: What was do you remember the date of the first real live church service?
Speaker 1: So the first live worship service would have been two thousand and seven. Wow, so yeah, two thousand, so we started that's not that long. Oh no, So we started our church in two thousand. Two thousand and seven, we were in the skating ring. Yeah, we were, Yeah, we were we were we were having a church in the former skating ring Jesus.
Speaker 2: It was called a Route six.
Speaker 1: The skating ring was called Route sixty six, and so everybody was familiar with the skating rink and everybody was amazed that we were able to turn it into a church.
Speaker 2: Did people from the neighborhood start showing up?
Speaker 1: That's what happened, people, because everybody knew the building. People really started coming just to see, you know, what did they do with the skating rink? You know, out of curiosity. And then once they came out of curiosity or invitation, they really liked what we were doing. And we were really focusing on trying to reach unchurched people, people who had normally either been rejected by church, or turned off by church, or just totally left church.
Speaker 2: That's the group that we were like you as a kid didn't like Astris absolutely. And that concludes part one of my conversation with Pastor Corey Brooks, and you do not want to miss part two that's now available to listen to. Its Corey's transformative work and Woodlawn is just getting started. Together. Guys, we can change the country, and it starts with you. I'll see in Part two,