Speaker 1: Wake that hands up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody is d J n V Jesse, Hilarry Charlamage the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got some special guests joining us today, indeed from the shop, the shop. From the shop, we got mad recorded and Paul Rivera welcome fellas.
Speaker 4: Thank you, you're feeling fantastic. Thank you for having us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, home on y'all knowing each other.
Speaker 4: We met in two thousand and nine. Yeah, at Nike. He was working at Nike. I started my career at Nike. And the term long time ago, twenty something years he was. Then you don't know what year you started working? Oh seven seven and then we met. Oh wait, oh nine.
Speaker 1: But it's like, dog is you spent so much time?
Speaker 3: So what did y'all do at night?
Speaker 1: It is a Nike.
Speaker 3: I never Nike.
Speaker 4: I don't work there, but people always say the check that they don't used to swoosh. They always say this swoo But I was a intern in two thousand and one. Then I was a consultant. Then they employed me. I dropped out of school and started working there and I worked in sports marketing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my last job at Nike, which is how we met and got tight. I was the global marketing director for the Lebron brand, so in the off season we take global athlete tours, take brand of China and Madrid and do all those things. So, as I said, Doggie is because you spend a lot of time to get you know.
Speaker 6: I read Rich Paul's book and Rich Paul talks about how you know, Bron didn't know what he wanted his team to do. He just was like, Yeah, I'm gonna figure something out. So that was your thing, mad Let me go to Nike, and my thing.
Speaker 4: Was I met a gentleman who is responsible for my career named Lynn mad a gentleman general, the General as we call him, worked at Nike for thirty years. Amazing, amazing man, a black man who I met. We started talking, took a liking to me and was like, offered me an internship. And to your point, at that moment, I was nineteen, so Lebron would have been sixteen. I was like, shit, this is an opportunity. I'm just in college. This is an opportunity to further my education. I was playing basketball and when I got there, I was like, I want to learn here and I was like this is my dream job. We all know, like you guys in my family. I was like, this is a good ass job. This shit comes with get something done at the dentist if.
Speaker 7: You need it, that's all that matter.
Speaker 4: It was a good ass job and I get to learn and I get to be able to provide something back to Lebron's team eventually when he becomes Lebron.
Speaker 3: So that was the thinking, how did you know Lebron since he was sixteen or nineteen.
Speaker 4: I met Lebron when I was He came to my eighth birthday party he was five.
Speaker 7: My dad and mom were friendly with his.
Speaker 4: Stepfather and mom. Where we lived on the north side of Akron. It's a hill called Howard Street Hill. I lived on in the housing on top of the top of the hills, like a low income neighborhood where I live at the bottom of the hill is literally the projects at the bottom of the hill. That's where Lebron lived. And it's literally called the bottom because and I think about that now as I've gotten older, like that, it's like, if you ask Lebron and you he knows you from Akron, where you're from, he would say the bottom, but he's referencing the projects that are at the bottom of this hill. But it's also at the bottom of socioeconomic life and everything. So he was from there. I was from there. So we lived basically in the same neighborhood. I just lived in the houses. He lived in the projects at the bottom of.
Speaker 3: The How did y'all get tight? Since he was so many years younger than you.
Speaker 4: He was always taller, so he didn't look so he didn't look like no, his ears looked like he was seventeen. And he was always exactly like he is smart and thoughtful, so he can hang.
Speaker 7: So he would hang.
Speaker 4: And then he started moving around. He actually left the name, but his mom him and his mom is a number. He would have to tell you. They moved like nine times or something before the fourth grade, bouncing around. And then we reconnected when he was in middle school. I was in high school. By then, he was like the best middle school player in the city.
Speaker 3: He was always good in basketball at that age.
Speaker 4: Yeah, by the time he was fourteen thirteen fourteen in Akron, everybody knew of him. And his teammates by the way, who became my friends and then up being my teammate, and they came to the high school.
Speaker 1: I was at, give them, give them the MVP.
Speaker 4: Oh that's funny. I am still I would never bring this up like maybe I always say this to Lebron. I'm the only player who's ever played on his team who won the MVP and.
Speaker 7: Not him freshman exactly. I was a senior. He was a freshman.
Speaker 4: And to the credit, he did average a point one more point than me. He averaged eighteen average seventeen.
Speaker 3: I got player because you have seen because they give it you because you was a senior, so you ain't deserve it.
Speaker 2: So he really, I was with you, where do you get your demeanor though, man? Because you have a royal air royal? Yeah, you talk like a royal. Sometimes really.
Speaker 4: Said you can roy because I was like, I gotta go to work sweater.
Speaker 1: Sweater, getting royal.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you though, I'll take that, it's not wrong with it. My demeanor is a cross between my mom and my dad. My mom is super chill, easygoing woman and my dad is a doesn't shut up.
Speaker 7: He gets ignorant.
Speaker 4: And I had a thing with my dad that I really had the one time tell him my dad was this guy once at the time, I had moved. I was living in my house twenty six at my own place, renovated the ship, and he was still come in my house and like and like, you know, like you walk in the house, you take your shoes off, and you might do that on Monday, and you might not touch those shoes again. And you're like, I'm lead, he's at the door. I might fuck with him again. Later he might come in my house and he's just say, and I come out and he came in and my shoes are gone. So I had to tell him, like, yo, my man, listen, I will always always be your son, but I'm not your kid anymore. If you come in my house, you don't pick up things and take shit without telling me you don't. There's rules in my house, and I'm fine. If you don't like the rules, you don't come here. I'll visit you at your house if you But my dad is that guy.
Speaker 3: So that's how you got that mark right there, Dad puss out.
Speaker 5: One of my's best qualities, they're like, that's what you're picking up on is he's very non emotional.
Speaker 1: And I mean that in a good sense, In a business sense.
Speaker 5: He can make very rational, calm decisions I run hot, he's normally gonna talk me off the ledge. But I think that's one of his biggest skills, And that's probably what you're picking up on. Always calm, always cool, always gonna make a decision with the right considerations. He doesn't really often, you know, a lot of us get emotional.
Speaker 7: Thing.
Speaker 1: He's always had that since I met him before.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it feels like y'all always had like a really like air tight click. So how does somebody like Paul get in that mix?
Speaker 7: I don't know, is that for you? For me?
Speaker 4: I think you know, it's always been, to your point, very air tight in the sense that we love each other, We believed in each other, and we took this journey of growing together. That was the key, right me. Lebron, Rich, Randy, They've all grown together in every facet of our lives. We've been friends for you know, over two decades now, as Lebron being a pro athlete, we've all had kids, kids have grown up, We've seen growing to be husbands, fathers, boyfriends, friends, and then we also grew in business too, But we always kept those two things running parallel to each other, but separate, meaning meaning I always tell people when meet Lebron Richard Randia together, even to this day, it's not business twenty four to seven. It is very like, Okay, guys, we have to sit down and discuss this issue we're having or this thing we need to solve, this opportunity that's in front of us. But then most of the time we're at Lebron's house, playing cards, eating food, whatever, hanging like friends would. And I think Pete fit that same thing too. He fit that mode of like, oh, this is a guy that's like us, has a very similar background to meet. Me and Pete have a very similar background being our dads. Both spent time in the federal penitentiary way to college, on the way to the dead well, as I was told the kid that they were waiting for vacation, yes, and and but he also was intelligent and also knew how to grow and was always growing as a as a friend.
Speaker 7: But also in business too. So I think he.
Speaker 4: Fit right in to be a person that was a lot like us in the sense as friends and as business partners, we were growing and kept going the journey with us.
Speaker 7: Don't know, if you want to.
Speaker 5: Anything, you know, I think from day one, I don't know if you remember when I first took the lebron job at Nike, you know, I asked you what I needed to do to be successful in this role, and you said I was already doing it by even asking the questions. And I remember the one thing you said was don't ever lie to us, right meaning and not even lying like like even on some business shit.
Speaker 1: It was like, if you know something's not good, coming to me and tell me.
Speaker 5: You know, Mab, I know this isn't great, but it's the best I got right now. And He's like, and I got you. I'm always gonna hold you down, right. And I think I've never taken their relationship for granted. I've never you know, mAb's my best friend, MAV's son's my godson.
Speaker 1: Mad is my boss.
Speaker 5: And I don't confuse those things, right, I don't confuse those things. MAT's my business partner, he's the CEO of the company, chief brand officer. I don't ever confuse those things or take them for granted.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: So, whether it's playtime or we're having a good time, or we're drinking.
Speaker 5: Wine and too much wine or too much Lobos and doing the thing all day, and when it's work time.
Speaker 1: It's like, yo, I gotta run some things by you. What do you want to do?
Speaker 5: And I think we all treat it that way. He treats it that way with Lebron. You're twenty one, you know what I'm saying. I think that's just a the highest level of respect, accountability, and honesty with each other.
Speaker 1: And even when an issue may.
Speaker 5: Pop up, because you have those things, you're discussing them early before they actually become issues.
Speaker 1: I think that's been like great for us.
Speaker 3: I always wanted to know, like when you have somebody like a Lebron or even in any industry and that artist is your friend, or you know Lebron and basketball player is your friend, when he has a problem with somebody, do y'all have a problem with somebody? Is it that type of brotherhood? Like if that was the case, me and Chela may have a problem, but everybody problem with everybody. But in that case, is that the same thing with you?
Speaker 7: A business question?
Speaker 4: The sense that like that that comes up right, meaning you know, back in the day the beef with Deshaun Stevenson and and.
Speaker 7: Or it may be on the court, right, So I think it.
Speaker 4: If he has a problem with someone, the first thing we do is, first off, we're not at all afraid to say if he's wrong, doesn't mean we will tell you the world public or we will say, yo, that's a.
Speaker 7: Little bit you.
Speaker 4: We were having this discussion yesterday with one of us who was saying something. We were like, Yo, you're wrong, man. You you going the wrong way on this. So that's number one. Number two, if there is a problem with Lebron has a problem, when he had a problem with Deshaun Stevenson, yes it became a problem with all of us.
Speaker 2: That was a real issue.
Speaker 7: Like that was that was a real That was it.
Speaker 4: That was a real issue because Lebron is not a shit starter.
Speaker 7: By the way, Lebron, that is not his He's not.
Speaker 4: He'll get in like if you want to go there, he'll do it, but he never starts anything. He's really thoughtful and really observe it and sees everything. In fact, I always tell him he should he'd be a much better case worker than than basketball players. Like he's the guy that, like, you know, like you go to this house at dinner, he'll be like, you're envy three cookies. You're like, like, you got a chef heard that making cookies. Let me eat a cookie, and like, you know, of my case. But anyway, so he sees everything, but he's not a shit starter. But like in that instance, it definitely was a.
Speaker 7: Thing that Deshaun made a thing. And then.
Speaker 4: One day I was actually at I was in Spain. Actually it was a preseason game between the Wizards and the Hornets.
Speaker 7: I was with Chris Paul.
Speaker 4: We were out in Spain, and they acted like they really wanted to do something to me, like a couple of Wizards players like where I felt like, nothing happened, but you know how you would be like I was in the club in Spain, Sean and two guys. I was by myself. I was with Chris, but they maybe had left. I was just hanging. It was packed in Barcelona, and nothing happened, but you know, they made me feel like I had to go to the bar and order two beers and I don't even really drink beer. So yeah, if Lebron has a problem with someone on the court, it could, but sometimes it doesn't, like you know, because basketball thing could be like they had an issue, so he filed somebody too hard, they followed him. It's an issue tonight and then it's all good after the game whatever. But if it's a real thing that carries on, then it could be coming.
Speaker 3: Because as one of the goats in this in in the basketball league, somebody's gonna have a shot, right, They always take shots because they always want to take shots at the guy that's on top. So what must happen all the damn time? And I know a lot of times he won't reply. But do y'all ever feel like, well, he ain't gonna reply, but I'm gonna reply.
Speaker 4: No, that's not our style.
Speaker 1: My whole thing is just keep it consistent, right, Like, keep it consistent.
Speaker 5: And I think I'll never speak for bron but I think even you guys, right, you know, like it comes with the territory of being in the public eye, so you know, you deal with it.
Speaker 1: I think it's when it.
Speaker 5: Crosses the line and it becomes personal you're doing those types of things.
Speaker 1: You know. I came in to I won't say the name, you know this.
Speaker 5: I bumped into someone, a media personality and they were talking super reckless, actually.
Speaker 1: Talk a reredless about you when you did the commencement speech. You can figure out who it was.
Speaker 5: Usc and for me that crossed the line because it was like, why you know, that's not you know. So when I saw the person, I ain't have a problem with them or anything like that, but I'm also not.
Speaker 1: Cool with you.
Speaker 5: And the person came up to me and was like, Yo, what's good? Love everything y'all doing that? I have a problem with that, And I just told him, I'm like, yo, like, don't do that. He's like, what do you mean. I'm like, just keep it consistent, like you talk, and he was like, nah, you know, that's just for the thing. I'm like, now, that's not That's not what we do. So I think to maps point, we're never gonna start. We're not, you know, we're businessman's with dads at the same time, just keep it consistent, and you know, there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.
Speaker 1: Just as man.
Speaker 4: Last question about this, I remember that one.
Speaker 2: Did jay Z song agitate that situation when j did that freestyle?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah for sure, and Jay called me, I'll never forget he was he freestyled that for sure.
Speaker 7: He called me one that I was late at night. I was in.
Speaker 4: Ohio and Jay was on tour and he just grew up the stage in Oakland.
Speaker 7: He called me.
Speaker 4: He was like he just he was like I can still hear him, like breathing hard.
Speaker 7: He just say.
Speaker 4: He was like, yo, I was on stage and he came up with that ship on stage in Oakland. Jay came up with that got off stage, called me. He was like, yo, I got this and wrapped it to me through the phone.
Speaker 7: I was like, ship, that's it.
Speaker 4: And I knew right away, like, oh, this is going to make this thing. That's this thing. It's gonna and I was like, let's go. And he put it out I don't know, like a week later, and of course that of course elevated.
Speaker 1: Day. It's a mad verse. You haven't heard.
Speaker 6: How instrumental has Jay been. And y'all growth is businessmen and just men, period.
Speaker 4: One of the two three most important people in our lives, both personally and professionally. Because we were fortunate enough to start hanging with Jay about the same time I had that internship. I was nineteen, Bron was sixteen when we first met Jay in Chicago. I was remember how long it was because the first time we met Jay, we met Biggs and Tata first, and then we went up to see Jay in his room at the Ritz and when he came down the stairs, he was rapping and he was like, yo, I just let and they started talking about He was like, yo, I got the hit. I got the single for the album. So he Blueprint wasn't out yet right there, and we everything, not just Jay but his whole crew. We looked to them and modeled our thing, like that's that's what we want to be like for sure, and we modeled everything we did, thought do, think is modeled and thought about that and then we all became separately personal friends with Ja. We all have personal, separate relationships with Jay that have ebbed and flowed over years, meaning that spent a lot of time and we moved whatever, but it's always been personal and professional professional sense that we modeled it and studied and learned and personally because we all became personal friends with him, I can call him and go see him, and Randy has a relationship with him, and Lebron has a different relationship than I do.
Speaker 7: We all have these relationships with him that go back and forth.
Speaker 4: We're all in the group text with him with Pe now, so we're always talking and laughing and did somebody hear this new song, and what do you think of that? Talking music, talking business, talking life, sports is a big connection for us. We own a suite at so Far with Jay together, so been extremely instrument and it's.
Speaker 5: Dope till this day, you know when we do something business wise, but like I see y'all, it's always dope, like it's.
Speaker 1: The big homie like, so it's nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's talk the shop.
Speaker 8: So why does seasons be so short?
Speaker 7: He's in charge.
Speaker 2: Because y'all know, people want more.
Speaker 8: I mean it's probably a good thing that you leave people like wanting more, but they be short.
Speaker 2: How many? How many episodes?
Speaker 1: So you know, that's the most consistent feedback. We're here for sure.
Speaker 5: I think if I had to pick, I'd want people to want more than be like why y'all still up here?
Speaker 1: Still talking?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know we filmed Charloamagne's going on an episode. Great actually yeah n love.
Speaker 5: And yeah yes they both for yeah, yeah, so you know what, look the episodes.
Speaker 1: We get lost in the episodes.
Speaker 5: Meaning you know, and you can speak for it's like we're there. We taped for an hour and a half, two hours sometimes, but we found the model works a little better when we're shorter, so you know, thirty thirty five minutes. I think MAV's only, uh, you know point on this thing is let's just make sure the content should dictate how long the episode. Yeah, so if we have a great hour episode, great, If we have a great twenty seven minute episode, great.
Speaker 1: But that's the most consistent feedback we get, for sure.
Speaker 7: But I think that.
Speaker 4: To his point, the the person who's has the hardest job and is the most talented job for the show is the editor. Because, as you guys know, are the end of this show, you're sitting in a room with five six people. The conversation goes this way, goes that way, it goes this way, it goes that way, and the editor has to string that together. So when you watch it, it feels like one because in the room we're doing all type of shit. You know, last episode, Nelly had to pee in the middle of it. So so to get that continuity and to string it together, it's really hard. The editor, is it amazing to be able to pull that together? That's very hard because I may you may start a thought, he may jump in, you may jump in.
Speaker 7: You may come back to that thought.
Speaker 4: Twenty minutes later, like oh, I got something out of that, and you're gonna edit that together. So that becomes a very hard job of making it seem like one. It is one conversation, but make it have continuity through.
Speaker 3: The at what made y'all start the shout like what was the reason for we are tied board?
Speaker 5: Or no, I'll tell you you know, similar a conversation like this, I was. I found myself in rooms with people who I respect and was learning. You know, I made the comment I said, I learned more in some of these rooms, and I did in like my formal education, right, And my point was like, man, I could have used a lot of this information when I was seventeen, right.
Speaker 1: So it was like, you know, what can.
Speaker 5: We create that allows people the seventeen year old versions of pr MAV to.
Speaker 1: Be a fly on the wall?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 5: It was supposed to be a podcast at first, and then I took it to Randy, one of our other partners, and as partners offen do, he made the idea better and was like, yo, like we should actually make it like in a shop and have real barbershop conversation. So I think the beauty of it is it was never intended to be a show. It was never intended to be disfranchise this brand as anything it was trying.
Speaker 1: It came from an insight.
Speaker 5: Of like, man, like what if we can broaden these conversations for our communities and younger, the younger versions of us.
Speaker 1: And it's grown into what is grown into? Right, couldn't be any.
Speaker 4: Prouder of it.
Speaker 1: I want I want to ask you guys a question.
Speaker 5: Though our first episode season seven, you just referenced Nelly as experts.
Speaker 1: You heard Nelly.
Speaker 5: Say his era hip hop was the toughest era, most competitive.
Speaker 1: You guys agree, you guys disagree. I agree with the name that he said.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I agree. Oh, it depends what you're talking about.
Speaker 6: If you're talking about music and like business and sales wise, yes.
Speaker 2: Lyrically, I don't think so. If you're talking lyrics, I don't think that was got I think he was about selling. You talking about selling.
Speaker 7: Probably, Yeah, lyrically, what what you saying? I mean?
Speaker 6: I would say the ninety four probably like that whole ninety four era when you first got nas, when you first got big, when you first got Jaye, like that's when Whu tang Like that's that to me?
Speaker 2: That would be that era.
Speaker 4: So j thought before that the eighties, the like l ladies came, could you rap? How old are you?
Speaker 7: I remember?
Speaker 2: I remember, I didn't live it.
Speaker 4: I didn't live it, would say that, he would say, Kim lyrically, that's what he said.
Speaker 7: Literally, that's to your question.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I'm from New York so that that that era was heavy, the cool Raps, the rock Cams, the big Daddy Kynes. But there was nothing like the Jays, the Big the Nas and and and.
Speaker 6: We didn't live that late ladies there though they lived it like was he lived it, We didn't live.
Speaker 3: That ere Biggie, I mean during that time. I mean because you could go back from back and forth the lyrics. I did mixtaste back then and I and I remember and I still wrapped, you know, still play it now. But there was nothing like the Big Jay's, the Nash when when when I felt that later it was Romeo.
Speaker 2: They would get in.
Speaker 6: One of your ghost MAVERI you can't Ohio not front on bow Wow.
Speaker 7: It's fantastic and always been entertaining.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: Nice gowns, nice roy Roy.
Speaker 4: Like that.
Speaker 3: What was your answer to what Nellie said?
Speaker 5: What was your being from New York as well, I think I think that era.
Speaker 1: I think, uh, I think you think I think think Uh yeah, I think so. I think just But your point, Charlotmae is the right one. It's like, depends what the metrics we're talking about. We're talking about lyricism. We're talking about your successful records sold.
Speaker 4: For the problem you can the reason why you can't do it on successful records sold because it's not apples to apples. Lyrics is apposed to apples, like who can really write songs? Because based on records sold, well, then you have to track hip hop's growth as a genre, like hip hop was just bigger. The reason Nelly and Eminem and Jacob Selmour then the people in the late eighties because hip hop was still underground, like you know what I mean, was a little unfair to talk about it.
Speaker 3: But there was no streaming, so it made it difficult. You had to go buy records. You had to go to the actual store.
Speaker 2: It was a lot different.
Speaker 3: And back then it's they didn't have the releases like they do now. Now you could just write a record today and put it out tomorrow. Back then it was it was set up on a schedule, it had to come out on a certain quarter. And like you said, besides Eminem, you know Nellie J, you had NAS, you had DMX, who was a beast during that time. Rule I was a beast. That's like you had heavy hitters. That was the biggest of the big doctor money during that time.
Speaker 7: Stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like you had.
Speaker 3: Those guys that were selling records and like you said, they would never share a release date because you never wanted to share your sales with somebody. So those are the times.
Speaker 6: Nelly's interested though, because he was like the overachiever. Nobody had that expectation of nell including Nelly.
Speaker 5: Nelly was like, I thought we'd make some some some money, open up a couple of liquor stores.
Speaker 7: And even when he was selling that much, you were like, really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you don't expect that, you expect them.
Speaker 6: I want to ask y'all something about the shop, because I can't remember if it's the shop, are all as smoke? I can't remember which came first, but but it feels like y'all created the new media landscape of athletes having their own platforms. How important do you think that is to them? Contributing to their narratives and controlling their narratives.
Speaker 4: Now, I think, thank you for saying that, but listen, that was I tell people all the time. Like one going back to the beginning of what you just discussed, was in twenty ten one, we got killed and ostracized for Lebron dooking the decision. And then in twenty fourteen he essentially did the same thing, but he chose a new medium instead of being on TV. He wrote a letter and it was received and he was also going back to Cleveland, which but it was received much differently. And then we started a company with that at the center of like athlete empowerment and really having athletes be in a place where they can tell their stories the way they like and how they feel. And it's gone really far, which is actually what we wanted. We wanted all the smoke that happened, and we wanted Iron Athlete to happen, and we wanted new heights to happen. All these things. It's fantastic. We celebrated. Yeah, we think it's amazing and are here for it. I think the idea of controlling your narrative sometimes gets misused in the sense that like our ambition was always for to tell stories, to tell amazing, amazing stories. It's not about it's not about necessarily like a politician who needs to get boats and control you make people feel this.
Speaker 7: Way or that way about you.
Speaker 4: It's like telling your story and some people can love it and some people may not. But the fact that all these things have come now is amazing to us, and we celebrated, and I think for us, it was always about building a company and a place and a brand that represents amazing stories and the ability to tell amazing stories, and building a place that could work with athletes and give them the proper resources to tell these amazing stories. And we've been fortunate enough to tell a lot of amazing ones, from Muhammad Ali to Naymar to Naomiosaka to obviously lots of things with Lebron and when Emmys, and we've been happy. But the thing where I was proud about is that all these now athletes are doing it too, and.
Speaker 7: We love that.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask because you mentioned when it made the decision to go to Miami as a team, it was different, right, because you guys changed the narrative for NBA, right, meaning most players they're good players, they stay on that team forever, win, lose, bad a drug. But you guys chares the narrative and saying, hey, these owners make decisions for us. Now we're gonna make our own decisions to see where we want to go, where we want to play with And that changed the NBA forever. How is that conversation as a team, because I'm sure somebody on the team was like, I don't know how this is gonna come across because y'all bossed up, was like, well, fuck it, We're gonna do it our way.
Speaker 6: In I remember rich Paul vividly being upset during the decision on Twitter.
Speaker 4: I remember that completely. It's it gets interesting now what you just said. But Richie, it was upset. He was right by the way for the thing he was saying and feeling. But Lebron is right also, and and you know, those two things can be mutually exclusive.
Speaker 7: You don't have to have a right and.
Speaker 4: A wrong right. You can two things can be right at the same time. Lebron is right in a sense that here's the one thing Lebron. Lebron has a quality that Jay Z has. I always tell people this, Lebron always knows what's right for him. It's a quality that I wish I had and would probably always heat. He just nails it all the time.
Speaker 7: He always nails it. Jay is like that.
Speaker 4: Jay always knows I'm gonna do this song. I'm gonna do this feature, not that feature. You like why he can't explain.
Speaker 7: It to you.
Speaker 4: But if you ask lebron Man, should I have chicken a fish to that, He's like, I've hed a line that with you should eat like But he knows exactly in the most intricate hard time. Going back to Cleveland, I didn't. I was like, I don't think this is right.
Speaker 1: Like he was like, I'm not going back back. I'm not going to about him anymore.
Speaker 7: I'm done.
Speaker 4: I moved to La I did not go back, actually, but I know it was not because of the of Dan Gilbert, the owner in Cleveland. Like that man said that why would you go back and help him? And he knew and he said something to me. He says, Ma, Viet, I'm in favor of progress over pride. Get rid of your pride. You're making a prideful statement. I was like, I am, and I'm gonna make it again.
Speaker 7: I'm like, I would not.
Speaker 4: Do that I would have not ever went back to Cleveland. He knew that was right for him. So Lebron always was able to do that. And I think you know, to your point, you said he changed what happens then, But the fact of the matter is again a bit like hip hop, the NBA has just gotten bigger and more talked about. More players have like Kareem left the Bucks and went to like players have done that before. It was a new idea, but it just became bigger. You know, the conversions of Lebron, how big the NBA was, we did the decision. All those things combined made it seem much bigger. But but Lebron always knows. He has a like a sixth sense of like I should do this, and not.
Speaker 2: That I mean that it was good.
Speaker 6: That's his greatest championship, Like that's what clean after one?
Speaker 7: I mean he would That's a good question, like are all.
Speaker 4: Championships equal to No?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 6: I always said if Lebron stayed twenty years in Cleveland, for twenty one years and had that one ring, I think that the argument between him and MJ wouldn't be what it is.
Speaker 7: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: I think people might give it up the Brons definitively one ring means more than the four you think, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: And I think Paul agree. I think if he comes to New York and wins, winning, don't.
Speaker 1: Got me in trouble.
Speaker 7: You know, ask about the shot, Paul.
Speaker 6: That was a risk, right, putting the active player and giving them a platform then and letting him talk freely.
Speaker 5: Maybe so, But to MAVs earlier point, Bron is so clear and what makes sense for him, And I think it's never risk if it's authentic to you, right, like if you believe in what you're saying. I think Bron has always been very clear on what he wants to say, how he wants to say it, and double down on it, stand on business as the kids say. But it was one of the first of it's kind. I think, Look, I think the shop is unique. You know, the barber shop as four men here. The barber shop isn't a new idea, right. I think what was different from ours was the diverse rooms and voices we put in a room and the conversations we have. What you won't hear in the shop is like, who's the best basketball player ever? I mean it's Lebron, but neither here nor there. Like you know, you won't hear any of those things.
Speaker 2: The greatest come on, come on, we'll take it off. It's still Kobe Fair, another kid from Akrone.
Speaker 6: You can put him into born in Akroneph Curry not in the goat conversation.
Speaker 1: Yes, of all time, app of all time.
Speaker 2: Yes, Steph Curry revolution to be cleared greatest shooter.
Speaker 1: Of all time for sure. Yeah and he beat brun three to one NBA fin Golden State.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, thank you, thank you, my roy.
Speaker 5: But no, I mean, look the shop, the conversation is there, No, But what makes it, what makes it different from me at the shop, is just these conversations, right, the conversations we have and I think you know not Trent, but the product when you think about it, is it all feels like an extension of the conversation which you to have with our community.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: We view the shop not just as a show anymore.
Speaker 5: We view it as a brand, but more importantly as a platform to have those conversations. So, like you know, the men's grooming line was just an extension of those conversations. And you'll see more of it, right, You'll see you know which we've taken the shop from a show to live experiences HPCU tour. I saw you on one of the tours, Live City Tour product, you know, experiences, all those things, so you know, we're treating it like a platform and want to make sure we're just authentic to like that barbershop experience.
Speaker 8: How do you pick your guests because not any and everybody can just get on the shop, you know what I mean, Like, how do you guys scout out your guess?
Speaker 4: Well, we start with the idea of trying to get a room of people who will have an interesting conversation with very interesting conversation. So not all musicians are all athletes. Like how do you get people from different walks of life? Because that is when you grew up going to the barbershop, like we all did.
Speaker 7: The whole point of it was when.
Speaker 4: You went to my barbershop as a kid, they'd be like the fireman, the city worker, the.
Speaker 7: Local drug dealer.
Speaker 4: They were all there, and the conversation kind of ebbed and flowed and took these twists and turns. If it started off like talking about high school football, then you might talk about NFL football. But then it might go into the politics of the city and what's happening with the mayor, and you know, there was always the guy there was preaching like we should be paying more attention to.
Speaker 7: Politics and education.
Speaker 4: So we try and bring that to life, that feeling of like these are all different people. You have the mom in there with their sons. So women were always represented in the shop. So we try and always go like, okay, how can we create a room of diversity different people and also people who won't just agree with each other. My grandmother had a saying that I still say this day. I say it in the company all the time. If two people always agree, one person isn't needed. So we try and bring that in our company, but also in the shop. Always like to have it. It doesn't have to be an art. It's not an argument, right, It's like an interesting conversation where because to me, I always say, all my friends, all the people I hang with, are people that I almost eight or nine times out of ten when I sit and talk with them, they say something to me that I go, damn, I.
Speaker 7: Never thought about it that way.
Speaker 4: Those are the best type of conversation to me. That means I'm either learning something or you're pushing me to think about something differently.
Speaker 7: Doesn't mean I.
Speaker 4: Agree with you, but it just means I never thought about it that way.
Speaker 7: Damn, that's interesting. I need to think.
Speaker 4: I was having a conversation with a writer yesterday, right Thompson. I don't know if you guys know, right Thompson. Fantastic writer from Mississippi. And he's he's written this book on m Mattil that I encourage everyone called The Barn and it's very awesome this book he's written. And we had a supposed to be an hour conversation. We were talking about his book. He's wrote many books, but this is his third book, I think. And he's a writer for ESPN, A white dude from a little small town in Mississippi. And I was learning so much and he was pushing me to think. We went on for two and a half hours because I was just kept going like, damn, you're right, I never thought about it that way.
Speaker 7: And think what about this?
Speaker 4: And we were just going back and forth and didn't agree on everything, and he was telling me about his and like those are the best renversation. So we try and bring that feeling to the shop. Because that was the feeling we had as a kid in the shop. A lot of the ship that I know and feel, my demeanor comes from the barbershop. I grew up in Kareem's on on Mildred and Howard, on the corner of Mildred and Howard.
Speaker 7: I grew up going.
Speaker 4: There that that everything about me comes from that place.
Speaker 6: What's the difference between the Shop and Mavericks with mav Carter or even now Lebron Show with JJ Reddick, Like, what's going to separate those three shows?
Speaker 4: Great question? Lebron Show. I don't know if you guys have watched it. A new episode comes today or tomorrow. Too high level for me is too scientists, it's Lebron mind. The game Lebron and JJ Reddick is like watching two scientists talk about, you know, mixing chemicals in a laboratory, or two wine talking about, you know, the soil in which so that is a very It's so deep in fact, there's a when you watch it, there's a key for like when they use a term that you have to and listen.
Speaker 7: I played basketball.
Speaker 4: At a pretty high I played Division one basketball in the Mid American Conference, so I feel like I know basketball really well, and I can keep up, but when they talk I have to sometimes go, guys, what does that mean? Some of their terms after and then when I get it, then when they say the term, I'm like, Okay, I know what that is. That show is about basketball. JJ and Lebron are both super high level, like genius level basketball, but they do bring it to a level where JJ does mostly to a level that is digestible. And if you love hoops and you want to get smarter about hoops and watch the game and understand it in a different way, that show is for you. That show is for you, and that show came out last week the first episode. They're gonna do an episode and it's gonna get great. They eventually will bring guests on, like coaches other players, but that show is going to be the place anybody in basketball who wants to go show. I also know basketball, well, My show is a much different show. Shout out to KP who runs the spring Hill brand, who pushed me to do it. I did not want to do it, not because of any other reasons. Besides, I have enough job so fucking ready. But it's all about bringing on people who one on one will force me to have a conversation where I go, Damn, that's interesting. So I have Shonda Ramzh who I am a fan of her, but I never watch all of her shows. I am not like a Shonda Land Who've seen every episode of every show. But I also go into every episode. Not you guys do this every day, every single day. I don't do it every day, but I don't overly prepare. And the reason I don't overly prepare is because I want to let my actual curiosity just guide me through that conversation just naturally. I don't want to know too much about you because I actually sit there at Jay shed on what I'd never heard of before he came on the show. Now I learned so much from him and talking to him. That's a guy, that's great good man. So that show is about bringing on people who are the most interesting people in the world to me, and I'm I'm personally interested in learning from and hopefully the audience will learn as I learned. In the Shop, which is the oldest version of it. Is obviously multi There's many people on the show, and it's about community in the sense that we're all part of one big community, bringing people together that from all walks of life to push and challenge and laugh about different topics.
Speaker 1: I mean, what was what was your experience like on the shop?
Speaker 2: As I guess, I loved it. It felt like exactly I said. It just felt like a kickback and you.
Speaker 6: Could actually get too loose and get lost in you know, and I got introduced to a fantastic wine.
Speaker 5: I think one for me, like the greatest compliment I ever been paid on the shop was when we had Jay on and Jay was sitting to.
Speaker 1: My left like jess Is, and we're talking and.
Speaker 5: Doing what we do and and Jay kind of looks over at me and he's like, Yo, when do we start recording? And I'm like, we've been recording for twenty minutes, right, And it's like it just let me know that we're having an organic conversation. You never hear similar here. You never hear action, You never having a conversation. I think that's when you get the good stuff, right. You guys are the best at It's like when you get the good it's just conversation.
Speaker 1: Doesn't feel like a Q and A or an interview.
Speaker 7: I've got two more quess you guys, yes, question.
Speaker 2: No, okay with HBO ever necessary.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, HBO was a fantastic partner. HBO validated the shop because HBO, in my humble opinion, it's it's it's not the same anymore, which sides me a bit. HBO was the Louis Vuitton of TV.
Speaker 7: Immediate, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was, uh, the Porsche of TV, meaning it was Nike like it was one of those bards when you were on HBO, it meant like ship that's an HBO show.
Speaker 7: When I said to you, are you watching blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: On HBO, You're like, oh oh, And all the other networks have had good shows and hits, but HBO hitting that stamp.
Speaker 7: I told one time.
Speaker 4: I told the CEO of HBO, Richard at the time, I said, us having the shop on HBO is like getting your own sneaker at Nike. And he said, I'm gonna use that on the board. I said, that's what HBO means. You have a show on HBO. It's literally like, oh, I got my own shoe from Nike. He definitely definitely.
Speaker 5: People ask me, I'm like, no one needs the New York Yankees, but they validate your year in New York Yankee right. And I think for us, to answer your question, Charlotte, man like, we learned a lot from them. They were great, a great partner for us. Learned a ton in the four seasons we were with them, And I think we grew up as a business, as entrepreneurs, as a show and it was just time for us to, you know, take it on our own and grow our own audience and explore other opportunities. But they were a great partner for us. I think if we could do it all over again, we've said we do it again.
Speaker 1: You know that we do absolutely the right move at that time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And my last question, it feels like twenty one years is gone by very quickly. Nobody, nobody expected twenty one years. I don't, you don't, you don't, not not at this this level. So when did y'all start up? When did y'all start setting up for life after basketball?
Speaker 7: Probably in year four?
Speaker 4: Not not in a like, not in a way of like what are we going to do when basketball is over? More so, like I tell people, I left Nike and Lebrons, like yo, I want you to come help me, fire my agent, come work with me.
Speaker 7: Did that for the first I mean.
Speaker 4: Not now any not anymore, but probably as recently as like three or four years ag well, but definitely at the beginning, I said, I started to think my first name was Lebron's and my last name was friend. That's how I got introduced Withron. I was like, damn, my last name is friend. My first name was four years ago. He was still doing it, not in the not in a way like not in no way like that. That's why I corrected myself, like the beginning, but still for sure some people go, what is matter? Like they won't say friend anymore, they dropped a friend, which is but so I would say, we didn't start talking about it in a way that was like what are we gonna do when basketball is over? We're gonna be very tactical and thoughtful.
Speaker 7: Wasn't like that. It was actually just.
Speaker 4: More like pure human emotion and and and a bit ego too, of like of like me Rich Randy going like we're gonna work and we're no longer introduced as Lebron's frind like that was a big part of it. That that that actually I think I still I'm almost sure I still have that chip. And Lebron was completely he was the ringleader of it, like, Yo, I want you guys to It's funny he talks about now he's like I used to. He'll say to me now or to Rich. I wanted you guys always to go be your become your own men. But I never knew turned into so much.
Speaker 7: I don't even see you guys like we used to, Like we don't because we work so much.
Speaker 4: But so it was more like that, like that feeling of like and then and then strategy and tactics.
Speaker 7: Obviously how we.
Speaker 4: Thought about it became a thing. Rich found his lane and became the best agent in sports. Was never going to be my thing. I liked being more of an entrepreneur doing other things, and Randy found his lane, always being you know, in charge of everything Lebron and Lebron's chief of staff, but actually talking about post basketball. The first time I had a conversation of of really post basketball Lebron. The first time he said the word retirement to me was five weeks ago. First time I've ever heard him say the word. Man, we just sit down and talk about retirement. I never he had never said that to me, and we actually I was like, oh shit, I guess we should so we had never and we sat down. I was like, Okay, here's all the things to think about. There's this, there's media. Do you want to you're never gonna call games? Do you want to do more stuff in media?
Speaker 1: Team?
Speaker 4: And we're like, let's just lay it all out and you can think about it. But literally that was I can look back. They were in Houston playing the Rockets because I flew to Houston. I was in Houston already and I flew and I went and saw him. First time he ever mentioned the word retirement. What do you let's talk.
Speaker 3: About the headliness are gonna say? Mavericks says, Lebron to retirement, so this might be his last season to be sure.
Speaker 4: After he heard Charlomagne the God say Lebron, Lebron is actually going to play ten more years to prove Charlletmagne the God he's one of the all time greats.
Speaker 2: Did you realize he was spoiled in that moment?
Speaker 6: What do you mean when he said five weeks ago he's gonna retire and you have a look at like he isn't.
Speaker 2: Normal for somebody to play twenty one years, you know, isn't normal.
Speaker 4: It's not normal for anybody to do.
Speaker 7: It's hard to do anything at this level.
Speaker 4: And when you add the level, when you add the toll, I think if Lebron could play, if Lebron didn't have to play road games, he might play ten more years. He could play ten more what's really wiring on him is to travel, leaving family, leaving his house, you know, waking up in a hotel in Milwaukee, and he's like, why am I here again? He would tell you, like, why am I here again? And you a billionaire already, and I got a lovely house and a wife and kids in la and and he would tell you. But the minute he walks into the arena and the lights come on, he's like, oh, yes.
Speaker 7: This is why I'm here.
Speaker 4: But in that hotel in Indiana in March, he's like, what am I doing here? Why am I here? I always tell people that's the hast thing, like to be that guy that long and to really still go out there and play basketball, and like, it's not it's clearly not about the money. Like if anybody thought he was playing for money, it's clearly not.
Speaker 7: But I think.
Speaker 4: I realized, I think I'm definitely spoiledful because I've been up close and personal to see a person who is so dedicated, so committed for so long. So I've been able to see that, and it's I was spoiled, jaded, a bit naive to like, oh, this is what how it's supposed to go.
Speaker 7: It's not.
Speaker 4: But then I think, as fans, I sometimes am like, even when I'm in La, sometimes like, should I work all day.
Speaker 7: La?
Speaker 4: The traffic is the beast, as we all know, to drive all the way downtown. But I'm like, but it's fucking Lebron James. I'm going to watch Lebron jet. I'm going like that is when I think about that point that you brought up, for sure, But it's definitely a sense of like we all got spoiled, as even all of us as basketball fans, that he's gonna be here forever or he played twenty one He's played twenty one seasons and not had one. He's never had a bad season, never never had a bad season, not even close.
Speaker 7: To a bad season.
Speaker 6: I think what y'all do is respect it. It's not gonna be appreciated until he walks away. When he walks away, they're gonna look at the whole totality of everything that y'all accomplish.
Speaker 2: And that's what NIGGAA like really give give y'all to just do.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that happens with a lot of things, right, Well, why is that right?
Speaker 9: I don't know, because it happens in a lot of every think people's gone, Yeah, that's when you get a chance to really look at Yeah, we look at things and segments now like we're looking at to see what we look.
Speaker 2: At the whole totality of everything that's been accomplished over the last twenty years.
Speaker 3: But then we say, does it continue precedent? Because Lebron has two boys that are amazing in basketball? Now does it continue?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Do you continue on that same lineage.
Speaker 7: Never being Lebron Jones? Not even not it's.
Speaker 4: It's nothing's impossible. But the things that make him who he is, it's it's really hard to get that cocktail of things to make that person is.
Speaker 3: Well, if the Knicks pick his son you Moving to New York's last question, I love me and you talk off right, I would love I appreciate.
Speaker 1: You guys for joining us. Maverick card Pol thanks for having us seventh season.
Speaker 3: Of That's right, the shop on YouTube and definitely check out all the grooming products.
Speaker 7: That they.
Speaker 1: Don't have for the moms that bring their sons in the barber shop.
Speaker 4: But you know there are you're gonna start helping them learning groom because you know a lot of young boys and men think grooming and face cares for special occasions.
Speaker 7: For every day every day. Wash it every day.
Speaker 4: That's just when you're going to the prom or the big basketball game is daily. So that's what you're gonna do.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I can take the mirror, yes, and the.
Speaker 3: Breakfast Club in the morning, wake that hands up in the morning club.
Speaker 7: Breakfast Club