Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the Elusive flavor note in your puzzle tasting flight. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and today's guest is the great Jeremy Hobson, journalist, podcaster, host of The Middle with Jeremy Hobson, found on NPR and on podcasts. Welcome Jeremy, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It's so great to be here.
Speaker 1: We love having you. Congratulations on your first episode. You nailed it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Now though, you have to face Greg Pliska, our chief puzzle officer, So I'm going to bring him up and let him administer.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you've dragged the ogre out of the basement to drag him up here, n chain him and let him loose, you know, before we before we get into this, just Jeremy, you're the expert about the middle of America. Is Colorado a Midwestern state?
Speaker 2: No? Definitely?
Speaker 3: Not all right, so we're gonna cut that from the last episode.
Speaker 2: We just pretend no, definitely, No, No, I think I said middle, yes, middle middle. Colorado is definitely in the middle of the country. Colorado does not mean that doesn't mean it's part of the Midwest, which is different Rockies.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I said middle America.
Speaker 3: I believe that was weird.
Speaker 2: But by the way, by for the definition of my show, I think of middle as everything from like Richmond, Virginia to Sacramento, California. That all counts as middle.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I also, why not why wouldn't like Mexico and El Salvador be middle America because it's middle the other West?
Speaker 2: Yes, right, that's true if we're thinking of the America's Yes. Yes.
Speaker 3: My good friend, the recently departed singer Jim Salestrom, used to say he came from Central America, Nebraska, right, that was It's gonna flip that joke the other way. Well, this puzzle, Jeremy, is all about the middle, but not the middle of America or the middle in politics. It's about the middle of words, okay. In fact, what we're going to do is is take a four letter word, insert a letter right in the middle, and get a five letter word.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So, for example, if I said the host of Wheel of Fortune owns a lot of legware, that would be cluing blank blank, So the host of it would be somebody's something. It would be Pat's pants exactly, Pats Jacks pants so Pats, I.
Speaker 2: Was thinking of say jack and I was like, it's say Jackson. No, that can't be right.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a that's a five letter word. So we stick a jay inside the sack. It doesn't make any sense. All right, Very good, very well done. It's always going to be the four letter word followed by the five letter word when we play this. Okay, all right, So here's your first one. If the author of Huckleberry Finn had an identical brother, he would be the blank of blank, the twin of Twain. Yes, very good, Mark Twain. And of course Huckleberry Finn is another good Middle of America store.
Speaker 2: At right, what a great story.
Speaker 3: Right down the Mississippi. All right, well done. Here's another one. Afternoon socials held in Dallas are better known as blank in blank. Hmm.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm thinking that it's got a Texas has to be one of those. Okay, so teas in.
Speaker 3: Texas, Te's in Texas exactly. I like the way you work that out going backwards. You know you got the five letter word.
Speaker 2: Well, and I thought to myself, is there some word for an afternoon social in Dallas that I don't know about?
Speaker 3: Is it a hoe down where do they come? Okay, a very specific regionalism, right that they have only in Dallas. Now it's a general teas in Texas. Okay, all right? Moving Uh, this one I think kind of moves outside the middle. Actually it goes to that the edge where I live over here in New York City in the afternoon, on the way home from work, I like to blank on the blank of my brownstone to chat with the neighbors.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking that one of the words is stoop, Yes, to stop on the stoop.
Speaker 3: Stop on the stoop of my brownstone exactly. And I don't know. I mean, I think that's the only thing. When we say stoop, we mean that front steps of a brownstone. That's not a port.
Speaker 2: Unless you're saying, like, how could you stoop to that level?
Speaker 3: Totally? Look here on the puzzle, will stoop to whatever level we can as as we can, right, I mean the clue for Kansas, Yeah, on the last episode should have been butts plus butt cans an ass. I mean, I don't know why we didn't go there.
Speaker 1: We are a high brow show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, speaking of not high brow, here's another one. Sasha Baron Cohen is planning a cruise, featuring his most beloved character. So you can get on a blank with blank.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, sorry, I was okay, So I was thinking Borat and then I was thinking Bora, Bora, but that's not what we're doing here. So a boat with Borat.
Speaker 3: I love that, though. I see you've got to come back and do the edges. We'll cut off the edges of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta write the next puzzle. You got to join our writing exactly.
Speaker 3: All right, let's see two more. Okay, Prince saying about speaking of the Midwest, the middle of the country, Prince Great Minnesota, Minnesota, Prince saying about a raspberry one. But I prefer vegetables. So I'm getting a blank colored blank, a beat colored beret. Beat colored beret, which is kind of like raspberry is a similar color.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 3: Right, your last one. I was expecting something about Tesla or Twitter, but instead I got Goodbye yellow brick Road. That's what happens when you confuse blank with blank.
Speaker 2: Ah, I've got it, And in fact, it was an answer in a crossword puzzle that I just In fact, it's been an answering a number of crosswords. The word elton, so we're talking about Elon and Elton. Yeah, but Elton, British singer John is all over the crossword universe right now.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's a good word, right, It's got interesting vowel positions, yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you've got Eton, which of the British. The British right always in there, so Elon Elton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Elon appears in puzzles a lot too because it's an interesting mix of letters. But yes, that's Elon Musk and Elton John. Well that was great, Jeremy, well done.
Speaker 2: This makes me so happy because I was very worried. I was very worried about the puzzler. I thought I was going to do really badly and I was just going to be cute.
Speaker 3: But that's great.
Speaker 2: I feel good.
Speaker 3: You did well, You're preparation and you were cute.
Speaker 1: So it's perfect adorable adorbs. Where can people find more of your puzzling or non puzzling content.
Speaker 2: Wherever they listen to podcasts? You can download The Middle with Jeremy Hobson. Subscribe there and we've got a new topic every single week and panel guests and live calls. And the other thing is if you also want to listen to it live. I say also because I do want you to subscribe to the podcast. But if you want to listen to it live, it's on over four hundred NPR stations every Thursday evening at eight Central or seven seven Mountain nine Eastern, six Pacific.
Speaker 1: There you go, get them all. Greg, do you have an extra credit for the Puzzlers?
Speaker 3: I certainly do. I certainly do. Here's the extra credit. I've collected kitchenware belonging to Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, and Amanda Gorman because I love the blank of blank.
Speaker 1: Delightful. All right, I see Jeremy. I think he's got it. He's not in his head. Whether or not you got it, you will get the answer in the next episode of The Puzzler, So please don't forget to subscribe. Tell your friends, just spread the word why not, and we'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hey, puzzlers, it's the Chief Puzzle Officer, Greg Pliska, joining you once again with the extra credit answer from our previous episode. Jeremy Hopson joined us and we played Middle America Charades where every answer is the name of a state in the middle of America, and we include it using a charade, so your extra credit went like this Cyclops has one plus I should have known that, plus a gardening tool, and those three words are I, duh ho giving you the state Idaho. If you're in Idaho, we want to hear from you. We love having you listen, and we thank everyone for listening to the Puzzler Podcast.