Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's have a special shout out to our super producer, Max the Wedge Williams and you're old Brown size. I know, yeah, it's I like that. It's creative. You know, it's better than when people do like a what what.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's it's kind of fun mouthfeel. I know it has some sort of creepy uh anime nerds and cell tendencies, but I'm taking it back, y'all. I'm taking it back for the people, for the ridiculous storians out there.
Speaker 1: And as one of my favorite musicians once said, allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is Ben Boland. Don't call it a comeback. He's been here for years.
Speaker 2: I'm Noel. We got Max here on the Ones in the twos and I don't know, guys, what do you say we we we get Weggie with it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that, Get Weggie with it. I'm gonna order some crab cakes from Maryland.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Looking online at Maryland crab Cakes, you'll probably.
Speaker 2: Get in that gold belly situation though the ship here dry Ice where. I don't know exactly where we split this, but we were in the midst of discussing this hilarious and ridiculous conflict, and I guess we'll join it already in progress.
Speaker 1: It turns out the Maryland is not the only state Pennsylvania is beefing with. There is a sliver of land in the northwest corner of Delaware, and this becomes a source of great discord between Delaware and Pennsylvania for well over one hundred years, like one hundred and fifty years, they're beefs and it's like smaller than Central Park.
Speaker 2: Dude, Dude, we see this. We do so much of this stuff. It's sometimes it's hard to put my finger exactly on it. But there have been multiple skirmishes and issues and disagreements between countries and states over less. You know, it's like it's such petty ridiculousness, Frank, like beer to.
Speaker 1: Will right out there on the African continent, the part of the little piece of land that nobody wants for strange reasons.
Speaker 2: Oh that's funny, Ben, because that actually does pertain to our Terinolius episode, there's definitely some stuff about land nobody wants, and in getting to that in the conversation we do talk a little bit about some bizarre border disputes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also just for a sense of scale, this is a cool fact that Max found. Just for a sense of scale. Yes, this part of the land that they're fighting over, it is smaller than Central Park, but it's larger than the entire country of Monaco Ergo or therefore Monaco is smaller than Central Park.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's interesting, you know. And then as parks go, central parks pretty big. It is pretty big. It is pretty big.
Speaker 1: So if we go back to the to our special real estate agent we mentioned earlier, Thomas Craceup, cressapp will see that the conclusion of what people called Cresap's War resulted in the in the drawing of the Mason Dixon line by the colonial aristocrats. But it leads to further problems because Mason and Dixon, despite being super famous in American history, are also not super great at surveying things, even though that is their job.
Speaker 2: They're not the luminaries of drawing lines. It's a certain set of skills. But as it was, as it lay, you know, based on the I'm sure diligence due diligence that Mason and Dixon did for their line. It is a north to south line in the del Marva Peninsula, intended to establish the border between Delaware and Maryland, and something called the arc circle with a radius of twelve miles as measured from the courthouse in Newcastle, Delaware. And this was to give them sort of a frame of reference for where to start measuring. At this point. The arc circle wasn't really meant to be a boundary. It was more like a reference point, right, Yeah, a place to set up some markers and a benchmark to assist with the surveying. But as we're going to get to maybe not the best frame of reference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and to like you know, go back to like earlier like this, this whole a twelve mile radius circle that came from that like nonsense like bit from Pennsylvania's charter earlier on. So it's like if that was always so flawed that if this is being used, it's.
Speaker 4: It's like using bad rounded numbers to do.
Speaker 2: Math, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you see a domino effect, you see a cumulative effect of errors, right, you know, it's like building a wall. If you start with a bad foundation, the wall's just gonna get worse the further up you go. And so Delaware is sucked into this because at the time, this period of the seventeen hundreds, it's still part of the William Penn Land Grant. Penn's first landing at his what would become his new colony took place at Newcastle, which still Delaware today. And Delaware was it had its own legislative body, it was semi autonomous in the day to day municipal activities, but it was still considered part of Pennsylvania. And so with that in mind, uh, the three counties of Delaware today were the lower three counties of Pennsylvania. And so Mason and Dixon reacted to that, and that's part of where they started getting things even more wrong, especially like you were talking about that line at the del Marva Peninsula.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, there was I don't think there was any outright incompetence or certainly no malice here. It's just this is there's a lot of a lot of variables and things that can go wrong and that can compound. Right when you're measuring this kind of stuff, like over long enough distances. So here you're right is where they used a previously drawn line on that Del Marvel Peninsula, which another surveying team had marked as the midpoint of the peninsula. And the line was supposed to split the Del Marvel Peninsula as evenly as humanly possible. And again, we know, guys, when you're talking about splitting up land, it's not like magical, perfectly configured puzzle pieces that just lock in together. There's a lot of you know, kind of improvisation that has to go into figuring out the best way to do this stuff because they are not clean lines of demarcation. This is like wilderness. You know, if you look at the map, we're used to sing, this is the shape of a state, and we've committed that to our minds. But to get to that shape took a lot of interesting cocktail map. Yeah, and there's.
Speaker 1: A reason, you know, I studied this in the past and previous life. There's a reason that most original borders are geographically based. They're based on things like mountains, they're based livings like deserts, a river is great or a big enough lake, and that's that's because it's a natural line of demarcation. So when you're like you're saying, when they're having to split this in a man made reckoning, then it's very easy to get things wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, are beefing about like, no, no, it's got to be this is mine. I've made a claim to this. Okay, Well, now we have to take that into account and that and again, all with the best of intentions to make both sides happy. No neither side ends up happy. Right, But what I'm saying is even like the issue is that the earth is big and people are very small. Also true, it's a matter of scale. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: So this line that they work on, they go into this knowing it's going to be one of the most difficult parts of their journey because they have to cross several rivers on the peninsula. They have to literally wade through marshland and try to keep things up to snuff. And the line that they were drawing meets up with the east west line. You may on a map to play a lot of home, folks, but the circle we mentioned earlier doesn't meet up with everything until you get a few miles further south. This forms a triangle of land that becomes known as the wedge.
Speaker 2: Ah yes, the titular wedge of the podcast that we're doing right now. Initially not a huge problem when Maryland and Pennsylvania agreed to those initial survey results in seventeen sixty seven, but a merre you know, decade later in seventeen seventy six, or a decade in change, as the American Revolution becomes a much more ideologically driven war for independence, right, Delaware, in keeping with the thinking of the time, the zeitgeist, you know, broke away from the crown and the penn proprietorship in order to establish themselves as the thirteenth Colony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because Penn is like a fan of the crowd, right, He's associated with this. So if they want to be part of the American experiment, then they also.
Speaker 2: Can't be part of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: So the circle arc becomes Delaware's northern boundary, and the big question begins who actually owns this wedge? And then the question you might have now, which we certainly had, is.
Speaker 2: Why would you argue about.
Speaker 1: Such a comparatively small piece of land. According to authors like Stephen Marx, the bottom line is a matter of following the money. The taxation said that it's a square mile. But there's money involved, and every penny counts, So people want ownership because you know, the colonies are often hard pressed to finance their rebellion against the king. So this this becomes kind of a I don't want to say, quite a holy grail, but it becomes something that everybody is chasing.
Speaker 2: It represents something, right, It's less about the function of the land and more about the principle you know, of the thing, right, yeah, yeah, And it's about the money that you can make off of it.
Speaker 1: And now at this point we have to take a moment and make space, as they say, for the innocent bystanders, the you know, the farmers just living on the wedge, and they're like, who is in charge here? You're telling me to pay taxes? But are you the person I'm supposed to be paying taxes to? Are you part of Maryland? You're part of Pennsylvania? What is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And David Tristan of ABC twenty seven wrote in a piece called who Wants the Wedge? For nearly seventy years, Pennsylvania and Dela argued over who on the wedge? A sliver of land created when two lines from the Mason Dixon survey didn't quite intersect. Again, this is like a madical error. For the most part, administration of the wedge fell to Delaware simply because it was more practical. But by the eighteen forties some of the original marker stones set in the area by Mason and Dixon had strangely gone missing. In eighteen forty nine, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland decided it was time to re survey the area. Enter Lieutenant Colonel James D. Graham of the US Core of Topographical Engineers, which is a US Corps. I was not aware of Bumppom. So before we get in this, can we just talk about this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, why is it Core?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: It's a strange story, and I think it's a future episode. So let's note that. Also, it's funny that you are mentioning it's funny that we're going to talk about pronunciation, because colonel is pronounced like a popcorn colonel, but it's spelled in.
Speaker 2: A very yeah, and growing up with a lot of colonels and military members in my family, they don't think it's funny to ask about that. Anyway.
Speaker 1: It also reminds me we had an earlier conversation about the city of Wooster or Worcester in Massachusetts, and Max, you will like this fact in particular, a good thing about that town. They just decided that for their library system, they're not they're replacing late fees or lost book fees or damage fees and what you'll guess instead of paying them with cash, you pay them with Can you guess this is a real thing?
Speaker 2: It kind of sounds like cat's got a cast sound as we're a family show, We're going we'll tell you the truth. Well played, I said, give them the point. No, it's feet picks. Now, it could be.
Speaker 1: It could be feet picks kind of as long as it's a picture of a cat. You can pay your library fees in something they're called March Meowdness, which so it's only for March. I hope it continues. I think it's gonna I think it's gonna stick around. I co sign on all this anyway.
Speaker 2: We thought that would be.
Speaker 3: I have so many cat photos that this is perfect for me, like physical ones.
Speaker 4: Oh I could print them out. I I I.
Speaker 3: Had a painting at one point that someone bought that had a white cat, and people just give me stuff with white cats and when you have a very loud and very distinct white cat, people decide that that's like all that gets you in your life is like white cat things. I just have so many white cat things.
Speaker 1: Nobody gets me neibelung Swag, which is fine, that's the that's the type of cats I have.
Speaker 2: M hm, you know that that's from Wagner. Yeah, the Ring of the Nebs, the name of the the that's I I had no idea that was a capri.
Speaker 1: So back to the story we just had. We had a pretty cool conversation about cats.
Speaker 2: That it's not going to make the air.
Speaker 1: It's just for us, just for us, it's for the outtakes. But back to the story. There is this colonel and this lieutenant Colonel James Graham. He is tasked with finally sorting order from the chaos, and he has to figure out exactly where this arc line meets this north line. And then he said, okay, I'll do the math. I'll look at this. You know, it is my job. And in eighteen fifty he gives them the final draft of his report and he says, the true meeting point of these three states has the infamous wedge as part of Philadelphia people don't like this, especially people in Delaware. They see this and they say, on hell nah, you done up and done it. The Delawaress are not shout out to nappy roots, the Delawareans, which is the term. They are not happy. Nothing seems to get solved. The things go back to this unquiet status quo, and the poor residents of the Wedge yet again walk around, look at each other and say, beat me here, Max, who the fuck is in charge here?
Speaker 2: You know he's supposed to be on the word, not after it. I know you did good, right? Who is in charge? Indeed? This, you know, like a lot of parts of the country at this time, had largely been considered sort of an unoccupied no man's land, according to Stephen Mars, the director and archivist at the Delaware Public Archive. He goes on to say that there weren't that many people living there, and these people were quite independent. He also knows that the Wedge wasn't a particularly important political peace for either state, and then goes on to say that when you're trying to govern more populated areas, how much attention are you going to pay to the answer being not very much so. In eighteen eighty nine, Pennsylvania and Delaware decided to have another crack in it settling their dispute. This is this is the one, This is the time it will work. Sure we got it this time. So they set up sort of a I don't know, a summit of sorts to determine the boundary and ordered another, yet another survey under the direction of W. C. Hodgkins. Sounds like a real proper surveying chap of the Office of the US Coast and Geodetic Survey. Geodetic, how about that we're learning about all kinds of new niche little agencies that largely probably don't exist anymore. And his survey was conducted from the east west borderline of that arc line by extending it just to touch over three quarters of a mile. And really, micro, did I tell you guys that I think I'm not gonna make a fuss about it, but I'm technically in a border dispute with my neighbor right now. Yes, yeah, he just he just came a knocking and said, hey, awkward, but just FYI, I hired a surveyor and apparently your fence is about three feet onto my property, you know, and this this property hadn't been occupied since I bought the bought my house, and this guy just bought this lot and now he and so I'm like, do I hire a counter surveyor to confirm his findings. It's really no skin off my back, but it just goes to show that it's all about the attitude that you take that three feet to somebody else might be an active of war. Those are no hell no, those are my three feet. People die for very small It's wild, isn't it. And I can care less. But now that I'm do all this, I'm like, should I care more? It's my land, man, So yeah.
Speaker 1: This is but the you know, credit to Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland. They are all trying to determine this dispute through non warlike means, you know, and there's just a lot of negotiation and I hope that you don't get involved in a hot war over the fence. But as a result of this eighteen eighty nine initiative, eventually the Pennsylvania Assembly approves the results of the latest survey, and Delaware says, hang on a tick because one of the surveyors looking at the older work said, whoops. The original measurement for that arc circle we mentioned earlier is off by two thousand feet. We corrected the error, and so now we've made a new weird shape that is controversial. It's a stretch of land called the Horn.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you right now.
Speaker 3: I spent an hour trying to find a photo of the Horn or more descriptions than the Horn.
Speaker 4: There's nothing that's not a thing.
Speaker 1: And they say, the Horn goes to Pennsylvania, you are all made whole. But the wedge goes to Delaware and penzyl you'll get the horn. That is fair, it is right, and just the problem is that the Horn is part of Delaware, and the people who are living in the Horn are like, we're Delawareans, not Pennsylvanians, and so the the people there are also people in the Wedge who consider themselves Pennsylvanians despite the Wedge going to Delaware.
Speaker 2: And this.
Speaker 1: We see stuff like this in the modern day in the Balkans, in Eastern Europe, like anywhere there's an enclave of people, you know, there are a lot of folks who say, yes, I live in you know, Moldova or something, but I am Russian, you know, and I identify with Russia. That's what I consider my government. So anyway, Delaware politicians say, all right, we're gonna wait for everybody to calm down, get a level head, and then we're gonna move forward with the survey. And they waited twenty four years. So it feels like they were waiting for the angriest people in the crowd to die.
Speaker 2: Chill. Well, I was about to state, to chill most literally is and to go cold. That's oftentimes that's the name of the game, right is waiting out the assholes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so it came to pass that after twenty four years, Delaware ratifies the survey. The United States Congress over the moon to get this done with.
Speaker 2: Co signes it.
Speaker 1: They give it the stamp of approval. The two states set up an official marker to show where the east west line meets the circle arc, and in nineteen twenty one, the issue of the wedge and the horn is finally settled, about one hundred and fifty four years after it first became a problem. That is one of history's weirdest, most dariously ridiculous arguments. Over six hundred and eighty four acres of land, all which prompts are powered Max to ask, should we have just done a golf episode?
Speaker 2: You know, with all of the golf talk at the top, we kind of did it. We did already.
Speaker 1: Well we kind of like we got golfish with it.
Speaker 2: No, no, but but the history of golf is weird, The golfish is fast. It's it's a bizarre game and a game that requires so much land and and and uh you know, and and resources right and me.
Speaker 4: I mean it's basically curling.
Speaker 2: Okay, Max, I think you're coming from a position of of of bias there perhaps.
Speaker 3: I yeah, but they are both believed to be Scottish inventions that got been around for a very long time.
Speaker 1: Well, if you think about if you think about the mechanics of golf right and the history of it, then it's clearly based on sumo wrestling.
Speaker 4: But back in the think about.
Speaker 3: It, this is the true story when you putted people actually did sweep the green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I got you.
Speaker 1: We should do a golf episode because there's a lot of there's so much socioeconomic street tied up, there's so much there's so much skill required too. It's not a lazy game. And I think sometimes we will misread it as such. We wanted to in our episode here with a couple of tangents in trivia weird facts about Delaware. We didn't even mention its largest city as Wilbington. But here's something I thought, you know, I'll find interesting. The state symbol of Delaware is a blue hen.
Speaker 2: Huh. You know that really does kind of make me a little less skeptical of the idea of Ben Franklin wanting the United States bird to be the Turkey a blue hen. Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because during the Revolutionary War, US soldiers would carry around blue hencocks for like entertainment, and we don't know exactly the nature of that entertainment.
Speaker 2: Did they.
Speaker 1: I have a picture of all of us you listening a long at home too, folks. I have a picture of all of us hanging out during the Revolutionary War and where people forget sometimes that.
Speaker 2: War can be very boring. Oh so it becomes horrific, a lot of hurry up and wait for the movie. So I have this picture of us sitting around a campfire. We've already discussed any topic of interest that we could have over the over the past few months, and one of us is like bored, and then someone else says, you want to get the hen and then we like, yeah, say yeah, we'll get the hint. And then we just put the hen out and we watch it walk around. We're like, at, look at that guy, look at the like. That sounds pretty accurate, doesn't it It does.
Speaker 4: It sounds pretty fun.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and we may have a weird nerdy idea of fun here, folks. I didn't know Wilmington was Wilmington, Delaware was home to Bob Marley.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, what that doesn't seem right. He wasn't born there, Okay, Yeah, but he moved there in sixty five, and that's even weirder it would be it would. I mean, I know he wasn't born in the United States, but I'm saying, why would Bob Marley want to hang out? Again? No shade on Delaware, but it seems like the least Bob Marley blaze. Maybe it was different in the sixties. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean he actually got to follow up on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, according to Only in your State their page in Delaware, not only did Bob Marley live there, but he worked for the DuPonts.
Speaker 2: Yes, he did as a as a lab assistant. So wait this, but this is not in the heyday of his career, right.
Speaker 1: He was like living with his mother for twelve years, so he was still growing He's still growing up. He's a younger guy and he I think he was also working for Chrysler at some point. It was a forklift driver. He had regular dude jobs.
Speaker 2: That is very interesting. I had no idea. It's a weird one, huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I found an interesting one. It kind of relates back to remember an episode about Blue Loss. But like you know how some of them stuck around for a while in this. According to Delaware Online, in nineteen eleven, Upton Sinclair, you know, very famous author was arrested for playing baseball in selling ice cream on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Oh dear the heretic months.
Speaker 3: They be ten other people that we should point out there was also ten other people who got arrested.
Speaker 1: Good good, you know, like Syhai the Prince said no dope on Sundays. That's about Blue Laws exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we do have a fun little side to kind of take us out with because we've been talking a lot about this snipy kind of back and forth. Bad neighbor vibes and we're on the way to April h That's right. So there was I guess you could call it not really an incident, It was sort of a fun thing. On April first of twenty twenty one, the Newcastle County officials the big Ways sided to give the Wedge back to Pennsylvania. Psich, pich you thought April first. Indeed, Josh Shannon, writing for the Newark Post, had this to say about it. Newcastle County government had some fun on social media for April Fool's Day, tweeting that it is giving the Wedge, a tryang shaped area near Newark with a colorful history. You can say that again. Yeah, back to Pennsylvania, and they said, I like this right here.
Speaker 1: They said, to the terms of our one hundred year rental agreement with Pennsylvania, we're returning the Wedge to our neighbors to the north today. Best of luck to all the Firmer First Countians living there. And then they and then they came for the Chester County government, so they were it's a joke about how confusing it was to live in the Wedge for one hundred and fifty years. It is a pretty good joke. But as you said, Noel, it was all in good fun. The wedge is still part of Delaware today.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think it's stings so much anymore. I think this would have been taken as intended with a little bit of a wink wink in yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know these a lot of these folks know each other, so they're they're like texting like, oh haha, nice one, Todd or whatever.
Speaker 2: Did you know that there are more people per square mile named Todd and Delaware than in any other place in the universe. I did not, but it sounds true. It's it's completely true. Don't fact check it. This was fun. This was fun.
Speaker 4: This is this is more fun than it seemed.
Speaker 2: To Davity business being frankly, it was.
Speaker 1: It was a blast. We hope you join us in the future.
Speaker 2: Folks.
Speaker 1: We've got some great episodes coming up thanks to our super producer mister Max Williams and his uh you know, his brother Alex Williams who composed the Bangin Bop you're hearing right now.
Speaker 2: Huge thanks to Christopher hasciotis here in spirit. You know, I realized Christophers this is kind of that. We continue to thank him and inferred him being here in spirit because he was really our first ever research associate and kind of set the tone for like the way we do our our setups, with the way we do our documents, with all the tangents and trivia and things. So if anyone's ever wondering about who this mystical being is, that's that's who he is. The Gay Blues. Ye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course shout out you know who we need to shout out more often, guys, Casey Pegram.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, of course Casey on the case. We you know he recently had not recent gosh time, it is weird. It feels like it was so long. It was a while ago. But yeah, he's a dad now. He's a dad now. But okay, borderline don't care for that. But we have been threatening to have him on the show to do some francophile francophone content. And I think now is the time to reach out and boom because I've got I've got one for good I'm working on. I think it will be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a shout out shout out to Casey, Shout out to you. Jonathan Strickland, a k a.
Speaker 2: The Quizter. The beef is still a thing. And we're hoping that he'll return soon, fresh beef fresh with some fresh beef it, we'll call old Baby J Fresh beef Stricklands exactly. How about We'll see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,