Speaker 1: You remember that whole living wage obsession fight for fifteen where minimum wage workers are.
Speaker 2: Demanding and wanting to unionize.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that they're like, you know, we must unionize it. We have to be unionize everyway. There's no other way that this is gonna work. But if we unionize and they kept fighting, fighting for fifteen dollars an hour, then the number, as inflation has gone up and Bidenomics has done what Bidenomics is doing, the number's gone up and it's gotten even worse now it's eighteen or twenty or twenty two or twenty five dollars an hour, depending on where you are in the country. And this is a push by the left in a big way to make sure that every single person has what they describe as a living wage. Now, there's some jobs that don't deserve to pay a quote living wage. And you may hear me say that, and you're gonna say, I can't believe you just said that. Let me explain it so that you understand what I mean. There are certain jobs that are jobs that are entry level jobs. They're in between jobs, they're part time jobs, they are jobs that are short term to get a little experience Okay, those are what we're talking about here. Those are the jobs that we're describing, and those jobs are jobs that are have never had the intent to take care of you. Those jobs are never those jobs are never designed to be jobs that would support you and your family forever. A living wage means they believe you should be able to take a job at McDonald's at fast food, and that job should be able to provide for you and your entire family. Now, if you do the average, let's let's let's let's downgrade it actually from four to three. How about that, we'll say, hey, only only three pre people that this job is going to take care of so one child to adults. The idea that the Left is sold people that a job at McDonald's or Taco Bell or Wendy's or fast food in general that's outside of management should be able to provide for your family forever as a career is insane.
Speaker 2: That's not reality.
Speaker 1: The majority of jobs, in fact, that I've had in my life were jobs that were never intended to take care of a family. I'll give you example, the number of tennis rackets in my life that I have strung. I can't even imagine what that total number is. That number is astronomical in the thousands and thousands and thousands. Now, could I make good money string tennis rackets?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did I make great money when I was thirteen and fourteen and fifteen and sixteen and seventeen stringing tennis rackets? I actually did. For that age, I was killing it. I was making a ton of money for that age. Should I have thought, though, when I was stringing tennis racket that this should be a living wage, that this is a wage, should be able to take care of me, and then when I get married a wife, and then when we have kids kids.
Speaker 2: No. Now, that job, by the way.
Speaker 1: Always paid me more than I think twelve fifteen bucks an hour. I don't think at any point was I ever string tenas ary. So it was under that. In other words, it was a really good job. But it was not a job that was designed to provide for a family.
Speaker 2: It just wasn't. In fact, many of.
Speaker 1: The radio jobs that I had when I was growing up, I used to do radio back when I was a kid. I'm talking about thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, Uh at six forty bought radio network that once a week job mid South viewpoint was the name of the show that I would host on Tuesdays, then it turned into Tuesdays and Thursdays. Would that job Was that job designed to pay for a living wage for me to take care of my family and forever.
Speaker 2: The answer is no. And that was in radio, right, So like you would.
Speaker 1: Argue, that would be above like a job at Taco Bell or Wendy's. And I also want to be clear, I'm not demeaning anyone that works there, Okay. I think entry level jobs are important. I think they teach you something like you know, showing up. They teach you about responsibility. They teach you about the value of the dollar and how hard it is and how hard it can be to make a dollar. Teaches you about budgeting, teach you about taxes. I mean, the list goes on and on of the things that it teaches you. Okay, I want to be clear about that. But when I was doing that job, I'm pretty sure my pay was like four seventy five an hour, and I'm not joking. And then they're like, look, you come into the show at too, you get here a couple hours early. We'll even pay for lunch every week. That was my job. That was what the offer was. We'll give you a free lunch and we'll pay you minimum wage. At some point, you get good at that job, and then you move up and start making real money, right, which is great. I'm glad that there's real money to be made at some point in this career. I mean that sincerely. I'm genuinely glad that there is money to be made down the road. And that's great news, Like that's important. But to mandate it the way that they're trying to mandate it is also just completely insane. To mandate the way that they're saying you must mandate it is not going to work out because the math just doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Like, the math doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Now, how do we know that California food chains are laying off workers ahead at a massive rate of a new minimum wage law? Now, what's the new minimum wage out in California? The new minimum wage is twenty dollars minimum. So you walk in, you're sixteen years old, you're fifteen years old, and you say, I want to work at McDonald's or Wendy's or whatever it is, Taco Bell, Smoothie King, right, whatever, I don't care a pick a brand. The law says they have to pay you twenty dollars an hour. Now, the problem with this is all it's going to do is make the price of food go through the roof. Okay, that's just what's gonna happen. It's gonna make the cost of food go through the roof, and it's gonna make it unaffordable now for people to eat fast food. Yesterday, I was flying back from New York and I landed and the fight came in kind of late, and there I was hungry. It was dinner time, and I got a nugget meal at Chick fil A and it was, like I think it was, I want to say it was fifteen or sixteen dollars for one person. That's where we are within now, Like it's insane. And part of that is the wages have gone up. And so when the wages go up, you now to feed a family it Chick fil A, it's like fifty to sixty dollars. That's like fast food folks. And now these California fast food locations are letting go massive amounts of their workers ahead of the new twenty dollars minium wage loss slated to take effect in April. That could dramatically impact their bottom lines. Several eateries, including pizza chains, have begun to cut jobs and an effort to get ahead of the possible financial repercussions. The Wall Street Journal is now reporting. All right, before I continue with this, I want to tell you about my friends over at Freedom Gold.
Speaker 2: And if you are like me and you.
Speaker 1: Are worried about your financial future and protecting your hard earned dollars, you need to do what so many are doing around the world, and that is turning to gold and silver as a hedge against in fla and the much higher consumer prices we're dealing with right now. You need a financial plan that ensures that you the money you save today will be enough for you tomorrow. And that's where gold and silver come in. Gold and silver have historically been amazing hedges against inflation and a great way to protect your hard earned retirement funds. And when it comes to buying gold and silver, you need a trusted partner. You need Freedom Gold USA. Let me tell you why. On average they charge twenty five to thirty percent less than most major gold and silver firms.
Speaker 2: What does that mean.
Speaker 1: It means you could literally get twenty five to thirty percent more gold or silver when buying from Freedom Gold over their competitors, just by picking a partner that you can trust. Freedom Gold USA is all about educating their clients on how to invest in precious metals. And that's why I use them, and this is why I want you to call them. So take control of your financial future now. And no matter what happens in the world, no matter what happens with banking, no matter what happens with hackers, if you have real tangible assets gold and silver, you know you are protected. One eight hundred sixty five five eight eight four three. Take control your financial future now. Visit Freedomgoldusa dot com, slash ben that's Freedom Goold Usa dot com slash Ben, or call them one eight hundred sixty five five eight eight four to three Freedom Goold Usa dot com. Tom Benferguson sent you now, Michael oj dot twenty nine. He is a pizza Hut driver in Ontario, California. Told the newspaper that he received a notice from Pizza Hut franchise Southern California Pizza in December informing him that his last day of work would be in February. Pizza Hut was my career for nearly a decade, and with little to no notice it was taken away. Well, if you I want to know who to blame for that, that driver who had been doing this for ten years needs to call his legislators and say, why did you cost me my job by demanding a pay rate that was unrealistic? And he's not the only one, by the way, He's just one example here. Do you believe the government should step in and mandate massive increases in minimum wage or should the market decide it? They're now moving not It was fifteen dollars an hour, right mandated? It must have fifteen dollars an hour. It was over and over again. They were going nuts on that. Remember that Now it's twenty dollars an hour and it's becoming the law out in California. So what's happening? People are losing their jobs left and right? And why are they losing their jobs left and right? Very simply one thing, one thing, and one thing only, because you can't afford to pay people twenty dollars an hour for every single entry level job. It doesn't work. It just doesn't work. It's not financially feasible and everybody knows it's not financially feasible, it's not possible, but they're doing it anyway because it's about buying votes.
Speaker 2: That's what this is all about.
Speaker 1: You look at this twenty nine year old the Pizzahut driver in Ontario, California. He said, I got this notice from Pizza Hut in December informing me that my last day of work would be in February. And by the way, I think that's a pretty good runway for them, right. They were showing him respect by not holding until two weeks notice kind of thing, because they know that between December and February he could have found another job. And he said, pizzaut was my career for nearly a decade, and with little to no notice, it was taken away. I feel bad for that guy, but the Democrats just cost him his job. Last year, multiple Pizza Ut franchises in California if filed notice is to comply with the Workers Worker Adjustment and Retaining Notification Acts, saying they were discontinuing their delivery services because they couldn't afford to pay the drivers twenty bucks an hour. Many of the services were delivery driver jobs. In December Southern California Pizza coming an it's layoffs of around eight one hundred and forty one drivers across the state. Eight hundred and forty one people's jobs were lost because the Democrats went psycho and decided that everybody deserves twenty dollars an hour. The moves will impact pizza at locations in La Orange County, San Bernardino, Riverside, California, and Ventura Counties in California, where select California franchises have elected to make changes to their staffing approach. Access to delivery service will continue to be available via Pizza Hut and mobile app, they sat in a statement, as well as the website and phone ordering and the customer ordering experience will remain consistent, is what a Pizza Hut spokesman said. Roundtable Pizza, founded in Menlo Park, California, said it plans to lay off around seventy three different delivery drivers this year, seventy three. It's Caliber Pizza LLC said the employees being laid off are delivery drivers. We can't afford to pay people twenty dollars an hour to deliver pizza. We wouldn't make any money. The franchisee is transferring their delivery service to third party, is how they're describing it, saying, while it is unfortunate, we look at this as a transfer of jobs. As you know, many California restaurant operators are following the same approach due to rising operating costs. We anticipate third party delivery providers will in turn, we'll see a boost in their businesses, which require additional staff on their ind But we just can't do it. Fat brands acknowledged that delivery fees may increase and customers could see higher prices as a result of the mandated shift in what it costs to hire a human being. Brian Home, owner of two Virtual Virtue Virtual Vitality excuse me Vitality Bowls restaurants in San Jose, said he runs his stores with two employees and said the typical four the staff shortage means longer wait times for customers and increased prices to cover the additional labor costs. I'm definitely not going to hire any more, he told the paper. The wage law applies to workers in fast food chains with sixty or more locations around the nation, so not just in California.
Speaker 2: In the nation.
Speaker 1: Supporters have said, many workers in fast food restaurants are not teenagers working their first job, and so therefore they deserve a living wage. How's that working out? Restaurants are struggling to stay above water, and Democrats just threw them another disaster. That's where the California Assembly Republican leader said to Fox Business, saying, we warned Democrats that the new mandate would cost countless jobs. They ignored us, and here we are with the highest unemployment w rate in the country, posed to get even higher. So California is the highest unemployment rate and it's gotten even higher. To make things even worse, there was corruption with this deal. California Governor Gavin Newsom has a best friend. It's one of his longtime billionaire donors. Yeah, guess what he did hook him up. Well, he made an exemption to the state's new twenty dollars minimum wage regulation for the fast food industry that if you create bread, you don't have to pay the twenty dollars an hour. And guess what his billionaire friend owns countless Panera Bread stores. Panera Bread, it's fast food around the state. Yeah, So just thought i'd tell you about that corruption.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Chains exempt from the new law are those that prepare baked bread on site to be sold as a standalone menu item. So Panera bread was initially exempt until allegation surface at the California Governor Newsom pushed for the exemption to benefit his billionaire friend and donor, Greg Flynn, he owns dozens of Panara locations across the state. Newsom, of course denied the allegation in februaryes that Panera would have to comply with a new law after massive backlash over the clear corruption between the two men. All Right, this has been something in the Fight for fifteen here in the mid South has been pretty like prominent lately. We've seen it in front of McDonald's on Union, We've seen it in front of a taco bell on Poplar. We've seen it in several different areas where they've been really pushing hard for this quote fight for fifteen. My question for you is this is is it the government's job to mandate that you make a certain amount of money or is this a disaster waiting to happen? And look, wages have already gone up several dollars an hour just since COVID it was hard to find employees post COVID or during COVID when everybody was making more money sitting at home, and so wages had to go up to get people to even show up for their jobs. That was a huge problem. They have not come down since then. They've not come back since then. It's an issue. It's a really, really, really big issue. So this idea that we're going to pay you twenty dollars an hour in California, twenty bucks an hour, folks like twenty dollars an hour, like this is nuts for any entry level job.
Speaker 2: And this is how you destroy an economy. It's also the studies have been.
Speaker 1: So clear, like they've been overwhelmingly clear. Okay, the studies are are obvious, and what they have shown are again it's it's very clear. It's clear that you give people these artificial wages and then the costs of goods and services go up, so you actually lose the money that you're mandating through instantly giving it back into to the economy to try to cover what you just mandated through the government. Like that doesn't work. It's not going to work. It's it's never worked, and you can see it time and time again. I'm in favor of a lower minimum wage, federal minimum wage, if there is a minimum wage, Like I think, I'm a fair market guy, and I think that the markets ultimately should decide. Like I don't believe that the that the markets, Okay, I just don't. I don't believe that the markets should have these these mandates on them. I believe that businesses should be able to negotiate. And if someone feels like they're getting screwed or not being paid with their worth, then it's their job, their their obligation to find someone that's willing to pay them what they're worth. I've had to do that many times in my career, where I have left an employer because it was very clear that they were never gonna pay me what I believed I was worth. So what do you do? You have to find a new market, you have to find a new partner, you have to find a new business to go work for, or create something on your own that's no one's gonna get.
Speaker 2: And this is I also think.
Speaker 1: Part of this mentality that worries me that that you're just supposed to show up and then someone else is going to like be your agent for you and like is gonna just like, oh, well, I'll get you a raise. Like part of life is learning to fight for what you believe you're worth and figuring out how to make more money.
Speaker 2: That's part of what being an.
Speaker 1: Adult is, by the way, all about it's not the government shouldn't be your your agent, Like, that's not the job of the government. The government shouldn't be the one that mandates what you like, what you make, and it goes in and negotiates on your behalf.
Speaker 2: That's your job. That's what you're supposed to do. Like, that's on you. And if you don't like it, then I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 1: But this run to a party, and then the parties like, oh, we're gonna be the ones that help you change. We're gonna be the ones that help you make more money. That's just unrealistic.
Speaker 2: Like it just is. I'm sorry, it's unrealistic. Want to get to some other Sad news.
Speaker 1: Joe Lieberman, someone that I got to know pretty well back in the early two thousands, has passed away at the age of eighty two. The former Democratic vice presidential candidate then turned independent. A Jewish political hero, he was truly one of the last I think real moderates.
Speaker 2: Has passed away at the age of eighty two.
Speaker 1: He was dear friends with John McCain, for example, went and visited John McKay many times when John McCain was struggling with his brain tumor. And Joe Lieberman, who was that former Democrat who then turned independent, has passed away. He died yesterdayt the age of eighty two, due to complications from a fall. According to his family, this is awful because no one was expecting this. Net and Yahoo said Sarah and I grieve with the entire Lieberman family on the passing of our beloved Joe Lieberman. Joe was an exemplary public servant, an American patriot, and a matchless champion for Jewish people and the Jewish state. Netan Yahoo's sang that on Twitter. He went on to say, my very first meeting with him decades ago, I was struck by his integrity, decency, and civic courage. He had a deep moral sense and common sense, and was fearless in the defense of truth. He was also an extraordinarily kind and loyal personal friend. We will miss you, great Joe. May the Lieberman family be comforted among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem, Net and Yahoo, putting that out on social media.
Speaker 2: He was last the moderates, was how Mark Levin described it last night.
Speaker 1: Lieberman was in the news just a few days ago after he criticized Senate Majority leader Chuck Schumer for demanding early elections in Israel. He called Schumer's Gammeut outrageous and a mistake in the midst of Israel's war against Amas Terras.
Speaker 2: He was born in St.
Speaker 1: Stamford, Connecticut. Lieberman had an incredible career. He attended Yale for college and law school, served as Attorney General of Connecticut in one election to the state ledge legislature. He became more religious over the course of his life and was the only Orthodox Jewish member of the Senate during his twenty four year tenure. He observed the Jewish Sabbath and even wrote a book, The Gift of Rest in two thousand and nine and its importance when voters were on Saturdays. When votes were on Saturdays, excuse me. He would walk to the capital from his home in Georgetown and a colleague would cast his vote for him. Lieberman was a New Deal Liberal who combined an enthusiasm for civil rights, social welfare, and social policies. He did not, however, support gay marriage, and voted for the Defensive Marriage Act in nineteen ninety six, defending the importance of traditional families in the raising of children. He grew in stature as a moral voice in the Senate and was one of the Democrats who spoke out most forcefully against President Bill Clinton's conduct in the Monicolensky affair. That we ultimately vote against removing Clinton from office in the Clinton Senate impeachment trial in eighteen ninety nine, then President Al Gore or Vice President should say excuse me. Al Gore when he ran for president in twenty twenty, Lieberman was a natural choice as his running mate. His criticism of Clinton would also allow Gore to put some moral distance between himself and the troubled incumbent. Lieberman's nomination was also a milestone American history, as it marked the first time a Jewish person had been considered for the nation's second highest office, with the potential to rise even higher. Gore and Lieberman won the popular vote, but fell short in the electoral college. After the Florida recount and after the Supreme Court decision in Bush v. Gore that insured victory for George W. Bush and Dick Cheney. Lieberman became an important ally of the Bush administration the wake of the Tarr attacks on September the eleventh, when he spoke out forcefully in favor of war against al Qaeda. Drawing on his experience as a Jew and a support of his or, Lieberman emphasized the need to confront terrorism and terrorists, both militarily and ideologically. He also supported Bush in the Iraq War, remaining a steadfast supporter of the effort as it faced a bloody counter insurgency that led to a major backlash against Lieberman the Democratic Party. He failed to gain traction as a presidential candidate in two thousand and four when he ran, then faced a primary challenge in six the so called net roots of online left wing activist targeted Lieberman for defeat and backed a businessman, Ned Lamont on an anti war platform. After losing the primary, Liebingberman became an independent, betting that Connecticut voters still supported him, and guess what he won. In two thousand and seven, Liberman endorsed John McCain for president, backing the veteran lawmaker due to support of the war against terror. Lieberman went on to launch No Labels, an independent group that seeked modern, nonpartisan alternatives to traditional candidates. He praised President Trump for his pro Israel policies and attended the opening of the US embassy in Jerusalem in eighteen, telling Breitbart News that support for the Jewish state should not be a partisan issue. In nineteen, he told Breitbart's editor in chief on their show on exem Patriot, the President Trump's decision to recognize Israel's sovereignty over the over the Gowen Heights was critically important. He explained the fact that the president is unconventional enables him to do something the presents before him of both parties probably thought was the right thing, but would never do it and never did it. Joe Lieberman has passed away from a complications from a fall at the age of eighty two. Our thoughts and prayers with a Lieberman family. He was a patriot and someone that truly loved this country. This is going to trickle out. I have a feeling more. I'm going to cover it all for you. Make sure that you download the Ben Ferguson podcast every day. We'll keep you updated. Hit the share button on our podcast as well. If you miss a show, go back and listen. We're gonna cover it all and I'll see you back here tomorrow on the Ben Ferguson Podcast