Speaker 1: Look at this motherfucker coming in here with tank tops on all greased up? Is that grease or is that your sweat greased up?
Speaker 2: Don't act like I put oil on.
Speaker 1: It looks like you're greasy. Man.
Speaker 2: That's just a shimmer of sunlight coming off my shoulder muscle.
Speaker 1: You greased up shoulders.
Speaker 2: I didn't put grease on. I didn't want you to stop saying that I put.
Speaker 1: Grease is the word, baby, don't be mad.
Speaker 2: I don't want you to think that. Right before the podcast, I apply oil to my body.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean they can see us now, so well.
Speaker 2: They can see us. Eventually they're going to be able to see all of it.
Speaker 1: Whoa, I'm so scared.
Speaker 2: Daniel is the only one in Joel with a really great looking camera. My camera it doesn't look good. Look at Look at how good Daniel's camera is. This is what I'm telling you that like, like, we're trying to make this show highly produced, and you and I still have the old fucking camera from the monitor camera great too.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, that's what he said. He said, Joel got the good camera down go the way.
Speaker 2: I saw a new thing you and I might like. I bought it and I thought we could test it because one thing I don't like about having an external, nicer camera is that I'm not looking at you guys. So this is a thing I saw online that it's it's a four K camera, but it sort of drops down like the cord kind of like hangs over the screen a bit. We're still looking at the people, but it's a higher quality camera that comes in the in the computer.
Speaker 3: Sounds nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought i'd try it out, and that way Donald might be more apt to upgrade as well, because.
Speaker 1: Well, I am going to the pet store today.
Speaker 2: Exactly, going to upgrade your pets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while out, perhaps I could stop buy a best Buy.
Speaker 3: Or a Oh okay, okay, I see like that.
Speaker 2: Now this thing's on the interweb. Donald, I don't think it's that best Buy, but I don't know. I'll try it out and see if it looks as good as Dan does. Because, as the audience knows, we were given cameras as good as Daniel's, but you started using yours for animation and seem reluctant to reset it up in the podcast setting.
Speaker 1: It was a little bit of a tricky setup. If you recall how we had to set it up. There was an HDMI cable involved, there was a different type of setting on the camera, and you know my mental capacity, it's just that's bandwidth, if I'm correct. I didn't have it at the time and might not have it right now, but eventually, because I know how important this podcast is, well.
Speaker 2: We have to be clear with each other now that we're going to be putting these on YouTube. Do we want it to look good or not?
Speaker 1: Because I definitely wanted to look good.
Speaker 2: But the podcasts of people who take it seriously and they're so beautifully shot. Now, granted most of those people are in studios and they and they're in person with their guests, and ours is all over zoom, but still look at people and they have a nice camera, they have nice lighting, they have a backdrop. I don't know if we're ever going to get to that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we're good like that. Okay, well, I don't know if that's our thing, you know what I mean? I think our thing is this is our thing. I mean, I think this is way more raw earth than a big difference.
Speaker 2: Donald. It's just about changing your camera to a camera that looks as good as Daniel's.
Speaker 1: I don't like Daniel's camera and I don't like Joel's camera. I'm just gonna be honest with you, guys. I like you to looks.
Speaker 2: I don't have the bandwidth for this conversation. How are you? How are you, Joel? You look very pretty today.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Sach. That's very kind of you.
Speaker 1: Guys. Up to what have you been doing? I've been animating. I don't know about you. What have you been doing?
Speaker 2: You know you've been animating. You post a lot, You've been posting up a storm. I see on the Instagram lots of.
Speaker 1: Stories trying to get nice with it. But you know what, I haven't up with lots of stories. It's just I got nostalgic. All of a sudden. I went through my Instagram for the first time, and I saw all of these things, and I was like how many? In my head, I was like, how many golf? There was a golf phase. Obviously, I didn't realize my golf phase was that fucking big.
Speaker 2: You really went deep on golf.
Speaker 1: I went deep into golf, and it was so big that after a while I was like, all right, this might be way too many golf story posts for I didn't know.
Speaker 2: What is happening, because you really you put as many posts up as one possibly could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I thought maybe.
Speaker 2: He's high and nostalgic. Was I right?
Speaker 1: Somebody absolutely, somebody asked me, have you been hacked? He's like, no, no, I'm good.
Speaker 2: I know you well enough to know that you were probably stoned.
Speaker 1: And this out of my mind, out of my mind.
Speaker 2: By the way, I ran into Seth Green and Breck and Meyer, your buddies. Where'd you run into the Matson Nabel?
Speaker 1: Would you? Motherfucker? You went to Austin Abel.
Speaker 2: Yea Asinebo for those of you who don't live in the Los Angeles area, is a really really good sushi restaurant. And I went there and I saw them on a double date together.
Speaker 1: They were there with their wives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they were. They didn't ask you, they didn't invite you.
Speaker 1: They know better. They know I don't go out.
Speaker 2: They know that you don't leave your house to go to restaurants.
Speaker 1: I know. They were like, he's probably at home animated.
Speaker 2: But I haven't seen Seth in a while, so it was nice to see him and say.
Speaker 1: Hello, Yeah, how's Housenebo? I haven't been Amazi if you.
Speaker 2: Guys ever go there at Jowel or Daniel never been, but no regretting it.
Speaker 3: I haven't been there yet.
Speaker 2: It's in the valley, it's the CBS Radford and it's in a strip mom. And you wouldn't think that it doesn't from the outside look like it's going to be an amazing sushi restaurant, but it really is. It's one of my favorites.
Speaker 4: And I.
Speaker 1: Used to go there all the time and I would stand and wait because I would never have a reservation. That used to be my jam.
Speaker 2: Bill Lawrence introduced it to me.
Speaker 1: Actually he introduced it to all of us. Actually, yeah, early on in Scrubs too, really early on in Scrubs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's it was one of Bill's favorites too. Were you gonna ask Standel, what was your bite of the night? Oh, it's hard to say. They just do they do. They do this blackened miso cod.
Speaker 1: That was the first place I ever had that too. I think, what is that crab roll? What is that crab roll that comes with the tiny little crabs on the plate and you can eat them like fried and you can eat the whole crab itself like it's like a little No, that shit is not. It's like a little tiny baby crab and they fry that ship and then you put that ship in your mouth and you're eating a whole crab. Is delicious, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But they also do these like lettuce cups of Chilean sea bass. It's really really good if.
Speaker 1: You're into if you're into raw fish or cooked fish.
Speaker 2: They have everything.
Speaker 1: From what I remember, Austin was amazing. I've been catched soup.
Speaker 2: He used to have a Michelin star. Actually really, I guess Michelin stars come out every year because they have some plaques. They have plaques on the wall from having Michelin Stars, but they're not the current year. But they had one.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I wonder there must be such a bummers.
Speaker 2: You get a Michelin Star and you're so geeked and then someone takes it away, Like what if we didn't change anything?
Speaker 1: Rest yearly? Is it a year?
Speaker 3: It's a year the annual list that Michelin. Yes, the tire company drops of their global favorite restaurants and stars rank from one to three. And A joy of living in the LA Area is we have so many. It's one of my favorite pastime.
Speaker 2: I think I read that the reasons. I always wondering why is the tire company have this like mega list of restaurants? And I think it began to inspire people to travel and thus wear out their tires and try new restaurants.
Speaker 3: It's brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm all for a Michelin star restaurant.
Speaker 2: I'll tell yeah. Now, ones ones are rare, but like they get more rare as you go up right, Like a three is super rare.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I want to eat at a three? Have you ever eaten at a three?
Speaker 2: I don't think I have ever eaten at a three? Maybe I have? What's that? What's that? Super fancy restaurants like.
Speaker 1: Uh mouthing and Noma. We're not even talking about the food.
Speaker 2: What's her Name's famous female chef Joelle. Are you looking it up?
Speaker 3: I'm trying. Yeah, not Renee REEPI.
Speaker 2: No, it's in like it's in like the Bay area, And if you say the name, I'll know it. She's a very famous female chef. I'm going to talk tomorrow for Amanda's birthday.
Speaker 3: No, that's exciting. Are you surprising? Amanda? Does she know you're going to be there?
Speaker 2: Amanda knows I'm going to be it's her birthday show on the Talk they always make a big deal out of that. And I'm going to go talk to Amanda and give her love. And I'm going to plug the French girl.
Speaker 1: There's no time facts, real friends.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna plug fake doctors, real friends.
Speaker 1: Because we're rebranding people.
Speaker 2: We're rebranding well, no, it's the same show. We're just gonna run.
Speaker 1: Out of the Scrubs episodes.
Speaker 2: By the way, speaking of that, I have to say that I'm shocked to say I laughed a lot watching this episode.
Speaker 1: Of course you did. Of course it's a funny one. Of course I want to.
Speaker 2: I just want to. I feel like I should eat crow because I gotta tell the audience. I laughed a lot watching this episode. And Joel wrote no notes that Donald was very funny in this episode. I didn't know why she didn't say I was really I'm.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Zach, you were also very fun I highlight it's a very funny.
Speaker 2: Moment, Joelle. The note specifically said, and you know Donald's means these I do. The note specifically said Donald is very funny in this episode.
Speaker 3: I was it was funny because usually you don't see Donald as like a secondary character. It's a room just constantly popping up and just landing joke after I was like, this is so a new space for him and it's very funny and I could have watched you just be a teacher in the background for forever. Hilarious.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Joel. I want to say something. I did not think the show was funny at all. Controversy. I like the fact, I like the fact that we're in the show and stuff like that, but it just didn't. It was like it just didn't connect. What the fuck is Kelso doing at the bar? What the like? There's just so many moments at the bar. What No, But it just didn't It didn't make any I don't know, man, it was also an alcoholic and he yeah, I know, I'm sure you can piece it together logically and stuff like that. It just seemed like everything was really convenient in this episode. And I've seen this episode before with you know, Sandy Chapman doing this character. It just seemed like the same shit over again.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And it's not like we got new people watching Scrubs, So when rewid I've seen this episode maybe four times now in the whole entirety and so in that and saying that no disrespect to anybody in it and everybody. It just seemed like the same show all right.
Speaker 2: Well, much like the people that Joelle has debate at the end of the show whether it's season nine is good or not. We will get into it.
Speaker 1: Stories that show we made about a bunch of dogs, said, he's a stories new.
Speaker 3: So YadA, YadA, all right.
Speaker 2: One thing I noticed is that the show this is for you film geeks out there, The show has moved to video and to compensate, they've added this grain effect to make it look like film. But it's way too much. And for those of you who noticed that kind of thing, this is like this was in the early stages of HD video and they've really added a fake grain effect to the whole show to make it seem like as sixteen million film. Anyway, I noticed that for the first time today. This is Season nine, Episode.
Speaker 1: Two, directed by Mike McDonald.
Speaker 2: Directed by Mike McDonald, who's a very funny man. So Drew is forced to wear a number one at all times on his chest because doctor Cox is obsessed with embarrassing him, but also he decided to go all in on Drew being his favorite intern.
Speaker 1: Did it feel weird that doctor Cox still called JD. Newby in the beginning.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's a brand forever. He's been branded that way forever. Okay, you didn't laugh when I say you're dangerous? Aided you. But you listened to rap music.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, you did because he wrote it in your notes.
Speaker 4: I liked it.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Drew is dangerous. He listens to rap music. And I noticed that the college is called Winston University after Randall Winston. Did you notice that.
Speaker 1: I was wondering what kind of college is this and how and if there is? Like this is the thing Scrubs went from totally believable to this ultimate fantasy world. It seems like out of nowhere, and then all of a sudden we're thrown into it. There is no college like this in the history of colleges where you freaking are in the classroom in the quad, and then you're in the freaking and then you're in the hospital, a working hospital. There's all on the same campus.
Speaker 2: I don't know that that's accurate, Donald, I do think that there are university.
Speaker 1: Hospitals not like this, not like this rush.
Speaker 3: Medical is like this. I will say, it all looks like it's happening, if not in the same building. Very closed, and I do think medical campus is going to be more spread out.
Speaker 2: UCLA is our closest example. THECLA hospital is within one hundred yards of dorms and quads and classrooms.
Speaker 1: It feels like a fantasy world. It doesn't feel like medical school. It feels like even even inside the oar like scrubs had this feeling of realistic and everything like that. This feels glossed. This feels no nicer.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're definitely switching from I think you're right, and it's a lesson in in sets versus the real locations. I mean, we were shooting in a real Rundown hospital and now these are glossy sets and it feels modern and new. It doesn't even feel like an old university. It feels like a brand new university. Cole pushes a guy's a patient's Legacide to sit on the bed and hit on Joe because Cole has moved on from Lucy and now he wants to get some of some of Denise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Cole is sexually harassing. Yeah, absolutely on a level that is like this dude could go to jail, can you go? Can you go to can you get locked up? For talking to people?
Speaker 3: He could certainly be fired from or like go from this program for especially harassing all these women, Like.
Speaker 1: This is like next level harassing.
Speaker 3: Is the picture alone last episode that could have been a legal situation for sure?
Speaker 2: And well he says to Denise the only way to get rid of old King Cole is to sleep with him until he gets bored with you.
Speaker 1: What a dude show? Like even Joel is sitting there like Joelle is sitting there like I want to kill him.
Speaker 3: I hate Cole, which is a shame because I love Dave Franco.
Speaker 2: Like Dan such a good actor that you really you really believe that he's this horrible person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he really does crush on this show.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: He does a good job.
Speaker 2: Man, he's so handsome, for God's sakes, he's a handsome man.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 2: He really plays a jerk so well. He's like an old school eighties movie villain.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, who would that be like back in the days the dude's name front that played Ultron Spader Spade.
Speaker 2: I was thinking of, like in high school, movies like you know, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. James Spader, Yes, Spader, that's him. He was the ultimate dick in those movies back in the day.
Speaker 2: I look in and I see Turk teaching a class, and Jad says, in this light, you look like Denzel looking.
Speaker 1: At the Great Debaters.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what the Great Debater's reference is.
Speaker 1: It's a movie with I believe Kiky Palmer's in it is. Yeah, it's a Denzel movie where he's a teacher and he's teaching these kids how to debate. And I think it might even be based on real events. Yes, real events.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is classic black cinema. Every black person saw this.
Speaker 1: Movie came out, This came out. I have to remember the Titans too, like it was. This is when he was in on his I'm gonna make history movies pretty much like he was doing his thing and he and it was all and he is going through it finding young talent. I remember Denzel's tour of let's make historical movies and bring out like there was the one where he was the boxer and he goes to jail and the young man is the one that fights to get him out. And then there's the one Antoine Fisher's story. There's this one of the great debaters, Remember the Titans. I remember this moment in time where Denzel was doing This is a nice ten year span and.
Speaker 2: I never saw the movie. Does it? Does it hold up? Is it a good movie?
Speaker 1: It's a great fabulous and Kiky's fire in it too.
Speaker 3: Man, Journey's Molette, isn't it? Who's alo fabulous?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Glenn Powell randomly has a roll in here really early for him.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm gonna I'm gonna put that on my list. The great debater. I didn't know. You know, I usually know a Denzel reference. I didn't know this one.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after these fine words.
Speaker 1: Joe's losing wood in the in the closet, I mean, and.
Speaker 2: Denise says that she's losing wood because Drew isn't hooking up with her fast enough. That's not a term I've ever heard a woman say.
Speaker 3: A woman say this.
Speaker 1: Can a woman gain what?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: This is a question ken? The like Ken does the clitoris? Doesn't that get hard? Hard? When when the money and stimulated? I think she was saying that her clitorius was dropping. She who's to say Joe doesn't have a big clit clitoris.
Speaker 3: She's probably just talking about her libido. I don't want to talk.
Speaker 1: But you don't think she was talking about the clitorius going She was about her She was like, oh, my clataorus is going down.
Speaker 2: I think that meant that her libido was.
Speaker 1: I think, why can't that be what it is? How come that can't be what it is?
Speaker 2: So a year freaks out during Donald's class and grabs a kidney and runs out. And that's not even a fantasy. I don't think.
Speaker 1: No, that really happens. I guess, and Turk says, you can't be running out of here with.
Speaker 2: With kidneys kidneys. So the class hates that Cox has a favorite student. That is true, and uh wow, Cox's teaching is pretty wild. He's again talking about sexual harassment. He's really really burning this u Nikki Wheelan, who plays the very attractive Australian student. He's really really crushing her in the in the class, saying that he lists the things that he hates about her.
Speaker 3: She was wild. He's a little out like he made. He called Elliott Barbie a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, he called JD girl's names too.
Speaker 3: He did, he did. He did be like, you're too attractive to ever be taken seriously as a doctor. What is she supposed to do about that? That's just her face?
Speaker 2: I know. It definitely felt like something that would not be on television today. Him saying the things he says to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is not that long ago too, That's the crazy thing.
Speaker 2: It's like, this is yeah, but we've had a very big evolution since it was a big it was a buddy.
Speaker 3: Years this, Joelle, I don't have twenty ten now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we've had a big evolution in twelve sorry, fourteen years. Fourteen years.
Speaker 1: It feels like it's been twelve years, doesn't it. When somebody says twenty years ago, don't you automatically go nineteen eighty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. Yes, twenty years ago is two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: That's insane.
Speaker 2: That's very insane, getting old Donald, Yeah, man, teach entertainment made me laugh. I'm stuck up here.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, I did laugh at that.
Speaker 2: Listen this whole sequence where JD's trying to teach from the tree and he calls it teach entertainment and he says tell Chirk, I'm stuck in the tree again, but this time there appear to be many.
Speaker 1: Yes, until the hospital campus security shows up, and then I'm like, what fucking show is this? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: They're trying to replace the janitor, obviously with.
Speaker 1: A freaking dark, a tranquilized dart shooting security guard.
Speaker 2: I didn't get this, Fox, Come on, come on, Fox. And he says that he cuts the trunk with diet soda, so it's not too strong.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous, Arry, what the fuck happened? Dude? Like, come on yo. In the words, in the words of Chris Rock and Beverly Hills Cop two, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 2: I think it's a broader it's a broader, cleaner digital with added grain version, and this is meant to be the janitor's replacement. Character characters, characters, and they're definitely they have a trank gun. I mean, they're gonna shoot JD out of the tree.
Speaker 1: And we've never we haven't been introduced to these characters before. They just automatically show up. Yeah, in the second episode of season nine.
Speaker 2: I think it was a bit of a hat on a hat if you will. The one guy would have been plenty. Wendell Middlebrooks plays the security guard. He has passed away. He was a very funny man. I think he was doing a huge campaign at the time, right.
Speaker 1: Donald, Yeah, Miller high Life.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Miller High Life. That's how we probably found him now.
Speaker 1: I think that came out after he was on Scrubs. It was going at the same time. I remember we aired and that aired at the same time, right around the same time, which was.
Speaker 2: Really a stand up or something you want will you look that up? I wonder what his background was, but he was very funny.
Speaker 3: He's an actor and singer. Our younger viewers might remember him from The Sweet Life on Deck h Yeah, he was only thirty six when he passed.
Speaker 1: That's greaty, he was very young. Yeah, he might have been younger than us. That's the crazy thing.
Speaker 2: I did laugh out loud when he said, come on, little white baby, jump into my arms.
Speaker 1: And then you jump into his arms and you're like, it's like I'm being held by a big karml but in the big caramel.
Speaker 2: A giant piece of caramel or something. Yes, that sequence was very broad but funny, and I like the idea that when Chuk runs over He's like again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the new opening, new opening again. I'm sorry, I just have upset. And at this moment in the show, as I'm watching it, I was asking myself, what is this? This is not what we did before. Obviously the tone is off, but it doesn't necessarily have to be off, But what is the tone? What are we trying to establish here?
Speaker 2: Definitely brought her. I mean even Carrie besha is playing the straight moments constantly broad, you know. With JD obviously I was could be super broad, but like I would drop in and play real moments real I think carry's playing and it's not her fault. It's just what was created. She's playing a heightened reality at all times.
Speaker 1: I think, right, well, because well the reality now is very heightened also.
Speaker 2: But yeah, she's just playing with the world that was created for her. It's not it's not She's a wonderful actress and I believe in Northwestern guys, which makes me like her even more. But it's a heightened reality all times. But Okay, I know I saw all the blackberries. Did you see everyone's gett a BlackBerry? It's before iPhones.
Speaker 1: I didn't reckon, I didn't I wasn't paying. I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: Well, whenever a Cox holds up his pictures of number one that he's forced to on a BlackBerry. Yeah, so Cole is at the ribbon cutting of the hospital. There's a picture on the wall, and so he says, you know, you can't do anything to me, Denise, my mom is lactose in tali me laugh and he says that she's my wing mom. Now, yeah, I had this really. I thought that fucking wing mom fantasy was crazy and so funny. I had this moment just laughing because I was like, I don't remember that fantasy at all, shitting and it's a very surreal experience to watch a fully produced, bizarre fantasy of yourself that you have no memory of doing. But Jad and Bed waiting for the wing the wing mom to come in.
Speaker 1: That made you laugh.
Speaker 2: I giggled, Yeah, my hair, My hair was like slicked down.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I giggled? I giggled at this.
Speaker 2: I say, sing to me, wing mom, sing me to my dreams.
Speaker 3: It's so weird. It's like American Angels almost. I was trying to catch if there was like a reference happening get here. It was so strange.
Speaker 2: You mean Angels in America.
Speaker 3: Angels in America.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, it wasn't. It wasn't that, but it was.
Speaker 3: But just the scene where dudes in the bed and the angel comes down is like hovering over him, especially from that moment.
Speaker 1: I'll say this to other. Fantasy made me laugh way more than that fantasy made me laugh. The fantasy with the Antonio Sobato.
Speaker 2: Jumping the head. But that was very funny.
Speaker 1: That was that was the highlight of the show for me where I laughed my ass off. I was like, Wow, that's that's fucking They found the level of cheese and the level of of like it felt like a novel right anyway, It was.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be like a lifetime movie or meets a romance novel novel. Yeah, yeah, And Antonio Spotto Junior was very funny. He nailed it. Yeah, all right, we'll get to that. We'll take a break, okay, so listen to these commercials and we'll be right back with something funny.
Speaker 4: We'll be back or there is no try.
Speaker 2: Agreed, sounds exactly like him, I do. You're really good like.
Speaker 1: That force is strong with that voice over anyway, So let's get back to the show that everybody calls what is this show called again?
Speaker 2: Scrubs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get back to Scrubs at school.
Speaker 2: He makes this really weird mouth noise when.
Speaker 3: He's horrifying, a top hateful sound.
Speaker 1: Could he not be inside like this? How does this get like? Can get punched in the face? Like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, this is a different era. This is before all of all of the world had a giant change.
Speaker 1: Regardless, regardless, this is still douchebag material.
Speaker 2: Man like him, obviously, But now we watch it and go, well, he'd be fired, he'd be kicked out of the school, regardless.
Speaker 1: That's fucked up.
Speaker 3: Bro, Was this the same place where he said this is.
Speaker 2: What he makes like a weird noise with his mouth.
Speaker 1: He goes that dude is dead, dead, his family dead. I want him put in the ground dead, good fellas.
Speaker 2: We learned that Lucy has never seen herself nude. She says she's been nude, but she never looked down. The logistics of that are so tough. It's very tricky.
Speaker 3: It sounds like something Elliot would say.
Speaker 2: And JD's like, wow, that's weird for a doctor, but okay, And then Todd is able to sense when a couple is doing it. Not only is he able to sense that they're doing it, but he's able to sense which clothing they have on. I mean, there's not even noises in the hallway, but he's like, he closes his eyes and he's like, socks off, pants on. He knows, he knew, he's got like a The ability to sense is a force, the sexual force.
Speaker 1: I send someone having sex right now, sucks off pants on.
Speaker 2: It's the sexual force.
Speaker 1: The sexual force.
Speaker 2: Snoop dogg Residents makes an appearance, and he's not down to help Carrie Boschet with her mission. She's trying to help an alcoholic patient. We should just get back to a little bit of the storyline. Uh, Lucy's trying to help a patient, but she's too naive to know that the guy is a really horrible alcoholic. And Cox is saying, oh, there's no hope. He's going to be right back here, just you wait. Donald's right. It's a little bit like the same Andy storyline in Old Scrubs where he's always trying to steal pills.
Speaker 1: Right, Donald, that's the exact storyline.
Speaker 2: But this time JD's a part of it because JD also thinks that she needs to learn the hard lesson.
Speaker 1: I did like that and I saw that. I mean, I didn't necessarily see that part coming where JD's actually in on it, but I knew the outcome of the story, and I was like, if they change the outcome of the story, this isn't then they're really fucking up the way Scrubs is supposed to be made. But when JD came in at the end and was talking about how he likes his money, how he likes his winnings, and he does it in her face too.
Speaker 2: That was an interesting character change for JD that you haven't seen before. That he's he's become as cynical as cocks in that regard, and he's doing it in her face, like you said, and it's a bet that she was wrong for helping him.
Speaker 1: He was partly, Yeah, he's I'm going to let's set this girl up. She is, let's get her like literally, they had a pow wow, and cox's all.
Speaker 2: JD does give her the chance to try, but he feels that she needs to learn the lesson that he learned that odds are that you can, of course, you can root for people, but you can't invest in thinking they're going to turn their lives around every single time. You just you won't be able to continue. It's too hard as a doctor to think people are going to make the right choices right.
Speaker 1: My wife always says to me when something happens, and statistically it always happens. She always says to me when I'm acting all surprised, I can't believe you're so surprised by all of this. To be emotionally invested in people the way she is invested in people at this early stage is very dangerous, and I think the fact that Cox and JD do this to her is in a lot of ways a great lesson, but it's very unrealistic. I don't think anybody would ever It's television, I know, but I don't think think anybody would ever go through this much to where she has a car wash and she had you know what I mean. And you know that was.
Speaker 2: A bit heightened too, like let's put on a car wash and then the car wash turns into like an R rated eighties movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like, all right, I don't know, man. At storytelling, I get I get, I get the premise because we've seen the story before. It's just and it for me, as a fan now of watching Scrubs, to see this, I can see and I'm not dissing any of the actors. I'm not dissing any of the writers. It was a swing at something, but I could see why you would get upset watching this after knowing everything that came before.
Speaker 2: You're empathizing with the fans who went, wait this, you've missed the tone You've It's a very hard tone to nail, and I think when you don't have Bill doing it, it can go off the rails.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a big swing and it's a big ask.
Speaker 2: Tone is it's so tricky to nail, and it's a you can find with the width of a hair you can fall one way wrong or one way right. And I think that all the things you're sensing are there's funny things in this. I definitely laughed out loud a few times. But what you're sensing is like, oh, but it's it's shifted, it's there's something off of it. Car Wash was another thing that wouldn't be in a TV show today, Like let's get Nikki wheeling in a bikini and shower her with a hose.
Speaker 1: But it's a dangerous lesson that's getting back to it. It's a dangerous lesson that she has to learn. And the way they go about it, although the lesson lands at the end, is really cavalier. And as for these older professionals.
Speaker 3: To I don't know, can I ask you, so, do you feel like this is an appropriate evolution for JD, who we've seen struggle under doctor hawks for so many years, to just be like, I just want to hug. I just want you to acknowledge that we do have like this positive relationship that I mean something to you. Then the first student who sort of takes him seriously and confides in him to pull a joke on her. I personally, I understand from a experienced veteran at this point to be like, Hey, you have to experience pain because it's coming at you no matter what, and you have to tough en up, like you can't be this vulnerable all the time. But I also was like, man, I'm not sure if this is how I feel the JD I've known for eight seasons would handle teaching this lesson, But I don't even think Cox would handle it this way.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is very toxican and no, well.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think I did the same thing with.
Speaker 3: The guy with the pills.
Speaker 1: Right with JD. He was all he didn't know. All he did was let him go, go do your thing, you know what I mean. He never was like he never was like, you know, do a car wash, do a such, and you know what I mean, it just got really it got bigger than the hospital is what happened. And that's when it kind of gonna follow, you know what I mean. It's like, all right, you know, she's now on her college campus. The security guards from the college campus is helping out, like all for a patient. It just I don't know, man, it just it got real big in a story that has been told before. And this didn't need to be the A storyline. This could have been the B storyline, and the A storyline could have been Joe and fucking Phonsie. I thought that shit was fucking hilarious. The fucking you know, if Joe and Phonsie had a television show together, how much, you know what I mean? I like that. I would watch a show with Phonsie and a gremlin. That was funny to me, you know.
Speaker 3: Was brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it high. That shit was fucking hilarious. Bark, this is just for me. If we're gonna explore new characters and we're gonna explore new things, we can't do old storylines with the same new characters and stuff like that. And I feel like that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: I think we've d all done this enough. French Laundry was the restaurant I was trying to think of.
Speaker 3: Oh that's the obviously, Yeah, okay, all right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, gotcha. Jad and Turk didn't meet over a bloomin onion. Everyone who knows Scrubs knows they meant in the dorm room. When when Jad had a mullet and Turk had a flat top what do you call it? Faith? High top faith. There was a wizard hat involved, I believe. So this really breaks lure saying that we met over a bloomin onion. And I don't like that. It was said someone needs someone whoever wrote that should have done a rewatch of all eight seasons of Scrubs. The lor master on hand, Okay, so Kelso's, as Donald said, is at the bar, and he gives a little bit of advice to Drew, saying, you can't wall yourself in. You you got to look for a partner. You shouldn't isolate yourself. He says that while trying to bring a coup uger home, he's on a hunt to find some some ladies.
Speaker 1: I did. I did laugh at Edith, mister Nickerson and r I p I did laugh at that.
Speaker 2: And we have the very elaborate fantasy Donald mentioned with Antonio Sobado Junior. And it's a lifetime movie. And uh, you were looking pretty ripped in that. By the way, when I like my I mean, I'm what's it called, I'm being Fabio. I've got long flowing hair on.
Speaker 1: The nacho bros. That was funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like him, but they gave you nachos.
Speaker 1: That's why we like, right, That's why we liked That's.
Speaker 2: Why your friends. He gave me leftover bar. And the episode ends with Kelso is about to hook up with Cole's mom.
Speaker 3: Perfect revenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's nice revenge. I hope that.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. He needed that in his life. The perfect revenge is cold getting kicked out of that fucking school. Yeah, but he has to evolve and by the end of it. I'm sure Cole is going to be a loved character. Yeah, well, right now, he's the most hated person in the history of school. He's more hated than it's like a baguette.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that guy was just an as kisser. He wasn't sexually harassing anybody. All right, let's go to break and when we come back, Joelle, do we have some callers to listen to.
Speaker 3: We have a voicemail to listen to today. That's pretty great.
Speaker 2: Great, we'll be right back after this commercial break. Everybody, all RIGHTO, well, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, Daniel's queuing us up. Thanks Danel.
Speaker 5: Here we go, Hi, fake doctors and Joel. I watched episode two of season nine for the first time, and I am pleased and surprised to say I did not totally hate it. I am wanting to try to get this into two minutes or less. I've got highlights and the lights for you. First highlight was Kelso's cameo, perfectly crass, definitely would have got him canceled in twenty twenty four, but I still loved it. Cox's back to being himself in a way that wasn't egregious. I'm aware that Cox is an egregious human being, but in episode one it felt like he was doing Cox, like shouting, you know, this is my character, and in episode two he was back to being Cox. All of the interactions with JD and Turk are always great. JD is back to calling doctor Cox either doctor Cox or Perry Cox. He's not calling him Perry, which I did not like in episode one. And the last highlight, surprisingly is Drew, very surprisingly, because I don't like these interns, but Drew still feels like a developing character. He's also a conventionally handsome, confusing white male, and the twenty two year old in me will always find that attractive and appealing. But because he's still developing, he's still interesting to watch. So those are my highlights low lights Essentially. The other interns Cole I like Dave Franco as an actor, so it's not him, it's this character, a sad face Girl whose name I just can't remember, and Denise sad Face Girl. I've decided that all three of them are not characters. They're caricatures of the missing cast members. Sad Face Girl is Elliott. She's the people pleaser in Elliott without the snark or the humor. She literally said what the French when scared, and Elliott would say what the frick? But that was way funnier, and Elliott's delivery was always better. Cole is obviously the overtly sexual bonehead part of Todd, but Todd was dense and self absorbed in a way that was clueless and not mean. Cole is mean, and Denise is. She's like the wall that Carla puts up, but she's missing the friendship that Carla is able to extend. Denise is the girl who's like, I can't be with girls because girls are super catty, and then proceeds to be caddy to every girl she meets and shotgun beers.
Speaker 3: At a party to prove that she's cool with boys.
Speaker 5: They feel like caricatures that are being shoved down our throats to make up for the cast members that we're missing. So that's why I think I don't That's why I think I don't like them, and why I still think I'm not going to enjoy the rest of the season, even though now I am going to finish watching it. I'm over my two minute time limit. I do apologize. I hope you guys are having fun. I love the podcast and Joel, you and I are officially besties.
Speaker 3: Bye obviously I love that was so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Trika's a teacher and she had only ever watched episode one. I missed her initial voicemail for episode one, so I wrote her. I was like, please watch episode two. Your first voicemail is so like. She's such a great analyst, and I was like, could you do that for episode two? She was like, I have to show. I think it's her Spanish class the episode and Spanish so she could watch it in enough time for she had to.
Speaker 1: Go on a drip.
Speaker 2: Hilarious, So she did that. She got such a good job. She should do it. We should have that now to me, and we have to be good. We have to analyze each episode of season nine. I like everything she said. I agree that the characters are a bit extreme caricatures and not as as lovable as the original squad. That's true, well said.
Speaker 3: Thanks Tamika, you're great.
Speaker 1: Well I really enjoyed. I really enjoyed what she said because she said what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a really articulate smart way. So thank you, Joelle. Remind we need your submissions, guys.
Speaker 1: Well there's another submission isn't there just.
Speaker 3: One this week? Just want sor Tamika is so great. She gave She gave us positives and negatives, and I thought I wanted to highlight an example of what a pristine epic voicemail sounds like. She did it in two and a half minutes technically supposed to under three, so she hit it. No need to apologize to Mika, you did great. You can send your voicemails to us at scrubs iHeart at gmail dot com. If you can put the episode number in the subject line that that's really helpful for me. It'll help us spot you. We are listening to everything that comes through, but just so can get you guys organized in a neat and orderly way, that'll be helpful. Yeah, hit us up and scrubs. I heard why you love or hate an episode of season nine, preferably one that's not already aired, because I can't do anything with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Amen, Well, thank you, Joelle. This was a great experience. Donald, we know how you feel, right.
Speaker 1: And no way, but I don't want to listen. I know a lot of you out there. In fact, Donald, all you did was hate on this show today. I want you to understand. I enjoyed the time with the four of you. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: With the three of you, audience will be happy. I know that Donald is in his classic Mickey Mouse hoodie.
Speaker 1: You will see it, I'm sure. Listen and I get to see your faces. Zach, you look like an R and B singer like John B. Right now with your shoulders out, I'm waiting for you to sing a freaking a song or two. B. Who's John B? Yeah, I know John Bay. He was an R and B singer, white arm B singer who would sing songs like don't say that You'll never do it. You know you'd be the first one he's saging that one, and then your my ainel. He was a he was a Babyface artist, actually somebody who Babyface would write music for, and he had a lot of He had a few hit songs back in the early two thousands. And that's what you look like. You look like you're about to dance with in sync. Baby.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful day outside, so I'm gonna go enjoy some sunlight. Donald, to tell the audience when to watch your hit TV show.
Speaker 1: You can watch it every Tuesday, same day that you that our podcast comes out Extended Family airs on NBC at a thirty seven thirty Central. Amen, and then you can you can stream it the next day on Peacock.
Speaker 2: And please check out my new film French Girl, everybody. It's out. You can get it wherever you get on demand movies like Apple, Amazon, whatever service you like, it's available. It's very cute and funny and romantic. And I know you'll love it.
Speaker 1: Guys. If we get online right now and each watch The French Girl, we can put that shit to number one on iTunes on Apple TV. Let's freaking band together as a group of freaking listeners. And we've been together for how many years now? People? How many years have we been together for? Four years? Four years? Now? Is time to freaking show up and let's make this movie.
Speaker 2: Listen, Donald, I know you don't watch things, but you will actually really love this movie. You'll laugh out loud right on.
Speaker 1: But let's get let's get it going. Let's get everybody on board to freaking watch the French Girls. Zax.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt, believe it or not. French Girl's all right, Vanessa Hu Facebook, Zach Bras, you'll love it.
Speaker 3: Sounds great. Oh, I have one more announcement. I'll insert the website later, but we have a sweepstakes for the backpack giveaway. That's how I Heart says.
Speaker 1: We should do it.
Speaker 3: We should do a sleep stakes. So there will be a website. iHeartRadio dot com slash f d r F. So the initials of this show fake doctor's real friends f as in Frank dias and doctor rs and Richard f isn't Frank again. iHeart dot Com slash f d r F. You must enter before the last day of April, I believe. So just go to iHeart dot com slash f as in Frank das and doctor ours and Richard f as in Frank to win the sleep stakes. Get yourself a Scrubs backpack today.
Speaker 1: Go to that.
Speaker 3: Website and you can enter for a chance to win the backpack. It looks amazing thing. It's got Zach and Donald's face in front of it. It's beautiful, it's sturdy.
Speaker 1: I love well made.
Speaker 2: It's sturdy. I actually want one of these, but but I'm gonna give this one away to the fans. Yes, I'll funny. If I wore this around town, very funny.
Speaker 1: That'd be the weirdest thing ever.
Speaker 3: From you guys, gotta go back to Disney and we're matching back facts with your faces on it, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Love you guys. Count about Shure.
Speaker 4: We made about a bunch of talks.
Speaker 2: And nurses and.
Speaker 4: He said he's the story net. No so YadA round here, yeada round here, but me