Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world. That's straight ahead on the program, a look at the March jobs report here in the US and what it means for FED policy. I'm Tom Busby in New York.
Speaker 1: I'm Caroline Hepcker here in London, where we're asking if the eupin Central Bank has won it's battle against inflation.
Speaker 3: I'm Brian Curtis in Hong Kong. I'll look ahead to China's PMIS and whether the PBOC wants to use the Chinese currency to juice the economy.
Speaker 4: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg day Break Weekend on Bloomberg Ey Look the Free own New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg one O six one, Boston, Bloomberg nine sixty, San Francisco DAB Digital Radio, London, Sirius XM one nineteen and around the world on Bloomberg Radio dot Com and via the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 2: Good day to you. I'm Tom Busby, and we begin today's program with the March Jobs report, we get those numbers this coming Friday. What does this mean for Fed policy going forward? Well for more, we're joined by Michael McKee, Bloomberg International Economics and Policy Correspondent. Now, Michael, we saw blowout gains in January, strong growth in February, even though the unemployment rate ticked a little higher three point nine percent. What are you expecting to see for March this Friday?
Speaker 5: Pretty much the same thing. Want to make it sound boring, but we have no indication that the labor market has fallen off. And right now, the forecast consensus from econdom was surveyed by Bloomberg is for about two hundred and fifteen two hundred and sixteen thousand. That would be down from the prior month. But we haven't really been sure about what the numbers would be in some time because they keep coming in stronger than anticipated. So if we see something similar to that again, it would be mixed news for the FED and that they want people to get jobs and it's good for the economy. But the question becomes is an inflationary right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So a surprise to the upside would be no surprise, but it could hurt things let's talk about another thing, that's average hourly earnings and what are we looking for there? And that will what will that tell us about inflation?
Speaker 5: And yeah, average hourly earnings has been the Fed's focus in these jobs numbers because they're looking at whether or not employers are still having to pay up to attract employees and then raise prices to cover that. Right now, we're looking for a jump in average hourly earnings and no change in a year over year basis four point three percent. That's good for workers, it's above inflation. Inflation adjusted wages have been rising over one percent for the past some months, so that's from the worker side good news. But it still concerns the FED in terms of is that what's pushing up service industry prices as particular, which has been a big contributor to the fact that they can't get inflation down to two percent yet now not yet.
Speaker 2: And another concern for the FED is the unemployment rate. Now we know it's three point nine percent for February, they're expecting three point eight, still below what they view as an appropriate level four point one.
Speaker 5: Right Well, the FED thought we would get to four point one this year. They thought we would get to four point one last year, and we did. The unemployment rate has continued to surprise the FED. One of the questions is going to come with the labor force participation rate. We have seen more people entering the labor force, which is one reason that unemployment rose from its low of three and a half to now this three point nine percent, and that could be a reason for us to go over four. Nobody thinks we're going to go significantly over four, but it's been a while since we've been there, so there's a feeling at some point we have to go back to around that level. Because the FED and most economists think we are below the natural rate of unemployment, we're still in a level at which we see inflationary pressures because there's not enough people to take all the jobs.
Speaker 2: Well, now, fifteen million jobs added since Biden took office. How is this momentum carrying the perception of his economy biden Omics.
Speaker 5: It's starting to get better. We've had some numbers on consumer sentiment. They've been up but down just a little bit. But people are feeling pretty good still about the labor force, and that's because they have jobs, and if they have jobs, they can go out and spend, and the economy is growing faster than had been anticipated this year. So it's a reason perhaps that we have seen some of the polls turn around for President Biden. But you need to keep it going. And that's the question is is this going to continue?
Speaker 2: Yeah, November still a long way away. Well, let's talk about some of the jobs that we're seeing growth and some of the jobs where we're losing a little steam.
Speaker 5: Well, last month we lost to some manufacturing jobs which had been expected for some time and hadn't shown up yet because the ism numbers other measures of manufacturing have suggested a slow down. So we'll watch manufacturing payrolls. But most of the jobs are still being created in the health services industry and that's expected to continue for quite some time. As America ages, we need more people to help take care of them, so that a rise there is not a surprise. A rise in leisure and hospitality would not be a surprise. Those jobs turnover fairly quickly, and we've never really gotten back all the jobs at bars, restaurants and hotels that we lost during the pandemic. After that, you'd want to look at something like retail to see if companies are still feeling like Americans are going to shop enough to add workers. We've gotten through now January February where the extra help they hire for the holiday season gets let go. Are they still letting go people or are we going to see a rise in retail payrolls.
Speaker 2: That's going to be something to watch as well, and also another economic indicator construction jobs. Construction jobs have been interesting because the builders can't build houses fast enough. There's so much demand for new homes, and they have been able to find workers. Construction jobs have been rising, and so that's a consideration. Do we still see construction jobs rising. This kind of plays into the whole debate too about immigration in the presidential race, because a lot of undocumented immigrants are taking construction jobs, and without them, you wouldn't have the ability to build as many homes. So there's some good news bad news in that. Well our thanks to Michael McKee, Bloomberg's International economics and policy correspondent. Well we move now to the Walt Disney Company's annual meeting of shareholders. It'll be held on April third. It's usually an uneventful affair, but not this year. Activist investor, try On Fund Management founder Nelson Peltz going up against Disney CEO Bob Iiger looking for a seat on Disney's board. And for more on what's turned out to be a battle Royale, we're joined by Thomas Buckley, Bloomberg News entertainment reporter. So Thomas lay it out what is behind this fight for at least one board seat at Disney.
Speaker 6: Well, as you said, Tom, I think that in previous years it's been a pretty uneventful of third the Disney Annual General Meeting. I think that it couldn't be more eventful. In fact, this year, Nelson Pels's Trend Fund Management, the activist firm, has accumulated a stake in Disney work without three point five billion dollars and has been lobbying for board seats for the better half of almost two years now. And even a couple of weeks ago, it looked like, you know, Disney had turned in a very strong earnings report and it seems as though momentum on the Trian and Nelson Pelts side had really slowed. But since then we've seen a number of people step out in support of Pelts. Now that includes directors on the boards of companies where he's previously selled as a director, including Procter and Gamble, Montalize, Janis, Henderson and Moore. And now we have proxy advisers Iss and Egan Jones also supporting his candidacy for a board seat. So what seemed like in maybe an early victory for Disney is maybe now looking a bit more like a contest.
Speaker 2: Well, what is the problem that he has with Eiger and the direction of the Disney Company. What does he want to see changed?
Speaker 6: I think there are a number of issues that tryan light laid out in a one hundred and thirty three page white paper recently. Now he focuses on really the lack of oversight and accountability at the board level, which he claims has been the case for most of Disney's recent history. I think that Disney has taken steps to address a number of the complaints or you could say arguments laid out on the white paper. For example, it's appointed former Morgan Stanley's CEO James Gorman to its board and also former Sky CEO Jeremy Director Aid in a succession planning process. Obviously, will remember that the succession planning process as carried out by the board for the CEO that preceded Barbiger, so Bob Jpek, who lasted little less than three years and the role was not successful, which is why Barbigo had to return. Since his return in twenty twenty two, as contract has been extended all the way out of twenty twenty six. So I think that Nelson probably feels as though the board could be doing a better job, certainly in areas of succession planning and accountability.
Speaker 2: Well, now you talked about the support that Pelt has, but let's talk about the support that Iiger has won from Glass Lewis, JP Morgan Chase CEO, Jamie Diamond, and big names like Loreen Powell, jobs Star Wars director George Lucas, a favorite of many people, and also the Disney family. How does that backing affect, you know, what's going to happen this week?
Speaker 6: Well, I think that's really interesting because fundamentally we're seeing both sides Marshal support. I think that, you know, I'm not sure how you would argue necessarily the credibility of Glass Lewis versus the credibility of Iss versus the credibility of Evon Jones. I mean, these people are very much in the same game of speaking to shareholders and speaking to the companies and seeking to really, I suppose, improve governance of the companies that they monitor. I think the fact that a number of these proxy advisors are split speaks volumes probably about the shareholder base being split. I think that the support from Jamie Diamond would probably sway a number of institutional shareholders. The support from the likes of George Lucas, as you said, it's Star Wars, we might sway a number of retail shareholders. But I think that's certainly the support for Trian from a number of directors where Nelson's also served on the board might sway some disgruntleeds soucial shareholders who maybe bought Disney at the top, you know, around twenty twenty one and feel as though a bit of adgitus is what's needed at the company.
Speaker 2: Well, try On Fund controls about three and a half billion dollars of Disney stock. How big a slice is that holding and how much sway does that give Pelton try On?
Speaker 6: Well, the holding has certainly grown over time. So when Nelson first disclosed stake in the business at the time of what Biker's return. In November twenty twenty two, the steak was worth anywhere between eight hundred and nine hundred million dollars. It has grown materially over time because it includes Nell shares pledged by the former chairman of Marvel Entertainment, Ike Palmetto, who was fired unceremoniously by Aiger last year. To give a bit of context, I mean that three point five billion dollar steak compares to a market cap of about two hundred and twenty one million dollars, so on that front is a pretty meaningful, sizable steak. I'm certainly a shareholder that if it were anybody other than Nelson or Tryan, I think that the boys would probably be very much engaging with behind the scenes. Given the size of the of the voting power, I think that it gives naturally Tryan quite a bit of credibility. I mean, it's it's a huge stake to have in any business, especially one in the world's largest sense company.
Speaker 2: Well that virtual shareholder meeting this coming Wednesday. In our thanks to Thomas Buckley, Bloomberg News entertainment reporter, for his insights coming up on Bloomberg day Break Weekend we'll talk about whether the European Central Bank has won its battle against inflation. I'm Tom Busby, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Up later in our program, how close is the US Senate to passing a bill that would force TikTok's parent company to either sell the app or be banned in the US. But first, after the latest rounds of central bank rate decisions, investors are placing their bets on summer rate cuts. But one thing stands in a way. The data. One of the most important metrics is inflation in the EU. The higher for longer strategy was originally adopted by policymakers around the world in a bid to rain in soaring inflation levels. Is that fight over European core inflation data due next week may provide the biggest clue yet And for more, Let's go to London and bring in Bloomberg Daybreak europe anker Caroline Hepger Tom.
Speaker 1: So far in twenty twenty four, economists, CEOs and central bankers have all been consumed by one question when will interest rates come down?
Speaker 7: In Europe?
Speaker 1: Rates have reached their highest points since the global financial crisis in two thousand and eight, and yet the ECB has held interest rates steady at four and a half percent since September of last year. Even in the face of growing market pressure. There is a glimmer of hope, though. In a statement released following its last interest rate decision, the ECB said inflation projections have been revised down, in particular for twenty twenty four, which mainly reflects a lower contribution from energy prices. Now the central Bank has set itself a target of reducing inflation to two percent across all European countries combined, and officials might be closer than they think. According to Bloomberg's recent now cast of inflation, Eurozone inflation already sits at two percent. The gauge, compiled by Bloomberg Economics, incorporates thirty two variables ranging from unemployment to those energy costs are mentioned, and it has hit one point nine five percent after a drop in anual producer prices fed into the model. The figure is subject to change because of the nature of the now cast, but the drop speaks to a broader trend of falling European inflation. In fact, it's been on a downward trend for months as energy prices dip and the twenty country Eurozone economy stagnates for a second year in a row. So lower inflation should lead to lower interest rates, at least according to ECB President Christine Legarde, who said in a recent speech that the decisions of the Central Bank regarding rate cuts would be guided by economic data.
Speaker 8: Domestic price pressures will still be visible. We expect services inflation, for example, to remain elevated for most of this year, so there will be a period ahead where we need to confirm on an ongoing basis that the incoming data supports our inflation outlook. So this has two important implications for the policy path. Head two important implications. First, our decisions will have to remain data dependent and decided meeting by meeting, responding to new information as it comes in. This implies that even after the first rate cut, we cannot we cannot precommit to a particular rate path, however tempting that is, however much some of you would like to see it. If we are honest to our methodology and if we have discipline. In adhering to these principles, we cannot That was the first important implication. The second important implication is that our policy framework will remain important to process the incoming data and calibrate the appropriate policy stants inflation outlook, dynamics of underlying inflation, transmission of monetary policy. But at the same time, the relative weights assigned to the three criteria will have to be regularly examined.
Speaker 1: That was the ECB President Christine Lagarde speaking at the ECB and Its Watchers conference earlier this month. It's not all good news though. Underlying price pressures, particularly from salaries in the services sector, are still relatively high, a potential indicator that the trend towards slowing inflation could change. It's one of the reasons that the ECB continues to emphasize that rate cuts come only once they are sure that wage restraint is taking effect and that inflation and its slow down is actually here to stay. Because of this, European central bankers aren't declaring victory just yet. They have talked about most measures of underlying inflation having eased further, but domestic price pressures remaining high. Now one group hoping to see falling inflation next week, will be investors who are pricing in a ninety percent chance of an ECB rate cut by June. I was discussing this point with Black Crook's senior investment strategists Laura Cooper.
Speaker 9: So we'll be watching for whether that broadening, that upside kind of price pressures persist in March. But I don't think that's necessarily going to deviate the ECB away from a June rate cut. I think because at that point Christine Legard made it quite clear that they will have sufficient data to have more confidence than inflation is on that sustained trajectory back to two percent. So we're still leaning towards this rate cut in June and then at a very gradual pace through the end of the year because essentially they may not want to cut back to back because for fear of markets essentially extrapolating out that easing trend and markets could anticipate them getting back to neutral much sooner than what they actually want to kind of guide markets towards.
Speaker 1: That was Black Fox's Laura Cooper. Now, we are expecting data for inflation out of Europe in the next few days to examine what they could mean for the future path of great cards. Bloomberg's ECB reporter Alexander Webber has been speaking to me about what exactly we're expecting from those figures.
Speaker 10: We expect the number to come in roughly at a similar level as in February, meaning around two point six. There are some, including Bloomberg Economics, who forecast a slight decline to two point four. So all of that is in line with the expectation that inflation will continue to slow, but at a slower pace than what we've seen in recent months.
Speaker 1: Does the CPI number tell us the whole story? Do you think about the inflation.
Speaker 10: Picture at the moment. There's a bigger focus also on the core number. Again that is still higher than the headline number, which has been driven lower by energy. At the core, the driving forces are really services, so that's where a lot of the focus is. We also expect a slight decline in the core inflation number to two point nine, so still reasonably above the two percent target that the ECB is signing.
Speaker 1: Have there been indicators and that in the slowdown in inflation is actually substantial on here to say, there are some concerns about potentially a spike higher once inflation does actually dip, that it then could rebound.
Speaker 10: That could be rebound in the second half of the year. So even if inflation hits two percent around the middle of the year, which is what some forecasters are saying, that doesn't mean the inflation fight is really over. So the ECB wants to see inflation stay sustainably at the two percent level, and that may not be really the case until next year. So that's partly because there's energy costs have been so volatile on a kind of government measures that are now being phased out. That all makes for a very bumpy path down to the two percent target.
Speaker 1: Okay, so bumpy path, but how much bearing Also, do you think that the individual figures next week you're going to actually have on the ECB's first rate decision.
Speaker 10: So we have a rate decision on April eleven. The officials have already pretty clearly guided us toward a cut in June, so nobody's really expecting any action in April. The inflation figure is probably not going to change all that much about it. What officials are really waiting for is wage data for the first quarter, and that doesn't come in until May even early June, and that's when we have the real certainty about what's going on in the economy and the crucial wage data that people are waiting for.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I mean, do you think the markets are pricing in interest rate cuts in the curve of rate cuts too aggressively for the rest of the year. What's of you?
Speaker 10: That is very difficult to say at the moment, so market surprising around for cuts. There's been very little clarity on what happens after June. Some officials have said that expectations are about reasonable where they are now. On the other hand, the environment is so uncertain that nobody wants to really be too concrete about the path for interest rates down. The views seem to be diverging quite a lot at the moment, and a lot will just depend on the data, how it comes in, whether there's going to be breaks on the way down, and then how things develop in the fall. That's when we're going to have more clarity. At the moment, there's really a high level of uncertainty.
Speaker 1: Yeah absolutely. I'm in the deposit rate for the ECB is at a higher four percent, so yes, the kind of clarity on how that comes down is quite uncertain. Just talk to us a bit about European services. Could this be a cause for inflation perhaps to remain sticky, is that the main worry that we've seen in terms of the inflation rate for the twenty area Eurozone.
Speaker 10: Yeah, service is absolutely key at the moment because it's solabor intensive, and that means wages are play playing a much bigger role than in other sectors of the economy. And the labor market is still very tight, especially in light of the economic weakness that we've seen. Even been a recession in Germany in or likelihood, but still the labor market has held up very well. And if an economic rebound really materializes now in the coming quarters, that means the labor market is pro not going to soften any further. So wages are really where it's at. Demands from labor unions are still very elevated, and we have to see whether they can realize these demands, what companies are saying, whether they give in and services are really the key.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Alisond, How does you compare globally then, I mean e's Europe is actually approaching the two percent inflation target. It does seem to be that there's been a convergence in recent weeks around the view of the in the Bank of England, the ECB all cutting interest rates around the same time in June. Is that what you're seeing in the data? How likely is that to remain in place, that idea of convergence.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it does seem like that at the moment. There was for a while there was the worry that, especially in the US where the economy is just stronger, that the FED may not be able to cut as soon. And then the question is always what does that mean for the ECB. Does the ECB dare to go first or do they want to avoid that kind of divergence, which of course has some impact on the exchange rate and so on. But at the moment it does seem also when you listen to what Fed officials are saying Jerom Powell still guiding for a cut this year, then it does seem like convergence is still the most likely scenario.
Speaker 1: That was Alexander Webber, Bloomberg's ECB reported, they're speaking to me around the inflation to expecting from Europe and what it might mean for the eacy beat. My thanks to him for joining me. I'm Caroline Hepge here in London. You can catch us every weekday morning for Blueberg Daybreak Europe, beginning at six am in London. That's one am on Wall Street.
Speaker 2: Tom Well, thank you, Caroline, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend to look at the social media app TikTok. Will the app be allowed to stay in the US or get banned? I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. I'm Tom Busby in New York with your global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. After passing in the House, the US Senate now working on a bill that would force TikTok's Chinese parent company to either sell the app or be banned in the US on national security concerns. For more, let's get to Bloomberg day Break Asia co host Doug Krisner Tom.
Speaker 11: The Senate will return from recess in a week. Before the break, the chair of the Commerce Committee, Maria Cantwell, said she's considering a public hearing on the TikTok bill. You may know that it passed the House back in March, and the President has said he's willing to sign it. For a closer look at what maybe next. I'm joined in the San Francisco studio by Bloomberg's Asia Counts. She covers social media. She's also a member of the Technology America's West Team. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad we could do this. One of the things that I've read is that this bill has already run into several roadblocks in the Senate, and it doesn't seem as though there is a great deal of consensus on how to approach whatever issues are at stake here. Is there any agreement though that you're aware of? Is their commonality?
Speaker 12: I think that Congress can agree that there needs to be some sort of data privacy legislation. Again, like you said, they disagree on what exactly that would look like. But we've really seen Congress come together around this TikTok stuff and mobilize a way that they haven't been able to do for a host of other issues.
Speaker 11: One of the arguments against an outright ban has to do with the violation of the First Amendment. Are you hearing that that has any kind of traction as a rebuttal to this move to ban TikTok?
Speaker 12: I mean, it seems like all the rebuttals that may have come and TikTok has used an argument themselves haven't really seemed to gain ground, but that is one that TikTok has used, that these users, these one hundred and seventy million Americans, should have the right to be able to share their voices and their stories and to hear other people's voices and stories as well.
Speaker 11: One of the fascinating things about this story is the way in which TikTok was able to rally the users together to turn them into effectively lobbyists reaching out to members of Congress pushing back on this legislation, and in a weird way, it feels as though they made the point themselves, showing illustrating the extent to which this platform is so prevalent and has so much influence.
Speaker 7: I agree.
Speaker 12: I think in some ways that actually backfired on TikTok because of that exact reason. You were able to see them influence and sort of mobilize one hundred and seventy million people, and that was sort of an example of how the app could be used. You imagine it being used in a more malicious way of how the app could be weabinized.
Speaker 11: This is not the first time, as we know that the move has taken place in Washington to try to ban this app. During the Trump administration, it seemed like the administration got pretty close. And one of the things that ended up happening was the firm Oracle Corporation, was given the ability to house a lot of the data on service here in the United States as a way of addressing the concern about this level of national security and potential breach of that type of sensitive information. That doesn't seem to have gone far enough. But what do we know about what Oracle is doing to try to keep a hand or a handle on this data in a safe way.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's really interesting because the concern was that the Chinese government at any time could compel TikTok to release national security related data so that they could release data on American users. And so the solution was what you're talking about, which is Project Texas, where Orco is storing all the data of American users on American soil. How effective that is it's hard to tell. I think the arguments about Project Texas really insulating TikTok from China have not convinced Congress. They still have felt like Chinese employees at by dance or the Chinese government can have access, so it hasn't really moved the needle from their perspective, but it's gone further than most tech companies.
Speaker 11: When you look at the pushback. One of the things I think was very interesting, and Vice president Kamala Harris made this point very recently about the degree to which this platform is responsible for supporting small businesses. There are a number of users of TikTok that have really grown businesses by virtue of this app, and there's a real, I guess, a case to be made that you don't want to stifle that type of innovation, right. I mean that in and of itself doesn't like seem to be a very strong case, and I think it's something that people will consider, particularly in the context of this public hering.
Speaker 12: Right, it's a real consequence of the app going away. I think about retail or beauty. There are all kinds of products that go viral on TikTok, and then you can sustain a small business off of that. So I think it's a very real argument to be made. Again, I'm not sure how much the way that argument will have, but it is real. And aside from that, there are thousands, if not millions of creators, individual people that are creating content and able to make a living off of it. I've talked to some of them myself.
Speaker 11: When you consider the fact that the algorithm is really, you know, the golden key here. Okay, it's one thing to talk about housing data, it's another thing about really gaining access to this algorithm. It's been so effective at helping to drive users into the content that they would be most interested in. There's probably not a way where Beijing would allow something like that to fall in American hands? Am I right? Or I'm wrong?
Speaker 12: I mean, I wouldn't want to allow that, right. I mean the explosive growth of TikTok is because of the algorithm. You go on and it kind of knows you better than you know yourself in some ways, and you finds out your interests and it's incredibly effective at that. So I would not want that to fall into someone else's hands.
Speaker 11: It's important to remember too, that this is not the first move to ban TikTok in a country. India two years ago was very successful. They moved very quickly, and it wasn't just TikTok that was banned. I think fifty eight different apps created by Chinese firms were also banned from the India market. That said, at that point, TikTok really hadn't developed that much traction in India to become a threat to Bye Dance. Totally different story in the US, right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely. I mean all these tech companies sort of behind the scenes have been lobbying for TikTok to be banned because it would benefit them. You think about Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, they all benefit if TikTok gets banned. And then there is this sort of tension of like Facebook is banned in China and it's been banned for almost a decade, so you kind of see this back and forth between different countries.
Speaker 11: Asha, thank you so much for making time to chat with us at Bloomberg. Say Asia counts should covers social media and as a member of the Technology America's team. Now, let's pivot to China. We moved to Hong Kong next and co host Brian Curtis.
Speaker 3: Doug China's PMIS may show further improvement in one key area of the economy. We'll get the numbers for March in the coming week. The official PMI is projected to come in at fifty point one, back in expansion after last month's reading of forty nine point one, but clearly more work is needed to get the Chinese economy buzzing. Some investors had worried that China might be poised to allow the Chinese currency to weaken to add support, but then traders were confused by some back and forth movements in the pboc's reference rate fixes. Joining us now for some clarity on this is Tanya Chen, a specialist on FX and rates for Bloomberg News. So Tanya, policymakers first triggered a yuan selloff partially by weakening that rate, before then causing a rebound via some stronger settings in the next couple of days.
Speaker 13: What do we know the yuon fix, which obviously is the clearest signal that the PBOC can send in terms of what it's trying to signal around the currency. The rebuttal last week showed that perhaps the initial tolerance for letting the currency slightly weaken in the yuon fix, Perhaps equity markets reaction was not what they had hoped for, and so some investors are actually saying the sentiment actually hasn't stabilized around the currency, and the PBOC was perceived by the investment community that perhaps the PBOC was allowing the currency to decline ahead of the FED which is expected to ease later this year, and that was seen as a positive. However, due to how the markets sold off on that, the PBOC quickly reined it back in the days following by issuing much stronger fixes, and from that we saw kind of the currency strengthen. But then and also state banks coming back into the market and trying to defend the currency. Or around this seven point two line.
Speaker 3: Do we have a general sense that the PBOC wants to loosen their grip a bit on the currency or just the reverse.
Speaker 13: I think there's a couple of factors that the PBC needs to consider. Obviously, the general sentiment around the economy right now is fairly gloomy given what we've seen around the macroeconomic data.
Speaker 7: Yes, we've seen a few green shoots appearing.
Speaker 13: However, the PBOC is trying to manage a very stable currency depreciation around the currency, but also around.
Speaker 7: Its main trading partners.
Speaker 13: And actually, if you were to look kind of across the sea where the Japanese yen is trading. You know that it's also fairly weak, even after the Bank of Japan had hiked rates earlier this month, and so there's a couple of factors that the PBC needs to take into account. And obviously the widening yield interest rate differential between the yuan and also the US rates is one to consider. Considering that the pboc's economy is so on the back foot that most of the market is expecting the central bank to either lower interest rates later this year or to at least loosen the economy some more.
Speaker 3: Is there any sort of line in the sand for authorities on the one so.
Speaker 13: After the PBOC came back and rained the currency by setting stronger fixes last week, the currency was trading roughly weaker than seven point two, which was a line that they had actually fixed and maintained for the last six months or so. By allowing the currency to tread slightly weaker than seven point two shows that perhaps there is some slight signal that they're allowing the currency to marginally depreciate. We know that the last major cap that the PBOC had enforced with seven point three, and that was a line that they held most of late last year and also last summer when you saw that the reference rate with from Estimus was over thirteen hundred pips, and that was quite a strong signal to the market that they were enforcing a specific line. However, if you take another step back and you look at just what the implied volatility markets are telling you about the general sentiment towards the currency right now, you're seeing that volatility is actually not as elevated as what we have seen when the currency was weakening around seven point three, nor is it as high as it was during the trade war in twenty eighteen or when it was devalued at twenty fifteen.
Speaker 7: So taking all of this and taking this.
Speaker 13: Step back, actually the kind of bearishness around the currency is still slightly maintained.
Speaker 3: What's odd about this is that it seems like the PBOC is fixing is meant to be and has been one of the more transparent parts of China's currency regime, and now a lot of that seems to be a little bit up in the air.
Speaker 13: That's right, and I think that's also indicative of how they've been issuing monetary.
Speaker 7: Policy as of late as well.
Speaker 13: So we had seen officials coming ahead of certain announcements such as cutting the reserve requirement ratio. The way that they're managing communication around the currency could potentially track with how they're also managing the monetary policy in that they're potentially trying to catch traders off guard, and that might be a more effective way of getting what they need to be done in the market.
Speaker 3: Tanya, thanks so much for joining us. Tanya Chen a specialist on FX and rates for Bloomberg News. I'm Brian Curtis in Hong Kong along with Doug Krisner. You can catch us every weekday here for Bloomberg Daybreak Asia, beginning at eight am in Hong Kong and eight pm on Wall Street.
Speaker 2: Tom thank you, Brian. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street time for the latest on markets overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Tom Busby. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.