Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you.
Speaker 2: Can have.
Speaker 1: Because for the first time in your life, you're making a decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Master Class. I'm your host, Rashaan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your aham, it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own cap winning. My guess is the executive director of the Student Freedom Initiative and this title gets bigger as we go along. Please welcome the Money Making Conversation Master Class. The President, Chief Executive Officer of Student Freedom Initiative, Doctor Mark Brown. How are you doing, shirt?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great with you on how are you doing?
Speaker 1: First of all, I've been trying to get you for a while, sir. If some people need your conversations on my.
Speaker 2: Airways, well, we're boring, happy to share.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about you. Let's give us some background on your doctor, Mark Brown.
Speaker 2: All right, So I am, as you said right now, the president's CEO of Student Free am Initiation, which is a nonprofit based out of Washington that focuses on HBCUs. But my journey started at at HBCU. I'm a product of Tuskegee Institute turned Tuskegee University down in Alabama, where I went through the ROTC program and would go on to serve thirty two years in the Air Force, retiring as a Major General. After that, I was appointed by the Secretary of Education to be the Chief Operating Officer of Department of Education, which is what controls all the free application for federal student a for student law and portfolio, those kinds of things. It was there that I met Robert F. Smith, who is the chairman and CEO of Vista Equity but also the chairman of our board Student Freedom Initiative, and I look forward to talking to you about that and what we've been doing.
Speaker 1: Well, tell us a little bit more about him, you know, I've read about him and he did some an amazing academic contribution to Morehouse a couple of years ago. Can you talk about that.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, that's exactly right. So he was a graduation speaker at Morehouse College, and Robert during that speech, I think surprised a lot of folks. He promptly announced that he was going to put a little bit of a little bit of help to those students that were about to graduate by paying off all of their student loans. When he did that, there were about four hundred young men in the class of twenty nineteen. It was about a thirty eight million dollar check. But he did it all. He paid all of their student loans, their parent plus loans. There was no student freedom initiative at the time. As I said, I was over the Department of Education. We had a one point seven trillion dollars student loan portfolio. About one third of that was bad debt, delinquent defaulted overrepresented by people of color. Robert pull the Morehouse College students out of that group, paid their loans, and he continued to mentor that class of twenty nineteen to day.
Speaker 1: Now, what was that dollar amount again? What was that dollar amount?
Speaker 2: Thirty about thirty eight million?
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, just get you know added up right now. I always if you had it wrong, I'm gonna have to correct you because you know, because I'm gonna just tell you a little bit of background about HBCUs. You know, you know, you can have academic success, but if you owe money, you can't walk. You can't walk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: And I know that in some of these debts are like very very it could be like one hundred dollars, five hundred dollars, they could be that low, you know, but these students are struggling and they need these debts paid off. And so the fact that he made that moment, it did change a lot of lives. Because these students on that twenty and eighteen graduating class it was twenty nineteen. He changed their lives. And what we need is more of that happening. Because what's happening, and you can speak on this, doctor Mark Brown, is that because of DEI, especially with HBCUs, are on their attack. Correct.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, absolutely. While we know that the facts show that HBCUs have contributed more doctors, more military officers, more veterinarians, more lawyers of color to the nation than all of the other schools that exist to do those same kinds of things. So they have done more than carry their weight as an entity and they've done so in most cases with less resources. Robert saw that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I would like to, you know, throw out my information to Dr Mark Brown, sev the dentists and doctors in the medical field are bl who are black com from HBCUs. Of the school teachers who are black come hbc come from HPCC HBCUs. Forty percent of the members of Congress come from who are black come from HBCUs. Thirty three percent of the STEM graduates who are black come from HBCUs. You know, seventy percent of the judges who are black come from hpc US. So, like I said, I know when you come on this show, I didn't graduate from an HBCU, but I'm an advocate of HBCU. So when I bring a doctor Mark Brown on the show, you know, that's why I was trying to hunt him down because he didn't know who I was. He didn't know he had an advocate here. He know he had a bullhorn, and that bullhorn is important. So the information he's telling us on the show today gets out.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, and you you are so right now all those statistics that you just called out, isn't that a that's a national treasure. That's a national treasure. We would not want to lose the ability of these schools to be able to do this. And that has a lot to do with why Robert founded the Student Freedom Initiative. He didn't just stop at Morehouse. His vision was far big, far greater than that. He said, no, we have to do something for all of our HBCUs so that when a student leaves Cool ready to take off with that new degree in their hand, that they are being held down by crushing debt. I'll give you an example, you know, Let's say that Let's say that one student goes to Tugaloo College, another student goes to Brown University. One student has to get a parent plus loan four years in a row to close the cost of their cause. The other student gets an endowed scholarship from the endowment of let's say it's Brown University. Well, we added up the endowments of all of our HBCUs and we compared it him to the smallest endowment at Ivy League school, and the numbers are significantly different. Right it would if we added up all of the you wouldn't get two point one billion. And if you added up just one endowment in an Ivory League school, you could get that much. So these students could be equally smart, They could be equally sharp on their academics, they could both be chemical engineers. One graduates and invest their money and they grow well the other graduates, and they spend a good percentage twenty thirty forty percent of their money servicing the debt they had to take on to get out of college. That creates what we all called the wealth gap in America. The wealth gap in America starts right there and has nothing to do with talent, because both of these students were equally talented. It had to go with the position of where they started from. And so to get to that wealth gap, what we're saying is we want to reduce the amount of debt that that student has to pay coming out of college, and we offer programs to do that. And that's that's the whole purpose really.
Speaker 1: Because those endowments are the key change. You know, the information is out there. You know some stuff, you can google, somethings, you do research. For instance, when he was talking about endowment, we don't even have to go to Ivy League, we don't have to go there. Let's just choose the University of Nebraska. We're not university of the football power, maybe a basketball power. You know, their endowment at the University of Nebraska is one point seven billion dollars. That's right, that's the endowment. That's the Howard University. Howard University has the largest endowment seven hundred million.
Speaker 2: That's right. And if that's the if that's the greatest endowment amongst HBCUs, where do you think the rest of those one hundred and one fault? Yeah, their numbers are significantly lower. We have to build up their endowments. We have a plan for that. Let me tell you this really quick plan. Part of it.
Speaker 1: No, take your time, Brown, you're my show, Okay, take your time. Don't have to do anything quick. On this show, we were talking about uplifting young people, educating parents, and letting other people who are lums, letting them know the tide is turned learning.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. So what we say is for a STEM students Science Technology, Engineering, mathematics student, or a student getting a STEM certification in some other major, if that student is making satisfactory academic progress and they're in their rising junior senior year, then we say don't take the parent plus law. We'll give you up to twenty thousand dollars in your junior year and up to twenty thousand dollars in your senior year for valid academic costs in what we call an income contingent agreement. And here's how this thing works. First of all, we don't require your parents to be indebted to do it, because we believe that that's a problem. My parents are at their home buying stage and they don't need these large debts on their on their credit records. So what we say is, if you take an income contingent agreement, we will fund it based on the fact that we believe in the future you're going to be successful and you don't have to be indebted at the moment with your parents. So the way that works is you take up to twenty thousand dollars if you're a junior senior in one of these categories, and when you graduate, if you decide to go into public service, like you're going to be a teacher or you're going to be a policeman or something like that. If you decide to do one of these jobs and you're not making more than three hundred percent of the federal poverty level, which would be about forty eight to fifty thousand dollars if we use today's numbers. Then you don't pay us back during that period. If you decide that you're going to leave Tuskegee and go to law school at Howard or go to law school at Cornell, you don't pay us back while you're in that law school. Let's say that you decide to go to DuPont. You're going to make ninety thousand dollars a year. We're going to be two point five percent of your income for every ten thousand you took out. So if it's if you took out ten thousand, it'll be two point five percent of income. But you don't pay us back. We're a nonprofit. You pay into what we call the Student Freedom Find. We grow that Student Freedom Find through philanthropy, access to low interest capital, and it reaches the point of about five hundred million dollars and then it revolves around and funds itself by payments coming back and by philanthropy. And what we tell all of the schools that are a part of our organization. We have sixty three schools in our organization today. What we tell them, is you use that fund as your collective endowment, your endowment without walls, and you don't send those students back to the parent plus loans system. You send them to this fund, and therefore we fund ourselves. Does that make sense? We begin we build our own collective endowment, which allows us to keep students out of what we believe is a debt trap loans like the parent plus loan, and there's some commercial private loans that do the same thing and put them in one where if they do pay it back, they're paying it back into their own endowment.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that, I think I hear it is really clear. And this is what schools, especially HBCUs have been you know, complaining about, you know, graduates investing back into schools and helping build the endowment. And so what you're saying, if I'm here is Gregor, We're gonna help you get through school, okay, if you qualify, and then when you but we don't want the money back. The nonprofit don't want the money back. We want you to take that money because now you're successful, as you pay it back, we want you to pay it back in the endowment. And that becomes a pay it forward opportunities, because that's what that's what's really hurting HBCUs because of the fact that all these individuals graduate. They may be and I'm not saying anything negative to anybody, but I'm just talking about the facts of why endowment opportunities aren't growing at various HBCUs. When I say that, the one may call Howard the most prestigious college and most well known HBCU out there, and they're only at seven hundred million as an endowment, we have a problem.
Speaker 2: We have a problem. It's it's an inequity and it's a gap, and it leads to an income gap as well because of how you have to pay back these loans. So everything that we do we do through an economic leans economic lens. I'll give you I'll give you another example. Most of our hbcuses, as you know, I've heard you cite the history here. Most a lot of them are land grant universities, right. They came around eighteen eighty one. They were given land, right, and this was everybody wanted them to have land because they wanted they wanted segregation. They didn't want them going to college with others. So they were given lots of land. Our ancestors built these schools. They now have lots of land. In fact, they are what I would call in many cases land rich and cash poor. But they have challenges with infrastructure, buildings maintenance because of the things that are old. And do they take on long term debt to repair those things making themselves still attractive to students or what do they do?
Speaker 3: We have a.
Speaker 2: Program with a company called Steinbridge that we could talk about.
Speaker 1: Now, OK, let's hold that thought for the break. I'm gonna go to the break. I want to bring that back because I still want to get more clarity. Let everybody know how that program works, the payback program, because they really need to hear that. Because also you have another nice program if you get your job in the underserved community. Because he didn't bring that up. When we come back, you're gonna hear that's another outstanding program. They're doing it right at the Student Freedom Initiative. Don't go nowhere talking to doctor Mark Brown. You're listening to the host, Rashawn McDonald.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rashawn McDonald. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashawn McDonald.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm interviewing the president and chief and taking the officer of Student Freedom Initiative, doctor Mark Brown. Now doctor Mark Brown. As we were, as we were closing that the interviews, you're about to bring up the Steinbridge. But before we go into detail there, it also is about uh if students who take jobs and underserved community, underserved communities. There's also a benefit that you guys provide as well.
Speaker 2: Correct, that's correct. But if a if a student decides that they want to teach chemistry, Let's say they decided they wanted to teach chemistry, and what we would call like a Title I school in a program of a school of low income students, and their and their teacher salary only reaches a certain level if they have a a income contingent agreement from us, they don't pay it during that period of time. They don't pay it back. In other words, we'll like and if they stayed there long enough, it would end up being just eliminated altogether. But while they are there and while their income is at that level, they are not required to pay us. And and and the reason being is we understand, right, we understand that that's a that is a public service where it's for the greater good and the person at the time is not in the position to make those payments. And that's why it's income contention. In other words, we are we are we are valuing the service that they're going to go during that time and not strapping them without additional debt, which is.
Speaker 1: Really important because of the fact that you getting a person who's giving back by serving the community that normally doesn't get talent like them who have co academic success in these communities. And if you don't, if we don't straighten up our communities ourselves, then there won't be a community to fix us right now.
Speaker 2: And and we know the value of teachers for example, we know the value of the color in front of these communities that are talented. Uh. And it makes it makes service sense for the name SHO. It makes perfect sense for everybody. And I want to cent advise and go to go do.
Speaker 1: Those and I want to bring up a little, little little levity, little uplift a different world. The nbc HO is doing HBCU tour. They were recently on the campus of Clark I think they kicked it off on the campus of Clark Atlanta University.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Student Fund Initiative is tied to that.
Speaker 2: Correct, that's right. We're parted with them as well as Cisco and others where we are uh bringing back and depending on your your time frame, many people were introduced to HBCU life through It's a Different World. Uh. Many people saw this life for the first time. UH. And now while we want to encourage enrollment to go up, we want to encourage philanthropy to go up. We want to encourage investment to go up. Because of that. Uh, we're we're on a tour with the characters, the original characters on a different world and they are business.
Speaker 1: I'm a Jasmine guy. You're talking about Darryl Bell, that's my boy. You talk a cadeen. I know, I know they zoomed in. It'sen bad at the last at the session, it's all your favorites are going to be there. It's really was. I went to it. It was packed. It was packed, so a lot of love. There's a lot of love. And so I know they have an event coming up next month on the campus of Howard University. So if you're in the area, I know, I got a lot of listeners in the DC area. A different world tour will be HBCU tour will be on the campus of Howard University.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's being funded an additional asset that you guys are bringing to the table by the Student Fund Initiative, Freedom Fund Initiative, and so and so when we look at all these things that you guys are trying to do, what is thevision before we get to Steinbridge? What is thevision that.
Speaker 2: Can I just add to you that just so your viewers will know. It's April ninth. Okay, April Howard, April ninth at Howard and in the fall we'll be down in Montgomery doing it with Alabama State and Tuskegee as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, you know you had to get down to tuske you know, the CEO and president. You know you've been thrown out at Tuskegee if the two didn't come down. That problem was the first one book we got to go down to TUSKEI I got all that other I got Howard, I got Clark, but you got to make it down to my scow and.
Speaker 2: I do want to make sure I say that Cisco and Wells Fargo are all are all combining with us as well as Student Preme Initiative. We are all partners and trying to bring this to our HBCU campus and re awakening that spirit and that that spirit and experience that we all love so much that you can find uniquely on an AHC.
Speaker 1: You know, one of one of the driving things that when I think about HBCUs is and one of the things that where I'm advocated because I have a special gift I feel in marketing and branding and and I always feel that, you know, I've used it to build a lot of careers and sold a lot of products for Fortune five in the companies, and that's one of my missions, you know, to take my gifts and and and and and allow individuals like you a platform like this was a very honest, open, and a highly successful platform where you can like come on here. And so just always know, doctor Brown, this is your home, this is your voice. This is an advocacy I broadcast on an HBCU campus, and so it's it's a place where you can grow your message.
Speaker 2: Well, we appreciate that we need, we need our voice to get out there, and we appreciate platforms like yours where we're allowed to speak freely about these matters that are so important to us, and we believe to.
Speaker 1: Everyone, Well, you're one of the things that has always been a talk is about new housing around HBCU campuses. And let's talk about now we're going to slide over to the Steinbridge group tell us about that.
Speaker 2: So, as I was saying earlier, if we took a survey, did a study of about fifty eight HBCU presidents, and one of the questions that we ask those presidents what's your number one concern? And more times than not they said infrastructure aging, infrastructure facilities, in other words, bringing their beautiful campuses up to par with others. And the challenge is to do that, sometimes you have to take on long term debt as a university, which is not good for the university. So this vision that we're talking about with Steinbridge is what we would call kind of impact investing. So if you're in and I'll use Virginia Union as our first example, so they own property outside of the actual campus property, they own property, and they also have a housing shortage. Their ability to recruit premier faculty and folks like that who want to live where they work, and this is an Richmond area. It's really dependent on affordable housing, and we know that affordable housing is a challenge across the country. So Steinbridge provides the capital to build the affordable housing and the university then leases the land to Steinbridge. So what has happened, that's what's different about that. Instead of the university going and getting a loan and making loan payments each month to get this what we would call a capital asset that's needed, they get the capital asset and they turn that land into revenue generating land. So not only do they now have a place or they will when these houses are built for their faculty and others to live in and affordable housing, they also have revenue coming in to their school. And where does that revenue go or where can it go? That revenue can go into the same thing that we just got to talk about, which is the endowment of the school, to continue to grow the endowment, and at the same time they get the benefit of having affordable houses. We're taking that model across the country to various schools. There are two versions of it. One is which Steinbridge, which is the housing for a faculty in others that is right outside the campus, but perhaps the land is owned by the campus. The other is to take a dormitory facility or living space on campus and do the same thing and lease the land, but then get a new dormitory for the students that's modern and allow the school to get payments into their from that least. This new model is exciting. I think we've had a meaning with many universities. Many are going in giving us their data when it's economically feasible, We're going to look to do it, and a lot of schools will be able to now get their capital asset without going into long term debt.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Very powerful, very understanding about how are you trying to make a difference. Robert Smith is making a difference with this fun Again, I want to thank you, doctor Mark Brown. It was worth the effort, It's worth the wait to get you on the show, and any website we can drive them to you can tell us about this interview.
Speaker 2: Absolutely to all your viewers listeners. Let me say Student Freedom Initiative dot org. You go to Student Freedom Initiative dot org. You can learn about everything that we just talked about today, plus many more that we did not talk about in this series, and I would encourage a couple of things. One, go out to that website. If you have a a junior or senior in high school. Now let's make an HBCU one of their options. They may have many options, but let's make an HBCE you at least one of their options. Because there we know what they'll be loved taking care of, and we know they'll be and they will do what many schools do not do. They'll create the social and economic mobility for that student that we know that will be generationally different for them and their families as they go out and do great things in the country.
Speaker 1: Doctor Marc Brown, thank you for coming on Money Making Conversation Masterclass.
Speaker 2: It's great talking to you. Thank you very much for having me appreciate again.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to my show every week. Again. I'll be back next week. And in closing, keep winning and always leave with your gifts.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot Com, and always remember to lead with your gifts th