Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club, yep, the one, the most dangerous morning show to Breakfast Club. Charlamagne the God just hilarious. DJ Envy had to step out. But we have a certified legend in the building. You've seen her on a night court, You've seen her on the Upshaw. She has a one woman show called The Book of Marshall. Missus Marshall Wallfield his head, Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm blessed Black and Holly favorite, all right, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing all right? You know, all three of us in red. I know we got the memo. Yes, that's a good sign. You know, when everybody is like in sync without even trying. That's right.
Speaker 2: As long as no crips walking here, we'll be fine. You've been working in the business since the seventies and you gotta you're celebrating your seventieth birthday this month. Yes, Wow, do you feel like a legend?
Speaker 1: No, I feel like marsha I just you know, I do take every day as it comes, do the best I can and hopefully be able to rest at night comfortably. So things are going well right now, and I'm very grateful for that. And very happy with the way it's going in the second half of my career. But no, legend is something that I think they just say because I'm old.
Speaker 2: You gotta have a ratherme to back it up.
Speaker 1: Though, No, no, you know, if you hang around sooner or later, somebody will will say you're a legend. But I appreciate it. You know, it's nice to be thought of, well thought of, fine people and you just let them say that.
Speaker 3: Know better, Yeah, okay, Well it's not often that someone with you know, your lunch, you know, like you has long jevy in this business and you still manage to say book and busy, you want three TV shows right now?
Speaker 1: Like what keeps you going? Well, it's not just you know, most people don't get a chance to have one successful career. I had one, took off for twenty years, and came back and have done it again. So I'm most proud of that, of the fact that I could start all over again from scratch and then make it work into my seventieth year.
Speaker 2: When they called you about the night Court reboot, was that something you wanted to do? Did you jump at the chance to play Rods again? Or you just was like I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, I don't take gigs, and I'm like, I don't know, you know, unless it's a whole lot of money involved, I'm not putting myself through that. I like night Court. Night Court was good for me. It was good to me. Hopefully I was good to night Court, And so when they called me, it wasn't like I expected it because they were going in a whole new direction. They doing a whole different show, and I'm cool with that. That's fine. I wish you well. I hope it does for you what it did for me. I told Lacreta that as soon as I met, I said, you know, this is your gig now, this is my time has passed as far as this is concerned. So you take this ball and run with it. I hope it does for you what it did for me. So when they called me, I was like, well, cool, you know, I'm happy to do it. And it just seemed to snowball from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure you know. And see how times have changed these days. How did you feel when you found out that Ross would be getting married to a woman in the season finale?
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought it was great And I love the fact that it's not the point of the show. The point of the show is that she's getting married. The fact that she's getting married to a woman is never mentioned, brought up, nothing. It's not a bone of contention at all. And that's a long way from where we started, you know, from where when I came out right and my mother to my mother, and I wasn't even coming out publicly. I was coming out to her and she said, well, let's you know, I understand, but just you know, don't come out as long as I'm alive. I'm like, okay, that's a small thing to ask in the bigger problem than it was growing up and everything. So I was like, cool, But now we can have h this character and not just representing being a lesbian, but being a lesbian of age of color marrying another woman, so that people know there's there's hope. You know, there's hope for people. You don't just stop living because you get another birthday and there's you don't have to stop looking for love, you know, have to stop having sex, You don't have to stop doing anything just because you're old. So I like the way they handled it.
Speaker 2: When your mother tells you something like that, how do you not feel suppressed though, like you're suppressed part of yourself.
Speaker 1: Been suppressing a huge part of myself, my whole life, I mean, from birth. And when the society says this is negative, this is bad. You know, people try to insulect their children and help them because for them they see it as one of failure they parenting. And two it's like the world is gonna beat you up, so let's guide you along this way. So my whole life, they've been trying, they had been trying to shift me, you know, over to the right side. It's like the way they do left handed kids. You know, back in the day, they would tie your hands behind your back. They would force you to use your right hand, because left handed is a sinful, sinister it means left handed in French, it was a bad thing. And so they would let kids right with their left hand. So yet a lot of converted right handers whose mind you know, when you're left handed, your mind thinks left handed, you know, they open books backwards, they see things totally different. But then they had this cat and I've opened the book the right way, no, but I've seen left handed people open it the other way and go from the back, and it's not that they're reading from the back, it's just that's how they see it, and so they try to shift your whole mind. And the same thing when they see your kids. You know, your kid is gay from birth. You know, the little boy cries whenever you put him in a blue something. Many look, I love the pink, and they're like, no, you can't wear a pink because you're a little boy. And he's like, but I don't care. And so they start shifting you away from who you are. So when when you come out and you're expecting the worst, you're expecting your parents to be offended and defensive and all kind of stuff. And some kids get put out of their houses. Some kids at fifteen sixteen, their parents can't handle it. All. My mother asked, was you know, don't put it out in public in the whole world scheme? That was a small thing. And my maighbor was like, well, at least she's not just owning me. At least she's not condemning me.
Speaker 2: If they tied your hand behind your back for being left handed, I don't want to know what they did to give people back.
Speaker 1: Then they just tell you you're different, you're different.
Speaker 2: When you started playing back the character of Rosie, it feels like a continuation or reintroduction.
Speaker 1: There's a little bit of both. You know that a lot of time passed, so you know, Rod's was my goal at the time was I had just done nine one one and playing Hen's mother, you know, with the short hair and every thing. They kind of established a look and for that character. So I wanted Roz to be more like she was back in the day with the haircut and stuff. So I got the wig and went in that direction. But yeah, we picked up Roz thirty years later for to have how many years it's been and caught up with her life and I got to meet her again too. I don't know what happened to her.
Speaker 2: You was on TV. When being on TV meant something, are you like, it was like real celebrity and being really famous. So I did plan Roz back then in the eighties change everything for you.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, back in the day, there were just there weren't as many opportunities. There was only three channels, and cable was new, Showtime and HBO were just about all the whole game, and so they didn't have as many dating but there was no streaming. There was no you know, and I tell people about like selfies and stuff like y'all got pictures of everything you do. We ain't have no pictures. We ain't had no It was a big deal when somebody took a picture. So the whole technology change. And as the technology changed, the opportunities opportunities expanded. Plus, uh, black people have and women have have pushed the boundaries so far away from where they were. When I was a kid, there were no black people on the other there were no shows like this, There was none of that stuff. All of this stuff is new, and it built up, built up from the Civil Rights movement, through the Black Power movement into more demands and more Red Fox and Bill Cosby and Flip Wilson saying, we need representation behind the camera. I need somebody who knows my skin tones to do my makeup. I know people to do lighting and things who can understand how to light black people. And so we need more managers and agents and stuff, and all those things started happening. And I was talking about it last night when Robin Harris said at the Comedy Store, because we used to wait for Paul Mooney not to show up, so we could take a spot. That was the only way we could get a spot at the comedy store, and Paul Mooney always showed up. And so Robin said, I can't do this no more. Marshall, I got to work, I got to do I'm going back home. And I said, you know, that's cool, but you know the industry comes through here looking fatalities. I don't care. I'm going home. So he went back and worked all the clubs we worked, you know, to stay sharp, but didn't have the same exposure well when he went back, and then he met Michael Williams, and the Comedy act Theater became a thing, and now we have more black people behind the scenes, we have more black people coming out the mail room and become an agency now there. Then we had the cable uh, the cable WebLETS started w B, the whatever and the Frog Network and all those things. And so now they're looking for talent. So instead of going to the comedy store on the way home uh from the agency it's black Uh, producers and managers and things could now go the other way and come back and find a talent pool of black talent, and a lot of those shows were cast from that pool, and it kind of all came together through the efforts of everybody along the way, but Keenan and Robin Robert Townshend doing doing Hollywood Shuffle and independently, then we're gonna make a movie, and where you're gonna get some money to make a movie. And they said, well, we're gonna do it. We're gonna do it my credit cards, we're going to somebody, we're gonna hustle it up. And they actually hustled it up and made a movie that stands up today. And so all of those things happened, you know, kind of organically, and followed the trends of the technology changes and took advantage of all of the opportunities that they made happen, and we just kept on going until now you have representation. You have you know, the idea that you can watch TV twenty four hours a day and only see black people's mind boggling to somebody who grew up with Ozzie and Harriet and that kind of thing and leave it to beaver. So I happened to be just come about in that time period where it was between you know, when things were coming up, and I got lucky and ended up on Night Court and the rest is history.
Speaker 3: But I love how like you get excited when you talk about like back then and stand up and all of that.
Speaker 1: Is that still your first love? I love stand up. That's my I don't see myself as an actress actor. I was reluctantly dragged into acting because I wanted to save my piece. I wanted to be a standum. I wanted to compete with the big boys. I wanted to do stand up and so learning how to do, how to act and all that kind of stuff, I'd learned all of that on the job. I didn't know anything. It never took a I took a class once and they told me to get a book and said, you know, read the book. And I opened it up and they said on the first page, the key to acting is to keep it simple. So I closed the book. I never went back to the class. So I was lucky enough to be on the show. At a time it was like the Number four Show and tv H you had actors. John Larrick had getting nominated every time he opened his mouth. He had nominated for a nummy so often he took his name out of contention. Uh And they were Marky and and these actors. And I told Harry when I first got there, I'm like, I'm not an actor. I don't know how to do this. He said, I'm not either. He said, we just watch them and do what they do. And so they made it easy for me and I learned on the job.
Speaker 2: Just a question for you know you and you know just Lara, she does stand up as well. Is that age your safe space?
Speaker 1: No, it's not nothing safe on stage. You're out there by yourself. But the thing I think everybody has to keep in mind when you do stand up, it's you're doing you. It's all about you, and the closer you are to who you really are, the better you know you're you. We we uh come from a tradition where for years black people weren't allowed to be themselves. Especially there weren't no very few black men with moms. Maybeley and that was it, but black men weren't allowed to have facial hair, they weren't allowed to wear suits. They had to be characters and play basically minstrels. And so in the fifties and sixties, and people like like Dick Gregory and Timmy Rodgers and said, now we're going to do it different and we're going to be people and speak our minds. This was this was not allowed. You weren't allowed to trick white people intellectually. And so to be yourself and to be close to who you are, you can't fail at being you. And so if you'd be the best you you can be, you're always going to succeed.
Speaker 2: I like that you said you can't. You said you can't trick white people.
Speaker 1: You can't trick white people intellectually. That was against the law, and in the South, that was dangerous. Dick Gregory said after a show, the group of white men came in. He was he ordered a whole chicken and uh, and these white men came up behind him and said, whatever you do to that chicken, we're going to do to you.
Speaker 2: So she ate the chickens ass.
Speaker 1: You picked the chicken up and kissed it. So that was the climate, you know, And and again he won by tricking the people for tricking them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing that you know, we act like like when it comes to entertainment. And I was gonna ask you about like roles that they've asked you to play if they ever asked you to play a role that might have been pushing some sort of propaganda.
Speaker 1: Oh all the time, Holly, I refused. I came about in the Black Exploitation, and before Black Exploitation, I don't think there had been any roles for black women where you where they didn't play a maid or a whoror and most often the maid, and even some of the classics that everybody loves, imitation of life, you know, the maid. And I said, I will never play a maid or horror, never ever. And so when roles came up and the maid is she has a heart of goal and she wins up and she ends up being and she's a corpus comestter, but she's a maid, I said, if she's a maid, I'm not playing her. So I turned down a lot of roles, and I think we have to start encouraging people. We have to lose to go along, to get along mindset, you know, and get back to the to the kick ass, you know, yeah, mindset that you know, you draw your own line in the sand, and you you have the right to say no, you know, and and we don't always feel that we have that kind of agency to say, man, I ain't doing that even.
Speaker 3: If they make you feel bad for it, you know, like because they will agents, and you know, it's even like happens to me, like I will say no, Like I was offered like three or four roles to play a crackhead, you know, and but these would have been my first roles and I don't.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to do that.
Speaker 3: And I remember meeting, oh my god, the guy that played Eddie Kane. He was on the set of Row I did a sitcom, which was my first big role for Fox.
Speaker 1: But his name is Michael God.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Michael Rainey, I want to say, or something like that. But he played in the Five Part Beats and he was Eddie Kane. And I met him on seton and he told me, if you let them, they will keep casting you for the roles that they want to see you portray, you know, not for you know, and I just I never. I grew up in Baltimore City. That's all I seen growing up. I didn't want to play that role. I'm not saying never, but that's not They kept my agents kept bringing that to me, My manager kept bringing that to me, and I remember him saying, Michael right, Michael Wright, sorry. I remember he was like my manager. He was like, this is you. The scene opens, You're pissing behind a dumpster. Yep, after you snorted and I'm like, and he said, I could just see you play this.
Speaker 1: You don't know how.
Speaker 3: Insultant that was. I fired him, but that was that was very I just couldn't believe. He said, I see when I first read this, I thought of you, and to see I'm like, damn.
Speaker 1: We forget they worked for us. Yeah, don't work for your manager. And they take the position that you do work for them and that you have to do it, they say, and you have to let them know. No, I'm the boss of me, Like I said, do you I'm doing me. I'm not doing what you see me. Yeah, so no, that ain't gonna work.
Speaker 2: Are you having fun?
Speaker 1: I'm having a ball, you know. I believe you know. I walked in here in the whole room is orange and red and everything, so you know this is the way it's meant to be. I'm I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: We'll tell us about your One woman showed the Book of Marshall.
Speaker 1: People always told me that I should write a book, and I'm like, I'm not a writer. I'm a stand up so if you want to know my story, you have to come see me do standups. Ah, and I can tell you better than I can write it down. And I didn't want to go through the ghostwriter thing and have somebody else write my story. And I approve it, so I it's a kind of autobiographical stand up. I grew up on R and B. I'm a big R and B fan. That's my that's my thing. And so I sing a lot, and I you know, I'm not a singer, but I have music in the show. You know how you know how you have a party, and whenever we have a party, there's always music playing. But at about ten o'clock or so, that Auntie comes in and say, okay, that's enough of that bang bang, no, it's lifting on some music. Play my record. And everybody goes, what's a record? And she don't. Don't get smart with me, boy, and play my record. And so I'm that Auntie and this show is it's where I get to like it's like a theatrical show, but it's like coming into my kitchen. You know. She always takes her place in the kitchen, that Auntie and starts talking about everybody else's foods and stuff. So that's the way the show hopefully feels like you've come into my party at the time where was down now to the real people and not just the people you have to be fake with.
Speaker 2: Who helped you on the on the come up?
Speaker 1: Everybody, everybody, everybody you know. That first night I went to the comedy store, well, the first night I went to do stand up, it was because Tom dreason had just started open Mic Night. We had never had one in Chicago, and he had just started opening Mike Night after he broke up with Tim Reid and they had a Tim and Tom comedy team. And uh so that's when I met a bunch of people who helped me along in my career. Brad Anders who used to do the It's Your World, It's Your World radio show and he's done a lot of movies in the Hollywood Shuffle and stuff, and Tom Dreeson and the whole bunch of other people helped me along. And I stayed in Chicago for a couple of year, and then the first night I got to the comedy store, the first person I met was John Witherspoon. He was at the door. He played He played tennis back then, so he had on tennis shorts and had a sweater haat around his neck like a preppy dude, and he started talking. I'm like, you're not from here, he said, no, I'm from Detroit. So I'm from Chicago. He said. I introduced you to people as they came in, and one of the people he introduced me to was Paul Mooney, and he said, this is Paul Mooney. I said, hey, Paul. He said, mister Paul Mooney, and I said yes, sir. And so then we hung out and Nest started talking. That's where I learned how to drink kognac because I was, you know, young. I'm twenty two, and so I'm still in the stage where I'm drinking fruit the umbrella drinks or I'm drinking or trying to drink like grown people. And I don't know. For a while, I was drinking Scotch and milk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me telling them club bathrooms up.
Speaker 1: It was nasty. But he was drinking this. This drinking. Back then, they used to light your cone jack first and so the you know, burn and warm it up. And they learned that you were burning all the alcohol off and so stopped doing that. But it all came with a flourish, you know, and I was like intrigued, and he was drinking out of a sniffer and and what is that? Is what he said. This is the stuff Massa wouldn't let us have. So if it's free, always get the kognak. So I started drinking kognak. And from that point on, he got us all on the Bridge prior show, the where we all got our union cards and everything. And then as time went on, he would help people get gigs. Whenever he was in, you know, he would recommend me. And then when I got my talk show, I hired him as the as the head writer, and so we went back and forth collaborated. And that's one thing I just want to say. We talk about how we don't stick together, and I don't know where that comes from. It's like some people were come in here with everybody in their family, a whole posse full of people following behind them, and we all stick together. I'm like, hey, and they help him. I signed him to my label. I got a deal, and I signed that girl over there, and it's we all stand on each other the shoulders, and we all stand side the side. And people have always helped and open doors and did you go and check out this so and so they got a gig over there. It's not right for me, but that might work for you. And that kind of networking and everything is what made that kind of progress I was talking about earlier happened. So we doced it together, and we have to change the narrative. It's not like you change the facts, but when other people tell your story and then you internalize it, now you're saying things that ain't true while you're living your own truths. So we have to start telling those truths and we stick together real good. And and I've never had any situation when I came back Wander Sykes, Kim Whitley and the Dell Gibbings and there's so many others helped me in all kinds of ways, gave me gigs and it just helped me out. I am passionate about how dependent we are on each other and how we come through for each other. So we need to change those those narratives that just live.
Speaker 2: It's just for us not to forget when we get in those position, because it feel like you had a bunch of unwritten contracts, Like when I get here, I'm gonna look out for you, and you hear you look out for me.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you're you're kind of forced into that. At the comedy store, like I said, everybody's waiting for a spot, trying to get on, and you're all together talking, sharing, you know, as a group, and so you're kind of forced into it. But then you're looking at people, like I said, who are making those demands, who are making changes? Who are who are opening doors unions that were closed and if you weren't related to somebody, you didn't get in certain units. But they said, no, that doesn't work, and let's let's open these things up. And they fought for these opportunities that we, you know, wasked into. So uh and I think that's been tradition all along, but we don't. We've never had the opportunity to tell those stories. And now we do, and we can tell them from a perspective. You don't change the facts, but you change the perspective. You know, something can happen if we all watch an an accident happen, we all saw something different from our wherever we were, and if we're only hearing the side of the driver or the victim or the whatever, you get a distorted view. And when we start telling those truths, then people start thinking in a different way and maybe you have a different understanding of what went on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think people like the most so focused on who didn't help them and who didn't like Okay, well they could have opened the door. But it's a hole ass of people who have y you know, and like you said, your family, you got to focused on like how you got here instead of where you wanted to get because this person.
Speaker 1: Didn't put you there.
Speaker 3: So that speaks to everything that especially the world of comedy. Now, yeah, that we're in in all the trajectory and everything, but I love the meaning you and I.
Speaker 1: Know you got to go.
Speaker 2: The last question, is there anything.
Speaker 3: On your bucket list career like that you for your career that you want to do that you haven't done yet.
Speaker 1: I'm my one woman show, the Book of Marsha I want to do as a as a one woman show and have that be a special I'm working to make that happen in the future. And then from there, I'm like, I'm just grateful for every opportunity I've been blessed more than I have always appreciate it. You know, when you're in the struggle and trying to make it, you think nothing's happening, But when you look back on it, it's like, dang, I was doing a lot right. So I just want to keep on going. You know, I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow badassidly and just that's right. That's right, kick it, you know, hick the door in and keep on living until I hate live no more.
Speaker 2: That's right, Ms Warfield. It was a pleasure. We could sit here and talk to you for hours. Thank you for your wisdoms, Thank you for coming. It's Marshall Warfield. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Wake that hands up, hear in the morning. Breakfast Club.