Kyrin Down: Welcome, mere mortalites to another episode of the mere mortals musings. You have Kyrin here on this side Got Juan on the other side as well. Brilliant. And we are live here on the 27th March 2024. And Amusing's episode is where we pick up particular topic, dive down deeper deeper into it, and it's usually themed. It's usually got some actionable takeaways. And I suppose this one is is gonna be a bit of a in between episode. It's almost like it's in between in musings and meanderings, because, what we're gonna go over is a what what would you would you call this a rant one that I I dropped on our discord on May I wouldn't have said
Juan Granados: I wouldn't have said a rant. A splurge.
Kyrin Down: Saliloquy? Yeah. Basically, I wrote, 1, 2, 3, 4. Obviously, it it was probably about, like, 15 paragraphs, 20 paragraphs total of of just some I think it was like notes, things, thoughts that were going through my head right at that particular moment. And, it's gonna form the basis of this, which is essentially the team times are changing. Times are changing. And so just, I suppose, like, some new direction or just some thoughts of of what's gonna happen when I'm traveling to Brazil, what you're focusing on, what I'm focusing on, perhaps even an update on on what what we wanna do with the podcast and and things like that. So, yeah that that that's probably like the I guess the synopsis of this where do you wanna start one do you wanna start with some technical things or perhaps some general thoughts on direction? Any anything that you particularly want to start with?
Juan Granados: Well, I think let's do general. Let's see just a general like broad face view of times are changing. And I guess what's changing overall? Yep. And then we'll kind of get into like more precise things as people come through and feel free. If you're in the chat right now live, which we are normally, you can drop in some questions, some notes, some ideas. I've had some feedback about our doing things in video and non video format. So I wanted to clarify a few of those things. Now, overview. I think the mindset of, hey, we're not going to navigate away from video altogether. I think I just want to make that clear, because in my mind, at least, there's things around the book reviews and interviews where I'm gonna be leaning into a more visually creative, let's say, piece of content. Whether for good or for bad, I want to test that out. But and I called this out a little bit earlier last week, I want to see whether producing something of a high quality with the backing of more automated creation of clips is of benefit to us. Yes or no? That's basically in essence. We're from a so from an over high level perspective is video going away. No, but we are going to be shifting gears in relation to what's going to be making things work and that we can continue making it work. I think we've always been about this anyways. We've never really set up apart from, you know, at the beginning when we had quite a bit of capacity to do this. We've never been ones in the podcast to go, hey. Let's let's let's Chris Williamson do this. Let's do 4 4 interviews per week. Yeah. Let's just go heavy on the money of the setup, because we'll just burn out too easily. We we we wouldn't wanna continue. We also just realized that it's probably not our forte either on both of our fronts to be able to do that. So I think on an overall, it's gonna be adjusting so that we can continue to do this at whatever pace that particularly looks like.
Kyrin Down: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I suppose for my part it was just thinking I guess my my general thoughts now are what do I really enjoy doing and what is sustainable and I think is also has a chance of progressing forward, making things better, drawing more people in because, I don't want it to just stay as kind of the fun little hobby level that that we're currently at, I guess. And for me, that's that's just focusing on the live live aspect. So this is live audio, live video. So video is a portion of that, but it really essentially needs for me to have a quick turnaround time. So for me to be able to record something and then put it out basically within the next hour is is what I want to do. And that whilst not is totally opposed to high quality video, it does make it much, much harder, much, much, much harder. And so I also I don't mind doing, like, a lot of prep for things and getting, you know, doing preparation and stuff. But I I do I don't want to be working on an episode after I've already created it because that that just kills me, man. It's, it's it's so tedious. I'm surprised I actually suck at it so long doing episodes where I'd record something and then be editing it a week later. Because now I'm trying to even think of doing that and I'm just like, oh, that that does not that does not sound fun to me. That's not something that I want to do. So for me, like, you'll, you'll definitely still see the, the book reviews. You know, I said I probably won't be doing the value for value show live on on on YouTube with the video, but it adds only an extra kind of 10 minutes to my to my kind of workflow, I guess. And I mean, if I can save my ass doing that the other day because I forgot to hit record on the on the actual audio side of things. So if I hadn't done that, that that would have actually been a real a real pick. Yeah. Yeah. So I definitely needed that. That was that was just kind of pure luck, to be honest. So, for me, I I, you know, I'm not going to be focusing on lighting. I'm not going to be focusing on creating a interesting slideshow. I'm not going to be focusing on creating an attention grabbing intro like one has been doing, which which come across really nice, by the way, that they do they are good. They are I can see the value in that. It's just not something that I want to do personally. So any video stuff that that I do work on is gonna be in the, I don't know, pursuit of just having an extra thing that can be put out. And, and, yeah. Yeah. I suppose suppose that's my my main main focus in terms of the actual presentation of of things. Content wise, I've got more thoughts on on that as well. But, yeah, we're kind of gathering we're kind of going 2 different directions in a sense though because you're you're very much focusing on the being able to create something that is really visually impactful, I guess. Well, let's
Juan Granados: say let's talk about it specifically, like, channel by channel now. So I think there's some things which will, we will be like very much the same. So you won't notice a difference. And like, let's go beginning musings, these sort of conversations, These are gonna go to I think we talked about them, potentially not so no videos on it might be just a pure audio play, which we are doing these ones in. Right?
Kyrin Down: Yeah. I mean, it's we can it's just it's just it's also there's there's where it's like
Juan Granados: do we want to spend, you know, a 150 be more than that Couple of $100 just to have video up on YouTube. And Sorry. True. And and look, the the answer is probably not probably not at this point. And and and this is where I wanna get back to the other point. It's that doesn't mean we're removing video altogether. It's I think for these musings conversations, we're gonna have to go down that path, right, of just a audio for modeling. And honestly, across the broad, if I'm looking at the numbers and the stats, it's not like these musics actually get that much of a listenership in comparison to maybe some of the other stuff that we're doing generally at the moment. So it kinda also plays into hand of you probably don't need to be putting as much effort on these right at this moment. And honestly, with the fact that you're gonna be traveling around, it probably bodes well. So I think we're both in agreement. Yeah. You're not gonna see clips from musings. We're gonna be live. It's gonna be more in relation to a if you wanna hang out with us, if you wanna have the conversation, obviously, in a more in the lens of supportive of Boostagrams, we wanna call you out. We wanna talk chat that way. That's what's gonna be orientated towards for sure. So that's that. And I don't think there's any disagreement with that and the things that are changing. Hey. Video is not gonna be available, but you're still gonna be able to hear us at about similarly timeframe that we're doing right now. That's about it. Yeah, book reviews. Book reviews. So I think this is the differentiation and I want to kind of get tell tell the folks at home.
Kyrin Down: So just before we go on that, I just wanna talk, I suppose, slightly about the the overall podcast. And I guess when we started, it was it was just the mere models. We just had the one thing and, you know, we'd put book reviews in there. We'd put conversations in there, we'd put whatever in there. And there was always, I suppose, 2 components. There was we're spending equal time on on the video side of things. So AKA YouTube and then audio. And I think we continue to do that for a while. We split the channel into 2. That was probably a mistake ish on my part for the video side of things because what I thought would happen was I I thought the book reviews were kind of taking over what was happening with the, with with our actual videos. Turns out just nobody cared. Nobody really was wanting to watch the the the mere mortals, videos that much anyway, which is a shame because I go back to some of those ones that we did outdoors and I'm like, this is good looking, man. Like, I put in a decent effort to this. There's no there's no reason that this should not be a little bit higher, I think. It it shouldn't have seen, like, a little bit of growth or something. And, Yeah. This this is where I I guess, like, my over overall kind of philosophy now is, I think it's for me, I'm almost thinking of things in terms of mere mortals podcasts as in mere mortals. There's multiple podcasts, which is something I, I've want to do more in the future in the sense that, there's topics which we have so much more experience. You know, we probably should have done a fitness podcast, to be honest. That's that because that's the thing that we spend so much time on. We're probably more knowledgeable than most people on, tons of experience in that. But it it rarely, if ever comes up in these conversations. And this is where I it's it's one of those things where it's like, you know what? I want to talk about those, but, I don't know if I'd want to it to be the main thing. And so this is kind of where I just look at, like, I think it's nice to have a book reviews sort of section or its own channel, and then I probably wanna have one which is a more travel language based one. I want to have one which is more about fitness and and more one which is more just about conversations, whether it be with you or with guests. So this isn't gonna happen right now, but I do see myself upon coming back doing something which is, like, almost like a a 9 to 5 ish of of podcasting, which is I will go live, you know, Monday through Friday, one day a week of one day will be the value for value show. One day it would be a fitness show. One day it would be a language show. One day it would be a book review, and one day it would be something else or something like that. And kind of just baking that into my routine. And that that's kind of how I envision for myself things, things working and then everything is then being directed to, you know, it's the suite of shows, not just this one show. So if you're into the book reviews, you might be more interested in as into a travel one as well. And if you're into fitness, you might be more interested mere models where one gets on x person who has, you know, a CrossFit background or things like that. So that that's kind of just the the general type of overview, I guess. How's that fit for you? What what do you think about that?
Juan Granados: Yeah. I think the piece which goes so a couple of goes from my mind one. I mean, time intensive in terms of doing it. So, obviously, as you say, it's the the putting the practices in place so that it enables
Kyrin Down: to go live quite easily to be able do that, obviously. That and that's that's why I'm like, you know, if I go live from 9 AM through to, let's say, 2 PM. So what's that? That's 5 hours to 25 hours a week. And then an extra and part of that will would include actually putting out episodes. So kind of watching me work because I'm not I'm not gonna do 5 hours of just me Talking over there. Talking Andrew Huberman style into the into the mic or into the camera and and delivering a well obviously, that's impossible. If you're doing that 5 55 times a week. That's it's impossible to to do that. But I could see myself being able to do, you know, a half hour or 45 minute show where I have preps, where it's not just complete rambling and ranting and and presenting that. And then, you know, the rest is kind of me just being live, kind of like, you know, how people play video games, but they're not really they're not really talking about it. Yeah. They're just just straight up streaming. I I think that's doable. And then that also, you know, 25 hours a week, that's that's probably about how much I want to put into the podcast. And then there's all sorts of extras on top of that, which is, you know, I'm reading books in my own time. I'm the all the other things, you know, I'm learning languages in my own time. I'm doing all this other, which is it's kind of like podcast prep in a way. So it's it's more like the podcast becoming the lifestyle rather than the podcast becoming a job per se. Yeah. Yeah. Which I think is which is what we've always kind of really wanted.
Juan Granados: Yeah, yeah. And look, mines. Again, there's gonna be the very interesting thing where I think the we're gonna you're gonna see 2 different path into the future, right? As 2024 and beyond goes where I think It's gonna be mere mortals and mere mortals, Satoshi's vision, Juan's vision. Where I think you're gonna be and and this is gonna be good in terms of comparison. I think maybe even drawing different crowds and and people attention to it where I think for yourself, you're if I can summarize it overall, is gonna be all live or kind of in the moment
Kyrin Down: or interacting through the trying to be more attractive
Juan Granados: more looking through the glass rather than through like the lens of what's going on because you're right there. Yeah. Like, you're, like, you're sitting next to you as opposed to looking through a screen type of deal. So I I literally plan to have, you know, once left this little shoddy camera
Kyrin Down: stand thing. I do plan at some point just to, you know, be able to chuck my phone on and you can kind of just watch me, You know, it's it's it's more that, you know, cameras in the house, reality TV type of vibe where it's, which is funny because you'd think, like, man, how boring. No one would ever watch or or listen into that or something. Do you remember big brother? There was a they had a channel where you could just go at any time
Juan Granados: and watch. And go and watch them. And it was popular as fuck then. It was popular as fuck. It was popular as fuck. And what I'm gonna You really enjoyed it. But this is what I do. Right? Like, I was just I I've just gone live right now on on the mere mortals podcast. Right? Just for a bit of fun. On on Instagram, you mean? On on Instagram. Right? And what I'm gonna do is I'm just gonna set it up anyways here because, I mean, we're live obviously right now. But it's it's this sort of thing where, you know, you could probably set yourself up live on whatever you're doing. Now interestingly, obviously, you gotta think through the process of where it's like, okay, I'm going live there. People can't hear Karen now because they're coming through my head for it. So would you made them to get to hear on there? Yes or no? But I think it's all of these tests where it's probably worth just testing out to be like, hey, does this sort of live process work? Does it not? Do you get other people? Do you not? I think we're gonna see probably more from you. At least so from the podcast and from you. So like, if I look at this, I go, hey, there's 2 people who've just joined that live. Friends, you're right now. And I go, you know, is this is this another format that we might have to set up to enable us to have a conversation and have people coming in live in different formats that maybe they attach themselves to and sometimes. So Anisha is in that chat as well. Right? So it's all these different formats, and I'm like, hey. That's really awesome. I think I think as I'm doing this, as I'm looking this, as I'm talking to you about it now, I go, I think there might be some value in even the random recordings that we're doing, even in the book reviews that I'm doing. There might be a benefit to just doing them live and having people just interact with them and have that extra. And honestly, just 3 minutes prior or 5 minutes after like you kind of do with the current one. Just interact with people if they're there. Cool. Hello. Hey, how's it going? Here from what to do finish anything or anything, you got to talk to people. It's gonna end down now as well. Because it is again, a little bit distracting, right? But you can share them, or you can share them. You can do whatever with them.
Kyrin Down: Well, this is the other thought I had, which is what whilst doing a structured piece of of content which is stand alone, that's the thing that gets released as an actual audio, and that's the thing which I would release as a as a full, you know, video on its own. Okay. Look at the book reviews now. I cut out the start and the end of it. That that is the one where it's yeah. You don't really want that much distractions. You'll maybe look at the live chat once in a in a small break or just to thank people who have joined in the live just so they know. But but it's kind of a good mechanism for being able to produce something that's really high quality and then also have the the after it's almost like the after party. You know, it's like you have a conference. 1 went to the to a conference recently, and, you know, you can have the high quality well, in his case, not high quality. It was on the news for being a scam. But you have the high quality presentations, the guests. They're not having the people from the crowd just shouting up and being like, you know, what do you what do you think about this thing? Blah blah blah. But if they have, like, a little q and a section at the end, you can you can include that in as the actual content. And then afterwards, you have the mingling, and and you just chill out, and you you meet people, and you you you have those discussions. And the there was just a moment of the book reviews recently where I did it, and then I had maybe, you know, 5 people in the chat who I'd never really spoken before. There was, like, Johnny, There was this girl, Andrea. There was, another person who just joined in from somewhere. I have no idea where she came from. And that was really fun. That was and and they were kind of like chatting amongst themselves and then to me as well whilst I was just editing and I just stayed an extra hour and a half on. And that was fun, man. And I'm I'm kinda like things that are fun, I I I wanna lean into. That's that's also also something that, I think is is worthwhile kind of following or pursuing. Yeah. I think so. Well, so and sorry. Just so because my train of thought went everywhere there before. Yeah. Sorry. I cut you off, man.
Juan Granados: No. So I was just saying so for for me, based on what you're saying, I think introducing some live things, even for me, I think would be beneficial. Again, we just saw a couple of people sort of jumping on. I could see myself pushing down that path, probably not what you're thinking through, but at least setting myself up in the same way where I took a couple of minutes before, took a couple of minutes afterwards. I kinda would have to really dice mine up there and being like, cool, cool, cool, kinda like how Gary v does it. I'm on. I'm starting. I'm finishing. Cool house blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Hope you're well, go.
Kyrin Down: I mean, for a variety of things. The way those work usually is they've he'll he'll jump on to a kind of already an already established stream in some things, for example. So, you know, there's the these box breaking ones, which is a part of his VeeFriends kind of brand. And he's got people on there who will just stream for, you know, 2 hours, 3 hours a day sort of deal. And he'll come on there, you know, once a week maybe for 10, 15 minutes or 20 minutes. That's that's kind of like how I imagine sort of things happening where, you know, once I get into the habit, regular regular sort of pattern, people will usually start to show up for that. And then it's like, you know, if the opportunity arises and you've got 5, 10 minutes free, you can join me or something like that. That that's kind of more how I imagine. Because if you're just doing just 5 minutes before or after, I think that's the one where it's just like you just need to spend some time. There was this guy who did workouts with Anthony and he he's he's really I mean, he's fucking gangster at calisthenics, you know, slow muscle up into a handstand on a straight bar that was like one of the most impressive things I've I've ever seen. Really, really, really strong. And he's kind of like an all in type of guy. And he was telling me how he was live streaming for a while. And he and he was doing it for 3 weeks. And I was like, oh, okay. You know? That that must have been nice. He must have got, like, you know, maybe, like, 10, 15 people on the stream at some time on Twitch or something. He's playing games. So maybe he he got up to a 100 or something. But, no, he he told me he he live streamed for 16 hours a day for the 3 weeks straight. You know, he would wake up and and live stream and that's, you know, he'd go he'd leave the stream on, he'd go to the bathroom, come back. He'd have Yep. Basically meals prepped or something. He he essentially didn't leave his house for 3 weeks. And in those 3 weeks, he got to the point where it was, you know, thousands of people watching and was monetized by Twitch or something. And then, of course, he he burnt himself out. This this but there is an element of, like, you have to put in just to you just have to be ready and available and
Juan Granados: put time in for for, I think, the live component as well. Yeah. I was saying that's a good point. So because and then I go, you know, I think that'll work definitely for you. I think that's obviously an option and availability. Yeah. That's something I think. And then from my side of things, I go, I want to almost lean away from that. It's kinda like it's not lean away. It's I wanna do that and put the high quality stuff out. And so I go, what it just looks like for me is when it comes to the book reviews or when it comes to interviews, I'm leaning into the higher quality, whether it's from a clip perspective or a video perspective. And I think I will start introducing some live versions of whether it's while I'm editing or while I'm whatever, in in insert here, whatever I'm doing. There'll be that aspect of it. But the principal aspect of it is gonna be the quality of the end product that I'm putting together, whether it's audio, whether it's here in this instance, video.
Kyrin Down: It's just the way that I'm gonna roll with it, I think, myself. Yeah. I I I think there's there's still gonna be I don't ever see us getting to the point other than maybe next week, you'll see where it's where it's just just kind of shooting the shit. And it's that, you know, those podcasts where they just don't have a direction, And it's a some a very rare sometimes thing for us. We've we've done it once or twice before. But even even our meanderings, we we kind of, you know, we had a structure to it. There was a general time limit. You knew what you were gonna talk about or had some interesting insights and things like that. So the I never see it being a podcast where there'll be 25 seconds of just dead air because you're around with something and I'm around with something. You know, that that there's always gonna be some sort of quality control is is kinda how how I see it. Yeah. Which is which is fine. I think it's it's good to have a level of quality control. But I think,
Juan Granados: yeah. Look, I'll sum it up in this way. I think for you, there's overall, there's a lot more live streaming that's probably gonna come. There's gonna be more variety of content that we put forward, honestly, from my side. As I said, I stopped doing the the fitness side of things that I was doing, just timing and things that I was doing. And I was waiting to build the space. Now I've got the space. I just haven't gotten the wheels back on track to doing those things, predominantly because now I'm gonna get into kinda like the book review level. But what you'll probably see as well from me is over time, there'll be more content distributed in different formats. But you're gonna see 1 on the live, and then you're gonna see another aspect where it's gonna be, like, attempting of of really high quality, type of level. Just to and even again, it's a test award. It's maybe at the end of the year, we come together and go, both of those thing things helped us succeed and go to another level or whatever it may be. Awesome. That's kinda what we wanna see. But we gotta I think we have to, as you said, we need to do something different at this point just to see how we can start
Kyrin Down: growing the brand more as well. Yeah. Correct. Because it it I think you mentioned this in the last episode or something like that where it was or maybe it was just offline where it's we've we've just kind of been stagnating for a bit. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that content per se. It's it's the presentation. It's probably the thing we've always struggled with the most, just presenting it, getting clips out, getting the eyeballs on it, that that sort of stuff. That's that's always what we've we've kinda struggled with the most, which which still is. And, I suppose this gets onto another one, which is should we maybe do boostograms and then I was gonna say let's let's go on a boostgram and then continue on the conversation. Okay. Sounds good. So for those who do not know, a boostgram is and this is the boost to gram lounge. This is where we like to thank people who have sent in some support and some messages, at the same time over this last week. Part of the reason we actually go live is so the while the original reason that we started going live was because I wanted to thank these people real time. And so, this is where you can go to a a modern podcasting app, like, Trufans, like, Fountain, like, Podverse, like, Cast O Matic. And you can send it a Podcast Guru, another good one is where you can send a message directly within the app. Well, I'm sorry. This is for the audio side of things. And perhaps in the future, if we ever get get our ass into gear and, reach the reach the limit to, for for YouTube to be able to to monetize where people can send in super chats. Very imagine super chat, but in a in a podcasting app is essentially what we're doing. That's a good way to that's a good way to say. And so, yeah, so one's gonna read out some messages from people who have sent in some support over this last week. Absolutely. So I've got a couple here. 1, Cole McCormick.
Juan Granados: He says using Podahome for my hosting has been so easy and satisfying in my experience. Transcripts are consistent. The AI assisted chapters make it life better. I know Barry is honest with his vision, and he wants to be on top of all innovations in podcasting 2.0. If you built it, people will come That's a row of ducks. 2222
Kyrin Down: sets are using fountain. Yes. Thank you. Thank you so much, Cole. And so Pod Home is the the one where I'm looking at moving this podcast onto. And, yep, Barry's legit. He's he's got a few podcasts himself, so he and he's been doing those for a while. So he knows what podcasters kind of want and need. And he also knows about podcasting 2 point zero. That's what inspired him to, to create this, this new hosting company and service. So yeah, super, super cool for that. And, I did see all of this is the chapters. I like it. Yeah. Yeah. And, Cole also sent in a 5492 boost with no message. I saw him do that. Correct. Yep. So thank you very much, Cole. Thank you. America plus Appreciate it. Podcast if you wanna tune into him and he's been popping up on my socials a lot more
Juan Granados: he definitely has that energy to him oh god damn he's got like the speaker like high level high level energy and everything he brings. So it's very cool. I I would recommend to go see him. His is like so your your energy is kind of
Kyrin Down: it's kind of muted in a sense where it's you you you feel your energy when you're in it with you, when you're in the thick of things. Like, when you're when you're at the gym or when you're starting to have some drinks, and it's like, oh, shit. Yeah. One's one's, like, bubbling, man. He's he wants to do something. He wants to go out and dance, but but it's not super upfront. Kohl's is just in your face. Yeah. Blast. It hits you. Yeah.
Juan Granados: It's pretty it's pretty submittal. I like it. I like it. Yeah. So thank you very much, Cole, for those. Thank you, though. The Boulder Dash boys. Great topic and conversation. I argued with you both while we were listening, so it was very engaging. What I disagree with most was creating our own morals and anything biblically related. Thank you for your t y f y c in discussing this topic. Thank you for your contribution. Contribution.
Kyrin Down: 5,000 sets sent using fountain. Thank you. So that's all that. Thank you. Very much. Thank you. So that's that's so was He's Bourbon, bold dash. Beer bourbon and bolder dash. Yeah. Which is actually one of one of my, you'd think you'd think a a show like that would be not up my alley. Beer, no interest. Bourbon, no interest. Boulder dash, very little interest. But so I essentially skipped the first 20 minutes of every one of their episodes, but then they get into, like, a topic and and then and then and and yeah. I really love it. It's really interesting. So yeah. Yeah. And and so was this Christian, so understandable that you disagree with any any thoughts that, especially I have on, on religion. But yeah, thank you. Thank you so much. And they, so was did get his shirt as well. So another mere mortal shirt in the out in the wild. Out in the wild. Well,
Juan Granados: the
Kyrin Down: I'll be Oh, which reminds me, I need to add some into my luggage. I I I should probably take a couple with me as, you should As kind of backups. Yeah.
Juan Granados: I should be able to get you a good shirt before you leave as well. Okay, cool. Yep, you should be able to and I'll give you Yeah. Yep. Cool. So there's there's some new shirts. Well, there's too limited edition. I don't think this is gonna go to anybody, but I think you're gonna be happy with the quality. And, again, this this points towards getting back into the conversation of the podcast. Right? I think there's aspects of and I've been doing this in other companies structures, the promotion of digital and physical. And I have a funny feeling, dude, that digitally, again, we've been growing okay. And we've been interacting in a in a fair manner. I'll I'll say fair manner. It's been good. But one of the things that I'm seeing, and maybe maybe it's a big audacious goal, maybe it isn't, or maybe my call, I think we need to become known as like the best podcasts in Brisbane. That's it. There is no hands down at this point. Of 1. I don't really know how many other podcasters there is out there. So
Kyrin Down: In Brisbane? Right. I I reckon I could have a good shot at saying there's there's a couple hundred, I'd say. Mhmm. I I I could list I could list probably 10 to 20 off the off the top of mine, and there's probably
Juan Granados: there's probably a fair chunk that Actually, no. Haven't gone to events that haven't done things like that. Yeah. Yeah. And also, actually, there's a couple of people that I've seen on my on my social set also have created a few. Again, this is a few, like, 1 to 6. Honestly, I I I don't know if one single other person podcaster who's created the amount of stuff that we've created. I'll challenge that. I will challenge that right now. I reckon you've created the most content in Brisbane. Podcast wise, that that'd be pretty hard to beat. So but what I think I go is I think there's a bit of an audacious goal here in terms of just overall, yes, you're still gonna see the digital stuff. Again, I'm saying, probably going to invest in some more AI stuff so that we create more clips and get again, as you mentioned this, it just reminds people, hey, were they one of the things that you see, as you said it, hey, a lot of our old stuff where it's like really clean videos when we're in the park. Dude, I'm just gonna run those clip creations over that as well. Right? It's automatic. Oh, that's the idea. Yeah. Just throw them through. Right? Because why not? Right? It's a lot of good material in there that we just have to, like, resurface. Maybe not any, like, in the moment things, but just general consensus. Why not? Let's rely on it. Definitely. So there's a lot of that that I think I'm gonna try and do digitally and just set it up. But physically, I'm thinking of stuff around, like the shirts. You know? Can I partner up with relatively large, relatively well eyeballed places in the area of Brisbane to start getting us known? So I think becoming hype hyper localized in a way is gonna be another piece that I wanna do with the podcast For the particular reason that I just think it is a shame that we're not already known as like the key podcasters in Brisbane like that that that's gonna be like our rights by 2025.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. Okay. Yeah. Coming in coming into Olympics at 2032 where they are where the where they're hot hot ones, that would be pretty fucking cool, though. Like Yeah. If it's like The sponsors the podcast sponsors. The Olympics. Jeez.
Juan Granados: No. But if I'm being serious, and I might say crazy, but I mean, 2030 2 is a freaking long time away. But if it was 2032, and those athletes or whatever people come to Brisbane, I'll at that point, I would always want it to be like, oh, these guys are in Brisbane. I don't know if we're gonna be in Brisbane by the time or not. So obviously, we have it. But if we were there, it might be a thing of like, hey, you know, all these people flying in or whatever. If you're gonna go to a podcast, you've gotta go on this podcast. Like, this is the podcast you have to go on. Mhmm. That sort of level. So, you know, I think you're gonna start to see, yes, more digital. I'm gonna say digital entrapment. You're gonna see more digital content coming out from us for sure of old stuff as well, isn't you? But you're going to see in high quality, hopefully, and then more content from yourself. And I think you can start to see us more locally, you're going to start seeing the mere mortals, you want to call it logo, you want to call it brand, you want to call it precedents, you want to call it whatever, it's going to be around the area. And I don't know what that looks like just yet. But I think it's coming.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. You know, I was I was kind of reflecting on everything that we've done. And I think you're right in the sense, you know, it'd be hard to find someone who's put out more more stuff than we have and not only just stuff because it's it's easy to put out stuff. But I I was going I was going through those those old, meandering, some amusing ones from outdoors. And and I was like, man, this this is actually really good. This is this isn't I feel it's not worthy of the, you know, 5 views that that it has on the, at least just on the the YouTube side of things. And what I suppose I'm wondering, you know, with AI just being able to find clippable things, find more interesting things, find the stuff that that people kind of want. I mean, it's no no doubt what we've already we've always struggled with the creating of these things. I'm I'm just not interested in in doing it that much. You're definitely along the same thing. Like, we I don't want to spend 55 hours creating 4 really good clips. That's that's not interesting to me. No. I don't I don't like visual. It isn't valuable for us nor is it valuable for anybody else, honestly. Yeah I I don't like the game of doing that and and the times that I did kind of play that game and you know we we've had a bit of virality on on instagram with some of Pete's clips, and he was talking shit about Elon Musk. And then just the comments, man, I I didn't wanna deal with that. So I think that, you know, it's possible that with with AI, with these things, it's it's just being able to kinda capture our essence, if you if you wanna put it that way. And, you know, then this begs the question, like, are we anything special? Is is if if that was the the case, you know, even playing field in terms of, like, everyone's everyone is putting out content. They all get the the AI treatment. Let's just say there's this one AI bot which just does the best job. It's it's nothing could beat it. It's it's the one to use. So it's kind of, like, even playing field in terms of it now just has acts it. The content has to rely on its own merits in terms of are you saying smart things? Are you saying these things in an engaging way? Is it funny? Is it does it make you feel things is a good story? There's still a lot to be improved on us with what we can do for that. But I also think that we're not the worst at it. True. So so yeah. No. That's that's a good and that's a that's a good goal to aim for, I think. Yeah. Becoming the
Juan Granados: premier podcast in Brisbane. I'm I'm up for that. I'm up for Yeah. Honestly, I think there's something to be said about hyper local, like, hyper localization to the extent that we can better that because, again, it comes to the the network of just of sharing it run. If we can get people kinda talking about it in an easier way in our local where we can, like, really impact them with there, it becomes so much easier to influence that. I think there's a lot a lot to that as well. I suppose the only thing with that is
Kyrin Down: you have to then consider the what type of content you're putting out because you can have the best Brisbane podcast, but it's not about Brisbane things. True. You know, is is it possible to have be the best podcast in Brisbane if you're not talking about Brisbane things? Exclusively about Brisbane. Yeah. That's a good point. Because because, let's take what bitcoin did, for example. That's a very, very popular show. He's based in where is he want to? He always talks about that football team of his. Probably somewhere somewhere in England. Somewhere in Europe. Somewhere somewhere in England where it's it's out of the way. It's not in the big cities. It's not it's not kind of the the place where they all congregate like they seem to in the US. You know, every all the big podcasters are going to, Austin. Austin, Texas for whatever reason. Some something's drawing them all there. Mhmm. And, you know, he's got a huge, massive show, but not not that many people would know because it's it's it's a bitcoin show. You know, it's so would would he be the best, podcaster? And I think it's like it starts with a b, I believe. I was gonna say Bristol Bristol. I don't know. No. That's Bristol. I wouldn't say Brentford, but but it's it's it's like one of those type of things. Yeah. One of those anyways. But that's a good point. Probably.
Juan Granados: Yeah. But maybe is maybe it is like one of those that's like, oh, yeah. You have the do you know a podcast from this place? Yes. It's that one.
Kyrin Down: Benefit. Okay. Yeah. Which I guess gets onto the also content side of things. So one of the things whilst traveling in particular is, I think it'd be kind of nice to just go back to a meanderings type of format for a bit. Yeah. Where it's just we don't have a particular topic, but, you know, I'm going to have interesting observations from my week especially because I'm going to be in Brazil. And so it would be I think it'd be just nice to to go back to that format for for a little bit, for the for these episodes. And also the the light, like, last thing I wanna do upon waking up first thing in the morning at at and and I think we might have to move it to, like, 7:30 PM because just even the thought of getting up at 5:30 to do a 6 AM Making your leg shake. But Making you It's it's hard, man. It's hard psychologically. But waking up at 6 AM to do a 6:30, I I think that's one I could I could manage. But, yeah, I'm, like, I'm I'm not gonna be firing all all wits. Best best philosophical thinking, best best things like that. And it also ties into my theme of of just wanting to have a bit more fun joking around, making more silly jokes, and things like that. So even though I just said, like, oh, yeah. We're gonna make the the content is gonna be really crisp. It's gonna be, you know, well prepared and maintained. I think just for this next little period, it's gonna be a bit more off the cuff. It'll be more fluid. It'll be more fluid for sure, I think. Way more fluid. It'll be it'll be good to just see if if people enjoy that or not as well. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. So, I was just trying to go through all of these, little things here. So the last thing that I I wanted to really talk about was social media strategy. And so this is the thing where I was saying just taking clips and putting them on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, etcetera. It's it's okay in terms of that reminding thing. I don't think it draws more people in per se, nor does it nor does it make the people who are already there, you know, want to click on our channel and find more. I don't think whereas if I was to start creating some stuff, which is once again not it doesn't need to be super detailed, highly edited things. That's not I'm not interested in that. I'm not gonna do that. But if it is that I'm going live in 5 minutes time, and I'm talking about this video here where I did a PB handstand, and then I just, you know, play Talk about that, basically. Of that. That that's the kind of thing where I'm like, yeah. Okay. That that I could I could do that. And that that kind of makes sense to me because, I do enjoy coming across things which have which are obviously have been posted to that channel for that particular thing rather than just seeing the same, You know, if you go on to, like, a meme site like 9 gag, for example, you'll see TikTok videos that have been pasted on on, you know, it's been posted on TikTok. It's made it way over there. And I've also seen it on Twitter and X and, you know, it's just like, okay, well, it's lost its impact sort of deal. So, yeah, I kind of kind of kind of thinking about that as well where it's just I'll the less clippage and less just just ran, you know, if you look at our, Instagram, for example, you'll see that I've we've we've created, like, highly tailored, what would you call them, thumbnails? They're they're individual. I I I put effort into them. And there's they're they're a good reminder. They're a good, like, hey, this is what the show was about. This is what we talked about in this episode. But it also feels, I don't know, a little bit soulless. And, I wanna try and put more soul into things It's the other thing I'm thinking about.
Juan Granados: Yeah, like that. And I mean, you you people are hiring me for listening to this live. You would have seen this but starting to use just again, only more fun things, I guess I would have to call them in the thumbnails and a few other things that I'm using either it's because I'm enjoying them in my day to day. I think yeah. I like that. It's probably just exposing a bit of more fun of the stuff that we like doing and just that coming that across with a podcast as opposed to it being too again, I complained about a gem earlier, too clinical. Right? And it's not I don't want it to be supremely clinical. It needs to be, like, its own flare that kinda comes up with the things that we do generally. So I think you'll see that more and more as well. Yeah.
Kyrin Down: I'm so today was my last day at total fusion for, you know, my membership ended. And, over the last couple of days, I was I was just telling people, like, oh, yeah. I'm I'm leaving soon. Wednesday's gonna be my last day. And there was, what, like, 33 or 4 people where I had a genuine, like, goodbye hug. Like, it was really nice to meet you. I hope to see you here again, you know, 6 months time. And that made, you know, in contrasting that with the Good Life Gym where I just left, I didn't really know anyone. The people who I did try and speak with there, I never really made good friends with anyone. It it just has such a different vibe to it where, yeah, it it actually matters the, the kind of feeling that you get from things. And, I shudder to think of this podcast ever feeling like a job. And I think I I think I talked about it, in the last value for value show where I said, you know, I I I had to, you know, with the book reviews, for example, no one really was participating in the boostograms. I I felt I I had a solid crack at it. I I couldn't really think of better ways to to make that and to also just, you know, grow the show. If I wanted to grow the show, what would I need to do? I'd need to read more modern books. I certainly would be wouldn't be reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which I'll be doing tomorrow, which is from the 14th slash 15th century poetry, of all things. And I'd need to be talking doing that and then probably talking with modern authors, getting them onto the show and discussing that. And I just went, you know, I could see that I could see that becoming successful in terms of the monetary things, in terms of views and plays and clips and stuff like that. And I would also hate it. I would not want to do it and I'd get sick of it and I would go and then I would have to go, oh, this is feels like a lot like a job. I had a job which paid way more than this and I'm feeling the same. Why am I doing it for this? Like, it's probably better just going back to that old
Juan Granados: old stuff. Here's pushback here's pushback though. If you were doing that, if you're saying we're doing that with the book review and interviewing the author, and that did take off. And then it was 50 times what you were earning, but you could have a 9 to 5 job. How does it make it worth it?
Kyrin Down: No, still no still no. That that's an issue. I hadn't even thought about that. Still still know for that respect. And this is where it's, I'm also like, I'd love to be, like you said, the, you know, the best podcasters in Brisbane, that I think that's a that's a cool ambition to have how you would measure that metric. You know, is it the best podcast is as decided by, you know, a random poll of 1,000 personites or something like that? That's not how it is. It's it's the it's
Juan Granados: to be the most recognizable.
Kyrin Down: Okay. Yep. And the the the thing that I would also just just adding on to this was, you know, I was I was looking at kind of, like, okay, how how could we grow the mere mortal show? And the way that I sort of thought of it was like, you know, the episodes where we get guests on, they do better. They draw in a new crowd. This is known. This is why the most popular podcast out there are the ones where it's just interviewing people. There's a Joe Rogan, Chris Williamson, that sort of deal. And, you know, I was like, you know what? I should step it up. We didn't do conversations for what, like, 5 months, 6 months or something where we were just taking a break. And I started them up again. I'm like, oh, yeah. This is fun. I enjoy doing this. I wouldn't want to do it 3 times a week. That that would also That's very happy. In fact,
Juan Granados: I'm gonna call this right now. Like, I'll say that that'll almost never happen in this podcast.
Kyrin Down: Oh, yeah. I don't Until until
Juan Granados: one thing happens. And that is when we hire a full time editor, producer, public person Okay. Yeah. Then I would do it because I've been close to hiring that person. I've been on and off thinking about this because I would also double down on, well, you know, can they document the stuff that I'm doing? And then that goes you know, they can edit that content, which sometimes just takes a lot of effort. But if I had a full time producer on the podcast, bro, fuck it. I'd like I can do it. I can do the talking. And then as long as they can produce that stuff for us. Fantastic. We're not there yet. But if we got there, you better believe I'd be able to do that. And it's also just the
Kyrin Down: the aspect of, making it into a full time income as well. So just the money side of things, which we haven't really talked about. We're at the stage now where we get we send I think we get back more than what we put in, which is nice. It's a nice thing to have. Not by much, but it but it's still nice. And, you know, I was I was kind of thinking, like, I just wonder if there will ever be a point where it's where I I think it's doable to make it so that it does fit into the kind of, like, ideal lifestyle that I want. And it's not gonna in this book, for example, is is a good way of putting it. So so Gawain, he's he's, you know, the chivalrous knight. And he he encounters a scenario where basically this this lady of a of a foreign castle is trying to seduce him whilst her her partner, the Lord, is is going out and hunting. And the the interesting thing I was thinking about chivalry, which is you you think it's like a real black and white type of thing. You know, you you're chivalrous. You, you follow if you follow this code and you just don't give in to the temptation of this beautiful lady trying to seduce you and sleep with you, that's that's that's how to be chivalrous. That's that's how to the kind of win the game of of morals. But but what you see in the book is, like, no. Here, not only does he have to reject her, but he has to be very tactful in the way he does it. And he and it kind of, like, it just reminded me, like, to to do the best to be the best you can't just have this, ideal and I'm somewhat idealistic. You look at if you check out the value for value so you see that I'm rather idealistic over there but I think there is a you need to have maybe like a 5 or 10% thought to kind of like strategy or criticality criticality or perhaps doing the things which isn't exactly what you wanna do. It's not the most fun thing. You can't just follow fun as your one guiding metric to to creating something successful and getting to the place where you want to get. And this is one of those ones where it's like I've still, you know, 25 hours a week of of the podcast is is what I was kind of saying. And that's that's probably about how much effort we've been I've personally been putting in this whole time. So it's not a full time gig. It's not it's not certainly not a 9 to 5 hours, 5, 5 days a week. But maybe there is a point where it's like, okay, I need to put in 33 hours and at 8 of those hours is just gonna be kinda crappy, but it will get me to the place where it where I really wanna be. So this this is where it's just like, I think there's always gonna be, like, this tug and pull of we we go down a new path, we try things out, experiment with that, see if it's successful, realize, like, oh, you know, the clips, they're doing this weird thing. I'm not really enjoying that. It's successful, but, I think it's like trying to find that that meandering path to the point where it's like really good things are happening and I feel really good about it. And there's no obvious real bad downside to it of, oh, I'm going to turn into a click baity, controversial person just because that that's that's what gets clicks and views and money and stuff like that.
Juan Granados: Mhmm. No. No. No. No. I don't think you'll know again, you haven't seen it for many years with the mere mortals podcast, you won't see it in the future. And I think what we're just talking about is times are changing in that we're just adapting again to what we see in front of us. There's travel, there's things that we're going to go ahead to go somewhere else. I've got travels coming up in May, you know, other things are happening. It's, you're just gonna see us adapt. But what I can promise you is that I think over time, you're going to see more of us, not less of us. And you're probably gonna start seeing us in unexpected ways, probably ways that you haven't seen us before. So at least that I think we can promise that.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. Sounds good. That's, that's the plan, man. So starting, from so just what you'll actually see immediately changes wise. I'm not going to do thumbnails anymore. Once one stop doing them as well. There's, there's just kind of like no point in them for the benefit. No benefit. Yep. For the for this immediate portion. I would love to, yeah, hit us up via boost gram or via direct message on any of the the platforms within the links below. I would love to know if any of the changes that you see us doing, do you like them or not like them? I get the feeling that there's we'll make a bunch of changes and nothing will happen. No one no one really knows because it's not it's not that important. You know, they come in for the thoughts, the ideas, the know, Macintosh said it was for the the self development stuff. And that's that's kind of what I'm more leaning into and just observing more. So, yeah, no no more thumbnails. Video Still still probably there'll be stuff, but it's it's certainly gonna be not as high quality. You know, I'm I'm gonna be using this webcam and not not the the 4 k video that one has at the moment. Remind me to give you the which video. Yeah. No, I'll give you the, the cord. So if you want to, you can go 4 k with the, sorry. You can you can go 10:80 with the HDMI video capture thing that I've got here. For any, like, interviews and stuff. Yep. Yeah. Yeah. But, yeah. If you do any external ones, remote ones. But, yeah, that's I I think that's it. I don't I don't think I've got any more I think that's probably touched my Google highlights. Is there any comments or anything else that we wanna address at Lucas was just saying he wants to show it, but I'm like, dude, I'll take one for you, but I'm gonna I'll teach you how to earn it. That's that's That's a good that's a good point. Give you one. One but but yeah we'll we'll make it happen. He'll he'll he'll enjoy it and and he's a medium so let's go.
Juan Granados: Good. We've got a lot of medium shows. There's plenty of those available. Oh, yeah. Yeah. Good. Okay. Well, look, we've talked about the prescriptograms and everything else in the way that you can support us, Karen,
Kyrin Down: which we wanna point people to if they want to support us what they wanna do. Yeah. So we we're a value for value podcast, which essentially means we put all of this value up front for you. And I hope you found some value in this in terms of strategic thinking or just where we're going for the future, why we're we're gonna be doing the things that we do. I think I think it's a I think it's an insightful look into into what we're thinking and and feeling and the the behaviors that we take so the with the value for valuements we just ask that you provide some value back to us so time talent and treasure you can share this episode with someone who is thinking about going alive and you know why why you would maybe want to go live strategy wise for for a podcast You can if you've got some talent, if you is there some shows that you think that we could make that you'd really wanna hear If there's, if you're, like, a videographer editor who wanted what do you call them? Like, a virtual assistant even who would help 1, do all of these Producers. Producers. Producer. If you're if you're in the area and or you know someone who you think is really good, you know, send a message out to to one and myself. If you wanted to create thumbnails and art for us because we're not gonna do it anymore. If you want to flex out your skills on AI and create some things, make something interesting, contribute back that way, please, please would love that and would definitely give you credit and chuck you in in a as a split as well if you are interested in that. And then finally, Treasure Wise, there's a bunch of links on mere mortalspodcast.com/support where you can send in a boostagram like Macintosh did, like, colded. Did Macintosh this week? No. No. He didn't. No. He wasn't. Did the the other week, like like, border dash boys did. There's also a PayPal link. If you send that in, we we use that to help support other developers and and things. But we do appreciate that and and call you out for it. And was there any other way? Those are the 2 main ways. Yeah. Those are the main ways. Yeah. That's it. That's it, Juan. Nice.
Juan Granados: Well, new model, I'll be very honest.
Kyrin Down: And next and next week is gonna be a completely new type of one. I don't know how it'll go. It'll it'll be, yeah, it'll be an interesting
Juan Granados: Let me put it this way. We've never done before. Let me put it this way. I I have literally no idea if we can make it work, first of all, because we're gonna have 5 people on the podcast. I think it'll There will I think it'll There will be alcohol. We can. Yeah. If you can hear us and see us all, it will be amazing because we're only gonna be using 1 camera. It won't be like multiple cameras either. That's one camera trying to capture everything.
Kyrin Down: I could do multiple cameras. I could make it happen just with the software because we're all in the same room. I could make that work. Okay. Well, wouldn't we need 2 4 ks video connectors? I mean, like, I could use this camera, I could use
Juan Granados: a whole laptop camera. I could use. We'll see we'll see what we do. It's gonna get wild. Honestly, if you're listening to this now or later, tune into that live. I'll I'll do whatever I can just to see to get people in next. It'll be it'll be interesting. Let's just put it that way. It's gonna be an interesting conversation. Episode 441 is what that's gonna be. Yeah. I'll I'll try and set up the a phone, like, plugged into a charger or something to it, like, live streams as well. We will have Mancil available to address
Kyrin Down: everything that we've insulted
Juan Granados: with with That's how the podcast is gonna kick off. That is literally how the podcast is gonna kick off, so be ready for that. Look. New Model X will leave you there. Thank you very much for tuning in for those musings as well. Again, 7 PM Australian Eastern Standard Time. Yes. That might change slightly. We'll definitely let you know in the next one, when because by that point, we'll have a good idea. Oh, no. We'll know probably for the the following one, and, you know, we'll just work with that. Looks like so Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Exactly. For that. Stay tuned. Keep connecting. But for now, I'm immortalized. Thank you very much for tuning in. On out. Car now. Bye.