Speaker 1: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 1: What's the worst thing that's happened at a wedding? Before?
Speaker 3: A good question? I mean I was actually thinking the groom not showing up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be sad. There's drunken fights that happen, weird family hookups. I know at Brook's wedding, one of my former co hosts stole some presents off the gift table.
Speaker 3: That makes that makes sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know the statute of limitations has probably been rich so you can't even do anything. But one of our listeners is upset today after he attended a friend's wedding and some information came out that could be worse than any of the things that I just mentioned there. His name is Corey, So Corey, welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, how you doing. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm excited to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's going on? You went to a wedding recently?
Speaker 4: I did? I did. I went to a wedding of one of my really good friends. You know, I've known the bride since college and really tight with her now husbands.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you like them both?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love them both the great people. You know, I've had a lot of good memories with them and stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what happened?
Speaker 1: Are you a better fit for her than the husband?
Speaker 4: Is? No, thankfully that's not the case. We so like I think she kind of like scammed me.
Speaker 3: Scammed scammed the bride scammed you.
Speaker 4: Like, not just me, but like I think she scammed like her and her husband, they scammed the entire party all.
Speaker 3: My Yeah, that's a huge accusation.
Speaker 4: I know it's a weird thing to say, but like both the bride and groom have family and friends were big drinkers. Okay, it's just like the culture of that group of people. Yeah, and totally cool. I drink a lot too, And like they had a cash bar, so everyone's paying for their own drinks.
Speaker 6: Well, and you know, I will say just in terms of like cost, like if you don't have the funds, it makes sense. And also it's a good way to keep people not getting quite as drunk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is like free free alcohol. People are wasted.
Speaker 1: But would they have to pay for it if you want to have a boring wedding charge people?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Why is that relevant?
Speaker 4: Well, a few hours into the reception after everything went down, and I'm sitting at one of the tables having a beer with the groom and just kind of chilling hanging out. And the groom at this point is pretty tipsy and we're tight, so I mean, he leans over and he's like leaning on me, and he's kind of like conspiratorily talking to me. He's like, Okay, you want to hear something funny, dude.
Speaker 6: I'm like, okay, nothing funny ever comes out of that set.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was like what I couldn't even imagine what was going to come out of his mouth. And he was just like, all the booze money here, it was right, the.
Speaker 3: Had to paying for the bar, right, is that what he means?
Speaker 4: So like your react? It was my reaction. I was like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: I would hope so.
Speaker 4: And so he goes on to tell me that all the alcohol was gifted to them by a relative who couldn't make it.
Speaker 3: Woah, present profiting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they're profiting off all of this. So like this whole thing is a scam because all the alcohol is already paid for.
Speaker 1: Oh god, oh wow, their own friends and family.
Speaker 3: Dude, what did you say?
Speaker 1: Everyone?
Speaker 4: Well, he was telling me that it was treeing of the bride's idea. She was like, what if we charged the guests at the bar and just pocket the catch and then the light.
Speaker 1: Bulb went off. It's messed up, but it's also so genius.
Speaker 3: Dude, But it's a wedding. You're not running a business, Jeff.
Speaker 6: You're not opening a bar trying to make money off your friends.
Speaker 1: People already getting a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Did anyone else find out at the wedding?
Speaker 4: I don't think so, no, because like I wasn't even supposed to know, but the groom was just so tipsy. Yeah, I get feeling, like, you know, cheeky about it. But like after he left, I was talking to some of like our friends about it, and they was taking it back. It's made it like no way, Yeah, I mean they were pissed and so was I.
Speaker 1: Dude. It's clearly everybody in the room is in agreement that this is wrong. You shouldn't charge guests for the booze and then pocket all the money.
Speaker 6: So you said upfront about it, Yeah, not saying anything.
Speaker 1: But is there anybody out there who disagrees and think that the bride and grim have every right to do this text in seventy five nine too. I want to hear what people have to say.
Speaker 3: Texting in right now.
Speaker 1: Promoted.
Speaker 6: All I want is this awkward Tuesday phone call to be finding out how much money they made?
Speaker 1: And Corey, do you have any idea of how much they were able to make that night?
Speaker 4: They must have made like fifteen thousand.
Speaker 1: Fifteen grand, dude, charging like one hundred bucks a person. They do like to drink.
Speaker 6: I mean, like an average wedding costs like thirty grand right now, So that's half of your wedding paid.
Speaker 4: For right now.
Speaker 1: That's actually kind of actually more.
Speaker 6: Because you didn't even pay for the alcohol, you know, so they weren't even Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Now the people that already texted in they don't approve rethink about it. Yeah, So Corey, what did you do with that information? Like, did you say anything or do anything with it?
Speaker 4: I did. I went to like some of the friends and they want me to be their spokesperson to go talk to the bride about getting the money back.
Speaker 1: And they wanted her to wait a minute, they want to be reimbursed. Now you're on a reconnaissance mission.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh man, yeah, Like what do they doing coming with receipts, Like, excuse me, I.
Speaker 4: Ordered, yeah, I mean, like everyone's pissed and now this whole thing is out of hand, and like they want her to issue a public apology on social media, Oh, humiliate herself.
Speaker 3: How long ago was this wedding?
Speaker 4: It was like a month ago.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fresh enough.
Speaker 1: Oh, now we're gonna call and Corey is going to ask her to reimburse the money from the bar. Put a post up on social media with a giant stack of cash in her hands, saying this is the money I stole from I guarantee you that's not going to be the outcome of this. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: That feels worse than her doing this to begin with.
Speaker 1: Than the actual I mean, Corey, you're good friends with the bride. Why do this over the radio. Why not just have a private one on one conversation with her behind closed doors.
Speaker 4: It's just so much bigger than that. Now, Like, I can't fathom doing it alone and all the pressure is on me to do it, And like I also don't want the groom to I don't want to out him as the one who told bro she.
Speaker 3: Put himself in the situation, though he leaked it to you.
Speaker 6: She's not going to be mad at him, She's going to be mad at you.
Speaker 3: That was telling everybody.
Speaker 4: This is exactly why I'm calling you, guys. I need your help.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll say it was our idea to call the bride that way. He's not one hundred percent responsible.
Speaker 3: Sure, Okay, we'll take and hopefully give.
Speaker 1: You some decent advice when we come back and let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call right after this. It's awkward.
Speaker 3: It's it's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try to boil this story down so that people tuning in can catch up. But we're talking to Corey, who's a good friend of a newlywed bride. They just got married about a month ago, and at the party they had a cash bar, which isn't totally unusual for a wedding. Those happen, but.
Speaker 3: You have to pay.
Speaker 1: Later on in the night, the groom let it slip that a relative had already paid for all the alcohol, and the bride and groom were secretly pocketing all the cash that was made off of dreams. Wow, it maybe wouldn't have been bad if they were up front and told all the guests about it, but they didn't do that. They were kind of deceptive, sneaky, didn't let anybody that. So Corey and a few friends found out, and now they want their money back, along with a social media apology from the bride. We're about to call her and let Corey ask for all those things. But I do kind of agree with Brooke that the social media thing is going to be pretty humiliating. I wonder, Corey, if maybe we could figure out some way to get the money back that you guys want, but back off of the social media apology.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm okay with that, but all my friends are so pissed because she was pushing people to buy more drinks. Like at the end, she was like, everybody, let's do a shot.
Speaker 1: The most expensive one that we Oh my god, I'm an entrepreneur. Okay, oh god. We're about to let you call her, but first you need to get some advice. Brooke, what do you have?
Speaker 6: The only way to approach this where she's not completely defensive is you make it so that you're on her side. So you come in and you say, hey, listen, I heard this was going on. They're not happy, but I've got a way to fix it. I'm on your side. Why don't you give them some money back?
Speaker 3: What a great idea?
Speaker 4: I mean, I just feel like she's going to be defensive no matter what.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know, but you got to try your best to be on her side, you know, not attack her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at least wait to attack or just a little bit before they strike. Hose, what do you think if she's resistant towards all of this, tell her what the future holds. She could lose her friends or family, and like, just spell it out. Is fifteen thousand dollars really worth it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Given all the money, what do you think of that?
Speaker 1: Corey threatened her with losing all of her friends and close relationships in her life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I honestly don't think that's a terrible idea. If she's very resistant, I think putting it in perspective could work.
Speaker 1: Wow, it may make her go, Oh, that might actually be two decent pieces of advices that we've offered.
Speaker 3: Even with that, Jeff, I've never been as nervous as I know.
Speaker 1: I'm going to dial her number right now.
Speaker 4: You ready, I'm pretty nervous. But let's just tear up the bandate. Let's do it all right?
Speaker 1: Good luck?
Speaker 2: Man? Hello?
Speaker 4: Hey, what's up? Hey? Who's this? It's Corey? What do you mean.
Speaker 5: Your number came up as something else?
Speaker 4: It did? How are you? That's that's weird? No, I'm good.
Speaker 5: Did you have a good time at the wedding? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was sick. It was a great time. It was it was awesome. I mean, how's post marriage life.
Speaker 5: It's good, just you know, calming down from all the craziness. I'm sad it's over. I'm happy if it's over.
Speaker 4: But it was it was great. Dah Yeah, I bet, I bet that's that's why it was a good time. It was a good time. So, uh, I heard this crazy rumor at your wedding.
Speaker 5: Okay, what did you hear?
Speaker 2: So? I heard that all the booze you guys had there was already paid for by a relative and that you guys kept the money for yourself.
Speaker 4: That's not true. Right Where where did you hear that? I don't remember, Like I was, I was hammered, you know, like it's I think someone just said it, you know, I don't know. I just I just thought.
Speaker 5: It was weird. I mean, luck, Like, I don't really want to talk about this with you, Like, I don't even know why you're asking me?
Speaker 4: Did you scam everybody? You scammed me?
Speaker 6: Me?
Speaker 5: I didn't scam anybody.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, I mean, where where did.
Speaker 5: You get this from? Like what are you even?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: What is people?
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter, but like people know about it, Darby met Nicole. Oh, like I we're not happy, Like what were you thinking? Are you serious? Yes, they nominated me to talk to you because I've known you forever, and it's like they want their money back obviously, so why what Like is this a joke? No, it's like they're up said, like you took our money.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm sorry, Like what's done is done. And we're going to the Caribbean obviously for our honeymoon. And Dan's using it to enter a poker tournament.
Speaker 4: A poker tournament, are you mental?
Speaker 5: Now? He's very confident he can win, and we're hoping to quadruple the money. So basically it's an investment for our future.
Speaker 4: Dreama just like what am I supposed to tell our friends? Like you deceived us and then are using the money to gamble with in a poker tournament in the Caribbean.
Speaker 5: I mean, listen, if everybody's so upset, just tell them when Dan wins the poker tournament, because he will, we'll give them, like, I don't know, half their money back. I don't know, God, hal who was laughing?
Speaker 1: Sorry, We're a radio show called Brooke and Jeffrey in the Morning, So.
Speaker 4: What is this?
Speaker 5: This is like on the radio or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the segment we do called the Awkward Tuesday phone call, oh Man, and Corey wanted some help reaching out on his friend's behalf because his friends are really the ones who are most upset about it. Well, Corey is a little bit mad.
Speaker 3: Did you hear him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he did that. He called you a name out of love.
Speaker 5: I cannot believe you try to embarrass me like this.
Speaker 4: This is that.
Speaker 3: It's definitely not the point.
Speaker 4: I'm not doing this to embarrass you. And like they feel like you scan them on purpose, so they're pissed.
Speaker 5: That is ridiculous. I'm not apologizing to everybody for being smart like you guys are probably a dot thing.
Speaker 1: Oh oh.
Speaker 6: I have a question though, if you just wanted your friends to help you out put the gampoline in the honeymoon, why didn't you just start a honeymoon fund like money people do.
Speaker 5: We weren't necessarily getting gifted at the alcohol in the beginning, so that's kind of just what ended up happening. It's like whether it goes to the bar or our honeymoon fund, Like what is the difference? Like you still got to drink what you wanted to drink, Like, I don't see the big deal here, but we heard.
Speaker 1: That you were like going around the party encouraging people to buy more drinks.
Speaker 5: I was drunk. I would have done that anyway.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, it sounds like your friend Corey here, he's coming from a good place, Like he's genuinely trying to look out for you and your reputation in this friend group.
Speaker 4: You need to think about the ramifications of all of this, Like is your reputation and your friendships worth fifteen thousand dollars?
Speaker 5: Like we I mean, it's not already weird, Like all.
Speaker 4: Right, just listen. You won't be invited to parties, people are gonna ask weird around you. You won't have any friends. But now this moment, you can still say, hey, sorry, we made a mistake with the bar tab and we're willing to return the cash.
Speaker 1: Yeah what do you think, Trina?
Speaker 5: I mean, fine, whatever, like this really isn't I'm not like this mastermind behind this thing, like it's this is crazy. But who told you that matters to me?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it was there what Yeah, yeah drunk.
Speaker 5: Well you know what, it doesn't even deserve to be in the pover tournament anyway, So I don't give a crow.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, well I think we have yeah, all the things, well not all the things, but most of the things that we set out for at the start this. We wanted to make the friendships right, get the money back to the guests that got the money stolen from them, and we've kind of done that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, there were some uh but Corey, you're getting your money back.
Speaker 3: Yay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's awesome.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well how put.
Speaker 1: On the Caribbean, Trina? Tell you tell your new husband high Happy's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.