Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha. Welcome to Stephan Never told you a production of I Heart Radio.
Speaker 2: And welcome to another happy hour where it's not a pitchin wine the time round because I'm trying to make it a little more happier. It's more of a confessional, we'll say, for this happy hour. But before we start, just FYI were not being sponsored by anything we mentioned. If we do mention any products at this time, that could change. We all know that. And if you are doing the actual happy hour as if we were together in a happy hour just getting chilling, be responsible, you know, do you? But in a adult fashion, in a way that is responsible. Eddie, are you slipping on anything I made?
Speaker 1: Margherita, Oh yes, I'm trying to. I mean, I know I've been complaining about it for a while, but my refrigerator situation is real bad, so I'm trying to clear out space.
Speaker 3: And I still have some of that mezcal.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're using that up real good.
Speaker 3: I mean I still got quite a bit left.
Speaker 2: But yeah, all right, I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: You should do you, And that's a part of your doing, which is getting rid of everything.
Speaker 3: You it's bad it's really bad.
Speaker 2: Well, I so we went out last night. We have this thing where quarterly we get together celebrate we've been doing with s minty and eat oysters because I love oysters like so much. Oysters. So we went out last night and celebrated what we're doing, talking about the things we want to do for the future and eating good oysters. And that involved to adult beverages and for me, that was too much. My head was hurting. So today I am keeping it with my water, bubbly water with some strawberry flavor because my pineapple flavor is gone. Apparently it's only available in Canada and I can't order it, so Canadian friends send me some. I'm just kidding, but it's I thought that was so weird to me. I was like, why is this not available in the US. I don't understand. I'm very sad. But anyway, but that's how I'm keeping it today because I still have a small headache. Because yes, over forty means feeling like you have a hangover when you shouldn't be having a hangover. Anyway, that's there's a wine bit, you know. But today I kind of wanted to explore the fact that there's comfort mills and for comfort mills, what does that mean? So today is March twenty eight, twenty twenty four, right before Easter. So if you yeah, surprise surprise.
Speaker 1: Funny because one of the reasons if my refrigerators so foles. I have this meal I make on Easter, but I totally forgot this this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's good to use it. That is why we have these put moments together. But yeah, So one of the things that I think is interesting because I am a transracial adoptee. I am very Asian but grew up in a very Southern household. And as much as I have been exploring into Korean food and getting kind of back to my roots and things that I do remember and don't remember, like I will always have Southern food with my comfort food. Like I my sister has the best chicken and dupling recipes that I use and I love that. And apparently my partner, who grew up in North Georgia as well for a little while, has said that he had never eaten it before, which I'm very very confused by it, and he compared it to matsabal soup. I'm like, how in the world did you eat matsa bal soup in Gainesville, Georgia, but not have chicken and dumplings. I'm very confused. Thoroughly confused anyway, but things like that food and kind of that growing up as an adult. Of course, there's a couple of conversations we've had recently in that we are adults, but our life is nothing like our parents. And I know we've talked about this previously, especially like our moms putting up a whole different level standards and cleanliness and housekeeping, and we were like, yeah, we don't, we don't do that. As well as the fact that, yeah, I just figured out recently that one of my dad's hobbies which I had no idea about, because all I knew growing up was him working, being tired, coming home to eat, and doing house projects. Like he rarely had time to play games with us. We never had family board game nights. None of that happened in our house. My brother and I would sometimes play together, but then we would erupt into a fight and then we could not play together, Like that's kind of how that went down. So our house was a little different in that level. But I think our generation, when we had parents who are who are boomers? That was their life like that whole working nine to five, but for him, his commute was an hour an hour and a half, so it was like working from six thirty seven til sa uh if not later, and then coming home exhausted, and then doing the weekends as projects because he maintained the house so we didn't have plumbers coming into it through unless it was like a big emergency. Then if not, he fixed it. He went to the home depot, or he went to Low's or Ace Hardware because that was what was available in our neighborhood to fix things. But like all of these things, growing up, realizing these minute details that I never noticed, and then growing up and being like I am nothing like this. As much as like this was great, I'm nothing like this. And in that level of like growing up with different types of food, I was talking to you because when I was a nanny, the kids who were pretty well off and as in fact, I think a couple of them are had like doing their own truck to become celebrities themselves, loved ramen noodle top ramen with tons and tons of hot sauce, like they ate so much that it almost looked like they're challenging themselves and their siblings about who got the hottest version. And they loved eating that, and they loved eating Hamburger helper, which is also what I grew up with. And I was fine and feeding them this. They're very active kids, so it wasn't like any health issues had risen or we were concerned about that. As obsessed as the mom was about her features and her weight, she never really put that onto her kids. Of course the kids learned just from watching her, but she was happy with them being fed. The grandmother, the mother of the mom, was great cook. Actually she was amazing, but she was that she was Filipino, Filipino, but she did a lot of Asian dishes that the kids loved, so like, I love that aspect of seeing that was like, oh, this is like my childhood who lived in nut so rich house. But those foods were comforting, and when I would eat it with the kids, because obviously if I've made it for them, I have to have to eat with them, it was delicious. And it's been a minute since I've had Hamburger helper, Rannie. But I sometimes crap that I do too.
Speaker 1: I know that during the pandemic, people were seeking out comforting foods and one of the things my mom, like an easy thing she would make was a hamburger helper chicken alfredo and I'm sure it had so much sodium and it was like calorically dense, but I loved it, and I couldn't find it during the pandemic, and I was like, I just really want this comforting, simple, salty, delicious carbi thing that I remember from childhood, and I still can't find it.
Speaker 3: Oh, they might have discontinued it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like this could be a like I'm wondering how different everything is, because you know, we're definitely now at the age where things have changed, the tastes have changed, the recipe has changed all the different ways. Because yeah, so like I haven't had hamber helper, but one of the things that I would eat as a kid, So I again southern home. My dad's parents actually had a small enough like farmland ish but they would grow things. So you would get homemade corn cream, corn fried okra, deep fried okra, and lard, you know, or like deep vegetable oil like they eat it was real fried. Then green beans, especially string beans that they had made with at least like a hamhock, if not some other part of me bacon, fat, whatever, as well as corn bread and the skillet cornbread, not the sweet one though it was always the like the cakey one, but I had the good like brown crisp edges, as well as mac and cheese. Now the mac and cheese, I don't think I ever had homemade mac and cheese with my family. I think they always did box mac and cheese, like I'm trying to remember, like people who did make mac and cheese were the fancy people. Yes, outside of that, we did that. They just went and bought the belvy the cheese, and that's what we had as part of our meal. And growing up, my siblings and I would make what would call a hodgepodge of these, so we would take all the veggies, put it together, so corn, green beans, okra, and the mac and cheese and a giant bowl and then just crumble like corn bread into it and make it a giant mix, and we'd call it the Hodgepodge mill. And I craved that as an adult all the time, to the point that I definitely have to do at least two or three times a year, which is quite funny because my partner and I used to joke that he would make the Asian foods who was white. He is very white, and I would make the country food who was very Asian. Like it was such a like split segon and I was like, yeah, this is what I like and like the feeling of like coming into Yeah. I made literally made canned green beans because I don't I would love the homemade, but we don't have like I don't. We don't farm here like we were in Decatur, so it's not accessible. All the things. We have had issues with trees in the house. He wants to have all this garden, but I'm like, I'm not doing it because I killed Basil. I'm very sad. I'm still traumatized reacily, but like having cane green beans. There's this creamed corn that's frozen in a package you get in the freezer, a vegetable aisle, and that's like the best. I'm like, it's the best I've had in a while, even compared to like I've made homemade cream corn. It's an endeavor. It's an endeavor because I try to see if I can do it, and if I can know how I can do it, then I'll move on like, yeah, well now this is just as good, so I'm going And then like I made a box of Annies mac and cheese, not any our friend here, but the actual brand of mac and cheese. And I didn't have the corner, and I forgot the corner. But I have been eating it to the point that I ate it kind of early morning as my early lunch today because I was like, yep, I want my hotchpodged milk. It makes like to me, I'm like, do other people eat like this? Because I've always grown up eating green beans and corn together. Hmmm, and I always thought that was normal, But I don't know. That might just be our family thing. But these types of food they feel me in a way that I feel full and happy and content and just that memory of being for a moment home in the good moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean food is powerful in that way and that sounds delicious to me. We used to joke with my little brother because you know, some people have.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing with food.
Speaker 1: And by the way, listeners, if you have any meals like what we're talking about, that like your family makes, but it seems no one else does. Let us know, my little brother. Some people have that thing where they're like, my foods are separate, they will not be mixed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And my little brother, we used to joke, would always make a pie.
Speaker 1: So whatever it was, he would just mix it and he was happiest when it was mixed.
Speaker 3: And I'm over here, like my noodles was not touched.
Speaker 2: What it was.
Speaker 1: It's true, it's true because I did like some things mixed. So one of the things we did that was I think it was my idea because I read it in a book, but it was. It's called like an English nest or something. It's mashed potatoes, green peas, and ham.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mixed, I know he's talking about. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. It's kind of but it sounds like the beginnings of Shepherd's Pie.
Speaker 3: Yes. It's like a very low maintenance which.
Speaker 2: I had never had until I went and worked a year in Oklahoma and they loved that. I was like, what is this.
Speaker 3: It's a very hearty meal.
Speaker 2: It is a very hearty meal. I think it was because you could do it in bulk, and because I worked at a children's home. That's how what they would make, and it was easy to get, like the canned veggies, which I hate canned veggies, like to the point that I love the queen beans, but like the mixed veggies with the peace and the carrots. Hated that stuff.
Speaker 3: Hated it.
Speaker 2: I still do did this day. I don't like can green peas. Though I do not like peas, I do not like the mother stop making me try to eat them.
Speaker 3: She did.
Speaker 2: She tried so hard. I was like, I know, no green peas.
Speaker 3: It's not like you were talking to me. For a second. I was like, whoa, I.
Speaker 2: Traumatized by that. But yeah, so like like I that's that was a bulk thing that they had box mashed potatoes. Put that on and then they always got buffalo meat Oklahoma y all. So it was very very accessible. I hated it, oh so much, but I had to eat it because I was with the kids. The kids can't be piggy, so I can't be picky. And I was like, oh, but this is so disgusting. Don't get me wrong. I've had actually good shepherd's pie and I get it. I'm like, oh, this is okay, this is legitimate, Like okay, I see now, this is this is what it's supposed to be. And they did again, they did what the best they could, like with the lump the giant meals that have to make because I've cooked for like larger groups of people and you realize that it takes a lot of effort in doing that. But it also made me think, because Easter is coming up, like the different traditions, because I think my parents will be doing sandwiches, but it's ham. Always involved ham. Did yours involve ham?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: And I won't go on my science food stuff reason why that is, but yes, most it does involve ham.
Speaker 2: All that deviled eggs. Of course, we had boiled eggs on top of boiled eggs on top of boiled eggs, because that's what we do dying Easter eggs. We had the country mill. I'm wondering is that an all of the US thing or is that just a Southern thing?
Speaker 1: I think like the devil'ed eggs are specific, but eggs are pretty popular.
Speaker 3: Again, there's a historical reason for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the ham is pretty popular at Lamb also, but there are variations.
Speaker 3: For sure. My family did it was a like ham, deviled eggs.
Speaker 1: Those are like the main things, right, and then some kind of like green beans or cheese or something like some kind of vegetable or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I was looking to see what other countries would do. So this is from try Theworld dot com eleven incredible Easter mills from around the world. Apparently Austria, Switzerland, and southern Germany have traditionally braided breads, either in the shape of a loaf or a wreath. I'm not gonna try to say the word for the wreath, so that's it's interesting. Yeah, well I did. I did see a hot crossbun and it goes to Great Britain, so the UK, and they have the sweet rolls uh, and that they are marked with across to symbolize Jesus' crucifixion. Uh. They also do the roast Sunday roast, which I've never had a Sunday roast, which makes since because I'm not from the UK, but I kind of want to, but I know that's a big ordeal. And then they had the home let homemade chocolate Easter eggs, which you know, the cadberry eggs. We definitely have the cadberry eggs here. The Philippines has a whole pig and pie and fresh fish and I know fish is so associated with a lot of Easter traditions as well.
Speaker 1: That's why you can eat fish on Fridays during legs right. Also, if you've never looked it up, Lamb cakes. They are cakes that are made to look like lamb and they're scary, scary a lot of times they look really scary and I love it so much, and they have like red jelly. So when you cut it less, please write in. I had never heard of this until like two years ago. I think in Europe it's popular. But I know, like super producer Andrew who used to produce this show, he knew about it.
Speaker 3: Oh really yes, yeah, so it's the.
Speaker 2: Thing interesting, look it up. I have to look it up. There's a lamb pie in Italy, but I think that's legit lamb. Yeah. I think it's like a seafood is in Sweden. That sounds like a way to go with a cured salmon. Yeah, pickled hearing, give me some. It looks like Paraguay does chippa, which is a cheese bread. I like cheese and bread. It's made from a yuca starch, which again that sounds interesting. Easter Lamb Easter Bunny is Germany. It's also marble cake in the form of an animal, so this must be it Easter cake, Easter lamb or Easter bunny, traditional sweets in Easter in Germany, and it's a Marble's cake in the form of an animal. So Germans, let me know, send us a picture.
Speaker 3: So good, it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. But yeah, I thought that was interesting because I don't think about it. I just thought about it because it's coming up very quickly, and my partner and now are like, what are we going to do? We're gonna go to a family's house. What are we doing? It's kind of chaotic. It feels like very chaotic, like holidays don't exist. And I think a part of that for us in that we do it with family, so without children, we think of it even less because we don't have to do the prep stuff like did I see a cute Reese's Easter Bunny? Yes? Did I buy it for my partner who loves Reese's. Yes, like that that's a yes, Like I'll do things like that, but that's the end because I went to the grocery store and saw it. But I don't think I think about the holidays like that as much because there's no prep around. Like there's so many things that I've had where it feels very nostalgic right now because of like the food specifically. And I've talked about the power of food before, and I think I've talked about my hotchpodge, but like the craving, the craving is what's like, Huh, I can't believe my preference for a good meal is boxed macaroni and cheese, canned green beans and frozen cream corn as a mixture. And I'm joyfully, gleefully eating this And like I presented to my partner as if I cooked a giant mill, Like there you go, enjoying my freshly per mare box mil Hey, he got bad.
Speaker 1: So it's delicious, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: And with public fried chicken, I just that fried chicken is good, y'all. It's good.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: That's what we were saying when we were talking about it, is there's a reason why that during the pandemic, like sales of mac and cheese went through the roof. Like there's when you grow up with something that's comforting and kind of simple, but like very salty and flavorful and filling. It just to me, makes so much sense that you have these strong cravings for it. When you have it, you're like, even if you're not thinking of a specific memory, you're kind of transported a little bit back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, I remember when I had that.
Speaker 2: There's this feeling of safety with it, and if you can find a moment of safety, and especially when you come from chaos, the having those home moments, it's very important to you. And again, like it also brings back to like the aging and being an adult and being allowed to do this. I'm like, yeah, this is how I'm going to do it. Watch me Like there's some satisfaction in doing it that way. So yeah, thanks for going down my food journey. I'm probably gonna go downstairs in a minute and eat the rest of it.
Speaker 3: You should. I support this.
Speaker 1: I support this, and I really hope I love hearing about people's foods and traditions, and so I really hope listeners if you have any, whether they be holiday related or just something your family did, I would love to hear them for sure.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And if you did a lamb cake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yes, well, thank you Samantha for sharing that with us, and listeners, if you would like to contact us you can. Our email is steffidiamom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom stuff Podcasts, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff I've Never Told You. We have a tea public store, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executive producer Maya, and our contributor Joey.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and thanks to you for listening. Stuff I'll Never Told You is a production by Heart Radio.
Speaker 1: For more podcast from my heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.